Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Did anybody care when...
#17043 06/22/05 05:52 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
1. Shrinking Violet suddenly changed from sweet young shy thang to a tough-talking "maybe" lesbian? (from LEGION 311 to the Five Years Later stories)? faint
2. Chameleon Boy's fling with Princess Elwinda (ADVENTURE 376, 1/69) fizzled before he got a chance to ask her out on a date? shake
3. The reboot which caused all the excellent work down on LEGION and LEGIONNAIRES to go down the toilet? hmmm
4. DC hired artists who thought drawing stick figures with kindergarten art was the expression of brilliant ideas? (Note: Jason Armstrong, Jason Pearson, Olivier Coipel) tongue
5. Someone else could think up their own suggestions to this topic? laugh

Re: Did anybody care when...
#17044 06/22/05 06:00 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by BrianT:

2. Chameleon Boy's fling with Princess Elwinda (ADVENTURE 376, 1/69) fizzled before he got a chance to ask her out on a date? shake
Actually, they kind of skipped the dating phase and were about to get married when Cham was teleported back to the Legion's dimension.

I never really bought the "we sealed the dimensional barrier with a force field so you could never get back" notion though.

#17045 06/22/05 08:08 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Hey there, Eryk,

Why couldnt Brainy have unsealed the force-field in a later adventure?

Why didnt Cham just pick up where he left off when he met Princess P's friend, Janice Warren?(ACTION 383)

WHY????????????????????

- BrianT (aka Sentimental Lad)

#17046 06/22/05 08:24 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
1. I thought it made sense that after going through a traumatic experience, Vi would totally change her personality. (In hindsight, it doesn't make quite as much sense -- perhaps Vi should have had some counseling.) As for the lesbian angle ... perhaps that explained her long-distance romance with Duplicate Boy.

2. I felt sorry for Cham when I read the story. But it does seem odd that he never tried to go back to Nadir. Perhaps it was just a summer fling.

3. I had taken a hiatus from the Legion before the reboot (the stories weren't that great, IMO), so, no, I didn't mind. I thought it was just another example of DC breaking something that didn't need to be fixed, as they had done so often to the Legion since 1985.

4. Coipel started out rough, but progressed into a fine artist as he went along. I'm not that familiar with Armstrong and Pearson's work.

5. No.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#17047 06/22/05 09:13 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Hey wanders,

You mean u never read any of the Legion of Super-Heroes during the 5 years later arc (Pearson did pencils over Giffen's layouts from when Giffen cut back on his art (after ish 24 or 25, i think) until the climactic tale when Earth blew up (LEGION 38, which ironically was Pearson's best as well as his swan song)

Armstrong first did a Legion tale in issue 71 where Andromeda was suffering from Kryptonite poisoning or something and Brainy gave her an antidote (about her learning proper humility or something). Jason then went on to draw the Legion from issue 100 until the Dark Circle conclusion in number 108.

Ring any bells now, dude?

#17048 06/22/05 09:45 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I always thought it would have been interesting to draw some sort of connection between Nadir as an other-dimensional world and Orando's later shift to another dimension. Like maybe Zymyr's technology not only pushed Orando through the dimensional barrier, but into the past as well, so that Nadir was actually a future version of Orando.

#17049 06/22/05 09:47 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Fantastic theory, eryk!!!!

Maybe the Gil'Dishpan and their technology may re-surface in the current Legion book.

- BrianT

#17050 06/22/05 10:08 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
They've already been mentioned once, in #5. Apparently for all their high falutin' technology they haven't mastered the use of a chair yet...

Zymyr

#17051 06/23/05 09:08 AM
Active
Active
Brian:
Don't forget the ugly legionnaires of Lee Moder works.
And The Empress....what a nasty character!

From UK with glamour.
#17052 06/23/05 03:24 PM
Substitute
Substitute
1. I loved the change in Violet - not because it was a better character but because it was a change that made sense and was interesting.

2. Didn't care.

3. If you mean the one that resulted in the current continuity, I cared. And I like it a hell of a lot better than the last version.

