Roll Call
0 members (), 30 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 21 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 20 21
Re: LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval
#119714 07/20/12 05:31 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
The Portal
About Three Days’ Normal Space Travel from Weber’s World

IB Green reached out to Angdar Fel telepathically. “How’s the invisibility working for you guys?”

“All good. Doesn’t seem like any of the ghouls have spotted us so far. Think we can use this in the showers when we get back?”

“We could, but while you’re ogling the girls in the locker room, Blaze will be ogling you too,” IB grinned mentally as he asked Pov to loop Blaze into the conversation. “Your other crushes are the same type as Angdar, right Blaze?”

“Hoooooooooooooney!” Blaze replied in mock anger. “Don’t worry Angdar, I just look. I don’t touch.”

“That’s good, I wouldn’t want to make IB jealous,” Angdar winked as he slammed his mace into another ghoul. “Careful, Kairos, that one behind you is a fire-breather.”

“Thanks, but I got this,” Kairos said as her time powers reduced the ghoul to dust.

“Just a reminder, team, your main goal is to take out the portal, not defeat all the ghouls. With the Dark Army still pouring through, you keep taking them out and they’ll know you’re there. Let me and Pov do the fighti-“ IB Green suddenly cut off in mid-thought.

“IB?” Blaze asked with fear in his voice. “Where are you? I have to –“

“SSSSH!” hissed Marvin as he placed a hand on Blaze’s mouth. “Don’t lose it. I’m sure he’s fine, okay? Now keep moving or get stuck in the crossfire.” Marvin pulled Blaze down and out of the line of a giant panther who was “running” in space. Marvin pointed in the direction they had come from. “Look, he’s alright.”

Blaze turned and saw a green glow in the distance, and a message written in large green letters – “I’m OK. Pov just got the wind knocked out of him. Telepathy will be back in 3… 2…”

“1!” IB’s voice rang out in their heads again, and Blaze relaxed. “Sorry for worrying you, honey,” IB pathed to him. Blaze sent warm feelings of love back. “No need to say sorry, just glad you’re safe.”

“Let’s get moving,” Kinetix urged, sounding impatient. “The longer we wait, the more ghouls come out.”

“Agreed. And keep an eye out – even though we’re invisible, we’re not 100% safe,” Marvin added.

“I’ll do my best to maintain the telepathic link,” Pov added, “but the farther you go the fainter we’ll be. Just holler for help if you need it.”

The five nodded their thanks as they flew off towards the portal.

Kinetix shivered as they alit on a small piece of debris near the portal. It looked like a floating ring that glowed a sickly yellow color. It was an awful, ugly and unnatural tear in the fabric of reality. They could barely see through to the other side, as ghouls were still pouring out. “How are we going to close that again, when we can’t possibly get close enough?”

“We’d anticipated that,” Angdar said. “That’s why we need you all here.”

Marvin pulled out a black sphere about the size of a bowling ball. It was featureless, except for some lines and grooves around it. “This is the bomb I mentioned. Kinetix, you will coat it with Nth metal provided by Angdar so the ghouls won’t detect it. You will also levitate it into the portal, right smack dab in the middle. Once it’s inside, you need to spread the Nth metal out and let it cover as much of the portal space as possible.”

Marvin quickly flipped a switch, and two small holes appeared on the sphere’s sides. “These are our propulsion system. Unfortunately, they’re rather crude. They’ll be the backup in case the portal affects your telekinesis.” The sphere whirred and energy suddenly jetted out of the holes. The sphere began to advance, slowly but not quite steadily. It wobbled from side to side, though its flight path remained reasonably steady.

“Once it’s inside,” Angdar continued, “you, Blaze, will ignite the bomb. The fuse is here,” he pointed at the deepest groove on the sphere, one that ran around its entire diameter. “Just focus your magical flame on it. You can do that from about 30 meters away, right?”

Blaze nodded; IB had carefully measured the distance of his flame powers. “My only problem is I’m still working on my control. I have trouble keeping the flames focused.”

Kairos raised her hand. “I’m not the smartest kid in class or anything, but won’t the bomb blow us up from that short a distance?”

“That’s where you come in,” Marvin grinned. “Your time powers can slow down the explosion enough for us to get away. Once the bomb ignites, we’re to telepathically call IB and Pov to get us out of
here and back to the ship.”

“And if the telepathic link is broken again?” Kinetix asked.

“IB and I discussed this. He’ll use his powers to keep an eye on us by manipulating light from our position. He’ll be able to see us as if we were right next to him.”

Blaze, Kinetix and Kairos were quiet. The plan was good, and seemed simple enough, but it required split-second timing. One missed step, one tiny delay…. They looked at each other and shrugged. “Not like we have much of a choice, anyway. Let’s go.”

The group worked in silence. Their unspoken words hung in the air – good luck to them all.

Kinetix quickly wrapped the Nth metal provided by Angdar around the sphere, leaving spaces for the jet holes. “They won’t see the glow of my telekinetic field, right?” Kinetix asked. Marvin shook his head. “As long as IB maintains his cloak, we’re good.”

“I’m sure he has the stamina,” Kinetix winked. Blaze looked daggers at her as she lifted the sphere higher and higher. When it was about level with the middle of the portal, she rocketed it forward.

“Closer… closer…” Angdar whispered as he stood beside her. Blaze noted that his body turned towards hers, though he didn’t touch her and his eyes remained focused on the portal. “Okay, now a bit higher… and to the right… good. Now, when I say GO, begin to warp the Nth metal so it covers the entire portal like a ring. Have it hover just inside the edges. How long will that take you?”

Kinetix thought for a moment. “About 5 seconds.”

Angdar turned to Blaze. “Can you light the fuse in 5 seconds? Although the ghouls can’t see the Nth metal, we’d best not wait too long.”

Blaze nodded. “I can do that,” he said as he charged up his fire powers. “Let’s do this.”

“Alright. Kairos, be ready. Remember, focus your time powers on the bomb, the portal, and the ghouls in the area. We want to keep them locked near the field so the explosion destroys them too. As we retreat, release your field slowly, starting from the center going on out.” Kairos nodded impatiently, though rather shakily. This was a lot of pressure for a girl in her late teens.

“You’ll be fine,” Marvin said reassuringly. Kairos nodded, and mouthed thanks.

Angdar looked at each in turn. “Okay, then… Kinetix, GO!”

The Nth metal began to flow from the sphere like ink from a brush that had been dropped in water. Kinetix’s eyes and hands glowed green as she wove the metal around the portal’s edges. She gritted her teeth. “This is harder than it was while we were practicing.”

“Must be the unique properties of the portal,” Angdar said. “It’s okay. You’re doing fine.”

Kinetix nodded and continued working. The Nth metal flowed along, entwining itself. Kinetix “folded” it so that the metal hung around the sides of the portal, extending into the space beyond – the space where the Dark Army came from. “I’m almost done,” she called.

“Are you ready, Blaze?” called Marvin.

Blaze stood, feet apart, arms outstretched, eyes closed. Beads of sweat collected on his forehead. He mustn’t - couldn’t – fail. IB and all the others were depending on him. He swallowed, then willed himself to burst into flame. “I am. Here goes nothing.”

He opened his eyes, and saw a flash of movement. Something else else was moving quickly towards him. “Get down!” Marvin yelled. Kairos screamed.

Blaze’s breathe rushed out as something slammed into him, then he only saw darkness. Before he fell, all he could think of as IB.

IB Green smirked as he jammed his quarterstaff between the planes of a crystalline ghoul, much like the one they had fought on Titus’ world. He pushed, and the force split the ghoul apart. “I know how to beat you now,” he laughed. “I should, almost killed me last time.”

“Urgh… I wish I’d gone along with you guys,” Poverty Lad thought as he dodged a being made of what seemed to be rubber. “My punches go through it, and it doesn’t seem to have a mind I can work with.”

“Hmmm…” IB pondered, scanning the battlefield. “I have an idea.” He dodged the claws of a large wolf and severed its head with a laser. He then zipped around the battlefield to float behind a ghoul made entirely of lava. “Pov, over here!”

Pov quickly grabbed the rubbery ghoul’s leg and swung it hard. It crashed first into a large stone ghoul, then into a spikey giant porcupine. Punch-drunk, it couldn’t resist as Pov flung it against the lava ghoul. As they collided, both ghouls screamed. The one made of rubber melted, while the one made of lava hardened and crusted over as it was covered in molten rubber.

“Nice going, kid. Looks like the others taught you a lot,” Pov laughed as he gave IB a thumbs-up.

IB returned the sign, when a bolt of pain seared through his mind. Blaze. He looked at Pov, who looked back, eyes wide. “He’s still alive. But he’s badly hurt.”

IB looked in the direction the others had gone, fear in his eyes. What had happened? He had to go to Blaze. Now. He made ready to fly off after them when a cloud of blackness appeared before them.

“No, not now…” IB whispered. “It’s the Dream-Eater. “

“That’s the…”

“The thing we faced near the Brood Homeworld,” IB’s voice was grim. “It’s much smaller than the other one, but no less dangerous I bet. Pov, I need you to blast like you’ve never blasted before.”

#119715 07/20/12 05:38 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
The Portal

“This is making me very, very angry,” Marvin said as he took aim at the ghoul that was bent over Blaze’s still form. He squinted and fired right at its head. A hole appeared, and flames spilled out. Marvin fired again, and this time it was cold ice that poured out and, spreading over the ghoul’s body. It toppled over and cracked in pieces.

Marvin quickly looked around. Kairos was unconscious; the ghoul had knocked her aside as it leapt for Blaze. Kinetix’s arm was burned, but she was fighting through it to maintain her field on the bomb. Angdar was tending to her; he’d fitted an Nth metal glove on her arm. “This should help you heal,” he whispered.

Marvin flew to where Blaze was lying. The youth felt so cold, and looked so pale. It was like the very life had been sucked out of him by the fire-breathing monster. He listened for a heartbeat… and it was there. It was very faint, though.

Marvin fished out a small gun-like device and held it to Blaze’s temple. It whirred to life, and Blaze sat up with a jolt. “Ohhhh… what happened?”

“Blaze, listen. You were attacked by a ghoul that can absorb fire. It drained you. Are you okay? Can you still ignite the bomb?”

Blaze cupped his head in his hands, then reached for Marvin’s outstretched hand. He stood up slowly, steadying himself. He willed himself to burn. His hands sparked, but only his forefingers fired up.

“I… I can’t. I’m too weak to do more than this,” he sighed, sitting back down. “I’m sorry.”

“Damn,” Marvin gritted his teeth. “Of all the times for us to get attacked!” He glanced over at Kinetix, who was hovering in and out of consciousness herself. Angdar looked up and shook his head. “She won’t be able to maintain her field for much longer. The Nth metal is helping her, but it won’t have that big an effect until she rests.”

“So what do we do…” Blaze paused as IB Green’s voice shouted out at them telepathically. “Is Blaze okay? Are you all okay? What happened!” His fear was palpable.

“I’m sorry for worrying you, hon,” Blaze answered. “We were attacked before I could ignite the bomb. I… I can’t anymore. I’m sorry, I’m still too weak.”

“Kairos is down and Kinetix is hurt very badly,” Marvin added. “We’ll lose our window in the next few minutes.”

“Grife, I don’t really care. I’m just glad you’re all okay,” IB said. His tone meant he was glad Blaze and everyone else was okay. “Oh Blaze baby, I’m so sorry… Look, let’s go back to Weber’s World.

Pov and I are blasting through the miniature Dream-Eater we encountered. It’s taking all of our juice too. We’ll come pick you up, go back and figure something out.”

“It won’t be that easy,” Marvin said. “We needed Blaze because of the magical nature of his powers. It has to be him who ignites the bomb. We HAVE to wait for Blaze to recover.”

The unspoken objection was: how many people would die while that happened? Blaze could feel IB’s anguish. Their team would live, but their failure meant many more would die.

He couldn’t let that happen.

“IB, I… I love you.” Blaze whispered. “Please forgive me.” Blaze blocked the surge of surprise from IB as he lunged forward and wrestled Marvin’s gun from his hand. The Martian’s eyes went wide underneath his helmet as Blaze hit him on the head. Then he took off, ignoring IB’s scream.

IB screamed in the recesses of his mind as he poured all his light energy into the ghoul. Outwardly, though, anyone would see only his focus. He had to get to Blaze. Nothing else mattered now.
“Pov, focus your eye beams on the spot I’m hitting!” Pov complied as IB intensified his own energy. The Dream-Eater pulsed and shifted, trying to get away. “Now, keep focusing while I broaden my field…” IB’s beam slowly widened, hitting the entire mass of the Dream-Eater. It rippled, almost as if it were convulsing… and then it was gone.

IB zoomed off without a word. In microseconds he was near the portal. He passed Kinetix, who was cradling her burnt arm. Kairos and Marvin were both lying sprawled on the floating rock. Angdar was flapping his wings with all his might, reaching his arm out to stop…

Blaze. Blaze was so close to the portal.

IB used his light powers to reinforce the invisibility around Blaze even as he thought how he could blast him. He had to ration just enough power to stun Blaze and stop him from flying...

He fired. A ghoul who was passing by took the blow. No. There were too many of them. He couldn't get a clear shot. Try to blast through them and he might hit Blaze by accident.

IB’s heart stopped as he screamed through Pov’s mindlink. “Blaze, baby, please! You don’t have to do this! Come back!” He was so close. He could almost touch him.

Blaze turned back for a moment to smile. “But baby, I want to. To save you all. I’m sorry for making you sad. But you’d better go back now.”

IB’s arm stretched out as tears ran down his face. “Wait! Wait, I can…”

Blaze was crying too. “You’re tired, baby. You can’t. Please. Live for me.” His eyes bored into IB’s, as IB tried to grab at the bomb he was holding. He was so close…

A small flame ignited on the tip of Blaze's finger. The same finger that had caressed IB so many times before.

“I love you.”

Then the universe screamed around them as IB felt the force of a thousand suns batter his body.

#119716 07/20/12 05:42 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
The Portal

IB Green stood silently, staring at space where the portal had been. It was gone now. So were the ghouls in the immediate area. And so was Blaze.

IB had never felt so much pain before. He could physically feel his heart aching. It hurt so much that even after he’d exhausted himself destroying the ghouls who’d survived the explosion, he still couldn’t rest.

He turned to survey his surviving friends. Kinetix was lying on the ground exhausted; her burned arm fully encased in Nth metal. Kairos was sitting up, still trying to absorb what had happened. Poverty Lad was beside her; he had arrived just in time to carry her and Kinetix away from the blast.

Marvin had taken his helmet off and couldn’t look in IB’s direction; he was thanking Angdar for saving him. “I didn’t know you could reverse your flight in mid-air,” he said. The compliment was hollow; it was a way to avoid talking about what had happened.

Angdar looked drained; the strain of flying so fast and carrying Marvin must have been enormous. One hand held his side. His once-glorious Nth metal armor was dinged and dirty. But he was a warrior, and he walked like one towards his comrade. “Are you okay, IB?”

“I was able to turn myself to light instinctively. It was tiring. I almost couldn’t keep my atoms together as the blast hit me,” IB said emotionlessly. He had cried all his tears out already. Angdar reached out to touch his shoulder. “IB…”

IB whirled on him. “Angdar, please, please don’t say you know how I feel. Maybe you do. But right now I don’t want empathy. I want to… to… Sprock, I just want to make sure this doesn’t happen again!” He threw back his head and screamed. It wasn’t helping. He just kept feeling angrier and angrier.

“IB, please! I know you’re hurting, but you can’t lose it now. We have to get back to Weber’s World,” Marvin pleaded. “Please. Don’t let Blaze’s sacrifice be in vain.”

“Oh, I won’t, Marvin. But I also won’t let anyone else be sacrificed,” IB said as he floated off the asteroid. His whole body was glowing now. “I could have saved him, Marvin. I could have, if I weren’t afraid to use my powers to the fullest. But no more.” He turned to look at Marvin and the others. “You stay here and rest. By the time you get back to Weber’s World, the war will be over.”

And with that, he took off at light speed. IB Green closed his eyes and reached out to his other selves. “Boys… feel our pain. And our righteous anger.”

He would cry later.

Weber's World

“... and forty-seven seconds before we get there.” Rockhopper Lad said via telepathic conference among the LMB leadership. “I’m sorry, I wish we could arrive earlier.”

“You did your best, Rocky. Just managing to return Earth-4 to its own universe, then bring everyone back here, was a big feat. But we can’t keep this up much longer,” IB Indigo said. “News of Legion World’s safety has given us LMBers a second wind, but even after your group shows, we’ll still be horribly outmatched. We need more help. Will the UP Fleet be coming?”

