Roll Call
1 members (razsolo), 35 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/04/24 11:08 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A word of thanks, appreciation and a question - REBOOT LEGION
#1000031 03/21/21 08:11 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
(NOTE - this is an appreciation for the content on this forum, so if this needs to move to a more appropriate location, mods please let me know - this is my first post on this board since February of 2009 so don't remember all the board nuances)

TL;DR - I'm a reader from the Reboot Legion who is dissatisfied with where the Legion ended up the last 10 years and is really appreciating Invisible Braniac's and DrakeB3004's work. Follow on question is where to find other good Reboot fic on the web.

I came into the Legion as a recommendation of a colleague of mine around '94 or so just before the Zero Hour event, as I was a big DC fan at the time (mainly Batman) and love futuristic Sci-Fi, so jumping into the Legion seemed to make sense, and starting out with the #0 issues of Legionnaires and LSH was a no brainer. Next thing I know I realize there is this rich tapestry of a history that went back over 30 years full of amazing tales and relationships between a TON of characters. But I was getting on board with a NEW Legion and was being introduced to re-introduced classic characters as well as new characters to everyone. The care with which the creators (Waid, Peyer, McCraw & Carlson) paced out the story and made sure every character had some kind of a voice or role in the action stood out to me, and characters almost always got a chance to get a spotlight in an issue every six months (or so it seemed). This book helped me really get through some challenging times in my life in the 90s, as it was always a place I could go to for some kind of escape, and interacting with the community on USENET was almost always fun. During this time period was the Emerald Violet story, and by this time, Vi had become a very fond character to me as I related to her, myself being a huge introvert with functional extroversion capabilities. So her story through Emerald Vi and her eventual redemption and growth was very inspiring to me and was one of several touchpoints in my life that I used to fundamentally change my circumstances, so I became attached to her character, her close friendship with Zoe, and the rest of the team.

So eventually, the Peyer/McCraw team moves on, replaced by DnA. I was reading irregularly at this point due to at first a demanding new job that kept me busy and in my car quite a bit, then by starting a family, so I was reading the books as I could. I really enjoyed the deeper sci-fi direction of the book, but my main problem was the way DnA would focus on certain characters more; they didn't really give as many characters a voice, although you may see them in action in the background. Then the Legion monthly starts up. Again some cool stuff, but Zoe the Terrorform? Ugh. I get that they dropped the ball with her character a couple times, but I felt that she was a terrific supporting character for the book and had great interactions (when not a vegetable) with the team, but I felt like instead of developing her just turned her into a plot device/character for whom they didn't need to write dialog, so was extremely underwhelmed with this plot and character choice. Also, characterization - I don't think they connected into the way that Zoe had been portrayed prior, and they effectively ignored the relationship with her best friend.

Threeboot comes along, which I enjoyed (up until Shooter), then the Lightning Saga, which I really enjoyed, until the Legion of 3 Worlds. Geoff Johns and team not only essentially invalidate and erase the Legion team that I loved (never to be seen again), but also killed off Kinetix in such an ignominous way - "Lame Lass"? C'mon Johns, who pissed in your Wheaties? So I left that book with an extremely bad taste in my mouth to the point of me basically skipping the retroboot.

Which leads me to today. There's yet another new Legion, completely different from anything that I've connected with before (and I'm trying to give this one a chance). With COVID vaccinations finally rolling out, I've had more time to get back into comics, and Legion, specifically (during dark times, it helps me), but was crestfallen with the realization of the fact that I'll likely never see the group and characters I connected with 25 years ago ever again. With the way the last year's been with stress and long hours, I went into a kind of mourning - kind of like dealing with all stages of grief at the same time.

Then I read IB's super creative story about the Legion pulling Zoe out of limbo and recreating Earth 247 really lifted my spirits and snapped me out of my funk. We have Zoe, Vi and all the rest back where they belong and having new, fun adventures, with spot on characterizations.

Then I read Drake's comic with the retroboot pulling in the reboot characters - I'm in heaven. Great stuff that gave me hope that these characters still live on in our hearts and minds, regardless of the dunderheads at DC and WB.

So a huge toast to IB and Drake for keeping the flame alive for a universe and characters from that universe that the rest of DC could care less about (I mean hell, Zoe never even got a memorial, since her entire universe was editorially wiped out). You guys helped an old comics fan get out of the funk of 2020, and I haven't even been able to get a vaccine yet! Major props and cheers, my brothers. Your creations had an absolute positive affect on me, and I am hugely grateful.

