Roll Call
1 members (stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86), 35 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:13 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:11 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:10 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/03/24 08:07 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/03/24 07:20 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:58 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/03/24 06:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/03/24 06:53 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 42 of 43 1 2 40 41 42 43
Re: Survivor: Marzal
#375659 11/15/08 09:29 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Congrats Lardy on your victory, and to Fox on being so nearly the winner and to all players on a fun and interesting game. And Ex, seriously, kudos for running an amazing game. It took a staggering amount of time, creativity, effort, and planning to pull this off. It has been a great pleasure playing and if there is to be a season 2 I for one eagerly look forward to it!

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a GREEDY craven little coward!"

=Daffy Duck
#375660 11/15/08 09:30 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Absolutely. I was so pleased that the final vote wasn't a landslide. I loves me some drama. wink

At your convenience, Lard Lad, drop another PM to Exnihil and we'll tear off our message-board masks and make arrangements for shipping.

There is one stipulation... I know you've got kids, so, promise me after you're done, it passes to them. 50 years from now, on the Legion's 100th anniversary, we'd like to know that at least one well-loved copy is still bouncing around. smile

#375661 11/15/08 09:33 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Honestly, I wasn't at all sure I would win. Going by juror comments, I knew there was an anti-Foxy sentiment among some of them, but I felt that my responses may have sabotaged that sentiment by showing them all that I was at least as duplicitous as they viewed Foxy to be.

I also didn't really try to talk myself up in my responses. I didn't claim to be a better player than Foxy and even implied the opposite!

I'm not sure why 4 of 7 chose me over him! I'd certainly like to hear from any jurors as to how they decided to vote! (Particularly, I'm curious which of us tickled Quis's fancy more and won his!)

I thank those who voted for me in any case.

If there's a Season Two, I'm just letting you know that I won't be participating. Not because I didn't enjoy the game, far from it! But: a) There's not much to play for a second time and b) I'm pretty sure players would be wary of me as a threat on a second go-round!

Now, if there's an LW version of the Amazing Race..... laugh

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#375662 11/15/08 09:37 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Exnihil:
There is one stipulation... I know you've got kids, so, promise me after you're done, it passes to them. 50 years from now, on the Legion's 100th anniversary, we'd like to know that at least one well-loved copy is still bouncing around. smile
Will do! smile

#375663 11/15/08 09:41 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Given the events of the last couple of days, I think a Legion World version of Battle Royale (that Japanese cult film where thirty students are placed on an island and forced to brutally kill each other) is more likely than a season 2. wink

And now, as promised a few

<span style="font-size: 20px;">Survivor: Marzal
Special Features</span>

First up... remember waaaaaaaaaaaay back on page one of this thread, the sixth post actually, when I was still trying to drum up interest? There was a massive spoiler posted for about 20 minutes, and for the lucky few who saw it, it gave them the added impetus to sign up, knowing what the prize was.

Well, here is that post in its entirety, for posterity's sake:

SPOILER!!!

The following footage was stolen from a security camera at "Survivor: Marzal" production headquarters:

[Linked Image]

Exnihil: Write this down, Ms. Jath! "After the Final Tribal Council, the seven-member Jury will vote on which of the two remaining contestants will receive The Grand Prize."

Ms. Jath: ... the... Grand... Prize... in italics... Got it, XN.

Dewey: Say, XN, what is the Grand Prize, anyway? A million dollars?

Exnihil: A million dollars?!?! In this economy? Forget it! That's chump change!

Cheatham: An authentic Tenzil Kem campaign button?

Exnihil: Ooooh, I like it! Write that down, Ms. Jath! Maybe for next season.

Ms. Jath: ... campaign... button... Got it, XN.

Howe: Wait a minute... you don't mean to say... the Grand Prize is... Ad...

Exnihil (interrupting): Don't say it out loud, you idiot! These boards have ears! In fact, you're FIRED!

Howe: Can I have my job back if I amuse you with a clever rhyme?

Exnihil: Well... OK... dance, monkey, dance!

Howe: You don't mean to say... the Grand Prize is... um... rhymes with... an "Indenture to Morty Levin"?