“As to that, all we can do is to wait and see,” Kent Shakespeare said. The others were silent. They knew that someone must be working on bringing Belisarius to heel, but it was by no means a sure thing.

“We’re holding our own planetside,” Spellbinder said wearily, “but too many enemies are getting past our orbital defenses. Is there any way to bolster them immediately?”

IB Indigo’s tone was very regretful. “I’m sorry, Spellbinder. Covering the whole of Weber’s World with my light shield means it’s stretched thin somewhat. I can’t make it fully opaque or there’d be huge gaping holes in the shield. Enemies able to bypass light by turning invisible or into energy, or that use magic, can cross through. And some ships made it through before I formed the shield.”

“Don’t be sorry, IB. Your light shield is playing a huge role in keeping WW from being overrun,” Saturn Girl said kindly. “What we need to focus on is controlling the number of ghouls that actually reach orbit.”

“Let’s look at a list of all the people we have,” Kid Prime suggested. “We may have missed some useful powers who can aid us.”

“I’m looking at the list compiled by Legion Reference File Lad and Portfolio Boy. Give me a second and I’ll “upload” to the link,” Spellbinder said.

“Wait, before you do that, Spellbinder,” came a new voice, “please link to my mind. I have many more names for your list. I'm Hugh Taylor, by the way.”

“This is remarkably thorough,” Helena Handbasket said approvingly as she "scanned" the combined list. Like Rockhopper Lad and Hugh Taylor, her thoughts were fainter due to their distance – but they were growing stronger by the second. “Hmmm… These names are new. How powerful exactly are Nam’lor and the other “Drinking Buddies”? It says here the full extent of their powers is unknown.”

“Very powerful, but they’re busy. Disaster Boy already took them on recon in the outer sector,” Nightcrawler said carelessly. “Maybe Abin can…”

“THEY WHAT?!” Kar-Em, Spellbinder and Kent Shakespeare said in unison. "Are you sure about that, lad?" Kar-Em added. Despite what had just happened with Dev-Em, he was remarkably focused and had politely but firmly told the others to save their sympathies for after the battle.

Nightcrawler seemed taken aback. “What? Disaster Boy asked me if he could go smash some ships on the outer rim. I said to just do a quick count and let us know.”

“How long ago was this?” Kar-Em asked.

“Forty… minutes… uh-oh.”

“The Drinking Buddies are old friends of Power Boy’s,” IB explained helpfully to Rocky and Helena. “But they fight best when drunk, and Disaster Boy told me he has some trouble getting them to listen.” IB addressed Nightcrawler now. “Can you remember where you pointed them? Maybe I can….NO!”

The other members of the telepathic circle crouched winced in empathy. IB’s distress was so strong. “Honey, are you okay?” Spellbinder asked urgently. “What happened?”

“Oh grife… Oh grife…” IB Indigo was normally the calmest of all the IBs, but he was on the verge of panic. “Please don’t let it be true… Please… please…”

“I’ll go to your location now, IB. Stay put,” Kid Prime said.

“I’ll meet you there, Kippers,” Nightcrawler said. “Saturn Girl, link me to him so I can get his location.”

“You were supposed to watch over Blaze! Oh grife, Blaze can’t be…oh grife oh grife oh grife… I’m sorry everyone, I have to go.” IB abruptly winked out of the network.

“His mind is moving too fast. I can’t get a fix,” Saturn Girl said quietly.

Kid Prime’s voice, though mechanical, was worried. “I’ve never seen him so distraught.”

Spellbinder’s tone was mournful. “I’ve never felt him so distraught either.”

#119717 07/20/12 05:43 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Three days from Weber's World, at the Portal

Andgar, Kinetix, Marvin and Kairos watched IB Green leave. They looked from one to the other as they re-entered the ship. There were still a few random ghouls floating around, and the ships defenses could handle them better if they were all inside.

Marvin spoke first, “anyone else really feels like resting at this point?”

Andgar smiled weakly, “I’ll get the ship ready.”

Kinetix watched him walk away and noticed something. She ran over to him and got in front of him. “Stop for a second Angdar.”

“I’m fine Zoe.. It’s just…ehhhh…” he said with a quick inhalation of breath when she gently placed her hand on the right side of his chest.

She lowered her voice so nobody else could hear, “look, I know for a fact that this armor is form fitting and not just a molded piece to make you look like that. It’s dented in pretty bed in a few spots here.’

Andgar hung his head a little. “I know. But, I have no choice right now. I need to be up and about to pilot this ship back to Weber’s World before IB does something stupid.”

She gently moved her hand up to his face and cupped it to his cheek. “You’re either the most stubborn or bravest man I have ever met…maybe both.”

A grin formed at the corners of his mouth, “that’s a good thing…right?”

She smiled and raised herself on her tiptoes and gave him a little kiss. “A very good thing.”

Marvin and Kairos exchanged a quick glance at what they saw, but said nothing.

Andgar started to get the controls ready for the trip to Weber’s World. He contacted POV and asked him to see if he could find out if Deadman could be ready to guide them back as soon as possible.

A short time later, they were in the final stages of preparation when Kairos said something.

Angdar turned his head, “what was that Kairos?”

“I said, I think there is something out there…I’m picking up a reading…”

Andgar and Kinetisx walked over to the console that she was working at. "Bring it up on the main screen please Kairos."

She did so as quickly as she could. She was feeling really bummed out that she had been knoxcked out before the bomb went off. She was trying her hardest to make up for it.

"I was scanning the area and this energy reading just popped up. It seems to be familiar."

Angdar looked at the main screen, "I know IB checked for any trace of Blaze, or anything before he left. I hope this is something good." After he watched the screen for a few more minutes he turned and headed for the airlock.

"Stop right there." Marvin the Martian said. He raced to catch up with him, Kinetix right beside him.

"You're hurt, and it doesn't take a cute set of eyes to see that," he said glancing over at Kinetix.

"If there is any chance that the energy signature Kairos is picking up is Blaze, he is going to need help. And if by chance they are trying to reopen the portal, well...that kind of speaks for itself."

"Ooooh...you're going to make me very..."

Kinetix put her arm on Marvins shoulder. "It's alright Marvin, he's not going alone. Are you...?"

Andgar looked at her and thought about objecting. "I guess not. We need to hurry though, the energy is starting to attract unwanted attention."

Andgar and Kinetix turned and continued into the airlock. "Marvin, please man the weapons station. We're going to need all the cover you can give us."

"Alright then. I can do that."

They turned and stared out the airlock as it slowly opened. In front of them was a glowing orb that was growing. Between them and the orb were over a dozen ghouls.

Kinetix reached over and squeezed his hand. He smiled a little and then jumped from the ship with his sword ready. Kinetix could see that he was screaming some sort of war cry. She grinned and looked at the short sword he had given her and screamed something herself and jumped into the fray.

#119718 07/20/12 05:50 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Weber's World

Seven lights of various colors streaked through the darkness of space. The seven merged into one violently, creating a large sphere of bright white light. The defenders all around had to shield their eyes from the glare, while the ghouls in the immediate area were swallowed up, as dirt is washed away by water.

A reformed Invisible Braniac stood in the middle of the glow. His mind was in turmoil. Part of him was angry at himself and at the Dark Army. Part of him was afraid of how he would survive Blaze’s loss. Part of him kept asking how he could have prevented this. Part of him cried out for poor Blaze, lost on his first involvement with the LMB. And his whole being felt the grief stabbing into him.

The Dark Army had to pay. The Dark Army had to be stopped before more people got hurt. He couldn’t allow any more of his friends to fall.

He gritted his teeth as waves of exhaustion washed over him. He had used so much power already. But he had to push himself more. He took aim and unleashed powerful blasts of light at the ghouls he saw. A dragon screamed as a laser pierced its chest. A large werewolf was decapitated by another blast. A third blast burned a woman with bat wings and no legs.

The ghouls and ships around began to notice the threat. Hordes of hideous creatures began to swarm at him.

“Do your worst to me! You can’t possibly hurt me any worse!” IB screamed as he unleashed all his power in wider and wider arcs. But no matter how bright he glowed, no matter how many how many ghouls he destroyed, he couldn’t dim his own pain.

Saturn Girl’s telepathic warning was calm but hurried. “Everyone not immune to light, please clear space quadrant 4-D. I repeat, everyone not immune to light, please clear space quadrant 4-D.”

Spelling Bee frowned as her bees blew up a disembodied head. She turned to look at the quadrant in question. She saw Blacula leading over two dozen LMBers and allies away, while hordes of ghouls were heading towards it.

She launched herself at Blacula. “Hey, hey! What’s with the light show? Is IB trying something new?”

“If it is, it’s pretty dangerous. I was there when the light began to flare up, and I could barely see to find my way out. It’s destroying a lot of ghouls, though.”

Spelling Bee was about to reply when a hand tapped her shoulder. Startled, she spun to find Nightcrawler and her old rival Sara, now Danger Damsel. “We need you to go talk to IB,” Nightcrawler said crisply. “He’s raging against the Dark Army now. He’s doing a lot of damage, but we need to calm him down before he hurts the rest of us, or burns himself out.”

The normally quirky Spelling Bee fell silent. “I… okay. Let’s go.”

Nightcrawler waved to Blacula. “Keep leading them away, then get those still able to battle to the quadrant A-1. All the ghouls in quadrants C and D are focusing on IB.”

With that, Nightcrawler teleported himself and the girls away.

#119719 07/21/12 01:50 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Three days from Weber's World, at the Portal

Andgar sliced through another ghoul. He glanced around and found Kinetix behind him defending herself. The trouble was, she didn’t see the ghoul coming at her from below.

Oh…no way you sprockin piece of. Trash, He thought as he changed his direction and knocked the ghoul off course seconds before it hit her.

“Thanks Ang.” Kinetix thought over their connection through Pov.

“Angdar, move to your left a little.” Marvin’s voice said in his head.

He dodged left and swore he felt the heat of the ships guns as they went by him, blasting two ghouls into pieces.

“Zoe. We have to get to that orb of energy now.”

She nodded and they plowed their way through the ghouls without really taking the time to dispatch them. They left that to Marvin, as he now had a clear shot at them. He did have to be very careful to avoid hitting them though if a blast missed.

The power levels are growing Angdar,” Kairos chimed in. You two be careful out there. That thing could be a trap.”

They approached the orb. The ghould were staying back a safe distance from it, but were starting to filll in a perfect orb around them, despite Marvins attempts to obliterate them as fast as he could.

Kinetix looked at the orb of energy, and lifted her good arm. The one with the sword Angdar had given her.

Angdar saw what she was doing and held his hand up.

She shot him a look and put her arm down. “You have a better idea? This thing looks like it’s pulsing…like something is trying to get out.” She thought to him.

“I agree,” he thought as he floated around it. “The thing is, I’m not sure if we should…”

He grabbed her and wrapped his wings around her for what little protection they would offer as he sliced at the orb with his sword, just hitting the outer edge of energy.

They went tumbling towards the ever growing mass of ghouls.

Kinetix was able to slow them enough for Angdar to arc just out of the ghouls reach.

She looked at him, and his eyes said the same thing hers did. ‘That was too close.’

Kinetix still held on to Angdar, her arms around his neck, as they swung around to see what his actions had done.

Where the orb once was, was now Blaze, floating in space. He was giving off a tremendous amount of energy, The ghouls, for their part, were still keeping a safe distance.

Blaze turned his head to them and grinned. “That was weird. It kinda tickled,” he said as he was regaining his bearuings.

Andgar and Kinetix looked at each other and Amgdar mouthed the word ‘tickled’ to her with an honestly puzzled look on his face.

Kairos broke the silence thanks to Pov’s link. “Guys, we better get out of here. All that activity has started drawing a few more of those bigger ghouls back this way. We need to move now,.”

Angdar wrapped his arm around Kinetix waist and they headed towards Blaze. “Can you clear us a path that way?” Angdar asked and pointed with his sword towards where the ship was on the other side of the ghouls.

Blaze Smiled and nodded. His eyes were wide and almost crackling with energy. “Let’s go.”

After a quick one sided battle, the three of them landed in the ships airlock. As the doors shut Kinetix jumped and gave Blaze a hug.

“So happy you’re okay!”

“Me too,” Blaze said. “Where’s IB?”

Angdar grabbed his shoulder on the way past and turned him as he walked by. Blaze followed along. “Invisible Brainiac has headed back to Weber’s World without us. He searched for you after the bomb went off, but there was no trace. He didn’t…handle that well.”

“Oh no. We have to get to him. Can Pov connect us through to him?”

Marvins voice came over the ships speakers. “Everyone to their posts, we are ready to leave.”

AS they finished getting into position, Kairos spoke, “Pov cannot link to him. He’s moving too fast to be contacted. Not even those on Weber’s World can get in touch with him.”

“We need to hurry…”

Angdar nodded. “We will be going as fast as possible.”

And with that, they all shut their wyws for the journey back to Weber’s World.

#119720 07/21/12 10:13 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Approaching Weber's World

Infra-Red Lass knocked on Rockhopper Lad's door. She held a large box in her hands.

“Hello, Infra,” Rocky said as he poked his head out. “What can I do for you?”

Infra looked down. She had the same beautiful features as Rocky's old LMB friend, Caliente. “Rocky, I know you asked not to be disturbed. I know you've been meditating or whatever, but I want you to have this. It was Blaine's”

Rocky took the box and opened it. It was a black cowboy hat that had onced belonged to Openly Gay Lad, his long-deceased first love. “Infra! I don't know what to say! I know how close you and Blaine were.”

She nodded. “I think he would want you to have it, Rocky. He wore this when he and I used to go out to do old-Earth style country dancing. It's the only of his belongings any of us has left.”

Rocky put on the hat. It crushed his crest-feathers a bit, but once those downy feathers were compacted, it was a decent fit.

“Thank you, Infra!” He gave her a little peck on the cheek.

Just then they were all called to the bridge. Helena Handbasket's voice came over Rocky' Omnicom: “Rocky, we are almost to Weber's World. We need you now!” A few minutes later, he stood there, silent. Rocky had not uttered a word since had thanked Infra. Rockhopper Lass stood next to her “brother”, but she didn't dare speak. She knew he was preparing himself for what was to come.

All hands really were on deck. Every LMBer, SMBer and ally who was on board were standing by, ready for the battle to come. The only exceptions were Time-Teller Lad, still recovering from his injuries on Earth-4 who, no longer confined to sickbay, was now resting in his quarters with Hyvvie the Wonder Beagle caring for him.

Infra, Helena, Shark Lad, Timber Wolf, Super-Dense Kid and several other SMBers stood around the silent Pyngwyn Prince.

Their ship was leading the approach to Weber's World, along with most of the Pyngwyn Fleet from Rockhopper Lad's own Pyngwyn Colonies. The LMBers had been referring to them as the cavalry. Rocky was hoping that would be true. He touched his hat, remember the stories of ancient Earth and the European settlement of western North America. The viewscreens showed the scenes of the planet below and the various battles happening all over and above it.

Rocky turned to address all who were on the bridge. “My friends, this is our time. Our colleagues are fighting the evil forces with unspeakable courage, but they need our aid. We must be worthy of the trust they have given us and apprehend the vile miscreants.”

“That's the polite way of saying 'sprock the bastards',” Shark Lad cried.

“Indeed, my friend,” Rocky smiled, nodding. “As you like. Helena, activate the holographic imager.”

“Yes, sir,” Helena replied and pressed a series of buttons.
An image of the cowboy-hatted Rockhopper Lad nearly the size of the besieged Weber's World itself appeared and addressed the world below, broadcasting on every frequency available:

“This is Rockhopper Lad, Leader of the Legion of Message Board Posters and Crown Prince of the Pyngwyn Colonies. In the name of the United Planets, I order all who oppose Legion and the UP to stand down immediately, else face the consequences!”

Turning to Super-Dense Kid, now at a weapons station, Rocky solemnly spoke, "Ready to fire on my mark. Now!"

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#119721 07/22/12 06:03 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Weber's World

"Let's get this mothersprocking party ON!" Shark Lad yelled as he led the charge. Those in Rockhopper Lad's group who had been assigned to space began to pour out of the ships carrying them.

They had impatiently been waiting for this moment.

Shark Lad roared as he crashed into a large werewolf. He grinned as he pulled its arm off and used it to pound its head. "See that, fluffy? I could do that to you if I wanted to." Earth-4's Shark Lad chuckled. "Looks like fins beat fur this time."

Timberwolf rolled his eyes as he scanned the area. Selecting his target, he pounced and ripped the fin off a big space-shark. "Same here, you little sardine. This thing is much bigger than you."

"That so? Well, take a look at THIS. INYUKCHUK!" As he grew to gigantic proportions, Shark Lad began swatting at ghouls left and right.

