Roll Call
0 members (), 20 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/01/24 05:05 PM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:51 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/01/24 03:50 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Set - 05/01/24 12:17 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: Another Way Forward
Klar Ken T5477 #1008079 10/08/21 02:04 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
INTERREGNUM
TEMPORAL MECHANICS SIMPLIFIED

Four Super-Hero Clubs, Three Universes:

Earth K2-Alpha:
This is the original timeline foreseen by Kallor and her mother.The High Seer does not summon the Members, nor send them back in time. Ten days after the Daxamite wave, everyone on Mars dies from the Dominion Plague, and ninety-something percent of the rest of the United Planets.

Earth K2-Beta:
This timeline diverges from the Beta line, as the Members appear several weeks in the past in Khund and Dominion Space. They had been / will be summoned from Mars to Naltor by the High Seer, and sent back in time. Due to the intervention of the Dominators the teams reappear back on Mars (except Phantom Girl, Shrinking Violet and Chameleon) just as their past selves leave Mars for Naltor. Already infected with the Plague, they die several days earlier than everyone else in the United Planets.
Events after this progress similarly as on Earth K2-Alpha. Phantom Girl and Shrinking Violet are removed from this reality through the interference of Destiny of the Endless.

Earth K2-Gamma:
An entirely new Universe, which diverges from Earth K2-Beta at the point when the Dominion fails to send the Super-Hero Club back to Mars, as Shrinking Violet (merged with her Beta counterpart) sabotages the Dominator?s Time Restorator. The Earth K2-Beta Irinia Apero becomes the new Destiny of this timeline, observing this Universe from its beginning (including another version of Irinia Apero being born, and becoming a Phantom Girl in this universe). Because the Doomsday Sphere is destroyed, the Khund-Dominion War, the Daxamite Wave, and the Dominion Plague never happen. But at great cost. The Super-Hero Club in Dominion and Khund space never returns to Mars, and most die. However, as the High Seer never summons the Super-Hero Club of this Universe to Naltor, and they do not travel back in time, they remain safe on Mars. It is only their temporal duplicates who never return

This results in a temporal paradox. The Members of the Super-Hero Club who appear in the past in Khund and Dominion Space to save the future come from Nowhere. They have memories of the Beta Universe, but that future no longer exists. They are sourceless chronal quantum replicants.

And they sacrificed their lives for the existence of this Universe.

The Super-Hero Club that exists in this continuity is unaware of the threat that their other selves succeeded in preventing. The Earth K2-Beta Irinia / Phantom Girl / Destiny, however, remembers both Universes, and continues to observe this new Universe?s progression.

As now, so do we.

==========================================================================

In the kitchen of the Super-Hero Clubhouse on Mars, Saturn Girl was reading the daily newsfeeds. Star-Woman came in, looking for a cup of Kono.

"Had any portentous dreams lately?" asked Saturn Girl.

"My sleep has been remarkably restful recently," said Star-Woman.

"Have you seen this?" Saturn Girl asked. "Some kind of massive catastrophe on Elia-- the Dominion Homeworld. And a devastating plague of some sort has hit a smattering of worlds in the Khundish Empire. Aetia, Brok, some others. Details are scarce, because both governments are denying everything. But there also seems to have been a mutual declaration of war between the Dominators and the Khunds. No ships have been launched yet, but sectors of the United Planets that lie between the two Empires have been put on alert."

"They say 'May you live in interesting times' is an old Terran curse," said Star-Woman.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
YOUNG LEGION BOOK TWO
Klar Ken T5477 #1008529 10/18/21 11:19 AM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER TEN
IKAW

"How's it going, TL?" asked Phantom Girl.

"TL?" asked Ten. "Are you addressing me? Oh, I see. The initial Interlac characters of my given name. We have a similar sobriquet convention on Colu, although we use the terminal characters. It is considered a term of endearment."

"So you would be ZZ?" asked Phantom Girl.

"ZZ3," Ten replied. "Or Plural Zed Tre... no, it does not translate."

"So, who was that you were talking to?" asked Phantom Girl. "Anything the rest of the Members should know about?"

"A metahuman with an interesting story," said Ten. "He calls himself 'Ikaw'."

He is about sixty years old. His metahuman power is the ability to completely replicate the personality, memory, and emotions of any other being, becoming in essence an exact psychic copy of that individual. The problem is that this replication overwrites the previous personality-- his brain can only contain one at a time.

There appears to also be some consistent, unconscious impulse to frequently assume new identities every few years.

About thirty-five years ago, he began keeping journals, to provide himself some sort of continuity. However, he has no record or memory of his life prior to that.

A few years ago, he hired a private detective to uncover his ultimate origins-- a man named Brane. He has been able to reconstruct some of his history from old public records, but he 'hit a wall', so to speak, at age fourteen, when Ikaw appeared on Xanthu, with no indication of how he got there.

Ikaw replicated Brane's identity, and has been working since then on the mystery of his past. Genetic testing has narrowed his parents down to around a thousand possible couples-- but there is no clear indication that any of them had a son his age at the appropriate time. A few of them have already passed on.

Ikaw was considering contacting and interviewing each couple individually, but there is also the possibility that he is the child of unregistered colonists in some remote corner of the U.P., or even Terrans who have emigrated outside the United Planets. He was hesitant to intrude on the thousand couples in what might be a fruitless venture.

He had the idea that I, as a 1Oth-level Coluan intellect, might be able to help him.

"You let him replicate your mind, didn't you?" said Phantom Girl.

"I did indeed," replied Ten. "It is interesting, knowing there is another 'me' out there, at least for a while. He also provided me with his complete history, and I will be dedicating a fraction of my time to studying it. Although, as he will be applying his full intellect to the problem, I believe that if it is soluble, then Ikaw will solve it first. As a long-time adult in the UP, he also has resources available to him that I do not have."

"And where has he gone now?" asked Phantom Girl.

"New Titan," said Ten. "As his genetic profile indicated some Saturnian heritage. Although it is also possible that it is merely a convergent mutation."

===============================================================================

Ikaw peered into the time-viewer at the Time Institute on New Titan. It had taken him several months to gain access, and his screen time was limited. The scene was the Kardinal Spaceport on Xanthu, about fifty years ago. He was comparing two visual frames, side-by-side. In one, his fourteen-year-old self stood there, between two luggage bags. In the other, a few milliseconds before, there was the same spot in the Spaceport, completely empty. There was no indication of a transmatter gate, nor the telltale sparkle of a transporter beam.

"Fascinating," Ikaw said to himself.

Colu:

"Grumm Boz," said Ikaw. "I know your time is valuable. I appreciate the opportunity to meet with you. I am particularly interested in your new Spacetime Pentachoron." The silver-grey pyramid nearly filled the little laboratory.

"At last!" said Grumm Boz. "Someone gets the name right! Others call it the Time Tetrahedron-- even some here on Colu! Ignoramuses! A new kind of time machine, they say. Nincompoops!"

"It is, of course, far more than a time machine," said Ikaw, utilizing the diplomatic skills Ten had learned on Mars.

"Indeed, exactly so," said Grumm Boz. Holographic blueprints sprang up all over the walls. "As you see, it has a Micro-Time Beacon, to prevent parachronal drift. There is a Time Paradox Inhibitor, to prevent you from, for example, killing your grandfather, either accidentally or intentionally. There are mechanisms to either send you through time, or to send time through you, aging or de-aging one as desired. This makes it, in effect, an immortality machine-- although there is the memory loss issue, but I believe that can ultimately be resolved. The Pentachoron even synchronizes an individual's time-signature with the destination. No more strangers in time! It is possible to retrieve any object or individual from any address in spacetime, or to transfer or exchange consciousnesses only. Imagine! An interview with the mind of Vril Dox himself! The Council has had that project under consideration. I believe approval will be shortly forthcoming."

"I am particularly interested," said Ikaw, "In its omnidimensional time-viewing capabilities. I have certain coordinates I am specifically interested in."

Grumm Boz blinked. "You were recommended by Renlo Tabor, on behalf of his juvenile mentor Txarlz Luz..."

Ikaw was momentarily confused. "But I am Txarlz Luz," he thought. "Where is Vesta, my robo-nanny? No, wait, Ikaw asked me to help uncover his origins. I allowed him to replicate my mind. I am Ikaw now. Why am I so confused? I must be having trouble maintaining the coherence of a tenth-level intellect."

"... Renlo Tagor is well respected," Grumm Boz continued, "And Txarlz Luz is from a good family. I am sure I can help you. Let me see those coordinates."

The familiar scene displayed on the triangular screen. "You see this individual?" asked Ikaw. "Jump back a moment, he is not there. Jump forward an instant, and he just suddenly... appears. Yet there is no teleportation signature, no extra-dimensionality or anomalous time-signature detectable. Where does he come from?"

Grumm Boz toggled back and forth between the vacant space at the spaceport, and the sudden mysterious appearance. "A perfect challenge for the Spacetime Pentachoron!" exclaimed Grumm Boz gleefully. "We will determine his origins!"

A wave of dizziness swept over Ikaw. His thoughts were jumbled, confused. The room spun. He felt himself fainting...

"Careful, clumsy oaf!" shouted Grumm Boz, as Ikaw collapsed against a control panel. Ikaw vanished. A much younger version of himself appeared on the triangular screen, at Kardinal Spaceport.

"Buffoon," muttered Grumm Boz, turning back to his work. "And he shorted out the Paradox Inhibitor as well."

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Re: YOUNG LEGION BOOK TWO
Klar Ken T5477 #1008539 10/19/21 01:37 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Did you take "Ikaw" from the Tagalog/Filipino language, Klar? That caught my attention, as it means "you" smile

Invisible Brainiac #1008903 10/27/21 11:07 AM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
=============================================================================
Yes, IB, I thought ?Ikaw? was an appropriate name for someone who can replicate your mind.
?Ang pangalan ko ay Ikaw.?
=============================================================================
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYXJlfcfFKU&ab_channel=SesameStreet

Klar Ken T5477 #1008904 10/27/21 11:11 AM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER ELEVEN
DIPLOMACY

Ambassador Quintapilot did not like to be kept waiting. Her appointment had been scheduled for 0400, and it was already 0410. She touched the bud in her ear.

"Has my 0400 arrived yet?" she asked.

"The Torad ambassador has not arrived," the receptionist replied. "However, two little human girls here have been insisting on seeing you, and refuse to leave. Weber's World Security says they need your authorization to evict them."

"I believe that is, in fact, my 0400," said Ambassador Quintapilot. "The Torad ambassador is not scheduled to arrive until tomorrow. Please review your calendar." She sighed. "And send the girls in."

Dorrit (Saturn Girl) Ranzz and Kallor (Star-Woman) Nal, entered the ambassador's office, obviously already uncomfortable from their encounter with the receptionist.

"I apologize," said Ambassador Quintapilot, walking around from behind her desk. "UPGov regulations require that all governmental positions be filled by biologicals, rather than mechanicals. Unfortunately, salary expenses are underfunded, and it is difficult to attract competent help. I am required to make do with a Xanthuan Parakat, who is sometimes? limited? intellectually speaking."

"Wouldn't UPGov find it more efficient to replace the biologicals with inexpensive mechanicals?" asked Star-Woman.

"You assume efficiency as the goal," said Ambassador Quintapilot. "Would it not be more efficient to simply replace all biologicals everywhere in the United Planets with piles of rocks? Our missions are more complicated than that."

Star-Woman was nonplussed.

"Speaking of piles of rocks," Ambassador Quintapilot smoothly segued, "This brings us to why you have been asked to meet with me today. Above and beyond my other duties, I am heading the First Contact mission with Excalbia. Its inhabitants are molten silicon-based creatures. They have an unusual technology set, which UP scientists are anxious to study. However, they are easily the most-- alien--- sentients we have encountered. On a par with the Gil'Dishpan."

"Are you asking the Super-Hero Club to be part of the diplomatic team?" asked Star-Woman.

The ambassador fidgeted. "We are asking the Super-Hero Club to be the diplomatic team," said the ambassador. "As well as the Super-Villain Club members who were previously residing with you on Mars. I believe they are at Metropolis University on Earth now? That would be nineteen of you, I think. And you would be the only members of the team. No support staff."

Star-Woman gaped. "Why us?"

"Because the Excalbians have requested it," said Ambassador Quintapilot. "No one knows why. Those are their terms for negotiation. They have examined the cultural material we provided, and have chosen you-all as the only acceptable representatives to their world."

"But the Super-Hero Club has had no diplomatic training at all," said Star-Woman.

Ambassador Quinapilot snorted a short laugh. "Well, the two Talokans in your group have had some elementary exposure," said the ambassador. "As members of the Royal Family of Talok. And I know that you, yourself have had extensive lessons in diplomacy as the daughter of the High Seer. But the Excalbians were quite clear that they were not interested in interacting with professional diplomats. They wish? the word they used we think means, 'authentic experience'."

