Roll Call
1 members (Lard Lad), 2 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/17/24 09:00 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/17/24 07:35 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/17/24 07:35 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/17/24 07:33 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/17/24 07:33 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/17/24 07:30 PM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by stile86 - 05/17/24 07:26 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Alexander - 05/17/24 07:09 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Avengers: The Initiative
#480694 04/09/07 09:55 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Am I the only one who was unimpressed by this? Superhero boot camp just left me cold. And I hate this metahuman paramilitary thing that the Marvel Universe is going with these days. And what's wrong with some of these superheroes? I mean, I can see how some of the Avengers would have been ok with registration, but how many times in the past have the Avengers broken their government ties due to their trying to run the team? And now they are acting like a branch of the military? I'm just not feeling it.

I miss the old Marvel U, when heroes were just heroes, and not part of some form of government militia.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
Re: Avengers: The Initiative
#480695 04/09/07 10:19 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
There were a couple of mentions here . Myself I'm just not interested in anything Avengers unless it is picking up some of the older collections.

#480696 04/09/07 11:29 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I actually liked it. I was a big fan of GIJoe as a kid and this reminded meof that.

I know I've been asking why Marvel superheroes are not run by the government since I was a kid. I never asked that about DC characters cause it didn't matter. At Marvel since they are more "grounded" (I guess)I've always asked that. A superhero goverment team can still be fun I think. And while I hated Civil War it did ask and answer those questions I've always had.

I really enjoyed this issue. Got to see some Avengers as supporting characters. (Dr. Pym, Hank, Rage, Triathlong, Justice)

Ofcourse MVP was my favorite. Don't care for the others save Cloud 9.

<span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">What makes me a bit confused is the killing of MVP. Everybody loves a winner. I was a tall athletic kid so I guess I always related to those characters not the shy bookworm type. We need more jocks in comics! Everyone wants to be Bouncing Boy these days. wink </span></span>

#480697 04/09/07 12:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Copying what I said in the Dan Slott thread:

I bought my first AVENGERS comic today since that wretched "Disassembled" crapfest, AVENGERS THE INITIATIVE # 1.

I bought it for one and only one reason: Slott listed on the cover as writer.

I'm concerned that not even Slott could make me like what THE AVENGERS have become... This better not freakin' suck!

Well, I've read it now and I agree that MVP was my favorite. I don't think they're done with him yet.

It was okay but this odd new MARVEL where mutants have all lost their powers and superheroes are all government agents or else they're villains isn't shaping up to be a happy place.

I'll trust Slott for now and give him 3-6 issues to hook me.

All in all, # 1 was pretty okay... I'm interested in Komodo's backstory.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#480698 04/09/07 12:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm not too keen on the whole superhero registering thing either. It's like a big allegory for what happens when formerly carefree kids grow up, stop having fun for fun's sake and decide there needs to be rules to playing. The whole things sucks some of the fun out of the concept of superheroes. One being that having powers is supposed to fulfill the fantasy of being *free* to do amazing things. Now there's paperwork and punishemnt if you don't follow the rules. This is like the perverted culmination of what Spider-Man started by stating "With great power comes great responsibility." Because now it's all responsibility and burden.

#480699 04/09/07 12:46 PM
Substitute
Substitute
This was the first Avengers comics I've ever bought, I've never been a fan of them. And I did like it... oh and yeah they are definitley not done with MVP... one way or another we're gonna see more of him. For now I'm on board for the ride concerning this book.

Currently getting caught up on my Legion history by reading the Post-Zero Hour Legion.
#480700 04/09/07 05:33 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Yeah his origin too cool just to get rid of the character.

Anybody else think that old reformed nazi is going to steal Armory's gunarm?

Oh and while I haven't seen anything from Hardball he might be cool. Hope to see more Ultra Girl!!!

#480701 04/09/07 07:51 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Who's Ultra Girl?

Like I said in another thread, I haven't read an Avengers comic in years, so it doesn't mean much to me if they're acting out of character. I like the concept, for now, whether it will work long term, I'm not so sure.

I'm surprised how popular MVP is, I think he's a character that could get annoying in large doses. He just came across as too perfect, although I loved his scene with poor Cloud 9.