Exnihil: Heh, "Morty Levin". All right, you're hired again... and, yes, the winner of Survivor will receive something that rhymes with an "Indenture to Morty Levin". But if I find out that word got out, you're all FIRED!!! Now, Ms. Jath...

Ms. Jath: Yes, XN?

Exnihil: Get me that Proty character on the phone. I've seen his ads and I think we might be over budget on wardrobe.

#375664 11/15/08 09:45 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Given the events of the last couple of days, I think a Legion World version of Battle Royale (that Japanese cult film where thirty students are placed on an island and forced to brutally kill each other) is more likely than a season 2. wink
frown

#375665 11/15/08 09:57 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
bump for blue

#375666 11/15/08 10:02 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Special Feature
Anatomy of an Image</span>

My absolute favorite part of this whole experience was all the Photoshop work. I am an absolute graphic hack. My stuff is really rank amateurish, but I think it's so much fun to scour the internet looking for just the right pieces to make what I have in my mind's eye a reality.

Perhaps the biggest challenge for me was the construction of the jury... I was so hoping that I wouldn't have to put Lardy in there, because I was already committed to portraying him as per his real photos and... as you can tell from the end product, I'm really crappy with anatomy (see Lone Wolf and Lance's legs... horrible).

Anyway, here's a nice "how-to" on constructing your very own Survivor jury:

click to enlarge

#375667 11/15/08 10:15 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Special Feature
So Who Had the Hidden Immunity Idol?</span>

C'mon...

It was Novelty.

He found it early on, out on "Exile Island" (The DC Legion Message Board). Hidden deep in another game thread I ran about a year ago, it was the second season of a game called "Legiopardy" - Legion Jeopardy. There was a 12-sided die referenced in there that Dirk Morgna used while playing D&D, and I thought it was perfect for a Immunity Idol, as we had 12 players here.

But it was never played... so I guess it merely acted as a deterrant... for a time.

#375668 11/15/08 10:35 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Special Feature
The Story Behind the Story</span>

So... why did I do this?

Put simply... I love the Legion. I always have since I first, at age 12, found four boxes of silver age comics in the attic of a house my parents were renting. The first story I ever read was the Death of Ferro Lad, and I was hooked.

I started posting to the DC message boards about a year and a half ago and, although I really liked the camaraderie... I hated the games they ran there. They were so uncreative... "lets take a list of 200 characters and post everyday until we whittle it down to our favorite." Yeesh.

So, I made up my mind that I was going to remedy the situation. I orchestrated a new type of game: Legiopardy. Basically, it was a Legion-centric Jeopardy with all the trimmings: three rounds, daily doubles, credits earned and lost, and... what a concept, a grand prize.

Legiopardy went really well. Our old friend kenaustin actually won the first season and scored himself a Legion Archives volume. It went so well that I ran it twice more, with a poster from these boards (Dain) winning season 2 and a Steve Lightle print, and a poster called Kinetix winning season 3 and set of Legion Outpost fanzines.

I was addicted to the message board game by this point, and briefly considered tying it all together with a Legiopardy Tournament of Champions for this, the Legion's 50th Anniversary. But, then... I had a bigger idea.

This game, Survivor: Marzal, was my baby. It was my love letter to a lifetime of Legion fandom and it had to be big. I had been planning it since this past July and knew if I was going to do it, I was going all out. I made my very first trip to the SDCC with the intent of finding an Adventure 247 for the Grand Prize. Mission accomplished. Since the DC boards simply did not have the capacity to support something of this scale, I signed up over here, after meeting Nightcrawler out in San Diego. I know it was extravagant, but it was my, albeit bizarre, way of thanking the Legion for all the years of entertainment and enjoyment they've give me.

I hope you all enjoyed it half as much as I did.

#375669 11/15/08 10:36 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by LardLad:
Honestly, I wasn't at all sure I would win. Going by juror comments, I knew there was an anti-Foxy sentiment among some of them, but I felt that my responses may have sabotaged that sentiment by showing them all that I was at least as duplicitous as they viewed Foxy to be.

I also didn't really try to talk myself up in my responses. I didn't claim to be a better player than Foxy and even implied the opposite!

