Roll Call
1 members (Nightcrawler), 32 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 03:19 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: Captain America
#484495 08/24/12 01:11 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
As much as I enjoy Bru's WS, I am much more psyched about Bru doing more creator-owned! So definitely feeling good about this!

Captain America: Steve Rogers #1
Fanfic Lady #897748 05/25/16 01:30 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Steve Rogers is a Nazi now.

Sarcasm Kid #897749 05/25/16 01:35 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid

That's so pitiful, all I can do is laugh.

I wish they'd fire Axel Alonso. He may well be the worst EiC Marvel has ever had. At least Joe Quesada had the courage of his lunatic convictions. Alonso just plods along and drags down the whole Marvel line with him.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #897751 05/25/16 01:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Okay seriously, who the $%^& is watching the door at Marvel? How did an antisemitic nine year old get in.

Why does Marvel hate love?

Fanfic Lady #897752 05/25/16 01:51 PM
Marvel doesn't hate love, Marvel is amoral. They're just desperate to be cutting edge, even though they haven't been for the last 40 years.

Sarcasm Kid #897757 05/25/16 03:11 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid

Actually, Steve Rogers has always been a Nazi / Agent of Hydra. Ever since he was 4F-Steve Rogers in 1941.

Kind of like if Superman has been working for Lex Luthor ever since June of 1938. And Batman is actually one of the Jokers minions.

Show me the monkey!
ferroboy #897768 05/25/16 05:28 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Nick Spencer's response to the over 9000 tweets of blind, unbelievable rage at what he's done:

"I can't respond to 9000 tweets per second, but if I could, I would say I admire your passion"

ferroboy #897775 05/26/16 12:50 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
The plot isn't my cup of tea.

Buuut, I wouldn't get too outraged. It's obvious what he's doing. Cap was recently "de-aged" through some cosmic nonsensical means. And Spencer is introducing a plot where when he was a boy a hydra agent protected he and his mother, thereby making him feel some kinship to Hydra ideology. So what Spencer will do --once he's put fans through the ringer--is reveal Cap isn't really a believer in Hydra, but that the de-aging process somehow triggered those emotions and feelings he had when he was 8 years old (or whatever) and Hydra / Zemo / whoever took advantage of it and made him think he is a Hydra agent.

Note this revelation will only occur once fans are outraged, sales are up and then go back down, and the media "heat" passes. This is a classic Marvel swerve story that would take one issue in the Silver Age or Bronze Age. Marvel is using every last trick to get people to buy their comics (except for that ol' fashioned one of telling great stories).

ferroboy #897792 05/26/16 05:38 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, anyone who's seen what Marvel does will know that there's a backdoor planned. I know there's a "swerve" planned, but it really doesn't feel like something that's worth the ride or even reading in trade form.

Somewhere on FB, it's being compared to the Superior Spider-Man. I'd disagree. As controversial as that was, at least you can argue that it was the culmination of the Spidey/Ock rivalry. It was also very well-done and had the same writer before, during and after it all. The only real downside of it was editorial's insistence that Peter was 'really' dead and gone.

This is not anything close to Superior Spider-man. Even if it is (likely) a Red Skull or Zemo revenge plot, the whole thing centers around the short term defamation of his character. While Ock's action defamed Spidey in the public eye in-story, we always knew it was Ock in there from the beginning.

It just seems stupid and pointless.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
ferroboy #897799 05/26/16 06:46 AM
Well said, Lardy. I think you got right to the core of the topic.

ferroboy #897803 05/26/16 08:56 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I agree that it's pointless for me too. But the sad part is that right now, Alonso and company are looking at the Twitter reactions and media coverage, and are patting each other on the back, saying "see! I told you! I knew this would work!"

This is exactly why they did this. And that's a sad state of affairs for the current Marvel.

ferroboy #897807 05/26/16 09:34 AM
Cobie's right. They've been relying on that "shocking stunt" crap since Disassembled, over a decade now.

ferroboy #897811 05/26/16 10:37 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
They should just write Matlock in. He'll expose what's really going on. It's probably some scheme enacted by that evil Gavin McCloud.

ferroboy #897841 05/26/16 02:11 PM
Substitute
Substitute

Show me the monkey!
ferroboy #898287 05/30/16 02:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
God, I had to list three variant sets for the first issue and all three of them sold within half a day. I feel sick.

ferroboy #898288 05/30/16 03:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I don't read Captain America but I'm just popping in to say that Jesus Saiz's art looks really beautiful in all the previews I've seen.

I knew he was destined for big things when I first saw his work years ago. I wish DC had utilized him better.

ferroboy #898332 05/31/16 07:20 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Apparently this issue sold like gangbusters, so Jesus should be making out okay!

All that internet outrage ended up producing a hefty payday for Marvel and their Disney overlords. Which means Alonso and company are moving ahead full steam ahead for their next marketing scheme in 2016 Q3!

ferroboy #898334 05/31/16 08:38 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Can't wait for Fantastic Four: Agents of Doom

Dave Hackett #898337 05/31/16 09:25 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Apparently this issue sold like gangbusters, so Jesus should be making out okay!

All that internet outrage ended up producing a hefty payday for Marvel and their Disney overlords. Which means Alonso and company are moving ahead full steam ahead for their next marketing scheme in 2016 Q3!

https://twitter.com/TheBigBang_/status/737388418397786112
A few [buyers] were complaining that Marvel were only doing it for the money WHILE LITERALLY HANDING US MONEY FOR CAPTAIN AMERICA STEVE ROGERS #1!

