Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 09:32 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/03/24 05:30 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 40 of 43 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 43
Re: Survivor: Marzal
#375609 11/12/08 08:41 PM
Deputy
Deputy
While I do think Fox was a stronger player than Lardy, due to what we saw posted on this thread and from being his teammate, I was never on Lardy's team and do not know what he did behind the scenes to help his tribe win challenges, can any of his teammates or Lardy himself make a case for him and his play, because I sure would like a reason to vote for him, from my view the only reason Lardy stayed in the game was because of his alliances and not his play, sorry Lardy.

As for Fox, lets give him credit, he was a Player, he played Davy, he played Lance, he played me, and say what you will but he did play the game, whats the old saying don't hate the player hate the game, can anyone out there give me a reason not to vote for Fox, because I'm willing to listen.

In hindsight I see that the strongest players do not always survive in Suvivor, but the strongest alliance will get you pretty far in the game, you guys were the strongest team I'll give you that, because of your pact so early in the game, I don't think we started to think that way until Quislet was voted off after the tribe switch, and we were down to two original N'Hura members, and it was far to late for us, because by then original St'Balla had the numbers and the votes, we just didn't know it yet.

It's just to bad that Davy did not make it to the final two, my decision would have been an easy one, as he would have gotten my vote, after Ex put the leader label on him, and when he thought I picked him up in the tribe switch, and then told me to pick up Lard Lad, I was aware of the alliance between the two of them, as Davy was the strongest player and wore the leader tag, It made him my number 1 target, but he survived my attempt, due to the votes I got from my so-called teammates LOL!, while I did suspect Novelty was in fact Nemisis Kid, I did not have a clue about Fox as he convinced me that he was 100% on my side, looking back the thought crossed my mind to reach out to Gamara as he seemed to be the outsider of his tribe, I wonder if that would have worked, in the end it took Davy to get Davy out of the game it seems.

And to Exnihil, I just want to say thank you for the game, N'Hura was cursed it seemed from the beginning, KenAustin had to leave for personal reasons, and I to had a family crisis, though I chose to stay in the game because it was the only thing that kept my mind off of my family tragedy, I threw myself into the game and the challenges, for a time it was the only thing I had to look forward to, as the other thing I had to think about was kind of hard to come to terms with, and perhaps I threw a little to much of myself into the game, and I hope I did not make any enemies along the way.

Lone Wolf

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
#375610 11/13/08 08:09 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Well, guys, it's looks as though Novelty might have gotten caught in one of those infamous Marzalian time anomalies on his way to Tribal Council.

Hopefully, he'll be back in time for the vote, but for now... Lard Lad... Floating Foxlike Creature... it's time for your final statements. You should address the questions and concerns of the jury, and say whatever final words you'd like to impart prior to the vote.

The floor is yours...

#375611 11/13/08 09:48 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
First, I'll address your questions and comments:

Originally posted by Lance's realm:
I have a question: do either of the finalists already own a copy of Adventure #247?
I don't, and I don't think Foxy does either.

Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
OK, my vote is up for grabs. The player who can most creatively ask for my vote (in a way that tickles my fancy) gets it. Will it be in song? or a limerick (dare I hope)? Maybe a nice drawing?

I do expect something from both of you.
(Okay, since I'm going first--Foxy, please don't click on the link below, so you can come up with your OWN bribe!)

So none of the above exactly, Quis! I offer this . Tickled? laugh

[end part one]

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#375612 11/13/08 10:05 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Next, to address those two who went after Foxy particularly hard:

Fox, I appreciate your disclosure. I was actually going to vote for you - until your statement. I feel you mislead me and Lone Wolf. Now, I will likely cast my vote for Lardy, simply because he never mislead me, unless you can convince me otherwise.

I am agreeing with Davy here - if there was a way to vote for neither of you, I would take it.
Originally posted by Gamara:
I agree, it appears that Foxy was a tiny bit more, well, foxy in his play. He was willing to do what it took to get to the final 2. While that is sometimes a necessity in a situation like this, and may even be viewed as being a clever, strong player who will do what it takes to come out on top, I still prefer to vote in favor of someone who managed to get here without playing dirty at all. Sorry Foxy, but it looks like Lardy will get my vote as well.
Look, I don't want to take your votes away from me, but Foxy was just playing the game really, really hard. Don't think for a second that my game was somehow cleaner! I may not have played the two of you particularly hard, but I played many of the other Survivors pretty hard and pretty brutally.

Just ask Sketch Lad, Quislet and Novelty!

I told Sketch Lad that we were going after Gamara in the first tribal and blindsided him instead--I was at the forefront of that blindside!

Quis? I basically guilted him into turning on his teammate Dedman and told him he'd be safe in the next tribal because we'd be voting out...Gamara!

