Roll Call
0 members (), 38 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PROMETHEA
#481552 02/13/05 05:55 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Did anyone here, this past week, either buy or see displayed "Promethea" issue 32? It's the final issue of the title, and was originally scheduled to be in stores on 9 February. My own store neither received it nor has it on the schedule for arriving on 16 February.

The final issue creates a bit of a stunt, likely causing delays in printing: All its pages will, if cut apart and reassembled, create a large two-sided poster with its own overall image. And that probably means every page will "bleed" off the cut edges.

You'd really need to buy three copies if you created the posters yourself. One for each side, and a third copy to keep and read intact. Those posters, o'course, are also being sold separately! Greedy l'il Wildstorm buggers {g}

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 09/25/14 09:05 PM.
Re: PROMETHEA 32 (final issue)
#481553 02/13/05 06:36 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Newsarama had it listed in its shipping delays article as coming out this week (2/16), Grey. There was a special edition of the final issue solicited at the same time as the regular #32, that would unfold into the overall image. But if I remember correctly, it was more expensive to get that one special issue than it would be to buy those three copies of the regular edition! Money-grubbing, indeed! lol shake

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#481554 02/15/05 04:58 PM
Magically Delicious
Magically Delicious
According to Brian Hibbs' Comix Experience reviews blog, where he also posts the list of comics that arrive each week, the following are on the list of items shipped this week:

PROMETHEA #32
PROMETHEA VARIANT EDITION #32

Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!
#481555 02/17/05 08:34 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I stand corrected-- at $50 retail, the variant would buy almost 16 copies of the regular #32... frown KEE-riipes! shake

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#481556 02/17/05 09:30 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Were you able to find it, Grey? I don't know if it's out, but I'll try to look for it for you on Sunday, when I go to the CBS.

#481557 02/17/05 11:36 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Not yet, but my local store doesn't open for another hour and a half. I never make it down there on Wednesdays. Thanks, and I'll let you know if they have it for me after all.

One current series ("LSH" v5) and a few limited series aren't enough to justify the cost of a pull box. Besides, what would I do with that "Previews" phone book every month?

I almost got a box when "Promethea" and "Sojourn" were around, along with "The Legion," but they're both gone now. Too many titles just don't stay around.

#481558 02/18/05 06:24 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Here's apparently what it looks like cut up into poster form http://www.dvandom.com/images/promethea32.JPG

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#481559 02/18/05 07:26 PM
Substitute
Substitute
My retailer said there was supposed to be a poster of the final portrait shipping at the same time as the final issue, but it was delayed.

Very didactic, but pretty, finale for the series.

I used to get high on life, but I built up a tolerance.
#481560 02/19/05 06:00 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Wow. ElasticLad

I ran out and got a copy off the shelves. Absolutely gorgeous. I love how it reads equally well as a pamphlet and as the two individual posters. Yes, I ripped this sucker apart and spread it out on my den floor!

Absolutely astounding work. The whole run was. But this... I don't have the words for it. I can't say that I "got" everything Moore discusses in this series, but I have -gotten- alot out of it.

Can't wait to hear what you thought fo the final issue, Grey. smile

#481561 02/22/05 03:05 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I guess Rich Johnston liked it. From this week's LitG:

F**KING GREAT COMIC BOOK

Just spent the weekend reading "Promethea" #32, spread out over my lounge floor. It's more of a grimoire than a comics narrative, and if you're waiting for the trade, it won't spoil anything. Doesn't even matter if you've never read an issue before.

I recommend reading it with a good bottle of red wine (a decent Merlot, for choice). Then reading it again with mushrooms. It's Alan Moore's Answer To Life, the Universe and Everything.

It's also the first genius comic work of the 21st century.

#481562 02/25/05 01:36 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
I'm not reading that thing with any f***ing Merlot wink (a bow-by-paraphrased-quote to the little comedy that could, "Sideways," one film I'm rooting for on Oscar Night) ... it'd get too confusing.

It's compelling, what I've read of it, but I couldn't get very far yet, because they printed it with some pages upside down in the booklet form. I don't see why they did that, since anyone managing the (literal) cut-and-paste would slice it all apart anyway.

They did, though, put a note about having done so on the inside front cover. And it's 32 pages plus 4 of cover without ads, for once and last, a bit of a bonus for long-time readers. That also makes it sell for $3.95, along with the cost of having "bleeds" on every edge of every page.

I guess I was hoping the series would end with something more linear, easier to follow ... but it hasn't kept to those limits earlier, to, yes, genius effect, so why should it have started now? The art is compelling and detailed, as always, even when suddenly inverted.