"Hmph, show-off..." Timber Wolf muttered as he pounced on another ghoul.

"Hey, guys... What the heck is that?" Earth-4's Shark Lad asked as he shielded his eyes. A large burst of light was steadily growing in the distance.

Timber Wolf squinted. "Only ones I know with light powers are Kalla and IB... but neither of them is that powerful."

Abin Quank and Jerry were fighting back to back, a ring of ghouls around them. "Hey, you guys maybe wanna join the party over at IB's side of space? I hear he has party favors for all of you," Abin quipped.

"Not funny, Abin. IB's really hurting right now," Jerry said quietly. "Let's just get rid of these so we can go help him."

"Sorry, Jerry. These battles have been getting to me," Abin sighed. "I'm tired, I'm hungry and I haven't had a nap in forever."

"You better keep fighting or else we'll be napping forever," came a grumpy voice as a disk materialized in front of them. A burst of energy took the head off a skeleton, while another was frozen in a block of ice.

"Outdoor Miner! Just in time. But aren't you supposed to be on Legion World?" Abin asked.

"No, Abin, that's not our OM. You must be the Earth-4 OM, correct? Rocky's group must be here. I recognize you, Rockhopper Lass," Jerry said with a smile. "And Infra Red Lass, I presume?" Extending his Durlan form, Jerry shook hands with all three of the new arrivals simultaneously.

Abin followed suit. "Well, pick a dance partner and let's go. And now that you're here, if you don't mind, I'd like to go for a bathroom break!"

Earth-4's Beagle Boy grinned as he zipped through the streets. His Earth-1 counterpart was running in front of him, though he looked distracted AND tired. The fresher, more well-rested Earth-4 Beagz quickly cut up to his counterpart. "Hey, you handsome devil you!"

The Earth-1 Beagz turned and grinned, though it was a weak grin. Maybe he was just tired. His eyes showed it. Both Beagle Boys slowed to a stop. "About time you got here," the Earth-1 Beagle Boy said. "How many of you are there?"

As he spoke, a small army of ghouls began thundering down the streets of Weber's World. Both Beagle Boys turned to face them, when a loud scream pierced the stillness. A wave of sonics, courtesy of the young rebel Hummingbird, shook a group of skeletons to to dust. Hummingbird crossed her arms in satisfaction.

Beside her, Portfolio Girl opened her briefcase. "I choose... all of you!" she said as her army of monsters surged forward. A large dragon with its tail on fire slammed a zombie unicorn into the ground. A giant tortoise shot a jet of water at a large rock golem, wearing it down. Another that looked like a frog with a giant flower on its back grabbed a hellhound its vines and ripped it apart. And a small yellow rodent looked cutely at an advancing ape before electrocuting it with a burst of lightning.

"I'd say there are enough of us," the Earth-4 Beagle Boy smiled. "Let's go and... whoa!"

Everyone shielded their eyes as a burst of light washed over the planet. "What the sprock was that?" Hummingbird asked as she shifted into fighting stance.

The Earth-1 Beagle Boy was silent for a minute. Then he spoke softly. "That was our Invisible Brainiac. And he's not doing alright."

"Oh Rocky! It's so good to hear you again," Saturn Girl smiled as she hugged Rockhopper Lad. "Having you back is a good boost for everyone. I've asked the injured and the tired from our forces to rest up while your forces fill in the gaps. Grife, but we've been digging in and we're all exhausted."

"You've done a wonderful job, Saturn Girl. From all I hear, you've been holding your own. Now maybe you should take your own advice and rest. Saturn Guy can take over for you for now," Rocky said kindly as Saturn Girl's Earth-4 counterpart stepped forward.

"Thanks," Saturn Girl smiled back. "Just give me a few moments. I have a few more messages to send." She quickly telepathed - "Icefyre, when I said rest that includes you! Shady, please bring your new arrivals over to Mattropolis' position, then head over to Kid Prime. Sketch Lad, I've asked Hugh Taylor to touch base with you."

She plopped back down and wiped her forehead. "Over to you, SG." Saturn Guy closed his eyes and assumed command. He popped open his eyes again in surprise. "I'm amazed! How long have you been holding this network in place? How can you still function?"

Saturn Girl grinned weakly as she leaned back. "It wasn't easy, but it had to be done. Now Rocky..."

"It's about IB, isn't it?" Rocky asked. "I felt his pain too. How is he?"

"Nightcrawler took a small team to try to talk him down. I haven't been able to reach the others who went to the portal with him, so I don't know how they're doing."

Rocky stroked his chin thoughtfully. "Saturn Guy, please monitor the situation, then let me know if I have to step in. For now, I will have to touch base with Spellbinder." As he finished speaking, a large burst of light flared up in the distance, then dimmed again.

Monkey Eater Lad stopped what he was doing and stared out the window. "Wow. Is that the Earth-1 IB? He's immensely powerful. I wonder if our IB would have grown that much."

Atypical Lass shook her head as she readied her gear. "I'm sure he would have been. He was an amazing kid. I just hope this one gets to live to a much riper old age than ours did..."

Nightcrawler, Spelling Bee and Danger Damsel shielded their eyes as soon as they popped back from their teleport. Even with their inertron-tinted goggles on, the glare was blinding.

The area was clear of all allies by now.

"I've never seem him throw off so much power," Spelling Bee whispered.

"None of us have," Kid Prime boomed from behind. He had moved his massive form over to help shield Weber's World from the immense glare of light. Beside him stood Shadowplay in Candlelight Lass, another LMB founder. She shook her head softly. "His pain is so intense. I wish I could get closer to boost his morale, but he's throwing off so much energy."

"You mean, Spelling Bee and I are going in alone?" frowned Danger Damsel.

"It took a lot of gadgetry from Reboot," Nightcrawler said. "As it is, we only had enough time and resources to outfit you two. Candle can work from a distance, but you two need to talk IB down enough for her powers to work."

Danger Damsel rolled her eyes. A big mission like this, and she had to go in with Spelling Bee. "Are you sure this will work? We two aren't exactly his favorite people at the moment. And I'm hardly his biggest fan, too."

Nightcrawler fixed them with his hardest stare. "Sara, maybe you don't know, but IB does think highly of you. Your breakup meant the loss of a very good friend for him. Maybe it wasn't romantic love, but it was still a very powerful feeling. And you..."

He turned to face Spelling Bee, who looked hopeful. "Yes? Did he say anything about me?" she asked, twirling her hair. "He said he had very strong feelings for you too," Nightcrawler said truthfully, without revealing what those feelings were. "We're hoping you can help shock him into his senses. Now, as soon as you get him to power down, I'll step in with Candlelight. IB's a strong kid, but if Blaze really is dead, he's going to need all the help he can get to move past that fast."

Spelling Bee and Danger Damsel both nodded, then looked at each other. Spelling Bee set her brow. "IB's mine, so don't hurt him, Sara," she said with a sneer.

"You can have him. I just want to survive," Sara replied. The two girls jumped off, flying into the glare.

#119722 07/22/12 10:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Weber's World

Invisible Brainiac grit his teeth as he incinerated a gryphon. A tall man with a cigar in its mouth fell as he blasted through its chest. He was starting to tire; none of his selves had had any rest since the battle of Weber's World had started. But he kept drinking in enormous amounts of light energy and unleashing them on nearby ghouls. They were changing tactics, though, trying to rush him and wear him down.

A large compact giant made of rock came rushing at him, blocking his laser with its frame. It was durable, but it still had to see. IB focused a burst of light in its face. It rubbed its eyes, leaving its torso undefended. IB quickly grabbed a grenade courtesy of Marvin from his pocket, attached it to a knife, and hurled it at the giant's midsection. It vanished in an explosion.

As he regained his bearings, a sharp spear flew past his shoulder. He turned to see the giant had likely been a distraction, as a dozen armed knights on horses charged at him. IB quickly formed a dozen knives made of light and hurled them in a wide arc. The lead knights quickly fell. IB charged the remaining ones with a quarterstaff made of light, impaling and beheading left and right. Four, five, six. Too slow for him. Wait, there were two more...

"Shouldn't you be watching your back, considering you're alone?" IB turned to see Danger Damsel shooting the horseman as it came at him from above. Below him, Spelling Bee's bees destroyed the last horseman. "Or your above and below. Maybe you could use some company."

"Thanks," IB said as he spun around to blast another ghoul. "But you should get out of here. The Dark Army is beginning to swarm at us. Duck!" he yelled as lasers flew at them. Danger Damsel deflected a few with her swords, while Spelling Bee cried "S-H-I-E-L-D!" to get her bees to protect her. IB hesitated. He hated the Dark Army, but he still wouldn't kill any living soldiers. He settled for blasting the ship's weapons systems and propulsion, then sent it flying away with a hard light wall.

"Stubborn as ever," Danger Damsel said darkly. "You don't think you need help?"

"I can weaken the Dark Army enough to make it easier for the rest of you," IB said stonily. "No sense for anyone else to have to die."

"IB... please..." Spelling Bee came closer and reached her hand out. "It wasn't your fault that Blaze..."

"It was!" IB cried out as he unleashed another blast. "My grife, it was! I've always been afraid to use my full powers. But if I had, I could have reached him. I could have saved him just as he saved all of us!" Tears were running down his face now, but dared not close his eyes.

"And what will you do? Destroy everything? Calm down and look at that ship you blasted," Danger Damsel said evenly as she pointed with her sword. IB turned to follow, and gasped. Still bodies were floating out of the ship. "No, I was careful..." He quickly flew out and examined them, then relaxed. Skeletons. They were already dead to begin with.

He flew back. "What are you playing at, Sara? They weren't alive."

Danger Damsel shook her head. "You're missing the point. You didn't destroy the ship because you thought it might contain live enemy soldiers. But if it had, they would still have died because you were careless. And that would have destroyed you. I know you too well."

"Then I'll be more careful, although these scum don't necessarily deserve it," IB said, his jaw set.

"Your stubborn streak is showing again," Spelling Bee whispered. "IB, please. Just come on in and rest. Let's talk about this."

"Enough talk. If we hadn't been talking so much, Blaze wouldn't be dead and the portal would have been closed much earlier. Now we're being overrun. I'm going to scour another space quadrant," IB said, turning his back and preparing to fly.

He heard Sara sigh behind him, the same sigh she'd used whenever they had argued while they were still together. He paid her no heed as he scanned space all around. Where was the fighting thickest?

If he had been concentrating, he might have heard Spelling Bee scream out his name in warning as she rushed forward to wrestle Danger Damsel's sword. He might have heard Danger Damsel's movements as she swung the sword before it hit his back.

But he did hear his own scream of pain as everything went black.

#119723 07/22/12 10:43 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Weber's World

Spellbinder's face was grave as she looked at CJ Taylor. The young LMBer was sitting forlornly; recent events had left him quite tired. Raging Bull slapped him on the back. "Cheer up pardner. Them's the breaks in a war; you can never tell who'll survive."

Hrun the Barbarian emerged from the doctor's room, his light cuts bandaged up. "Dev-Em and all my men who died were great losses, but we must not let their deaths sap our morale. We can mourn them later. For now, let's make sure we are all still left alive to mourn!" Raging Bull grinned and gave Hrun a high-five. "Exactly what I was telling CJ here. Hey, I know where the fighting's fiercest right now. Y'all wanna join me?"

"You do not have to ask twice, my friend! Hrun is always ready!"

Rickshaw cocked his rifle and spat. Thankfully, he aimed for the wastebasket this time. His scolding from, Kent Shakespeare, Dr. Gym'll and Nurse Tina had left quite a bad taste in his mouth. "Let's go git these mothersprocking zombies on this mothersprocking planet."

The three LMBers hefted their weapons and headed for the door.

"You go on ahead, gentlemen," Spellbinder said. She turned to look at CJ, who shrank a little. Then he straightened his back and looked at her levelly.

"I'm sorry, Princess. I was part of Cobalt Kid's plan from the beginning. And it cost us Dev-Em."

Spellbinder closed her eyes. She should have known. She'd have to share this information with the rest of the LMB leadership, but that could wait until later. They needed to calm Invisible Brainiac down first, and they also needed to figure out why Dev-Em had suddenly reanimated. "CJ, I am not angry at you. I'm sure you all believed it was necessary." Her tone clearly indicated she was quite angry at Cobalt Kid. "Please don't tell anyone about this first. We don't want to mess up our allies' morale. Now rest; we'll need every warm body for the fight ahead."

CJ nodded; though he'd been through a lot, he was willing to fight again. Spellbinder left him and walked into the next room. Kent Shakespeare and Reboot were standing over the remains of Dev-Em and of Tomar-Tu, both valiant heroes who had sadly fallen to the Dark Army. None of them were happy to have to examine the dead bodies of their comrades, but they had to find out why Dev-Em had come to life.

"Rocky is asking if we have any news, boys."

Another burst of light made herself and Kent close their eyes. Reboot, as always well-prepared, gave a half-grin which quickly turned into a frown. "Perhaps I should be the one to talk some sense into IB. He usually does listen to reason."

Spellbinder winced. Although Reboot was one of the most sensible LMBers, and he and IB did get along well, he needed sympathy now and not logic. She changed the subject. "Did you find anything? We've lost some powerful allies, and we can't afford to have any reanimate and turn against us."

"The only thing we've found out of the ordinary so far is this dark substance. Even after controlling for differences in Daxamite, Durlan and Xudarian physiology, I mean." Reboot held up a jar containing a black goo. It seemed to pulse and throb.

"It looks like... it's trying to get out," Spellbinder said.

"It probably is," Kent said. "Near as we can tell, it's alive somehow. It also matches the description IB, DB and Marvin gave of the black cloud, the "Dream-Eater", that they faced near the Brood homeworld. One thing we can't be sure of, though, is where this thing contaminated Dev-Em, and whether it may have contaminated anyone else."

All three of them paused at that. The implications were enormous. "Is there anyone else I can call?" Spellbinder asked. "What should we do next?"

Reboot shook his head. "At this point, I'd recommend sealing the lab and..." He paused as a tinkling sound filled the room. "It's coming from the bottle!" Kent shouted.

Before they could react, the bottle fell over the edge of the table it was on. The glass shattered, and the blob inside quickly bounced around and entered Tomar-Tu's remains. The three LMBers stared in shock as Tomar-Tu's limbs shook and he slowly stood up. Soulless eyes stared out at them as he raised his sword and swung.

"Spellbinder, get down!" Kent yelled as he threw himself at her. The two LMBers fell to the floor just inches below the sword's arc.

"What's going on in here?!" CJ Taylor yelled as he opened the door.

"CJ, get out of here!" Spellbinder yelled as Tomar-Tu turned to face CJ. CJ gulped as Tomar-Tu raised his staff and prepared to fire. Spellbinder desperately reached out with her telekinesis and threw a chair at him. She had to concentrate...

"E-sprocking-nough!" Reboot yelled as Glitch, his sentient keytool, formed itself into what looked like a flashlight. He aimed it at Tomar-Tu and fired. CJ took the hint and dove to the side as a powerful blast of light illuminated Tomar-Tu.

Spellbinder pulled herself up as Tomar-Tu's body slumped to the ground. A black smoke wafted from his body; it smelled exactly the same as the blob they had kept in the jar.

Kent and Reboot looked at each other. "I think we've figured out what the Dream-Eater does to its victims," Kent said.

Spellbinder opened her mind and reached out to the others. "I think we know what reanimated Dev-Em. We need to get IB back."

There was silence, and then Nightcrawler responded with hesitation. "I... I'm not sure if that's still possible."

#119724 07/22/12 06:24 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Weber's World

Gear floated in space. The ghouls were moving all about and his targeting system was in full effect. Each shot took one down. He wasted no time, took no unnecessary shots. Efficiency was his goal.

He adjusted his boot thrusters and started to move. He sniped a ghoul that was about to attack someone that he didn’t know. He didn’t know a lot of people here. He was glad about that. The less people he saw that he recognized, even counterparts to his own universe, the better. He had lost enough friends already, and if he didn’t know someone, he would not mourn them as hard. Every death he saw affected him, but some hurt worse than others.

He was moving through the heart of the battle. Firing faster and faster. The ghouls never seemed to stop coming at them. There were so many of them. He hoped that someone had a plan, because at this rate, they were going to be overrun pretty soon.

“Things are starting to heat up here young man,” a voice behind him said. Gears head cocked to one side. Oh grief…it can’t be, he thought as he turned to see who had spoken to him.

Kar Em was floating behind him and fired a blast of heat vision past his head as he turned. “Sorry about that son, but you had one coming up from behind.”

Gears face was covered by a full face mask, which kept the shock on his face from showing as he saw his other universe Grandfather in front of him.

“Uh…ummm…no problem sir.”

“Are you alright?”