"I have a bad feeling about this," said Saturn Girl.

"You will not be entirely on your own," said Ambassador Quintapilot. "UPGov will provide transport, and the appropriate gear. There will be a small SP ship stationed nearby. And ColuGov has assured us that they can make modifications to young Mr. Luz's robo-nanny to provide stealth monitoring of your activity at all times."

"I would still be more comfortable if we had access to our own transportation," said Saturn Girl. "We have had a couple of bad experiences relying on the goodwill of others."

Ambassador Quintapilot returned to her desk. "Your personal transport vehicle-- the 'Sojourner', I think it is called?-- can be placed in low orbit above Excalbia," she said.

"This seems an unusual request," said Saturn Girl. "And you seem willing to make unusual concessions to Excalbia. And possibly endanger a couple of dozen young civilians, in the process."

"We do not foresee any real danger," said Ambassador Quintapilot. "The Excalbians are an unusual-- a truly unique race. But harmless, we believe. Their chief attribute in dealing with us seems to be? a bizarre curiosity."

"There are other curious races in the United Planets," said Saturn Girl.

"There are several other considerations'', the Ambassador acknowledged. "As I said, our scientists are very interested in the Excalbian divergent technology. It is different from ours, or even Gil'Disphan tech. Even the Coluans are, at the moment, puzzled by some of its aspects. Secondly, the world of Excalbia itself lies at the nexus of several alternate dimensions-- several parallel UPs could be accessible from this single version of Excalbia. They say the stars in the sky above Excalbia are constantly changing? It would have the possibility of expanding UP influence immeasurably if there were a space-route those other dimensions."

"And?" asked Saturn Girl.

"Influence, and possibly wealth. The United Planets economy thrives on trade. "Hopefully your decision will be expeditious. The Excalbians have a? different? perception of time than we do, and we do not know how long they will wait.

"Allow us to return to Mars," said Star-Woman. "It should not take long to get consensus from the rest of the Members? or not."

"UPGov has some need to keep this mission formally confidential-- from EarthGov. They have had some objections to contact with the Excalbians-- mostly having to do with their very non-humanoid nature, I imagine-- and I believe they would be disturbed to learn that we are sending you as diplomats: Solar residents, and Terran descendants such as yourselves.

"Well, I'm on board then," said Star-Woman. "Anything that makes the current EarthGov administration uncomfortable is all right in my book."

"I am afraid," said Ambassador Quitapilot sadly, "Nothing less than the unanimous attendance of your group would be acceptable to the Excalbians. Please let us know your decision as soon as possible."

============================================================================

The captain of the UP transport vessel was an Aressian Sand-Octopus. "Yes, it is true," the lavender cephalopod told them, looking at Ten with one eye. "We do have eight-lobed brains. We believe we only score at lower Coluan intelligence levels than might be otherwise expected, as our race has allocated their mental resources more in the direction of telepathy and psychokinesis rather than pure data-gathering. We no doubt have more in common with Saturnians than Coluans."

"I hope this flight will not turn into a competition," Saturn Girl interjected.

The captain produced a fine imitation of a human laugh, his coloration changing to a mottled, batik-patterned pink.

"A member of a highly telepathic race, and experts at color-shifting," said Chameleon, "I infer you may lack acoustic names. What should we call you?"

"For the duration of this journey," said the captain, "You may refer to me as Captain Colorumque. However, I expect that you will have more dealings with my crew than with me."

A group of twenty silvery octopoid robots now boarded the transport.

"They should assign themselves to you automatically. They will meet any of your needs during this flight. Do not hesitate to ask. They are programmed to serve.
"You will be all issued an upgraded version of the UP-standard transuit. The ambient temperature on Excalbia is near 1000c, and the native 'soil' is primarily magma. The atmosphere is rich in toxic chlorides and hydrocarbons.
"In addition, you will be provided with temperature-resistant boots, to augment the effectiveness of the transuits. You will also be provided with telepathic translator earbuds, although these have not been shown to be very effective at rendering the Excalbian language. There is already a Terran Environmental Module on the surface to which you may retire. Do not attempt to remove your transuits anywhere else."

The transport was large enough that the Sojourner fit into its shuttle bay. The entire Clubhouse, in fact, might have fit into the transport bay.

After Mars, they made a brief stopover at Metropolis University on Earth, sending an octopoid-robot with a shuttlecraft down to the surface.

"How does Metropolis University feel about having a 'Super-Villain Club' back on campus?" asked Star-Woman.

"They would not allow us to re-register the name," said Black Flame. "We are now known as the 'Secret Society of Supervisors'. Supervising the morally, ethically, and legally questionable actions of the new EarthGov regime, you know."

"I suggested 'The Brotherhood of Dada'," said Villian. "Historical reference. But nobody else thought it was a good idea."

"We actually have about two dozen sub-lieutenants now," said Evil-Eye Annie. "One of them is an Atlantean. Funny story?"

"And of course, there is the mysterious Collage, who has replaced our 'Prince Talok'," said Razor. "Menaleas attends classes with quiet discretion; most students do not know that he has returned. But Collage has got rumors flying. How could one individual display so many super-abilities? Some people think there is more than one of him."

The 'Supervisors' had come aboard in costume.

Villian the Sorcerer, while wearing his magician's evening coat, had replaced the tuxedo shirt with a common white t-shirt which read:

Nothing is better than Eternal Happiness
But a Ham Sandwich is better than Nothing

"I have a 'knock-knock' joke," said Villian to Matter-Eater Lad Two. "Now I now that most 'knock-knock' jokes are stupid; silly puns that don't even make sense if you speak the wrong dialect of Interlac. But I promise, this is a good 'knock-knock' joke. The best 'knock-knock' joke in the Galaxy. Want to hear it?"

"Okay," said Matter-Eater Lad Two. "I'm game."

"You start," said Villian.

"Knock-knock," said Matter-Eater Lad Two.

"Who's there?" said Villian.

"..." said Matter-Eater Lad Two.

"Razor, tell them about your family," said Villian excitedly.

Atta-Karr rolled his eyes. "OK, so my sister Qi," he said, "was, uh, experimenting with Bio-Elasticizing Fluid with some of her friends."

"The stuff that gave Uncle Chuck his powers?" asked Cosmic Boy. "Isn't that a Controlled Substance?"

"Well, yeah, but, you know, college kids," said Razor. "Anyway, the effects wear off quickly, especially at the low doses they use. Except that it reacted with Qi's metagene-- the one from our father-- and it gave her new abilities. Perfectly controllable! But still?"

Villian snickered. "She calls herself the Human Trampoline." https://youtu.be/0VTcBO4q5kY?t=161

Menaleas' new costume was a multi-hued riot of colored strips of fabric, including a cowled cape and full-face hood. He removed the hood when he came on board.

"Greetings, cousin," said Korvea. "Narazh."

"Narazh," said Menaleas, nodding. "Greetings, cousin."

"This assignment should prove interesting, at the very least," said Korvea.

Shrinking Violet sensed a coolness in the interaction between the Korvea and her cousin.

"Is there anything wrong between you and Menaleas?? she whispered to Korvea, when the others were out of earshot.

"Nothing at all," said Korvea. "Our relationship is as perfectly normal and pleasant as one could expect of distant cousins."

The group had been provided with animated holos of the indiginous Excalbians.

The first impression was of a pile of fat, glowing, red-hot lobsters, molten stone, with numerous stalk-like eyes and short, claw-like appendages. They appeared to vary from five to seven feet in height. Some of them also appeared to have long, scorpion-like tails. They moved slowly, but inexorably. There seemed to be a wide variety of other silicon-based lifeforms on the world, some living on the surface, some burrowing into the 'soft' magma, some swimming in pools of molten lava.

"And I thought Tharr was hot," said Matter-Eater Lad Two.

"Not even a Tharran glaciator could cool this place down to a livable temperature," Polar Lass commented.

The members were not greeted on the planet's surface by any welcoming party. In fact, the area around the Terran Environmental Module seemed uninhabited out to the horizon.

"I suppose you need to wait for them to contact you," said the octopoid Captain Colorumque.

He returned to the transport, and went back up into orbit.

The robotic cephalopoid crew was left with the Members, to serve as domestic help on the planet. Each member chose a room in the Terran Environmental Module, and entered, accompanied by one of the silvery robots.

Klar Ken T5477 #1009044 11/01/21 10:57 AM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER TWELVE
TESTS

Saturn Girl found herself in her quarters without the silver robot that had been beside her just a moment before. Even more strangely, her sister, Lightning Lass, was walking in through a door set in the opposite wall.

"I can't believe it," said Dacey. "They're treating us like twins again. Like we're the same person, really. I'm sick of it."

"Look, this must be a mistake," said Dorrit. "There are plenty of rooms in the T.E.M. for each of us to have one of our own..."

"Shut up!" screamed Dacey. "I am so sick of you!" Lightning flashed from her hands.

Startled and unprepared, Dorrit took the full force of Dacey's bolts.

Dorrit staggered, stunned. Any ordinary person would have been out cold. As it was, Dorrit could feel her nervous system beginning to shut down. She was only able to cling to consciousness through the superior power of her Saturnian mind. On the other hand, a second bolt would surely send her into complete unconsciousness. Or, Dacey could easily kill her with another, more powerful attack.

Dorrit reached out to Dacey through their shared link. "{What is going on?}" she asked.

Dorrit could see through Dacey's eyes: Dacey was in another room, playing a deadly game of tag with what appeared to be the demon-possessed Arnion.

This 'Dacey' standing in front of her, lightning crackling around her hands, was not the real Dacey. There was no mental link.

Dorrit astral-projected just as Dacey struck. Her body fell to the floor, unconscious.

Let's see who you really are, Dorrit thought. She moved her astral body into Dacey's physical one. She was astonished.

The faux Dacey was utterly empty.

Meanwhile, real Dacey Ranzz had entered the next room, and was facing off against Arnion-- once again demon possessed. She had avoided his teleportative attacks several times-- the room was now filled with a haze of floral-scented vapor. Arnion had used his power of invisibility, but the thick, swirling vapor was showing him in faint outline. Dacey was wondering where the controls for the lights were-- she had hardly had a chance to look around.

Suddenly, the room was plunged into darkness.

Arnion's faintly glowing figure was now perfectly visible. Before Dacey could act, a blast of lightning-- not hers-- momentarily illuminated the room. There was another Dacey standing near the doorway.

"I think I may have hit him too hard," said Dorrit. "I'm not used to your powers yet."

"Is that you, Dorrit?" asked Dacey.

Dorrit confirmed through their telepathic link.

"Yes, it's me. My mind, anyway. My physical body is lying next door, sleeping off a bad electric shock. I borrowed this... android, I guess?... to come help you out."

"An android copy of me... complete with powers," said Dacey.

"Not exactly an android," said Dorrit. "It seems sort of human, from its physiology. Only it has no mind. Just some rudimentary programming. It was easy for my astral self to get in and take over. I expect that is the same," she said, pointing to the unconscious Arnion. "And I would bet that the rest of the Members are now facing similar threats."

"Well, then, let's go," said Dacey.

They found Matter-Eater Lad Two and Polar Lass in separate rooms fighting 'evil' versions of themselves, but they were quickly dispatched.

Shrinking Violet had confronted Captain Samuels, a fictional figure, and his long-dead author, Agaton Xavier. She hadn't believed in either of them at all.

Phantom Girl had had no difficulty walking out on duplicates of her parents. She found Ten and his Vesta about to take a portal back to Colu-- ostensibly-- with his parents and Adult Guardian, but Irinia quickly put a stop to that.

"Whoever created them couldn't replicate Coluan super-intelligence," explained Phantom Girl. "A little quick questioning proved them to be fakes. They could not even give the general algorithm for solving tenth-order equations in the fourth dimension with the Rox-Url Galactic Adjustment."

Chameleon and the Triplicates had to be sorted out by Dorrit. They each faced three other versions of themselves, and which of the twelve were the originals was at first confusing.

Pol had been in a heated argument with his parents, and was glad to discover they were only programmed doppelgangers.

The Members were on their way to Korvea and the Secret Society when a roof burst, and Star-Woman flew out and up into the air. She was locked in a fierce battle with some sort of robot, which exploded high in the atmosphere.

"That was a Xanthuan Copperman," Kallor explained, landing. "A failed attempt at super-powered, robotic policing from my father's homeworld. I didn't know any more even existed."

"They probably don't," said Shrinking Violet. "We've been confronting all sorts of strange duplicates."

They found 'Evil-Eye' Annie coming out of her room without assistance.

"Whatever it is," she said, "Was trying to incarnate my greatest fear. Well, my greatest fear is me, and my temper. Obviously, I knew it was some sort of unliving simulacrum. I haven't cursed anything in a while, so..."

Peeking through the door, there appeared in one corner what looked to be a large, shapeless mass of compost: smoking, worm-infested and slightly moldy.

