Roll Call
1 members (Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler), 68 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:41 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21
Re: LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval
#119464 08/24/11 03:33 PM
Active
Active
Timberwolf kissed Kalla on the cheek. "I'll be right back," he said in her ear.

He walked past several of the Legionnaires present and towards Lard Lad. Lardy was moving towards Cobalt Kid, but Lon grabbed his arm and said, ",,,follow me."

Lard Lad got a quizzical look on his face, and followed. Once they had moved a good distance from the rest of the group Lon stopped.

"Look Timberwolf, I don’t want..."

"Quiet Anthony."

Lard Lad stopped short. Lon did not usually use his real name...if he had ever at all. He had only really known this aspect of him for a short while, and most of that was while Timberwolf had been involved with Kalla.

"Okay then...Lon. What's up?"

"I just wanted to tell you a couple things."

Lard Lad's eyes darted around a little here and there. "Okay..."

Lon sighed. "Kalla has told me all about the things that you guys planned, and what parts of it you carried out. Just know that I am thankful that you did us all a huge favor then. This would have been all but impossible right now if not for what you had done. Not everyone is going to see it that way, but it's true. The United Planets owes you it's very existence if we pull this off...cause without what you did, this never happens and they would have crushed us eventually…not that they’ll ever admit it."

Lard Lad just looked at him.

"Also, I know that people are going to be very upset with Cobalt for what he did...but know that if he had not done it, I was prepared to. I had the transmission code as well. If he was incapacitated or refused to pull the trigger, I was set to."

Lardy tilted his head a little.

"I would have done it sooner, but he needed the chance to make the decision for himself. But know that it was going to happen whether he wanted to do it or not. I had no problem making that call.”

"Look, you don't need to defend him to me," Lardy said.

"I'm not defending him or his actions. I’m just telling you that it was always going to happen. I was there when the deal was struck."

"There's a lot we don't know about you..."

"There’s a lot you'll never find out either," Lon said with a grin, "it's beyond classified."

Lard Lad laughed a little, not sure if he was joking or not.

"The other thing is this. Take care of him and watch his back. You have to be there for him, even if everyone else isn’t."

"Of course..."

"No, I mean there are going to be really heavy decisions that he has to make coming up that he is going to need you to be there for him as his best friend."

"Look Lon, I'm sure that you..."

"Stop. He may be my best friend, but you are his...and he cares about you more than even you know."

Lon patted Lard Lad on the shoulder as he walked past him towards the others. "Just promise me you'll watch his back," he said, but didn't wait for the answer.

#119465 08/30/11 09:40 AM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
The Gordian Pass,
The Dark Oval

At long last, the time had come. For weeks they had been dreading, knowing full well it was an intricate part of the overall strategy. Yet, most of them kept pushing those thoughts away, not thinking about losing half of their Fellowship. There was strength in numbers, and with overwhelming odds and far deep into enemy territory, that strength helped carry them through their darkest moments. Now that strength was being lessoned.

The Knights Templar gave them space, standing apart some distance away to let this intimate farewell proceed with privacy. Among them in command was the Lard Knight Serj, and he could see through their body language how bittersweet this moment was to the Legionnaires. The Space Knights would not be going with either group; from here on out, they were almost entirely on their own.

The 12 members of the Fellowship gathered together, and unintentional began to separate into the two groups. On one side stood the Legionnaires who would head off to Hrykosia and then Earth-4, attempting to liberate an entire planet. Rockhopper Lad, the LMB Leader, stood first among them, and behind him was Shark Lad, Lolita, Time-Teller Lad with Hyvvie by his feet, Helena Handbasket, Timber Wolf and Kalla Hrykos. On the other side was the smaller group who would head into the area of space unknown to explorers in living memory and known only as the Hive. Standing side by side was Lard Lad, Power Boy, Tempest, Cobalt Kid and Invisible Brainiac. The feeling was bittersweet: that they got this far was nothing short of a miracle. Now they were going off to an even more dangerous phase of the quest, and they would not all be going together.

The silence was so loud it was deafening. Rockhopper Lad smiled a very sad smile to Lard Lad and Lardy returned it; soon they were all smiling a little, some of them even a little teary-eyed. Cobalt Kid was the first to break the silence, walking across to his friend, Timberwolf, and extending his hand.

Timberwolf grinned widely and took it with his own, and then pulled Cobalt in for a tight hug. As the two hugged, Cobalt said to him “I know you’ll be careful, and I trust that you’ll take care of things on this end. Just watch for them all too, okay? Lolita, and Tim, and even the SMBers.”

Timberwolf patted him on the back as the hug was ending and replied “I will,” though what he didn’t say spoke volumes, as his thoughts immediately turned to the nega-bomb. “I know things on your end will work out; fortunes smiles on your plans, you bastard.” With that they both let out a laugh.

“I’m glad somebody does,” replied Cobalt with a smile.

“Take care of yourself, Cobie,” said Lon seriously. “What we’re doing is too grandiose for words, but we both know it’s the right thing.”

Cobalt nodded, and no more words needed to be spoken between them.

Next to them, the other LMBers also embraced one another to say farewell.

Lolita held onto Shark Lad tightly, not moving forward to say goodbye. She knew some of them would come over to her, but she did not know Power Boy or Tempest and she did not want to speak to Cobalt Kid. Power Boy was the first to come over to embrace them all by the arm, and he did so with Shark Lad, whose rugged demeanor he had always liked. He nodded towards Lolita and she nodded back, not really having the words.

Invisible Brainiac came to them next, and he smiled at them both with his heroic, kind disposition. He had been friends with Lolita over the years, as he was with most of his fellow Legionnaires. Lolita at last let go of Shark Lad and embraced him in a tight hug, telling him to be careful and he told her the same.

Shark Lad turned to Timberwolf who was by his side and growled “Too bad we don’t have to say good bye yet…”

Timberwolf grinned and replied “yeah yeah, laugh it up fishlips…” which made Invisible Brainiac laugh as he came by them to say farewell.

Lardy made his way among Rockyhopper Lad's team.

First he approached Lolita and Shark Lad who stood very close together. Lardy gave her a tight hug and messed her hair up a little. He knew that Lolita was much older than she appeared, but he'd come to think of her as a kid sister over the last few years. She smiled a genuine smile that made him think she reciprocated. But now, as always, he still wasn't sure if she really did.

As they embraced, he whispered to her, "I know you may never feel the same about him again, but just know...I'll be keeping him safe."

He pulled back and looked into her eyes. Her expression was stoic, but he could swear that what he said to her was of some comfort to her, hard as she tried to hide it.

He gave Sharky a strong pat on the shoulder. Lardy had served as a Legionnaire with him almost since the beginning. Though they weren't extremely close, he thought of Sharky as a friend. Lardy remembered many incidents where Sharky followed him into the breach, either trusting in Lardy's wisdom...or showing a similar penchant for wrecklessness!

"Give 'em hell, Sharky," Lardy said to him. He added with a whisper, "and take care of little sis, 'kay" Shark Lad nodded and flashed him that characteristically disturbing toothy grin.

Lardy moved on to Lon and Kalla, who were mostly unattended. He considered his options for a moment, then made up his mind. "Kalla, you've fought the good fight against the Red Bee and on Hul. Maybe both of us deserve a second chance, eh?"

Kalla smiled at him in a way that struck Lardy as genuine. "Maybe we do," she answered.

Lardy gave her a light hug and then shared a firm handshake with Lon. A wink told Lon that Lardy hadn't forgotten their recent conversation.

"Give that evil Pyngwyn bastard and his consort one for me, okay?" Lardy said with a smile and then moved on.

He then approached Helena. Wordlessly and without prompting, both drew their swords, held them in front of themselves parallel and in front of their faces, then lightly touched swords. Both were warriors, and that was all that needed to be expressed between them. Silently, he moved on.

Tempest stood apart from them, still very distant and unaccustomed to this emotional display. She turned, however, to see Helena Handbasket now approaching her with her arm extending. Tempest found herself meeting the embrace and Helena pulled her in for a tight, brief hug. “Good luck, Tempest,” she said firmly, and Tempest returned the well wishes with a nod. Both were strong, tough women who had a mutual respect for one another. Helena’s going out of her way to say farewell to Tempest was a small act which meant a great deal to the mage.

Cobalt Kid embraced Rockhopper Lad tightly for a hug to say farewell and wish each other good luck. Though Rockhopper Lad was not pleased with Cobalt’s recent actions, he wished for his friend’s safe return more than anything. “Be careful out there,” he said. “We’re hoping to find allies waiting for us, but you’ll be all alone in a hostile land.”

“We will be,” said Cobalt Kid with a half smile. He then looked him in the eye and said, “you are a great leader for the LMB, Rocky,” meaning every word. “I know you’re going to succeed.”

Cobalt then turned to Time-Teller Lad, who he had always liked a lot and gave him a tight hug. “Try not to be so blood-thirsty,” he said jokingly and Tim laughed at the obvious attempt to cut through some of the tension.

Cobalt then lowered to pet Hyvvie and scratch behind his ears. “Well, of everyone, I wish you were coming with me the most,” he said with a sigh. “When the times get tough, keep them smiling.”

Lon walked to The Knights Templar and shared a moment with each. Talking about where they were headed, and giving them what information he thought would help. He purposely talked to Serj last. He put his hand on his shoulder and ealked opast him, turning hom in the process. He reached down into his vest and pulled out his Omnicom. "I know where you are going. I need you to deliver this to my brother."

Serj took the item and oput it in a safe place in his armor. "I would be honored to deliver this to Dev Em."

"Thank you Serj."

"You're welcome."

Timberwolf gave Serj a light hug and walked back to Kalla's side. "You alright?" she asked.

"Yeah, I am. I'm going with you to our destiny," he said as he hugged her tight.

Power Boy also moved towards the Knights to say farewell to them. He had been impressed by their lifestyle and thought it suited him very well; almost immediately he was instant friends with all of the various Knights they’d met along the journey thus far. They viewed him in a bit of awe most of the time, seeing him a legend come to life, so his kind words to them as he wished them well on their part of the coming troubles were deeply felt.

Cobalt Kid at last arrived at Shark Lad and Lolita. She clutched Shark Lad tightly and made no effort to move forward. Cobalt did his usual best to hide any emotion but there was a clear pain in his eyes. He extended his hand to Shark Lad, realizing there was a tension between them now despite many years being allies and friends, and Shark Lad accepted it. “Be safe out there, Cobie,” said Sharky, genuinely meaning it.

“You too,” he replied, “and give ‘em hell.”

He then turned to Lolita, who met his gaze. “You be safe too, Lolita,” he added, no longer hiding the sadness in his voice. “See you back on Legion World.”

For a moment he lingered as she didn’t say anything, and he turned to walk away. She at last spoke but it was a whisper he didn’t hear: “you too,” she said.

“That was a little cold, Lolita,” said Shark Lad to her.

Finally, Lard Lad approached three sentients who had been his surrogate family for a time: Time-Teller Lad, Hyvvie the Wonder Beagle....and Rockhopper Lad.

