Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller, Chaim Mattis Keller), 41 Murran Spies, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 04:22 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 03:19 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
George Perez reveals he has Stage 3 Pancreatic Cancer
#1010334 12/07/21 12:55 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally Posted by George Perez's art agent via Facebook
From George to his fans, friends and extended family, please read below. This page will serve as a place to connect with George as well as receive updates. Please, respect the privacy of George and his family at this difficult time and reach out ONLY through this avenue.

Thank you and please see below:

To all my fans, friends and extended family,

It's rather hard to believe that it?s been almost three years since I formally announced my retirement from producing comics due to my failing vision and other infirmities brought on primarily by my diabetes. At the time I was flattered and humbled by the number of tributes and testimonials given me by my fans and peers. The kind words spoken on those occasions were so heartwarming that I used to quip that ?the only thing missing from those events was me lying in a box.?

It was amusing at the time, I thought.

Now, not so much. On November 29th I received confirmation that, after undergoing surgery for a blockage in my liver, I have Stage 3 Pancreatic Cancer. It is surgically inoperable and my estimated life expectancy is between 6 months to a year. I have been given the option of chemotherapy and/or radiation therapy, but after weighing all the variables and assessing just how much of my remaining days would be eaten up by doctor visits, treatments, hospital stays and dealing with the often stressful and frustrating bureaucracy of the medical system, I've opted to just let nature take its course and I will enjoy whatever time I have left as fully as possible with my beautiful wife of over 40 years, my family, friends and my fans.

Since I received my diagnosis and prognosis, those in my inner circle have given me so much love, support and help, both practical and emotional. They've given me peace.

There will be some business matters to take care of before I go. I am already arranging with my art agent to refund the money paid for sketches that I can no longer finish. And, since, despite only having one working eye, I can still sign my name, I hope to coordinate one last mass book signing to help make my passing a bit easier. I also hope that I will be able to make one last public appearance wherein I can be photographed with as many of my fans as possible, with the proviso that I get to hug each and every one of them. I just want to be able to say goodbye with smiles as well as tears.

I know that many of you will have questions to ask or comments to make, and rather than fueling the fires of speculation and well-meaning but potentially harmful miscommunication, I will be returning to the arena of social media by starting a new Facebook account where fans and friends can communicate with me or my designated rep directly for updates and clarification.

For media and press inquiries, please use the contact information on the page as well. Please respect the privacy of my wife and family at this time and use the Facebook page rather than reaching out through other channels.

I may not be able to respond as quickly as I would like since I will be endeavoring to get as much outside pleasure as I can in the time allotted me, but I will do my best. Kind words would also be greatly appreciated. More details to follow once it's up and running.

Well, that's it for now. This is not a message I enjoyed writing, especially during the Holiday Season, but, oddly enough, I?m feeling the Christmas spirit more now than I have in many years. Maybe it's because it will likely be my last. Or maybe because I am enveloped in the loving arms of so many who love me as much as I love them. It's quite uplifting to be told that you've led a good life, that you've brought joy to so many lives and that you?ll be leaving this world a better place because you were part of it. To paraphrase Lou Gehrig: "Some people may think I got a bad break, but today, I feel like the luckiest man on the face of the Earth."

Take care of yourselves-and thank you.
George Perez
December 7th, 2021

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 12/07/21 03:46 PM.
Re: George Perez reveals he has Stage 3 Pancreatic Cancer
Nightcrawler #1010337 12/07/21 01:11 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
oh my... thanks for sharing Nighty. I'm hopping on over to his page...

Nightcrawler #1010339 12/07/21 02:00 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Thanks, Nighty. I've only been hearing the news secondhand from everyone's reactions.

Gonna send some extra good vibes towards George and his family this holiday season. After all, it was his work that made me start to pick up comics in a big way with his Batman work in 1989.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Nightcrawler #1010343 12/07/21 02:18 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Oh, Mr. Perez. If my back is ever up against the wall like this, I hope that I too can face it with the composure and courage you're showing us here. <3

flag

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Nightcrawler #1010352 12/07/21 08:31 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I just finished rereading George Perez Storyteller yesterday, wondered how his health was, and hoped he was enjoying his retirement as much as possible.