Novelty? I told him that if he joined us in voting off...Gamara...at the Final Five that I would join "his alliance" (making him think he was in with Foxy) to vote off whomever they would target in the Final Four. Who was voted off in the Final Four? Novelty!

Yes, Foxy made some "foxlike" moves, but I was far from a silent partner and made a lot of "foxy" underhanded moves myself to stay alive. And Gamara, don't think that all my communications were 100% straightforward--there was a lot of self-serving going on, even then.

Remember, guys, I was separated from Foxy for two votes. I had to scratch and claw to stay in it....including regrettably, having to strengthen my bond with Davey for my continued survival.

So don't assume Foxy was the only Big Bad here. I did things just as bad. I think Davey's post should make that clear.

[end, part two]

#375613 11/13/08 10:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by dedman:
my question is this....

who else in the game game do you feel deserved a spot in the top two, and why?
There were a lot of worthy contenders. To me the very best players besides us were Lone Wolf, Davey, Lance and Novelty.

Of these, I think the most well-rounded strategically and competitively was Novelty. Nov really scared the bejeezus out of Foxy and me! We were so afraid of him that Dave, Foxy and I teamed up to beat him in the Final Four immunity challenge and STILL came close to losing to him!

Personally, though, I would've had no problem if Davey was sitting here instead of me. He was very loyal and honest in this game and lied very little (if at all). To get that far playing such an honest game is very commendable.

[end, part three]

#375614 11/13/08 10:30 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Lone Wolf Legionnaire:
While I do think Fox was a stronger player than Lardy, due to what we saw posted on this thread and from being his teammate, I was never on Lardy's team and do not know what he did behind the scenes to help his tribe win challenges, can any of his teammates or Lardy himself make a case for him and his play, because I sure would like a reason to vote for him, from my view the only reason Lardy stayed in the game was because of his alliances and not his play, sorry Lardy.

As for Fox, lets give him credit, he was a Player, he played Davy, he played Lance, he played me, and say what you will but he did play the game, whats the old saying don't hate the player hate the game, can anyone out there give me a reason not to vote for Fox, because I'm willing to listen.

In hindsight I see that the strongest players do not always survive in Suvivor, but the strongest alliance will get you pretty far in the game, you guys were the strongest team I'll give you that, because of your pact so early in the game, I don't think we started to think that way until Quislet was voted off after the tribe switch, and we were down to two original N'Hura members, and it was far to late for us, because by then original St'Balla had the numbers and the votes, we just didn't know it yet.

It's just to bad that Davy did not make it to the final two, my decision would have been an easy one, as he would have gotten my vote, after Ex put the leader label on him, and when he thought I picked him up in the tribe switch, and then told me to pick up Lard Lad, I was aware of the alliance between the two of them, as Davy was the strongest player and wore the leader tag, It made him my number 1 target, but he survived my attempt, due to the votes I got from my so-called teammates LOL!, while I did suspect Novelty was in fact Nemisis Kid, I did not have a clue about Fox as he convinced me that he was 100% on my side, looking back the thought crossed my mind to reach out to Gamara as he seemed to be the outsider of his tribe, I wonder if that would have worked, in the end it took Davy to get Davy out of the game it seems.
A very well thought-out analysis, Wolf. I hope you've seen some examples of my gameplay in my responses so far. If challenges set the bar for you, then Foxy is definitely your man. After the first reward and immunity challenges for St'Balla, I definitely sucked ass! Even my immunity win in the Final Four was given to me by Foxy (who worked out the solution first), so he wouldn't look like too much of a threat.

My value was always more on the strategic side. Foxy and I mapped out every move we made primarily thru a series of AIM exchanges. What I think separates me from him somewhat strategically from him is what I did when I joined N'Hura. Everything that happened in those two tribals was engineered by me to control the numbers in our favor once we merged. I assumed Quis and Deds were closely aligned with yourself and Lance and worked to undermine their powerbase.

I also looked out for Foxy while I was with N'Hura by throwing the song challenge, so he would be safe! I fed Foxy the answer to the first song (when we went head-to-head) and dragged my heels on the other two songs to make sure St'Balla won. It was mine and Foxy's feeling that Foxy would have been a goner had St'Balla lost, so that was the strategy.

Yes, I communicated with Foxy throughout that time, but ultimately it was my call to do those things as he could not help me directly in that situation.

Once the merge happened, Wolf, I was the one who communicated with Gamara to make sure we had the numbers to vote you out and to overcome your reward advantage there.

So there's my game. I'm afraid this may cost me some votes already supposedly committed to me, but there you have it.

[end, part four]

#375615 11/13/08 10:38 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
OK, my vote is up for grabs. The player who can most creatively ask for my vote (in a way that tickles my fancy) gets it. Will it be in song? or a limerick (dare I hope)? Maybe a nice drawing?