I'm not sure why 4 of 7 chose me over him! I'd certainly like to hear from any jurors as to how they decided to vote! (Particularly, I'm curious which of us tickled Quis's fancy more and won his!)
I was pretty sure I wouldn't win. In fact, I'm surprised and happy that I even got 3 votes. To whomever voted for me, thank you.

I wasn't really expecting my responses or closing statement to make much of a difference. In fact, after reading the jury's questions/comments, I was sure that more than one jury member would never cast a vote for me, even if they actually believed that I played the better game or was more deserving from an objective perspective.

If there's a Season Two, I'm just letting you know that I won't be participating. Not because I didn't enjoy the game, far from it! But: a) There's not much to play for a second time and b) I'm pretty sure players would be wary of me as a threat on a second go-round!

Now, if there's an LW version of the Amazing Race..... laugh
Same for me on both counts. I achieved everything I set out to do in this game -- make a strong alliance early on; not get voted off first; make the jury; make the merge; participate in every single challenge; and, finally, make the final 2. Winning the copy of Adventure #247 would have been nice, but I was just as happy to see my friend and alliance-mate win it.

The fact is, whether or not I won the grand prize, I considered myself a winner as soon as the last immunity challenge ended: I had the chance to fully participate in this terrific game all the way until the very end, and, more importantly, I had the chance to get to know a fellow LWer better and, in the process, make a true friend.

And I'd definitely consider participating in a LW Amazing Race!

#375670 11/15/08 10:44 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Floating Foxlike Creature:
I had the chance to ... make a true friend.
You're talking about Jeff Proty, right? wink

#375671 11/15/08 10:48 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
All right guys, that about wraps it up. Feel free to use the rest of the thread for comments and such... I'm out.

Thanks again, everyone, and Lardy, don't forget to PM me your details for shipment.

[Linked Image]

#375672 11/15/08 10:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Floating Foxlike Creature:
[b] I had the chance to ... make a true friend.
You're talking about Jeff Proty, right? wink [/b]
While I'm sure Foxy likes Jeff, I know me and Foxy have gotten to know each other very well through this process. We were acquaintances before the game, but thru PM and AIM, we got to learn a lot about each other's lives, found we had a similar sense of humor and really gelled as friends and teammates.

I think I speak for both of us when I say that even if neither of us had made the Final Two, the bond we built over these weeks would've been reward enough. nod

#375673 11/15/08 10:54 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Speaking of Jeff Proty, I hope he enjoyed all my behind-the-scenes confessionals... I sure did. smile

As a die-hard fan of the TV show who'll probably never be on the show, it really was a thrill to participate in challenges and tribal councils that were crafted to be so similar to the real thing.

I know I've said this before, but I think this game was a tremendous contribution to the culture and life of the Legion World boards. I hope the "viewing audience" enjoyed it as much as the players did.

#375674 11/15/08 10:54 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
[Linked Image]

Look! It's NASCAR's Jeff Gordon!

wink

#375675 11/16/08 10:12 AM
Active
Active
Wow, what a great game!

Ex, what can I say? You did another superb job. I believe I may have 'appeared' in more of your games than anybody else, and I have enjoyed it every single time. Thanks for all of the time and the massive amount of effort you put into this. It is very much appreciated.

Congrats Lardy, for the win! I've never watched an episode of Survivor, but I knew somewhat how the game was played, and you played it well.

Former N'Hura mates, I salute you. We were a great team! Thank you all for everything, it meant so much. Lone Wolf, I'm not sure what happened, but I wish the best for you. I'm sorry I couldn't say something at the time.

Fantastic game, everybody! This was just as much fun to 'watch' as it was to play!

#375676 11/16/08 02:06 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Look! It's NASCAR's Jeff Gordon!
OK, so... true story:

In "real life" I'm an IT consultant and, at my former company, I had to travel a great deal (I've recently been in the process of obtaining a new job... one of the luxuries of which was a great deal of free time to hang around online running a certain game).

Anyway, about two years ago I found myself on an assignment in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. While there, I happened to stop at a convenience store which happened to have a life size cardboard "point of purchase" display of Jeff Gordon for some contest or something.

Now, I'm not a NASCAR fan, and I had never even heard of Jeff Gordon, so as I came around the corner and came face to face with the display, I nearly fell over! What the f*%$!?!?! Why is there this huge cardboard cutout of me in a jumpsuit in the middle of the Midwest?

