Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 33 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/06/24 05:06 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/06/24 04:38 PM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Ann Hebistand - 05/06/24 01:30 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 11:28 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 06:42 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by razsolo - 05/06/24 05:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:05 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mark Waid discusses 3boot in Interview & New Interview June 2021
#364651 04/27/09 03:41 PM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Mark Waid has given a (long) interview with AICN, covering many topics. One of them is his run on the 3boot, where among other things he reveals they had worked out the origin:
Barry Kitson and I worked out their entire world, including origin material you'll never see, and (at the suggestion of writer Tom Peyer) rethought the Legion as less of a super-team and more of a political movement. And we got some mileage out of it, and I like what we did.
The interview is here; scroll about halfway down for the Legion material (when you see the Legion covers).

Re: Mark Waid discusses 3boot in Interview
#364652 04/27/09 05:44 PM
Active
Active
Also reveals that DC didn't tell them about the Lightning Saga Legion until they were about to be published, so that stinks.

However, threeboot suffered from more than DC pulling the rug out from underneath them early on, I don't care how well Barry and Waid had the threeboot worked out, they just didn't consistently deliver. Stories were drawn out and unexciting, characters unlikeable, and many of the themes just were "Legion." For a guy who loves the Legion so much, he sure missed the mark about what is appealing about them.

Long Live the Legion!
#364653 04/28/09 05:50 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
I wish Mark Waid nothing but the best, but I take issue with the part of the interview where he states the Waid/Kitson team had planned a total reboot to the Legion series. If I remember correctly, they maintained right up until the first issue that it wouldn't be a reboot! He states numerous times in the interview that management (both DC and Marvel) misdirected or flat out lied to him in regard to various titles, but isn't that what happened by himself to us Legion readers?

The TMK reboot and recent WaK reboot may have garnished a few fans, but alienated more than they gained of the long timers, and fractured the Legion continuity to rubble. Their Legion legacy is a few good scattered tales (not enough to justify the rebooting) at the expense of a convoluted dump heap.

It seems to me there is little choice but to return to the Silver Age characters, with or without Superboy, in order to solidify some sort of reader base. Good luck to the next creative team sorting all this mess out.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#364654 04/28/09 07:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks for sharing, Pete.

I don't hate the guy, and do not wish him ill, but it'll take more than his 90s heyday to wish him well in the comics world. I want to see the comics biz put out the best material it can, not fill rack space with veterans who are just coasting. I'd rather see room made for new blood.

I can't really say I feel sorry for him. Blaming Lightning Saga for his own book's fizzle seems like a giant cop-out. He bungled that on his own, as far as I can see.

He had a free hand to do a reboot - how could he expect it would not further convolute the Legion? There is nothing he did that could not have been a completely new series.

All he has shown is his lack of imagination when it comes to reviving the Legion (Again - considering his role in the '94 boot). Maybe he's one of those fans who clutches when he gets the chance to do his favorites.

(Kid Q - your use of "TMK Reboot" makes me wonder if you are referring to 1989 (TMK) or 1994 (the Reboot, which did not involve TMK)).

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#364655 04/28/09 08:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
(Moved to Visionaries)

#364656 04/30/09 05:03 AM
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
I wish Mark Waid nothing but the best, but I take issue with the part of the interview where he states the Waid/Kitson team had planned a total reboot to the Legion series. If I remember correctly, they maintained right up until the first issue that it wouldn't be a reboot! He states numerous times in the interview that management (both DC and Marvel) misdirected or flat out lied to him in regard to various titles, but isn't that what happened by himself to us Legion readers?
You are not remembering correctly. I was at the panel at the Baltimore Comic Con where the details were first announced back in September 2004. It was always said to be a reboot. Here's proof; a first hand account of the panel . And my own notes from the panel (I posted this somewhere, but I'm not sure where) said this: "It is a reboot; although Mark did say there is an in-continuity reason for it."

#364657 04/30/09 10:52 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Well, thanks for setting me straight PR on the Waid reboot. I haven't seen that article before. Still, I want to say that there was a lot of concern about a reboot at the time by posters here on Legion World, but TPTB downplayed it to be more of a modernizing, or at least that's how my ever increasing senility interpreted it. My apologies to Mr. Waid.