I do expect something from both of you.
Part I:
I'll do everything in my power to overthrow the cult of Cobalt Kid adoration now that you're rightfully Legion World's #1 poster. I'll give you a plush ermine robe, a jeweled crown and scepter, and a plaque that reads "Legion World's Beloved #1 Poster," and follow you around the MMB, demanding praise for "His Excellency, Lord Quislet the Best." I'll smash all existing statues of Cobie, and erect numerous impressive edifices in your honor.

Part II:
I asked a friend of mine to send you a lovely photo. Did you receive it? (Check your PMs for clarification.)

Part III:
On the real life front: the next time we're at a LW meet-up at a comic con, if you're standing in line to wait for a creator signing, or special item, either for yourself or as a favor for someone else -- I'll stand in line as your proxy, no matter how long it takes. That will leave you free you to enjoy the scenery. wink (Or, if you'd prefer to remain in line, I'll stand behind you and give you a soothing backrub.)

Last but not least, there's this:

There once was a Quis so delightful
Who found tomatoes quite frightful
His post count was prodigious
He was properly litigious
I hope that his vote won't be spiteful

#375616 11/13/08 10:43 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Language Arts Lad:
Davey Fairplay was a joke, a bit of irony. I know this game is about screwing people, and that's one of the big reasons I DIDN'T sign up until after Ex PM'ed me and asked me to play.

My wife has consistently told me over the years that I'm too much of a Boy Scout. Too worried about doing the right thing. About treating people fairly. She's right I guess, because you guys sure played me.

Y'know, Lardy, the way I remember it, I approached you. And, you're wrong, Foxy. We did PM each other once while you were in the other tribe. I PM'ed you to find out if you were still interested in keeping alive the partnership if we all got back together. See, I'm a sap.

At this point, I don't give a crap which of you win, and if there were a way to not vote, I would. But there isn't, and I'm STILL a Boy Scout, so I'll stand by the one guy I thought I could trust, despite all the times he evidently lied to me. I do it, because I made a deal, even if he didn't.
Davey.....I hope you know that stringing you along wasn't easy for me. Like Foxy said, we were hoping at the beginning that there would be three people, not two, going in front of the jury, like it has been in more recent seasons on the TV show. When it didn't pan out that way, I had to stick with the first pact and the greatest friendship I'd built in the game.

For what it's worth, I remained steadfast that you'd go to the Final Three (when Foxy suggested otherwise), so that you'd have the chance to win immunity and go on to the Final Two. Yes, you could've been endangered at the Final Four if Nov had won immunity, but I always pushed for you to be Final Three when Foxy threw other possibilities out there. So I was loyal to you as much as possible.

I also respected you enough not to withhold the truth from you here at the end. I thought I owed it to you to show you how underhanded I was with you rather than play it like I always was going to take you to the limit. If I lose your vote, so be it, but I felt you deserved to know the truth at the end.

I sincerely hope the Boy Scout within you doesn't emerge too jaded from the experience. The world needs more of you!

[end, part five]

#375617 11/13/08 10:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Finally, I hope all of you will take everything into consideration before casting your votes one way or another. Neither of us is without sin, nor is there really a lesser of two evils. We both played our asses off in this game and invested (definitely!) way too much of our valuable time to get to this point in the game. I respect each and every one of you but feel that the best two players are standing front and center where they ought to be. We played hard from the outset, and here we are.

I've been a fan of the show for a long, long time and have watched all but two of the seasons. This version was a dream come true for me, and I thank Ex and all of you for making it an enjoyable experience.

Whoever's name you PM to Ex...if it's the name of the person you believe played this game the best, I'll be satisfied, regardless of whose name that may be!

Thanks, guys!

[end]

#375618 11/13/08 10:56 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Language Arts Lad:
Y'know, Lardy, the way I remember it, I approached you. And, you're wrong, Foxy. We did PM each other once while you were in the other tribe. I PM'ed you to find out if you were still interested in keeping alive the partnership if we all got back together. See, I'm a sap.
Davey,

When I referred to our not exchanging PMs during the time we were separated, I meant that you and I did not have any strategy discussions during that period -- we basically played our own games on our new tribes. That was why I grew closer to my new team of Lone Wolf, Lance, and Novelty.

I still have that PM you're referring to -- you sent it on October 23, right when we swapped teams. In response to your question about whether I was still interested in keeping alive the partnership if we all got back together -- I responded in the affirmative, because I was interested, and I did keep the partnership alive. I had several prime opportunities to "kill the partnership" -- but I didn't. The only reason I acted differently at the final 3 was because of my earlier agreement with Lardy. Until we all got to the final 3, I'm pretty sure that neither you nor I ever made a single comment to the other about specifically how far in the game we'd go together -- we kept it general where the scope of the alliance was concerned.

