Roll Call
0 members (), 56 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JSA Classified (spoilers)
#471444 11/23/05 08:32 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
The new arc has begun with #5...

SPOILER
SPACE

SPOILER
SPACE

SPOILER
SPACE

SPOILER
SPACE

SPOILER
SPACE

... and it's a 'gathering of the villains' issue featuring the Injustice Society. I really like the premise of this storyline as it attempts to flesh out the personalities of some little-seen villains. TIGRESS, in particular, comes across as a character I'd like to see more of- something I never could have claimed before, her origins as the daughter of Sportsmaster and the Huntress excepted (that's still so, isn't it?). She's shown as competent, focused and workmanlike-- with heaps going on underneath.

I loved the use of THE ICICLE in the JSA's main title a few years ago. Then, JSAer Sand repeatedly tried to convince Icy to switch to the side of the 'angels'. Here, we see some reasons why Sanderson Hawkins was unsuccessful. Icicle views his villainous compatriots as friends. I think he and Captain Cold should team up sometime. Their similar/dissimilar viewpoints could make for an interesting collision/collusion.

An early scene shows Icy in a booth with a gal- dispelling my own little fancy that he had a crush on Sand (or vice versa). I pretty much thought that was a no-go. Now, I know. Ah, well...

GENTLEMAN GHOST is one of my favorite villains. He didn't quite seem himself, here-- though he's only featured in a few panels. Then again, he didn't seem 'right' to me in his last major appearance over in HAWKMAN, either.

SOLOMON GRUNDY's always fun, in the right hands. RAGDOLL's suitably creepy, and surprisingly cheerful. WIZARD kind of bores me, to tell the truth. THE THINKER was a nice surprise.
A good grouping-- I'm looking forward to the rest of this arc.

STAR-SPANGLED KID, WILDCAT and MA HUNKLE also appear; the active JSAers in an unexpected and kind of fun capacity.

Re: JSA Classified (spoilers)
#471445 11/24/05 08:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm wondering how the Ghost will fare in Levitz's story, considering it's said to go into his background.

I also wonder if it'll contradict what we already saw in HAWKMAN.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#471446 02/05/06 11:23 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
JSA CLASSIFIED #8

This was OK- not as much fun as the Injustice Society arc, for me. Mainly because the Spear of Destiny makes me think of the Spectre and that's one DC property I want given a good, long rest. I'm not gonna get that desire fulfilled, I don't think, so guilt by association tarnishes this storyline, for me.

Still, it's good to see focus on Jay Garrick and Ted Grant.

#471447 02/17/06 11:53 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
JSA CLASSIFIED #9

Big improvement on last issue, for me. I thought the dynamic between Jay and Ted was handled well-- though I'm not clear on the status of Wildcat's 'nine lives' thing. Poor Jay... having to kill one of his best friends. I know I'm in the minority, but I kind of liked the nine lives. I wish the kid who took out the dragon had survived... I liked him.

#471448 02/17/06 01:53 PM
Active
Active
Well, you never see Steven actually die.....

And honestly, I had a hard time accepting that Jay would kill Ted after what happened to Terry Sloane. Just seemed to out of character for me.

Jamie

#471449 06/06/06 12:23 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
JSA CLASSIFIED 12

This is taking a loooong time. Hopefully, the ending will make it worth it. Is Vandal Savage really going to die? That'll be a surprise.

#471450 06/26/06 11:56 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
JSA CLASSIFIED #13

This would have been a great stand-alone issue. I was ready for it to end last issue. As it is, we got several interesting tidbits. First of all, the closing image of the now (or is that once more?) cannabilistic Vandal Savage elegantly dining on the remains of his son will stay with me for awhile. He's definitely set up to be a more edgy villain, after a lackluster outing in FLASH. Secondly, we get some background on the JSA, or rather on the lack of it. I still don't find Alan Scott a comfortable fit for CHECKMATE, but I gather that's sort of the point. I *really* want to see Molly (Alan's wife) react to Alan's new role. Thirdly, there's that image on the viewscreen as Alan Scott flies away from Savage's hideout.

ZZZT! Jade's... alive?! Transformed into energy and trying to get Alan's attention to help release her? Is this covered in ION, which I'm not reading?

I hope that's going to get follow-up.

Too bad about Savage's shapechanging son. He could've been an interesting second banana.

#471451 06/27/06 09:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I had thought he wasn't a "son" as much as he was an imperfect clone who had the misfortune of using the word "father" to describe Savage.

I was a little disappointed in that I wanted to see Alan beat Savage himself, rather than call in the troops.

#471452 07/29/06 09:48 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
JSA CLASSIFIED 14

I guess Stargirl and Vixen aren't destined to be the next comic team supreme, huh? Not my favorite of issues, by any means, though it does feature elements that I would've thought I'd enjoy more. I like Vixen and Gypsy. And it was great seeing Sportsman again. I presume Roulette turns up next issue, but we'll see. If not, the stick-mind-controlled-heroes-in-a-ring-and-make-them-fight device is getting a tad overused.

#471453 08/05/06 12:18 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
JSA Classified#14 does have one absolutely delightful exchange:

Vixen (recalling her JLA days): "..And then I got set up alongside Superman and Batman and the real Flash..."

Stargirl: "We have the real Flash!"