“Ummm…yes sir. You just reminded me of someone I used to know. I’m sorry, I’m alright now,” he said with a little shake of his head.

Kar Em looked at him and smiled. “Alright then, I guess I must have that kind of face.”

Gear was glad that he had bought that line. Telling him the truth was too much right now. The hoped that if Kar Em was here, maybe Dev Em was around as well. He wasn’t sure how he would react to seeing a heroic version of his father at this time.

“Sorry about that again,” he said as he shot three ghouls in succession.

He turned to go on his way, but Kar Em stopped him by gently grabbing his shoulder. “Jon. you should have disguised your voice as well boy.”

Hear turned back towards him and lowered the face plate. “I’m sorry…Grandpa,” he said and started to cry.

“It’s alright Jon,” he said looking at Gears face for the first time. :”I take it I’m not around where you come from?”

“No…”

“Well, I’m here. So are you. Let’s make sure we make it through this in one piece.”

“Let’s.”

They turned and started fighting again.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#119725 07/22/12 08:50 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
The Poltergeist Area

Blaze was on the edge of his seat. Well, not literally; he was levitating inside Angdar's ship as it soared through the Area. He was still giving off plenty of excess heat energy which he hadn't had time to safely release before they left.

"How are you doing, Blaze?" Marvin asked from the co-pilot's chair.

"Great, actually. Whatever happened to me in there restored my powers completely AND brought me back to the level of control I had before the explosion. I think I have better control now, even," Blaze said as he strengthened the fiery shield around the ship.

"Great," said Dedman. "With you, Kinetix and Kairos, we can navigate perfectly well even without IB." He gestured to the cockpit, which Kinetix had managed to cover with Nth metal. Angdar and Marvin were steering via mental link again.

"I am concerned, though," Poverty Lad said quietly. He'd examined Blaze with all of his vision powers and had found nothing out of the ordinary, except for some microscopic black spots on his costume. "Are you sure you feel alright? We'd better get Kent or Dr. Gym'll to look at you ASAP."

"I'm fine, Pov, thanks," Blaze said determinedly. "I'll go AFTER IB is fine."

Pov shook his head. "Young love. Makes people stubborn," he breathed.

Kinetix leaned over to Blaze and whispered, "I know I'm fine except for my burned arm, but are you sure you're fine? You look a bit paler than you did before..."

"And you're shivering," Kairos pointed out. "We noticed."

Blaze gave an involuntary shiver, then frowned. "I'm fine, thanks. I'll be better as soon as we see IB."

"You don't have to prove anything," Kairos insisted. "I mean, I got knocked out right away and didn't do anything. You detonated the bomb."

"And that's why poor IB's all alone right now," Blaze pointed out. Kinetix and Kairos both sat back, defeated.

"We're almost there," Dedman said. "Kinetix, we're out in 3... 2... 1..."

At the count of 1, Kinetix removed the Nth metal covering the cockpit - and the team saw a large dragon coming at them.

"Evade!" Angdar cried as he steered the ship sharply. He grunted in pain from the sudden movement, though none but Kinetix noticed. "I can't get a clear shot," Marvin yelled. "Someone?"

"On it!" Kairos' stasis field erupted, keeping the dragon in place, it's mouth open in an ugly snarl. Angdar brought the ship around and Marvin fired, taking its wings off. Blaze followed with a burst of heat, reducing the dragon to dust.

"Great, we're here. Now let's go get IB," Blaze said firmly.

"No way," Kinetix said. "Look, I know he's probably in pain now, but I think we need to get to medical attention first." She placed an arm on Angdar's shoulder.

"It's okay, Kinetix," Angdar smiled back. "I feel partly responsible for IB running off. I'll go with Blaze. We can drop the rest of you off first."

"No way I'm going to let you go alone," Kinetix said firmly.

"Let's just all go then," Blaze said impatiently. "Now, where can we find out where IB is?"

"Already found," Pov said carefully. "I've gotten in touch with Saturn Girl. It seems that our allies led by Rockhopper Lad have arrived. And IB is in Space Quadrant 4-D."

"That's a pretty big space," Marvin said. "Can she be more specific?"

"Er... I don't think she needs to be," Angdar said as a burst of light erupted in the distance. Everyone shielded their eyes at the intensity. "That must be IB. Only he is anywhere near that powerful."

Then, just as suddenly, the light winked out. The abruptness left everyone reeling.

"IB?" Blaze's voice was tinged with fear.

"Let's go," Angdar said as he changed the ship's course.

#119726 07/22/12 10:35 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Weber's World

"Oh... Blaze... stop biting... careful with your teeth..."

"I am not Blaze, IB. It is time for you to wake up."

IB slowly came to as he rubbed his head and his side. He couldn't decide which one hurt worse.

Spelling Bee bent over him in concern. "Are you okay?" She turned to Danger Damsel. "Grife, I thought you were going to kill him!"

Danger Damsel crossed her arms and fixed her with a "you have got to be kidding" look. "I'm not following him around like a lovesick puppy, but I don't hate him either. Besides, we still need him to win this war. I just kept him from doing anything more stupid."

IB turned to face the two girls. "Look, I appreciate the concern, but I have to go out there. I can't... I can't let Blaze's death be in vain. It's all my fault."

Sara rolled her eyes, then grabbed IB by the collar. "Okay, I've had enough. Now that you're not bursting with light, you listen to me. Your blitzkrieg already cleared Space Sectors C and D of all enemies, so you can relax."

With a shove, she pushed IB back, then continued. "It was Blaze's choice to play his part in the plan. He's older than you, for grife's sake. He knew what he was doing. And he needed to do it, otherwise the portal wouldn't be closed and we would probably already have lost."

IB stared at her open-mouthed, like he was seeing her for the first time.

Sara continued. "Now, I get that you want to beat the Dark Army. But you go off burning yourself out and you won't be any good to us anymore. Sure, you've taken out a large portion of their forces, but we don't know exactly how many more of them there are. We need you at the command center, sharing what you know with the other leaders. Going off out here, on your own, oin your emotional state, is going to get you and others killed. You want to not waste Blaze's sacrifice, then don't let yourself die needlessly! Right, Spelling Bee?"

Spelling Bee's mouth was open too, but she closed it and composed herself. "She's right, IB. How would Blaze feel if you died without really gaining anything? At least keep yourself alive long enough to see things through to the end."

"I... I... I don't want to die," IB said softly. "I don't. I don't know how I'll live without Blaze, but I don't want to die unless I need to..." He clutched his chest and crouched down, scrubbing at his tears. "Grife, I just... I just loved him so much. I'm sorry, Sara, Bee, I... it's true, I've never ever felt that way about anyone else, even you... I'm sorry I have to tell you this. I... I was so scared when Blaze was about to jump into the portal. If I really loved him, I should have saved him, I should have... I couldn't let anyone else die if I had the power to stop it..."

He couldn't speak anymore between his sobs. He crouched down into a little ball, head on his forearms, arms on his knees.

Spelling Bee closed her eyes. She knew IB loved Blaze, but she never knew how much. Grife, she could never compete with that. She had never seen the normally cool and cavalier IB like this, ever.

Sara closed her eyes as well. "I know. The way you looked at him... You never quite looked at me like that. If it makes you feel any better, I don't think I ever loved you like that, either."

IB kept sobbing. "I just thought that if I could win the war myself... I could make it up to him somehow. I... I... didn't want anyone else to die..."

"Nobody can do that, IB. Nobody can," Spelling Bee said softly. "Look, the others are coming now."

Nightcrawler, Candlelight and a gigantic Kid Prime floated over to them. Candle quickly pulled IB up and patted him on the back. "It's okay, honey. It's okay." Nightcrawler awkwardly patted IB's shoulder too, while Kid Prime stood behind them solemnly. "Are you well, IB?"

IB forced a smile through his tears. "I'm much better now. Thanks, all. I'm so sorry. I feel so stupid. I guess I can't call myself Invisible Brainiac anymore, huh?"

Nightcrawler smiled at the joke. IB would be alright. "Let's get you back to Rocky and the others. There's a lot we have to talk about."

IB closed his eyes and snuggled on Candlelight's shoulder. He was exhausted. "Let him sleep," Candle said gently.

As they turned to leave, a ship slowed down in front of them. Danger Damsel and Kid Prime readied themselves for battle, when Poverty Lad phased out of the ship and rushed to them. "Oh grife! IB! Is he okay?"

"He'll be fine, thank grife," Nightcrawler said. "Can you bring us to Rocky's ship? I'll point the way."

"No, you don't understand," Pov said as his companions began filing out. "It's Blaze, he..."

"Oh IB! My little baby, what happened to you?"

Nightcrawler, Danger Damsel and the others stared in shock as Kinetix and Angdar parted. Blaze flew between them towards them. He quickly rushed to the sleeping IB and caressed the back of his head. "Oh, I'm so sorry baby. I made you feel so sad..."

IB's eyes fluttered open, weakly. "Nighty, where am I? I had the most wonderful dream where I smelled Blaze again..." He paused as recognition set in. "Blaze? B-b-baby, is that you? OH, THANK GRIFE!"

Blaze barely had time to nod before IB jumped forward and held him tight. "Oh my gosh, you're back! You're back! I was so scared. Ohhh my grife, why didn't you wait for me? You should have waited, I could have gone with you and turned you to light and got us both out of there and I told you to wait and..."

Blaze pulled back a little and looked sad. "I'm sorry for worrying you, baby."

IB looked into Blaze's eyes and kissed him forcefully. The two pulled each other tight. None of their audience members averted their eyes; even Spelling Bee and Danger Damsel were touched by the beauty of what they saw.

After a rather long kiss, IB pulled back. "I'm sorry too. What you must have gone through..." He began to tear up again. "To think of you all alone out there..."

"Ssshhh, it's okay. I just felt a mild tickling, and a little cold," Blaze smiled back. "I'm just glad we're together again." The two looked into each other's eyes and began to kiss again.

Marvin coughed tactfully. "Um, both of you look pretty tired, and I think the rest of us are too, so do you want to head to one of the ships first?"

"We could leave you here too," Angdar suggested cheekily. "You did say zero gravity could make for a lot of fun."

IB and Blaze laughed in unison, then turned towards the others. "Thanks, everyone. I mean it. This is the happiest moment of my life so far."

"No kidding," Kairos said. "And it ain't just the glow you have."

"You just sound so... happy," Poverty Lad smiled.

IB reached out his hand, and Blaze held it tight. They began to float back towards the ship. "Let's get out of here."

#119727 07/23/12 08:55 AM
Active
Active
“Can you see her?” asked Lightning Lass, as both she and Lolita tried to look into the distance for some glimpse of Zhiya.

Lolita carefully looked in every crevice or shadow…and saw nothing. “No,” she said at last. “But that doesn’t mean anything. This is Zhiya’s wheelhouse. If she doesn’t want to be seen, she won’t be.”

Ayla simply smiled at the comment. Why, aren’t you two BFF’s all of a sudden? she thought. It was a kind thought. She did not know Lolita that well, and she knew Zhiya hardly any better, but she could tell both of them could use a female friend. “If you’re worried, I’ll cover us here,” added the Winathian SMBer.

“Okay,” said Lolita. She was worried. “I’m going to try to get a better look.”

Up ahead, not too far away, the Lady Daredevil was perched in the perfect position to spy on the man who had brought them: General Belisarius. He was surrounded by other soldiers, coming and going, making reports, taking orders and going about their business. She would have to be very deliberate in timing her strike.

Zhiya took no pleasure in being an assassin. But it was a role she had taken several times during the course of the resistance, and she felt no guilt about it. During wartime tough choices must be made. Her unique skill set allowed her to be one of the few people to carry out those choices.

A small part of her longed for the war to be over. Afterall, wasn’t Earth—their Earth—saved? The euphoria they all felt after accomplishing their mission after so long was an incredible feeling. And yet, so fleeting. Because the job wasn’t finished. The LMB stepped in to help them when it mattered the most, and now it was time to return the favor.

Belisarius was not an evil man. He was abrupt and harsh, but he wasn’t even unkind. At the onset of this war, his intentions were pure and he acknowledged that his duty to the United Planets came first and foremost. But something had happened along the way; something that had lingered in the back of his mind for years burst through to the forefront. Jealousy. Envy. He had waited his whole life to stand tall and make the UP proud…only to have his glory stolen out from underneath him by the damnable Legion once again. It was more than he could take. So long as he simply followed orders and played the role of pawn, he would never get what he so richly deserved. So now he made his own orders, and damn the consequences.

At long last, Zhiya saw an opening. Not a perfect one—since at least a half dozen of the soldiers were still in the room—but the best shot she would get.

As Belisarius carefully gave orders to his soldiers, checked on the status of those under his command, and went about his business, the Loser known as Zhiya leapt from her perch to dive right into the fray. Every step she made was carefully planned, and flowed easily from the last one. She landed on the balls of her toes and with a fluid slice of her arms, took out the legs of one of the soldiers in a carefully planted blow—rendering him unable to walk for a good long while.

She sprung forward and landed a kick into another, knocking all the breath out of him. Doing a cartwheel to regain her footing, she appeared in front of the next soldier in time to chop him across the throat with such force that his eyes rolled into the back of his head and his hands sprang forth to grab his throat as he gasped for air. Three were down in mere seconds.

Belisarius was a true physical specimen and athlete; he was a soldier’s soldier. He made sure he could do everything he asked those under him to do. It was this physical training that allowed his reaction time to kick in, as he understood immediately what was happening. He turned and ran for the door—he was no fool.

Zhiya turned to follow and leapt at two of the soldiers blocking her way. She extended her foot into the solar-plexus of one of them while hacking at the other with a chop across the temple. Both were rendered useless immediately.

Only one now stood between them, as Belisarius ran off in the distance. The soldier had his weapon drawn and was firing. But his hand was shaky from nerves and Zhiya was far too quick. She was on him in seconds, disabling the weapon and knocking him out.

She moved to chase after Belisarius, and suddenly, her legs wobbled. No, she thought. Not now. She put her hand to her stomach, and with horror, pulled it back covered in blood.

The soldier was wobbly—too wobbly. His wild aim actually did the opposite of what usually happens. It let his firearm blast Zhiya in the side. Set on kill, it only scratched across her abdomen, but the burn went through skin and internally. She could bleed out in seconds.

I have a job to do… she thought, and ran after Belisarius.

In the next room, he was waiting. Behind the desk in his makeshift office, he positioned himself to blast her the moment she walked through the door. His eyes opened wide in surprise to see her walk in slowly, obviously injured. A smile opened across his face.

“It looks like the Gods favor me today,” he said with pride, as if he was responsible for the luck. “Still, that was impressive. I only surround myself with the best.”

Zhiya said nothing. She spoke little on the best days and never during battle. She simply pulled her two sais from her belt, and began walked around the room in a circular motion.

“Don’t be a fool, assassin. I’ll blast you apart where you stand. You’ll never survive this day.”

Zhiya said nothing. But her silence spoke volumes and Belisarius eventually understood. She was prepared to die today, if it meant getting one lucky shot in at him. She’d kill them both.

“You dirty witch,” he said now, with true venom in his voice. “I’ll fucking kill you where you stand. You’ll never reach me in time!” he yelled. The two of them now moved in a circular motion, playing cat and mouse. Zhiya was by the back of the room near the desk, as Belisarius got closer to the door. She was cornered in the room.

As he yelled at her, she lost her footing for a moment and stumbled, but regained her composure.

Belisarius smiled. “You’re done,” he said viciously. “The UP can send as many as they want. I’m the General here. I’m the one—“

<span style="font-size: 18px;">BLAM</span>

A small, circular hole, the size of a golfball, appeared in the center of Belisarius chest. Hot smoke billowed off of it. Belisarius looked down in total shock, not understanding. He pointed his firearm at Zhiya, but it fell out of his hands as the strength went out of him. He looked up with fresh tears running down his cheeks. And suddenly, he was gone.

The life sucked out of him, Belisarius body fell to the floor in a crumpled mess. Thump.

Behind him, Lolita stood there with her eyes wide, firearm still smoking and in her hand. It began to shake; slowly at first, and just her hand…and then her whole body began to shake. Tears ran down her face, as she realized what it was she just did.

Zhiya limped over to her friend, speaking at last. “Lolita…?” she said, also in shock. So sweet…almost innocent…but not anymore. “You…?” she began to say, but thought better of it. “Are you alright?” she said at last in a gasp, dropping to her knees by her friend.

Lolita had a unique power in that her computer brain could process immense data. But in this moment, it could not process the events that just occurred. She looked up at Zhiya as if to say something, but could not talk. She simply looked back at her hands. And finally: “he would have killed you.”

“Yes,” said Zhiya firmly. “He would have.”

“I…I had to.”