You never made any such specific comment to me because you always believed that you were in a final 2 alliance with Lardy, and you were always planning to vote me off at the final 3 if you won that challenge. In fact, one very interesting PM that I became aware of was a PM that Lance sent you, where he said that I had "played them foul," and that you should "vote my sorry ass off" (or similar words to that effect). Despite the fact that, at that time, you and I were PMing heavily to discuss strategy, that was the one PM that you never shared with me -- but you shared with Lardy. Since you and I were so open about discussing every other aspect of gameplay, I can only assume that you didn't share that particular PM with me because you saw me as the 3rd wheel in the alliance, and the odd man out.

In fact, I never betrayed you. Fact is, there were several different points I could have aligned with other people, thus abandoning the alliance between you and me, and voted you off well before the final 3 -- but I didn't. Obviously, the decision not to vote you off instead of Lone Wolf caused me to antagonize others on the jury, as you've seen. Despite those clearly foreseeable risks, I chose to honor our alliance all the way until final 3 -- the exact same point that you also had plans to get rid of me.

So if you're angry about the one comment I made to you about final 2 on Saturday, then you certainly have a right to be angry -- but you have no basis to claim that I was disloyal to you at any earlier point in the game, that I viewed or treated you as a "sap," or that I wasn't interested in "keeping alive" our partnership. If that had truly been the case, you never would have made it as far as you did, because you were a strong and honest player, and would have won in a landslide if you'd made it here -- and therefore you were a huge threat. It was totally against my best interest to keep you in the game. The fact that you did make it to the final 3 means I was exactly as loyal to you as you were to me. And, since you never told me about your own deal to go to the final 2 with Lardy, you were just as honest with me as I was with you.

I'm truly sorry that Lardy's and my alliance hurt you. If you believe one thing in this game, believe this: Lardy and I didn't pick you because we wanted to use you as a pawn or because we perceived you to be a "sap" -- we simply wanted to increase our alliance, and it ended up being just the 3 of us because we thought Sketch Lad and Novelty were already aligned, and Gamara wasn't interested. As I said earlier, if Ex had set it up for a final 3 jury vote, you'd be sitting up here now with Lardy and me. It's only because we later found out it was a final 2 jury vote that you're not up here now.

#375619 11/13/08 11:23 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I have a question: do either of the finalists already own a copy of Adventure #247?
I don't.

[QB]Fox, I appreciate your disclosure. I was actually going to vote for you - until your statement. I feel you mislead me and Lone Wolf. Now, I will likely cast my vote for Lardy, simply because he never mislead me, unless you can convince me otherwise.
Lance:

Lardy never had the opportunity to mislead you. But since he and I were on the same page strategically, I can safely say what he would have done if he'd been in my position -- he would have done pretty much the same thing. I'm not saying that to throw Lardy under the bus -- I'm saying it to give him proper credit for his strategic gameplay. He and I were equal partners all the way, in every aspect of the game.

The main difference between Lardy and me was the fact that I was in a harder position after the merge because Lardy and Davey were perceived to be in a strong final 2 pair -- and for that reason, people didn't constantly approach them to see if they could be persuaded to vote a certain way. On the other hand, I was seen as a free agent, and had to balance the contradictory expectations of several different groups over the course of several tribal council votes. Lardy didn't mislead you due to the happenstance that he didn't have to in order to advance in the game.

Furthermore, all the decisions at that point in the game were being made jointly by Lardy, Davey, and myself. (Although, as I said in my opening statement, I didn't necessarily always agree with the initial target of the vote.) To the extent I said anything misleading to you, it was only in furtherance of the strategy that all 3 of us had decided on -- the person who is perceived as getting his hands dirty, and the others who agreed behind the scenes for that person to carry out the plans, share equal responsibility for the outcome. Neither Davey nor Lardy misled anyone to the extent I had to, because they never were put in the position to do so.

I can understand why you feel the way you do -- but please consider what my choices were in that position. If someone comes to you and asks you, "I want you to vote with me," and you come to realize that you can't agree to do so without violating an earlier agreement you'd made -- you don't have many viable options.

(1) You could agree, thus breaking your earlier alliance -- but that screws you with the first person, because from that person's perspective, you've misled him by saying you would be tight with him for the whole game, when you really weren't.

(2) You could say flat-out, "No, I won't do as you suggest" -- and then immediately become the target of the vote yourself -- for being a traitor, a potential traitor, or a dangerous swing vote. (Or you could just ignore the other person's PM and not answer at all -- but that would be viewed with suspicion, and probably as the same as an outright refusal.)

(3) You could do what I did -- give the proposal honest consideration, but then decide that it would be impossible to comply with and still honor your earlier-made agreements. You could then try, as much as possible, to not lie directly, and only give statements that are technically truthful, but misleading. Obviously, many people would view such statements as not much better than an outright lie -- but in the position I was in, there were not that many options.

