Roll Call
1 members (idle, idle, idle, idle, idle), 42 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What power is missing from the Legion?
#16234 03/08/08 09:32 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Out of all the Legionnaires we have there has to be one power that is missing.

Sonic scream came to mind but then there is Tyroc.

Power absorption? Ok a Legion member doesn't have it but Earth Man does.

What is a obvious missing power?

Re: What power is missing from the Legion?
#16235 03/08/08 09:42 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
No Earth-manipulators in the Legion itself. There's Elysion and The Mess, but that's about it.

Actually, I'd consider giving Blok a power along those lines.

#16236 03/08/08 09:46 PM
Active
Active
i think a person who really can control the weather is missing, some like storm..

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#16237 03/08/08 09:51 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by kidflash2fan:
i think a person who really can control the weather is missing, some like storm..
There's Storm Boy or Nightwind, but neither has really been depicted as a member (both were members during the five-year gap).

#16238 03/08/08 09:59 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Other than long-deceased Jungle King, there isn't really anyone who controls animals.

#16239 03/08/08 10:12 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Other than Tellus and perhaps White Witch, has the Legion ever had a telekinetic?

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#16240 03/08/08 10:15 PM
Candidate
Candidate
I always thought Infectious Lass could be fleshed out some if she were also able to heal, as well as infect. So, I guess the legion could use a *Healer.*

After Spark's powers were altered to gravity-nullification, (during the Archie Legion-run,) she decided to set out to get her lightning powers back. At that time there was a new artist on board, and things got confusing for me. It seemed to me that the way it was depicted her new power seemed to be more *light* based, than lightning. But that was never explored. So the legion is missing someone with *Light* based powers.

Something else else I always thought might be interesting in regards to the twins, was that *Static* would be possible with their powers. *Static/Friction* might be worth exploring either in a new character, or as an unexplored variation on the lightning power.

On a lighter note, there ought to be a hero called Kama-Sutra Girl. Maybe the Static hero can be called Thunder-Thighs, able to create Static Energy between her thighs.

#16241 03/08/08 10:19 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
Other than Tellus and perhaps White Witch, has the Legion ever had a telekinetic?
Long-time Legion secret weapon Kid Psycho was a telekinetic.

#16242 03/08/08 10:25 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by jesjos:
So the legion is missing someone with *Light* based powers.
Sun Boy's powers were originally primarily a matter of light generation, so he could easily have been taken down that route. Instead, writers have tended to emphasize the "heat" aspect of his powers, even making him a fire manipulator at times.

#16243 03/08/08 10:30 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by jesjos:
I always thought Infectious Lass could be fleshed out some if she were also able to heal, as well as infect. So, I guess the legion could use a *Healer.*
i think the lack of a healer is a good thing that way when the pretend that kk is the hands down most popular legionnaire and oh i don't know kk kid has his arm bitten off by...um a crazy matter eater lad? and vanishes for a few issue you know where he is..regrowing an arm, psychical therapy and such. that leaves it open for some of the less popular legionaries to have some screen time now this wouldn't mean if they got a healer that this would happen all the time, it just would happen a lot, maybe not at first but after a while it would just be a plot device like the transporter gates and other things that have gone that way, the healer would almost have to with every away team sent to a do a hard job witch would make things like "crap LL is down get the healer,ok he's up again." the lack of a healer make it so they have to fight smart not hard.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions
#16244 03/08/08 10:55 PM
Active
Active
XS was the Legion's first speedster, but she's gone with the rest of the reboot, same with Gates's teleportation. Wasn't Kinetix telekinetic? But apparently, we're talking about characters from its entire history, not just, say, the current lineup.

I suppose mind control would be a totally absent power, though Imra may have occasionally displayed that as well.

But I guess you'd have to go with really "out there" powers to find ones that haven't been represented by a Legionnaire or one of their allies, like super-boogers, acid piss or giant flapping Dumbo ears (complete with adhesive projectile wax). laugh

#16245 03/08/08 11:13 PM
Active
Active
Water manipulation?

#16246 03/08/08 11:43 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Teronna:
Water manipulation?
Dunno if that's an obvious missing power, but it's certainly missing. Kinda goes with all the 'elemental' powers (earth, wind, water) unaccounted for except for fire maniplation.

