Roll Call
0 members (), 27 Murran Spies, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 01:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:27 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:25 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/21/24 12:25 AM
The Archives Re-read Project Discussion Thread
by stile86 - 05/20/24 08:22 PM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by stile86 - 05/20/24 07:03 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Some GLORITH thoughts
#19348 07/21/05 06:48 PM
Candidate
OP Offline
Candidate
Looking back on the controversial "Giffbaum" era of the Legion, I was wondering if anyone else questioned the rationale behind making Glorith the Time Trapper's replacement in that reality. I never thought she measured up to the Time Trapper's villainous standard set under Levitz's writing, and therefore never impressed me as a character or a villain. For example, she had none of the menace that made the Emerald Empress (Sarya) so deliciously evil.

Instead of a coldly manipulative and ruthlessly patient strategist, there was a schemer who ranted and raved, pointed a finger and turned a few people into protoplasm. Also, I thought her unrequited love for Valor was vaguely sexist. Why would a woman as powerful as Glorith was harbor a crush for someone for 1,000 years?

I never could accept a villain as scattered as Glorith to fill in the void left by the Trapper's absence. It just didn't make sense to me, and left a mildly foul taste in my mouth.

Glorith could have been a great evil villain if she had been constructed like George Perez's Circe: totally evil, with no redeeming qualities. Then Glorith would have been a force to be reckoned with. With this new continuity, I wouldn't want to see Glorith if she behaves the way she prior to Zero Hour.

These are just some random thoughts, and any comments would be appreciated.

What was I thinking about?
Re: Some GLORITH thoughts
#19349 07/21/05 08:10 PM
A
Active
Active
A
I thought Glorith was fairly true to her silver-age roots. Thus, she wasn't as ominous as the or, necessarily, as devious as the Time Trapper. That was fine with me because I don't think I would have appreciated TT being replaced by someone just like him.

There were flaws to her depiction, such as that crush on Valor. But, I discount most of the Valor history because I was not particularly fond of it. Besides, any character with a few irrational flaws is much more real to me than any construct of "pure evil."

#19350 07/22/05 02:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by King of Snake:
Glorith could have been a great evil villain if she had been constructed like George Perez's Circe: totally evil, with no redeeming qualities.
I'm trying to recall, without success, what some of her redeeming qualities may have been.... wink

The 1000-year crush was a little goofy, depending on how it was portrayed. It seemed to be undecided between her seeing a need for a powerhouse consort to help her gain/consolidate/maintain power and an infatuation. This was a bit sexist - no fury like a woman scorned! or she's powerful - but she needs a real man to be complete.

I thought her best depiction was as first wife to Mordru: a real schemer with an understanding of and desire for power. Here she was coldly manipulated (although maybe not purely evil.) Her fatal flaw was not the school girl crush, but ultimately over-reaching: she became the Time Trapper but failed. For a Time Trapper, she had pretty plebian tastes - to rule the Khunds and expand their mortal empire? The legionnaires defeated this plan; she only succeeded, with the help of Mordru (always needing a man! she should talk to Thora), to wipe out all existence - herself included? Unknown - unanswered and likely to remain so.

Still, I liked Glorith as a time-manipulating, somewhat nympho character and would be interested in seeing her "WaKed".

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#19351 07/22/05 11:08 AM
Active
Active
I actually found her more threatening than the almost omniscient Time Trapper. He was more a force of nature with phenomonal cosmic power; she was a psychotic with phenomonal cosmic power. She was guided almost entirely by whim, which made her much more dangerous.

That said, I still think she was generally misused in the post-TMK issues.

#19352 07/22/05 11:58 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
My only real problem with Glorith is that she never really measured up to Time Trapper. As DL says above TT like a force of nature. While Glorith had a few moments where she almost lived up to the trappers legacy; most of the timme she just acted like a "psycho" ex-girlfreind. Poor characterization and usage for the most part.

#19353 07/22/05 04:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I could really relate to Glorith and her desire to have a big, strong, handsome consort! Also, I could relate to her hissy fits.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,551
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Annoying Lad, DanteSF, Daulton Tripman, lancesrealm
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
Yonkers N.Y
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star