"Hyvvie", Lardy said, as he kneeled down and gave the beagle a scratch behind the ears, "I know you'll keep watch over everybody, won't ya, boy?"

Lardy grinned as Hyvvie gave an unmistakably affirmative bark and licked Lardy all over his face.

Standing back up and turning to Time-Teller Lad, Lardy said, "Tim, I know you'll keep 'em all on schedule, right?"

Tim resisted the obvious baiting by Lardy to give him some exact time measurement and instead fought back tears as he spontaneously embraced Lardy tightly. Lardy returned Tim's embrace and smiled at him tenderly. Lardy knew that Tim was thinking of Clive as much as him at that moment.

As he broke from Tim, Lardy turned to the one he knew it would be hardest to say goodbye to. He tried to be cheerful, but as soon as he looked into Rocky's big, soulful eyes, he broke down. "Oh....E-Eudyptes..."

Rockhopper Lad approached his ex-lover and wrapped his arms around Lardy's quavering form. "There, there, Anthony," Rocky said calmly, "we each have our duty to attend to. And I am certain this won't be the last time we enjoy one another's company."

Lardy broke the embrace for a moment. His eyes red and tears styreaming down his face, Lardy looked Rocky in the eyes and, wordlessly, kissed him. It was the kiss between two ex-lovers who were still close friends foremost. Whatever it meant in all its nuiances, it was returned fully by the Pyngwyny Prince.

After the kiss was finished, they continued to embrace for a long time as Rocky whispered assurances to the other, all the while keeping as calm and collected as someone who has blossomed fully into his leadership role. As a former LMB leader himself, Lardy recognized this and admired his dear friend all the more for it. At one point, Lardy managed to say, "Rocky, I know you'll find Adelie...she'll be fine..." Eventually and reluctantly, Lardy broke the embrace and said his goodbyes. He then found Serj among the Space Knights and received his friend's assurance that he'd proceed with haste to Daroon. Then, Lardy made his way back to the other four who would comprise the Hive mission.

-------------------------

At last, the farewells had been made and the two groups split once again. The ships prepared by the Knights Templar were now ready to be boarded and on opposite sides of the space-dock. For a brief moment they lingered, staring at one another, wondering if this was the last time they would see each other—for surely, there would be casualties. At last, Rockhopper Lad gave the signal and his group began to depart towards the ship. Some of them let the tears fall down openly, and others did their best to hide it. Rockhopper Lad stood there a moment and smiled at them, his smile filling everyone with warmth and confidence.

And then he too turned to leave.

The remaining five Legionnaires lingered a moment longer before Power Boy at last turned. Tempest quickly followed. Invisible Brainiac looked at Cobalt Kid and Lard Lad, who both seemed very sad and said only “And so the fellowship is broken…”

#119466 08/30/11 10:05 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Dark Oval Space

An hour after their group departed, Lardy made his way out of their spacecraft's cockpit, where he, Invisible Brainiac and Power Boy had been figuring out the controls to the unfamiliar vessel. Satisfied the other two had things well in hand for the first shift, Lardy had decided to check in on Cobalt.

He glanced toward the closed compartment where Tempest was as he passed it. She had told them all that she would be inside meditating and should not be disturbed. He and Temp, he realized, hadn't spoken in weeks. He wondered in passing how he felt about that and whether his feelings for her had changed.

A moment later, he found his best friend sitting alone in the common area. Cobalt's head was bowed down, and he was seemingly deeply lost in thought. So deeply, in fact, that he didn't appear to notice Lardy's arrival. But just as Lardy was working out how best to intrude, his friend looked up with a weak smile.

"Gonna lecture me now like everybody else?" Cobalt said, his tone half-serious.

"Des," Lardy answered with a grin, "I've no room to do that after all I've put you through over the years!" He then sat next to him on the couch. "You having regrets?"

"No...no, I did what I had to, Lardy. The Dominion had to be absolutely crushed to achieve the advantage we needed, and the Khunds provided the quickest, most efficient solution."

"So...why the long face?"

"The collateral damage to my relationships, that's why. I...I may have lost some of the people I care about the most by doing this."

"Maybe, Des...but maybe they would've lost their lives if you hadn't. I don't think I could've done what you did...well, not anymore. But there's little doubt you gave the U.P....and the ones you love...a fighting chance in this war that they may not have had with the Dominion in the mix."

"I know that, Lardy. Obviously. But if you could've felt Crujeckie's hurt, her anger over our psychic link...and Lolita's face...."

"Des...I've been there, man. And I'll be with you...'til the end."

The two friends embraced for a moment and then distracted themselves by studying space charts Kalla had provided of the Dark Oval territory they were entering.

Silently, though, Lardy was worried about his friend. As he glanced over at Cobalt occasionally, Lardy couldn't help thinking: Is this how I was after I killed Damyen Hrykos and Mordra--and after I lost Dru? Is Des heading for the dark places I went to?

Lardy gave him another lingering glance.

Well, I'll just have to be there for him like I never have before if that's the case...

Lardy gave him a firm pat on the shoulder as if for emphasis. Cobalt look puzzled for a moment but grinned a little before returning to the charts.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#119467 08/30/11 10:08 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
And in the cold vacuum, two ships light years apart, each prepared to enter space's deepest, darkest bowels on two separate fronts. Whatever the outcome of their crusades, the Fellowship, though cloven in two, would fight as one against the greatest evils in the galaxy......

<span style="font-size: 36px;">End of Part I</span>

#119468 09/08/11 09:02 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
In one’s life, we all must face Two Terrors--that of the KNOWN...and that of the UNKNOWN.

The KNOWN is right outside your window. It is all-too real. It can not be escaped. It is true Evil, within and without.

On the holo-news: The Terror of seeing live pictures of an entire planet being consumed by monstrous, ravenous insects. Will your home, your children, your very life be next? Will all the foundations of what you have come to know as civilization follow?

In your mirror: The Terror of what you’ve done and what you know you still are capable of doing. How can you live with the decisions you’ve made and may still have to make? If you can, will your loved ones, whom you do all of this for, still be able to look you in the eye?

The UNKNOWN is more nebulous but no less terrifying. It is the future. It brings with it the uncertainty of Tomorrow‘s very existence.

A Planet of Ice: The Terror of repression, of freedom seemingly unattainable. Can a rebellion of Losers overcome the cold heel of tyranny that freezes its very breath? If so, what price will have to be paid?

A Hive of Horrors: The Terror of an overwhelming, endless army of soldiers all unswervingly devoted to their cause. Can a handful of dedicated heroes overcome the biting, hungry, voracious mandibles of Death incarnate? If you survive, will there be anything left of you?

This is the time when heroes are tested. You must face your Terrors, Known and Unknown, or succumb to the darkness within. If you pass the test, your reward will be to graduate to one even more tough...and even more Terrifying.

Good luck. You will need it....

<span style="font-size: 48px;">The Lord of the Oval</span>

<span style="font-size: 36px;">Part II: The Two Terrors</span>

#119469 09/08/11 10:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Wyandotte, the Insect King

I was born Harold Ryan Wyandotte on an Earth in a parallel universe not dissimilar to this one. My earliest memories are of plotting my adoptive parents’ deaths. I was four years old.

For as long as I can remember, that has been my primary desire...the desire to kill. Why was I born that way? I have no idea, but I have no regrets. I have a purpose, and it is one I relish.

After I killed my parents, I was placed in a special facility for 'disturbed' juveniles. Over time, I learned to conceal my intentions from those who were studying me. I continued to kill other patients in the facility and even a few staff members...but I learned to make their deaths either look like accidents or to frame others to take the blame. But little Harold was a model patient as far as anyone was concerned.

When I reached puberty, I discovered I had a gift. Somehow, I could mentally dominate any one sentient being at a time. With tremendous effort I could dominate many more. I celebrated by forcing everyone in the facility to slaughter each other. It was my coming out party, and I left to explore the world outside as my killing field.

Within ten years I had manipulated my way to causing the extermination of all life on my Earth. The problem was that it was almost too easy. In my ascent I encountered no resistance. On my world I was apparently unique. No one else had any special abilities. They were all painfully ordinary.

So I traveled off planet. Some of the cultures I encountered presented minor challenges, but the end result was the same.

Then something extraordinary happened. I had stopped for a diversion in a bar of ill repute on a tiny remote planetoid. I practiced my bloody wares in a back room when some extraordinary visitors arrived via an unexplained convergence with other-dimensional equivalents of this same bar. Strangely enough, most of these other beings were parallel universe versions of myself. All seemed to share a lust for death and control, save one: a self-proclaimed hero who audaciously called himself "Lard Lad". Even more enticingly, he had with him a group of fellow heroes he belonged to who called themselves the LMB.

This LMB opposed the rest of us, who formed a kind of loose coalition against these heroes. But I decided early on to follow the LMB to their home because they looked to provide something I craved desperately: a challenge. I did so by altering their memories of what transpired even as I travelled back with them.

I took my time in this fascinating new universe to learn all about it, so that I could bring about its eventual death most effectively. This LMB would be a worthy foe as it grew more and more formidable a force by the year. I would need considerable resources to overcome them.

As I traveled far and wide, I finally found what I needed within the territory known as the Dark Oval. I encountered a huge, grotesque insect creature which intended to devour me. I easily dominated it with my powers and in the process found it was part of a vast collective hive mind. I used the creature to take me to its Queen. Within moments I controlled the Queen and by extension her entire Hive of endless death-dealing drones. Suddenly, I was one of the greatest powers in this new universe and instantly inherited access to the Oval Elite itself. While I was unable to dominate the other Elite as well, they had no choice but to accept me as their equal.

But I have learned patience. I’ve observed my foes and my fellows alike and have attempted a few dress rehearsals on Legion World to better get their measure.

And now, the time at last is here! Already I have at long last begun to unleash my endless army of death on the nearby sectors of the United Planets with more to come as each day passes. And through my psychic link, I have been able to experience every single kill as if it were delivered by my own thrashing, hungering mandibles!

So many deaths...and so many more to come! The end is nigh for the United Planets, the LMB and Legion World...and eventually, all else.

It is indeed good to be King!

#119470 09/08/11 11:01 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
The Emperor

Eudyptes XXIX, Emperor of the Earth and of the Pyngwyn Colonies stood on the balcony of the Imperial Palace and gazed at the bleak, frozen landscape.

He had built the palace in a Terran city whose name resembled that of his home planet, a city whose climate had never been known for its cold weather, but that was before the Emperor's arrival. It was he who made the Earth into a frozen world, for, although he had mastered many kinds of magic over the years, it was still the Ice Magic that was his greatest power. There was no one on his world who had such mastery of the Ice Magic as he. There was only one he'd ever met who had: his double from that other universe, the one who called himself Rockhopper Lad. “What a juvenile notion!” the Emperor thought. Using the name of the Imperial House as a code name to run around with a bunch of humans in spandex.

Not that there weren't some humans with merit. There was his beloved consort, Blaine, a native of the universe from which his silly double hailed. And there was Tempus, Tim Temp, who betrayed the SMB and the Earth into his hands.