I really liked Cloud 9. Poor thing, she just wants to fly and they draft her!

I did not like Gauntlet, but it's possible I'll love to hate him. I seriously want to see Justice or Dani kick his ass.

It's interesting that they're taking away the powers of the unqualified. If they're taking them away, could they be giving them out, too? I'm thinking about Dani here, although Lord knows she doesn't need any more power complications. What happens if someone washes out and they can't take the powers away?

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#480702 04/09/07 08:45 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Why, Spellbinder, how did you miss my comments on Avengers: The Initiative in the All Avengers thread? Are you no longer following that thread? I'm hurt. :sniff: :boo-hoo:

Just kidding. wink

I approached the book with an open mind, but I came away feeling it was dreary and mean-spirited. I also think Marvel made a mistake changing it into an ongoing at the last minute. I predict that it'll be the first crack in the armor of the Avengers franchise. Of course, I could be wrong. And in the meantime, I'll keep browsing through it only because of Dani.

Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
I'm not too keen on the whole superhero registering thing either. It's like a big allegory for what happens when formerly carefree kids grow up, stop having fun for fun's sake and decide there needs to be rules to playing. The whole things sucks some of the fun out of the concept of superheroes. One being that having powers is supposed to fulfill the fantasy of being *free* to do amazing things. Now there's paperwork and punishemnt if you don't follow the rules. This is like the perverted culmination of what Spider-Man started by stating "With great power comes great responsibility." Because now it's all responsibility and burden.
Hear, hear!

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#480703 04/09/07 08:50 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I flipped it open in the local store and wasn't impressed with some nobody dissing the New Warriors. (I didn't buy it. With the exception of the Thunderbolts issues that tied into Civil War, I've bought nothing tainted by that abomination, and have also dropped the Thunderbolts, as well as other Marvel titles, because of it...)

Gauntlet's working for Hank Pym, architect of the slaughter of thousands in whatever nameless European backwater Ultron massacred, and Tony Stark, famous for killing a senator on live television, and responsible for the deaths of two superheroes (one in the Armor Wars, one more recently), and he's making noise about power and responsibility?

If I were Justice, I would be on the run, after telekinetically dismantling that losers bionic arm and sticking it where the sun don't shine...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#480704 04/09/07 09:50 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Set:
If I were Justice, I would be on the run, after telekinetically dismantling that losers bionic arm and sticking it where the sun don't shine...
And hence the reason for the premise of New New New New Warriors becomes clear, no?

Originally posted by Stealth (All-Avengers thread):
Here's another thing that makes me hopeful -- Bendis' Avengers books may be selling well, but let's not forget that Morrison's X-Men sold well at the time and was hyped as being "edgy", but today it's generally looked at as little more than a footnote.
A lot of that is because Marvel deliberately hit the Rewind button on several aspects of Morrison's run. Although not on what a friend of mine charitably calls "the Scott/Emma freakshow." And Morrison's run was almost entirely self-contained for what it was - the only real spinoff was New Mutants v2, which used its' own characters.

And New Avengers is reliably nearer the top of the charts than New X-Men was.

Originally posted by Stealth (All-Avengers thread):
For the moment, I must report that I browsed through Avengers: The Initiative # 1 and found it dreary and mean-spirited. I think that Marvel made a big mistake by turning it into an ongoing at the last minute. Hey, maybe it'll be the first scratch in the armor of the current Avengers.
Doubt it - specific premise by Slott, based on the landscape established by Millar. If it flunks (and notice how the logo layout makes the title look like just "Avengers" - 5-10 other books this month have identical "THE INITIATIVE" banners. A wee bit naughty, especially since the covers give more prominence to the Mighty Avengers team than anyone actually in the cast), it's just convincing Marvel that no-one but Bendis should write the Avengers...

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#480705 04/09/07 10:05 PM
Even if Reboot's predictions turn out to be true, I'll just be philosophical about it. C'est la vie.

#480706 04/09/07 10:18 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Reboot:
And hence the reason for the premise of New New New New Warriors becomes clear, no?
What premise is that? I'm totally out of the loop in the Marvel Universe.