Black Flame, Razor, and Collage were also easy to rescue from their private horror-rooms. Villian the Sorcerer, however, was in the middle of a stage-magic performance for fifty of the artificial men and women. He had to be dragged away against his will.

"Now we need to get some answers," said Saturn Girl.

"It seems we are being tested, somehow," said Star-Woman. "But I don't know if we passed or failed.

As they stood looking out over the volcanic landscape, wondering where to begin, one of the half-rock, half-crab natives appeared, seemingly out of nowhere.

"I am Ambassador Yarnek of Excalbia," it said. "Please explain.

Re: Young Legion Book 2
Klar Ken T5477 #1009052 11/01/21 11:12 AM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
WILL

"I think you are the one who needs to do some explaining," said Lightning Lass.

Two dozen more Excalbians appeared on the lava plains. A table appeared between them, the side facing the organics loaded down with food, as well as plates and utensils to consume it with. On the Excalbian side, metal discs were loaded with rocks dripping with glowing lava.

"This setting is comfortable for you," said Yarnek. "Eat."

There was an invisible line running down the middle of the table. On one side, the hellish volcanic landscape of Excalbia. On the other, cushioned chairs reclined on greensward before the banquet.

Ten but his hand up to the shimmering barrier.

"There does not seem to be any force field separating the two areas. How do you do it?" he inquired.

"I believe the Earthlings call them 'Maxwell's demons'," said Yarnek. "We will discuss much more important things."

The android duplicate of Lightning Lass seated itself, then immediately slumped, its head resting on the table. A moment later, Saturn Girl herself showed up, back in her own body.

"One of these would be incredibly useful," said Saturn Girl. "Can we take it home with us?"

"You are mistaken. They are not useful," said Yarnek. "Their construction is faulty. They cease functioning within a few days."

Star-Woman examined the sleeping replicant with her enhanced senses.

"Don't you feed them?" she asked. "The gastrointestinal tract seems completely underdeveloped."

"As with so many things," said Yarnek, "These are human concepts which make no sense to us."

"What, you don't understand eating?" asked Star-Woman. "This..." she indicated the table "is food. It is not only meant to enhance social interaction. We organics need it to survive-- to provide energy for life, and to replenish, repair, and replace lost material in our bodies. To grow, if you understand the concept. No doubt on your burning world, energy is plentiful, but on the cold worlds of the United Planets, energy is more scarce."

"You eat every day?" said Yarnek.

"Several times a day," said Ffarrah. "At least every quarter-of-a-day. Do you know hours?"

"The real question is," said Star-Woman, changing the subject, "Why have you been subjecting us to these bizarre ordeals? I thought we were goodwill ambassadors?"

"This is another nonsensical word," said Yarnek. "'Why'. It is an interrogative without meaning."

"Let me put this as simply as I can," said Star-Woman. "Some of us could have died in these ordeals. I expect this would have been unsatisfactory , both to you, and to the United Planets."

"You did not die," said Yarnek. "I count... you are all here. Even the triplicated organics."

"But we could have died," said Star-Woman. "Some of us were in very dangerous situations."

"'Could have,'" said Yarnek. "A contrafactual. Often employed in your languages, but inapplicable by definition. This is the explanation sought. You have been observed under various situations and stimuli. You reacted in accordance to expectations. Explain how you could have... 'chosen'... to 'die' in the past-which-was-once-future."

"Kallor," said Saturn Girl. "I'm having difficulty reading their silicon minds, but... Yarnek is the only one who really understands our language at all, and he... has difficulty with certain concepts. He... they don't seem to understand our concept of 'free will' at all. Somehow, that's what these tests were all about."

"Yes," exclaimed Yarnek, with as much enthusiasm as his harsh, rocky voice could muster. "What is this 'free will'? How can any being act otherwise than is observed? How can any action be more than one action?"

"It is the potential for action..." began Saturn Girl.

"No, let's try a different way," said Star-Woman. "Why do you now, after so many eons, want to understand free will?"

"Want?" asked Yarnek. "I do not understand."

"I'm with him," said Matter-Eater Lad Two, reaching across the barrier with a spoon to sample one of the glowing, semi-molten rock fragments on the Excalbians' plates. "I don't understand any of this."

"To put it another way... What event preceded your contacting the United Planets, which induced you to conduct experiments to understand free will?" asked Saturn Girl.

"Ah, the Artifacts," said Yarnek. "They are said to be activated by this 'Will'."

Yarnek produced from somewhere about its person a shining, brand-new Lantern and Power Ring.

"Now we're getting to the crux of the problem," said Saturn Girl. "You want to know how these work."

"Can you demonstrate and explain?" asked Yarnek.

"Hand them over," said Dorrit. The 'artifacts' were perfectly cool to the touch after passing through the barrier.

Saturn Girl put on the ring, and touched it to the Lantern.

"In de Die Splendor, uel in Nox Tenebris
Nullum Malum est Inobservatus per mi
Qui colit vires Robore Malum Infernales
Cave Viribus meis: Lux Viridian Lanternas!
" she recited.

"Unauthorized user," the ring responded. "This Power Ring and Battery are reserved for the Green Lantern of Excalbia,"

"Listen, you stupid ring," said Saturn Girl. "I'm only trying to demonstrate your function to the Excalbians. So they can actually choose a Green Lantern."

"Dorrit Ardeen Ranzz of Winath..." The ring flared, "You have the ability to overcome great fear. Welcome to the Green Lantern Corps."

"Thank you," said Saturn Girl. "This is only a temporary assignment, I hope." She molded the green light into a hand, which waved cheerfully at Yarnek. She then used the light to create replicas of the cups, plates, and silverware in front of her. "It can create constructs of living organisms as well," Saturn Girl explained. She fired a green beam at Yarnek, and a glowing green duplicate appeared behind him.

"There is supposed to be some sort of hidden virtual compartment," Dorrit mused to herself. "Ah, here it is." There was an emerald flash, and Yarnek vanished.

The Excalbian found itself within a glowing green volcanic landscape, with flowing green magma all around. A green construct of Dorrit appeared beside him.

"This is the 'World Inside The Power Ring'," she explained. "A sort of storage facility."

"I am within your Will," exclaimed the Excalbian. "Do I also have such a Will within me?"

"You, or one of the other Excalbians," said Saturn Girl, returning them to the outside world. "Otherwise, it would not have been sent to you. She handed over the Ring and Lantern. "See if you can figure it out."

"You are not going to join the United Planets, are you?" asked Star-Woman. "That was never really your intention."

"'Intentionality'," said Yarnek. "Again these words I do not understand. When we join the United Planets, a Green Lantern will be our emissary."

The entire complement of Excalbians vanished, the table of food as well. The native Excalbian landscape began to slowly reclaim the area the Members occupied. They retreated towards the Terran Environmental Module as they received a communication from Captain Colorumque,

"We received a message that negotiations have been successfully concluded," said the Captain. "I am coming in for retrieval. So the Excalbians have agreed to join the United Planets?"

"It's complicated," said Star-Woman. "But I think UPGov needs to have a talk with Sodam Yat and the Dyogene."

Klar Ken T5477 #1009561 11/15/21 12:20 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
DAVERA

"Dorrit, what have I told you about talking to alien species?" asked Imra. "You must be very careful what you say."

"I know, mother, but the Excalbians were so strange."

"All the more reason to watch your language. I'm not surprised they took your offhand comment as an invitation."

"Or a challenge. At any rate, she arrived about two weeks ago, a perfect replica of Dacey. With a working digestive system, and appropriate instincts for self-care. She ate what was put in front of her, went to bed when she was tired. Recognized what the Cleanroom was for, thank goodness. Even changed her clothes-- although we were the ones who had to wash them-- and took a Sonic every day."

"An actual synthetic human. Amazing."

"No, she's not exactly human. She doesn't even have DNA. Just... her body operates and... grows, I expect... based on some other principle. But she's carbon-based, with the right proportions of oxygen, nitrogen, calcium, iron, and so forth."

"And you say she's been learning?"

"More than that. At first, it was interesting experimenting with her, either by fully moving my consciousness inside her mind, or by... remote control. We were even able to bridge Dacey into her mind, although she doesn't find her as "comfortable', as I do. But she started retaining some of our memories and personalities afterwards. She became restless, and curious. I have crystals with a lot of old books on them-- children's books you got us when we were little. Or inherited from Garridan and Graym. She figured out how to use the Reader, and started reading them. "A is for Alicorn', and "One Owl, Two Hoots' were her favorites at first. But she's up to first-grade level now, and still progressing. And... she's developing a unique personality of her own. She started initiating conversations a week ago. And questions. So many questions. We had to give her a name, she insisted on it."

"What did you name her?"

"We called her "Davera'. And... we don't feel right about taking over her mind anymore, or using her as a convenient "third body'."

"You mean, 'slave'."

"Well, OK, maybe, a little. But we feel like we're in over our heads. It's like having a seventeen-year-old six-year-old, and we're already messing up."

"And now you're calling for advice?"

"More than advice. We were wondering... you did such a good job with us kids..."

"How would we feel about raising a third 'daughter'? Is that what you're asking?"

"It's either that, or a foster home. Please, Dacey and I aren't ready to be Moms."

"Let me talk to your father. Maybe the Krinns... Lydda was saying just the other day how much she and Rokk are not enjoying being empty nesters. Perhaps we could find a place for Davera on Lightning Ring Farms. I assume she has Dacey's electrical powers? And perhaps your telepathy, as well?"

"No, the Excalbians seem to have left all that out. She's just a 'normal' girl. Only... she isn't really normal. Not at all."

"Well, I can't say I approve, and I do think you've done something very foolish. But we will attempt to work out some sort of care for our new granddaughter, Davera."

"Granddaughter? Mother, it's not like that... she's more like... just an extra sister."

"Oh, it is exactly like that, and if I were wiser than I am, I would give you and Dacey the full responsibility for being her Moms, and raising her. I expect you two will treat her as your own little girl when you come to visit for the Holidays, or any other time. Ultimately, Davera is your responsibility, and you need to recognize that, and... let her know you love her."

Klar Ken T5477 #1009562 11/15/21 12:22 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
PLAYDATE

The dark-haired man welcomed the two young families to Lightning Ring Farms.

"Eliza Checkoff," the tall blonde introduced herself. "And these are my daughters, Millie and Molly."

"Marg Checkoff," said the identical tall blonde. "And this is Hannah and Vanna. You are Ayla's brother?"

"Rokk Krinn," said Rokk Krinn. "Executive Supervisor."

"Oh, you're the Braalien," said Eliza. "And your wife is... Kathooni? Tell me, is it difficult?"

"Is what difficult?" asked Rokk Krinn.

"She means," said Marg, "Is it difficult being singlets?"

"I wouldn't know," said Rokk Krinn. "I've always been a singlet. Never known anything else. It might be a little difficult for little Violet, being a singlet in a school full of twins. She seems to have only a few friends. We appreciate your coming over for a playdate."

"We've met her at the Parent Sharing Times," said Eliza. "She seems a quiet, well-behaved little girl. Perhaps a bit shy."

"Really?" said Rokk Krinn. "They used to say that about her mother, too."

"Our grand-parents say this plantation used to be called Lucky Pearl," said Marg. "But the owners passed away, and it lay fallow for decades. You purchased the place?"

"No, I work with the heirs," said Rokk. "Your families run the farm down the highway with the Meat-Melon hothouses?"
'
"Oh, yes. Everyone asks about the hothouses," said Marg. "But it's really only a small part of our operation. We only produce hamelon, beeves, and Lamuellan PNB. We have some off-world customers who like them as part of a... square meal' package."

"Of course, the real Meat-Melon producers on Winath are Gorbon, Steel, & Micawber over on the Peninsula," Eliza remarked. "They have a huge operation there, including omni-protein genetic replicators. They can make custom Meat-Melons that replicate any sort of protein you like."

"Sheep, snake, blue whale, babootch... even human, if you want. You could literally feast on the flesh of your enemies. Or friends, for that matter. Or yourself," Marg added. "Not my cup of kono, but there are some..."

"Actually, their human-replicant protein melons have quite a market on Kanamit," said Eliza. "They ship them out with a mini-cookbook. Of course, we have no interest at all in trying to break into that market."

Violet's mother was waiting by the flower patch.

"Morning, Krinn."

"Morning, Digby."

"Eliza, Marg, so glad you could make it," said Salu Digby. "Violet is already out in the flower patch... somewhere. Molly and Millie and Vanna and Hannah can try to find her."

"I'll go out with the girls," said Marg.

"Those tall flowers," said Eliza. "The ones with the bright, roundish heads. I don't think I've ever seen them before."

"Those are tulips from Earth," said Salu. "Distantly related to onions, but purely ornamental. Not many people cultivate them anymore, but several centuries ago, they were very popular."

Marg was already back. "Well, they found your rabbit warrens right away," she said. "They're all having a fine time underground."

"Don't worry. The warrens are self-cleaning porcelain," said Salu. "They'll all come out cleaner than they went in."