The Emperor chuckled as he thought of the planet he now ruled. The Pyngwyn Colonies has a population of about four million. He now reigned over a world of many billions and his rule was absolute. There were occasional rumors and whispers of a group that were plotting against the Emperor. They would come to no good end. How apt that they should call themselves “The Losers”. A self-fulfilling prophecy, he thought.

Still, the idea of being overthrown again, gave the Emperor pause, remembering his double's costing him his throne in the Pyngwyn Colonies (though the Emperor kept the title in pretense). The so-called Rockhopper Lad had already given him so much grief. And the influence he had over Adelie! Surely she wouldn't have called herself “Rockhopper Lass” and committed herself to such silly notions but for him!

The Emperor pondered how someone so like him could at the same time be so unlike. He and Rockhopper Lad were physically identical. There seemed little, if any difference in their families and upbringings. Why was his double so weak and tender-hearted? Why did he adhere to the traditions of the Pyngwyn Colonies and Pyngwypalia so that he forsook the magic at which he was equally adept, save for the Ice Magic. Did something happen in his life that made him so different?

“My Lord!”

The Emperor shook from his reverie. “Yes, Tempus, what did you need?”

“My Lord,” said Tempus, whose double in the other world had the ludicrous name “Time Teller Lad”.“The former ambassador from Earth to the Pyngwyn Colonies is here, at your request.”

“By all means, show her in.”

Anna Lee Merrison was brought onto the balcony, shackled and chained.

“Ah, Ms. Merrison! It's been a very long time. I'm been waiting for this reunion.”

“My Lord!” she begged. “It has been so very long! Please, have mercy!”

“Silence, human! Your planet has so many riches. Or had. I have taken them away. Not that there was anything of Earth you thought I should have.”

“My Lord,” she began. “That was long, long ago.”

“Yes, you have had many years to think about it. Too long. I, too, have had a long time. And I have decided that time is something you need no more of.” And with that he drew a breath and began to blow a white vapor at the former Ambassador. Within a minute, her body had changed into an ice statue. At a nod from the Emperor, one of his guard took a sledge hammer and reduced the statue to ice chips.

“Tempus,” the Emperor called as he re-entered the palace, “Please send for the cleaning woman. My balcony needs to be swept!”

The Emperor walked over the pieces of ice that had once been the ambassador as he returned to his quarters.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#119471 09/10/11 02:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
TITUS . THE CONQUEROR

OVER 1000 YEARS AGO

Titus marched across the grand bridge to the senate palace. The dark spots of blood marked his gleaming armor and face. Several similar looking soldiers followed him, their long hair slightly grey compared to Titus’ rich black.

As the armored men strode to the wide steps of the palace entrance, Titus paused and nodded to three young women who stood to the side, each robed in different colors.

He smiled to himself and continued walking through the palace doors.

Titus strode to the senate floor, fresh from battle. He looked around, disgusted at the remains of his assembled people. His people were old and reclusive. They were scholars and scientists. They were weak. Immortals that had chosen to fade away and die. There were less of them each century and less young gods born each century. There were only a handful of gods Titus’ age scattered throughout the crowd. ‘We should be ruling the galaxy, not dwindling away on the edge of the galaxy’ he thought.

Titus spat his words as he spoke once more of returning the gods to glory, through force. He appealed to them to return to the affairs of the galaxy, to rule as gods should. He thrust his helmet high as he finished his speech. A single quiet moment existed and then …… deafening cheers were met with deafening shouts of outrage.

The hall was divided in chaos.

------------------------------------------------------

THE RUINS OF HUL

Titus woke from his reverie. He looked different now, larger and dimmer somehow. Unsettled, he remembered that moment. He remembered the peculiar sound of god shouting at god.

He meant to unite them but he had underestimated the handful of other young gods that opposed him. They had been working behind the scenes to ferment opposition against Titus, the young and powerful general of the gods, taking over the senate as monarch. A slight majority of the older gods supported Titus and his promises of returning to glory and dominance through conquest.

He remembers that moment while looking around at the devastation of Hull. He underestimated his opponents then, and now he had underestimated this LMB, and Power Boy, one of his kin among them.

Titus looked around again, his 40 were assembled around him covered in dust. They were his 40 greatest opponents, perverted through the power granted him by his dark lord into super powered wraiths imprisoned somewhere between life and death. That’s what happened to people that disagreed with Titus.

Titus calls forth one of his wraiths, a special present for this LMB.

‘Disaster Boy’

#119472 09/11/11 09:21 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Dark Emissary

A Message to The Emperor

I have followed these sad creatures as per your request. They are an interesting group. They seem to ba as much at odds with each other as they are with the thought of your reign expanding as it will, to their pathetic worlds. Only then will they see from under your heel that it was the only way.

A strange thing has happened though. They were able to stop Titus for a time. I suspect that his anger will be great, though he will no doubt not be any concern of ours at this time, as the group has split into two. One group heading for you, and the other heading for the Hive. He is sure to follow the others as they are chiefly the ones that thwarted him.

They were also able to throiw the Dominion fools into disarray. Not that it is exactly a difficult task, but they did so with an impressive ease that would give me pause, if not for the fact that we know they are coming.

There is one among them that has somehow sensed my presence...even from the distance I gave myself. It is not my other self...oh how I wish that the pathetic fool had come with them. Ever since I learned of his existance, I have waited for you to give me the chance to destroy everything he holds dear and grind his bones into powder. He knows not the power he could have had if he had siezed the opportunities presented to him, too afraid to do what must be done. Perhaps the poor fool never had the support of a friend like I had in you when things went wrong for me. You know that I owe you everything because you were the only one that stood by me when I hunted the ones down that took my life from me. You were the only one who understood and comforted me in those dark days, and I in turn stood by you as your Dark Emissary to those that feel that they may oppose you without consequence. As to who this one is that has sensed me, I know not of his origins, just that there is something about him that seems familiar.

As always, I await your command, and your command alone. I will continue to follow those headed for our home, and rejpoin you when they are close enough. If you give the word though. I will destroy them in the deep dark coldness of space...or on our beloved planet where you can watch as they beg for mercy that will never come. The command is but yours to give. You have but to say it and it will be done.

Long Live The Emperor!

Your Friend and Weapon forever...

Dev Em, The Dark Emissary

===================================

The twisted version of Dev Em hit send on his communication device and pocketed it. He smiled and turned to follow after the Legion members headed to Earth 4.

"Soon, I will have justice..."

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#119473 09/12/11 02:08 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Romaltus

The Great Basilica of the Epsilon Sector was one of the true triumphs in sentient history; a marvel whose majesty caused those who gazed upon to feel both awe and pride that such a structure could even exist. It was the only remaining structure of a lost architectural style from thousands of years earlier, and its complexity could cause even the most learned individual to grow weary and overwhelmed. Its ceiling reached far into the sky and majestic banners of purple hung from the walls with ornate tapestries upon them. The roof of the Basilica was a perfect oval with a deep black circle in the middle as if it was a great lidless eye.

This was an ancient place of worship. It remained so today, though now its Priests worhipped a great, Dark Lord. The co-ruler of the Epsilon Sector, and High Priest to the Dark Lord, knelt at the great altar and quietly prayed. His concentration was so great he could block out all sound, all smell, all everything around him. For he communed directly with the Dark Lord. He was Romatlus, and none were more devout than he.

While his allies and colleagues felt elation or fear at the recent events, Romatlus and his wife Mala felt no such exhilaration. The recent events, both good and bad, were how things were supposed to occur. All paths led to the Lord of the Dark Oval. This was the way history progressed. He found comfort in his duty to the bringing his universe this gift; he found comfort in his service to his Deity.

Yet, in his heart, Romaltus knew there still some unfinished he needed to attend. There were those he cared for that had been blinded and not yet see with the Eye. Mala would prefer they simply rot; but he expressed his concern to the Lord of the Dark Oval and felt understanding. He would try to save their souls. His nephew Cobalt Kid, and those closest to him. He could make them believe; he could make them see.

It was difficult to accept good fortune when it came to you. To let go of your base emotions and submit. But if they could shed their rudimentary beliefs and accept truly great, they could be Regents of Paradise. They could reign for a thousand years of peace and prosperity. The Dark Lord would change the universe for the better and all those elements of society that caused only pain and hurt would be utterly destroyed. It would be beautiful.

As he communed silently with his Deity, he spoke aloud to the chamber, feeling the power of the Great Basilica enhances his prayer: “Lord, grant me the strength to do your will. Grant me the strength to save those who have not accepted the good news. Help me make my nephew see! See that if he lays aside his worry and his guilt, that he can live in beauty and in peace!”

Romaltus finished his prayer in silence and a deep sense of satisfaction came over him, as he knew the Dark Lord heard his thoughts and would grant him his wish.

Turning, he found his wife and companion, Mala waiting. She smiled a loving smile, anxious to share her good news. “The Dark Lord answers your prayers, my love,” she said. “Your nephew comes ever closer to the Epsilon Sector, and brings with him a righteous fellowship. He rewards me as well, bringing a young Goddess whose power will invigorate me in the same manner healing your nephew will invigorate you.”

Romaltus smiled at her, feeling pride that his faith in the Dark Lord once again was justified. “We will heal them all, my love,” he said. “All those faithful.”

#119474 09/20/11 07:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Zardi

A mirror in a dark room begins to glow ominously and a man steps out of it. Instantly the room is a buzz of furious activity. Three dark fae detach themselves from ornamental hangings and streak out to alert the castle. A single wraith rises from the floor and faces the lone arrival then bows low and steps aside.

Zardi has returned to the Castle in the Sky.

“Master...” A confused Carrie is the first of his four lieutenants to arrive, her black bat-wings carrying her to the customary perch to the left of his chair, “We were not aware of your intentions. There was no time to prepare the feast or to alert the...” A wave of his hand silenced the eldest daughter of the Queen of Darkness.

Barley Horn arrived next clad in full battle armor. The minotaur silently bowed his head to his master and took his place at the table, two chairs to Zardi's right.

The Eldest of Zardi's Dragons, Brightbody Blackheart, entered in his human form. He alone showed no awe of the master magician. “I hope young Dmitri is up to the task of maintaining your masquerade for the next few weeks, Master. It would be a shame to lose the advantages we've gained thru this ploy.”

“You trained him yourself, did you not Dragon-Sire?” Zardi Replied “Dmitri will be passable as Jose Jiminininez for the foreseeable future. The spells I've laid on the Security Office personnel will hold. Now be seated. We have serious decisions to make.”

“My counsel has not changed. Rip the Cackle Tree out of the ground and replant it inside the castle while you have the opportunity. I'll take a wing of Dragons and raze Legionopolis. Let the so called heroes of the LMBP return to find their precious world a ball of ASHES!!!” Flames snorted from the human appearing nostrils of the dragon as he spoke and smoke curled from his mouth with every word.

“And when Candle appears in your path of destruction flanked by her dragons what will you do?” the Queen of Darkness's voice came from a shadow just beyond the doorway of the room.

“There will be no path of destruction.” The edge in Zardi's voice cut off the impending argument. “I have given my word to Mearl Dox on this matter. With respect to the Cackles and Legion World the original plan holds. The Cackles must decide of their own free will to join us. And they will make the choice to join us. When they do, Blackheart, You will be free to ensure that there is no Legion World for them to return to...”

