Roll Call
0 members (), 33 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/06/24 12:26 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/05/24 08:12 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/05/24 06:37 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/05/24 05:46 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/05/24 05:45 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 05:14 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by thoth lad - 05/05/24 03:56 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
The All-New Atom
#492484 07/10/06 11:09 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
random thoughts:
-- The cover makes Atom look like a much older guy (and the hair's all wrong). Didn't someone provide reference for the way he looks?
-- I like this new start for a legacy character. It was smart to introduce someone who was a (retconned) protege of sorts to Ray Palmer, scientist rather than one who was following just in his superhero footsteps.
-- Simone is certainly challenging herself by creating a supporting cast of geniuses. I imagine she's having to do a lot of research to make them sound genuine. Still, if this series lasts I imagine the next writers are going to put them through the ringer, if not kill them all outright (at least one of them's probably going to become a mutated monster or something...)
-- I like the random quotations throughout - it puts things within a context of scientific exploration that seems key to the theme of this book.
-- the alien grammar (and nonsense phrases) sounds straight from Morrison alright...
-- Still not into this variation of Kane's classic design.
-- Are we seeing spoilers for the new JLA lineup here?? They could always say it was an "alternate future" I guess...

Re: The All-New Atom
#492485 07/11/06 03:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I enjoyed this. I liked the dog thing continuing from BRAVE NEW WORLD (and taking a much more serious turn). I enjoyed the reintroduction of Ivy Town, the university and the new supporting cast. Lots of potential there.

I, too, liked the quotes- but they could easily be overdone.

The aliens basically *are* a funky speech pattern with a plan! Will there be more to them?

Making Ryan Ray's 'apprentice' scientifcally, as well as The Atom goes a long way to allowing me to accept him. But will Ryan prove to be a strong enough character to claim the (or any) suit when Ray inevitably returns?

#492486 07/11/06 09:04 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I'm doubting that when Ray Palmer returns he'll don the costume or the name again. (mostly because of DC's push towards a more ethnically diverse lineup) He'll probably be a mentor type, *hopefully* bestowing on Ryan his old costume (I like the "boomstick" that was introduced in "Brave New World", but what's that thing on his back? It's u-g-l-y *ugly!*)

#492487 07/11/06 09:52 PM
Active
Active
I liked the first issue. Are so many geniuses really needed since our new hero has the smarts. And I take it they all know who the new Atom is what no secret id? I am going to give the book a chance since I love the Atom. Ray Palmer rocked so I will give the new kid a chance.

Looking for Earth Prime.
#492488 07/11/06 09:54 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The only good thing about this title is that Byrne has already been pulled off of it after issue #6. Maybe I'll start reading it with #7.

#492489 07/11/06 10:03 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
The only good thing about this title is that Byrne has already been pulled off of it after issue #6.
Huh?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#492490 07/11/06 11:32 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Could be wishful thinking on my part but All The Rage seemed to have heard the same:

Byrned Out

Comicdom’s favorite curmudgeon, John Byrne, has been tapped as one of the pencillers for the new DC universe horror anthology Tales of the Unexpected. The series will feature rotating artists, and Byrne will pencil a few of the Spectre stories featured in the series.

DC was not pleased after Byrne pulled out as the penciller of one of the Superman Returns tie-in books plotted by Bryan Signer. So don’t expect to see Byrne as the writer on any new DC projects soon, in fact, his role will be limited to that of an artist on limited runs or fill in issues. Issue 6, at the latest, will finish his tenure as penciller of the new Atom series.

This Has A “How To Make Friends And Influence People” Factor Of Seven Out Of Ten
Byrne, of course, denies it . But he's done that in the past with these "rumors" to put his spin on it.

#492491 07/12/06 12:12 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It was "a'ight". I like Byrne art...I liked the story. I'm a big Ray Palmer fan but I can accept this. Nice to see someone that isn't blond haired/blue eyed (not that there is anything wrong with that wink )

Still didn't grab me...but it has potential.

