Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/12/24 05:15 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 41 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 40 41
Re: Critic's Corner (post here about any fanart or fanfic)
#101024 03/31/07 10:58 AM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Rocky-- I loved your little story about the pup! It was so adorable.
Tamper-- You know the Colonel has my love. So hilarious.

Great work boys!! laugh

#101025 03/31/07 12:49 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
A big nod to Set for his expansive and delightful Emerald Legion.
Thanks! Glad it entertained someone other than its author. smile

It really was like an alternate universe, with so many interesting twists on familiar characters. The Rokk-Garth-Imra triangle was very believable.
I had a lot of fun playing up stuff that I don't recall seeing as much of in the comics, such as why these three teens left their home-worlds, despite (in Garth's case) a rural upbringing and strong family ties and (in Rokk's case) practical 'rock-star' status on Braal and (in Imra's case) a fairly self-focused race (telepaths being generally more comfortable among fellow telepaths, in most depictions).

Each needed a 'reason' to be leaving the nest, so I had some fun with that.

I had a good laugh over Lydda's re-imagined beehive - but it was pleasing to see her with a very strong character for a change.
Lydda came out of nowhere. The bit about Rokk mentioning that someone grabbed his ass in the dark was a completely random quip, and suddenly there was Jath, and they were married, and then Kathoon turned into 30th century Themiscrya! She just took over! She's kinda pushy that way...

Although he only had a short appearance, Orin Fex was one of my favorites. He was pretty snooty in the DnA series, and came across even better (or worse) in your story, with supporting comments from other gossipy diplomats.
The Winathian Ambassadors ended up being my version of Statler and Waldorf (or Crowe T. Robot and Tom Servo). Veanli Guampti, the triple-threat seductress from Cargg, was another favorite. I had a lot of fun with the background characters!

I always like to see backstories and explanations for the way things are, so it was very cool to have bits like the Venegarians with limited spectrum eyesight, not to mention the insights into the history of Braal, Winath and Titan.
I wanted that stuff to make sense, for my own purposes, and ended up having to cut a bunch of it out, because it was turning *way* too exposition-y. I hate exposition, it messes up the 'flow.'

If you like that sort of meta-stuff, there's more in my Author's Notes on my web-site.

Just one negative comment: I know it must have taken a long time to put all of Sarya's words in green, but I found it very hard to read against the blue background of my screen.
I'm a bit blue-green color-blind, so it's even more of a bother for me. Between my posts messing up the thread, and my own difficulties reading my posts, I ended up tossing it all on my web-site for my own convenience!

I *considered* making Imra's text pink, Rokk's purple and Garth's yellow, but green-i-fying Sarya's text was so much of a pain that I said 'sprock that.' I was going to strip out the green text, but left it in for the sake of the Emerald Exhibit theme. smile

Glad you liked the story Fat Cramer, thanks for the kind words!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#101026 04/01/07 11:30 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ha ha ha
Ventura was/is priceless.

Y'know, considering some of the traditional LMB hijinks it might be advisable to start a "bail-money" fund at the Security Office.
Scotty needs his sleep...and I've always gotten the feeling Gary would say, "Call me after they sleep it off!"

I really like the short pieces spread out between the lengthier stories. It reminds me of the real 80 Page Giants. Perhaps a "reprint" from the classic LMB days ought to be inserted somewhere?

Hhmmmm, maybe next year a LMBP Secret Files and Origins might be in order?

#101027 04/02/07 12:22 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
Thanks for the kind words, FC. This has been a lot of fun so far.

I'm enjoying everyone's contributions also. There is so much talent around here!

FC raises a good point, though. Invasion, Omnia and now this have all added quite a bit to LMB history in a fairly short time. Perhaps the History of the LMB thread needs to be updated (hint, hint, Cobie wink ).
That's like the fourth request for that in the last few weeks Rocky laugh

Perhaps its time to revisit? I'll let my current onevision finish (its 90% written at this point) and maybe switch gears there. I like doing different stuff so it'll be a good shift.