“But until then we must ensure that the status quo is maintained.”

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#119475 09/26/11 12:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
<span style="font-size: 20px;">The Dark Lord</span>

Elsewhere, in a dark torchlit sanctum that few have ever visited (save in their nightmares), the Dark Lord peers into His all-seeing Orb.

Across its surface flash the faces of His pawns, some knowing and most unwitting.

He sees Romaltus, Mala and Titus. His closest operatives and the only three sentients aware of His true nature. They know what is expected of them and are prepared to lay down their lives in His service. They are precious to Him.

He sees the Bird Emperor and his spouse. They are very useful in their own way but ultimately little more than a means to His end. They and their Emissary will serve their purpose very, very shortly.

He sees the Insect King. This one is of the same blood as Him, but is ultimately too petty and too shortsighted to be the Chosen. But he will have a chance to prove his worthiness against his brother very soon.

He sees Zardi. Zardi is an Old One such as He is. The Dark Lord will test this Zardi very shortly when His forces reach Legion World. He will see then if this Zardi is truly a force to be reckoned with.

He sees Lucifer Lass. He smiles. This daughter of Una has misread the portents as He intended and passed on false information to the Fellowship. She has unwittingly doomed her mother as the balance of ultimate power will soon topple, once and for all, in His favor!

Finally, He sees the Fellowship. Everything they have done, and will do, is exactly as He has foreseen. They do His work...and they always will. He touches the Orb where the image of Lard Lad lies.

<span style="font-size: 20px;">My Blood approaches, ever nearer! Come to me...and prove yourself worthy of your Birthright!</span>

The Dark Lord laughs and toasts His inevitable triumph with the sweet blood of the innocent.

#119476 10/03/11 09:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Two Assassins

The recycled atmosphere in the back corridors of Webber's World stank of deceit, lies, and back room deals, the lighting was dim, casting shadows deep enough to hide the sins of thousands of politicians, and the decor of those out of the way places in the political center of the United Planets reminded her of Rimbor at it's seedy worst. In short, it was her kind of place. A place where lives were routinely destroyed.

Of course those lives were usually (but not always) ended in a figurative rather than factual manner. The victims, often rising young stars on the U.P. Political scene, lived on in obscurity, their once promising political careers brought to an abrupt end by scandal, a deal gone horribly wrong, or the back room machinations of their political enemies.

But Today would be different. Today one of the longest burning, brightest stars on the U.P. Political scene would burn out in a pool of blood and the galaxy would be thrown head first into the maelstrom of terror. She would succeed where her brethren had failed.

The young woman pacing the corridor outside the Earth ambassador’s private quarters looked unremarkable. She was a little over five foot tall with mousey brown hair and a slim build. She wore a military attache’ uniform that identified her as an official U.P. Currier. Attached to her left wrist was a small briefcase and on her right hip was a standard issue low energy plasma pistol, the type that could fry most life forms without breaching the hull of a spacecraft. She also wore what appeared to be standard issue protective goggles designed to shield her eyes from the debilitating effects of the handgun’s discharge. They were currently flipped up in the standby position. She looked every inch the model of a junior staff officer waiting semi-patiently for her next Currier mission.

In reality she was an assassin. The true owner of the uniform and equipment she wore lay in the darkness of a supply locker two decks below staring lifelessly at cartons of dehydrated N’soy milk and reconstituted Banth eggs. It amused the assassin to think that it was even odds as to whether the cooks for the T’Jar delegation were more likely to serve the luckless junior officer’s corpse as a special dinner for their ambassador than report finding it to the Webber’s World Security Force.

Despite her relaxed appearance her enhanced senses were keyed up, hunting for anything out of the ordinary, anything that might indicate she or her mission had been compromised. A veteran of more than two dozen such missions she knew well the price of failure. Her superiors didn’t care how many extra bodies she left in her wake but the punishment for leaving even one of her team’s designated targets alive would be severe. Conversely should her team successfully complete it’s murderous mission her reward would be extravagant by Dark Oval standards.

She heard a soft bamf of displaced air. Without thinking she stepped to her right into an alcove she’d verified a few moments earlier and drew the plasma pistol. Flipping down her glasses she began an infra-red scan of the passageway. When her results turned up nothing out of the ordinary she cursed softly and stepped out into the passageway her weapon still raised in the ready position.

“You’re facing the wrong way, Missy.” The hissing, guttural, voice came from behind her, where it should have been impossible for anyone to be. “Keep your weapon where I can see it and turn around.”

She turned toward the voice and made a show of lowering her weapon. As her right arm came down she tensed a muscle and a six inch long sliver of razor sharp iridium steel alloy erupted from the launcher implanted in her forearm. Even as her blood splattered the bulkhead next to her she was hurtling forward in a tuck and roll maneuver designed to give her a clear shot at the blue furred figure who had called her out. She never completed the action.

Two more muffled bamfs of displaced air sounded so close together as to almost be one noise and the blade she had launched at her target sliced into the back of her left thigh. Hamstrung, the maneuver designed to bring her up with a clear shot at her target became a face first slide across the deck to the far bulkhead. She twisted in mid-slide attempting to bring her weapon on target but another bamf sounded, this one much louder and closer, and a purplish silver cutlass clove her plasma pistol in twain, barely missing her fingers. “An Inertron Blade,” she whispered the thought aloud, as she tried to roll away, only to find her bleeding arm pinned to the deck by a claw-like, three-toed foot wearing what appeared to be a glove of white leather.

“Just be glad I missed on the first cut, Missy, “ the hissing, guttural voice came again. “I wanted to take your hand off and save that nice pistol as a souvenir.”

She twisted slightly in an attempt to get a better look at her opponent but her world turned first green, then black.

“How many is that? I’ve lost count.” Nightcrawler asked Abin as they walked towards the Earth Ambassador’s quarters with the assassin floating behind them encased in solidified green energy, like a fly in amber.

“Twenty-six, only fourteen left if Ambassador Mirenna Helene's Intel is accurate.”

“Nightcrawler, Abin, we’ve go a situation outside the Pysonian embassy.” Saturn Girl’s voice erupted from both men’s Omnicoms.

“Now what?” Nightcrawler and Abin replied in unison.

“Reporters, dozens of them, with more arriving by the second. Somebody in Earth-Gov let it slip that we’re here providing security to the U.P. Council and they all want interviews. The focus seems to be our reaction to Cobalt’s “alliance” with the Khunds.”

“Great!,” Nightcrawler let out a disgusted snort. “Tell Crujecki to give me Cobalt’s location and I’ll bamf them right to him. Let him answer for the mess he’s created.”

“She says he’s out of the range of their telepathic bond. And from the number of holo’s of him she’s destroyed… “

“QX, We’ll be there in five. Have the embassy staff set up a podium at the edge of the secure zone. Tell them to ensure that the reporters stay out of the secure area. You, me, and Abin will address the press. Put out the word that the Princess has the vapors or some such nonsense like that, then leave a few holo’s of the carnage in her quarters where some reporter will just happen to stumble over them.”

“You’re going to put Abin in front of the holo-vids?”

“Yep!” Nightcrawler answered with an evil chuckle that sent chills up and down Abin's spine as he pictured himself completely nonplussed by even the simplest of questions.

“Is that a smart idea, Bal?” SG asked in a bemused tone.

“Maybe not... But I'll get a chuckle out of it.”

“Hey! I’m right here you two!”

Prime Minister Maya adi Lva and Ambassador Mirenna Helene both jumped when a loud BAMF sounded in the Pysonian Embassy Reception Area and Nightcrawler appeared. The two women instinctively ducked behind their Secret Service Bodyguards, a mixed quartet of massively muscled men and heavily armed women wearing the black & silver jumpsuits of Kent Shakespheare's A.S.T.R.A. Corps. The smaller of the two women stepped to the front of the group and leveled a lethal looking hand weapon at Nighty's chest.

“Miss Bond, your charges are in no danger,” Nightcrawler smiled at the dark haired beauty. “but to be honest, we weren't expecting company.”

“We?” She replied without turning, “And I believe I've asked you to address me as Commander Bond at least a dozen times.”

“We.” Abin's voice came from behind the group. “My ring detected your presence but could only identify you. And since we didn't know the identity of your companions...”

“You set up a crossfire.” She finished for him. “Sweet Ass Sweet, as my boss likes to say. But not for us. Stand down lady and gents, I've verified these two.”

The three remaining agents stepped away from the President and Ambassador.

“What can we do for you Madame President?” Nightcrawler asked in his most guttural tone. He and Prime Minister Maya adi Lva had known and (despite the fact that they shared a mutual but unspoken respect) disliked each other for many years.

“You can start by explaining why you felt that little charade to be necessary, when the Ambassador and I are here to keep you from making a fool of yourself on the Galactic Newscasts.” She snapped. “And why in space do you refuse to simply address me as Maya, instead of constantly mangling my title?”

“Why would you be concerned with me making a fool of myself? I suspect you'd enjoy it immensely if I did.”

“Bal, please... Nothing could be further from the truth. You and I rarely see eye to eye on anything. But, right now I need you as much as you need me. And even you will admit that I have always had Legion World's best interests at heart.” She looked over at Abin, “Mr. Quank, I'm very pleased to finally meet you. Cobaltus always speaks very highly of you. Perhaps you can help me make this hard headed fool see the opportunities we have sitting right in front of us.”

“The opportunities?” Saturn Girl's voice cut off any possible reply from Abin. “The opportunities to do what? Watch a few million sentients die? To lay waste to a hundred planets? What opportunities are you speaking of Prime Minister?” Saturn Girl strode into the room with Princess Crujectra following silently in her wake.

“No Caroline, The opportunity to bring lasting peace to the Galaxy by ending the threat of the Dark Oval.” Maya replied wearily, “Really, peace and prosperity for the United Planets is a worthy goal, wouldn't you agree?”

As the argument raged in the antechamber a pair of assassins made their way through the ventilation ducts and electrical conduits feeding the Pysonian Embassy. C'LAC'Nal, a marmoset -like being from the planet Ichoria flexed his venom tipped claws as he watched the humans in the room below. His target, the Pysonian Princess, remained on the edges of the group, too far from his planned entry point for him to be certain of reaching her before the seasoned veteran warriors in the group could react to his attack.

His plan was simple, the thought shield he wore would keep him from being discovered by either of the telepaths before his precision strike incapacitated Princess Crujectra and LAR Rall's arrival would cover his escape. LAR Rall would of course be lost in the process but the vat which had produced LAR Rall would soon birth MAR Rall.

In the electrical conduits feeding the Pysonian Embassy the gelatinous blob called LAR Rall waited patiently for C'LAC'Nal's strike. It knew nothing about the war or galactic politics or even who the life forms it sensed in the adjacent chamber were. It only knew it was HUNGRY! And that it's master would only allow it to feed after he had taken his prize.