Seriously, the resemblance was so uncanny that I thought I had shifted into the Twilight Zone or something. So, as I'm standing there, reading this thing to find out what is going on, this woman, mouth completely agape, starts to approach me. "Oh, my God!" she says, "Jeff Gordon! Can I have an autograph?" As though she thought this Gordon character was traveling the country personally inspecting all of his advertisements.

I had to explain to her (at first she didn't even believe me) that I wasn't him and, in fact, had no idea who he even was.

So, beware... all of us have doppelgangers, and someday you might come face to face with your own!

#375677 11/17/08 09:12 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Awesome game Ex, fun to both play and watch. I never took part in as many challenges as I would have liked, but real life interfered at times...Anyways, if you ever run another game, even if there is no prize, you can count me in, my schedule is much freer now.

And congrats to Lardy!!!

#375678 11/17/08 11:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm actually a little surprised that some people seem to have gotten hurt feelings or felt betrayed or what have you. Didn't we all know that that would be part of how this game would be played? I guess not. I mean, maybe this game should be called CONNIVER? wink

I'll forever live with the knowledge that I was so intimidating that I had to be expelled as soon as possible! BWah ha hahahahahaha!!!! I wonder if I was actually just too annoying?

Oh well.

It was good entertainment, but I don't think I'll play again. I love that we were able to use Marzal's "unstable temporal shifts" as an excuse to not have a level playing field. That would be my main complaint... it's practically impossible to ensure that everyone who wants to play can be on the board all at the same time.

I do congratulate our final 2. It required a lot of tenacity to win this thing, so congrats to Lardlad.

Great job, Exnihil! You crafted this really well.

#375679 11/17/08 11:19 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
A look behind the scenes:

Actually, Dean, you were targeted so early for 2 reasons: a) we suspected you were in an alliance with Novelty (we couldn't take him out because we suspected he had the immunity idol), and, especially, b) Davey shared with Foxy and me your PM to him about forming an alliance to take him all the way to the Final Two.

We really were going to vote Gamara out (and had, in fact, PMed Ex that vote) originally before you sent that PM! That PM set our alarms off, so Foxy and I PMed Ex our desire to change our vote to you; Davey hadn't voted up until that point and submitted his for you after we changed ours. So the PM sent to Davey was ultimately your undoing.

Anyhow, it's nice to know you harbour no bitterness towards us for it. (hopefully, you still won't after reading this) Like I said, the three of us were in it to win it from the get-go, and we saw you as a big threat early on!

#375680 11/18/08 12:24 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hah! I wonder what would have happened if Davey had aligned with me instead of you two? We'll never know now. I was not aligned with Nov, though the pms were flying! I would have liked to play more. I was having a great time.

No, no bitterness from me. I do hope everyone who feels stung gets better. It was just a game-- here on LW. One million dollars are not at stake.

#375681 08/26/09 09:58 PM
Active
Active
Ex,
Isn't it about time for a sequel? Or, weren't you considering a version of "The Amazing Race?"

Davey Fairplay tongue laugh cool lol nod

I wouldn't necessarily participate, but I'd love to watch.

All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).
#375682 08/27/09 03:43 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Hey, Davey! Long time no see.

I don't think there will be a sequel to Survivor (messy sex-scandal with Jeff Proty... made all the holo-tabloids) but, yeah, I think an Amazing Race might be in the cards, though probably not until next year.

For the time being, I am wrapping up the fourth season of LEGIOPARDY over on the DC boards. I think that will be the last time I run that game, as well; it's just run out of steam.

So, yeah, keep your eyes peeled in 2010 for something fun.

#375683 08/28/09 11:10 AM
Active
Active
Wow! I was just kidding, but GREAT!

I haven't been around much. About a month after we wrapped up the game I went into the hospital with pneumonia. Complications arose, there was a coma for a while. I spent three months in the hospital, and I was out of the habit after all that. I lurk every few weeks or so, but I'm not as regular as I once was.

I'll be watching.
Dave

All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).
Page 42 of 43 1 2 40 41 42 43

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,091
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Policy Pam
Policy Pam
Tartarus
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star