Honestly, from Invasion to Omnia to the Onevisions and short stories, there has been a tremendous amount of LMB-related stuff happening! We may have hit our Levitz era! laugh

This time though, I'll be demanding help. First up will be LMB: Infinite Crisis eek

#101028 04/02/07 07:58 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
EDE's story (so far) about Brainy recreating the lost eyes of Ekron shows the green kid at his best i.e. the polymath Brainy.

The concept of distant simultaneity isn't one that I've personally worried about, but it did make me think about the absence of different time zones in Legion stories. No matter which planet they contact, nobody has ever said "It's 3 a.m. here! You got me out of bed!" Which would be an entirely different story....

Originally posted by Lard Lad:
When you read "Nothing Sacred!", well....it's differnet...from the other two! laugh
Indeed! very, uh, Chaucerian. Still, I liked the gender surprises.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#101029 04/02/07 11:33 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
[b]When you read "Nothing Sacred!", well....it's differnet...from the other two! laugh
Indeed! very, uh, Chaucerian. Still, I liked the gender surprises. [/b]
Looks like you were searching for something flattering to say about it, FC! laugh

Actually, it's not meant to be taken seriously. When I conceived it, I thought "Nothing Sacred!" would be the kind of iconic story that would show Lardy and Cobie at the height of their debaucherous period. There's actually been very little written down, mostly just vague references and entendres. So here's something that people can refer to and say, "man, they sure were sleazeballs!"

But they've come a long way, both now being in committed, monogamous relationships. And really, it would've never worked for me if I didn't come up with the twist you mentioned, something to turn it back on them--even though Lardy apparently was unfazed!

I also tried to show that the two weren't exactly alike, even back then. Notice Cobalt has reservations while Lardy has absolutely NONE. If you've ever read "Turning Point", FC, you'll see how Lardy's romantic views were shaped.

Links, if you haven't: part one and part two

I'm very proud of this story!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#101030 04/03/07 04:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just looking for a different kind of compliment, Lardy. Chaucer was pretty bawdy - and a great storyteller, if you can get past the language. I wonder what he would have done with Profem or the Grandin Gender Reversal Germ - but it would certainly have involved nuns and a couple of guys running like mad.

I really liked Set's fill-in-the-background on the Tromian massacre of Daxam because it explains the genocide without making the Tromians into total evildoers - and also explains their current highly-spiritual orientation. It gives Jan more of an edge than he has had in the series so far, which is good.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#101031 04/03/07 05:50 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I really liked Set's fill-in-the-background on the Tromian massacre of Daxam because it explains the genocide without making the Tromians into total evildoers - and also explains their current highly-spiritual orientation. It gives Jan more of an edge than he has had in the series so far, which is good.
Thanks again! I definitely wanted to see more of that, and I imagine that WaK won't have time to do anything with it, given their imminent departure.

I really felt like that was something that just *had* to be dealt with, and Mon-El's being snatched away before it got dealt with felt like I was robbed. (Then again, issue 1 mentioned off-handedly that Daxam was against the Legion movement, and Sun Boy mentioned having to do something about that, so it seems that in the WaK-era, *someone* is living on Daxam...)

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#101032 04/04/07 01:35 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm trying to throw together a Blackout/Tasmia Mallor piece for the 80 pg giant and also trying to wrap my brain around a versus piece for this month. I hope to have one of those plotted out well enough to write it next week.

I for one am really looking forward to the text pieces and more art for this one.

btw,Drake I remember that from your proposed cover(s). Your work is just beautiful. Thanks for reposting that.

#101033 04/05/07 01:12 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Hmm... I find the basic premise of Lash's new story to be quite implausible. I mean... how could me and him going to karaoke possibly lead to any kind of trouble? wink

#101034 04/05/07 03:39 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Man, I totally would have gone to karaoke if Space Model wasn't on!

#101035 04/05/07 03:41 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Oh grife! It's not a Space Model marathon is it? Teeds! What should we snack on?

#101036 04/05/07 11:16 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, I finished my latest onevision. I must warn though, about midway through I felt tremendous writers block and only was able to finish with some private encouragement. While I'm satisfied with it, I think the middle kind of lags, so I don't love it as much as 'Spear'.