The four adults casually kept an eye on the flower patch. Occasionally one or two of the heads of the five girls would pop up. There was a great deal of distant giggling.

A drone brought a light lunch for everyone, and then it was time to go home. As they were leaving, Millie-- or, perhaps, Molly-- whispered to Rokk Krinn. "I think Violet is doing something bad."

"What's that?" asked Rokk.

"I think she's been leaving the flower patch," said Molly. Or possibly Millie. Then she quickly skipped away with her mother, her sister, her aunt and cousins.

"So long, Krinn," said Salu. "See you around the farm."

"Uhm... could I talk to Violet for a minute?" he asked. "One of the girls told me she thought she was doing something... 'bad'," said Rokk. "Do you know what she means?" He asked Violet.

Violet hung her head. "I can do something they can't do," said the little girl. "Is that bad?"

"Why don't you tell me about it?" said Salu.

Violet held her hands apart. "I can make sparks, Mommy, just like Mommy Ayla." Tiny, bright lightning jumped between her fingers. "And I can be small, like you. And when I get smaller than the sparks, I can... ride them across the garden. Faster than anyone can run."

"Can you show me?" asked Salu. Violet vanished, instantly re-appearing on the opposite side of the flower garden. The little girl waved. Then she was back again, in a shower of tiny electrical sparks.

"She literally rides the lightning. Did you know she could do that?" asked Rokk.

"We made sure she had the meta-gene," said Salu. "But we didn't know how it would manifest. We had no idea before now that she had any unusual abilities at all."

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you," said Violet. "Is it bad?"

"Oh, sweetheart," said Salu. "No, it's not bad at all. It's wonderful. I just want you to make me a promise."

"Not to do it around the twins?" asked Violet.

"No, no, oh, not at all," said Salu. "You have a wonderful talent. You should practice it, and master it. It's just... the spark flies so fast. Be careful you don't get lost."

"Do you have any other special talents?" asked Rokk. He was weaving grasses together into a kind of ring.

Violet looked around. "See that big rock?" It was about three meters tall. Pink lightning corruscated around it. Slowly, it began to rise above the soil.

"Anti-gravity, too," said Rokk.

"Annie-gravity is hard," said Violet, the huge rock crashing back to the ground.

"Anti-gravity," corrected Salu.

"Anti-gravity," said Violet.

"Little Violet, I made you something," said Rokk. He held up a necklace of woven grasses and flower stems. A tarnished gold ring was woven into the necklace. "If you wear this, your mommies will always be able to find you, no matter how far you might go."

"Your old flight ring?" asked Salu.

"The anti-gravity metal has deteriorated," said Rokk. "But it still has its tracking function. You still have your rings too?"

"Yes, and it's the same," said Salu. "But you don't need to give up yours. We could give Violet Ayla's, or mine."

"No, I want her to have it," said Rokk. "You'll want to get a sturdier chain at some point. Until she grows into it..."

His Omnicomm chimed.

"Rokk, this is Garth," came the message. "We just got word that Pol is having some trouble. All the Members are, in fact. They're perfectly safe, but... they're going to need some help."

"Not too much help," said Rokk. "Remember what it was like when we were their age."

"That's what I told Imra," said Garth.

Klar Ken T5477 #1009852 11/23/21 11:48 AM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
AN OLD MARRIED COUPLE

Previously:

Garth answered the door. The old man shook his hand enthusiastically.

"Mr. Theophanous," he introduced himself. "And this is my wife, Mrs. Theophanous."

"Is Imra at home?" asked the dumpling-shaped old woman.

"Someone is here to see you," Garth told his wife.

"I don't want to talk to them," said Imra. "Tell them to go away."

"Imra," said Garth, shocked. "I've never known you to be less than hospitable to visitors."

"You really don't know who they are, do you?" Imra replied. "Come on, then."

They walked to the parlor, where Mr. and Mrs. Theophanous were waiting. They had not even bothered to take a seat.

"Look," said Imra. "This is God."

"God is an old married couple?" asked Garth.

"Can't you feel it, Garth? Don't you feel a little strange?" asked Imra. "Mr. and Mrs. Theophanous are God. Or, at least the anthropomorphic personification of the idea of God. Isn't that right?" she challenged.

"Essentially correct," said Mr. Theophanous.

"They did a huge favor for me once... and I'm grateful. But now, they are here to collect, and want me to do a favor for them in return. Isn't that also 'essentially correct'?"

"Not for us, dear," said Mrs. Theophanous. "For your friend Tenzil. He needs you. Or, he will need you, as soon as you can get there."

"Tenzil," said Imra. "You want me to go see Tenzil and Eve. Well, we haven't been to New Titan since we took Dacey and Dorrit to visit their Aunt Imra there. I suppose it's time to make another visit. And Tenzil. OK. All right. But maybe this will count towards what I owe you?"

"Do you know," said Mr. Theophanous, "How hard it is to make these little... incursions... into the material world?"

"No, not really," said Imra.

"Not hard at all," said Mrs. Theophanous. "The effort is not significantly different from zero. It's the Other Side that keeps working so hard, keeps balance sheets, and counts costs. And their wares are always so overpriced. Freely you have received; freely give."

"Please don't start," said Imra. "We're going to New Titan."

"Well, I hope you have a wonderful time," said Mr. Theophanous. "You know what they say about 'the least of these'. We'll show ourselves out."

"They seemed nice," said Garth. "How do we know them?"

"Oh, Garth," said Imra. "Never mind. Can you arrange for the flight to New Titan? I'd like to leave as soon as possible."

"It's been a long time since we last saw Eve and Tenzil," said Garth. "It'll be good to get together again."

Last edited by Klar Ken T5477; 11/23/21 11:50 AM.

Klar Ken T5477 #1009853 11/23/21 11:52 AM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
[Linked Image from 66.media.tumblr.com]

The ancestral Aries estate had been rebuilt on New Titan, but was now mostly empty. Eve Aries and Tenzil Kem lived in less than one-half of the North Wing. The grounds, on the other hand, were beautiful, and beautifully kept by a complement of gardeners.

"I'm sorry," said Eve Aries. "I know I said we would be happy to see you anytime, but now.. is just not a good time."

"No, let them in," said Tenzil Kem, from inside the house. "Misery loves company."

Tenzil sat with his head in his hands at the kitchen table.

"What's wrong, Tenz?" asked Imra.

"Oh, our whole life is falling apart, that's all. First, Tenzil Junior takes up with that Zrfffn imp... Loser-Something..."

"Now, now," said his wife. She looked up at Imra and Garth. "He's only half-Zrfffn, and he seems like a perfectly good friend to our son. Not prankish or impish at all. There's no need for stereotyping and prejudice. And his name is Ligex Quizzer-Yip. Tenzil could remember it if he made the effort."

"And then we found this in Noria's room," said Tenzil, indicating a thick metal disk lying on the table. "She was hiding it from us. Just look at it!"

"I don't... what is it, Tenzil?" asked Imra.

"I have no idea!" Tenzil replied. "But it just fizzes with Miracle Machine energy. Can't you feel it?"

"You think it's a Miracle Machine?" asked Imra.

"No, of course not," said Tenzil. "But something similar. Definitely related. We asked her about it, there was a huge fight, and now she's sulking in her room."

"I know what it is," said Garth.

Imra, Tenzil, and Eve gaped at him together.

"When I was a kid," said Garth, "There was this old man-- a friend of my grandparents-- he had one of these. You're right, they're pretty weird, but really mostly harmless, I think. It's an H-Dial."

"A what?" asked Imra.

"An H-Dial. You can tell because of the big 'H' in the center. Right? It looks just like the one old Denz had. Might even be the same one, I don't know."

"But what is it?" asked Imra.

"See, there are ten buttons in a circle around it. But you only use four of them. If you press the ones marked 'H'-'E'-'R'-'O' in order, you get a temporary and random super-power. 'Hero'-- get it?"

"That's all wrong," came a shrill voice. Noria Kem was eleven years old. Her mouse-brown hair was excessively curly, and stuck out from her head like a bad perm. Her big blue eyes looked even bigger behind her corrective gravi-lenses. She was skinny enough to appear slightly undernourished.

"You don't press the buttons. You dial them. And you don't get super-powers. It changes you into a super-hero. And you need to let it rest between dials. The more you use it, the weaker the hero you get. I know all about it. And it's mine, and you shouldn't take away my stuff."

"Where did you get it?" asked Tenzil.

"It was a gift. A man gave it to me," said Noria, defensively.

"Was this 'man'," asked Garth, "Tall and bald and pink-skinned with pointy ears and big blank yellow eyes?"

Noria looked shocked. A shock of recognition.

"A Controller," said Garth. "Always messing around with other people's lives."

"Noria," said Imra. "You really should trust your parents. You could have talked to them about this..."

"Is this my parents' Pee-Psychiatrist friend, come to shrink my head?" asked Noria. She spit out the 'P' out like a watermelon seed.

Garth walked up to Noria, looking down at the girl. "When you insult my wife," he said calmly, "You are insulting my girlfriend, and it upsets me. I think your Mom and Dad would have taught you better manners than that."

"Seventh-grade is hard," said Eve.

"What do you know?" said Noria. "Yeah, it's hard. I try to fit in. I eat normal food, even though it's bland and boring. I don't say anything when they call me 'Four-Eyes', or 'Mop-Head', or 'Trash-Eater'. Because 'sticks and stones', you know? I just want to fit in. I want people to like me. I just want to be normal!"

"You know," said Garth, picking up the H-Dial. "This is the opposite of normal."

"'What are your powers, Noria?' they ask," the pre-teen girl was almost crying. "Thought-casting? Scrying? Pyrokinesis? Psychoportation? Psychometabolism? Psychokinesis? Psionic Blast? Pre-Cognition? Mind-reading? Mind Control? Metacreativity? Illusion Casting ? Clairsentience? Clairvoyance? Astral Projection? Super-Intelligence? Or are you just 'Stupid?"

"Maybe we shouldn't have left Bismoll," said Eve.

"NO! I don't want to go back to Bismoll. I want to stay here, and I want people here to like me. And when the H-Dial changes me into the right kind of person, with the right kind of powers, I'm going to stay that way, and everybody will like me."

Noria snatched the H-Dial off the table, and quickly dialed.

The woman was nearly eight feet tall, her head brushing the ceiling. Her gleaming golden hair hung in ringlets. She was dressed in heavy furs, suitable for Wondil IX, or Xolnar.

"What fell power summoneth Zeutrah, Goddess of the Storm?" she bellowed. She pulled a sword out of her scabbard that glowed like lightning. It grazed the ceiling, leaving a bad scorch-mark.

"It was an accident, Goddess," said Garth quickly. "Look, in your left hand."

"Oh," said Zeutrah. "One of these. I should crush it."

"No, no, just dial O-R-E-H," said Garth. "It will take you right back again."

"To the Orrery?" said Zeutrah. "How appropriate."

"I didn't know it could do that," said Noria. "I felt like I was drowning in her mind. I still remember..."

"After a transformation like that," said Garth. "The next one ought to be much less powerful. Or frightening. You know what they say about riding a Dodono... if you fall off, get right back on again."

At Garth's encouragement, Noria dialed again. "Oh, great," she said. "A living wooden puppet. Maid Marionette."

"You ought to let your parents help you with this," said Garth. "It's safer than doing it alone. They have some experience with super-heroing, you know."

"I don't want to be a super-hero." said Noria. "But maybe you're right. That time I became a human torch I was afraid I'd set my room on fire."

"Your parents love you very much," said Imra.

"What do you know?" spat Noria. "My older brother Tenzil-- he's their precious. Won all the science prizes in High School. Graduated Magna Cum Laude from University. He was the reason we moved to New Titan, in the first place, because he didn't inherit Bismollian physiology. Just a Saturnian super-brain. He's the one who got all the attention. He even represents the Aries families on the Council of Archons. He's literally a Prince of Saturn. If they love me as much as him, why didn't they name me Eve, Jr.?"

"Oh, Noria," said Eve. "Don't ever believe your parents don't love you."

"I think you're old enough to hear this story," said Tenzil.

"Tenzil, really?" asked Eve. "Now?"

"Please sit down, Noria," said Tenzil. The wooden puppet clumsily took a seat. "Back on Bismoll, I... there was a fellow I knew. Married about the same time as your mom and I. He and his wife discovered she was pregnant... by another man. But he treated that kid as his own child. Nobody could have ever loved a child more. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Is this about Uncle Renkil?" asked Noria.

"No this is not about Uncle Renkil," said Tenzil. "No one who knows your cousin Lizzie could ever believe she is anything but her father's daughter."

"Did... this kid, whoever... ever meet their real father?" asked Noria.

"No, he was... he died before the baby was born," said Tenzil. "But that's not the point."

"I guess I'm not getting what you're trying to tell me," said Noria.