“Yes. You did. You’ll never know just how many lives have been saved with that action.”

Lolita nodded and began to cry heavily into Zhiya’s shoulder. She recalled the first time she met Belisarius, and how he could not stop staring at her legs. She found it annoying, but not enough to say something about.

“Shh, little one,” said Zhiya, and she rubbed the back of her head lightly. “Let it out. Let it all out.” Zhiya understood this feeling and it hurt her to know Lolita felt it too.

Lolita’s thoughts were all over the place, as if vertigo had taken over. She had been so venomous towards Cobie about the Khunds…about so much that he had done over the last few years. Now, she felt like a total hypocrite.

She’d killed a man. In cold blood.

She rubbed the tears from her eyes and as she did so, she looked at Zhiya’s face to see her friend grimacing in pain. She slowly snapped back to reality. “You’re hurt,” she said, seeing the blood all over her side and hands. “You need a doctor.”

“Yes,” said Zhiya, inhaling deeply. She was fading fast.

Lolita helped her up. “Let’s go,” she said, carrying her back to Lightning Lass.

“We don’t have long now before the soldiers react,” said Zhiya. “They’ll kill us on sight. You need to run Lolita.”

Lolita heard the words but she was going numb now. “No,” she said coldly.

Lolita carried her back to Lightning Lass, one step at a time, as Zhiya inhaled deeply from the pain. Fresh tears formed in Lolita’s eyes and ran down her cheeks as the subdued thump of Belisarius lifeless body played over and over again in her mind.

#119728 07/23/12 03:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Space Near Weber’s World
The Oncoming Horde

The Drinking Buddies were right where they wanted to be. Surrounded by countless enemies and horrors.

“You call THAT a hit?! My Granddam hits harder than that to burp newborn calfs!!!”

Taur-El swung his mighty axe and shattered the front row of skeletons, ghouls, and zombies. The human warriors of the Dark Oval armies had retreated from the savagery.

The powerful Taur-El was at the edge of a small circle of super-humans. Their mission was reconnaissance but, lets face it, none of these people were particularly the ‘reconnaissance’ type. Then they decided to join Disaster Boy on his search and destroy mission of this Titus, a general of the Dark lord’s army, and immensely powerful. They signed up quite quickly and gleefully. Disaster Boy now realized, ‘they must be mad!’

“woooot woot!!!” Atomik yeld as he blasted through a giant elephant like enemy. “Now THIS is a battle worthy of a planetary champion.” The white costumed, red mohawked warrior flew straight through another line of enemies. Dust, gore, and bones splattered everywhere.

Nam’Lor had blown their cover by flying to the rescue of a damsel in distress, a glowing woman. It was incredible she had survived this long.

Kid Gravity was able to hold the large masses of enemies at bay with a gravity field that pushed them away. This gave time for Nike to chop the front lines to bits, Taur-El to crush them, or Atomik to blast them apart.

Disater Boy conserved his power for later. He would have to think of something to get them out of this. Their mission was obviously a bust, Titus would have to wait, they needed to get back to Weber’s World.

Nam’Lor held the yellow costumed woman protectively. She looked uncomfortable.

“You can let me go now.” She said.

Nam’Lor smiled his big goofy grin. “You have costume almost like Nam’lor, except gold with yellow instead of green with yellow, maybe we soulmates!”

Stella Ah thought for a second “Well, technically its my dead brother’s so … I guess that would make the two of you soulmates …”

Nam’Lor shrugged and then as if just realizing that they were surround by death incarnate he lunged for the rim of the circle, grabbing an enemy in each hand and literally crushing them! Nam’Lor turned self satisfied and grinned to Stella as he had bits and pieces off the enemy on his face.

Stella was shocked but also amused. The punk looking Kid Gravity said to her “Don’t worry he’s harmless.”

Stella thought she would hardly call the large Nam’Lor harmless as he picked up a large muscular opponent, swung him around by his ankles and used him as a club.

“What the hell are you doing out here anyway?!” Kid Gravity asked.

Stella replied, a bit stricken, “I was making my way to Weber’s World, to join up, I guess I was late.”

“That’s a bit of an understatement.” The stone warrior Nike commented dryly as she neatly decapitated an approaching swordsman.

“My name’s, Reflekto, I was coming from Xanthu.”

“Reflecto ? of Xanthu?” Atomik asked, intrigued as his hands burned with energy pushing back a crowd of orcs.

“The first Reflecto was my brother, We have the same powers more or less, I’’ve been a scientist for the past several years. I’ve only just taken up the mantle.”

Nike spun with her sword outstretched, slicing through three attackers of various beast origin. “We don’t need a scientist at the moment.” She quipped.

Disaster Boy shouted. “Fine, we’re done, let’s get out of here back to Weber’s World. We need to regroup. Atomik blast us a path, Kid Gravity, you can use your powers to push them away, otherwise, fend for yourself people, don’t’ let them get close. Ready?”

Disaster Boy noticed the Drinking Buddies all stared at him, the hordes of oncoming attackers had even paused.

“Nass.” He said. He knew it even before he turned around. They couldn’t find Titus but, Titus had found THEM.

[Linked Image]

#119729 07/23/12 10:17 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
The Realm of the Dark Lord

Moments after they'd defeated the hellhound, Cobalt Kid and Lard Lad tried to gather up the energy to renew their quest.

"Gimme a sec, Des," Lardy said. "I need a swig of water before we get going." Lardy reached for his canteen and looked at in disbelief. "Aw, shit!" he yelled.

"What? What is it?" asked his friend.

"Canteen's busted! Must've happened in that scrap with the hellhound!" Lardy shook his head. All...all my water's gone."

Cobie looked at his canteen. It was still intact. But as he shook it, he realized there wasn't much left. Lardy's canteen was twice as big as his, and truthfully, they'd been depending on his supply to see them through. And the sacrificial wine he had brought along was long gone.

"Have some of mine," Cobie said, holding his container in his outstretched arm.

Lardy shrugged. "You know that's not gonna be enough for us both." He held his arms out. "And I haven't seen anything resembling a pristine water source around here. I doubt that there is, in fact, any water on this godsforsaken shithole! Even if we ignored the powers restriction, well, neither of us can produce water, now, can we?"

Lardy was beyond frustrated. All the pain and heartache they'd gone through, and it looked like they would be undone by a lack of the most basic human need.

Cobie felt it, too. But he thought about it for a moment. He knew that if only one of them were to make it to Pornis that surely it should be Lardy rather than him. Lardy could do what needed to be done. He had absolute faith in his friend. And this was the one battle Lardy had always been destined to fight.

So Cobie came to a decision. He held the canteen toward his friend and said, "take it, Lardy. This might be enough to get one of us through. It should be you."

Lardy let the container linger in Cobie's grasp as the implications ran through his mind. He fought back tears. Finally, he replied, "no. No Des, I'm not taking it. No way. We both go, or we both die. I won't let you sacrifice yourself."

Cobalt was filled with empathy for his friend. He didn't like doing this to him. But if neither of them got to Pornis, he knew evrything they'd done to get here would have been in vain.

Cobalt prepared to lay the mother of all guilt trips on Lardy, whatever it took to convince him to take the water, when suddenly...

"That will not be necessary," said a familiar ghostly voice. They both turned to see the ethereal figure of their mysterious guide. "There is a water source of perfect clarity very close to your location. It will also help with your infections."

"Are you crazy?!?" Lardy screamed at her. "A perverted hellhole like this couldn't possibly have anything nourishing in it! Pornis simply wouldn't allow it to exist!"

"He does not allow it to exist," the guide replied. "He simply cannot undo its purity." She motioned around them all. "This was once the realm of the mother of Priapus. It was as pure and holy as this one is an abomination. On the spot where she stood opposed to him, the nobility of her act preserved the pristine quality of that small area from the corruption that overwhelmed the rest of the land."

Cobie thought aloud, "so you're saying there's an oasis?"

"Yes. It is the equivalent of just over one 'mile' further." And she pointed further along their path.

Lardy walked over close to his friend and whispered, "I don't trust her, Des."

Cobie managed a grin and pointed to the canteen. "Me neither. But I don't see us having much of a choice...unless you're ready to take this?"

Lardy rolled his eyes at him, turned around and said to their guide, "lead the way."

------

An hour later, after a long trek that gave them plenty more cuts and bruises, they arrived at the 'oasis'. It couldn't have looked more out of place amidst the darkness and jagged rock that surrounded it in every direction. It was about a twenty square foot space comprised of green grass surrounding a round circular pool of blue water. As they stepped into the space, it even had its own blue sky above lit by the glow of what appeared to be a distant yellow sun.

Casting all doubt aside, the pair ran toward the pool and cupped their hands to drink deeply of its bounty. It was the most perfect water they'd ever drunk. As parched as their tongues were, they suspected this would be true even if they hadn't been deprived of anything but stale libations for what felt like weeks.

As Lardy drank, he could feel the gash on his foot tingling. He could tell that the infection was being burned out. He flexed it. It still hurt like hell. It hadn't healed all up, but he could tell somehow that it no longer endangered his life and limb.

After they'd drunk their fill and topped off their canteens, (Lardy repaired his with some of their water-proof bandages), they took turns bathing in the pool. It made them both feel invigorated as if their sprits had been baptised by the pool's purity. In truth the oasis had gven them more than they could ever put into words.

Looking beyond its borders, the Realm of Pornis seemed light years away, a distant cauldron of a nightmare long forgotten. They knew, though, that if they didn't leave now, that they might never leave. So they put on their gear and exited the oasis in the direction where they saw their ghostly guide waiting patiently on its outskirts.

They stepped across the threshold and, almost immediately, felt much of their renewed vigor sucked back out of them. But they didn't look back.

Lardy then asked of the guide, "you didn't enter with us. Why?"

"I am damned. None among the damned of this realm may enter. In fact Priapus and his minions cannot even perceive it. I can at least see it, though, for some reason. In a way beholding its beauty makes me feel thrice damned."

Lardy stopped in his tracks for a moment and asked of the guide, "are you her? Are you my grandmother?"

The guide almost seemed to chuckle at that. "No, I am not she. In fact your grandmother Chione yet lives...as a prisoner to Priapus in his Palace."

Lardy caught a flash of the ghost's eyes as she relayed that shocking bit of information. He barely comprehended the words as the eyes echoed into his memories.

Cobalt didn't see the eyes this time but was bowled away by her words. "Damn, Lardy--your granny's alive! We can rescue her! I'll bet we---"

But Cobie's words were washed away in Lardy's mind as those eyes bore into him and caused images to flash through his mind.

He saw the eyes delighting as he held a dagger to Shadowplay in Candlelight's throat and used it to cut into Shady's throat on command.

He saw the eyes revelling in her sadism as she beat and raped him.

He saw the eyes triumphant even as he choked the life out of her.

He saw the eyes of....

<span style="font-size: 19px;">"MORDRA!"</span>

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#119730 07/23/12 10:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Dark Oval Horde
Space Near Weber’s World

Titus was much larger than he was when Disaster Boy had last seen him. His skin was glowing darkness, if that made sense. He was full of evil energy. Everyone could see that.

“You have come back to me my Disaster Boy.” Titus licked his lips and gave Disaster Boy a leer that stared right through him.

Titus waved the enormous army away. They all backed away and left to return to their positions to ready themselves for the invasion of Weber’s World.

Behind Titus a large group of super human ghouls appeared. These were his elite. His TOP 40. There were many super powered members of the general army but these were the greatest warriors, all an enemy of Titus at one time, All conquered and manipulated into evil undead versions of themselves.

Here they all stood, 40 of the strongest warriors the Dark Oval had to offer, behind possibly its only surviving General. Titus stood above Disaster Boy.

“no, no, no, no, no.” Disaster Boy whimpered and fell to his knees “It wasn’t supposed to be like this. no, no, no, no.” Fear struck Disaster Boy like a punch in the gut, knocking all the air out of him.

Titus put a hand on Disaster Boy’s head, and stroked him lovingly, as tears welled up in DB’s eyes.

Stella Ah Reflekto, had no idea what was happening but, she knew it wasn’t good.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“RAWWWWWWRRRRR!!!!” The Minotaur shouted as he buried his 7 foot long axe into Titus’ chest. It ripped through his breastplate a struck with a THWANG!

Time stood still and Reflekto thought ‘Great. Done deal. Go Minotaur dude.’

Titus wavered, grunted, and then grabbed the end of the axe and pulled it out of his chest with a “SLURP”. He did not bleed, his fluids were replaced with the Dark Lord’s power. Titus held the sharp end of the axe and began to pull, Taur-El would NOT let go of his axe however.

A short tug of war ensued that ended with Titus hurling Taur-El, axe in hand towards the crowd of his 40 eilte warriors.

Taur-El hurtled and crashed into an asteroid with a thump.

20 or so of Titus’ warriors broke and began circling the isolated Taur-El like vultures, they each held there hands out to their sides, fingers clenched like claws.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Nam’Lor rushed Titus. Nam’Lor was the strongest present. He was Kryptonian level, if a Kryptonian spent all his time working out, and didn’t have to worry about sun age or Kryptonite. His powers came from a strange undefined energy he called energo. It was emitted from Nam’Lor like a radiation, sometimes making people behave bizarrely or uninhibited. People like the Drinking Buddies didn’t mind so much, being uninhibited. It was possible Nam’Lor’s ‘energo’ was responsible for his … ‘mental condition’. Right now though, Nam’Lor called upon more and more energo as he struggled with Titus. The peculiar radiation didn’t burn hot but, it made a sizzling sound as it interacted with Titus’ flesh. Titus grimaced and struggled harder against Nam’Lor’s bulging muscles. They were locked in combat.

They struggled while Disaster Boy came to his senses. He wiped the tears from his face. The remaining ghoul elite closed in on the rest of the Drinking Buddies. The normally grim Nike, looked even more serious as she readied her stone sword in her left hand and pulled a stone belt knife out with her right. A long time ago, she learned to be ambidextrous with her sword-play as most opponents were not used to fighting left handed opponents. It gave her an edge in times of … difficulty.

Atomik gave Kid Gravity a pat on his butt, and said “Time to party.” But, the words were somber for the boisterous planetary champion who seemed more like a famous professional athlete than a hero.

Kid Gravity had never been serious in his entire life, he went from party to party to party. The attention seeking Kid Gravity usually pulled stunts to get in the news, not to save the entire United Planets. ‘well, this is about as serious as it gets.’ He thought.

Reflekto saw a tall female ghoul float towards the grumpy stone warrior.

[Linked Image]

The ghoul projected darkness, smothering Nike in a black energy. Reflekto moved, force field shining, giving her enhanced strength. The darkness projected from the ghoul didn’t slow her as she threw a punch that connected with the ghoul’s face, knocking it nearly clean off. BAM! The ghoul floundered, floating away in space, clearly out of commission. The darkness dispersed and Nike came into view again. Reflekto rubbed her hand, “Super strength, comes in handy for a scientist.” She said to Nike.

Nike nodded in approval.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The fight continued, The Drinking Buddies were natural brawlers, and worth two or three of even Titus’ elite warriors. The problem was, there were many more times that number.

Atomik traded energy blasts with several ghouls who raced after him. Atomik was faster and more accurate but, it was only a matter of time before they hemmed him in.

Three very large ghouls had managed to separate Reflekto from the group. She held them at bay. One had a black eye, the other was holding his jaw, they closed in.

[Linked Image]

Reflekto jumped as one, then another, and finally all three collapsed in on themselves with horrifying crunches.

Kid Gravity held an upraised hand in their direction. “Minute black holes, in the center of their sternums … sucks the rest right in.” He said devilishly.

Reflekto was grateful for the rescue but, she would never enjoy violence as much as these folks. She had no time to ponder her thoughts as in a moment she was in another fight for her life as two more ghouls rushed her.

Disaster Boy searched for Taur-El, and found him on shaky legs, in the middle of a large asteroid, axe in both hands, surrounded by ghouls. The bodies and parts of bodies laid and floated around the scene. Taur-El must have butchered about a dozen but he looked like a bull being harried by jungle cats. A short spear stuck out of his right shoulder. His eye was swollen shut.

Disaster Boy held out both hands, ice flew from one, and fire from the other. He encased several ghouls in ice, and fried a few others. Taur-El lept towards the small defensive circle the rest of the Drinking Buddies had formed.

It looked like an old western, with bandits circling a wagon. These were ghouls circling the Drinking Buddies who fought back to back on a collection of asteroids.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

They had to take out Titus first, Disaster Boy thought. He raised his hands and summoned the asteroids floating around. He manipulated them until they were swirling around the Drinking Buddies in the center of the fight. The rest of the ghouls were being bludgeoned and knocked away as the asteroids circled like a hurricane. That left them in the eye of the asteroid hurricane with Titus.