Let's look at it another way... as you'll recall, after Lone Wolf was voted off, he sent you and me an e-mail on November 1 saying that the reason you guys didn't tell me about the true nature of the Duralim wand was because you had suspicions about Novelty, and you didn't want me to "panic." Obviously, you both wanted to trust me, but you didn't know for sure that you could -- so you gave me an incomplete and misleading piece of information to try to protect yourself just in case something went wrong. I thought Lone Wolf's explanation was perfectly understandable -- out there, everybody was wary of everybody else, and being guarded with everything we said because we just didn't know how much we could trust anyone else. I gave you misleading answers for the same reason you guys gave me misleading information about the Duralim wand -- to try to avoid "panic" and endangering myself. I wanted to trust you, but there was no reason for me to trust you any more than there was for you to trust me.

And, on that topic -- see my response to Davey about the PM you sent him suggesting that he "vote my sorry ass off." After I found out about that PM, I asked you whether you had any reason to believe that the others might be agitating to vote me off instead of you. You either avoided the question, or gave a noncommittal answer (I don't recall which) -- but even if you weren't sure what I was referring to, you certainly never came out and said at any point, "By the way, I sent a PM to Davey with some inflammatory language about you, but it was only to throw him off. I trust you completely, and that PM was never meant in any way to try to get you voted off instead." Obviously, I understand why you wouldn't want to tell me about that PM to Davey, but by the same token, can you understand why my answers to you had to be incomplete as well? It was solely to avoid "panic," and for the sake of self-preservation. (And, as I said in my opening statement, my answers to you continued in that vein even after you were voted out, because I was worried that something I said to you might be sent to others still in the game.)

Clearly, you never trusted me 100%, and I never trusted you 100% -- it was a 2-way street. It wasn't as though you put your complete trust in me and only gave me totally truthful, complete information -- and were rewarded for it with nothing but lies from me. My cautious, guarded approach to dealing with you wasn't any different from your cautious, guarded approach to dealing with me.

If I'm going to lose a vote because I played hard in the early challenges -- got picked first for our swapped team due to that strength -- kept that team intact by helping win 3 key challenges in a row -- and then had to protect myself after the merge by making misleading comments, so as not to paint a giant, obvious target on my back -- then there's nothing I can do about it. There were very few choices that someone in my position would have had -- and they mostly involve either being brutally honest and getting voted off for that honesty, or being at least somewhat misleading and continuing further in the game.

If Lardy had been put in this position, I believe he would have done the same thing -- as I'm sure many other people would also have done. However, because I was the one who happened to be put in that position by circumstance, and who actually had to negotiate that gauntlet -- and get through it intact -- I believe I had a tougher road to travel than he did after the merge.

#375620 11/14/08 12:12 AM
Active
Active
Foxy,
I never claimed that you'd made any promises, that you were disloyal, or that I was any better than you. I merely confessed my own gullibility, and stated my indifference toward discussing which of the people that made me realize it should be rewarded.

It was a game. I lost.

All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).
#375621 11/14/08 12:21 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Gamara:
I agree, it appears that Foxy was a tiny bit more, well, foxy in his play. He was willing to do what it took to get to the final 2. While that is sometimes a necessity in a situation like this, and may even be viewed as being a clever, strong player who will do what it takes to come out on top, I still prefer to vote in favor of someone who managed to get here without playing dirty at all. Sorry Foxy, but it looks like Lardy will get my vote as well.
Gamara,

It's not true that I was willing to do whatever it took to get to the final 2, or that I played "dirty" and Lardy never did -- please see Lardy's responses and my response to Davey. Lardy and I were always on the same page throughout the game, and we made decisions together -- so the fact that we are here as the final 2 was a joint effort, not some sort of achievement that I engineered all by myself. To the extent that my game was "dirty," Lardy's was equally "dirty"; and to the extent that my game was "clean," Lardy's was equally "clean."

The one time I overtly misstated anything to Davey was at the final 3 -- prior to that point, I had never made any specific promises to Davey about how far we would go together. I only said we were working together in an alliance, which was completely true. Since Davey had no intention of keeping me past the final 3 either, he and I were treating each other with the same honesty throughout the entire game up to the final 3. Lardy also gave Davey assurances that the 2 of them were final 2. Essentially, Lardy played the precisely the same game as I did in regard to Davey. In fact, it was only because the 2 of us played that game so effectively with each other's full assistance and cooperation that Davey was surprised when Lardy's and my alliance was finally revealed.

In regard to whether Lardy or I was more "misleading" to players in the game other than Davey, see my response to Lance.