"What I'm saying is," said Tenzil. "Even if you weren't my 'real' daughter-- which you are-- I would love you just as much. Love is not a pie. We can love you and Junior at the same time. It's not just that we're family... we're... I love you, Noria Vivien Kem."

Noria un-dialed, back to her human form.

"I know some kids on Mars," said Imra, "Who would be happy to welcome you into their Super-Hero Club."

"Oh, yes, like my father," said Noria. "The laughing-stock of the Legion of Super-Heroes. And now you want to make me the laughing stock of some other knock-off junior Super-Hero Club. No thank you. I'll stay on New Titan."

"Sorry," said Saturn Girl. "It was just a suggestion."

"Let me give you some advice," said Garth. "Old man to seventh-grader. The H-Dial is an amazing instrument. It lets you be anybody. Some of those anybodys are pretty amazing. But the most amazing person you can be is yourself. And it wouldn't hurt you to have a cup of propylene glycol or a tall, cool glass of sulfuryl chloride fluoride once in a while with your dinner at home. Nobody but your family needs to know. But eat something you like, once in a while."

Noria smiled. "Thanks, Uncle Garth."

Later, Tenzil took Garth aside privately. "I wasn't really the laughing-stock of the Legion, was I?"

"Well, you've got to admit, you and Chuck were kind of the class clowns," said Garth. "But there was that time you saved us all when you found the space-bees. Without you, Ayla and I wouldn't even be here."

They caught a flight for Winath the next day.

"You did good there," said Garth. "Really brought the family back together."

"Do you think so?" asked Saturn Girl. Her Omnicom buzzed.

"It's a text from Brainy," she said. "Forwarded from Renlo Tagor. He says Dorrit and Dacey... and the rest of the Members... are in trouble. We're going to need to give them some help."

"Not too much help," said Garth. "Remember what we were like at that age."

Klar Ken T5477 #1009854 11/23/21 11:55 AM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO CALAMITY KING?

Another Universe.
Designation Earth K-1
Norwich City, Bismoll
Approximately twelve years ago.

"Please come in," said Eve Kem.

E. Davis Ester doffed his triangular hat. "Thank you for seeing me," he said.

"Tenzil and his associate, Taryn, are finishing up some work in his home office," said Eve. "They shouldn't be long. You can have a seat while you're waiting." She indicated a large, comfy chair.

"I believe we've met before," said Eve. "You were a member of that Legion the Dominators disbanded?"

"Yes," said E. Davis. "Were you one of the members of the Legion of Super-Villains that we tried to prevent escaping from Takron-Galtos?"

"Well, we weren't very organized at the time," said Eve, fiddling with the locket around her neck. "Not really a Legion of anything. Every villain for themselves, that day. Can I get you a glass of water?"

"Please," said E. Davis.

Eve returned with a glass of water, a couple of adults and a pair of children.

"This is Taryn's brother, Fungul," Eve introduced them. "And Taryn's fiance, Thon Mijoy. And this young man," she ruffled a tall pre-teen's curly red hair, "Is our son, Tenzil Kem, Jr. And our daughter, Norja."

"I'm two!" said Norja.

"Are you really?" asked E. Davis, sipping his water. "Where's the other one?"

Noria looked puzzled. "I... don't know," she said.

"Don't tease her," said Eve.

"Oh, I just..." E. Davis began. THUMP! One of the short legs on the chair he was sitting in had broken. He jumped up.

"Sorry, sorry," he said. "It's my powers. I cause random, spontaneous stress fractures in everything around me. I can't always control it." He sat down in the broken chair, leaning at a slight angle. "That's what I came to talk to your husband about."

"I would think you would need an insurance agent, not a lawyer," said Fungul Loy.

"No, it's not that," said E. Davis. He addressed Eve. "I have been looking for a way to control-- or get rid of-- my metagenetic 'gift' for some time. I tried Ventura, where they are experts in probability and chance, but no luck. In fact, they granted me a generous stipend to leave, and never come back. I've tried the Daxamite medical researchers, and even Colu, but no luck. Well, only bad luck."

"But how can my husband help you?" asked Eve. "He is no quantum biologist."

"No, but he was exposed to radiation from the Miracle Machine," said E. Davis. "Which was, as I understand it, a sophisticated Infinite Improbability Generator. And therefore related to my abilities. I thought he might have some insights."

"Very few, I'm afraid," said Tenzil Kem, entering with a very professional-looking Taryn Loy. "My wife is a telepath," he explained. "You speak to her, you speak to me. I'll give it some thought, but I never had much luck controlling the Miracle Machine energies myself. Just off the top of my head: if Colu, Daxam and Ventura can't help you... well, you might try the Luck Lords on Thaun. Not sure I'd advise that, though. Or, if you could find the contingent of the Controllers that created the Miracle Machine in the first place. Although nothing very good happens to people who get mixed up with the Controllers. The Trylop Council of Mernl might be worth a look. Mernl is a kind of techno-Naltor. And Prince Evillo of Tartarus has a device he claimed could drain residual Miracle Machine energy. Sorry, those are all kind of sketchy recommendations, aren't they? As I say, those are just off the top of my head. I'll put some serious thought into it, though. Anything for a fellow Legionnaire."

Tenzil Kem extended his hand in a gesture of goodwill. "Good luck, then?" he said.

E. Davis Ester took the proffered hand.

A blast of rainbow lightning radiated out from where their two hands touched, striking all over the interior of the home. For a moment it coalesced around little Noria. Her hair stood on end. There was a crackle and leap of energy, and the air was still.

"Did our... did we just transfer our improbability powers to your daughter?" asked E. Ester.

"I don't have..." said Tenzil. "Oh, I hope not."

Norja blinked. There was a *snikt*, and the broken chair-leg repaired itself.

"Oh, my," said Eve Kem.

{Origin of Improbability Lass on Earth-K1}

Klar Ken T5477 #1009855 11/23/21 12:03 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER NINETEEN
DUDE, WHERE'S MY SUPER-HERO CLUBHOUSE?

We now return you to our regularly scheduled Earth K-2 tales:

The Time Tetrahedron appeared on the bare Martian soil.

Renlo Tagor roused his sleeping charge. "What has happened to Vesta?" he demanded. "Are you in danger?"

Ten sat up on the cold, hard ground. "I admit I do not know. This is Mars, but..."

"But where is the Clubhouse?" asked Star-Woman.

The Members of the Super-Hero Club lay scattered around the area. In the dim light of the Martian moons, a black dome loomed.

"It appears to be a large sphere of iron, but about an inch thick," said Renlo Tagor, consulting his instruments. "It is enclosing your clubhouse."

Star-Woman tried ripping it open, but to no effect. Cosmic Boy's powers could not affect it, Lightning Lass' powers could not heat it. Phantom Girl tried to phase through it, but ended up coming out the other side, as though it were solid all the way through.

"I note it is lying outside your mana-cancelling field," said Renlo Tagor. "It may be some sort of magical construct. Without his robo-nanny, laboratory, or force-shield belt... I'm sorry, but until this is resolved Txarlz must return to Colu with me."

Matter-Eater Lad Two approached the older Coluan. "Can you take Kylda with you?" he asked. The small Martian sun was rising, and Polar Lass still lay shivering on the ground-- possibly asleep, possibly worse. "Her thermal belt, her insulated clothing-- it's all still in the Clubhouse, locked inside that thing. Tharrans are used to living at temperatures of 200F or more. She's freezing to death! Could you possibly take her to Tharr?"

"Maybe we should all go home," said Shrinking Violet. "I've lost my earring-motels, and my White Dwarf Radiator. Without it, I'll quickly lose my shrinking ability.

"Not for a few months," said Star-Woman.

"Plus, we're all in our pajamas. With no other clothes," Shrinking Violet continued.

"Speaking of which," said Dorrit to Star-Woman, "You sleep in your costume?"

"I have several uniforms, all of the same pattern," said Star-Woman. "This one I happen to use for pajamas. No cape, of course. But at least no one here sleeps in the nude."

"Speak for yourself," said Korvea. "Fortunately, I can grow feathers."

"No solid printer to make new clothes," said Ffiona. "No furniture. No AutoChef to make food. We'll starve... except for Hillarie."

Star-Woman drilled down into the soil. The iron sphere rose into the air, catching the dawn.

"Kallor's van and our runabout are still here," Saturn Girl noted. "At least there's a cleanroom in the van."

It was only a few minutes later that Star-Woman returned. "We're not giving up. We're not leaving," she declared. "Well, anyone who wants to can leave, I suppose, but I intend to rebuild the Clubhouse. I dropped off that sphere in the Asteroid Belt-- in a place where I can easily find it again. I found a small nickel-iron asteroid-- less than a hundred feet across. I can carve it into blocks, and we can build the frame of the clubhouse with it. Chameleon, if you can search the waters here in fish-form for more salvage, maybe we can find the electronics we need. Mostly, we need batteries. Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lass, you can help drag what Chameleon finds off the bottom of the sea. Saturn Girl, you can coordinate everyone telepathically. The rest of us can go into town, and see what we can pick up in New Metropolis."

"We're a little short on funds," said Shrinking Violet. "We just paid taxes... on our non-existent Clubhouse."

"Then don't make any large purchases without everyone's approval," said Star-Woman.

"No 'phones," said Ffiona. "Dorrit is our only means of long-distance communication. No flight belts. Can we use the runabout?"

The energy pods in the Ranzz's runabout and Kallor's van were useless: contained within similar impenetrable black iron spheres. There was nothing for it but to walk into town.

"Two miles in bare feet," said Ffiona. "I'm not sure I can take this."

Korvea had already changed her feet to tough claws. "I could go full bird-girl, and fly us in, one at a time," she suggested.

The Triplicates went first. Then Phantom Girl, and lastly Matter-Eater Lad Two and Shrinking Violet together.

"We need to go to the Pharmacy and refill our prescriptions for Gaudium," said Ffarrah. "Where should we meet up with the rest of you?"

"Just give us a call..." Phantom Girl began. "No 'phones. Unbelievable. OK, so we'll wait for you at MarsMarket. They ought to have everything we need, including breakfast."

"Well, we would have to back-order you a Solid Printer and AutoChef," the Appliances Clerk told them. "Most houses and apartments already have one, you know. But it should ship in a couple of days,"

"We have nowhere near the funds to cover it," said Shrinking Violet. "It might be better for us to each find a cheap apartment to rent, and use whatever Kallor builds us for regular meetings."

"And I don't see us all buying complete wardrobes pre-made," said Phantom Girl. "They're three times as expensive as the Materials Packs."

"Irinia Apero," came a voice. "What are you doing walking around downtown in your pajamas?"

Klar Ken T5477 #1009856 11/23/21 12:08 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER TWENTY
REBUILDING

It was Tinya Nah.

"We had a little accident," said Phantom Girl. She explained about the lost clubhouse, and the loss of all their stuff.

"I'll tell you what," said Tinya. "But a small Materials Pack-- enough to make new clothes for all of you-- and I'll take you to my place in Ctvy Gzaczb on Gzbk, and we'll use my solid printer. My little groundcar will just fit you four: one in the front, and three in the back."

"We're waiting for the Triplicates," said Irinia. "That's three more."

"Just one more, if they pack themselves right. And Shrinking Violet can make room for them."

"I could fly," volunteered Korvea.

"Not to Gzbk," said Tinya. "Not through the Phantom Zone."

"I wouldn't mind a little breakfast first," said Shrinking Violet, indicating the in-store delicatessen.

"If you can wait just an hour," said Tinya, "I can make you whatever you like at home."

"I've been thinking of updating my Phantom Girl costume," said Irinia.

"Well, I wore several different designs when I was Phantom Girl," said Tinya. "I ditched the cape early on, though."

"Oh, I like the cape," said Irinia. "The Mars is cold, and the Phantom Zone is colder. I was thinking of adding a hood."

"You spend a lot more time in the Phantom Zone than I ever did," said Tinya. "Just be careful. It's a big place- a whole other Universe- and it's easy to get lost. They say there are even places where things turn solid. And it connects to other realms-- keep focused on how you travel, or you might end up on the wrong Bgztl or Earth."

"I appreciate the advice," said Irinia.

"I suspect you don't, really," said Tinya. "Just another old woman babbling at you. I understand you've been pushing people, too. That's assault, when you do it against a non-Bgztlr."

"Hey, he was a Daxamite!" said Irinia.

"Yes, and it was self-defense," said Tinya. "But I believe it takes a lot of practice to learn that technique. Which means you had an interesting childhood."

"It's something anyone can learn," said Irinia.

"Anyone can learn to pick a lock, or hot-wire a car," said Tinya. "But most people don't bother."

The new Phantom Girl costume was almost complete. Irinia sighed.

"I lost some really nice Esprit Blanc boots," she said. "Expensive, but sturdy, and really comfortable. They're gone now, and I don't think I'll be able to afford another pair."

"I actually have a Recipe from Esprit Blanc," said Tinya. "I used to buy their boots when I was Phantom Girl. I can make you up a pair."