Now onwards to check out this thread Lash has started...

#101037 04/05/07 11:17 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
...and its hysterical already! More Lash! We need more! laugh

#101038 04/05/07 11:23 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Sketch Lad:
Oh grife! It's not a Space Model marathon is it? Teeds! What should we snack on?
Given the subject of the story, I really hope the answer isn't "brains".

#101039 04/06/07 04:42 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Cobie, I'm reading you backwards, with the Horn of Undoing before Psionic Spear. I particularly liked the scene with Cobalt and Princess Tarnia on Grrgg - a nice reflective bit amid all the frantic action. It was also interesting to justify the LMB as home defenders rather than participants in the war. So far, at least.... smile

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#101040 04/06/07 09:29 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Thanks FC! Hope you enjoy them! Like I said, I think Psionic Spear is up there as possibly being my finest work yet, but I do think there are some nice moments in 'Horn'. I definately wanted to make it have more action, probably because subconsciously I feel there is such a lack of it in comics today.

#101041 04/10/07 03:18 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Great stuff so far Lash!!!

#101042 04/10/07 01:36 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks for the comments gang! I'll try to keep it fun, then really gross. Then fun again!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#101043 04/11/07 11:27 AM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
I really enjoyed Cobie's two recent stories. Of course I always like it when another writer uses Rockhopper Lad, but I especially like how Cobie writes him, showing the strong sense of duty I try to show when I write him.

I especially liked the part when Actor Lad mumbles about the "old guard" and Rocky smiling at the comment.

Great stuff!

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#101044 04/17/07 08:58 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Thanks for the kind comments Rocky!

You know, Rockhopper Lad and Kid Marvel have been two of my favorite LMBers to write. Both featured somewhat prominently in both of my recent onevisions, and as leader and deputy leader were kind of like the 'must have' members of the roster to use. I think I've really kind of found the rhythm of both characters. I definately see Rockhopper Lad as a natural leader that is able to garner some important insight when things get 'murky'. I see Kid Marvel as brash and courageous but controlled by wisdom of Solomon. Ever since I started writing Kid Marvel in Omnia and now both prominently in these last two, I've enjoyed the characters, which is important to me, since I feel that if I focus too much on Cobalt Kid and the characters I invented that the stories lose a little bit of credibility (despite the catch 22 being that those are characters I can truly do some large changes to). It definately makes it a more enjoyable writing experience.

Similarly, I enjoy writing Actor Lad and Kent for the same reason, though I admit putting more of an effort into staying true to the characters. I particulurly like the notion that Actor Lad and Reboot don't always agree with Cobalt Kid when they're all 'in character', because I generally like to show that Cobalt Kid does things 'his' way, whether others feel its right or wrong.

Again, I'm thrilled you read and enjoyed the stories!

#101045 05/31/07 01:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
More rockin' J-Boy designs on the LMBP stuff thread... check 'em out.

What are you waiting for?

Shoo!

smile

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#101046 05/31/07 01:51 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Crujectra of Psyonia:
More rockin' J-Boy designs on the LMBP stuff thread... check 'em out.

What are you waiting for?

Shoo!

smile
Lol...thanks smile soon as Photobucket decides to cooperate with me again Ill upload more

Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.
#101047 06/02/07 05:15 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Very clever designs, Joeboy! Do you have to think about a character or does the costume just pop into your mind?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#101048 06/11/07 01:03 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Very clever designs, Joeboy! Do you have to think about a character or does the costume just pop into your mind?
Uhm...they USUALLY just pop into my head but some take a bit of work...such as "Boaz Yakkin", who I had no idea of before I did a google search and found out that he's some hollywood producer guy, which I could find no costume ideas for. So I went with the Yazz, possibly the crappiest Justice League member next to Vibe.

Ill add notes at some point when Im bored smile

Remember : It's not technically a suckerpunch if you yell ''DEFEND YOURSELF SPROCKER!'' two seconds before you let him have it.
Page 18 of 41 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,253
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
AndrewNolan
AndrewNolan
Pennsylvania
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star