I disagree with the notion that I played "dirty" just because I had to make misleading comments when I was repeatedly pressed by 4, 5, up to 6 other people to give them the answers that they wanted to hear. Between Lardy and me, I was the one who was placed in that position -- caught between several different groups that all wanted me to say that I was onboard with them. The comments I made were nothing more than self-preservation -- had I been completely honest, I would have been sent to the jury a long time ago.

Furthermore, just about everyone said misleading and incomplete things to everyone else over the course of the game. I could provide a long list of things that players in the jury box said to me that were misleading and incomplete; in fact, my PM box is still full of 'em. The main difference between me and them is that I was lucky enough to have the numbers to make it to this point. But for a few chance events here and there, I would be sitting in the jury box, and it would be me pointing out that a number of others had been making comments all along that were "misleading."

So my gameplay wasn't somehow "dirty" -- either compared to Lardy's game, or many other people's. And, for the record -- I was not willing to do whatever it took to make it to the final 2. I would never have betrayed Lardy or damaged our friendship to win, and I would sooner have sacrificed my own game. Based on the jury's questions to me, it looks like I did just that.

#375622 11/14/08 12:27 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by dedman:
my question is this....

who else in the game game do you feel deserved a spot in the top two, and why?
Dedman:

I know you and Quis from outside the game and like both of you as LWers, but I didn't have the chance to be on the same team as you in this game and get to know your strategy. I don't feel I'm qualified to provide an answer with regard to either of you, so my answer will only focus on the other players for that reason.

Regarding the other 5 members of the jury -- everyone is deserving of being in the final 2, for different reasons. Some played an honest game; some played an independent game; others played strong and smart in the challenges. My comments about people in the Fallen Comrades proceeding just prior to the final 3 challenge pretty much reflect my views of my fellow players. When this game started, I thought we'd have a group of people who wanted to goof off or fool around more than compete. I was wrong -- everyone was in it to win it, and played hard, often going to great lengths to log in to help their team out -- and for that reason, everyone deserves to be in the final 2.

If I had to pick just 1 person, however, I think the edge would go to Novelty. He was an incredibly smart player who dominated some of the challenges, and was really creative with others. It's true that other players have those attributes, as well. However, the reason I give the edge to Nov is because, like me, he was always caught in a difficult position -- and had to navigate many different people requesting his loyalty and his allegiance at the same time. He started on St'balla, like me, then came with me to the new St'balla, where we were paired with two strong players neither of us knew. Come the merge, he faced many of the same decisions as me.

In a way, he played a stronger game than I did, because he went almost as far as I did, but without the support of others in an alliance -- he did it alone, and the whole time with a target on his back. Because he had to make the same difficult decisions following the merge that I did, and also had to make many statements that no doubt were viewed as misleading solely so that he could stay in the game, I have no doubt that he would be facing some of the same questions as me if he had made it to the final 2. For taking that hard road, and almost making it to the end on his wits alone, I would have to say that Nov is my answer for who is deserving to be in the final 2.

#375623 11/14/08 12:36 AM
Substitute
Substitute

Lone Wolf:

You make many good points. I've been a longtime fan of the Survivor TV show, and in my opinion what usually carries a person to victory isn't necessarily strong muscles, or a strong brain, but a strong alliance (of course, it also helps to have the first 2 as well).

Luck also has a lot to do with who goes far in the game. I was truly fortunate that I found someone so early in the game who was willing to be just as true to our alliance as I was, and who stuck with me every step of the way. For that, I'm grateful.

So, it is with all due respect to my alliance mate and friend Lardy -- who I know played this game hard -- that I also agree with your assessment that I was a stronger player overall. I think my challenge performances speak for themselves. And, just as important, I was constantly put in a more difficult position than Lardy was after the merge, in the sense that he had the benefit of being perceived to be in an unbreakable final 2 with Davey, and was left alone a lot more in terms of whether different groups would ask him to side with them. (Also, see my closing statement for a bit more elaboration on these points.)

I'm sorry to hear about your family crisis, and I'm glad that your participation in the game was able to provide some solace. Your strong gameplay definitely helped make this game a big part of what it was, and I enjoyed having the chance to be on your team.

I was also happy to read your post about being able to get your own copy of Adventure #247.

#375624 11/14/08 01:02 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Members of the jury,

For my opening statement, I could have continued to mislead the jury. I had no obligation to reveal everything the way I did; no one forced me to, and even Lardy was surprised at how much I said. Having achieved my goal of getting both Lardy and myself to the final 2, I wanted to totally come clean with the jury. Hence, my extremely long opening statement that laid bare my entire game strategy, and gave complete transparency to everything I did. Like I said before, the only reason I made any misstatements during the game was because I had to -- to avoid painting a target on my own back when I was repeatedly questioned about my loyalties. With the need to protect myself over with, the need to mislead others has also evaporated. So I wanted to be 100% honest about how I played the game -- of course I want to win, but not at the expense of having 7 other people forever believing an enduring lie about how I'd played.

