Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 44 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CALLING THE ROLL of LSH 44 "ENEMY RISING: OPERATION CALCULUS" (Spoilers)
#11201 07/23/08 06:25 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Batwitches a-wing everywhere!

SaturnGirl3 SATURN GIRL: Vi cradling Gim, Imra cradling Cham... it'd be nice to see a male be nurturing here, too.

CHAMELEON: "Have you had a fourth of your body mass vaporized, too?!" Cham is the best line magnet of the team.

STAR BOY: He was there.

UltraBoy3 ULTRA BOY: "Holy Ni Neveh" A tad too cutesy, here. Guess Norima wouldn't have thought so. Too bad she's just another ill-conceived Shvaughn Erin fake-out. What is up with those?

Maybe she'll develop a to-the-death attraction to Jo and get herself some superpower or other and show up at the next tryout.

Next issue will probably wrap up the Rimbor mission, unless there's a surprise (which'd be welcome) in store. I've gone from enjoying this stint on Jo's planet to really not caring much at all this issue. There was something missing. Purpose. Glimpses into Jo's Rimborian life...

PHANTOM GIRL: She was there.

Brainiac53 BRAINIAC 5: He almost went an issue without a line, till his expositional bursts on the last page. Has he ever been in an issue in which he didn't get any lines?

LIGHTNING LAD: Reactional exposition.

M'rissey: I devoutly hope that super-business managing isn't going to actually make this guy a member. Projectra's super-wealth was bad enough.

Ikilles: Boy, did he go from sort of interesting with hints of complexity to total drooling pirate king in a hurry.

RANDOMNESS:

-I wanted more of Invisible Kid's mission, but I was glad to see the 'rightful' colonists appear. Wonder if there'll be a Norgopolis on Velmar V?

-Where was Giselle?

-Why even bother with the United Planets team? They had zero impact in this story.

-I'm torn between a perverse fascination with the Ikonns orgiastic tendencies and mild disapproval. What do y'all think?

-I was bored by the Rimborian Legionnaire/cop fight. Anyone else?

-I thought President Kieselbach was Circe from 5YL there for a second.

-OKKK. Corny or just Val?

Re: CALLING THE ROLL of LSH 44 "ENEMY RISING: OPERATION CALCULUS" (Spoilers)
#11202 07/23/08 07:24 PM
Honorary
Honorary
biblical tidbits about Ultra Boy's etymology:

Jo Nah = Jonah, prophet of God
Ta Rshish = Tarshish, name of a village in Lebanon where Jonah wanted to travel
Ni Neveh = Nineveh, flourishing capital of the Assyrian empire where God sent Jonah to preach

don't know the reference for Norima yet.

How many times do I have to die?!?
#11203 07/23/08 08:52 PM
Leader
Leader
You know, I really don't think this issue was written by Shooter. At most, I think it was his plot, either scripted or heavily edited by someone else. It just didn't "sound" like his writing, or at all like his previous issues.

I wonder if the Rich Johnston rumor was true, and this issue had to be completed in house in between the time Shooter allegendy walked off the book and the time he came back, with his name kept on as sole writer to save face?

#11204 07/23/08 08:57 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

Ikilles: Boy, did he go from sort of interesting with hints of complexity to total drooling pirate king in a hurry.

Lending credence to my "based on a plot by Jim Shooter" theory?

#11205 07/23/08 09:01 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

-I thought President Kieselbach was Circe from 5YL there for a second.
What is she president of, anyway? Earth? Jupiter? Not the UP.

#11206 07/24/08 04:01 AM
Active
Active
this issue, while others violently rubbed me the wrong way on various moral basis, seemed like uhm... really confusing instead.

i have to say that i LOVE, LOVE sanford greene's art, i've met the man, i own two sketchbooks, i've had kickass conversations with him at cons, he's super nice and amazingly talented. that said, man, SOMETHING happens to this man's art between the ultra fine pencils and the finished product. he's actually worked on the baby comic version (LOSH31C) and teen titans and i thought he did a great job on both. wow. i'm aghast at the inking and color on this. his line art is SO crisp, just check out his webpage, and it is really REALLY not suited for heavy handed inking.

ayla's uniform was switching between cuts and styles from panel to panel, again, i don't think that's his bad, he's got a character design background and always seems like a stickler for getting all the accessories right. some of the faces were just really bizarre and strange looking... i'm not sure if sanford's art + the way it was handled here was appropriate for this story. his art is very simplified with an animated feel to it, and this story had an attempted rape in it and death and some really close calls. so it was kind of like seeing the cute, kid-friendly animated series characters have really, really horrible things happen to them.