In the room below the two assassins Commander Jamelle Bond, agent 007 of the Legion World Office of External Affairs elite A.S.T.R.A. Corps was doing her best to ignore the argument raging between the Founders and the Prime Minister of Earth as she watched her three agents move surreptitiously to maintain a protective triangle around the two women they were charged with protecting. Satisfied that her team was doing their job efficiently she turned her attention to their surroundings. The Pysonian Embassy was luxuriously furnished and designed to give the illusion that it was a palace rather than a chamber in a massive space station. She looked around, noting the lavish detail and the indirect lighting which gave the impression of sunlight filtered through the ornamental windows. Flickering Sunlight...

“Solo! Kuryakin! Shields Up!” The order barely escaped her lips before the two male agents looked each other lovingly in the eye and raised their arms. Instantly a lavender sphere of energy appeared encasing the entire group with the exception of her and Abin. As the energy sphere appeared a small furry humanoid burst out of a ventilation duct in the ceiling and launched himself claws extended at Princess Crujectra.

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#119477 10/04/11 02:50 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Even the tiniest glow can be a blazing sun, given time.

Invisible Brainiac watched the silent starscape streak past as the ship he was on made its way deeper into Hive space.

Had this taken place a year ago, he would have been shaking in his boots. The enormity of the mission didn't escape him, nor did the odds stacked against them.

A year ago, he would have questioned his place in the Fellowship, too.

Yet here he was, standing alongside luminaries Cobalt Kid, Lard Lad, Tempest and Power Boy. And he was calm. He was ready. And he would make sure he had plenty of fun.

A mischievous smile crossed his lips as he remembered the looks on the Dominator's faces when he'd blasted through their ship. That was one thing he liked about his "big bro" Cobalt Kid - their cavalier personalities got along perfectly well, and they could see humor in even the darkest of situations.

"If only to mask the pain and the burden of responsibility," a small voice echoed in his head.

Frowning, IB glanced up and around. Lard Lad and Cobalt Kid were manning the controls, though they didn't really need to. Precautions were always wise, though, and he knew Lardy and Cobie were likely planning their next move while they were piloting the craft. Power Boy was resting, though IB wondered if gods really needed to. From the smile on his lips, IB thought Power Boy was reliving some of his greatest battles instead. Tempest was nowhere to be seen; she had probably retired to the small quarters on the ship reserved for her.

Satisfied that he wouldn't be missed, IB turned himself into light and phased through the craft's window.

Settling himself in space near the energy backwash from the ship so he wouldn't get lost, IB focused himself through the prism on his neck. A rainbow of light shot through space and coalesced into seven identical figures, save for their colors.

"I don't see how you can find this funny," said Blue. "Des had to betray the trust of the Fellowship to bring us along. You know it's eating him up inside."

Yellow settled back, arms behind his head. "Whatever. They understood the need to keep us and Cleome secret. Besides, he did worse by bringing the Khunds in."

"I'm more worried about our own reaction to this." Indigo folded his arms, right hand cupping his chin. "We should be more concerned about the implications of our mission, rather than just having fun."

Orange snorted, punching his "brother" in the arm. "We agreed to this long ago. And we're helping the universe. If there's any time to have fun, it's while doing good, right?"

"But... everyone else here is so powerful, so experienced. How can we..." started Purple, before being cut off by Red. "We can stand toe to toe with them, Purple. Just let anyone try to tell us we can't hack it."

"That's not what I mean," said Purple. "We're as powerful as they are, but are we really warriors? We're not killers. And we may have to do that while we're here!"

Green sighed, and settled himself for a long talk.

It wasn't often his selves disagreed; not lately, anyway. His experiences with the LMB had made him comfortable and confident in himself. His seven selves' personalities had slowly pieced together. Crujectra had told him that his personalities were probably borne out of inner conflict. They were a way for him to sort out his thoughts in real time, by pretending he could separate them. He was better at dealing with mixed feelings now, like his old crush on Lolita, which had thankfully faded; or his old fear and awe of Shark Lad, who he now saw as a good, respected friend and ally.

But then, things like this didn't happen every day.

Green spoke, causing the other six to shush. When Green spoke, it was known he was speaking for all. They shared one mind, after all; just divided into seven light constructs.

"This Dark Oval mission is many things. A chance to prove ourselves; a chance to have a rocking good time with the members of the Fellowship; a chance to repay Cobie and the others for their trust; and a chance to do a lot of good for the universe."

"It also means putting ourselves into danger, questioning our values, and facing all our fears about ourselves and about the unknown."

"Right now all our opinions are valid. But, we all agreed to go through with this when Cobie brought us in. Now... let's just enjoy the emptiness of space. It won't be long before we'll be in the thick of things. Catch a break while we can."

All six of him nodded, and space was quiet once more, punctuated only by seven floating figures and the dim glow of the nearby ship.

Green stared into the distance at the Hive homeworld. His powers allowed him to magnify the light coming off it, and what he saw made him shudder. He steeled himself for the task at hand.

He was ready.

There is little a man can control, but one thing he can is his spirit.

#119478 10/04/11 12:19 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
The Spaces In-Between

In a place where few can roam freely, a door opens and what comes through is beauty beyond words. In his true form, any who--beyond these others--viewed him now would blinded by the Glamour. He sees he is the last to arrive and it amuses him. “Or perhaps not,” he says out loud, noticing at least one of their number is missing. “And here I thought I was making the most dramatic entrance,” says Lucien Lad, the Legionnaire whose level of cosmic comprehension surpasses all others.

“You are indeed, Lucien Lad,” replied the Phantom Stranger, “for the other is not coming. It is only we, three.” The Phantom Stranger, as ever, remained hidden from those who could not see, though his true power was his ability to grant, for the briefest moments, looks. Only Lucien Lad knew the true secret of the Phantom Stranger.

The two turned to the third presence. “Then we’ll get right to the point, I suppose,” said Lucien Lad. “Why have you summoned us, Mearl?”

Before them stood Mearl Dox, the Supreme Ruler of the Universe. Though a longtime friend and even once member of the LMB, most dared not think too abstractly about her nature. For she was the structure that held together all that is. “I summoned you here, friends, because the Legion of Message Board Posters has reached a turning point. What happens now, and plays out in the coming days, will shape the future of the LMB for all time.”

“Yes,” said the Phantom Stranger, “I’ve gazed far into the future and it remains suddenly vague and unclear. These coming events will change what lies ahead. The LMB will need every ally.”

“They will indeed,” said Mearl, “but I’m afraid they won’t have them.”

Lucien Lad looked annoyed at the comment because of its vagueness but the Stranger understood immediately. “You would forbid our participation in this event?”

“I must, dear friend,” she replied. “We cosmic powers cannot solve all the problems for the LMB when things are at their hardest. What comes now must be addressed by those who do not see the true structure of the world, for only then do their actions have true meaning and true consequences. I know you both love them, but you must let them handle this on their own. Both the glory and the suffering.”

The Phantom Stranger bowed his head, accepting, but Lucien Lad was displeased. “Mearl, dear,” he began, “I appreciate your grandiose manner and find it terribly amusing, but I will not stand by and let these sentients, whom I’ve grown quite attached to, suffer.” As always, his wicked smile proclaimed his charm for all the world to see, but Mearl Dox did not smile back.

They stared at one another for some time, and in the space in-between, Mearl Dox showed Lucien Lad the truth. At last, the silence was broken, and Bevis relented. “Alright then,” he said sadly, “I will observe.”

The three turned their far-seeing gaze back upon the United Planets and Dark Oval; however, the Phantom Stranger spoke once more. “Mearl, what of our intended fourth? What of the LMBP Spectre who did not answer your summons?”

Mearl replied casually. “She saw through the deception and made her decision to carry on among her brethren. Even now, her actions go unnoticed among her allies and enemies, though they will have far-reaching effects on the outcome of this war.”

#119479 10/04/11 01:12 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
Haven,
The Dark Oval

Power Boy walked forward in the cruiser, joining Lard Lad and Cobalt Kid, who were co-piloting it. He was growing bored and his warrior spirit yearned for more battle. “What is that ahead? It doesn’t look like a Hive planet.” Ahead of them was an obvious conversion point of activity. Thousands of manned cruisers were flying in and out and from space you could see a vast technological city planet-side.

“That’s Haven,” said Lard Lad, “the last known area of the Dark Oval we’ll be going to before we’re really on our own.”

Cobalt Kid added to the description: “Haven is a planet conquered by the Hive centuries ago; however, its been designated as a common area among the five powers of the Dark Oval. Technically its between the borders of all the five powers. I’m not sure what’s its called but Lardy and I are referring to it as the “common area”. It’s like an outpost where traders, bureaucrats and military personnel touch base with one another. It’s a good place to restock up on supplies and such and switch cruisers. Probably our last opportunity to do so.”

“Military personnel?” said Power Boy, focusing on what he really wanted to hear.

“Subtly is the key here,” said Lard Lad with a smile. That made Cobalt smile too and Lardy was glad. For hours he had been trying to comfort his friend with some encouraging words and getting him to focus on the mission at hand, since he knew that was a good way to ease Cobalt’s angst. “The General Elite Militia, which is the military arm of the Dark Oval that answers to no one power has a major headquarters here. We don’t intend to disturb them and have to be careful.”

“General Elite Militia?” said Power Boy. “Isn’t that what Helena Handbasket served in?”

“Yes,” said Cobalt. “What we know about it comes directly from here. We assume the GEM answers to a higher power though how they do so remains a mystery.”

By now, Invisible Brainiac and Tempest had joined them. They had not see Tempest for some time and wondered where she’d gone off to. “Seems risky to go there, then,” she said.

“It is,” said Cobalt. “We’re not only restocking, but we’re meeting someone there. Our contact who will hopefully have some intel on how to proceed into the Hive, because we’re going to need it. I suspect he’ll join us for awhile too.”

He?” said Lard Lad. “A hint, at last? Honestly Cobie, you can tell us who it is.”

Cobalt smiled again. “It’s a surprise, and a good one,” he said. Faraway Lad and I have utilized this ‘spy’ for many years now but you’ll recognize him from the old days.”

The five of them looked out the cruiser window as Lard Lad gained authorization to land using secret codes provided by Kalla Hrykos. They could see from the banners that the cruisers included fleets of GEM cruisers, as well as Hrykosian ships and even ships from the Epilson sector. “No Dominator ships,” said Power Boy with a laugh. “Deployed elsewhere, I suppose,” he added.

“No Hive ships either,” said Invisible Brainiac, wondering why.

“They don’t play nice with others,” said Lard Lad seriously.

They soon landed as the next stage of their journey began.

#119480 10/05/11 01:18 AM
Active
Active
Hrykosia,
The Dark Oval

The modest cruiser carrying the half of the Fellowship bound for Earth-4 navigated its way unimpeded deep into the Lin-Dak Nebula and to the center of the Hrykosian Empire, the homeworld of Hrykosia. With the leader of Clan Hrykos, the ruling family of Hrykosia, aboard and her complete access to all security codes, the act was pure simplicity.

As the majesty of her homeworld filled the viewer, Kalla Hrykos was overcome with emotion. It had been well over a year since she had last seen it. She was unsure if it had become more beautiful in her absence or if it was just her missing it so much. She didn't care. She was home and it was still the most beautiful sight she'd ever seen. As tears filled her eyes, she grasped Lon's hand very tightly into her own.