This also leads to another question - Are there other places on the internet where decent fic from the Reboot era can be found? I seem to remember a bunch of it being around 15 years ago or so (I specifically remember a story where Ferro was trying to get the courage to ask VI out which has seemed to have disappeared from the internet), but I haven't been able to find much. I'm not sure if its just my ineptitude with the Google machine that is giving me problems, or the fact that its all disappered n the last 20 years or so. If folks can point me in the right direction around that, I'd appreciate it!

Peace! (and hope to be interacting on the board more in general)
GL

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Re: A word of thanks, appreciation and a question - REBOOT LEGION
Gaseous Lad #1000034 03/22/21 12:47 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Hi Gaseous Lad, thank you for your kind words! This shout out is just what I needed to start the day well wink I had similar feelings about the Legion that you do - I grew up with the Reboot era in my formative years, where they got me through some tough times. DnA, I also liked the more sci-fi elements and the scale, but hated the direction so many characters like Zoe went. XS and Gates were also criminally underused, Nura's vision of Star Boy's grave went nowhere, Tinya and Jo got into a really rough patch... and Legion of 3 Worlds, Zoe's death ruined the whole thing for me. I started my fic as a way of honoring the Reboot, and Legion of 3 Worlds really spurred me to not only finish what I started, but to restore the Reboot team to where they rightfully belong wink It's very fanfic-y, and I intended it to be that way - and I like it that way, if DC won't honor that Legion then I will. So thank you for sharing that it helped you through 2020, that the characterizations were spot on to what you remember about the team. I am absolutely thrilled to hear that.

DRAKE's story is another one that makes me happy = Drake's Zoe and XS are spot on too, in my opinion.

As for fic recommendations -

Right on these boards,

Omni has taken the Legion in a diff direction, what if they ended up in another reality (so same jumping point off as my fic): https://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=115377#Post115377

Ivy has one focusing on a relationship between Lyle and Brainy https://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=994770#Post994770

Harbinger took the Retroboot Legion, but has added several Reboot faves - new universal versions of Kinetix and Kid Quantum II, and the original XS and Gates who stayed over in that reality, among others (Gear, Monstress, Magno have all appeared in some form!) https://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=995117#Post995117

razsolo did the same, Retroboot Legion but added some Reboot faves - a spot on version of Zoe! Magno also appears in sme form https://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=124264&page=1

As for fic elsewhere, that uses the actual Reboot universe as a setting -

https://archiveofourown.org/works/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&work_search%5Bquery%5D=legion+of+super is a good site for that. Though I haven't read much fic, sadly, so I cannot recommend individual ones. but the good thing is, each entry comes with a brief description and tags, so it's easy to see at a glance if something is about the Reboot smile

Happy reading, and hope 2021 continues to take an upward trajectory for you!

Invisible Brainiac #1000038 03/22/21 05:03 AM
Ivy Offline
Substitute
Substitute
Oh hey, thanks for the shout out IB.

Invisible Brainiac #1000051 03/22/21 12:35 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Hi Gaseous Lad, thank you for your kind words! This shout out is just what I needed to start the day well wink I had similar feelings about the Legion that you do - I grew up with the Reboot era in my formative years, where they got me through some tough times. DnA, I also liked the more sci-fi elements and the scale, but hated the direction so many characters like Zoe went. XS and Gates were also criminally underused, Nura's vision of Star Boy's grave went nowhere, Tinya and Jo got into a really rough patch... and Legion of 3 Worlds, Zoe's death ruined the whole thing for me. I started my fic as a way of honoring the Reboot, and Legion of 3 Worlds really spurred me to not only finish what I started, but to restore the Reboot team to where they rightfully belong wink It's very fanfic-y, and I intended it to be that way - and I like it that way, if DC won't honor that Legion then I will. So thank you for sharing that it helped you through 2020, that the characterizations were spot on to what you remember about the team. I am absolutely thrilled to hear that.

