Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad, thoth lad), 39 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/06/24 04:25 AM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:08 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:07 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:05 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/06/24 03:00 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cancelled Series You'll Never Part With!
#472322 08/31/05 08:27 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Sometimes you love something beyond all reason, taste or commercial success. Sometimes they're even comic book series.

What series were cancelled, but you keep cherished in your collections and why?

Re: Cancelled Series You'll Never Part With!
#472323 08/31/05 08:41 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
CODENAME: KNOCKOUT -- loved Rodi's writing, even if the art was inconsistent (oddly, i tended to like the artists, just not their work on this title) ... let's face it, the premise - super-spy thriller/coming-of-age divorced parents melodrama combining equal cheesecake parts for boys & girls - is definitely a 1st ... i ate it up

SPIDER WOMAN and MS. MARVEL -- these 70s gems follow me everywhere ... for some reason, i loved the adventures of these women who could go toe-to-toe with Iron Man and Captain America ... they were Marvel's answer to Wonder Woman, and they really worked for me ... unfortunately, most of their successive adventures were not so great ... i'm glad that Bendis intends to bring Jessica Drew back to greatness as SPIDER WOMAN (I just hope he can)

ELEMENTALS and NEXT MAN - I enviously regarded these Comico offerings in my brother's collection (we had a strict no-overlap rule in our sibling rivalry when it came to tastes) ... each series had stunning art, solid stories and MORE seemed possible in them (at least as far as characters and plots) ... boy, was i happy when my brother 'grew up', got married and gave me his collection (BWA-HA-HA-HA)

YOUNG ALL STARS and INFINITY, INC. - when it was hot, it was ridiculous! while the writing and art clearly went straight DOWN on both series, they started strong and introduced a ton of great possibilities and hot artists to the comics field

NEGATION - i covered it in the crossgen thread in this section ... just wanted to put it down again

BLOOD SYNDICATE - I might be alone on this one, but this short-lived series/company holds a big spot in my imagination ... it was the first time i saw some similarities between the worlds i knew and the one in comics ... sure, the writing and art also took a monstrous crapper, but the 1st 20 issues were solid

#472324 08/31/05 08:57 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
EXCALIBUR, even though it was only really good during those couple years where Alan Davis did both the writing and art. His last issue was the last issue I read. I liked his portrayal of the Rachel Summers Phoenix, he understood her better than Chris Claremont or anyone else; and I loved the origin of Meggan, where she finds out her true form is beautiful and magical.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#472325 08/31/05 11:21 AM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Mystique -- It was just... awesome. Pure and simple. The art, the writing, the... everything. Frio still refuses to believe it's been cancelled. Or that the stupid Mystique that showed up in adjectiveless was actually her.

Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. -- Geoff's first book. I think that says it all, really... wink

New Teen Titans (a most of the other incarnations) -- The Titans have always been my team. I mean, I love the X-Men and the JLA's pretty chill and the Fantastic Four's sweet as but... the Titans were my age, y'know? That meant something to me...

Runaways -- It was sooo good. I don't even remember why I picked it up but after I did... couldn't put it down again. Absolutely amazing. Go BKV!!

Sleeper -- The first comic in this style that I read... and I absolutely adored it. Seriously. It was amazing. I'm sad they only did two 'seasons' of it. But, alas, right? It was just... good writing, fascinating characterizations, interesting twists... I looked forward to every issue.

Ultimates -- It was only 13 issues but it was 13 amazing issues. I really, really enjoyed their first run and I'd be sad if I ever lost those issues. Ironic since I really never got into the Avengers... ever. But I love them in the Ultimate-U.

Mmm... that's all I can think of for now. wink

#472326 08/31/05 11:34 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
ROM Spaceknight
'cause its my fav!!!! Also it was the first series I seriously collected

#472327 08/31/05 12:43 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Nexus -- by Baron and Rude. A real high water mark for American comics. Perfect on all levels. Such well-realized characters...