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#471454 01/08/07 11:09 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So, in the last few JSA Classified arcs we had:

Hourman (Rick Tyler) with Hourman (Rex Tyler) vs. Bane – AWESOME storyline that showcased the Hourmen (and Rex’s wife/Rick’s Mom) against a very worthy opponent. Great arc by McDaniel.

Dr. Midnite story – with tons of guest appearances, great art, and a VERY creepy premise. It was wonderfully executed and down right scary. It also hit on the Ultra Humanite (one of comicdoms greatest villains of all time) and surprisingly, also features Dolores Winters! One of the coolest characters in regards to DCU lore, she really surprised me and the idea of ‘Endless Winter’ is surprisingly welcome. I really like the idea of Doc having some recurring foes, and the Terrible Trio and now Endless Winter intrigue me, and I want more

Glad to see Argus restored. Really creeped out about Loose Cannon loosing his heart and Ice Maiden being skinned alive!

Up next: Hawkman! Can’t wait!

JSA Classified is a MUST read these days. Great JSA stories that I’m glad to see. I hope the comic survives in the way it has been, with arcs spotlighting single JSAers. JLA Classified is virtually unreadable when compared.

#471455 01/08/07 11:49 AM
Active
Active
Hawkman written/drawn by WALT SIMONSON!!!!

-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?
#471456 01/08/07 03:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The only potential downer is that it's a crossover with HAWKGIRL.

But I'll get the JSA Classified issues anyway, probably.

#471457 01/11/07 01:24 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
OM, if you haven't already, I recommend saving your money. The art is poor, the story is choppy. In fact, tied in with the recent Hawkgirl issues, it's downright messy.

Just spouting off.
#471458 02/07/07 06:55 PM
Active
Active
I rather liked the art.

It was wild and erratic. It had what the photorealists *cough*GregLand*cough* ENERGY.

-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?
#471459 02/12/07 02:54 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I didn't even pick it up--I saw that it was a flashback to something I didn't really care about. Call me when Carter's back. Come to think of if, did we ever find out what the hell happened to Carter?

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#471460 04/01/07 07:26 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Ugh. I've tried reading the Dr. Midnite story a couple of times, now. The art kicks me right out. Seriously. Something else else about it prevents me from reading more than a panel or two. I'd love to see Doc get his own mini-series or ongoing. But *not* with art like this.

The Dolores Winter issues were great. Maybe this story is, too. I'm afraid I'll never know unless someone reads it to me at bedtime...

#471461 04/01/07 07:44 PM
Active
Active
dr. Mid-Night is one of my fave JSAers so I got this arc, but the art kept me out of it and while I don't think the plot is bad, it was pretty standard. However, I think the characterization was not there.

It just doesn't feel like the writer 'got' Dr. Mid-Night's voice or character, there was one or two parts that I felt Geoff would have written differently in term of internal (or external)dialouge.

so yeah, not an arc I would recommend and probably one I won't read again. The last Dr. Mid-Night arc was ok, but I think the last arc I really enjoyed in JSA: Classified was the Injustic Society one (in fact that's my fave arc, even better than the PG orgin)

Long Live the Legion!
#471462 04/02/07 01:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm glad that they've done two Dr Mid-Nite stories so far and only hope his issues sell well enough for more (or another mini -- written by Matt Wagner). I didn't think the art itself was so bad, just the way the artist decided to draw Pieter's face -- both in and out of the mask. And isn't he suppose to have black hair?

#471463 04/02/07 02:40 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Really mad at myself for buying these past two issues. Drek, drek, and really badly drawn drek!! frown

Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.
#471464 07/28/07 06:37 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I was very pleasantly surprised with #28. I've always been pretty indifferent to Jakeem, but this story was really good. I like how he's depicted as growing into adulthood too. He's not a little boy any more.

Next issue is Mr. Terrific. *yawn*

I'd like to see Hourman featured again, with Liberty Belle this time. An Obsidian issue would be welcome also. smile

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#471465 07/28/07 10:53 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I second the Obsidian nomination-- but what I'd really like to see is a Sandman issue. Possibly detailing the circumstances in which Sanderson decided to adopt the name 'Sandman' and the costume modeled after Wesley's.

Actually, what I'd *really* like is an issue or three that took place in between the panels of the LIGHTNING SAGA featuring some in-depth dialogue between Sandman and Nura.

#471466 07/29/07 01:10 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Those are good ideas too.

The JSA has so many great characters. The spotlight seems to stay on Alan, Jay, Ted, Carter, Karen, Courtney, Pieter and Michael. I hope this title gives Sandy, Todd, Rick and Jesse more time.

#471467 01/05/08 09:33 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I just finished the second issue of the Thanksgiving arc with Alan and it just wasn't very satisfying. It doesn't make any sense that Alan would try to work through his feelings about Jennie-Lynn's death without Todd getting more than a passing mention. It would make more sense if this brought father and son closer together.

Still, as much as I love Alan Scott, I still wish they'd devote more time to the under-used JSAers in this title. I'm glad that next issue will finally be the Rick and Jesse issue I wished for above.

#471468 01/06/08 08:08 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
I just finished the second issue of the Thanksgiving arc with Alan and it just wasn't very satisfying. It doesn't make any sense that Alan would try to work through his feelings about Jennie-Lynn's death without Todd getting more than a passing mention. It would make more sense if this brought father and son closer together.
Also, as far as I know, Alan is still married to Molly. You would think she would get at least a nod as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,971
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Faraway Lad
Faraway Lad
Newcastle upon Tyne England
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star