Yep, 1000% agreed. I thought what DnA did with Nura was pretty original and kind of kick-ass, but leaving aside all these others was not ok. The Legion is as much about the relationships between all the characters as much as it is with the characterization, a challenge DnA and the current incarnation (and Johns for that matter), don't seem to understand. I totally get that it's difficult - I can barely write my way out of a paper bag - but when TPTB promote someone like Bendis as much as they did, I'd expect more. Decent Sci-fi, even decent superhero sci-fi. But its not a Legion story other than in name, IMO.

As for fic recommendations -
Will definitely be reading Ivy, Harbinger & teams works - looking forward to it, actually, as it will most likely be better than the current comic!

https://archiveofourown.org/works/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&work_search%5Bquery%5D=legion+of+super is a good site for that. Though I haven't read much fic, sadly, so I cannot recommend individual ones. but the good thing is, each entry comes with a brief description and tags, so it's easy to see at a glance if something is about the Reboot smile

Happy reading, and hope 2021 continues to take an upward trajectory for you!

Thank you! The last month alone has been better than most of last year, so I'll take it. And thanks for that link as well. I did actually find that on a Google search but took this time to actually dig in on the content. It seems as if there's more Retroboot than reboot stuff (sorry no Kinetix stuff)- and a decent amount of Animated fic as well, which is a subject I hadn't really thought about, and reminded me that I need to get my hands on the series. I also have to remember to read the tags ahead of clicking on the story in some of those sites so I'm better prepared for some of that content! lol

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 03/22/21 12:36 PM.

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Gaseous Lad #1000054 03/22/21 12:55 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I completely agree, the relationships and interactions between the characters are a large part of what makes a series work so well smile Wish we had gotten more of that with Bendis... and the end of DNA... yeah... and the highlight of the Legion for me, has always been the camaraderie. they are a huge superhero team that actually likes each other! what drew me to it in the first place...

Have fun reading and exploring smile glad to have you here!

and yes, some of those fics can be... er... not safe! tongue

Gaseous Lad #1000058 03/22/21 01:23 PM
Ivy Offline
Substitute
Substitute
Yeah, its sad when that bugs bunny and scooby doo single issues from a couple years back was better than the whole year of legion we just had.

Gaseous Lad #1000061 03/22/21 01:40 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
totally... I loved the Legion appearance in Scooby Doo a while back! Was pretty funny!

Gaseous Lad #1000063 03/22/21 01:55 PM
Ivy Offline
Substitute
Substitute
I thought the Scooby Doo was awesome, I still laugh when I think about poor Bouncing Boy and Duo Damsel being sent alone to defeat Darkside. lol

Last edited by Ivy; 03/22/21 01:56 PM.
Ivy #1000067 03/22/21 02:59 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Ivy
I thought the Scooby Doo was awesome, I still laugh when I think about poor Bouncing Boy and Duo Damsel being sent alone to defeat Darkside. lol

Is this on Comixology, or was it a special print? Sounds like a good chuckle :-)

Gaseous Lad #1000070 03/22/21 03:21 PM
Ivy Offline
Substitute
Substitute
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Legion_of_Super-Heroes_(Scooby-Doo_Team-Up)
https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Scooby-Doo!_Team-Up_Vol_1_33

Last edited by Ivy; 03/22/21 03:22 PM.
Ivy #1000071 03/22/21 04:18 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Thank you, Ivy! :-)

Gaseous Lad #1000073 03/22/21 04:24 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
And Shaggy and Scooby meeting Cham (scary), Jeckie (illusions are scary!) and Tenzil (he can eat anything?!) were hilarious!

Gaseous Lad #1000153 03/25/21 01:30 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Online Content
Legionnaire!
R
Thanks for the shout out, IB! smile

Also, that Scooby-Doo team-up sounds fun, Ima check it out - thanks y'all!

Gaseous Lad #1000154 03/25/21 04:40 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
my pleasure to recommend fellow authors smile

Another one - we had a tag-team/coop thread for a bit called 20th Century Legion, which started as us re-imagining characters for the 20th century setting. Then it slowly moved to Reboot, Cobalt Kid and myself crafting it into a longer intertwined story...

As the names suggest, Reboot is also a big Reboot fan wink so a lot of Reboot elements are paid homage here. And characters - Gates, Kinetix, XS, Kid Quantum II, Shikari and Monstress are among the Legionnaires who made the jump. I believe Gear has also appeared.

https://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=123660&page=1

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,113
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
The Crusader
The Crusader
LMBP Outpost
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star