Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:33 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Urgent Help Required With An On-line Portfolio
#119094 05/27/04 04:47 AM
Bevis Offline OP
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
Righty-ho guys, I'm posting this both at the Mission monitor Board and the Bits forums so as to make sure as many people notice as possible, but if'n a mod feels it should go elsewhere then I'm fine with it being moved.

Anyways, Comic Book Idol 2.

I'm gonna submit but at the moment I don't have a website of my own. Sure there's the Queen of Dimaonds page at the Gay League site as well as Oddcases at opi8 but I can only post one link and I want to maximise things as much as I can by having some QoD stuff, some Oddcases and some random pin-ups and things.

Only I'm completely e-nept. I have no idea what I'm doing with web pages and things. So I need some help/advice. I want to know what the best (ie simplest, but also good looking) host is for an on-line portfolio. It doesn't need to be anything fancy at all, just something that i can upload pages to easily and have them easily accesible to everyone. I'm happy to pay for a better site and want to avoid anything with too many pop-ups (although I don't mind banner ads as long as they're not huge). I know yahoo do decent sites for things like that but I'm not sure how good they really are or how easy they are to use.

Thing is, final submission date is this coming Monday (31st) and it's the comics convention down in Bristol this weekend so between tomorrow morning and Sunday night I'm pretty much out of the picture. f'n there's anyone willing to help me out give me ashout. Probably easiest to do it here on the boards since I've got two e-mail adresses but one is my work one and I won't be able to get to it after this afternoon and the other is my yahoo one which is... well it's OK, but I'm more likely to check here.

Thanking you kindly. smile

Bevis

Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)
Re: Urgent Help Required With An On-line Portfolio
#119095 05/27/04 03:27 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I wish I could help Bevis, but I'm completely computer e-nept too smile ! I hope it works out though!

#119096 05/27/04 03:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Bevis you could try this site: http://www.voodoochilli.net/. Or if you just need a place to post your pics I could provide a folder on my site where you could just link to the images for the contest. Hell, I'll even provide a link on the front page of my site to get to it as well. Just say the word.

#119097 05/27/04 03:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
If you have an FTP program, goto Portland Communications , sign up for the free 15MB using "bevis" or whatever in the first subdomain box and your e-mail address. It's what I did to get http://nightcrawler.8bit.co.uk/ . And then if you need further help, Bevis, let me know.

#119098 05/27/04 03:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oops! Sorry Scott. I was finding links as you posted. Using Portland you can set up your own page and/or link to the images you load to it. Like I do here - [Linked Image]

#119099 05/27/04 04:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Which will probably work just as well. Voodoo Chilii seems to be having some issues. At least on my end.

#119100 05/27/04 05:12 PM
Honorary
Honorary
I may be able to help...hell...I may be able to help all Legionworld members. laugh

I am about to make a major change to my website. I'm getting rid of php-nuke...it's overkill for my needs.

What I am doing, though, is keeping the Gallery script. I have more than enough space...and plenty of bandwidth to waste right now. So I can create an album for anyone who wants one.

Initially, I was going to just create a dumping ground album, however I don't like the lack of control that gives the uploader. Because anyone can access it and upload to it...nobody other than me would be able to delete a picture that they uploaded. I don't like that...and I doubt anyone uploading to the gallery would either. wink

What I can do is manually create the gallery and apply better permissions for users that register a userid on my site. The only catch is that if I do it now...you'll probably have to reregister when I revamp the site (I don't know if php-nuke's user database will migrate smoothly to galleries).

If you're interested...go ahead and sign up on my website ( http://www.draub.net ) and shoot me an e-mail, or respond to this thread with your userid on my site, or send me a site PM, or smoke signals, or whatever and I'll set up the gallery and permissions for you. laugh

P.S. - Registration requires an e-mail address...but rest assured I have a very strict privacy policy. I don't like spam...and I sure as hell won't be responsible for anyone else getting any. (now that I think about it...I don't think I've even sent out a website update notice to the users I already have registered). wink

#119101 05/27/04 07:39 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Try signing up at Graffiti.net for 20 MB of free Web space, with no banner ads or popups, along with a free e-mail account that can hold up to 10 MB. The Web space allows remote linking to files and images that you use, and all files can be uploaded (one at a time) through a Web interface, without needing an FTP program.

If you do have WsFTP (also free) or something similar, though, I can second Gary's recommendation for the free FTP space at Portland Communications. One apparently can sign up for several accounts, each with 15 MB of storage.

#119102 05/28/04 12:06 AM
Bevis Offline OP
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I haven't really got time to check them this morning (busy, busy. The builders are here doing the conservatory, I've still gotta pack and I need to get some shopping before getting the train. Eeek) but I'll spend Sunday night looking round. LL and Grey's suggestions sound like the best kind of thing, but if I have a complete mare I may have to come running to you LL and take you up on the offer of hosting the pics. laugh

Anyways, if I don't get a chance before I'll update you all on Subnday evening (my time). Thanking you all again in advance.

See, I knew I could rely on Legion World to help me out. laugh

#119103 05/28/04 12:18 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
No problem Bevis. Just take care of what you need to and holler when you are ready for help. Monday is a holiday here in the states (Memorial Day) so I'll be home and ready to help when you need it.

#119104 05/30/04 09:33 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, we got a page set up for Bevis. All he needs to do know is submit his entry. If you want to take a look at his work, visit: http://www.lightninglad.com/bevis/bevis.htm

#119105 05/31/04 10:01 AM
Bevis Offline OP
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
yay, I'm on the submissions list! Only go to wait till Thursday now to see if'n I manage to get into the ten. Crossing my fingers now.

And of course loads and loads of thanks to everyone who's suggested stuff and offered help and especial thanks to Scott for pretty much sorting the entire thing when I proved a little too ineffective for my own good. laugh

B

#119106 06/03/04 02:04 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#119107 06/04/04 12:28 AM
Bevis Offline OP
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
I know, booo, they have no tatse. wink

Actually (and this kinda sounds like sour grapes, but never mind) is it just me or are the ten that were picked pretty much all a bit... well, samey. Some of the people who submitted (and I admit I've not looked thorugh them all fully) are fantastic and not the normal kind of comic artists that you get these days, whereas the ones they've picked are all very mainstream and a bit safe, I guess. i mean they're all accomplished artists and there are a couple there that'd I'd definately have picked but you'd think the judges would have gone for more of a range of styles and such. As is there doesn't seem all that much to differentiate the final ten. Of course over the next five weeks we could see a bit more vairety from them. I do hope so.

All that being said I think I may well take part in the Play At Home version, just to give me a bit of practice in working to a deadline and other peoples specifications. As they've said on the CBR boards a lot of pros look at the PAH stuff and there's nothing bad that can come from it. Plus, of course, it could be quite good fun. smile

But thanks to everyone who helped me put my submission together with an extra mention to Scot (obviously) but also to everyone who gave suggestions and offered support and such. You guys are the best *sob*. laugh

#119108 06/04/04 01:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Glad I could help but I was sorry to see you not get in Bevis. And I kind of agree with your feelings on the ones who were chosen. One of their choices was way too anime for me. I'm sorry but this isn't an anime contest, which I think should be a separate genre.

I was glad, though, to see one of the ones that did pique my interest (besides Bevis) make the cut. Carlos Rodriguez from Madrid, Spain did a JLA/Crisis type layout that just caught my interest.

And one of the submissions actually, to me, kinda looked like Brainy .

Anyway, do continue with the PaH version Bevis and send me your stuff. I'll post it to the site I created for you.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,249
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Kent Shakespeare
Kent Shakespeare
Hudson Valley
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star