there are these weird globs of sweat or SOMETHING coming off of ikilles and ayla's face, i don't know if they were tears or sweat (i'm ASSUMING ikilles wasn't crying @__@?)?!! there didn't seem to be a lot of communication between the different artists working on this book, is all i can think, and i think that falls into the lap of the editor for bad organization.

check the coloring and inking mistakes on brin on page two? @__@;;!! some panels are SO NICE (the scene of vi and saturn holding gim and cham was well executed) but a lot are really bad (page 2, last panel?!!)!

final verdict? i think there were some time problems on this book. like seriously. sanford is known for being very fast, so if this was a last minute decision it makes sense that he was filling in because he'll get the job done, but i don't think it was handled well at all. for the most part, the pages with the fewest panels look the best (page 6 or page 8 are very nice).

manapul's style is very detailed, which means it takes the inker a long time to ink, and the colorist a long time to color. maybe this was a break issue issue but it just didn't come together well! also, when you have a team, it's not easy to switch gears and work with a totally different art style.

okay, enough about the art. story wise, this issue made me more confused than crisis. and crisis drives me to drink. ok not quite crisis confused...

like others, i thought those pirates were going to be cool characters, and they just turned out to be... weird and confusing! and gross and creepy smirk

i dug the biblical references, i didn't know what they were until this thread but i thought all of it sounded "alien" and appropriate.

norima's reaction is... weird, right? RIGHT? another shvaughn fake out, but is jo giving off pheremones? the problem with shooter's writing is that i'm never sure what's supposed to be intentionally weird to the reader and what's supposed to not be weird. are we supposed to be confused that some random cop loves jo? are we supposed to think this is someone from his past? or is this shooter writing another weird girl that makes no sense?

m'rissey did a lot of things that i thought querl should be more than capable of handling with his big ol' brain. i agree with lyle whiplash.

im glad m'rissey finally explained that he was doing, and that the story is finally moving ahead in some manner, there'sa fine line between moving ahead quickly and not showing the things that i thought were probably more important *like some of the teams actually in the act of coming home* RAMBLE FOREVER

#11207 07/24/08 05:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I've finally figured out what's bothering me.

It's not that Imra's in love with Ultra Boy.

It's not that Norima is in love with Ultra Boy.

It's that Jim Shooter is in love with Ultra Boy.

Threeboot Jo is quickly becoming my least favourite character and if we're going to start having everyone swooning over him now, I think I'll be wiping vomit off the pages of future issues.

#11208 07/24/08 07:34 AM
Active
Active
I had some favorite lines in this issue

"Cazhmir Please! Not In Front of the Crew. Not Again"

"I Just love the plump ones!"

"Let me guess --he said that our lawyers are all over him, our pr firm is standing by to release the vid-pix of his "vacation" on Sirenia, and that you need to apologize ever so politely and get out."

"Please! I have a wife, 3 kids, and a toy poodle."

and most favorite line...by Invisible Kid:

"You two said I was a wimp..A wuss! Well, I guess you don't have to be a "warrior" to make a difference, huh?...Go Florg yourselves."

Brin and Taz soooooooooooo had it coming!

Bring back the super-cousins
#11209 07/24/08 10:58 AM
Honorary
Honorary
I didn't mind Greene's art as much. JD Smith as the colorist for this title has been nonstop disappointment. too much water color action and effups to count. I say bring back Nathan Eyring, the previous colorist, Brian Miller or Moose Baumann. they can do fantastic futuristic settings w/out missing.

also, I second the Element Lad costume. nothing really changed. I would preferably like a green/yellow scheme. hope to see Sun Boy's new uni as well. here's a story for Shooter: while on a mission, Element Lad and Sun Boy fight off those Alien Life-Eradicators on some distant planet. after the altercation, the denizens of the planet congratulate the two, but they cannot tell which character is which, so Ulu Vakk (the Legion's new gay costume designer tongue ) changes EL's to avoid confusion. I blame my girlfriend for that bit, he he.

btw, thanks for the ups on the biblical references. I can spot those a mile away. studying theology is a hobby for me as well as comics and music.

for those kiddies out there who actually read this whole diatribe, a consolation prize from my home and native land:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8f23IRy554

How many times do I have to die?!?
#11210 07/24/08 11:14 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I seriously yearn for the return of Element Lad's dark-blue-and-green 'up arrow' costume.

Then again, I'd rather see it on that version of Jan anyway, not this new guy, whom I've gotten used to seeing in that cape.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#11211 07/24/08 11:53 AM
Deputy
Deputy
M'RISSEY: Seems to me Lyle could've played his role (they look so much alike) but I guess being Legion Business Manager isn't exactly a position of glamour. But it's all good if it frees Lightning Lad to finally lead and closes out the political plotlines for good.