Though water manipulation's potentially an awesome power, I could see that character having "Aquaman Syndrome"--having a power that might make it hard to fit him/her into the group dynamic and into many stories. I'd also fear for that character's life (a la Chemical King) when the writers don't know how to fit him or her in.

#16247 03/08/08 11:45 PM
Active
Active
Or, I just realized, if he/she can only manipulate existing water...what would happen in the vaccuum of space?

#16248 03/08/08 11:46 PM
Active
Active
Oh yeah...and you could make an argument that Polar Boy's power is a type of water manipulation as it would have to involve affecting moisture, albeit in his signature manner.

#16249 03/08/08 11:51 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Teronna:
Or, I just realized, if he/she can only manipulate existing water...what would happen in the vaccuum of space?
Well, lots of Legionnaire powers would be ineffective under certain circumstances, so I doubt that's not a consideration. I mean, for example, what good would Shadow Lass's powers be on a world devoid of any light? The Legionnaires don't have to slug it out in space all that often, and when they do, they simply send those who'd be most effective in that situation.

#16250 03/09/08 12:23 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Random power sets we haven't seen.

Someone able to reshape / manipulate matter. Element Lad can turn one element into another, Chemical King can move stuff along chemical lines (making something acidic), Chameleon Boy can change *his own* shape, Life Lass can animate unliving things, but nobody can point at the ground and cause it to rise up into a box around the bad-guy, and then fix it back after the SPs show up.

Someone able to control interatomic bonds, causing matter to disintegrate, or broken items to restore to their original shape / condition. (Cleans-Up-After-Battle-Kid!) To make such a character more versatile, perhaps he / she can also affect living things, causing their systems to break down (they go into shock, and then die, and then dissolve away!) or, more usefully, to heal injuries.

Luck manipulation. Able to 'hex' foes and 'bless' allies. Or just insanely lucky on a personal level, and sometimes an ally benefits from being close when the deadly thing misfires, or the bad guy suffers harm when the ceiling above him picks that moment to collapse on his head.

Someone specifically geared around emotion control. It could be one emotion, Fear, or the emotion controller might be able to inspire the team with Hope, or cause someone to fall into Love, or succumb to Despair, or be consumed with Anger.

Someone whose touch causes pain, or pleasure, or either. Able to incapacitate a foe with shooting pains, or numb the pain of an ally to allow them to continue fighting, and with other applications off the field of battle.

Spatial manipulation. Suddenly the bad-guys know what it is like to be running and running and never getting anywhere, as the corridor keeps expanding between them and the space-folder they are trying to reach (or contracting behind them as they try to flee, causing the space-folder and allies to be on their heels in a jiffy). Could also do other tricks, like reaching out and punching someone across the room, or causing a foes blows to never reach an ally.

Animal control. A limited form of telepathy, or some sort of 'super-pheremones-of-SPACE!' that allows the hero to communicate with and control nonsentient life. Might have one specific and potent 'pet' when deployed. Some sort of Genanian Dusk Tiger or a Horliant Winged Serpent or something cool.

Summoning stuff. Whether 'stuff' is strange little extradimensional imp-creatures or intangible spirits or alien beasties, the hero is able to call forth creatures to fight for them. Perhaps they have a mystical horn that they blow that summons Einherjar. Or a box that unleashes all sorts of wraithly spirits. Or, in a less gear-specific interpretation, they can draw circles and conjure up all sorts of things, and even *people,* allowing this Legionnaires to summon other Legionnaires to their person, and perhaps even create teleportation circles, force field circles and scrying circles, becoming a full-blown magic-user.

Music and Song-related powers. Songs to disorient, songs to charm, songs to soothe, songs to enrage, songs that can shatter glass, or steel, or internal organs! This character might be an earth-native, but not a human, being of a delphinoid 'uplift' project, and 'swimming' through the air with their Flight Ring, sending out all sorts of song-effects.

Communications / imagery. This person might appear to be a bit of a wimp, the 'super-translator,' until their power develops to affect the language centers of foes, causing them to become unable to communicate, and, eventually, unable to even move, their brains sending out incomprehensible gobbledigook to their bodies, and collapsing in spasming heaps, while 'Translator Kid' stands there lecturing them on how their power isn't 'weak.'