“KRAK!” “SNAP!”

“OW!” Nam’Lor cried as the sound of snapping bones came from his body. Titus and Nam’Lor struggled and grappled. Titus had won the contest of strength and was pushing Nam’Lor to the ground. Nam’Lor still struggled fiercely but energo was no match for the bottomless pit of power from the Dark Lord.

Nam’Lor was pushed to a kneeling position. Titus grabbed his kneck …

And twisted viciously.

Nam’Lor’s huge body, in yellow and green fell to the floor of the asteroid, limp. Titus picked it up effortlessly and hurled it to the rest of the Drinking Buddies. It was a boast and an insult to cause them pain.

Stella Ah – Reflekto II dove for Nam’Lor’s unmoving body. She cradled him protectively, this large strange man that had risked his life and the lives of his friends to rescue her as if it were just a day in the park. Stella searched for signs of life. This was certainly no day in the park she thought ludicrously.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Nike dropped her shoulders and lunged for Titus, her stone sword and knife whirling. Titus pulled free his own sword and told her to “Come on!”

A clash of reinforced stone on steel rang repeatedly as they fought and parried. Nike spun, cracking Titus on the head with her massive stone wing. She sliced and sliced at him but he did not bleed.

Finally, Titus knew he could not win this way so he surged forward, grabbing the stone woman in his clutches. Nike attempted to use her wings to push him off but Titus grabbed one wing and ripped it off. The stone cracked and broke.

Nike did not cry out. She thrust her sword deep in his belly. Titus grunted and swatted her arm away. Cracks appeared in her hand and arm as he struck. Again Nike did not cry out, with her other hand, she ripped her belt knife across Titus’ throat. It stuck, and tore, as she was obviously trying to decapitate him with her 6” knife. Awareness at what she was trying to do lit up in Titus’ eyes. He looked scared for the first time during their fight.

He brought his fist down shattering Nike’s other arm. She still did not cry out.

Titus held her face to face. He stared in her stone eyes. “You seem familiar. They created you didn’t they?” He said.

Nike’s head went limp and she said in her gravel voice “The New Gods are coming. They are coming for you. I have seen it.” And then the stone woman fell. Whatever animated her, left. Titus tossed the stone body aside roughly, the stone parts bouncing off the asteroid rock.
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

“I need six minutes.” Disaster Boy said out loud. His words struck them like thunder.

The Drinking Buddies charged, Taur-El head-first, he gored Titus, shattering his armor.

“MUTHER GRIFFIN NASS SPROCK GAWN ….” The Minotaur cried out in grief as he pummelled Titus. Titus was impaled on the horns unable to move as he was pinned down. Taur-El resorted to his fists, dropping his axe, he pummelled the sides of Titus.

Atomik swung around in the air circling, ready for his chance.

Titus finally brought a knee up into Taur-El’s chest, sticking him with his spiked knee. The he grabbed the Minotaur be the neck and pulled him out of his sternum with a gut wrenching “splurt, splurt, splurch”. Taur-El struggled fiercely and would not release. Titus punched the bull across the face. Taur-El’s right horn was broken off inside Titus as he was knocked away.

Titus was looking pretty bad, he crouched holding his innards in, he did not bleed as his form was now animated by the Dark Lord but he was starting to look shredded.

Atomik flew in blasting “BOOM, BOOM, BOOM” Titus was bludgeoned with Atomik’s blasts. But Atomik flew too close, Titus lashed out in panic with a clawed glove, ripping into Atomik’s stomach as he flew past. “slllliiiicccceee” went Atomiks side like gas escaping …. A trail of atomic energy flowed out.

Atomik crash landed near Kid Gravity. He looked up at his friend, his energy leaking out. Kid Gravity cried out “NO!!!”

And Atomik blasted off. He flew as far and fast as he could. The red mowhawked planetary champion was finally a hero. He new he was a time bomb, the energy inside him soon to explode. He narrowed his vision and focused on a large battle-wagon in the middle of the Dark Oval fleet. ‘That one’ he thought.

He blazed brilliantly as he flew on a collision course with the biggest baddest enemy ship he could find. He hoped the explosion would take out the surrounding ships as well.
He struck:

BA FWOOSH !!!!

[Linked Image]

The collision lit up space around Weber’s World. It rocked the Dark Oval fleet, sending ships colliding into each other.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

What seemed like hours later, Stella Ah saw the Minotaur make another go at Titus. Disaster Boy was nearby, chanting, in some sort of trance.

Taur-El and Titus traded kicks and punches but, the Minotaur was worn out after taking on so many ghouls … Taur-El would die if he kept this pace.

“SMACK!!” A gloved back-hand sent Taur-El to his knees. The Minotaur passed out, after several valiant efforts.

Titus held his gut, or the remains of his gut, and stepped over Taur-El’s body.

He marched towards Disaster Boy. Disaster Boy was helpless, locked in a trance, chanting. A long time ago he had studied magic to help him control his powers, now he tried any advantage he could get.

Kid Gravity stepped in between the oncoming Titus and Disaster Boy. He wondering ‘what the frak am I doing?!?!’

Kid Gravity gathered his courage and raised both palms towards Titus. Waves and waves of gravity flowed toward Titus. Titus became heavier and heavier. Kid Gravity gave Titus more and more weight until Titus’ steps made heavy crunches as he struggled to step forward.

But still Titus came forward, with heavier and heavier steps until he was almost at Kid Gravity. The Dark Lord’s power filled Titus and he called upon more and more of it to resist the increased gravity. He was a font of evil power. Kid Gravity strained harder and harder, sweat dripping down his face, He focused all the gravity he could on Titus.

Titus still came forward. “Disaster Boy” He moaned. This Titus barely reseambled the previous Titus. He had true fangs, his muscular arms were covered with black tattoos instead of blood red, his skin was grey, his eyes deep black. Titus fell on hands and knees with a heavy “THUMP!” as his now immense weight crashed to the floor.

It was almost like he crawled passionately for Disaster Boy.

Kid Gravity also fell to his knees from the strain of using his powers. “Stop! Stop! Why won’t you STOP!!!” Kid Gravity shouted, the pain from seeing his friends beaten and his impending doom driving him to hysterics.

Titus clawed up at Kid Gravity, he climbed over him, crushing KG’s ankle as he climbed up. Kid Gravity shouted in pain and lost his concentration … the gravity field he was applying to Titus disappeared.

Titus was free.

He looked at Kid Gravity as he laid on top of him. “Are you my Disaster Boy? No, you are delicious but … not him.”

Titus stood leaving Kid Gravity hobbled in pain.

Titus’ body was shredded from the assaults. He looked like a wraith. He limped towards Disaster Boy who glowed with power.

Reflekto felt the heat, saw it coming, she hopped over to Kid Gravity and pulled him in close to where Nam’Lor and Taur-El’s bodies lay. She draped her cape over the three bodies. “I’ve got a force field damnit. I’ve got a force field. I’ve got a force field.” She repeated over and over, trying to shield the others with her body. She had never been able to apply her force field to others. It was skin-tight. As the remains of the Drinking Buddies huddled together, she tried as hard as she could to extend it now.

Titus stood before Disaster Boy now. They stood face to face. Titus body was broken down so that he was at eye level with the LMBPer.

“My Disaster Boy.” Titus’ voiced creaked. Something else else of the old Titus recognized Disaster Boy. The Titus from before he was reanimated through the Dark Lord’s power. “The only one ever to escape. At last I have you.”

Disaster Boy threw his arms around Titus.

“No. I’ve got you. At long last, I’ve got YOU!” He screamed as the solar flare hit.

It was a triumph to pull that much power from the sun, and keep it focused while it travelled through space, and then it struck with precision.

[Linked Image]

Stella Ah screamed as the flare hit. It burned everything away in a white-hot light.

#119731 07/24/12 08:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Paradise

Power Boy soared, surrounded by other New Gods. He felt warmth from his kin. He belonged to a tribe, of others just like himself. He was no longer the only of his kind. He finally found the New Gods. The cosmos was theirs.

……..

Ameratsu stood in the assembly hall of his people, the Sai Bogu. Androids with metallic skin of every colour sat in an immense amphitheatre for the purpose of political discourse. They all wore brightly coloured robes. Ameratsu was being honoured for defeating Titus, for saving his people. Peace was restored. The Sai Bogo would go on, indefinitely. Ameratsu hardly even remembered the upstart, Titus, that opposed them.

…………

Juj rested his head against another durlan, as he lay on the grass. All around him, he could see Durlans frolicking in the park. His antanae were being stroked, he felt comfortable and sleepy, only Durlans as far as he could see.

………..

Power Boy was blissfully happy, perfect specimens ruled the universe along with him. He had many lovers and many battles. The New Gods were worshiped as gods in galaxy after galaxy. Everything was perfectly ordered Power Boy thought, as a beautiful new god male smiled at him. ‘Then why does this seem wrong.’ He thought. ‘There should be more excitement, more humans, everything isn’t so easy.’

……………..

Ameratsu strolled through the capital city of the Sai Bogu planet. He walked to his partition within the city, that he shared with the few other warrior scientists. There was little need for warriors now, he supposed he’d have to spend his time on politics. His position as Anti-Virus 00000001 was mostly ceremonial anyway. ‘Wasn’t it?’ He thought ‘Redundant really’.

…………….

Juj rolled over on the grass, nude. There was no need for clothes amongst Durlans, clothes were just a manipulation of their bodies anyway. His orange skin was no more suggestive of sex than any clothes he could appear to be wearing. He contemplated transforming into something as he felt lazily playful in the warm sun. What to be though, an Earth cat? A Martian … “Where IS everybody? There should be lots of different kinds of people.” Juj sat up and asked, looking around, all he saw were Durlans. “That’s so odd” he thought.

……………
Power Boy looked around with sober eyes. He felt a bit sickened by what he saw. New God perfection ordered the cosmos, and held all other life forms under their heel. “This isn’t right.” He said with ground teeth.

“and it’s boring” he smirked. He reached for his Mega Rod at his hip, and waved it through the air sending energy all around him.

The illusion around him rippled like wax paper.

……………….

Ameratsu saw a flicker out of the corner of his robotic eye. He looked around again, and the city looked pale, not shiny as the true capitol city of the Sai Bogu had actually looked … before it was destroyed. “Before it was destroyed.” He said out loud. “By Titus!” He remembered. His android heart broke as he knew, this seemed so right but, it was not real. In reality, the Dark Lord, Titus’ master would soon conquer the universe, enslave or kill everyone everywhere, just like they did the Sai Bogu.

……………….

Power Boy waved his Mega Rod again, It emitted a white light that seemed to erase the illusion all around him. The New Gods around him changed shape, their faces dark and monstrous. They moved to intercept Power Boy.

……………….

Juj rolled to his feet, everything was turning black and white, the Durlans in the park now looked scary. All of a sudden he remembered everything, He stowed away as Power Boy’s costume, His liquid form created a film over Power Boy’s real costume that looked just like the real thing. No one knew, Juj just had a feeling he couldn’t let Power Boy and Ameratsu go into danger alone. They had been through so much together. “Where were they?”

……………….

Power Boy added more power to his Mega Rod. The energy it emitted seared the entire scene away, just in time as the hideous creatures reached him.

………………

The New God Homeworld [b] Alpha at the Edge of the Universe[/b]

Power Boy, Ameratsu, and Juj opened their eyes after the blinding light. The three were on their knees huddled together on a dais in the middle of an infinite domed room.

The humanoid form of the New God Trickster stood just to their left. “They survive the test!” He snarled.

Juj blinked his eyes open, all around them were shinning people, tall people with luminescent skin. They surrounded them 360 degrees.

A woman with platinum hair held a long staff that curled into an orb at the top. She stood closest except for Trickster. She stamped her staff down. < TAP, TAP, TAP> “So they have.” She said quietly.

And then louder and more formally:

“THE PANTHEON ACCEPTS THE NEW GOD POWER!”

The dome was silent. Some new gods stood around the trio in the center, others floated in the sky to be seen and see.

……………….

Power Boy got to his feet. He spared a look for Juj. “Juj?” He said with a shrug for the Durlan.

Juj looked bashful, and gave an apologetic look, as he had violated Power Boy’s orders.

Juj and Ameratsu both got to their feet, and stood a bit behind Power Boy.

Power Boy waited a moment, and looked around him, taking in the whole scene, the beautiful dome they were in, lit from a starry sky that shown through a circle cut into the top. What he knew were New Gods were all around them, to the sides, and in the air. They glowed slightly, in different colors and brightness, they were all shapes and sizes but, all perfect in their way. The tall blonde woman seemed to be their leader, she gave Power Boy a nod, as if to instruct him to continue.

The New Gods whispered to each other, eventually their voices were rising, soon the moment would be lost.

Power Boy was no great orator but, he had had just about all he was going to take.

“SILENCE!” The dome of the New Gods was instantly quiet. They were not used to such outbursts.

“The Dark Lord rises. As we speak, mortals fight your battles against the Dark Oval. Fight with us, or DIE!”

It was a threat and promise. His words rang true to each of them because they were true.

#119732 07/24/12 11:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
The Realm of the Dark Lord

Cobalt Kid was momentarily dumbfounded as he heard his friend scream the name. He glanced toward the ghostly guide and backed to Lard Lad and repeated, "Mordra?"

Lardy didn't even hear what Cobie said. His eyes were dead fixed on the nearby apparition. In one fluid motion, Lardy withdrew his sword and held it out in front of him. "I KNEW I recognized those eyes! Damn me for a fool for not realizing sooner! SHOW YOURSELF!!!"

The phantasm seemed to shudder, then bowed her head. With a shrug the ethereal hood she wore vanished, and Mordra was fully revealed to these two men who knew and hated her very well. Her pitch black hair flowed over her white robes and matched her eyes except they somehow seemed an even darker black. Her face was painted by a look they'd never seen from her before. The expression was nervous and apprehensive. Scared?

Cobalt's jaw dropped as he looked upon the sight. He knew he'd recognized those eyes when he first saw them in that previous encounter, but he never imagined....

Suddenly, with an incomprehensible snarl of rage, Lardy charged Mordra with his sword and struck her with all of his might. He barely seemed to notice as the weapon merely passed through her intangible form. After every attempt, he simply turned around and charged her again and again and again until he finally collapsed in exhaustion, his eyes still fixed on her nonetheless.

Cobalt watched this whole tableau and made no attempt to stop his friend's pointless actions. But when Lardy collapsed and started hyperventilating, he came to his friend and held him in his arms, comforting him. He knew what this woman had done to his best friend. No single being in the galaxy had harmed him and ruined his life like Mordra had. He remembered how Lardy looked in the aftermath of Mordra's rape and brutalization of him. He'd never seen his friend in a lower place. Cobalt wanted to break down and cry just at the memory. He now physically could, but he wouldn't. He wouldn't give the heartless bitch the satisfaction.

"You're exposed, Harlot!" Cobalt yelled toward her floating image. "You're obviously playing the Dark Lord's game here, but we've seen your hand! Do your WORST!" And he released one hand that was embracing his friend and held it towards her, clearly about to test what his magnetic field could do against her.

"NO!" Mordra screamed. "Please, STOP! I BEG of you! Priapus will sense you if you use your power! You must believe me! You endanger EVERYthing you've worked toward!"

Cobalt grinned smugly. She's afraid! he thought. He flashed back to when she made himself and Loser cut Tsarin's neck and the sick feeling, the utter fear she made him feel as he was helpless to resist her control. He had been so motivated by fear in the years before and since that happened. He never really knew it all that time. He wouldn't ever let it control his actions again.

Cobalt prepared to activate his power when...

"N-no!" Lardy managed as he got up shakily and lowered his friend's outstretched hand. He was still panting heavily and bent over to support his arms on his own thighs. Then, he threw up a little on the craggy rocks below.

Cobalt looked bewilderedly at his friend. Then, an understanding washed over him as he realized that Lardy must have wanted Mordra for himself.

They all stood frozen for a long moment as Lardy finally recovered his breath.

What Lardy did next, none of them, Lardy included, would have expected. He walked up to the spirit, looked her hard in her black, ghostly eyes and calmly said, "okay. Explain yourself."

Mordra's eyes wavered from his steely glare. She couldn't look him in the eyes. "My spirit came here after you...killed me. It certainly wasn't what I expected. The Church of the Eternal Void promised me a glorious afterlife for playing the role of facilitating the Destroyer's...your...destiny." She motioned around the hellish landscape. "This wasn't what I had in mind."

"I'd say you got what you deserved," Lardy observed plainly. Cobalt was amazed by his friend's restraint.

She bowed her head. "I...I'd have to say I agree with you. I've had much time to contemplate my actions here in what I can only describe as Hell. How long has it been since...since I died?"