==============================================================================

"I want to be straightforward with you," said Tinya, when everyone was properly dressed. "I already knew your situation. News travels fast. Ten's Adult Advisor messaged Imra, Imra contacted Rokk, and Lydda informed everybody. If you will accept our help, we would like to help you rebuild."

"You'll need a new AutoChef, and a Solid Printer, with enough Materials Packs to make you furniture. Cleaning 'bots. I expect you will want to install several Cleanrooms in the new Clubhouse Star-Woman is building. Solar power grids would be nice, too. Korvea will need a costume that shape-shifts with her, and Star-Woman has her own particular needs in costuming-- but as they are Planetary Champions, that shouldn't be a problem. Eulia needs to replace her Irulan-fragment lamp from Orzde, and those useful earrings. Renlo Tagor is manufacturing a new robo-nanny, and he and Ten's parents are willing to rebuild his laboratory. You all need Omnicoms-- although you young people prefer 'phones now, don't you? And flight belts: those will be expensive. Or, we could see if Colu is willing to provide you with flight rings. They can be made with built-in communications now, including hologram capacity, which would eliminate the need for 'phones."

"Star-Woman's van and the Ranzz runabout need repairs, too," said Irinia. "New energy-pods. They were taken out by the same technology that took out the Clubhouse. Maybe Jo could take a look?"

"Just a minute," said Shrinking Violet. "This is getting very expensive very quickly. Are you proposing that we ask our parents to pay for all of this?"

"What we are proposing," said Tinya, "Is the Super-Hero Club be registered as an official charitable organization. Your families would donate, as would the governments of Talok VIII, Naltor, and New Titan. We might find others willing to donate as well."

"So we would be essentially a bunch of kids, with our mommies and daddies supporting our super-hero hobby," said Shrinking Violet.

"Well, you are all on the Stipend anyway, which means all the citizens of the United Planets are essentially supporting your hobby. And it was R.J. Brande that supported ours," said Tinya. "But Brande Industries isn't what it was, and Reep's kids are busy spending away his fortune."

"I don't know," said Shrinking Violet. "This isn't exactly how I pictured this." She looked at the others. "What do you think?"

"I think we should get back to the Clubhouse site, and see how the others are getting along," said Matter-Eater Lad Two. "And talk things over with them."

"We haven't discussed the Camelephant in the room," said Tinya. "The Super-Hero Club is apparently under attack. And magical attack, at that."

"Mordru?" asked Ffiona.

"That is what is troubling," said Tinya. "The Embassies to the Sorcerer's World on Earth, Winath, Naltor, and Colu have lost contact with the First Coventry. U.P. ships have been dispatched, but you know if the Sorcerer's World doesn't want to be found... But this doesn't seem like Mordru's work. It's too subtle. Mordru would come in with a vast army of conquest. Living or undead."

"The Dark Coventry, then?" asked Ffiona.

"It seems unlikely that a half-dozen renegades would have the power to shut down the Sorcerer's World," said Tinya. "But be careful. We just don't know what's out there."

"Just because you're paranoid," said Matter-Eater Lad Two, "Doesn't mean they're not all out to get you."

Klar Ken T5477 #1009942 11/24/21 08:52 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I love how alien the Exalbians are! And Dorrit telling the ring off laugh

Fun to see the H-Dial pop up again too!

Klar Ken T5477 #1010073 11/29/21 11:56 AM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
WAR COMES TO THARN

The new Clubhouse, even half-finished, was impressive. Built from meter-high blocks of meteoric rock, with blue-glass windows made from the iron-rich Martian sand, it towered three stories above the beach.

"There's a basement," said Star-Woman. "I thought Ten might put his laboratory there,"

"Maybe the top floor instead?" suggested Phantom Girl. "That way, if there's an explosion, it only takes out a corner of the building?"

Star-Woman thought about this. "I still have plenty of meteor left," she said. "Maybe I could build a detached lab."

Lightning Lass stood by a pile of drying salvage. "I think Chameleon and Pol salvaged enough battery-power, but they will take a while to charge," she said. "But we were only able to find one repairable Cleanroom. There are going to be some long lines."

"I brought you some one-size-fits-all golden slippers," said Tinya. "And I'm willing to make the rest of you new uniforms, if you come back to Ctvy Gzaczb with me. Although I understand Naltor has already shipped a couple of new outfits for Kallor."

"News travels fast," said Chameleon. "Fortunately, my Zo'Ok came through with me. It is too bad the rest of you cannot bond with one of these little metamorphic plants. They are tremendously useful."

"I tried," shrugged Saturn Girl. "Despite being a telepath, it didn't particularly like me."

There was a distant, familiar crowing, which grew louder and louder, until the magical green rooster Chanticleer materialized. He was accompanied this time by a scrawny, hunch-backed white-haired old woman in a stained sand-colored dress.

"I am Chicken Jane," she introduced herself. "Emissary of the First Coventry of Tharn. You are needed."

"Who... " began Tinya. But Chanticleer was crowing again, and half the members of the Super-Hero Club abruptly disappeared.

"Who was that?" asked Korvea.

"The rooster we've met before," said Cosmic Boy. "The old lady is new."

"I thought the Tharnians were our friends," said Polar Lass.

"Mrs. Nah," said Star-Woman, "I apologize, we..."

Tinya Nah took out her Omnicom. "Lydda? I have an update on our little problem."

Saturn Girl, Lightning Lass, the Triplicates, Matter-Eater Lad Two, and Chameleon appeared on Tharn with Chanticleer and Chicken Jane.

"Ah, my young friends," Doctor Leitseid greeted them. "It appears the Analysts have overplayed their hand. When they attacked you, we realized that your powers were just what we needed to defeat them once and for all."

"You'll need to bring us up to speed," said Saturn Girl. "Just who are the Analysts, and why are they attacking us?"

"They are a race from half-way across the Universe," said Doctor Leitseid. "Fully half the age of the Guardians. They practice an art which is neither Science nor Magic, but transcends both."

"Neither Science nor Magic?" asked Saturn Girl. "How is that possible?"

"As an example," said Doctor Leitseid, "Your Science has a sub-discipline known as Chemistry, which identifies hundreds of chemical elements. Magic has Alchemy, which identifies only four: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. There are other methodologies, using up to twelve basic elements. Zoeka, the art of the Analysts, has a discipline we call Chemomology which is based on four other elements: Hydrogen, Iron, the number 137, and the square root of fortuity."

"The Analysts are obsessed with keeping a balance between Science and Magic throughout the Universe. Tharn is an offense to them, as there is a high concentration of mana here. Your clubhouse was another affront, as our twelve-fold spell kept the area around it free of mana."

The Members stood in the midst of a wide, desolate desert. "Where on Tharn are we?" asked Saturn Girl.

"This is St. Bosco," said Doctor Leitseid, spreading his arms. "The Capitol City. A ruin now. It has been devastated. We have been at war with the Analysts for many years."

"But we were here less than two years ago," said Saturn Girl. "There was no sign of war or desolation then."

"Time is one of their weapons," said Doctor Leitseid. "But we are fighting back."

"What can we do?" asked Lightning Lass.

"If you will accompany these two gentlemen." Two dwarves appeared out of nowhere. "You can empower one of our great champions."

"I can make use of the Cargggans," said a familiar voice.

"Mr. Prospero!" said Ffarrah. "Our pizza man is a Tharnan?"

"Mr. Kastellus Prospero," the old man re-introduced himself. "Not a Tharnan, but Sorcerer-- an Alchemist, actually-- and currently employed in the war against the Analysts. Also a restaurateur." He winked. "And a pizza man."

They also recognized young Jon Falstaff, Apprentice to Falco Columbarius. "I would like to borrow Matter-Eater Lad Two," he announced.

A tall woman who introduced herself as Mariam Abraxas took Saturn Girl aside.

A Durlan Sorcerer claimed Chameleon.

Lightning Lass was introduced to a trio of sorcerers: a giant of a man, at least eight feet tall, and two dwarves, each only half as tall..

"I am Magni Donarson," said the red-bearded ginger giant. "And these are my associates, Metal-Worker and Spark-Sprayer."

"I know Tharnans typically take on pseudonyms," said Star-Woman. "Why have you named yourself after an ancient god?"

The giant laughed, a hearty, earth-shaking laugh.

"He has not named himself anything," said Spark-Sprayer. "He is, in fact, Magni Donarson, Norse god of Strength.."

"Sadly, I have lost my father's weapon," said Magni Donarson. "That is where you come in."

The two dwarves indicated a clearing in the ground. There was the outline of a massive, long-handled hammer dug into the soil.

"The first Mjolnir was forged from The Lightning itself," said Spark-Sprayer.

"We intend to make a second out of living lightning!" said Metal-Worker. "Sit, have a good breakfast." There was a table full of food, which Dacey had not noticed before. "Then fill the form with your power! We will work it into a weapon fit for a god."

Dacey ate heartily. She appeared to be magically hungry. For the next six hours, she trained her lightning on the empty hole. By the time she was finished, there seemed to be a faint, ethereal sparkling.

"Break for lunch!" cried Spark-Sprayer. This time the two dwarves joined her. Dacey was ravenous, but they ate and drank far more than she did. Magni Donarson was nowhere to be seen.

She continued shooting lightning into the ground. This time, the two dwarves stood beside the hole, with strange tools, somehow guiding and shaping the flow of electricity. After a couple of hours, clouds formed overhead, and a steady stream of lightning fell from the sky, augmenting Dacey's power. She continued on, draining herself, when with a shock another bolt of lightning fell from the sky, striking her this time. She channeled the glowing energy towards the forming weapon. The two dwarves were almost dancing with glee as they worked the lightning with their strange tools. The smell of ozone filled the air. And... magic? At last, exhausted, Dacey collapsed... and Magni Donarson was there to catch her, and gently lay her on a soft couch.

The weapon, long-handled, half-axe, half-hammer, glowed white, then yellow, then red, then faded to the color of cold iron. The dwarves pulled it out, and wrapped the handle with some sort of leather.

"Dragon-hide," Metal-Worker explained. Dacey was too tired to question or wonder.

Magni hefted the new Mjolnir. "And now the Analysts shall feel my wrath!" He spun the weapon once, then flung it straight upwards into the sky.

"All that work," thought Dacey, "And he throws it away."

The last she saw, slipping into sleep, was Magni leaping into the sky himself, following his hammer.

Klar Ken T5477 #1010074 11/29/21 12:01 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
DAQUARELLE

"I was unaware that any Durlans had resided on the Sorcerer's World," said Chameleon.

"You were one of the Clan of the Nameless Ones," said the Durlan sorcerer. "Now an Exile. Have you taken a name?"

"Only 'Chameleon'," said Chameleon.

"You should take a name," said Daquarelle. "To continue to honor your clan's traditions is absurd. Fit in. It is what we exiles do. Male or female or xenale, if I may ask?"

"I am still young. I have not even decided my gender yet," said Chameleon.

"You may call me Daquarelle," said the Sorcerer. "Once of the Carapace Clan. My Durlan name, of course, has been expunged. Even to utter it is a high crime on our homeworld. I am as much an Exile as you."

"But why the Sorcerer's World?" Chameleon persisted.

"Why here?" said Daquarelle. "If not Durla, why anywhere? How well do you play Mirror Game?"

"Well enough," said Chameleon.

Daquarelle assumed a pose. Chameleon imitated him. Daquarelle shape-shifted into a form identical to Chameleon's younger, plainer form. He assumed another pose. Chameleon copied him.

"You must try harder," said Daquarelle. "Exactness is required. Only Perfection is Eternal."

Daquarelle assumed a series of poses, then forms, changing more and more rapidly. Chameleon mirrored him with increasing difficulty.

"Is this magic?" Chameleon asked, gasping for breath.

"Like produces like," Daquarelle intoned. "The attributes without mirror the powers within." His form was shifting rapidly. Chameleon strained to keep up. " Thrice spoken, once fulfilled. Flame permeates All. Flame permeates All. Flame permeates All. Dominance, or Submission!"

The Durlan sorcerer burst into white flame, a transformation Chameleon was unable to replicate. Thick white smoke filled the air, thinned, then dissipated.

Daquarelle was gone.

Chameleon slumped to the ground, default form now gelatinous and quivering, veins pulsing, lungs burning, breath coming hard and ragged. Chameleon sat alone, unaware of the passage of time.

Time passed.

A long shadow fell.

"You did well, for a first try," said the sorcerer Daquarelle. "Let me know when you are ready to try again."

"Again?" said Chameleon.

Klar Ken T5477 #1010075 11/29/21 12:04 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
KASTELLUS PROSPERO

"I can't believe you've been a sorcerer all this time," said Ffiona, as the four of them walked over the barren sands.

"An alchemist," said Prospero. "Educated on Tharn. But that was long ago. For most of my life, I ran a restaurant in Rabe City on Mars."