Energy Absorbtion. This hero wouldn't start the day with powers (although, on a team with Sun Boy, Lightning Lad, etc, they sure aren't lacking for a pick-me-up!), but the first time someone sticks a blaster in their face, they've got super-powers! More usefully, their power works at range. The dudes pointing blasters will be dismayed to find out that their blasters are drained. More dismayed when they try to drop the blast doors and escape in their shuttle, to find that the doors have lost power, and their shuttle isn't letting them in, since their comm-link to the shuttle has cut off all of a sudden. Oh, and there go the lights...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#16251 03/09/08 09:45 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Set:
Random power sets we haven't seen.

Someone able to reshape / manipulate matter. Element Lad can turn one element into another, Chemical King can move stuff along chemical lines (making something acidic), Chameleon Boy can change *his own* shape, Life Lass can animate unliving things, but nobody can point at the ground and cause it to rise up into a box around the bad-guy, and then fix it back after the SPs show up.
That's basically what Kinetix does, isn't it?

Communications / imagery. This person might appear to be a bit of a wimp, the 'super-translator,' until their power develops to affect the language centers of foes, causing them to become unable to communicate, and, eventually, unable to even move, their brains sending out incomprehensible gobbledigook to their bodies, and collapsing in spasming heaps, while 'Translator Kid' stands there lecturing them on how their power isn't 'weak.'
I like this idea alot!

Energy Absorbtion. This hero wouldn't start the day with powers (although, on a team with Sun Boy, Lightning Lad, etc, they sure aren't lacking for a pick-me-up!), but the first time someone sticks a blaster in their face, they've got super-powers! More usefully, their power works at range. The dudes pointing blasters will be dismayed to find out that their blasters are drained. More dismayed when they try to drop the blast doors and escape in their shuttle, to find that the doors have lost power, and their shuttle isn't letting them in, since their comm-link to the shuttle has cut off all of a sudden. Oh, and there go the lights...
That's basically the power set that Dynamo Boy claimed when he joined the team, but it would be nice to see him back actually having the abilities.

#16252 03/09/08 02:30 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Originally posted by Set:
[qb]Someone able to reshape / manipulate matter.
That's basically what Kinetix does, isn't it?
Ah, I didn't know that. That character is during the time when I didn't read the book, and her Wiki entry makes it sound like she had a half-dozen different power sets, went mad a time or two and then turned into a Terrorform. I gave up on reading the entry, since she may or may not have been a Legionnaire, may or may not have had powers, may or may not have been a villain, may or may not have been the Emerald Empress and may or may not have been an anime catgirl. Reboot stuff makes my head spin. smile

[And I get that old school characters like Star Boy are pretty darn convoluted as well, but I was there for that stuff, and it happened over 30 years, not over the three years I took off!]

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#16253 03/09/08 03:29 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Kinetix was actually pretty cool when they introduced her, but they screwed her up really badly...

#16254 03/09/08 09:33 PM
Leader
Leader
As far as finding new power, I think you'd almost have to look to new and developing sciences in order to find something unique. Or, like Clive pointed out, think outside the box.

Looking to the past for inspiration, there might still be a myth or two that hasn't been overturned.

#16255 03/09/08 11:39 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Ram Boy:
As far as finding new power, I think you'd almost have to look to new and developing sciences in order to find something unique.
The power to alter the DNA of any living thing, including themself. BAM, the villain they were fighting is now a bunny, or has a genetic mutation that leaves them without limbs. There are some nasty genetic diseases out there.

#16256 03/09/08 11:44 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
The Legion is severely lacking a character with the ability to cause people to act in stereotypical fashion of the gender opposite to that which they belong!

Fortunately, the LMB has such a character!

#16257 03/09/08 11:51 PM
Active
Active
Come to think of it, there are a lot of powers the LMB has that the Legion is deprived of.

#16258 03/09/08 11:52 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Seriously, though, I always thought Incredible Girl from the Bits columns had a pretty cool sounding power. She could reverse the motion of objects.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,107
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Autochef
Autochef
Seattle, WA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star