"Six years."

Her expression was of total shock. "Only six years? Gods...it seems like I've been here a century! I can't--"

"Enough!" Lardy commanded, his calm veneer dissolving for a moment. "You claim you mean to help us, don't you? Why should we believe you?"

She shook her head. "You shouldn't. You have no reason to. I took the love of your life away from you and marred your memory of her. I stole everything you had. I...I raped--"

"You do NOT have to remind me of all the things you did to me, witch! My question is this: Why should I believe you'd help us!!!"

"B-because I regret what I did! I want to balance the scales! I--!"

"SO not buying that!" Lardy snarled with overt sarcasm. "Not in a hundred years of torment would I ever accept that pure altruism would motivate you! I know you too fucking well!" He gestured toward Cobie who got Lardy's drift and again raised his hand threateningly.

"OKAY!" she shrieked and cried ethereal, raging tears. "I want to get back at that bitch of a mother who raised me and ruin all of her godsdamned schemes that she and her husband have been spinning since before I was born! It was Mala who created the sham that was the Church of the Eternal Void and indoctrinated me into it as a priestess! All so I could die and set into motion all the dominoes to fall where they were supposed to! That's all I EVER was to her, and I want to help you tear it all to pieces! I want to send her a gigantic 'FUCK YOU' for grooming me my whole life only so I would fucking rot in Hell for all eternity!!! I want my fucking REVENGE, OKAY?!?!"

Lardy smiled serenely. "Now that, I could buy."

Cobie looked at him and back at Mordra. "Mala's dead, you know," he informed her.

"Good!, she replied. "Maybe she's here somewhere. But whether she can see or not, I'll have the satisfaction of knowing I fucked her over like she did me. That everything she worked toward her whole life was for NOTHING!"

Lardy nodded solemnly and motioned for Cobie to walk with him to talk. "So...what do you think?" Lardy whispered.

"I don't like it. I hate her almost as much as you do. I could never see her doing anything to help us no matter what the motivation."

Lardy glanced over his shoulder to make sure Mordra hadn't moved. "Yeah," he agreed, "I think there's something in this for her beyond revenge. But I also think she's genuine about hating her mother for what she wrought and wouldn't align herself with Pornis to fulfill Mala's goals."

"But couldn't she just make them her own? Set herself up to sit at Pornis's side on his throne?"

"Des, my father can't be manipulated. And Mordra has no use for a man who she can't control. It's against her nature."

"And so...?" Cobalt motioned back and forth between himself and Lardy. The implication was obvious.

"Yes, she's using us. But we're using her, too. Remember, Nura said our guide would be very 'difficult' for us to trust. But she said her help would be 'necessary' for us to fulfill this quest. So the question really is...do we trust in Nura?"

Cobalt thought back about the ravishing platinum blond beauty. He barely knew her, but at the same time he felt a comradery with her that was difficult to explain. It was as if Nura, in another place or time, could have been one of them. One of the Legion. "Yes," he answered decisively, "I trust Nura."

"Then, there's our answer. Believe me...this feels like the most difficult leap of faith I've ever had to take, but this isn't the time to let hatred...and fear...motivate us."

Cobalt hugged his friend. "Never again," he said.

They broke the embrace and headed toward the shimmering spirit.

"Lead the way, Mordra," Lardy said to her, and she silently turned and drifted towards their eventual destination. Lardy stopped his friend for a moment and whispered to him, "but watch my back anyway, 'kay?"

Cobie winked, grinned and replied, "always."

And the trio continued on, ever closer into the heart of darkness.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#119733 07/25/12 12:23 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Weber's World

As the party made their way back to the lead ship, the mood was wonderfully relaxed. They all knew they weren't done fighting yet, but they also all knew they had earned a few brief moments of peace.

Poverty Lad, Dedman and Nightcrawler were trading notes and catching up. Angdar and Marvin were piloting the ship leisurely. Kinetix, Kairos, Spelling Bee and Danger Damsel clustered around Shadowplay in Candlelight Lass as she regaled them with tales of LMB past. Kid Prime floated serenely outside the ship.

Invisible Brainiac and Blaze snuggled together at the back of the ship. "Are you sure you're okay?" IB asked. "You've been shivering every so often on the way back."

"As long as I'm with you, I have all the heat I need," Blaze grinned. "Seriously though, I'm fine. Just a little cold..."

IB frowned. "Could it be because of the portal? We have to get you checked as soon as we get back." He glared at Blaze as he tried to protest.

Before they could argue, Poverty Lad cut in. "Incoming transmission from Rockhopper Lad, all."

As Pov looped them in, Rocky's gentle voice came in. "Greetings all, and a warm welcome to those I haven't met before. This is Rockhopper Lad, LMB leader speaking."

"Nice cowboy hat," Kairos whispered to Kinetix, who nodded in agreement.

"Thank you for successfully undertaking your missions, at great injury to some of you," Rocky said. "We've verified that the portal remains closed, and the Dark Army will no longer grow in number. Also, your efforts have cleaned Space Quadrants C and D of all enemies. In addition, our forces report that no additional enemies have been appearing planetside or in Quadrants A or B. We're holding our own and are steadily gaining the advantage." A loud cheer went up, and IB perked up as well. He'd been feeling guilty for all the trouble he'd caused. He gave Blaze a hug and whispered, "You're a hero!"

Switching back to addressing Rocky, he asked, "So does that mean I can drop my light shield around Weber's World now?"

Nightcrawler was dubmfounded. "You mean you've been maintaining it all this time?"

IB shrugged. "It wasn't that hard. I just "set" the shield. It's not that strong, anyway; only the weaker enemies are being kept out."

"I suppose you can, but that doesn't mean we can relax. We need you to return posthaste. We believe this may signal a further attack," Rocky said somberly.

"What? What makes you think that?" Spelling Bee asked. "Maybe they just got stared seeing all we can do?"

"Were it that simple, lass," Rocky said. "Enemies had been passing through the portal up until you closed it; by all accounts, they are amassing just outside our outermost orbital defenses. As if they are waiting for something." The cabin fell silent as he news sank in.

"Also, some of our own fallen have risen again... and attacked us." Rocky paused for a moment as a collective gasp went up. "We believe we've identified the cause, and Invisible Brainiac and Petty Officer Marvin may recognize it..."

IB and Marvin gasped as they saw the mental image sent by Rocky. "The Dream-Eater at the Brood homeworld!"

"We surmised that the Dark Lord must be drawing power from its victims somehow, otherwise why subject them to that kind of slow death? But I never imagined it would turn them into slaves..."

"But we weren't affected. Is it because we were still alive when we entered it? Maybe it works faster on dead bodies."

Rocky cleared his throat. "That, gentlemen, is why I request you return to the lead ship at once. We need to plan for this."

"Consider us there," Marvin said grimly. "Angdar, let's take the fastest route."

As the pilots made their calculations, IB turned to Blaze in worry. "I remember now. After we freed ourselves from the Dream-Eater, we all felt cold for a short while after. Maybe you were touched by one when you closed the portal."

"Oh..." Blaze said. "But, it can't turn you while you're alive, right?"

"No," IB smiled. "You should be fine."

"Say... is it just me or ar ethe stars winking out?" Angdar said.

Everyone turned as one to look, as an inky blackness seemed to appear in front of them.

"No... it's here," Marvin breathed.

"Grife, how fast does it move?" Danger Damsel asked.

"Extremely," rumbled Kid Prime. "And I believe it defies our sensors as well."

"Can we outrun it?" Candlelight asked.

"Not at our present trajectory!" Marvin replied. "Brace yourselves, everybody!"

"Hold on! I'm sending help!" Rocky said.

"No wonder the Dark Army forces withdrew. They wanted the Dream-Eater to finish us off..." IB said. He looked at Blaze, who was staring outside the window in shock, hands gripping his armrest. IB leaned in to whisper, "When you were lost in the portal, I told myself I'd give anything for another day with you. But much as I'd like to stay with you now... I have to go."

In a burst of light, IB leaped forward before Blaze could even turn his head.

"Just in case... I'm glad I was able to kiss you one last time," IB thought to Blaze. Drinking in even more energy than he already had a while ago, he dove right into the heart of the Dream-Eater.

#119734 07/25/12 12:47 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Alpha
Home of the New Gods

“This is ridiculous.” Power Boy said to Juj and Ameratsu. They still stood in the middle of the dome of the New Gods.

After Power Boy's proclamation, the New Gods began chattering like a hornet’s nest. Now, they were voting.

“I predict they will vote in favor of war, 50% to 39%, with 11% abstaining or …” Ameratsu trailed off as he noticed Power Boy’s face.

Power Boy was frustrated! Several New Gods had spoken up in his favor, especially the leader, despite criticisms she was supposed to be impartial. He also noticed, a few vocal critics, and he realized … the Dark Lord must have agents even here, to cause dissent to track the New Gods.

Juj turned his head as he heard a cracking sound. A bit of dust fell down between the three LMBPers.

“uh …” Juj pointed at the ceiling.

Power Boy smiled. “A little late.”

Grey figures ripped open the roof, and slid through holes, chunks of the ceiling fell to the ground but the scene seemed silent as what was happening dawned on everyone present. Bat winged figures flew down into the dome.

It took a long moment but, the New Gods … FOUGHT!

Energy blasts incinerated the interlopers, A wave of a hand here left an enemy dust, and wave of a hand there threw a group of snarling ghouls so hard against a wall they exploded as they hit.

Nearby, the lupine man Trickster made a slight theatrical bow.

Ameratsu turned to Power Boy “You planned this, you led them here.”

Power Boy nodded.

Ameratsu said “I see you’ve learned some things from Cobalt Kid.”

“You bet your gilded ass I sprocking have.” Power Boy stoically trotted off to join the fight.

Juj’s form liquefied and said “Looks like he’s learned a few things from Lard Lad as well.” Then he bounced off towards a grey horned female figure.

Ameratsu stood dumbfounded “I didn’t see this coming.”

The fight would be short and a clear victory. The Dark Lord didn’t have many servants this far out in space.

This battle would encourage the New Gods onward.

#119735 07/25/12 03:48 PM
Active
Active
The Dominion, The Dark Oval
Ad hoc Headquarters of the United Planets Starfleets

“C’mon, keep moving,” said Satan Claws Cramer. Her usual abrasive demeanor was somewhat subdued, as she led the squad of Losers through a never-ending maze of corridors. As the four ladies continued their escape, the noise of the alarms became almost deafening. They could hear soldiers all around them…getting closer…descending on them. Even Cramer was beginning to see they had almost no chance of surviving. “C’mon, Oracle,” she added.

Cramer pulled Lolita forward by the arm, almost dragging her along. Since they regrouped, Lolita had gone into shock. She was almost in a daze, allowing herself to be led forward by Cramer. She had only stopped once, to vomit. Satan Claws Cramer had been very abrupt with Lolita from the beginning, insinuating she found her weak and not worth her time. Having learned what she had just done, Satan Claws had softened up, as if Lolita had earned her respect. After all, she could remember her own first kill. Now Satan Claws took care of the young heroine, and had even called her by her LMB codename, Oracle.

Behind them, Lightning Lass carried Zhiya, who was now too weak to stand. She was losing blood at an incredible pace. She kept silent, her eyes glued on Lolita, with concern and worry etched into her face. Lighting Lass, to her credit, did not complain once about carrying her ally.

The footsteps grew ever closer.

“No killing, SCC,” said Ayla.

“My ass,” replied the SMBer. “It’s kill or be killed, Ayla. I ain’t going down without a fight. We killed their general. Sure, they might get their shit together and come to the rescue at Weber’s World, but not before we pay the price.”

Lightning Lass was silent. Guess we were so concerned with Belisarius that we didn’t really think this part through… she thought.

And then suddenly, they were surrounded.

They had been tracked for the past 20 minutes, but the soldiers showed great restraint in rushing forward. They knew the girls were powerful and in order to bring them down, it would take a larger number to do it. Little by little they led them through the maze, cutting off corridors with units until the girls went exactly where the soldiers wanted them.

“Hands up where we can see them, assassins,” said a soldier. There was ice in his voice but it was not venomous. Rather, the cold, calculating voice of someone simply doing their job.

“Make me,” said Satan Claws Cramer, as she held her blaster up to the side of her face. By her side Lolita looked up but almost as if she did not see the soldiers. Lightning Lass could hardly hold Zhiya anymore; Zhiya could hardly keep her eyes open.

“Glad to, witch,” said one soldier, as he prepared to fire.

“Stop!” yelled the first soldier to talk, clearly the commander of this unit. “No one fire unless on my command or its your ass,” he said. There was something in his voice. If the tensions weren’t so high, the girls could see that perhaps he knew what they did was necessary. “Put the gun down, ma’am,” he said to Satan Claws Cramer. It was a clear, even tempered command.

Silence boomed for moments, stretching out into what felt like eons.

“Everyone stand down!” came a sudden voice. It boomed as if giving commands was what it had been trained to do since birth. “Everyone, Stand Down!.” The soldiers and the girls all looked around in shock, unsure where it came from, or who it came from.

And suddenly, the very roof over their heads began being ripped apart. Everyone turned upwards with guns drawn, preparing to fire…yet the commanding presence of that VOICE made them tremble.

It gave commands like it was born to do so…because it had.

“For those who do not know me, I am Mikel Jectra, Royal Prince of Psyonia, Ambassador of the United Planets and Legionnaire.” Hovering above them, at his most magnificent, was Crusader. Longtime Legionnaire and stalwart hero of the United Planets. Beside him was his paramour Maxx, the wizard, and the LMBer Cleome. Crusader’s cape billowed as if caught by wind. His presence was regal and commanding; it spoke of authority.

“Belisarius is dead! This you know. His actions these last few weeks will be debated for many years. But these things do not concern us now. We are heroes. Soldiers. We have a duty. This you know. This is self-evident. The United Planets has named me temporary General Maximus of the United Planets Starfleets until a proper replacement for Belisarius can be chosen. I accept this duty because it is a burden that must be borne. All of you now report to me.”

As he spoke the words, they came out clearly and logically. Each of the soldiers seemed to understand exactly what he was saying.

“Now lower your weapons and hunt these heroines no longer. They will not face any charges whatsoever for their actions, and they have committed no crimes.” He looked towards them, and could see tears running down Lightning Lass’s face. She truly believed these moments would be her last. He turned back to the soldiers. “Now I command you to return to your battle stations. This fleet mobilizes at sunset!”

For the briefest of moments there was no movement, and then suddenly, the soldiers started up once more, adhering to their duty, and leaving the heroes alone.

Crusader, Maxx and Cleome drifted downwards to the four girls, as Cleome flew over to Zhiya and Lightning Lass with concern. “How is she?” said Cleome, immediately.

“Not good,” said Ayla. “Lost alotta of blood. Has a fever.”

“Perhaps I can help with that,” she added, and Lightning Lass saw Cleome’s hand—more plant than human—began to hatch little pods, which Cleome then rubbed onto the wound. “This salve should stave off any infection and stop the bleeding. She may just make it yet.”

Maxx greeted Satan Claws Cramer. “All this time in the Dark Oval is paying off, then,” he said. “That was some good timing.”

“A little too fucking close for comfort…” said Cramer with a grin. “But thanks.”

The regal Crusader walked forward to Lolita, who still looked as if what was happening was not registering for her. “Lolita,” he said calmly. “Are you alright?”

At the sound of his voice, and the telepathic method of asking that went with it, she lifted her head. As she saw him, fresh tears ran down her cheeks. “I-I…I am…” she said.

He nodded. In that moment, he read her thoughts and knew what she had done, and it broke his heart. For assassination was something the Jectra twins could never condone or understand. But he also sympathized with her and felt her pain. And he almost admired her courage.

Crusader turned to Maxx with a smile. “Now what?  Lead this naval force back to Weber’s World? We have our work cut out for us…”

Before Maxx or any others could answer, a loud beeping sound suddenly went off on Lolita’s omni-com. The noise triggered something in her, that made her grab it with normal reaction time. As if coming out of a fog, she read the message and looked up. Everyone stared at her.

“Incoming transmission…from someone named…Ameratsu…?

They looked at her perplexed.

“Looks like we have a plan…”

#119736 07/26/12 04:34 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Weber's World

"What are you doing, IB?!" Invisible Brainiac couldn't even tell who was "thinking" at him. it seemed everyone was! Blaze's voice in particular was loud, though.

IB grunted as he plunged forward, his light rays slowly cleaving a hole in the Dream-Eater. It was stronger and much bigger than the last one he and Pov fought near the portal. Heck, it was much stronger AND more powerful than the one he, Marvin and Disaster Boy had destroyed near the Brood homeworld.