Lardy and I voted consistently in every tribal council we were in together this entire game. Obviously I cast the final vote for Davey, but had Lardy and I decided that he would win the final challenge, he would have cast the same vote. We truly worked together in all the ultimate decisions that were made -- so neither of us was more or less "dirty" in his gameplay than the other. In my closing statement, I'd like to discuss why, if all other things are equal between us, I hope you will vote for me.

First, I had a harder road to travel than Lardy to get here, from the point of the merge to the final 3.

Because so many people assumed that Lardy and Davey were in an unbreakable final 2 pact, it seemed like many people didn't make a tremendous effort to lobby either or both of them to change their votes or strategy, because it appeared they were fully in control, and that it would be futile to do so.

In contrast, because my "new" St'balla team came through the swap fully intact, I was put in the difficult position of constantly walking a tightrope and having to appear loyal to several different groups at once -- or else risk being voted off myself as a traitor or a potential traitor. Lardy and Davey wanted one thing; Lone Wolf and Lance wanted another thing; Novelty wanted yet another thing, which was initially consistent with Lardy and Davey but wouldn't be toward the end of the game; and Gamara voted independently, in ways that sometimes favored one group, and other times another group. I was in constant contact with up to 6 different people who were all asking me whether I was on the same page with them. In that sense, I feel that I had to manage and navigate the divergent and contradictory expectations of many more people at once than Lardy had to, and that I was constantly at more risk than him as being pegged a swing voter or traitor.

Second, I believe I've been a stronger competitor than Lardy. I've always played my hardest in the challenges, even when that might have painted a big target on my back. In the early team challenges, I was the first on my team to finish the "zigel jewels" challenge, and the first player to finish the actors/actresses challenge while working by myself (coming in at 8:09 EST, with the first N'hura member coming in at 8:47 EST -- without the aid of the Time Bubbles). In the chess challenge, I came in a close second, even though I initially misunderstood the instructions, and ended up doing the entire solution twice. Finally, as Lardy mentioned earlier, I was the one who finished the penultimate, final-4 challenge first, but I gave Lardy the answer so that he would win immunity.

Even when I wasn't the first or second person to complete a challenge, I still had the fact that I was a strong competitor pointed out publicly, such as when Ex called me out and said that I was "usually at the head of the pack," and "stumbled just a bit" from my normal performances following the challenge Novelty won. So, I never tried to just hide behind Davey and Lardy, and fly to the end under the radar -- alliance or not, I wanted to go out and play hard, to the best of my ability.

I've also been creative in solving the puzzles, and that has benefited my tribe on a number of occasions. For example, I came up with a unique eBay solution for the Slurpee cups challenge that Ex described as "elegant." At a more important juncture, I "hacked" the solution to get the critical immunity win with the Earthgov presidents challenge, discovering the correct YouTube video -- which directly allowed the new St'balla team to win without actually figuring out who "Arlington Morse" was. If we hadn't gotten the correct video at that point, that challenge would likely have gone on for much longer -- and my team might have lost. (I think Arlington Morse was the president that wasn't listed anywhere on the internet, other than a single DC message board thread -- and, unless you already knew the name beforehand, I don't think that thread would have come up from a general search for Earthgov presidents.)

I've been in the game 110%, and did whatever I needed to regarding my personal life in order to participate fully and give it my all for my team. I had to reschedule a physical therapy appointment at the last minute in order to participate in the Earthgov presidents challenge that I helped our team to win. (That was why I said I only had one hour to participate in the challenge, and promptly logged off right before 9:00 EST.)

Finally, in between challenges and tribal councils, I've tried to lighten things a bit with my **foxlike antics**. Hopefully, I was at least somewhat successful in that respect.

I know from the jury's questions that I've hurt people in the game. I hope that, over time, you'll give me a chance. Unlike the TV show, where the contestants go back to their own lives and never have to see each other again if they don't want to, all of us in this Survivor game share these great Legion World message boards together. LW is my favorite place on the internet because of the genuine camaraderie, respect, and friendships that form from our mutual interests -- I've made many wonderful friends on LW over the years. I'm glad that this game gave me the opportunity to get to know a couple of my fellow posters that I didn't have the chance to interact with before -- and I hope that we can continue to do so after the game is over.

Thank you for your consideration.

#375625 11/14/08 01:09 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Good luck to ya, Foxy!

#375626 11/14/08 01:11 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Good luck to you too, Lardy! It was an honor and a privilege to have played this game with you.

#375627 11/14/08 07:20 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
All right, jury members, you've now heard from both of the Survivor finalists and, hopefully, all of your questions have been answered.