#492492 08/02/06 05:44 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
thoughts on THE ALL-NEW ATOM #2
-- Byrne's art seems pretty sloppy in places. It's not terrible, but I'm glad he's not sticking around. I think he was a bit miscast for this book. I think you need someone who can really make you feel that change in scale or who would bother doing a little research when it comes to how things look on a super macro scale.
-- The historic quotes are still fun, but I think Gail might be overdoing it with the chapter headings (and who are the various people who are supposed to be writing them?).
-- The alien invasion story is the least interesting part of the book to me. The hero and his group of friends, Ivy town and now especially the last two pages are what's going to bring me back for ish 3. (it's not very creative of me, but could the bald guy be Lex Luthor?? (does he and Palmer have any kind of past?))

#492493 08/03/06 12:09 AM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I enjoyed the first issue (haven't seen the second yet).

I enjoyed the academic setting, the "test" questions on the first page, and the super-geniuses playing poker and acting important. The quotes were fun at first, but grew tiresome.

"Inflict a beer nude"?? Ray Palmer is a Da Vinci Code fan?

Ryan is an interesting protagonist: A smart guy who enjoys the thrill of living in his mentor's home, finding his belt, etc. His accidental activation of the belt was funny, but also conveyed the sense one might feel in such a situation.

I read BRAVE NEW WORLD # 1 immediately after this and the Atom sequence was the only part I enjoyed. I don't give a whit about the dogs or the alien invaders (although their speech patterns were fun to read) -- I've just seen too many mega-crossovers. But Ryan's unfamliarity with his powers and interplay with his colleagues made this chapter stand out.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
#492494 08/06/06 11:38 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
thoughts on THE ALL-NEW ATOM #2
-- Byrne's art seems pretty sloppy in places. It's not terrible, but I'm glad he's not sticking around.
I think his work here is pretty good- especially the spaceships and technical things. But I am looking forward to seeing who replaces him. Could be a lot worse.

-- The historic quotes are still fun, but I think Gail might be overdoing it with the chapter headings (and who are the various people who are supposed to be writing them?).
Interesting. I didn't notice that they were different hands, till you pointed it out! They don't match Ryan's scientist friends, do they? I wouldn't think that Dr. Dinawa wears pink nail-polish, but you never know.

-- The alien invasion story is the least interesting part of the book to me. The hero and his group of friends, Ivy town and now especially the last two pages are what's going to bring me back for ish 3.
I agree. I like the dog, too. I've wondered about Atom's mode of transport, since telephone lines aren't as convenient to use as they once were. Or are they? Hmmm. Anyway, a well-trained dog would be a good short-term solution. Maybe it could be joined by an owl for longer trips... and a dolphin for maritime escapades. The Atom and his Omni-Patrol!

(it's not very creative of me, but could the bald guy be Lex Luthor?? (does he and Palmer have any kind of past?))
I was thinking Chronos. I *really* hope it's not a 'dark' Ray Palmer.

#492495 08/06/06 05:02 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/rage/115492679947382,print.htm
Don’t Burn The Hand that Feeds You

As previously reported here, DC is not too happy with John Byrne lately. In fact, the situation is worse than what was once reported. Byrne has been yanked from Tales of the Unexpected, his stint as penciller on the all-new Atom has been shortened from six down to three issues, and his JLA Classified arc has been pushed back indefinitely.

Don’t expect to see any new projects from Byrne at DC anytime soon.

This Has A “Finish Next Men, Already” Factor Of Eight Out Of Ten

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

#492496 08/06/06 11:06 PM
Leader
Leader
I'm REALLY enjoying this series. Any word on who the post-Byrne art time will be? Examples of work anywhere?

#492497 08/06/06 11:14 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Eddy Barrows , artist, and Trevor Scott, inker, on #4. No word past that.

Scott inked a lot of Quitely on The Authority.

#492498 08/06/06 11:52 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
have to wonder what Byrne did to get blacklisted..other then the obvious.

I like this title, and I like Ryan Choi as the all new Atom.

#492499 08/07/06 09:57 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
As of #1, I'm hooked. Can't wait for #2. This is definately the best thing to come out of Brave New World and could wind up being one of DC's best series by years end.