"Don't worry, I'm not suicidal," IB thought back. "But the only way to beat this is by using intense light, so I'm the best bet to lead the attack among those her!" He paused as tendrils of black blobby ink reached out to swat him. He quickly backed away while blasting light in a wide arc in front of him.

"I learn from my mistakes, though. Kairos, can you slow this down? Blaze, Kinetix, Pov, Bee, Marvin, blast it with whatever you have. Kippers, try to block the Dream-Eater from reaching the ship; I'm betting it won't be able to damage your body, though you might get caught in it so be careful. Nighty, if Rocky sends a ship start teleporting us one by one to avoid contaminating the ship with the blob. And Rocky, if you send help, please include Reboot and Kent so they can study this thing. Also send people who can radiate light energy, and don't send anyone wounded!"

IB sent one more thought directly to Blaze - "I love you. I'm definitely coming back!" Then he muted the link so he could concentrate. But he problem with multi-tasking is you tend to lose focus. IB looked around to find he'd been careless; tentacles were all around him.

"Sprock."

IB quickly turned to light to try and evade, but he was too late. Darkness descended all around him.

"... We don't have time for this," Kinetix gritted through her teeth. "You're injured!"

Angdar looked at her levelly. Nobody had heard, amid the chaos. "IB asked Rocky to send Kent Shakespeare. I can have him look at me when all this is done."

Kinetix shook her head. "It's been nearly two hours since we left the portal. If anything happens to you..."

"I won't be able to make it out alone, anyway. We either stick together, or fall to that Dream-Eater individually."

Kinetix opened her mouth to protest, but just then Nightcrawler BAMFed beside her. "I know you want to say goodbye, but sadly we don't have much time. Ready to roll?"

Kinetix gave him a glare. "Okay, but Angdar is injured. When Kent gets here, Angdar is first in line, okay?"

At Nightcrawler's nod, Kinetix turned and gave Angdar a kiss. Then she joined the others to leap into the fray.

Invisible Brainiac rubbed his head. Damn, it hurt. Like he hadn't had enough sleep. What happened? Last thing he remembered was being swallowed up...

He sat up, much like one sits up when falling in a dream. Damn, how long have I been out?"

As his blurring vision settled, he stared in horror as tendrils of darkness slipped towards the ship. "No!" he wanted to scream, but he was trapped too. All he could do was watch as his friends jumped out to rescue him, and got trapped for their trouble.

Pov and Kinetix were first as they tried to rush the Dream-Eater. Kairos cussed as she was dragged under, her timefield unable to save her. Angdar swung his mace with all his might, but not even Nth metal could save him.

"I'm coming, Baby!" Blaze as as he turned his fire powers on, full blast. IB cried silently, but he couldn't move anything else. He just watched as the darkness slammed into Blaze, bringing him in. IB closed his eyes. He couldn't bear to watch as Blaze got hurt... And darkness took him again.

Rockhopper Lad stared grimly at his viewscreens. He had set his ship on course to the Dream-Eater, and had sent an advance squad of some of the LMB's best. Losing any Legionnaire was a big blow, but some of those in danger now had powers, skills and knowledge essential to winning the war.

He settled back. All he could do now was wait and continue to be a leader.

IB opened his eyes again. "Oh light, how long have I been out?" he thought.

His comrades were around him. He gave a start as he saw... "Abin? Reboot? Ranger? Kalla?"

Oh no. The reinforcements Rocky sent. They must have gotten trapped too!

IB moved his eyes in a panic. He couldn't turn his head, or his neck. No, they can't all be here. Have we lost? Where's Blaze? Where's...

"IB, come with me," a figure appeared suddenly. Its skin was pale, its posture bent. Its voice was unbearably hoarse and dry. It looked like it had been through much better.

"Who are you?" IB asked. He couldn't get a good look.

"Don't you recognize me?" The figure raised its head to look IB straight in the eye. IB gasped.

"Blaze? What happened to you? Oh baby..."

"We've been in here too long. But we can still be free. Take my hand, join your light with my fire. Let's get out of here. We don't need to sacrifice our happiness. We can go away together, just you and me..."

IB was taken aback. "You can't mean that, baby..." he said. "You can't mean we should abandon everyone else!"

"We must..." Blaze said sadly. "We have no other choice. IB, I'm dying. If we don't get out of here now..."

"I... How can..." IB closed his eyes. Grife, get a grip, kid. Think! Last time the Dream-Eater conjured up a hallucination for me. It must be tempting me! Blaze wouldn't ask me to do this. He wouldn't!

IB opened his eyes. "Okay, baby... Take my hand."

Blaze smiled, although his eyes remained sunken. He lifted IB's hand to his lips...

And ate a fistful of hard light.

"Eat it, fake! No way you're real!" IB screamed as he focused his will. He lit up the entire area with all the energy he had. The images of Blaze and all the other LMBers faded, replaced by the dark matter that had created them.

Slowly, slowly, his light pushed outward. At first the cloud resisted, as if it were drinking the light in. IB gritted his teeth and pushed himself harder. No way was he going to let this be the end of his fight.

Blaze shivered as he took his position beside the other energy-casters of the group. The Dream-Eater radiated such malevolence... but he couldn't leave IB in that horrible place. He kept pouring his flame onto his assigned spot. Nobody knew where IB was, so they had to cover a smuch of the cloud as possible.

"Uh..." he couldn't help but let out a groan. How long had they been doing this? Grife, he was tired!

"Are you okay?" Candlelight asked beside him. "That grunt tells me you're not.?"

"Oh... uh, yes Ma'am. Just feeling a bit dizzy. But I can't let IB down."

Candlelight frowned, then nodded. "Once we get him out, you two are going straight to sickbay, okay?"

Blaze couldn't help but nod. Yes, "when"... not "if".

IB wiped the sweat from his brow. Even in the cold darkness, he was feeling the exhaustion. His head was pounding.

He briefly toyed with the idea of splitting into his seven selves, but decided against it. He'd expended so much energy in the last few hours that splitting would weaken him too much.

He refocused his will. Beating this thing wasn't just a matter of energy; he'd almost been consumed the first time until he'd accepted that it wasn't real.

Maybe I should picture happy thoughts? It sounds like a *$%!)# fairy tale, but who knows... Okay, when I get out of here I'm taking Blaze to China and Brazil. Just him and me. So let's get out of here already!

Feeling a second wind, IB refocused his blasts. His head still hurt, he still felt chills wrack his body, and he still sweat. But he couldn't stop now.

This time, the darkness slowly fell away around him.

Blaze was sweating now, but he kept on pouring all he had into the Dream-Eater. By now, reinforcements had arrived - he saw Kar-Em, Abin Quank, Harbinger, He Who Wanders and many more. Even Andgar, Marvin and Danger Damsel had joined the fray, firing with their laser pistols. His heart pounded. So many of them were here. They could save IB... If only they could find him! The Dream-Eater was like a great wall, its ends disappearing into the distance.

Suddenly, he felt himself whoosh through space. "Keep moving, lad," Kar-Em said as he pointed. Blaze looked at where Kar-Em was pointing and saw a shadowy tendril. The cloud was fighting back. "You do not want to be a stationary target."

Blaze stammered his thanks. Where was his head at? Giving himself a shake, he turned to scan the cloud. Where could IB be in that inky sea of blackness?

"There!" Space Ranger shouted. "I see something moving!"

"Is it IB?" Blaze cried. He moved forward, for a better look.

"It must be," Reboot replied. "Know anyone else who can glow that brightly?"

Kalla Hrykos made as if to reply, then closed her mouth. She turned and intensified her own light beams.

"Everyone, please! Focus on this spot!" Blaze yelled.

And they did. Between the glow in its interior and the assault from outside, the Dream-Eater seemed to convulse. It screamed, for lack of a better word. Everyone shuddered as an awful sound, one that nothing alive could have made, erupted all around them.

Blaze didn't care. "Keep pushing, everyone!" Mustering his strength, he threw a fireball as big as their ship. At the same time, a large ball of light burst out of the Dream-Eater. The two energies collided, illuminating the blackness of space.

Everyone shielded their eyes. It was so bright! As the light faded, Invisible Brainiac floated there before them. He hung like a rag doll, without any bones.

"Oh!" Blaze cried as he floated forward and grabbed IB. Odd, the effort was unusually exhausting. He cradled IB's head gingerly, turning it so they faced each other. "Are you okay?"

IB grinned. "I am now that you're here." He raised his voice, though it sounded weak. "Everyone, don't stop! We have to drive the Dream-Eater away and by ourselves time!"

IB unleashed a laser stronger than any Blaze had ever seen before. Blaze joined in, adding his flames to IB's light. All together, the others added their powers as well.

The Dream-Eater let out a horrible scream, even worse than the last one. Then slowly, slowly, the Dream-Eater turned and ran away like inky water swirling down a drain.

IB turned to Blaze, smiling weakly. "We did it... We bought some time. I... Ohhh!" IB said as he leaned forward, slumping against Blaze's chest.

"IB...!" Blaze cried. He tried to rouse IB, but he was feeling weak himself...

"Let me look at them!" someone yelled. Was it Kent?

"Grife. I'm scanning their systems, and I see plenty of the same black particles that we saw in Dev-Em's body," someone else said. "They must have come into contact with it for too long."

"I was right... you must have been contaminated in the portal..." IB said sadly. "Oh Blaze..."

"Ssshhh... It's okay, IB... It's not your fault..."

People were yelling now, arguing about moving them back to the ship. Someone, he wasn't sure who, asked whether they would turn into zombie ghouls too. Reboot replied that he didn't know. Someone else argued that they were still alive, dammit. They could still be saved.

Blaze could feel his body being lifted. But he clung to IB, who clung back. "It's not fair," IB whispered. "We didn't even get to enjoy each other's company for long."

Blaze could feel his eyes tearing up. "I know. We never got to see the galaxy together."

"In case this is it... thanks for making me happy, even if it was just a short while," IB smiled. He was crying, too.

"Thanks for making me happy too..." Blaze said.

With an effort, IB raised his head and leaned forward. Blaze met him in the middle, and the two kissed.

Everything faded into white.

#119737 07/26/12 05:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Weber's World

Invisible Brainiac and Blaze found themselves standing naked in a strange landscape. The sun shone brightly, and the sand was soft beneath their toes. The wind was blowing gently.

IB turned to Blaze. "Is this heaven, you think?"

It is not yet your time, young ones.

Blaze gave a little jump. "Who said that?" He looked left and right, but saw nothing.

We are the old gods, whose names are no longer known to mortals. We are the Light that illuminates the land...

And I am the Heat that warms the flesh.

"Are you... the one who gave Blaze his powers too?" IB asked. "I know the Light gods gave me mine."

Yes, you are correct. I allowed Blaze to receive his powers.

And it is with great joy that we see you two have found each other. For when Heat and Light come together, the result is nurturing life.

IB and Blaze looked at each other. This was all a lot to take in. "Um... by life, do you mean we're not going to die?"

We are no longer powerful enough to meddle directly in the affairs of mortals, but you are correct in that you will not die.

Your deep love for one another has spawned a union that will allow us to combine our power just this one time. And that powerful item of power you carry will allow us to channel our power to you.

IB and Blaze looked at each other. "But we're both naked... Oh! I remember now. Tempest!" IB smiled as he fingered the amulet around his neck. "She said she'd cast a protective charm here in thanks for my help."

And it was that magic that allows us to touch both of you mortals.

IB and Blaze hugged each other. "Thank you."

It is we who thank you, for honoring us with your powers. Now, we bid you farewell.

IB and Blaze stood, waiting patiently. Nothing happened. They looked at one another.

You must kiss each other first.

"Oops," IB said as he and Blaze both blushed. They leaned in for a kiss...

And everything faded into white again.

Invisible Brainiac and Blaze opened their eyes in mid-kiss. All around them, the LMBers were arguing as to what to do. IB winked at Blaze, then stood up. Blaze followed suit.

*Ahem*, IB coughed.

Everyone around them jumped. "You're alive!" Marvin said.

"Yes, we are. it's good to be here," Blaze replied.

"Not that I'm not really happy now, but... how?" Kinetix asked.

"With a bit of help from the sources of our powers, and from this amulet, and from our love," IB replied. "Honest to goodness."

"The enchanted amulet?" Kinetix asked, turning to touch it. "Oh!" she cried as her hand glowed.

"Are you...?" Angdar asked.

"I'm... fine," Kinetix said as she stared at her hand. "I'm more than fine, my hand is healed!"

"Must be the amulet's residual power," Blaze remarked.

"You should try it, Angdar!" Kinetix said. Angdar stepped forward and, at IB's nod, touched his amulet. Angdar frowned. "I don't feel any better." He held his side. Despite himself, he winced.

Kinetix frowned. "We really should go back."

"Yes, we should," IB said. He suddenly looked concerned. Maybe the amulet ran out of power? Or it only works on those with magical potential?"Besides, we need to plan for the Dream-Eater. It'll be back unless we destroy it."

"I don't really know what just happened, but... I totally agree," Nightcrawler said as he motioned for everyone to follow. The LMBers quickly piled into the ship and headed back to rejoin their comrades.

#119738 07/26/12 08:03 AM
Active
Active
The Dominion, The Dark Oval
Ad hoc Headquarters of the United Planets Starfleets

The full force of the United Planets Starfleet mobilized before her. The sheer scope of it was astounding and normally would give anyone pause. But for Lolita Hypatia, she scarcely noticed. Her thoughts were elsewhere, replaying in her mind the same moment again and again. All with one single question in mind. Was there another way?

The daze she was in before had passed, but was now replaced with an intense feeling of depression. She had trouble getting her thoughts together. It was as if all the good that had been accomplished thus far was lost, and a low humming darkness settled over the entirety of the war.

“Anything yet?” said a voice behind her, and she turned to see three figures approaching: Lightning Lass, Maxx and Crusader. She knew Cleome was taking care of Zhiya, while Satan Claws Cramer was laughing it up over drinks with several soldiers that had snuck away from their duty to enjoy a pre-battle libation. She had already received the best news possible—that Zhiya would live. Somewhere along the way on this crazy quest, she’d gained a new best friend. Whenever she thought of Zhiya, she felt ever so slightly better about her decision to shoot Belisarius.

“No,” she said after a moment. “Whoever this Ameratsu is, he was very precise. Down to the seconds even for when this ‘majestic help’ would arrive. So we have another two minutes.”

Lightning Lass put her hand on Lolita’s shoulder. “How you holding up, ‘Lita?”

“I’ve been better,” she responded somberly.

Maxx looked to Crusader to nudge him to say something encouraging. Crusader was a bit at a loss for words. Maxx offered a solution to Lolita, not knowing it was exactly the same solution Crusader gave Cobalt Kid all those years ago following his own trauma. “Sometimes dear, it’s best to immerse yourself in your duties. They can provide focus. Clarity.”

She nodded at the wizard, knowing there was truth in her words. It was what Cobie would have said. Cobie…bloody liberty…I wonder where he is now? If he’s still alive? If any of them are? What a little fool I was to be so cruel when we parted. Now I’m just as guilty as he is of such terrible things.

She thought about Shark Lad and what he would say. He would be understanding of course. After all, he knew exactly what she was going through. But she wondered if perhaps he’d lose a little of the glimmer in his eyes when he looked at her. As if who she was now was somewhat lesser than who she had been before. Have I lost something of myself? Am I ‘used goods’?

It was during these dark thoughts, that suddenly the sky began to grow bright. A colorless shade of white shown forth in all directions suddenly, and every single sentient in the vicinity could do nothing other than look up and shield their eyes. It hurt to keep looking yet they could not turn away.

“Is it…?” began Crusader but even he could not speak over the light. Though it made no sound, they felt all sound being sucked out of the area around them.

It felt so painful…yet so beautiful. So pure.

<span style="font-size: 32px;">BOOM!</span>

And suddenly, where there was light, there was now a majestic host in its place. They appeared endless, coming from all directions yet none. There was a nobility to them; something soothing about their very look. And above all, there was a grandeur.

Lolita looked up and first and foremost among them, she saw the noble figure of Power Boy. There was something that stirred in her to see him leading a host of the New Gods; something deep in her being that not only caused tears to run down her cheeks, but for her to actually sob. They were the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.

And deep within, she felt hope.

Power Boy flew down smiling, with Juj and Ameratsu by his sides. Neither being was known yet to Lolita or the others. For a moment, he did not say anything, as he was surprised to see Lolita quietly crying. He simply walked forward and put his hand on her shoulder.

In that act, everyone looking on realized for the first time that Power Boy was truly a higher being. One whose actions worked in mysterious ways.

At last he spoke, and when he did, Lolita’s tears stopped. The feeling of hope grew and it caused her to smile widely. “Now is the turning of the tide.

Page 16 of 21 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,107
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star