In other news...
Originally Posted by Ed Brubaker
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/27/ed-brubaker-talks-captain-america/
I get loving superhero comics and I get following characters, believe me. And I love when I see people dressed as the Winter Soldier or shipping “Stucky” but I feel like way too many comic readers act almost like they’re forced to buy Marvel and DC books, like it’s a government program or something. It’s not. There are plenty of great comics where the art is by the same people every issue, where there is never a fill-in issue or a reboot or a retcon. In fact, many of the creators who you love on Marvel and DC books are doing their finest work outside those big companies – Jason Aaron’s Southern Bastards and The Goddamned are two of my favorite comics, Kieron and Jamie did a great run on Young Avengers, but Wicked + Divine is them unfiltered. I don’t have to tell you about Saga and Bitch Planet and Sex Criminals, I’m sure. All by creators who made big names at Marvel or DC, all of whom are happier doing work that they totally control.

Look, anyway, you all know this, most likely if you’re on my mailing list is because you read my current comics. But after a day of people screeching at me about a comic I had nothing to do with, I remembered how happy I was not to be part of that world anymore. People are constantly asking why I don’t go back to Marvel, assuming there was some huge problem that caused me to leave, but really it was just a slow burnout, tiring of endless events and stunts and reboots.

Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Can't wait for Fantastic Four: Agents of Doom

Don't be daft. That would involve publishing a Fantastic Four comic!

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
ferroboy #898339 05/31/16 09:52 AM
^^Brubaker is very wise.

Reboot #898340 05/31/16 10:14 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by Reboot

Don't be daft. That would involve publishing a Fantastic Four comic!

rotflmao

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
ferroboy #898962 06/06/16 02:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Paste Magazine online has a thoughtful article about the Captain America / Hydra story.

Here's paragraph two:
"Premiering in Captain America Comics #1, Marvel’s patriotic superhero debuted in a now-iconic image of the character tossing a haymaker across Adolf Hitler’s jaw. But with a publication date of March 1941, the issue hit newsstands months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, which forced American involvement in World War II. And at a time when countless Americans (including automobile icon Henry Ford and famed aviator Charles Lindbergh) accepted and spread the same anti-Semitic ideology as the Nazis in Germany, Captain America punching Hitler was more controversial than we may think today. Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, Captain America’s creators, were Jewish, and the death threats were numerous and credible enough that New York City mayor Fiorello LaGuardia had to assure the men that they had his full support and protection."

And here's the last paragraph:
"And that’s the real tragedy: it’s not that Captain America is a Nazi. It’s that the icon has been robbed of an author. His purpose for being has been replaced with the urgent need to sell Hostess fruit pies or workout shirts. Similarly degraded, Nazis have been shrunken down to a cheap marketing ploy—and their actions have been robbed of their vehemence and tragedy. Captain America means nothing; his anti-Fascist, anti-Nazi origins overwritten into obscurity, a copy of a copy of a copy that no longer resembles the original."

You can read the whole thing here.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
ferroboy #901483 06/29/16 02:29 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Well, that didn't take long.

After one issue, Captain America is no longer a Nazi. The only surprising thing here is how quickly Marvel backtracked on their initial choice, though it was clear Captain America would not actually be a Hydra agent forever.

In an interview Captain America: Steve Rogers writer Nick Spencer gave with Entertainment Weekly just one month ago, he said, “The one thing we can say unequivocally is: This is not a clone, not an imposter, not mind control, not someone else acting through Steve. This really is Steve Rogers, Captain America himself.”

Well, turns out it was mind control.

In Captain America: Steve Rogers #2, it will be revealed that Captain America just thinks he’s a Nazi, err, I mean, Hydra agent, because he had false memories implanted by “Kobik, the sentient Cosmic Cube who became a girl.”

Show me the monkey!
Cobalt Kid #901485 06/29/16 02:48 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
It's hard to say they've "backtracked". I've read the issue now - there's no way in hell that CA:SR #2 could have been rewritten/redrawn in time to change it in the way "backtracked" implies. This HAS to have been the plan.

There's an interview with Spencer on it here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...ydra-secrets-cosmic-connections/view=all

The plot isn't my cup of tea.

Buuut, I wouldn't get too outraged. It's obvious what he's doing. Cap was recently "de-aged" through some cosmic nonsensical means. And Spencer is introducing a plot where when he was a boy a hydra agent protected he and his mother, thereby making him feel some kinship to Hydra ideology. So what Spencer will do --once he's put fans through the ringer--is reveal Cap isn't really a believer in Hydra, but that the de-aging process somehow triggered those emotions and feelings he had when he was 8 years old (or whatever) and Hydra / Zemo / whoever took advantage of it and made him think he is a Hydra agent.

Not quite
It's all Cosmic Cube'd history. None of it happened in "real" history.

Note this revelation will only occur once fans are outraged, sales are up and then go back down, and the media "heat" passes. This is a classic Marvel swerve story that would take one issue in the Silver Age or Bronze Age. Marvel is using every last trick to get people to buy their comics (except for that ol' fashioned one of telling great stories).

Actually, the only *really* surprising thing about the way this has been revealed is that it's fully unveiled in #2 rather than being spun out for a year or so before the explanation.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
ferroboy #901538 06/30/16 06:52 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah, I'm pretty surprised they didn't let this thing drag out. They must never have expected that internet outrage or they would have really exploited it.

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,192
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Vee
Vee
Paragon City on patrol
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star