#480707 04/09/07 11:05 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Arachne:
Originally posted by Reboot:
[b]And hence the reason for the premise of New New New New Warriors becomes clear, no?
What premise is that? I'm totally out of the loop in the Marvel Universe.[/b]
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=106667
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=102799
http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001760

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#480708 04/09/07 11:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Arachne, Pym is creating new superheroes. I think the new title Champions (with a guy called Kitson doing the art) will show us that.

I hope Dani does get some powers as well. Nice to see some cross-pollination. Always wanted Dani (& Sunspot) to join the Avengers. Hopefully Pym has a "serum" for her? I still think she should have Valkyrie powers.

Set, you bring up some good points. They are so hard on the New Warriors but Hank Pym (via Ultron) may be responsible for more deaths.

As for all the New Warriors bashing? This is Dan Slott. He's using it as a setup for the old Warriors to defend themselves. Justice? Rage? They are not going to let that fly, trust me. It will be addressed. Slott is going to stand up for the Warriors at some point if you ask me.

Arachne, Ultra Girl is the teen version of Ms. Marvel. She has kree infused powers and she is one of the trainees. (orange suit short blond hair).

Stealth, you already are at AI in your Avengers thread??? I need to catch up!!!

(i am drunk right now)

#480709 04/09/07 11:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Don't drink and post! You look stupid just like me.

(this msg is for all the young posters and I, um, hit the wrong button)

#480710 04/09/07 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Stealth, you already are at AI in your Avengers thread??? I need to catch up!!!
There's no urgency. Cobie took over the chronology and the thread is currently at the end of the Johns era. What I do now is interject snarky remarks about current Avengers books. smile

#480711 04/30/07 05:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/May07/previews/initiative.html

A preview! <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">It appears MVP is alive. I understand he may look like Deathlok now or something but I hope they don't make him a villain. Just a tragic hero.</span></span>

#480712 04/30/07 08:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hmm, cool. I'm not looking at the preview, though. smile

#480713 05/02/07 11:48 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Whew! I didn't think what they seemed to be hinting at in the preview would actually happen-- but it sure might've. I'm glad, as the character in question is one I like alot... though not in this identity.

I really wanted a more cohesive scene for the Texas Rangers (am I getting their name right?) Funny, I was thinking about Red Wolf the other day, and here he is... briefly (very).

Is the new tutor who I think it is? I didn't realize Trauma was actually a shape-changer, too. Guess I didn't read very closely. I still like Cloud 9 the best. And Justice.

#480714 05/04/07 09:04 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't know. Who do you think the new tutor is? smile

It's <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">Moonstar</span></span> if you really want to know.

I liked this a lot. I was afraid the instructors would be in minor rolls, but now it looks like they'll be getting equal time. Gauntlet's still a jerk, though. Someone needs to kick his ass.

I don't think MVP is alive, Jorge. Although he's still a factor in the story. The Nazi's planing something, I think.

#480715 05/07/07 11:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I finally read #2 and loved it! Hank didn't die. Like Mystery Lad I hate that he is YJ again.

Arachne, yeah it appears MVP is quite dead. frown

I agree the instructors have nice roles. I like Justice in this very much thus far. The Beast and Dani Moonstar???

I am not sure about giving kids a jetpack so they can do an ariel battle against SHIELD. Kind of goes against the entire Initiative thing.

Love the Rangers. Living Lightning and no Firebird? What I love the most is that it reminds me of the old GIJOE very much!

#480716 05/08/07 06:03 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I thought Firebird WAS there.

So I'm taking it the Rangers are Texas' official superteam?

I actually think the idea of a an official team in every state is a cool one. With Slott writing this, how long before the Great-Lakes Avengers/X-men show up?

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#480717 05/08/07 06:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Lash, I remember seeing her in a promo somewhere before but not this comic. I wish American Eagle was there. Warren Ellis writing him very good over in T-Bolts. Sadly, i think he's going to die.

#480718 06/07/07 03:34 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#3 is out! This is might be my fave title right now. We got some great Komodo moments! Nice secret identity!!!

Nice Dani Moonstar moments with Trauma! Awesome action with War Machine, Komodo, Spidey, Hydoman, the Shocker, and who was the other guy? Boomerang? I forgot.

So what's up with Hardball???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,426
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Rusty Shackleford
Rusty Shackleford
Palm Bay FL
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star