"You're older than you look, aren't you?" said Ffiona.

"That would be telling," said Prospero. They came to a small station in the middle of nowhere, a table with some standard chemistry equipment. Prospero picked up three small marbles, and handed them out to the three girls-- one white, one red, one green.

"The concentrated essences of air, fire, and earth," he said. "I need to fuse them. It is a long process, alchemically speaking, and I keep getting interrupted. You can do it instantly."

"How?" asked Ffarrah.

"Isn't it obvious?" asked Prospero. "Hold them tightly, and fuse yourselves together. Quantum-temporal forces will do the rest."

"I'm not sure..." said Ffey.

"Be sure," said Prospero. The girls fused... and three marbles rolled out of their hands onto the ground.

"Try again," said Prospero. The triplicates tried again, but this time rebounded from each other.

"There is a Cargggan superstition," said Ffarrah, "That triplicating three times in one day is bad luck."

"Probably no need for concern," said Prospero, "Even if I were a superstitious man. Time on Tharn is so twisted now-- it is difficult to tell how many days have passed since you arrived."

"Days?" asked Ffiona.

"Yes," said Prospero. "Think for a moment-- how many pizzas have the three of you eaten with me since you arrived?" The triplicates noted the stack of empty pizza boxes next to the chemistry-lab table.

"Oh," said Ffarrah. "A lot?"

"Ugh," said Ffey. "I haven't taken a sonic in forever."

"Why are we only remembering this now?" asked Ffarrah.

"Time is one of the weapons of the Analysts," said Prospero. "It's late. One more try, and you can go to bed?"

The triplicates noticed the four unmade cots-- one well separated from the other three.

They held the three spheres tightly in their fists again. They merged-- and there was the sense of things going right. The Triplicate Girl opened her hand, and there was a shining golden sphere.

"Perfect," said Prospero. "The tri-elemental compound." There was a blue marble of the same size set on a tripod on the table. "The fundamental essence of water," Prospero explained. "The Universal solvent." He took the golden marble, and dropped it onto the blue one. The two fused, then vanished. There was a sensation of the sky lowering, becoming heavier. Prospero looked up. "The Quintessence," he said. "Protecting the planet, like a polymer shield. Let the Analysts try to break through that with their weapons."

"And now I have a reward for you," said Prospero. He handed each of the triplicates a test-tube of clear liquid. "Drink," he said. "You can trust me. I?m not going to poison you. How often have you eaten at my pizza joint?"

They drank.

"Nothing seems different..." said Ffiona. "Oh!" Their ragged nightgowns had been replaced with copies of their standard orange-and-purple uniforms.

"Are these magic clothes?" asked Ffarrah.

"Magic?" said Prospero. "No, just ordinary clothes. Good quality, but you will need to wash, and mend, and... I don't know... fold them? -- just like ordinary clothing. I based them on what you wear when you come to my restaurant."

Klar Ken T5477 #1010076 11/29/21 12:07 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
JON FALSTAFF

"I remember you," said Matter-Eater Lad Two. "You're one of the Apprentices who have visited us a couple of times. You look older. And you've lost weight."

"It's the war," said Jon Falstaff. They had come to a small house, standing in the middle of the desert. The paint was peeling. "It ages you,"

"How can I help?" asked Hillarie. "I'm no magician, and my abilities aren't exactly the most powerful."

"Our powers are wonderfully complementary," said Falstaff. "I can produce any sort of food, and in massive quantities." He picked up several sheets of celluloid plasteel from a table. "Do you know what these are?"

"Diagrams, of some kind," said Hillarie. "Engineers call them 'blueprints', although I've never understood why." He examined the sheets more carefully. "It says here, these are designs for a Quantum Fusion Bomb? I have a friend whose grandmother was killed by one of these."

"Could you eat it?" asked Falstaff.

"Of course," said Hillarie. "It's just a mechanism, no matter how complex."

"Then I can make it," said Falstaff. A small quantum fusion bomb appeared on the table.

Hillarie jumped, startled.

"It's perfectly safe," said Falstaff. "It takes a complex series of codes to detonate it. Now take a look at these designs."

Hillarie looked at blueprints for ground-to-space missiles, null-bombs, and disintegrator arrays.

"Could you eat those?" asked Falstaff.

"I see where this is going," said Hillarie. "You say you can conjure up this stuff in any quantity?"

"Usually," said Falstaff, "I just do rains of molasses, or floods of hot tomato soup. But in this case... look out the window."

A forest of missiles the size of skyscrapers, topped with various nasty-looking warheads, stretched to the horizon, interspersed with deflectors, reflectors, and electromagnetic antennae.

"How... how close do I need to stay to you for you to keep them... tangible?" asked Hillarie. "It's kind of terrifying, being in the middle of such firepower."

"Oh, once I create something, it persists on its own-- unless I get rid of it. Fortunately, we have already won-- the Analysts have withdrawn, and I can transform it all now."

As Matter-Eater Lad Two watched, the forest of missiles transformed into a forest of trees.

Klar Ken T5477 #1010077 11/29/21 12:13 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
MARIAM ABRAXAS

"Mariam Abraxas," said Saturn Girl. "You are one of the current members of the First Coventry, is that correct?"

"I am," said the tall, blonde woman, robed in silver and gold. "I replaced Voluntas Klavanatus on the Council when Zerox was carried off to another dimension. He is my brother."

She looked at Dorrit as though this ought to mean something to her.

"My powers work best," said Mariam Abraxas, "When I empower others."

"You want to... enhance my powers?" asked Saturn Girl.

"I want you to... borrow... the powers of a goddess," said the sorceress. "A goddess of the mind."

"How?" asked Dorrit.

"Do you agree?" asked Mariam Abraxas. "To battle against the Analysts?"

"Yes," said Dorrit.

There was no warning. No incantations, no gestures, no magic symbols. Saturn Girl found herself in a court of law, out of her pajamas, now wearing her regular costume, before a judge of some kind. The woman looked at her sternly. It was actually more of a podium than a judge's bench, and a church more than a court. There were several judges, quite a few, actually. Like a church choir. Or a sea of spectators in an arena. Many of the women looked human. Some carried musical instruments, or weapons, or tools. She saw one with an archaic set of scales. Some had animal heads. Some were clearly alien. She picked out a Khund, a Myrnahn, a Houyhnhnm. One appeared as a robot, who could have come from early cinema. All were considering Saturn Girl with a stern, judgmental glare.

Mariam Abraxas appeared beside her. "Who will lend their power to my acolyte in her quest for justice?" she asked.

There was a murmuring among the crowd. A stately, white-haired woman in a plain white robe stepped forward.

"I am Metis, Counsellor of Wisdom," said the goddess. "I will take her as my avatar." White wings spread from behind her, as a glow infused her body. She grew brighter and brighter, transforming into pure light, which enveloped Saturn Girl.

"Say my name," said Mariam Abraxas.

"Mariam..." said Saturn Girl, "Abraxas." The word thundered.

The court / church / arena vanished, and the goddesses as well. The sky opened, and the new Dorrit Ardeen, the Avatar of Metis, saw the flotilla of Analyst ships surrounding Tharn. And yet they were not surrounding only Tharn, but the entire United Planets. And yet they had never left their home system. They were attacking, but also under attack, with spells and technological weapons from powerful sorcerers and their allies. The Avatar of Metis took control of the battle, moving the warriors as one might move chess pieces. The war was over, but the Avatar of Metis could not determine who had been the victor. She fell back into herself, the sky closing, the vision dimming.

"How long?" asked Dorrit. She was still dressed in her Saturn Girl costume.

"A few minutes," said Mariam Abraxas. "Several years. An eternity. We won. The Analysts have withdrawn. Thank you."

Klar Ken T5477 #1010290 12/06/21 12:08 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
DOCTOR LEITSEID

The Members were in the chamber of the First Coventry. St. Bosco had been restored.

"It's as if the war never happened," said Saturn Girl.

"To the contrary," said Doctor Leitseid. "The face of the Sorcerer's World is always changing, and has changed again after the Analyst's War. Already the birds and animals of Tharn are finding their way into the Norjayne Forest. It is said a unicorn has been seen there."

"Wow," said Matter-Eater Lad Two. "I have a forest named after me. Wait until I tell Mom and Dad."

"There were, of course, no casualties on either side," said Doctor Leitseid. "This was a Wizard's War, a contest of power. Although our opponents did not use any magic against us; a contravention of the Rules of War. Still, among the literally hundreds of millions of sorcerers who fought, you have distinguished yourselves. We thank you for your service." Doctor Leitseid paused. "Unfortunately, regarding your headquarters, we find we are unable to restore it to you, nor your other possessions... but we have manufactured another mana-eating spell for you, to replace the one you lost." He presented the Members with a medium-sized gift box.

"Will it protect us from another attack from the Analysts?" asked Saturn Girl.

"Sadly, no," said Doctor Leitseid. "Nor will it protect you against science-based attacks, nor the transcendental powers of angels or gods."

"Wait," said Saturn Girl, "Do we have gods angry with us now?"

"No, no, of course not," said Doctor Leitseid. "In fact, you have the sincere gratitude of Magni Donarson and his pantheon: Vili, Vidar, Ve, and so forth. Of course," he mused, "the gods can be mercurial and unpredictable... but I believe there is really no need to worry."

"I always worry when people tell me not to worry," said Lightning Lass.

"The wisdom of youth," said Doctor Leitseid.

The members shook hands with each of the thirteen members of the First Coventry. Mariam Abraxas embraced Saturn Girl.

"So how do we get home?" Saturn Girl asked. "Chanticleer, again?"

"Sadly, no," said Doctor Leitseid. "The enchanted green rooster and his mistress are busy with the continued rebuilding of the Sorcerer's World. We have arranged more mundane transport for you."

The bus driver was a wyvern. "What should we call you?" asked Ffiona.

"Call me Wyvern," said the wyvern. "Why must you humans give everything a name? Sit down, buckle up, the seats are comfortable enough for you to doze off in. A small, tasteless snack will be served in a few hours."

The magical Star-Bus took a journey through some sort of extra-dimensional warp space none of the Members were familiar with. Sometimes the sky was the familiar inky-black of space, sometimes it was bright with flaring, neon colors, sometimes the stars looked like paper cut-outs. Once they drove through a green field of waving grass, from which odd creatures poked their heads. At last, they arrived at the parking lot near the Super-Hero Clubhouse.

Klar Ken T5477 #1010291 12/06/21 12:13 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
NEW CLUBHOUSE, NEW PROBLEMS

"I like what you've done with the place," said Saturn Girl to Star-Woman."How did you get the iridescent rainbow color?"

"I used my lightning vision to electroplate the Clubhouse in anodized titanium," said Star-Woman.

"Where have you been?" asked Cosmic Boy."It was announced on the news services the day after you left that you had helped the Sorcerer's World defend the U.P. from an intergalactic invasion. But it's been two weeks!"

"Time... " said Saturn Girl. "It's one of their weapons."

"These are the people... creatures... who stole the old Clubhouse," said Ffiona. "Well, sealed it in that iron sphere."

"Odd thing, that," said Star-Woman. "After we heard you had won the war, I went to retrieve the black sphere. I had a hard time finding it. It has been reduced to about a centimeter in diameter. We had Shrinking Violet and Phantom Girl try to investigate, but it is as impenetrable as ever. Ten thinks it's some kind of stasis field he doesn't understand."

"The Tharnans called them the Analysts," said Saturn Girl. "They use some kind of technology that is neither magic nor science."

"I think we need to get everyone together for a conference," said Shrinking Violet. "Get everyone up-to-date."

The fourteen members gathered in the new Conference Room. Saturn Girl, the Triplicates, Chameleon, Lightning Lass, and Matter-Eater Lad Two related the magical events on Tharn as best they could."

"So all these sorcerers have various ways of producing clothing from thin air," said Matter Eater Lad Two. Falstaff made me a new costume, and a spare."

"The Nahs outfitted most of us from their home Solid Printer," said Phantom Girl. "Also curtains for all the windows."

"We have our own Solid Printer and AutoChef now," said Shrinking Violet. "Ten returned, and set up a solar array, so we are still independent of the New Metropolis grid. We have water, and light, and HVAC. Beds and chairs and study tables in all the rooms. We stocked the communal kitchen area. New 'phones for everyone. My parents sent me a new white dwarf star radiator. Ten has a new Robo-nanny, Vesta Mak II. But we don't yet have resources for new flight belts yet, or a central communications wallscreen. And still only one cleanroom, not counting the one in the Sojourner."

"Aquaboy even came from Pretzor," said Cosmic Boy. "To help Korvea and I look for salvage. But we have not found anything near as complete as the old Subs cruiser, or even enough material to replace it. Jaan went back home, after he saw how much rebuilding we still have to do."

"Well, we've built up the Club from scratch before," said Saturn Girl. "And we can do it again. Tharn sent us a new 'mana-eating' spell, so we should distribute the amulets and artifacts around the Clubhouse."