4. I cared because I like all 3 of those artists. I also cared when DC hired artists who thought the Legionnaires were Archies or Campbell's Soup Kids because it sucked.

5. I cared when Phantom Girl was revealed to have died in the 5 year gap.

#17053 06/23/05 08:54 PM
BrianT,

I read most of the issues you mention. I guess the art didn't ring a bell with me, either pro or con.

I'm probably in the minority of liking Lee Moder's work. His figures were thin, but his faces were distinct and expressive.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#17054 06/24/05 07:51 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Hey Wanders,

Re: Lee Moder

I agree with what u say about the guy. His best work appeared in:

Issue 83 (the climax where Violet is affected by Leviathan's death, turns around and is instantly a host for the Emerald Eye.)

Issue 90 (all those fab closeups of Dr Psycho and his exploitation of Saturn Girl)

Issue 91 (when Live Wire and Saturn Girl are briefly reunited in the timestream and Garth could sense something's up)

Issue 96 (the fantastic rendering of a tesrful Imra having been caught out via Shvaughn's sharp observations.)

There was life still in Moder's pen - a pity it came so late in the piece.

#17055 06/25/05 01:46 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
1. I thought Violet's transformation into a tough girl was a natural reaction to what she had been through, after the sens-tank.

2. I do think it was odd that Cham just totally dropped Elwinda. I suppose he figured that his life on Earth as a Legionnaire was pretty good after all. Plus, he went on to meet such cuties as Janice Warren and Ambassador Jeryl

3. I was in denial about the reboot for months. Finally, I came to embrace it, but I'm still a preboot man. That's *my* Legion.

4.The Legion has had a whole roller coaster ride of artists. There was that really dry spell between Jim Sherman and Keith Giffen, which had more impact on the series than any of the artists you mentioned. Jason Pearson's art over Giffen's layouts was pretty obscure, I have to admit. Jason Armstrong was actually a good designer and storyteller, but his details were lacking. I liked Coipel's kinda weird dirty artwork when he debuted, but I preferred his more elegant and sexy artwork as he progressed on the series.

5.Legion World is full of topics that fall under the category of "Did anybody care when..." but I appreciate this one! You seem to be a rather prolific poster, BrianT. Fun!

#17056 06/25/05 01:50 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Lee Moder was really good, overall, but.... some of the figures were way too skinny and some of the faces were too ugly. Shrinking Violet should never NEVER look ugly, and Moder did that.

#17057 06/25/05 02:12 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
1. I thought Violet's transformation into a tough girl was a natural reaction to what she had been through, after the sens-tank.

2. I do think it was odd that Cham just totally dropped Elwinda. I suppose he figured that his life on Earth as a Legionnaire was pretty good after all. Plus, he went on to meet such cuties as Janice Warren and Ambassador Jeryl

3. I was in denial about the reboot for months. Finally, I came to embrace it, but I'm still a preboot man. That's *my* Legion.

4.The Legion has had a whole roller coaster ride of artists. There was that really dry spell between Jim Sherman and Keith Giffen, which had more impact on the series than any of the artists you mentioned. Jason Pearson's art over Giffen's layouts was pretty obscure, I have to admit. Jason Armstrong was actually a good designer and storyteller, but his details were lacking. I liked Coipel's kinda weird dirty artwork when he debuted, but I preferred his more elegant and sexy artwork as he progressed on the series.

5.Legion World is full of topics that fall under the category of "Did anybody care when..." but I appreciate this one! You seem to be a rather prolific poster, BrianT. Fun!

#17058 06/25/05 02:15 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Its hard to believe i only first logged on a couple of days ago, Sketch Lad!

Nightcrawler got me onto the discussion groups and since then, i have been churning out some hopefully thought-provoking tidbits.

By the way, im assuming that u like my commentary from your "fun" comment.

If thats the case, then thanks loads, bud

#17059 06/25/05 02:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I like that you're posting about all kinds of keen stuff from Legion history. The more the merrier!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Neemers
Neemers
Oregon
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star