Badger -- by Baron and Reinhold. Well written; very funny. And Reinhold is one of the most underapprecialted artists of our time. When he inks himself, it is beautiful...great brushwork.

Grimjack -- by Ostrander. Take some Moorcock and a lot of Chandler, stir for 30 minutes.

the Question -- by O'Neil and Cowan. Another super high water mark for American comics. The best thing O'Neil has ever done, imo, and Cowan's art is perfect from beginning to end.

I love the concept of a 36 issue series that takes place over the course of 3 years in the comic's world. We watch Vic Sage (the Question) better himself through training, meditation, give up smoking and coffee... until midway through the series, he is one of the most formidable detectives and fighters in the DCU (he can almost fight Lady Shiva to a draw).

Then... he starts backsliding! He gradually stops meditating, starts drinking coffee again, gets lazy in his training, until by the end of the series, he's not very much above the level he was at the beginning. I don't think I've ever seen that kind of journey in a comic before. It felt very real.

Supreme -- by Alan Moore. Better Superman stories than anything DC published from the time John Byrne took over, on. Superboy, Supergirl, Bottle city of Kandor, Krypto, LSH... all the cool elements Byrne thought were too corny for his Superman relaunch... they all appear in Moore's Supreme.

Major Bummer -- by Arcudi and Mahnke. So original and imaginative, in both story and art. Mahnke's art had so many subtle and naturalistic touches to it. I like his work here much more than on JLA.

Flash(silver age series) -- By Cary Bates, Infantino, Norvick. Super-imaginative stories (aka "silly"). I began to get into this as I started to really burn out on Scott Summers agonizing for 10 thought balloons, about whether he should cross an intersection against the traffic light. Bates' Flash was pure escapism, without any of the angst or grim-and-grittiness that was overwhelming every other comic in the mid-'80s.

Micronauts -- by Mantlo, Golden, Guice, Jones, Broderick, Kane, and others. Just a great, mostly unkown series featuring some really great art. Butch Guice and Kelly Jones, two of my favorites, both got their start here.

Corto Maltese -- by Hugo Pratt. One of the very best comics ever made. It would take me all day to do it justice in description.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch...

#472328 08/31/05 02:39 PM
Active
Active
Strikeforce:Morituri and D.P.7.

Plus my whole CrossGen collection, of course.

#472329 08/31/05 06:25 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Vext - Probably my favorite of Giffen's post-Legion work. I wish it could have lasted just a bit longer.

#472330 08/31/05 06:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Secret Society of Super-Villains - I liked it. What can I say?

Chase - ditto.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#472331 08/31/05 07:23 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm in the process of culling my collection to the "currently collected" and the "runs to keep", so here are my keepers thus far:

70s stuff:

SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS (full run)
FREEDOM FIGHTERS (full run)
ALL-STAR COMICS (58-74-- full 70s run)
TEEN TITANS (44-53-- full 70s run)
CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN (full 70s run)
THE INHUMANS (full 70s run)
THE CHAMPIONS (spotty run)
THE AVENGERS (selected 70s issues)
MARVEL'S GREATEST COMICS (reprints old Fantastic 4)
FANTASTIC FOUR (selected 70s issues)

80s stuff:

X-MEN (sizeable run, incl. the PMS and JRJR runs)
JUSTICE LEAGUE (the Giffen/DeMatteis full run)
NEW MUTANTS (the graphic novel to right before Liefeld)
THE FUTURIANS (graphic novel, issues 0-3)
T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents (Perez, Giffen, Bierbaums!)
L.E.G.I.O.N./R.E.B.E.L.S. (full run)
CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN (Loeb/Sale mini)

90s to Present:

X-FORCE/X-STATIX
THE ATOMICS
CODENAME: KNOCKOUT
VEXT
THE HECKLER
YOUNG HEROES IN LOVE
CHASE
MAJOR BUMMER
SUPERGIRL (the final Peter David arc, issues 75-80)
SHE-HULK (Dan Slott)
GREAT LAKES AVENGERS
Giffen/DeMatteis JLI minis
YOUNG JUSTICE