#492500 08/07/06 12:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'd have to give UNCLE SAM AND THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS the nod for best BRAVE NEW WORLD graduate-- though ATOM's a close second.

MARTIAN MANHUNTER comes out this week, doesn't it? I'd be *very* surprised if it's anywhere near as good as USATFF and/or ATOM.

The SHAZAM series I fully expect to tick me off as much as it entertains- like most everything Winick writes these days.

And I'm passing on OMAC and CREEPER.

#492501 08/07/06 12:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I flipped through it. wasn't impressed. not that I expect to, with Byrne on the book, but it looked... well, tired, even for him.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#492502 08/07/06 07:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Simone continues to impress here by selling us on the characters as much as the plot.

The art is just not doing it for me, though.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#492503 08/08/06 09:18 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by rtvu2:
have to wonder what Byrne did to get blacklisted..other then the obvious.
According to Rich Johnson a month or so back, he pi$$ed off DC execs by pulling out of a Superman Returns project at the last minute because he objected to the movie on some sort of Byrne-principle.

#492504 08/10/06 12:06 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
He objected to the whole "Son of Superman" subplot. In fact he banned discussion about the movie on his board.

He said that Superman as a deadbeat dad runs contrary to everything he's tried to say in however many years of making superhero comics. Ironically the folks that hate the Byrne Superman reboot say the same thing about the story where Superman causes the death of the pocket universe phantom zone criminals.

#492505 08/18/06 09:27 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, Byrne leaving won't hinder the series at all and will probably help it.

Simone on the other hand is irreplacable. So far she's woven together some great characters and made Ryan Choi an extremely likeable hero. I'm looking forward to more of his adventures.

I love that he can 'feel' Ray Palmer around him--giving hope that Ray is indeed right there along side him, guiding him unseen. I look forward to their eventual meeting, but I'm ready to take my time and see how the comic continues to unfold.

#492506 10/08/06 03:56 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Byrne's gone and I'm both glad and (surprisingly) a little disappointed. For some reason the new artist is able to make the new costume less annoying to me (it actually wasn't at all annoying in a few panels). Still, I don't look forward to him having that hideous thing on his back. He also makes Ryan look like a doofus with that "a-ha!" grin on his face (and as a civilian he looks totally different from how Byrne drew him - I think he just looked up reference of the guy from "Lost" and drew that). And this is the part where I miss Byrne - he was able to give this diverse cast some personality and maybe it'll just take me a little time to get used to someone else drawing them, but they don't seem as personable as when Byrne drew them. There were also a couple of "off" moments with the art where the storytelling wasn't clear or when it seemed disjointed from the narration (especially where Ryan describes the sphere as "seamless", but the artist drew a big ring around the thing).

I'm still intrigued by the new villain. I like that he thinks he's a good guy of some kind and his inclusion added to the scientific quotes to the alienspeak and now these twisted poems, it seems like she's having fun with language or the power/meaning of words.

#492507 07/02/08 06:39 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
#25, out this week, sees the series conclude. There were some surprises (Ray *didn't* know Ryan previously... hmmm), and an unexpected death.

Blurbs at issue's end and on the DC page mention that Ryan's adventures will continue elsewhere in the DCU.

I wonder where?

#492508 07/03/08 09:44 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, this series started out strong but before the first year was over it had already began to decline in both storylines and art. By #25, the series was at the very bottom of my read pile.

Which is really too bad. This series also IMO stands as a great piece of evidence for someone who would make a case for why passing the mantle of the Atom was a huge mistake. Because a new character is introduced and then the series fails in execution and the character is forever tainted by that and seen as a 'lesser' Atom. Of course, the current Blue Beetle series makes the opposite case.

I'm dissapointed. I've got next to no connection to this Atom and at the end of the day I gave it two years and "my" Atom is still Ray Palmer. Chance had, result unsuccessful. If DC wants to diversify their heroes in regards to race and ethnicity there needs to be a follow through with great stories less they come off as an editorially driven company with no real heart and soul. I wanted to like Ryan Choi but well, no one really ever gave me a reason to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,137
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Brody27
Brody27
Tampa, FL
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star