Thanks for the link to the finished two sides of the poster. I wouldn't have had the patience for assembling it all, and my wallet didn't have the strength to bear getting the wall versions.

#481563 02/25/05 05:44 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I skipped the Merlot and went right for the peyote m'self... wink drool

#481564 02/25/05 05:55 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
An afterthought: I wish now I'd written down the page "numbers" as published. Right now, my one copy is only readable as the two posters. :rolleyes:

Ah, well, I'll figure it out from the copy I actually preordered, and then I'll FULLY dissect this one, so I can read the pamphlet version without pages inverted; It felt kinda dirty to be flipping the book around to look at pictures of naked women... A bit of a flashback to holding a copy of PLAYBOY sideways to flip open the centerfold, I guess. laugh lol

Re: PROMETHEA
Greybird #822413 09/25/14 08:52 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
So, two trades in (12 issues), and I'm blown away and loving Promethea. I just read the tarot issue, and earlier this morning the sex magic issue, and the two of them are two of the best issues I've read in a long time. They are essential Moore. The brilliance of the tarot issue is astonishing: the interpretation, how it's presented, the rhymes...just astounding.

And Williams' art is phenomenal, as he brings an equal degree of brilliance in the art.

As with most Moore comics, I find myself a bit at a loss for words to describe it. Only that I am enjoying these trades immensely, and I plan to continue onwards all the way through in this one sitting.

Greybird #822464 09/26/14 09:03 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Love... love... love Promethea. So glad you're reading it Cobie; it's absolutely my all time favorite.

About a year ago, my wife - who is decidedly not a comic book reader - finally agreed to check out a series of my choice on one condition... I had to read the entire series out loud to her, storybook-style.

Suffice to say... I do a mean "Jack Faust" voice (my "Stacia" isn't too shabby, either). smile

Greybird #822470 09/26/14 10:37 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So, how does the infamous last issue read in collected form?

Greybird #822495 09/26/14 04:43 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Promethea is wonderful. I said this before in a reply to Teeds (I don't remember which thread, sorry), but Promethea cleansed me of Catholic guilt and helped me to stop worrying about the apocalypse. Lofty claims for a comic book, but there you go!

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Greybird #823339 10/03/14 09:37 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I've spent a lot of time over the last decade trying to understand secret societies, sacred knowledge, "infamous magicians", conspiracies, and all sorts of alternative history. And in recent years, I've ventured off into exploring concepts of what God might really be, based on recent scientific discoveries.

Little did I know Alan Moore would spell so much of it out for me.

I just finished Promethea's journey through the various realms and pathways, ending with none other than God. It was brilliant. Utterly brilliant.

What a fantastic series. I'm about 9 issues away from the end now.

Greybird #823347 10/03/14 10:09 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
MAN, Promethea was great! Such a challenging read as to what a comic book can be but without ever losing its clarity and humanity! Morrison is SUCH a wannabe in comparison! nod

I definitely must re-read this at some point. Its original publication was...spotty...as you can imagine with Williams as the artist. So, as awesome as it was, some of its impact was probably lost in the publication gaps. But even then, it was one of the best comics ever! nod

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Greybird #823372 10/03/14 01:23 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Wow... it's been almost ten years(!) since I finished PROMETHEA. So glad to see people are still discovering this fantastic series. I need to revisit it at some point in the not-TOO-far future... Mind-expanding, thought-provoking tour de force by the creators. It capped Moore's work for me, and cemented JHW3's place as one of my must-follow artists.

Greybird #824120 10/08/14 01:59 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lardy says "such a challenging read as to what a comic book can be but without ever losing its clarity and humanity" and that is really a spot-on compliment for Promethea and most of Moore's work. It never loses focus, even when its at its most abstract, and that is something every other single writer struggles with.

I just finished it today at lunch. It was fantastic. Utterly fantastic.

I have a ton to get through before I can even consider any of the other ABC Comics but I think next I'll do Tom Strong. I also may try to pick up the single issues of Tomorrow Stories to read here and there, since I'm told reading them all in a row may be repetitive. But I love a good anthology full of charming short stories, and this seems right up my alley if taken in small doses.

Greybird #835124 01/15/15 04:57 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Tomorrow Stories was fun, especially stuff like Hillary Barta's SPLASH BRANNIGAN... I need to doublecheck and make sure I have all of them. The post-Moore TOP TEN and Terra Obscura minis, while great to look at, were definitely missing something. I *did* like TOM STRONG & The PLANET of PERIL.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,116
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Copycat Girl
Copycat Girl
Somewhere in New Metropolis. Got lost looking for Legion Headquarters.
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star