Kent - I was indeed referring to the 5YL version done by TMK. It was a radical change to the previous Legion version, and even though 5YL was supposed to be a future extension of it, I contend that the characters, setting, and basic premise and spirit of the series was changed so much, I consider it a reboot.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#364658 05/01/09 10:08 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I seemed to recall *someone* insisting it was not really a reboot. I thought it was Waid, too.

KQ, 5YL was certainly a departure, but it doesn't meet my definition of a reboot, any more than I consider Cockrum a reboot of 60s Legion. Maybe we need a new term for something less-than-a-boot.

In any case, I do hope Waid does write good things in the future, but I hope he stays away from having creative control over of Legion (but occassional fill-ins or even Elseworlds would be okay).

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#364659 05/26/09 09:21 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
5YL was certainly a departure, but it doesn't meet my definition of a reboot, any more than I consider Cockrum a reboot of 60s Legion. Maybe we need a new term for something less-than-a-boot.
I tend to use "Relaunch" whether it's a new #1 or just a marked creative departure that doesn't involve restarting a property from scratch.

Pete Ross #962471 10/29/18 08:25 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Guys, I wasn't sure where to post this, but here's an article the folks at Super-Bloggers put together regarding Mark Waid's legal battle with that racist, homophobic hack Richard Meyer and the GoFundMe campaign Mark has going to help with it

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-lsb-supports-diversity.html

Pete Ross #1003713 06/17/21 10:48 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Mark Waid interview at Word Balloon podcast discussing a wide range of topics including LSH. He wouldn't want to write LSH again. Likes Brainy & Mon-el. Seemed to hint he might be working on a Brainiac 5 story (vague - maybe just playing around or for some guest appearance?). DC editorial hated the reboot.... still have an hour to go on the interview.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Pete Ross #1003716 06/17/21 01:11 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Thanks for the link, FC.

Just to keep the links together from a thread perspective, here's the Waid interview from the Legion Clubhouse podcast where he says the same about Brainy & Mon.

Regarding the Lightning Legion & the fact that it basically undermined the threeboot: he, "hit the roof."

There's also a bit of a sobering discussion about the nature and viability of the Legion in that interview. Recommend if you haven't listened to it yet.

https://majorspoilers.com/2017/04/13/legion-clubhouse-006-macguffin-legion-mark-waid/

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Pete Ross #1003721 06/17/21 01:18 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
i'm more of a reader than a listener, but I am curious. Thanks FC, GL

DC editorial hated the reboot.... huh? I mean, their editorial decision (zero Hour) caused the Reboot, so...

Pete Ross #1003722 06/17/21 01:22 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Its DC Editorial, so shrug

laugh

EDIT
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
DC editorial hated the reboot.... still have an hour to go on the interview.

I was listening to this and if its the same section of the interview, I think he was referring to the 5YL work due to the discussion around Giffen. Did I mishear that?

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 06/17/21 02:58 PM.

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Pete Ross #1003731 06/17/21 06:37 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It was 5YL - I've got reboot on the mind! - Waid really admired Giffen's vision for 5YL and the Bierbaums' dense scripting, ahead of its time.

What he said about viability of the Legion: that it had been one long continuous story, then it got disrupted again and again, essentially lost the magic (my words, not his).

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Pete Ross #1003737 06/17/21 07:50 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Yep - And I don't disagree with that. It's like when you have a pane of glass that breaks - any way to give it the same shape requires your to break it into smaller squares, so you still have a square of glass, but its vastly different and there is a mess everywhere.

And I'm shocked about the management not liking it; that style of story was all the rage, and they obviously had the intent to do the 'younger' Legion based on what was said there, as well as the separate academy book.

Too bad, really.

Pete Ross #1003818 06/19/21 09:15 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
One other interesting note about the interview with Waid.

The interviewer asks point blank about how he feels about the Bendis version of the Legion. Waid is very complimentary to Bendis in a very general way.

However he is much more specific about his praise when it comes to re-envisioning the Legion - "If you want to re-imagine the Legion as diverse group, this is the way to do it." Which I don't disagree with, but I think Sook's designs factor in on that aspect of it more than Bendis' writing. Waid specifically did NOT comment on Bendis' story arcs for the main title or Future State.

Pete Ross #1003822 06/19/21 03:11 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
True, Sook's designs are definitely diverse wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,169
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Caliente
Caliente
NorCal
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star