Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 51 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:40 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
Re: the Squadron Supreme thread
#471707 01/09/04 08:29 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Nekkid Doc Spectrum... swEEEEEt...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#471708 01/09/04 08:52 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Ger:
so I guess we get a plastic bag over this issue again?
Again? When did we before? And believe me, in Utah if they found out about it even a plastic bag wouldn't save it.

#471709 01/14/04 05:34 PM
Ger Offline
Substitute
Substitute
Issue #3 or 4 was bagged here in Dallas. The one in which Hype was sporting his costume on the cover for the first time.
The reporter got out of bed to go out to his balcony where Hype was flying. The reporter was nekkid and his whole groin was shadowed except a small portion which would represent his penis.

Similar to the Doc's in this issue but Doc's was a little more "fleshed out". tongue

Another fine issue. I'm interested to see where they will take Knighthawk. Right now, he's not much better than the criminals he mutilates. I enjoyed Hype's talk with him though. When are they gonna bring in the Power Princess for goodness sake.

#471710 01/14/04 06:31 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Wow... Didn't even notice it.

(Poor Dr. Spectrum... wink )

Wayne@OZ
#471711 01/14/04 07:06 PM
Ger Offline
Substitute
Substitute
OUCH!

#471712 01/14/04 07:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Wow -- I am liking this book more and more every month! It doesn't have any really "big" scenes (there hasn't even been any fights yet), but every issue is chock full of little moments that say alot, every issue is filled with characterization and there are important moments all the time that aren't overblown or overly dramatic, but still resonate.

Case in point: the meeting between Hyperion and Blur. Very nicely done -- two guys just chatting, checking each other out. As much as I wanted something more overt (like a handshake or a smile even), for Hype to really have a friend who understands him, this was a first step after all and there was some nice foundations laid down.

The first meeting between Hyperion and Nighthawk was equally subtle and revealing of both characters. The Nighthawk POV sequence was great -- reminded me of Robert Smeigel's "Fun With Audio" animated segments on "Saturday Night Live" and perfectly captured his attitude towards Hype and his speach without him having to say a word or for us to hear his thoughts, preserving his detachment. The never changing lynched man on the right of frame tells us what we need to know about Nighthawk. And the last line "prick" was just funny -- we've never seen a Batman/ Superman chat end that way! The added racial tension makes these two very different from the "World's Finest" -- there's a gap there that seems impossible to bridge.

And the Nighthawk design is definitely the best of the bunch so far (much better than Hype). Those intense, freaky eyes say it all.

I have to wonder though what it says about Hype that he let Nighthawk get to work unimpeded -- he's seen how brutal he can be. Despite his speech, I guess Hype really only has sympathy for the innocent.

The Dr. Spectrum bit was very troubling -- who's in control here? Will he have to battle the ship's consciousness for control of his powers? The first meeting between Spectrum and Hyperion will most likely not be the low key affairs we witnessed this time around -- especially depending who might be in control at the time.

#471713 01/14/04 07:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Star Boy:
Wow... Didn't even notice it.

(Poor Dr. Spectrum... wink )
Hey, it was probably cold out ...

#471714 01/14/04 07:19 PM
Deputy
Deputy
It was fairly high up, I suppose... Wind Chill factor could've been a bit of a problem.

Like George Constanza says... "There was shrinkage!!"

StarBoy

Wayne@OZ
#471715 01/15/04 02:05 PM
Ger Offline
Substitute
Substitute
What did you guys think was the point of the last page. The whole point of "setting things right in the world" and giving Hype something to do to keep him from going crazy.

Are we simply setting up for the formation of the squadron or is there something a bit more forceful on his mind. Like when the Squadron tried to create Utopia in their mini.

I'm just dying to meet more members. I like the emphasis and characterization they're putting on each individual member, but I'm wondering how long it will be before more powered individuals show up -in a villainous capacity or whatever.

I also enjoyed the whole sci-fi aspect of the micro-bacterial agents released from Hype's ship. It explains the sudden emergence of the powered people. I wonder how far that will go.

#471716 01/15/04 03:22 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I can't wait to get this!!!!

Let the Fun Begin!
#471717 01/15/04 10:55 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
JEEPERS, you guys have me on the edge of my seat to read this!!! I got it today, so I'll dive into it this weekend...!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#471718 01/16/04 12:12 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Are we simply setting up for the formation of the squadron or is there something a bit more forceful on his mind. Like when the Squadron tried to create Utopia in their mini.
That's what I was thinking -- the image of him holding the world in his hand (nice bit of art to have the earth reflecting light onto Hype, btw) made it hard for me to think otherwise.

#471719 01/18/04 11:38 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
LOVED THIS ISSUE!! LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!

Actually, I was wondering if Hype isn't gonna take the notion of forming the Squadron to be the "job" Stanley kept saying he needed to keep himself from going crazy. Organizing such a team WOULD be massive work.

I felt the "covering the earth with his hand" game reflected well the notion that he needs to have SOMEthing to do, idle hands being the Devil's Workshop and all that.

This issue was excellent in every way!

#471720 01/19/04 12:17 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I can't help but think of another of JMS' major works, the tv series "Babylon 5" when reading this. I hadn't drawn any parallels before, but seeing Hyperion meet both Blur and Nighthawk makes me think of it as a smaller version of B5's interplanetary UN and how the series hinged on whether or not these disparate alien races would be able to find enough common ground to band together against the approaching darkness (which in this case would be those spore or nannites or whatever invasion seems to be coming). It was masterfully done there and he's doing an amazing job here.