"There's one more problem," said Shrinking Violet. "We had to take out a loan to get it all done. Used all our stipends as security, with auto-deduct on the loan. Even for you Members who were on Tharn. For two years, we will have about enough left over from the stipend to feed ourselves.Unless we can find more resources, any super-heroing we do will have to be done on the cheap."

"Well, nobody has to stay if they don't want to," said Saturn Girl. "The Super-Hero Club can still go forward. Everybody still on board? This isn't quite working out the way Dacey, Pol, and I imagined, but we'll find a way."

"You're very optimistic. I'm not even sure how we are going to pay the property taxes next month," said Shrinking Violet.

"Without the Super-Hero Club," whispered Chameleon to the Triplicates, "Where would we go?".

Klar Ken T5477 #1010293 12/06/21 12:17 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
SOMEONE TOLD ME IT'S ALL HAPPENING AT THE ZOO

The new Clubhouse was full of iron. More iron than even OmniteTM, the proto-material used by the Solid Printer. Saturn Girl assumed that the baroque designs of the iron furnishings were Cosmic Boy's doing.

Chameleon joined her at the table, breakfasting on some sort of overly fragrant vegetable mash, which quashed her appetite for pancakes.

"You have seemed quite conservative with your powers," Saturn Girl noted. "I know not all Durlans are the same, but Reep Daggle was remarkably versatile."

"I am good with humans," said Chameleon, morphing through a dozen residents seen in New Metropolis. "Reep Daggle was originally admitted for his power of 'super-disguise'. I am sure his exposure to a variety of alien worlds over his years with the Legion exponentially increased his abilities."

"My folks said Mr. Daggle could even replicate Bgztlr powers," said Saturn Girl.

"Imitate, not replicate," said Chameleon. "Nearly any Durlan can. We cannot move through the fourth dimension, as Irinia can, but I can imitate the three-dimensional projection of her four-dimensional molecules." Chameleon wiggled the long antennae on his forehead, morphing into a duplicate of Phantom Girl. She passed her hand through the iron breakfast table. "You see, it's a bit sticky, not smoothly phantomwise. But I could walk through a wall, if I had to. What I really need is some exposure to more exotic forms."

"You should study online encyclopedias," Saturn Girl suggested.

Chameleon produced a 'phone from nowhere, like a magician. "This is a Venusian Sneep. Have you ever seen one?"

"No... kind of weird-looking, aren't they?" said Saturn Girl.

"I spent some time studying them," said Chameleon. "Strictly pictures of them, though. This is the best I can do." Shapeshifting again, Chameleon became a poor copy of a Sneep-- flat and angular, like a cartoon, or badly-folded origami. There was also something wrong with the perspective. "My super-acute Durlan eyes can get the colors right, but without the ultrasonic molecular feedback of my antennae... Well, this is the best I can do."

"I ought to take you on a field trip to the Kinshasa Interstellar Zoo on Earth," said Saturn Girl. "That would certainly expose you to a variety of unusual life-forms."

"Are you free tomorrow?" asked Chameleon.

The Interstellar Zoo was huge; more like an animal park, really. But the gate would not open, even though Saturn Girl and Chameleon had purchased tickets. A red light was blinking. One of the guards came over. He was the tallest human Saturn Girl had ever seen, but long and lanky, as if someone had stretched an ordinary man like a rubber band.

"Excuse me, miss," said the guard, "Are you aware that your friend is a Durlan?"

Chameleon shifted out of the human form he had assumed-- a random girl from New Metropolis-- and into the U.P.-approved default shape for female Durlans. "I'm sorry" Chameleon said. "We didn't want to create a scene by drawing attention."

"Well, they really won't allow us to let Durlans into the zoo," said the guard. "Not saying anything would happen, but something could happen, if you know what I mean."

"Then can we get a refund?" asked Chameleon.

The guard clicked a pad over the tickets. They vanished. "Done." he said. "Your accounts have been credited."

On the way back to the Runabout, Saturn Girl started to apologize.

"Don't worry about it," said Chameleon, shifting back to androgynous form. "It's not just Earth. Durlans are persona non grata all over. Sometimes, even on Durla"

Klar Ken T5477 #1010294 12/06/21 12:20 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
AN EXPENSIVE GIFT

Korvea had found a sheltered pool, with a waterfall, where she had been taking her morning showers in bird-form, to free up the cleanroom. Morphing back into human form, but keeping her black wings, she donned her Shadow-Champion-In-Training uniform, and flew back to the Clubhouse under her own power.

There was something new here: a three-meter-tall, silver-white pyramid stood in the corner of their parking lot. Korvea swooped down, and found two insectoid sentients, each standing before a dais shaped like a triangular prism.

There was a continual ticking, clicking and chirping, and one of the creatures spoke through a voder:

"Greetings, Korvea. This is a gift to the Super-Hero Club from ColuGov. It is a Spacetime Pentachoron, especially adapted for interstellar travel. We are here to assist you in achieving your chosen destinations."

"You're not Coluans," Korvea objected. "You're... Circadians?"

"Correct," said the Circadian. "I am Circadia Ascheon, and this is my associate, Circadia Segundus. We have been employed by ColuGov as Pentachoron Operators. We will be available for half of each Martian day-cycle, each day of the week."

"Er... thank you, Circadians," said Korvea. "This is unexpected." She went to the Clubhouse common kitchen for breakfast. Polar Lass was the only one up yet. "So it seems we now have access to a private Stargate," she told her. "With two Circadian employees. Wow, that smells good. What are you eating?"

"Kippers and poached eggs," said Polar Lass. "Really? A Stargate?"

Ten entered the room, Vesta II hovering over his shoulder. "We own it, actually," he said. "It is a gift from ColuGov. And it has the potential of being far more than a Stargate. The Pentachoron has the ability to temporarily amalgamate any two addresses of Spacetime."

"Well, I guess that means we won't be needing the Sojourner any more," said Polar Lass.

"The Pentachoron is perfectly capable of transporting the Sojourner, with us in it, anywhere in the Galaxy," Ten told her.

It was not long before the entire membership was outside, gathered around the Pentachoron.

"I have a bad feeling about this," said Saturn Girl.

"Why? This is amazing!" said Cosmic Boy. "I'm just wrapping my head around it. This could be incredibly useful!"

"Yes," said Saturn Girl. "But what do they want us to use it for."

"[i]It is a gift from ColuGov," said Circadia Segundus, chittering. "It 'has no strings', is your idiom, I believe."

"'No strings attached'," said Star-Woman.

"But where will they stay?" whispered Saturn Girl.

"I would assume," said Ten, addressing the Circadians, "That you have already constructed a comfortable burrow beneath the Pentachoron." He indicated a low, cave-like construction a little way from the parking lot. "And that is the entrance?"

"It is an emergency exit," said Circadia Segundus. "In ordinary circumstances, we will be using the Pentachoron to enter or depart our underground apartment. We will be immediately available for service."

"I'd like to be the first to test it," said Shrinking Violet. "Today is my little sister Song's birthday, and I was sad about missing it." She gave the Circadians the address on Orzde. They tapped on the triangular daises, and Shrinking Violet flickered and vanished. A moment later, she re-appeared.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I only meant to be gone a couple of hours, but it turned into a real party. I was so exhausted, I stayed overnight."

"Eulia," said Saturn Girl, "You were gone for less than a second."

Klar Ken T5477 #1011042 01/03/22 01:09 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
CHAPTER THIRTY
MORE GIFTS

"We are receiving shipments," said Circadia Ascheon. "I am transporting them to your conference room in the common area."

The common area was filled with packages and artifacts.

"Look," said Shrinking Violet. "The Trylops Council of Mernl sent us an upgraded Wallscreen."

Star-Woman went over to a tall stack of long, flat frames. "These are... CleanRoom Tessaracts. Like the one Mr. Nah installed in the Sojourner. There are enough here to put one on the wall of every room. Private sonics!"

"No more showering in the woods," said Korvea and Chameleon together. They looked at each other, amused.

"Daxam sent several Medi-Kits," Cosmic Boy noted.

"Oranx sent extra uniforms," said Ffey. "These look to be very good quality."

"Amazonia sent... underwear?" said Ffarrah.

"No," said Lightning Lass. "Those are trans-suits!"

"Oh, my mother always wanted one of these for her kitchen," said Polar Lass. "It's a Tharran Chrono-Fridge(r)." It was a little metal box about a meter square.

"A what?" asked Saturn Girl.

"Watch this," said Polar Lass. She placed her thumb against a lighted spot on the handle for a few seconds. The door opened. Polar Lass spun a snowball out of thin air, placed it in the Chrono-Fridge(r), and closed the door. "Now you open it," she instructed Saturn Girl.

Saturn Girl pressed her thumb against the lighted spot on the handle. Nothing happened.

"It's reading your biometrics," said Polar Lass. "Creating a personal account." The door opened.

The little box was empty.

"That snowball I put in there? It's been sent into the future. It's gone, until I open the 'Fridge again. And for the snowball no time will have passed. There will not have been time for it to melt. It will be just as cold and fresh as when I put it in. Great for leftovers."

"And I could put something in..." said Saturn Girl.

"And only you could get it out," said Polar Lass. "Now that you've established an account."

"A temporal tesseract," said Ten. "The theory... how odd, this package has Yoddish writing on it. But Colu has already... it says, 'From The Laboratory of Querl Dox'." He took off the packing paper and opened the flat box. Inside were three dozen small medallions, each about the size of a dime, with a stylized SHC embossed on each of them. Ten quickly scanned the instructions on the lid. He looked up. "These are Flight Rings!" he said. Ten picked up one of the little medallions and placed it on his right index finger. Golden energy wrapped around his finger, completing the ring. "It's already syncing with my 'phone," he said. "Telepathic interface. Tracking module. Zero-point energy source. Beautiful." He looked into the box again. "Some of these have names-- specialty rings for Shrinking Violet, the Triplicates, Phantom Girl, Star-Woman, Chameleon, and Korvea. I assume the rest are identical."

"You seem pleased," said Saturn Girl.

"Pleased?" said Ten. "These were manufactured at the laboratory of the most brilliant technologist in the Galaxy!"

"Who just happens to be a personal friend of my parents," said Saturn Girl.

"Surely you don't think..." said Lightning Lass. "Oh! But you do!"

"Look at the return addresses," said Saturn Girl. "WinathGov. BraalGov. XanthuGov. TitanGov. NaltorGov. Wondil IX. Seeing a pattern?"

"Talok VIII has sent a beautiful Zhaah-Mong set with Parobsidian game pieces," said Korvea.

"And did you see this?" asked Chameleon. "This is Spectrium, the rainbow metal."

"What's this?" asked Polar Lass. "It's from Xolnar."

"I recognize that: those are fragments of raw Pluridium, set inside into transparent aluminium wafers," said Matter-Eater Lad. "Valuable, but highly toxic to non-Bismollians. You don't want to break them open. I wonder if there is anything from Bismoll?" He searched the table. "Oh, this is interesting. Inertron-plated lead pellets. A real delicacy."

"No, it's not food," said Saturn Girl. "Don't you understand? Look at this: Durlan Spice. Promethium. Coaxium. Spican Flame Gems. Dazzle Gems. Thanagarian Nth metal. This is money! And that's no refrigerator. It's a safe! All this could be exchanged at any Galactic Bank for... hundred of thousands of credits, I suspect. These are... bribes!"

"What?" asked Star-Woman. "What are you talking about?"

"It seems to me," said Shrinking Violet, "That with what we have here today, the Super-Hero Club could be financially independent."

"You mean financially dependent," said Saturn Girl. "Dependent on the U.P., beholden to them, ready to do their bidding, or we get cut off."

"Dorrit," said Lightning Lass. "This seems like a real opportunity-- the chance to be a real, new Legion of Super-Heroes-- a chance to do some real good."

"But is this what we really want?" asked Saturn Girl, gesturing dismissively at the glittering horde. "As for me, this is not what I signed up for. Don?t you know ?gifts? always have a price? I may as well go back to Lightning Ring Farms."

The rest of the Super-Hero Club membership seemed nonplussed.

"In fact, that is just exactly what I'm going to do," said Saturn Girl. "I'm going to go talk to the Circadians. Dacey, you can keep the Runabout."

Dorritt stormed out.

"That was unexpected," said Star-Woman.

"Kind of," said Lightning Lass. "Kind of not. You weren't here at the beginning."

"She is right about one thing," said Star-Woman. "Our financial prospects are certainly looking up."

"And this is from MarsGov," said Shrinking Violet. "The final, confirmed deed to the Club property. Not that we haven't earned it."

"Weren't you expecting that anyway?" asked Star-Woman.

"Yes, but its arrival today is propitious," said Shrinking Violet. "Either that, or a reminder our property taxes are due soon."

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,049
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Non-Magnetic Kid
Non-Magnetic Kid
We're coming Vee!!!!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star