After Kalla transmitted the landing codes, their cruiser was escorted by a pair of Honor Guard fighters directly on to the landing pad of Castle Hrykos. As the occupants prepared to debark, Kalla paused for a moment and reverted to her "Hot Chick" glamour. Lon was about to ask why, but she gently placed a finger on his lips and squeezed his hand as they descended down the ramp.

Lon's answer came almost immediately as the group was welcomed by none other than...Kalla Hrykos! After being momentarily startled, he remembered that "Kalla Hrykos" had never left Hrykosia for Legion World. Kalla's close advisor Phe'Be Kyeatz had stayed behind and woven a complex spell that enabled them to trade appearances and even personality traits. Kalla's half of the spell made her semi-amnesiac for a period of time until she had accomplished her mission to contact Lard Lad.

For a moment the two groups regarded each other. In the foreground of the visitors were two who weren't whom they appeared to be. Kalla, the Honor Guard recognized as long-unseen Phe'Be. The other was an unknown caucasian humanoid who was actually Rockhopper Lad in holographic disguise. This was a pure necessity as he would easily be mistaken for his otherdimensional twin and despot of fellow Oval power Earth-4. Behind them, all heavily cloaked to avoid recognition, were Shark Lad, Lolita, Time-Teller Lad, Hyvvie the Wonder Beagle, Helena Handbasket and Timber Wolf. Lon had decided to fall back with the other five to avoid any confusion if "Phe'Be" had any relationship peculiarities that his presence might contradict.

"Welcome, my friends!" said the feaux Kalla. "Join me in the Castle's great banquet hall for a feast!"

She turned and the Honor Guard accompanied them all to the great door just beyond the landing pad. As they all arrived in the great banquet hall, the woman they all recognized as their leader dismissed the Honor Guard from the hall. As the last of them departed and the great door closed behind him, the two women wearing faces not their own smiled and embraced. Before the eyes of all that were gathered, the appearances of the two shimmered, and they seemed to switch sides but with different clothing. At that point, the spell was ended, and neither would be able to appear as the other again.

"Oh, I've missed you so, Phe'Be!" said Kalla as fresh tears formed.

"And I you, my liege," Phe'Be replied and hugged her friend tightly.

They embraced for a good minute until Kalla broke it. "What about Juj? Has he made it yet?" Kalla suddenly noticed their Durlan co-conspirator and mutual close friend Juj Rinold was absent. He had impersonated the Dominion's Pinnacle Commander on Hul, his subterfuge being a key to their successful operation there before the Breaking of the Fellowship.

"My liege, he escaped successfully but found that the Khund invasion of Hul had cut off his escape route toward Hrykosia. On his last transmission, he informed me that he would head for Haven instead. He will try to contact us if he can get a secure channel there."

"If anyone can...it's Juj," Kalla said with a smile. Underneath it, though, she was worried about him. Phe'Be was as well, Kalla noted from her eyes.

Kalla then introduced all of the Fellows she had accompanying her. Rockhopper Lad turned off his imager and introduced himself. Phe'Be was startled for a moment before Kalla explained he was not exactly the despot of Earth-4.

Kalla saved introducing Lon for last. Phe'Be had heard of this great new love of Kalla's life and was struck by how different he was from Kalla's deceased lover Huldnaf. But when she saw how Kalla beamed in Lon's presence and how he looked at her with such devotion, Phe'Be knew that they were meant for one another.

"Let's eat before it gets cold, my friends!" Kalla finally announced. "I think you'll find Hrykosian cooking well beyond field rations and anything the Space Knights Templar served us in their mess hall!"

After a long, satisfying feast (though Hyvvie was enjoying gnawing on the bones of his leftovers), the LMB leader stood up and spoke. "This was indeed a fine repast, and you are gracious hosts," Rocky said as he raised a glass. "But I fear we must get down to business. May I suggest we adjourn to discuss our plan of action?"

"Most definitely," Kalla agreed. "Phe'Be?"

Phe'Be rose. "This way my liege and honored guests..." She gestured as a door opened on the far side of the hall, and all nine satisfied diners went in. (Hyvvie took his bone with him, though.)

#119481 10/05/11 04:41 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
The events depicted here take place before the Fellowship members land on Haven.

You can't face certain death with a group of people, and end up neither loving nor hating them.

A sweaty Invisible Brainiac stumbled out of the cargo room. His chest heaving, he thought about how thoroughly Power Boy had tired him out. And in the cargo hold where they kept their supplies too!

Truthfully, he'd been surprised when Power Boy had approached him. He didn't think the young god was the type to offer a helping hand. Still, at least the workout would let him sleep soundly later. He headed for the showers to freshen up.

He was mentally reviewing the things he'd learned from Power Boy when he almost bumped into...

"Tempest!" IB stuttered as he jumped back. "Sorry, I..." he cut off, annoyed at how jumpy he sounded, and at the amused look on the Sorceress' face. He stood up proudly, trying not to think about his shirtless chest, or the revealing evening gown barely hiding Tempest's striking figure.

"It looks like you've been busy," Tempest said with a knowing smile. "With Power Boy, I presume?"

"He offered it."

"And you took it. I may have to rethink my opinion of you." Tempest reached out and ran a finger down IB's chest.

"Which is?" IB tried to keep his voice steady, though he doubted it would make a difference. Tempest had a way of making him feel naked all the time. He tried to remember her lying helpless in his arms while they were fleeing from Titus, which only made him even more nervous.

"That you are such a young innocent boy. Yet, looking at you now, I can see you are entering your prime." She looked him up and down. "I would have wanted Lard Lad, Cobalt Kid or Power Boy, but you'll do for now. Come." And without another word, she turned around and walked into her room.

IB gulped, and followed her in.

"You'll have to do better than that."

"I'm trying!" IB could barely get the words out. He was sweating all over, and Tempest was only tiring him out more.

"Anthony would not have given up so easily."

"YOU would know that!" IB tried to keep from snapping, but it wasn't easy. "It's hard to concentrate, alright? Plus, I'm tired out."

He shifted his position to keep his balance, and pushed harder and harder.

Tempest smiled once more.

#119482 10/05/11 05:23 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
The events depicted here take place before the Fellowship members land on Haven.

IB leaned back and admired his handiwork. "There, your room's as good as new."

Tempest smiled approvingly. "Nobody would know that I had just been conjuring some items we would need later on. Since I have no idea what will become of this ship, it seemed like a wise precaution."

"So why did you have me push all your cauldrons and stuff into a portal, anyway? Couldn't you just have magicked them?"

"I was tired. Divining takes quite a bit of energy, and I need to conserve it for what we'll face in the Hive."

IB nodded, but he didn't really believe it. Someone as powerful as Tempest not being able to levitate a few cauldrons? Didn't sound right.

Tempest smiled again. "Magical implements are enchanted against most common spells, so I could not have simply levitated or teleported them away. And I also wanted to get to know you a little more." IB gulped again. Talk about feeling naked - Tempest seemed to be able to read his mind.

Her tone turned serious. "I need to have a sense of who all of you are, so I can cast my spells much more quickly on the battlefield. In the Hive, we five only have each other to depend on. And I would not want to lose an ally."

IB nodded slowly. He knew Tempest had feelings for Lardy, but he was touched that she also cared for the rest of them. He hadn't really thought she was capable of doing so.

"Thanks."

Tempest smiled again, a much warmer one this time.

A thoroughly exhausted IB came out of Tempest's room. His hand fingered the pendant around his neck, newly enchanted by the sorceress. It was a prism shaped in a crescent moon, with a smaller globe inside the curve. Tempest had laid a small protection charm on it, in thanks for his help.

On his way to the showers, he ran into Cobalt Kid. The older LMBPer raised an eyebrow. "Ordinarily, I'd say you'd been having some naughty fun, but with only 5 of us on board this ship, I kind of doubt that's it."

IB grinned. "You know me too well. Nah, Power Boy offered me a training session. Said he liked my moves on Hul, but I needed to loosen up a bit. So he put me through one of his "god of war" type sessions." IB winced as he fingered the bruise on his side. "He hits hard. But he taught me a lot about knowing when to hold back, and when to let loose. Didn't burn any holes in the side of the ship though, don't worry."

"Then after that, Tempest asked me to help her with her cauldrons and stuff. She's been working hard, preparing some magical mumbo that should help us out later."

Cobie nodded. "I wondered what she'd been doing..." A momentary frown crossed his face, and vanished in a flash. Clapping IB on the back, he said, "You're preparing hard! Good, we're going to need you at your best when we enter the Hive."

"I wouldn't want to let you down in there. Not after you specifically asked me along on this mission." He paused for a moment, then continued. "I know you're a bit worried about what else we'll have to do to succeed - but I know everyone will understand. They may not agree, but they'll know you had the right intentions. Even Lolita. And the Princess."

Cobalt still smiled, but his eyes were serious. "I hope so. And you feel the same way?"

"Well... part of me's conflicted about it. But I completely agree that our actions will ultimately lead to the greater good."

"That's good enough for me. Thanks, IB." His frown turned into a grin. "And after all this is done, let's toast a job well done with lots of silverale."

"And scantily-clad women dancers, of course." IB winked. "No more sneaking me into the clubs invisibly, like when I first came to Legion World!"

With a laugh and a high five, the two parted. It was moments like this that made the long journeys through space, and towards an uncertain future, a little less lonely.

It takes inner strength to laugh out loud while leaping into the jaws of danger.

#119483 10/06/11 04:21 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard

"Lardy?" IB laid a hand on the shoulder of his sleeping teammate. "Don't you want to head off to bed?"

Lard Lad woke up with a start, arms flexed and combat ready. He only relaxed after he'd scanned the area.

"Sorry, IB. Force of habit. Hope I didn't startle you." Lardy looked exhausted, and IB could tell he felt the same way. He tried his to hide it with a grin. "I'm usually very lovable when I'm asleep, as many women would attest to."

"I must be talking to the wrong women, then." IB's grin was quickly replaced by a look of concern. "Are you alright, though? I know you haven't been sleeping much lately..."

"Thanks for worrying, but I'm used to it." Lard Lad paused, emphasizing those last words. "But seriously, thanks. Don't worry, I need to keep awake so... so I can fine-tune our plans."

IB decided not to press Lard Lad on his real reasons. He didn't really know the older LMBPer all that well, but he and Cobalt Kid were best friends, and that was good enough for him. Sure, Lard Lad had made some questionable decisions in the past, but he'd owned up to them at the start of the mission.

Now was not the time to start doubting his teammates.

"Well, I'm sure you're doing a great job making it idiot- and evil counterpart- proof, but you know us LMBpers love to improvise. Besides, you'll do better when you're fresh, right?" Lardy's mouth opened, but IB continued on firmly. "Look, why don't you take a nap? My grandma taught me this awesome cream soup recipe that'll have you sleeping like a baby."

Lard Lad paused for a moment, taking in IB as if seeing him for the first time.

"I didn't know you knew how to cook. Guess that's why all the ladies love you, like Des says."

