Roll Call
0 members (), 35 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by thoth lad - 05/05/24 03:56 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/05/24 03:49 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 03:36 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 03:34 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:51 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:13 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:11 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Keith Giffen musings
#362417 03/28/08 10:03 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Stealth:
And I read superhero comics to ESCAPE from real life!
And, honestly, I believe escapism and character growth are NOT mutually exclusive concepts.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#362418 03/29/08 10:57 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I've always felt the death of the Empress was the best, or at the very least ONE of the best villain deaths I'd ever read in comics.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#362419 03/29/08 11:01 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
What I hate about the death of Emerald Empress is the way it undermines the kick-ass villainess we saw in the New Fatal Five arc...that Levitz had...built up from a decidedly average villainess.
[b]You like growth, I don't like growth, and never the twain shall meet.
[/b]
No comment.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#362420 03/29/08 11:26 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I've always felt the death of the Empress was the best, or at the very least ONE of the best villain deaths I'd ever read in comics.
I agree, and I also think she was made *much* more interesting in that storyline than she had been portrayed earlier on. Actually, come to think of it, this storyline does kind of foreshadow the more complex and nuanced motivations for villains that were typical of the 5YL Legion (though Levitz had kind of already done that with Universo).

#362421 03/29/08 01:39 PM
Active
Active
I know the death of Emerald Empress was a wonderful story.
But she must back to life like Dracula in the Hammer films, with the power of the eye of Ekron.
The sustitute Cera Kesh don't work for me....
And The Empress of the Archie Legion ...Sucks!
Maybe Sarya can rise again from the ashes, she looks beautiful in the Brave And Bold crossover.

From UK with glamour.
#362422 03/29/08 01:41 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally posted by Reboot:
[b]What I hate about the death of Emerald Empress is the way it undermines the kick-ass villainess we saw in the New Fatal Five arc...that Levitz had...built up from a decidedly average villainess.
[b]You like growth, I don't like growth, and never the twain shall meet.
[/b]
No comment. [/b]
After almost three years of me posting on Legion World, you STILL haven't figured out that I'm a walking contradiction? tongue

Moving on...

I do like growth, BUT ONLY within certain boundaries. And that's entirely to do with the personal issues I've been struggling with all my life.

I like female villains a lot. I often like them better than heroes of either gender. Female villains allow me to live out my darkest fantasies vicariously.

So I don't like it when female villains are humiliated, disfigured, killed, etc.

I hated it when the Emerald Empress had to face the consequences of her actions and was reduced to grovelling.

I hated it when Jim Starlin and Ron Marz had Nebula burned alive, zombified, and later turned into a bald-headed cyborg.

Getting away for a moment from comics, I hated that Alias ended with Irina Derevko getting killed instead of her surviving to resurface in the inevitable Alias reunion movie coming somewhere around the year 2016.

And getting away from villains, let's discuss heroines.

I hated Saturn Girl changing from pink-bikinied-hussy-with-Farrah-hair to conservative-wife-and-mother. It's a very realistic change, and that's why I hate it; I'd rather slit my wrists than let that happen to me.

I hated the Sean/Shvaughn fiasco. I've already argued at length in another thread about how I think TMK (but mostly K, more of that later) handled a sensitive subject insensitively, so here's the other reason I hate it: because one of the symptoms of my the mental illness I suffer from is that I get @%#@$%ing FREAKED OUT whenever someone (in fiction AND in real life) turns out to be the opposite of what they seem. Strong, self-confident, ass-kicking girl turns out to be weak, foolish, needy, sexually confused boy -- DO THE MATH!

Which brings us full circle back to Keith Giffen. I find his characters weirdly sexless, both as an artist and a writer. While the Sean/Schvaughn idea came from the Bierbaums, the barbaric and ignorant insensitivity of its execution stinks of Giffen. Obviously he's got issues of his own and they've taken a heavy toll on him (he's only in his 50s but he looks like he's over 100) but I don't sympathize -- which is also part of my mental illness, a tendency to dehumanize people I don't like. And I don't like Keith Giffen. Don't like his art, don't like his writing, don't like his nihilism, don't like his cynicism, don't like his sarcasm, don't like the influence he's had on superhero comics.

So you all keep on loving Giffen and his work, and I'll keep on hating him and his work.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#362423 03/31/08 12:29 PM
Active
Active
you'll hate him more after reading this...I H8 KEITH GRIFFEN!

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2008/0...inal-weeks-of-countdown-to-final-crisis/

Bring back the super-cousins
#362424 04/01/08 09:02 AM
Active
Active
It's Pathetic!
I don't have words.....

From UK with glamour.
#362425 04/01/08 09:48 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Unfortunately, it looks like Giffen will have another shot at Val in his Wildstorm crossover. And KK is not the only Legionnaire he's expressed hatred or contempt for in the past.

DC should give Shooter (KK's creator) a shot a one of Giffen's characters -- but I doubt he'd be willing to stoop so low.

#362426 04/01/08 10:20 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
The only part that didn't work for me was the art. After the clean lines of Lightle, whoever did that next arc made all of the female characters, including Sarya, look like puffy-faced slightly-overweight square-headed men in drag.

Had that storyline been penciled differently, I would rank it right up there with the very best.

I thought it was a fitting point for Sarya to reach, where she was *tired* of being the villain of the day and chose to leave that life behind.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#362427 04/01/08 11:48 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Invisible Man:
Right you are. Lone Cowboy Giffen is best with one shots (preferably out of any continuity).
With a good - and I mean GOOD - Editor - that man is a genius indeed...

Which is exactly what I think about guys like Millar & Bendis. Sadly Marvel lets them do whatever they want and it ends in disaster.

#362428 04/01/08 12:08 PM
Active
Active
I liked The Magic Wars (art and story), I liked the death of EE (art and story), I liked the sensor girl redesign and I loved V4.

I think Giffen is one of the most underrated comics creator, but I agree that he needs an editor, in order to allow him to focus. I liked Reign of The Zodiac, but the first issue was confusing like hell.

#362429 04/01/08 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Set:
[b] I've always felt the death of the Empress was the best, or at the very least ONE of the best villain deaths I'd ever read in comics.
The only part that didn't work for me was the art. After the clean lines of Lightle, whoever did that next arc made all of the female characters, including Sarya, look like puffy-faced slightly-overweight square-headed men in drag.
[/b]
That arc was drawn by Keith Giffen. smile

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,130
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
walkwithcrowds
walkwithcrowds
Glasgow, Scotland
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star