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#472332 08/31/05 07:55 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The Suicide Squad and Infinity Inc

Let the Fun Begin!
#472333 08/31/05 08:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ooops-- I forgot to include Infinity Inc under my 80s stuff. it's a KEEPER for sure!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#472334 08/31/05 08:08 PM
Leader
Leader
Platinum Grit...Its Australianm and online now (but that just aint the same) www.platinumgrit.com

Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.
#472335 08/31/05 10:20 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Calybos:
[b]D.P.7.[/b]
I wish I hadn't sold those. Out of all the New Universe stuff, that one really deseved to continue. (Pre-Byrne Star Brand was not bad, either)

Which reminds me: Harbinger from Valiant Comics, which seemed somewhat reminiscent of D.P.7.

Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
Chase - ditto.
Yeah, Chase was awesome... I loved it.

#472336 09/01/05 12:18 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I can't think of any right now...unless you count the Avengers and Legion v3.

Regarding Corto Maltese...I never heard of him but I was interested by the title. I gotta check this out! I looked it up on Wiki. Which I am sure doesn't do it justice either but...i want it now. thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corto_Maltese

#472337 09/01/05 12:58 AM
Deputy
Deputy
The Ray! One of my all-time faves... smile

Wayne@OZ
#472338 09/01/05 12:59 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Power Company

Infinity Inc.

New Warriors (first series)

#472339 09/01/05 01:36 AM
Active
Active
In my case, they're mostly DC :

-Hawk and Dove when written by Karl and Barbara Kesel.
-The Huntress by Joe Cavalieri and Joe Staton.
-Omega Men
-Hawkworld
-Atari force
-New Mutants

#472340 09/01/05 03:29 AM
Active
Active
I forgot to add Infinity Inc., All-Star Squadron, and Young All-Stars.

I liked Earth-2.

#472341 09/01/05 09:22 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally posted by Calybos:
I forgot to add [b]Infinity Inc., All-Star Squadron, and Young All-Stars.

I liked Earth-2. [/b]
Oh yeah. I miss those infinite earths...

#472342 09/01/05 03:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Firearm
Starman
Sandman:Mystery Theatre
The Flash (Barry)
The Legion of Super Heroes (Originals)
Infinity Inc.
All-Star Squadron
Young All-Stars

There's more...

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#472343 09/01/05 04:38 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
forgot to mention the original Alpha Flight series as well. I'll be a-keeping that one

#472344 09/01/05 06:11 PM
Leader
Leader
'Mazing Man, Black Condor and Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo-Crew are three series that won't appear in my big donate- and sell-off.

'Mazing Man was just amazingly sweet, and I just adored it. Billy Joel is one of my favorite singers, and two of the main characters are named after people in one of his songs (though they have a much happier fate).

Black Condor was cool, and I was detecting the possibility of a relationship between him and his ranger friend (forget the name offhand, but I expect to reread those since I'm keeping them).

Captain Carrot was just silly fun, and I kept it for the nostalgia value.

#472345 09/01/05 08:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Speaking of Captain Carrot, wasn't there an issue where the Carrot crew met up with parallel world animal versions of the JLA?

#472346 09/01/05 09:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"ZOT!": Quite possibly my all-time favorite series! Also one of the best high school based dramas in any medium.

Alien Legion: gritty stuff without being "kewl" (well, until they overexposed Grimrod, the "Wolverine" of the crew). It was like a comic version of "The Dirty Dozen" - anyone was always in danger of buying it on any mission.

Grendel: The evolution of the concept of Grendel from assassin in a mask to the concept of evil itself was extremely exciting to read.

Moon Knight: (Meonch/Seinkevicz) This run showed why MK was more than just "Marvel's Batman".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,145
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Oracle Boy
Oracle Boy
The 'Net
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star