Now... the moment of truth. After having heard both sides of the story, and having lived a third, your own, you must now make the decision as to which of the two remaining contestants is walking away with the grand prize.

Weigh your options carefully and, when you're ready, go ahead and cast your vote via secret PM to Exnihil. Remember, this time you are voting in favor of someone, not against them.

I also wanted to take just a moment and thank everyone who played along... I hope you all had fun. At the end of the day, it was just a game, and no matter who wins, it was an honor to engage in this experiment with all twelve contestants. It really was, I think, yet another testament to the strength of Legion fandom.

Thanks again, and good luck, everyone!

#375628 11/14/08 12:34 PM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
Exnihil, I hope it's ok if I say a few things.

Fox, when you asked if I knew about a conspiracy to vote against you, you said I gave a noncommital answer. My reply was in effect "I don't know" because Davy never replied to my pm. (At least I don't think he did - I have deleted all my pms due to a full mailbox.) I had no idea who was going to be targeted. I told you everything I knew about how others would vote - which was nothing. No one who started out as St'Balla tried to recruit me into their alliance - a drawback of starting with the N'Hura tribe, I suppose. I also never once claimed I didn't understand why you did what you did. I understand that a thief steals to profit himself, even if I don't agree with his behaviour.

I have never seen the Survivor televion show. I thought the game would be based on how well one played, and how well one made alliances. I did not realize the motto was, "Screw unto others before they screw unto you." I suppose I was naive in that respect. I know it sounds like sour grapes, but I don't see how I could enjoy owning a copy of Adventure #247 if I knew I had lied to get it. In my opinion, anyone who played this game and emerged with their integrity intact is a winner. Anyone else, despite collecting the prize, deserves the label of loser.

#375629 11/14/08 01:14 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Holding opinions about the conduct of your fellow players is one thing... no one would be normal if they didn't... but resorting to public name calling is quite another.

Quite a good deal of work has gone into creating this game, and the intention was always to provide an experience that, all at once, mimicked as near as possible that of the Survivor television show, while at the same time celebrating the Legion. I feel as though it has succeeded on both fronts, but... please... this close to the end, do not sully it with poor sportsmanship.

This game was intended to be fun, but, given the nature of the beast, always stood the chance of hurting people's feelings if they took it too seriously. The prize, to my mind, was always secondary to making the game engaging and enjoyable. No matter how it played out, there could only be one victorious contestant and everyone else would be leaving with exactly what they came with... with the exception of having participated in a once in a blue moon experience.

Please take that for what it's worth and treat one another with respect. This is only a game.

#375630 11/14/08 05:03 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Just an update for those playing along at home: Five votes have been received, two remain. Hopefully, our last couple of jury members will finish their deliberation by this evening... stay tuned...

#375631 11/14/08 06:21 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Just my two cents.

I've never watched Survivor, but I did know that making alliances was part of the game. And part of the game strategy can include misleading others in order to not get voted off (or your ally voted off) (I remember hearing about one player on the show saying his grandmother had died in order to get sympathy)

I am not very good at that which is why I didn't attempt it. And while I can understand that some people like the whole alliance building part of the show, it can lead to some very hurt feelings. I think both Lardy & Foxy have acknowledged that in their statements. I also think that in the midst of the game, no one considered the full effect that alliances can have on the person being voted off.

It is upsetting to get voted off, even if there is no voting bloc against you. But as they say "Time heals all wounds". This was just a game and while feelings can (and did) get hurt, they do go away if you let them.

Exnihil, you did craft some excellent puzzles and challenges for us.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#375632 11/14/08 09:55 PM
Active
Active
Quis, the contestant who lied about his Grandma went by the Johnny Fairplay. That was part of my stupid little joke, that's the last episode of the series I ever watched.

I agree with everything you've just said, Ex did a fantastic job crafting this game.

All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).
#375633 11/14/08 10:50 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I agree it's just a game, trust me there are alot worst things to get upset about, but it does suck to lose, especially if your as competitive as I am, and I know most of you are, but after a couple of days I get over it and look at the bigger picture, I was outplayed in the game of Survivor, and not being truthful is within the rules of the game Survivor, though at times I did take this game too seriously, and Ex the prize was always secondary to me, as the competition was what I was in it for, I remember when I got this
THE WEDDING OF BOUNCING BOY - Yoyodyne
it was like scoring the winning basket for my team, I Thank you Ex for the time and effort you put into Survivor:Marzal, you did an outstanding job.

And I do hope to continue getting to know all my fellow Survivors better here on Legion World, teammates and adversaries alike, as I hold no grudges against anyone who played in this game, and hope everyone would feel the same way, after all we are all here because we have something in common, our love for The Legion Of Super-Heroes.

I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.
Page 40 of 43 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 43

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
LegionFan223
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Chemical King
Chemical King
Bamberg, Germany
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star