LIGHT LASS: I couldn't figure out at first why Ayla didn't use her anti-grav powers when she was tied up -- but I guess it's because guns were aimed at her teammates, and if she moved they'd be blasted to smithereens. That's the only explanation I can think of. Being tied up shouldn't prevent Legionnaires who have energy, elemental or mystical powers from using them.

SATURN GIRL: The several Pieta scenes make her appear a Madonna of sorts (not the singer from Detroit). Shooter may be trying to endear her to the audience before she gets kicked out on her butt.

ULTRA BOY - Let me tell you from a girl's perspective -- we all know Jo is a big, fat jerk but we just *have to* to rub against that body. It's a biological mandate.

ELEMENT LAD - They have to do a lot better than a recolored costume...like maybe an actual spotlight story.

CHAMELEON: One-quarter of his body mass gone?! That's like a whole proty and then some. I always look forward to things that explore Durlan physiology, culture and powers.

It's truly unfortunate the art undermined the story because there was a lot going on.

#11212 07/24/08 01:37 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Two word summary: UGH-LEEE!

#11213 07/24/08 08:07 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Is he related to Jae, Jim or Stan Lee? hmmm

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#11214 07/25/08 12:02 AM
Active
Active
tromium: ohh good call on the m'rissey thing. actually, i thought IK was going to walk in and see him and go "HEY, MY LONG LOST BROTHER THAT I NEVER TALK ABOUT".

or i was hoping he's a clone from the past, sent form the future... to the past. then back to the future.

i thought those vines were canceling out their powers but then they were saying 'don't move or we'll kill you". so.. uh yeah, no one tell anyone that the legion can be defeated by the cunning use of ropes tied to rocks.

it does beg the question of how Cos had been juggling all that previously.

i've been reading super old issues for the podcast, and you know how there are anachronisms and the characters over explain what they're doing and their powers again and again? and people fall in love in the space of a panel? it felt like that, sort of campy logic going on. so i guess shooter somehow time traveled to retrieve his 14 year old writing skills in this.

but i'm still grateful that some annoying plot threads ended and something else can start.

#11215 07/25/08 09:58 AM
Active
Active
About M'Rissey, Urban legends Revealed tells the whole story :

here.

#11216 07/25/08 05:10 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally posted by rouge:

Hah! That is it exactly!

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

#11217 07/27/08 10:23 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by rouge:

That's beautiful. *sniff*

#11218 07/27/08 09:23 PM
Active
Active
now that you mention it, ultra boy does keep popping up without his shirt on....

#11219 07/29/08 09:47 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Mystery Lad wrote:

M'rissey: I devoutly hope that super-business managing isn't going to actually make this guy a member. Projectra's super-wealth was bad enough.

Shame on you for dissing super-business managing powers! You just *know* that super-organizational skills and super-knowing all the stuff M'rissey knows powers would be super useful! (I wouldn't mind having super-wealth powers myself, either)

I am actually groovin' to M'rissey! He may be the character find of 2008!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#11220 07/29/08 10:56 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I'll shoulder that shame. In my book, Karate Kid gets the one 'pseudo' super-power exemption.

Maybe M'rissey and an unknown super-wealthy wannabee Legionnaire can form a booster organization.

M'rissey the character find of 2008? Really? Just in the Legion, Giselle, Ikilles, Fruit Lad and Spy are more interesting to me than M'rissey.

Beyond LSH, there's the new guys in JSA, Young X-men (I know you're not reading that one), the Initiative...

What about M'rissey makes him so appealing to you? I'm not seeing it.

#11221 07/29/08 11:11 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
He fixed everything... I like that.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#11222 07/29/08 11:31 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Hee-hee-- hard to argue with that!

#11223 07/29/08 11:37 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I kinda need my own personal M'rissey... well, that's his appeal to me anyway. Of course I can see why he wouldn't appeal to a lot of folks... as a legionnaire anyway.

Maybe as "support staff"?

#11224 07/29/08 01:02 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I kinda need my own personal M'rissey... well, that's his appeal to me anyway.
I need my own personal Lester Spiffany / threeboot Projectra, 'cause a friend with super-wealth could really liven up my week.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#11225 07/30/08 08:13 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Ibn al-Nezumi:
biblical tidbits about Ultra Boy's etymology:

Jo Nah = Jonah, prophet of God
Ta Rshish = Tarshish, name of a village in Lebanon where Jonah wanted to travel
Ni Neveh = Nineveh, flourishing capital of the Assyrian empire where God sent Jonah to preach

don't know the reference for Norima yet.
I knew the Jo Nah reference (Ha-ha! Could there be anyone less prophet-like?), and caught the Nineveh one. I thought Ta Rshish referred to something, but had no idea what.

Thanks for supplying the answer! Let us know if you come up with comething for Norima.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,103
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Triad Orange
Triad Orange
Cargg
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star