"And the men too. I found that out the hard way when I wore my "Kiss the cook" apron to a barbecue."

Lardy laughed, a sound IB hadn't heard in a while. "I bet you wore that on purpose, huh? Nice tactics there."

IB put a finger to his lips in a ssshing motion, and gave Lardy a wink. "Hey, don't give me away! So, wanna help me chop up the veggies?"

Lard Lad nodded, and the two began rummaging through their supplies.

Later on, when the others woke up, they would find a large pot of steaming soup, and two Legionnaires sleeping peacefully beside the potatoes and squash they'd brought along.

A burst of light in a gloomy day can go a long way.

#119484 10/06/11 11:36 PM
Active
Active
Hrykosia,
The Dark Oval

After the planning meeting had adjourned, Kalla and Lon walked together in the courtyard located in the center of Castle Hrykos.

As the two took in the sights and smells of the courtyard's luscious garden, Kalla asked, "do you like it, Lon?"

"Well, hon," he said thoughtfully, "I'm not much for gardens and such, but I've got to admit that this is pretty beautiful. The scent from the flowers is really pleasant to my sensitive nose, too. Sometimes, they irritate me, but not here. I'm also intrigued by how all of the foliage here and all over Hrykosia is purple. I haven't seen its like in all of my travels."

"Hrykosian botanists say it's because of how the light from our binary star interacts with the Lin-Dak Nebula and, in turn, our atmosphere."

"Hm. I hope when all this is said and done that I can return and explore the wilderness here. The things I sense out there have me really curious."

Kalla went into his arms and said, "I certainly plan to spend much more time here with you when we complete the mission." Then, they kissed.

Lon broke the embrace after a moment. "Yeah, about the mission..."

"You don't like our infiltration plan, do you?"

"Well, on the contrary it seems like our best option--except for one part."

"It's about me going to see the Emperor without you in tow," she asserted.

"Well, yeah, obviously! That is one sick, sadistic bastard! The thought of you going in with just you and your Honor Guard is--!"

"--the only safe thing to do, Lon," she interrupted. "This is a routine, scheduled visit between two ruling Oval powers. I've done these many, many times...one of which was the occasion when I met the Earth-4 resistance. The visits went fine and without incident. The opportunity is golden for my ship to drop the cloaked escape pod with you, Rockhopper Lad and the rest of the team over the site the resistance will be expecting you as it approaches the imperial palace."

"I know, damnit, I KNOW!" he yelled, "but I should be among your security detail!"

Kalla smiled a little and rubbed his cheek to calm him. She loved how protective of her he is. "Lon, the Oval knows who you are. The Emperor is a sorceror. And I know for a fact that he has spells woven throughout his palace to detect any deception. Holograms, disguises and such won't fool them. In any case we've worked damned hard to conceal my treachery from the other Oval powers! They have no reason to suspect anything. I'll be in and out in NO time!"

"And besides..." She willed her hands to glow. "...I can take care of myself!"

"I...I know you can, Kalla. I just--okay, I'm not going to argue, any more. I trust you."

"Thanks, Fuzzy," she said affectionately. "Oh," she said looking up, "looks like the suns are going down, and we're leaving first thing in the morning. We'll need to get our rest. Why don't we go upstairs, so I can show you my--our--bedroom..." She winked with a wry smile.

He grinned back at her. "Sounds good--I could go for some...sleep."

"Well big boy, I think I'll change into something a little more comfortable. I've got some numbers in my wardrobe that I've been dying to wear for you! Wait about ten minutes and have a guard show you where my room is."

He sniffed loudly for emphasis, "no need, babe...I can find you anywhere." He knew her scent was one that he would know anywhere and would never have trouble following.

"See you soon, then, stud!" She giggled and half-ran toward the courtyard's exit.

He laughed loudly for a moment but frowned as she disappeared from sight.

"I trust you, babe," he said softly to himself, "but I don't trust that maniac. I'm going to follow you to that palace after the drop. I'll make damned sure you're safe..."

A few minutes later, he took in the sights and smells of the garden one last time and joined his lover for a memorable evening.

#119485 10/07/11 12:54 PM
Bold Flavors
OP Offline
Bold Flavors
The Dominion,
The Dark Oval

“Even with all our advantages,” said Kilrain, “it’s still some damn bloody fighting.”

“It’s glorious,” said General Belisarius, looking at the holo-vids at the battling raging across Dominion space. United Planets naval fleets were continuing their progress through the Dominion, slowly but surely overtaking the Dominators. Ever since they’d gotten the signal to move in, the UP had been able to overtake any resistance they’d come across and push forth the boundaries of UP space. The Dominators were simply too out of sorts and had been unable to mount any type of coordinated counter-resistance. They were an arrogant, malicious Empire and would continue to try subverting the UP’s efforts, but Belisarius was growing increasingly confident the Dominators would keep failing. The grand ole’ Dominion was falling at long last after so many millennia. “We’re finally doing it,” added the General. “We’re finally paying back these disk-heads for all the harm they’ve done.”

“Aye General,” said Kilrain, “that we are. But no victory is total,” he added, knowing the General wasn’t listening. Kilrain was growing older now and he couldn’t help but consider all those that were dying for the UP to make sure this victory was won.

For a moment silence overtook them as Belisarius concentrated on the different theaters of war ongoing, which were still largely confined to open space. Kilrain watched him, taking his measure very closely. The General was a good man, who clearly believed that what he was doing was right for the United Planets—indeed, the whole galaxy. He did not take the loss of life for granted. But despite his best efforts at hiding it, Belisarius was consumed by the idea of achieving eternal glory. And Kilrain knew that was dangerous.

“Have you any word on that other matter?” asked Belisarius without turning back to look at Kilrain.

“Nothing yet, General,” replied his lieutenant. Belisarius had ordered the capture of the LMBers in Dark Oval space if they were found. Specifically, he wanted Cobalt Kid arrested—and his notorious cohort Lard Lad—but the arrest warrant extended to all of them. General Belisarius remained furious about Cobalt Kid’s side deal with the Khunds and felt he’d had his glory robbed from him. Now he intended to make the LMBer pay, by putting him on trail. Kilrain knew this was nonsense because Prime Minister Maya adi Lva had already condoned the actions of Cobalt Kid, claiming they were her own plan. These arrest warrants were illegal. But in times of war, the law held little sway; the law was what the conquering General wished it to be.

Kilrain had met Cobalt Kid and several other LMBers over the years, although only briefly. Regardless, he liked what the LMB stood for. He hoped the UP military would not find them and would focus on the real enemy: the Dominators.

------------------

Korvic-2, formerly part of the Dominion,
The Dark Oval

“What is that fascinating noise?” asked Kid Vudoo, no longer able to hold back the question. It had been bugging him for over ten minutes. Everywhere they went, they heard the same buzzing sound in the background, as if it was occurring all at once throughout the planet.

A wide smile erupted across the face of Knightress. “Those are horns,” she said, feeling immense pride. “Tutulo horns; its their ancestral form of music here on Korvic,” she added. “For decades the Dominators had outlawed them, believing the noise was a subversive form of revolt. One of the first things that happened after we kicked those bony yellow asses out of here was the horns starting sounding again. And it was beautiful.”

“Yes,” said Crusader, as majestic as ever. “It is beautiful.” He stood upright and soaked it all in, feel his eyes well up a little with tears. His longtime consort, Maxx the Sorcerer, knew him too well and put his hand inside Crusader’s. Crusader was one of the most powerful telepaths in the galaxy and what he felt right now was so overwhelming that it was perhaps the most beautiful moment of his whole life. An entire planet full of people so happy, so full of joy and so full of love. Every single one of them was now experiencing for the first time in their lives the feeling of no longer being under the Dominion yoke. They had been set free—and the last generation free of the Dominators was long dead. Crusader felt every emotion telepathically and it flooded his senses. It was beautiful.

“This was one of the first ones we came to,” said Knightress. She was a member of the Space Knights Templar, the warrior-monk organization headed by LMBers Eryk Davis Ester and Cobalt Kid. Their role in these galactic events was to infiltrate the planets within the Dominion that had been crushed by the Dominators tyranny and to help augment the rebellions on those planets. The sentients themselves would win the victory, but the Knights would make sure they had the tools needed to do so: supplies, strategy…hope.

“Where are you off to next?” asked Dedman to Knightress.

“Not sure yet but I’ll know by the end of the day. Karic-2 had been officially liberated. So the Knights here are off to the next planet to try to do the same. And I, for one, can’t wait.” Knightress had a conviction about her that was very endearing. Dedman couldn’t help but smile.

While they talked, Crusader looked over at Cleome, whom he had recently helped rescue from Dominator clutches, and smiled to see she was enjoying exactly the same thing he was. Her connection with the sentient fauna in the Dominion—previously used as slave-technology and liberated—was giving her the same exact vibes.

“I’m glad we stopped here,” said Crusader. They were under orders to return to the United Planets and then get new orders from there—likely to split up and be sent throughout the UP to assist in any way they could. This global war was causing all kinds of problems basically everywhere imaginable and there would be no lack of things to do. But Crusader suggested they resupply on Karic-2 although they all clearly knew he wanted to get a situation report on what was occurring. He was a Prince of Psynoia and experienced diplomat. The politics of the world were his concern. “I feel better about what’s going on.”

Cleome looked up, still smiling from her conversation with the vegetation. Suddenly, the words came out before she could think about them. “I’m considering staying in the Dark Oval,” she said.

This caught Crusader by surprise.

------------------

United Planets Space

“Where in tarnation are we going?” said Raging Bull. He was getting bored looking at stars.

CJ Taylor piped in, so make the question more gentle. “It has been a bit long to be on the road without knowing our destination. You guys have already explained why you came to get us, so why the secrecy in our destination?”

My Whee Fem looked at Space Ranger as if to see if she had permission to answer the question. Space Ranger didn’t make a motion one way or another but somehow My seemed to get a read off of him. “Because we really don’t know ourselves,” she said matter of factly. “Otherwise we would have told you already. Obvi,” she added.

“Yessir, ‘cuz that makes a lot of sense…” said Raging Bull in annoyance, turning back towards the stars.

“What she means,” said Space Ranger, “is that we don’t know where you’re going ultimately. But we’re bringing you towards someone who does. The man who is going to take you there.”

Now CJ Taylor raised his eyebrow. He knew already that his possible pedigree—being of the same bloodline of Lard Lad and Eryk Davis Ester—was causing him to be an important player here. Somehow this was important to these galactic events. But up until now he was not aware he’d have to actually be going somewhere. “So we’re going to somebody in particular,” said CJ. “A man. Well, where is he? I mean, he must be somewhere and if we’re going there, then where is it….?”

“I told you, we don’t know…” said My Whee Fem frustrated by the question.

“ENOUGH,” said Space Ranger suddenly in a loud voice. “Look ahead. That answers all questions. We don’t know because we’ve been going in a single direction waiting to be picked up. Until now, we’ve been waiting to hear those infamous dragon war drums that people dread on Legion World.”

“But there is no sound is space…?” said CJ quietly.

“Not true pard,” said Raging Bull right back.