#471721 02/04/04 03:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
******SPOILERS FOR #7*******
Naked Fish Girl Alert!! (no tuna jokes please!)
Drrr! Drrrrrdrrr! indeed -- we finally get a look at Amphibian and it's a great introduction (though brief). Without dialogue we see a sweet innocence with this character -- a loneliness that is reminiscient of Hype's longstanding plight. Too bad it leads to tragedy. The ensuing violence was also really well done - I can't sing Gary Frank's praises enough with the design work and emotion he's put into this book. He really made her look like a humanoid animal that is from the sea -- not just a water based hero.

The second big part of this book is about how Dr. Spectrum has taken over Hype's role as the U.S.'s covert super-assassin. Hyperion is starting to understand just how much of a dupe he's been and takes another step in shaking off his reins. I like how Spectrum isn't revealed until the last page, to enforce the covert nature of his actions.

I can't wait for the next issue -- it's looking to be a big ass throwdown! Will they beat each other until they decide to no longer be dupes? Will they become enemies, upsetting the notion that this series is ultimately headed towards the formation of the Squadron? Will this confrontation finally force Hype to be his own man and purseu his own agenda? Yeah, this is my favorite book on the stands right now...!

#471722 02/05/04 02:39 PM
Leader
Leader
On the advise of my fellow Legion Worlders, in another thread, I have just picked up the first seven issues today.

I'll give a report on my thoughts this evening, once I have given them the read through...

#471723 02/05/04 02:42 PM
Leader
Leader
Oh, and FWIW, I am coming into this fairly cold. Some of the very first Avengers comics I read as a kid featured the Squadron, so they hold a very nostalic spot in my heart. However, I have read very few of thier appearances since those early Avengers appearances circa mid/late '70s.

#471724 02/05/04 04:17 PM
Ger Offline
Substitute
Substitute
This is not the old Squadron. This isn't even a super-team. It a bunch of individuals and we discover why they are the way they are as they slowly come together. I'm LOVING it. I sometimes long for faster development but this issue reinforced why I need to respect the natural progression of events. BRILLIANT.
And Amphibian looks cool. She's innocent but she's totally wild also. I've never really been a big fan of aqautic characters because they are so restricted unless there's a body of water around. I hope they can integrate her into the book well.

And when are they gonna introduce Power Princess for goodness sake?

#471725 02/05/04 07:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
I have read very few of [The Squadron Supreme's] appearances since those early Avengers appearances circa mid/late '70s.
As stated, these aren't the same characters anyway, so you don't have to worry about continuity or even nods to those characters, because there aren't any aside from the names. As long as you know who the Justice League are, that's probably all the inside info you need.

It a bunch of individuals and we discover why they are the way they are as they slowly come together.
Are we even really sure these guys are ever going to come together as a superteam? I think it's kind of assumed since they're based on the Squadron Supreme, but it wouldn't suprise me if it never really happens. (and if you know for sure don't tell me - I don't wanna know!! smile )

#471726 02/08/04 03:34 PM
Active
Active
Thanks guys! If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have bothered picking Supreme Power up and I'm glad I did.

The new Nighthawk is scarey! Yikes! shudder

And when are we going to get a new Arcanna? She had a neat name! They should get some more use out of it...

#471727 02/09/04 12:55 AM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Arcanna, Power Princess, Lady Lark... I want to see them all here eventually!

#471728 02/09/04 06:47 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Hey, maybe Arcanna will be reworked into a magical cowgirl!

YOU know... Tex-Arcanna...??? wink

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#471729 02/21/04 12:04 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Wow, issue 7 was another goodie!

Drake, I am beginning to believe there will NOT be a team formed. If there WAS gonna be, why not call the book 'SQUADRON SUPREME'?

Can't wait for next issue's slugfest!

Amphibian sure had pert breasts for a fish! I like her already, but she might as well be an alien from Uranus. How is she going to fit in the picture? Man, this book needs to be bi-weekly!!!

#471730 02/21/04 02:11 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Drake, I am beginning to believe there will NOT be a team formed. If there WAS gonna be, why not call the book 'SQUADRON SUPREME'?
Regardless of whether they get together or not, I'm sure the name change was due to the fact that it's not the Squad people are familiar with. They're close enough to use the word "Supreme" in the title, but also maybe to not step on Greunwald's maxi (maybe). And while I woudn't be surprised if they never got together, it's still a scene (and progression) I'd love to see happen -- if only because these characters are so different, it'd be fascniating to see it happen.

This actually reminds me (of all things) of "Gundam Wing" which had five main characters who were all very individualistic (well, except Quatro) who pursued their own agendas and only got together before the last act of the series (and even then, they didn't necessarily get along, their various goals happened to coincide).

The showdown next issue should be *good* -- not only because of the powerhouses involved, but because Joe and Mark are interesting sides of the same coin (as displayed in the last issue where Joe and Mark were usually on opposite sides of the planet doing their thing) -- both were trained and are in service to the government, but one willingly, one less so. One kills as the other protects. One seems to be losing his humanity as the other is beginning to discover his.

If seeing two of the Squad together is this interesting, I can't wait til three of them share a scene (which at this pace won't happend for another two years -- not that I mind if the stories are this good smile )

#471731 02/21/04 04:54 PM
MLLASH Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
On the plus side and fortunately for us all, SUPREME POWER has pretty much stuck to schedule and avoided becoming a quarterly-or-less book like ULTIMATES.

That was my biggest fear about this book, but thus far that fear has been groundless.

Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,261
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Straya
Straya
Oklahoma City, OK
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star