Such a dignified message with such sad news. I can only hope for as many bright moments in dark times ahead, and send love to him, his family, friends and fans.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Nightcrawler #1010365 12/08/21 04:19 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
This is so sad, I legit teared up when I read about it this morning. George Perez is such an integral part of my comic book journey, like when I look back to the comics I loved as a kid Perez and Byrne are the two most influential artists that immediately come to mind. There are so many comic book characters I just immediately associate with Perez; the Titans, the JLA, Avengers, FF...and to this day nobody is as good at jamming so much detail into a page and still maintaining A+ composition, individual body shapes and body language, all that sort of stuff. I have often used his stuff as reference for drawing in the past, even when it comes to stuff like rubble which he makes look ridiculously easy. From all accounts he's also a really lovely guy and he obviously really loves and values his fans and isn't egotistical about his status in the industry....I really hope his last months are as comfortable as possible, and Marvel and DC had better reach out to him and his family to make some kind of gesture of gratitude because both of those companies owe so much to him!

Nightcrawler #1010370 12/08/21 08:26 AM
Active
Active
This is just such a sad bit of news. George is one of my all-time favourite comic artists of ALL time. Legion and others.
May God reach out out His mighty hand and help George in however way He can.

"All we are is dust in the wind..."

In the present
Nightcrawler #1010374 12/08/21 12:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Heartbraking, he means so much to comic book fans. He's demonstrating a truly admirable and inspirational response to his situation.

I hope he gets to do everything he wants to in the months ahead.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Nightcrawler #1010387 12/08/21 08:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yeah this is sad. His artwork has been wonderful for years. I thought his Wonder Woman reboot post-Crisis was terrific.

Even more impressive in some ways is how he has messaged the comic community and wants to share some of his precious remaining time with fans.

I hope he has some great time with his family.

Nightcrawler #1010391 12/08/21 09:17 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Yes he shared a very heartfelt response today.

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Gaseous Lad #1010410 12/09/21 10:44 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
Yes he shared a very heartfelt response today.

Originally Posted by George Perez via Facebook
Wow...simp[y wow. Words cannot adequately express how overwhelmed I am by the enormous number of comments expressing so much support and affection for me. I have yet to read all the thousands of lovely posts and photos from fans, friends and colleagues, some familiar friends, some friends of the spirit-- and all family. My one working eye is a little bleary right now (from strain and tears) so I hope I can get back in a day or two and provide a coherent response along with any updates I may have regarding my life's journey. Unyil yjrn, I will say one agin. Thank you. Thank you all. I am blessed beyond my worth and humbled by your favor.

Nightcrawler #1010424 12/09/21 04:24 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Such sad news, though what an incredibly inspiring response to the situation. Hopefully he'll make the most of his time and his family and friends will get the chance to make some good memories with him that'll help them as well. I dont really care for selfies but I really wish I could give him a hug.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Nightcrawler #1014814 05/07/22 12:42 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Well, he has passed on today. It still hurts, even though we knew it was coming. I was unable to keep the tears from flowing.

Rest in peace, George. We could learn a lot from all the grace, humility and love you've shown, both in your final days and throughout your life.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Nightcrawler #1014815 05/07/22 02:23 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Yeah, I saw this. It's very sad, yet he went out knowing he was loved and appreciated, which is an amazing gift. The comics community was at least able to show him how much he meant to us all. He's probably one of the first "names" that I got to know after Marv Wolfman and Denny O'Neil.

RIP George.

Nightcrawler #1014819 05/07/22 05:21 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer

Nightcrawler #1014825 05/08/22 04:34 AM
Active
Active
Such sad news about George .... I was a huge fan. Back when I was a kid and just starting to really get into comics I remember there being a handful of artists, maybe 4 or 5, that for me truly embodied the "essence" of that medium. George was one of that special group.

Nighty, thank you for the above link ... very touching, magical and melancholy. He will be missed for sure. Rest in peace George.

In the present
Nightcrawler #1014828 05/08/22 06:24 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I saw the news on Facebook as well/ A very sad day indeed/

Nightcrawler #1014829 05/08/22 06:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler

wonderful tribute Nighty, thank you!

Nightcrawler #1014833 05/08/22 07:10 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Echoing Ibby - this is a nice Legion tribute to Perez!

Nightcrawler #1014876 05/09/22 08:57 PM
C
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
C
A giant of the industry...if you wanted someone to draw thousands of characters perfectly in your comic book, there was no one else you'd even consider turning to. He will be greatly missed, and deservedly celebrated.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,192
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Arm Fall Off Boy
Arm Fall Off Boy
North Carolina
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star