“What I mean is,” said Space Ranger as suddenly a gigantic warship came into view, “is that I’m taking you to Hrun the Barbarian. And then, I’m afraid, I have no idea where he’s taking you next.”

#119486 10/07/11 01:36 PM
Active
Active
As the sun started to go down, Lolita realized she better take in the sights and smells of this amazing land as much as possible because soon their brief stay here will have come to an abrupt end. It was a shame really; she had expected Hrykosia to be barren and almost a wasteland—probably because of her feelings towards Kalla Hrykos. She was pleasantly shocked at how beautiful the planet was. The Hrykosians had a deep respect for nature and its power and had done an amazing job preserving it. Very few planets had ever done such a good job preserving their natural beauty (Legion World, the relative newcomer was one). It just smelled so fresh.

Suddenly she felt a huge splash of water hit her feet. It was deliberately placed. In the pond below her with a wry smile was Shark Lad. “Stop thinking so hard,” he said with a laugh, “you’re giving me a headache.”

“Oh, so sorry,” she said sarcastically, “sorry to cause you any discomfort!” she added, kicking water at him.

He let it hit him with a smile. Shark Lad couldn’t wait to enjoy the lush ponds nearby and she was glad to get away with him and take in the beautiful scenery.

She dived into the water neatly. She was amazed at how much time she spent in a bathing suit now that she was dating a shark hybrid. She emerged from the water and looked around and Shark Lad was nowhere to be found. She immediately knew what was coming.

Shark Lad all at once grabbed her in his arms and breached the surface, causing everything remotely close by to get soaking wet. It was so much chaos all at once, even though she knew it was coming, that she couldn’t help breaking out into laughter at the top of her lungs.

Her genuine, innocent laughter caused Shark Lad to laugh right back. There was something very fragile about the laugh.

The laughter began to subside and she put her arms around him and kissed him deeply. She then hugged him against his chest and sank into a comfortable position there in the water leaning against him. She had no idea what else might be in this pond but knew it would be nowhere close to them—when an apex predator like Shark Lad entered the waters, everything else went running. Except her.

“You’re finally relaxing,” he said, picking up on it.

“Thanks to you,” she said with a smile. It was true. Following her uneasy parting with Cobalt Kid at the breaking of the fellowship, she had remained uneasy thereafter. She didn’t trust Kalla Hrykos and worried that splitting up the group would remove all the possible impediments against her doing whatever she wanted. Timberwolf was, in her mind, obviously going along with what Kalla wanted. She would have to trust Rockhopper Lad would know what to do if Kalla showed her true colors.

But there was something else. Until now, every part of this plan had partially been crafted by her. Cobie always included her in the planning, listened to her counsel and adapted his plan to work in her ideas. Now that he was no longer here, this was basically Kalla and Rocky’s show. And they didn’t know her that well, and were not going to include her in the important planning stages. The data analysis, strategic assumptions and planning element were what she did; that was how her powerset worked. If they didn’t include her in the plans, what good was she? What role did she really have to play? And all of those doubts she always harbored once again felt like they were bubbling towards the surface.

Sharky finally gave her some perspective. “Everything you’re feeling…is what every one of us is feeling,” he said. “You think I’m not concerned I’m out of place here? Or Helena? Or Time-Teller Lad? Everyone one of us had doubts about even coming here. What we can offer. If our usual skills on Legion World will be any use. All you can do about it is face these things head on and see what happens. Maybe you’ll use those skills or maybe you’ll find yourself in a situation where a whole new set of skills you barely ever use will save the day. But don’t think so little of yourself that just because you’re stuck in an undefined situation that you won’t be fantastic.”

The thought of those words, spoken to her a few hours earlier, made her want to kiss him even more. His protection of her extended to even her own securities.

“It is so serene right now,” she said as a brisk gust of wind swept past them giving her goosebumps on her bare skin. “Maybe we can return on the way home.”

“Sure,” said Shark Lad, trying to make his words convincing. He still wasn’t convinced they’d ever see this place again.

#119487 10/13/11 03:05 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Never lose your sense of wonder. For when you lose your ability to be amazed, the world also loses its ability to become interesting.

Invisible Brainiac soared up through the clouds above Haven, taking care not to change out of his light form.

The fumes around him were thick, and decidedly unhealthy. IB couldn't remember ever being on a more ironically-named world before.

He zipped around the spaceport, taking mental notes of the numbers and types of spacecraft present. Nothing unusual; still no Hive or Dominion ships, as it had been when they first arrived.

Glancing around, IB decided to hover for a while. He knew it was important he report right away, even if his observations were routine. But he wanted to take a small souvenir of Haven while he was here. Who knows when he might come back, right?

Shielding his eyes, he looked towards the clouds. Dirty though they may be, they were still amazingly beautiful. The pollutants of different types of craft mingled with each other, and with the smokestacks of the planet below, to create a multi-colored swirling fog above the planet. Particles of different kinds of trace metals glinted in the that cloud. When the sunlight hit it just right, it reminded him of colorful bubbles trapped in crystal.

Taking a piece of film out of his pocket, IB focused his light powers. An instant later, a picture formed. He smiled, satisfied. This would make for a great story back home. He couldn't wait, he already missed M...

He barely had time to finish his thought as he heard a whistling sound behind him.

Instinctively, he turned back to light as a fist punched the air where he had hung just a millisecond ago.

"Who...?!" IB yelled as he fired a burst of light where he had been. It was intended as a warning, though whoever was fast enough to sneak up on him was probably powerful enough to take a hit.

"Excellent dodging." Power Boy said calmly, arms crossed over his chest as he sidestepped the blast.

IB relaxed a bit, but not much. "Aw man, I thought we were done training for now. You wiped me out on the way here."

"Better me than one of our enemies, right?" Power Boy smiled, and added, "Besides, aren't you getting bored? I thought you'd like a little fun."

"If you think getting injured is fun," IB retorted. "The only injuries I enjoy getting are hickeys on my neck."

Power Boy laughed. "I keep forgetting, you're no longer the innocent "youngest LMBPer ever". Not innocent, anyway." He flew closer to IB. "I'm serious, though. Even in the best of times, we make tantalizing targets. And here, in Dark Oval territory, we are as tempting as a golden goose left unguarded. You have to watch your back. You won't be able to enjoy your hickeys if your head is separate from your body."

IB sighed. Power Boy was right, and there was no getting around that. He had to take care of himself, since someone was waiting for him back home. "All right, all right, you win. I have to keep my head in the game. So... Are you done scouting your part of the terrain? You still have some time before Tempest's concealment spell fades."

Power Boy grinned. "I'm very efficient."

"I can tell - it only took you a couple of hits to bruise my entire left side."

"And since we're not supposed to engage the GEM while we're here - so you're the only chance I have to spar."

"Great. Just great." IB hung his head a bit, before turning away from Power Boy. "I don't suppose I could have a little bit of peace first? The sky just looks so wonderful."

Power Boy floated beside him. "It does, at that. I knew a new god once who..."

The words never left his mouth, as a fist came smashing into his kidney. Power Boy doubled over, more in surprise than in pain.

"Gotcha! Now, catch me if you can!"

Power Boy looked up to see a trail of sparkles where IB was.

With a grin (and while rubbing his side), Power Boy set off after his younger ally.

15 minutes later, they would both arrive back at the ship with several new bruises on their arms and backs, and several useful estimates of the Dark Oval's military strength.

And lungfuls of polluted air from laughing and taunting each other all the way back to the ship.

#119488 10/15/11 05:09 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Elsewhere on Haven

"I've been here before, you know," Lardy said as he and Cobalt walked amidst the expansive commerce area of Haven's major city. Both were dressed in their elven cloaks, which both had received as gifts on an adventure several years ago, to walk among the masses unnoticed.

"Yeah, you've alluded to this before, Lardy. I assumed it was when you were after Mordra a while back."

Lardy frowned a moment at the memory. "Yes, it was," he replied. "Back in our first year, after Mordra killed LeeLee and escaped from custody, I hung out in disguise in a lot of dives all over the U.P. and established underworld contacts in hope of finding out where she'd disappeared her. Years passed with nothing ever turning up, but I kept touch with all those contacts."

"Then, years later, as you know, Mordra popped back up and stole my powers before nearly destroying Legion World. She escaped capture again, but this time my contacts were able to follow some breadcrumbs that suggested she was in the Dark Oval, as I'd long suspected."

"That's when you left us," Cobalt pointed out.

"Yes, it was," Lardy admitted.

"You know something, Lardy?" Cobalt said in exasperation at the memory of the pain he felt when he found Lardy's letter explaining he had gone after Mordra. "I would have gladly gone with you! It really hurt that you didn't let me come along!"

Lardy shook his head. "I know...I know, Des. But she had hurt me in a very personal way--twice. I was in a bad way. I knew, even then, that I was gonna kill her. I couldn't make you an accomplice to that..."

"Well, that happened anyway, didn't it?" Cobalt asserted.

"Yeah, it did. But that was never my intention."

"I was determined to find you, Lardy, and I did. But there's no sense in rehashing that crap. We're way past that."

"Yeah, we've moved on to a whole 'nother level of war crimes since then."

Both chuckled, though Cobalt's was more uneasy with the Dominion affair still weighing on him.

"Anyway," Lardy said continuing his original thought, "after I left Legion World, I got one of my contacts to get me a job aboard a smuggling vessel as a laborer. They were actually smuggling some fissionable material for nega-bombs."

"Nega-bombs?!?!" Cobalt gasped. "You should have busted them and found some other way!"

"Shhh!" Lardy said looking around sheepishly. "It's okay...I secretly rendered the material inert with some of the ship's safety protocols. It all ended up being useless for them. I was never that far-gone!"

"That's a relief," Cobalt sighed.

"Anyhow, the ship brought me here on Haven. Once off the ship, I spent months blending in with the local scum finding out all I could about where Mordra was. Eventually, I traced her to Hrykosia, hitched a ride with a group of mercs to one of the Hrykosian outposts and eventually met up with Huldnaf, an underboss with Hrykosia's government-sponsored organized crime cartels."

"Huldnaf. That was Kalla's old lover," Cobalt recalled from the files.

"Yes," Lardy affirmed, "he was a good, trusting guy, actually. By then, Morda and Damyen Hrykos knew what I was up to and manipulated Huldnaf to bring me closer. They killed him for his service." He paused for a moment in reflection of all the mistakes he made.

Finally, he continued. "But while I was on Haven, I met a lot of G.E.M. They're good people, Des. Conquered peoples of all the five powers conscripted to fight on the front lines, so that their worlds will be spared from total destruction. You know what they do to subjected worlds that rebel or refuse to fall in line?"

Cobalt shuddered, hoping that his hunch wasn't right. "What happens to them, Lardy?"

"They feed those worlds to the Hive, Des."

Both of their faces darkened as the enormity of the task in front of them weighed heavily.

"Come on, Lardy," Cobalt finally said. "Let's find those supplies we're going to need."

"Over there," Lardy said, pointing. "That's our best bet."

The two entered the shop and did their best to not look as if the weight of the galaxy were on their shoulders.

Page 6 of 21 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,991
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star