Roll Call
1 members (Nightcrawler), 51 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Nightcrawler - 05/15/24 07:48 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:24 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:12 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:02 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/15/24 05:45 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Re: What I found today at my LCS!
rickshaw1 #1000316 03/28/21 04:35 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I've only read Hal Jordan when he was a) quitting b) whining c) a combination of a and b. This would seem to be more of that.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #1000320 03/28/21 05:35 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
No, more of a sending off into the void with no reason to come back as other than another lost GL. Basically, clearing the way for the new GL writer to do his thing, and his thing hates Hal, so he won't use him.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1003566 06/13/21 10:41 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Been mostly getting old silver age batman, iron man and justice league lately. Very little new stuff and of course, no new legion.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1004319 07/04/21 04:50 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Been disappointing lately. No new legion, no old legion I haven't ever had. Very little new stuff from DC I wanna read. Just kinda blah lately. I think my favorite form of entertainment and my favorite hobby may be leaving me behind.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1004320 07/04/21 04:54 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
You have to know where to look for it. E-Bay is your friend.

Watching television is not an activity.
rickshaw1 #1005089 07/25/21 03:29 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Thanks Mal, but that violates my "Rules of Acquirement". Has to be from a brick and mortar store, or a "find" like at a salvage shop, flea market, etc. That's what makes it fun to me. The hunt. Seeking, finding, dealing, reading. Granted, most come from my lcs, but I've found several things at second hand stores, regular used book stores, and flea markets.

So, yesterday's score...

DC Comics Presents #2, the second half of the inaugural story with Supes and Flash. Had it decades ago, but it died on me and got thrown away.

DC Comics Presents #9, Supes and Wondy. Staton and Abel on art with story by Pasko. Kinda flimsy story, honestly, but still fun too. Staton and Abel did their usual stellar work. Still like JLGL's wondy the best. But, there you go.

Nightwing #82 , the mystery of Melinda Borrrriiiiingggggg.

Blue and Gold #1, Missing the spark of hi damn larity, but not bad. Didn't know Ted was back, again, but there you go.

Justice League #65. Ummm, read it a couple hours ago. No idea what the story was. Gonna drop this unless it gets better, FAST!

Teen Titans Academy Annual. The "meh" is strong with this one.

Chaza....Um, Shazam 1, of 4. Billy is older, angry, confused...typical teenager losing superpowers. >Le Sigh<

Flash #772, not bad. Picked Flash up again when Wally came back. Huge silver and Bronze age Barry fan, but he shouldn't have come back. It diluted his story way to much to me. Wally getting back down to being Wally, a flash and a dad. This is the Wally I liked so much.

Well, that's it. My lcs has some new stuff that's older I'd like, but at ten bucks a pop, outta my price range.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1005195 07/28/21 04:03 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks Mal, but that violates my "Rules of Acquirement". Has to be from a brick and mortar store, or a "find" like at a salvage shop, flea market, etc. That's what makes it fun to me. The hunt. Seeking, finding, dealing, reading. Granted, most come from my lcs, but I've found several things at second hand stores, regular used book stores, and flea markets.

Nothing beats the feeling of spotting a storage box of comics in a rummage shop...

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #1005204 07/28/21 05:28 PM
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
I get all of that. All things being equal, I prefer seeking out the back issues to fill out my collection at brick and mortar stores and conventions, too. But unfortunately, with most conventions right now being virtual, and my LCS having a limited supply of back issue bins, I've been utilizing E-Bay and mycomicshop.com more often over the past year and a half.

Watching television is not an activity.
rickshaw1 #1010056 11/28/21 06:59 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well, no new legion, natch, but most of my money this week went to some bags and a couple of long boxs for storing books.

Anyone else?

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1010070 11/29/21 07:53 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Sorry, Rick, haven't gotten anything for over a month. A couple of bargain-bin issues of Quasar, that's been it for me. One of them was guest-pencilled by the late Wanderers artist Dave Hoover, for a Legion connection.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
rickshaw1 #1011194 01/08/22 02:48 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well, the change has come. Sam is sixteen now and has a driver's license, so no mo runnin' mah little buddy around. So, I actually had a few minutes to look today. Not much, though.

Legion related:

Karate Kid #14
Legion of Super Heroes # 47, Finally face to face with stargfanger...bud'et whut kost?

bunch of detroit era Justice League.
Brave and Bold #156 with one of my favorite characters, the original Dr. Fate.

And finally, One-Star Sqiadron #'s 1 and 2 of 6.

Not a great haul, but better than nothing. I had a few more boxes to look through, but some guy had camped out at them, I was tired and out of personal go go juice, so I left.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1011195 01/08/22 03:13 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Better haul then coming up empty. Worst is finding something really great but the price screams, "Why are you not wearing archival gloves?". Hate when someone gloms onto a section and rudely does not allow others access. Plus this ain't a library so mostly those are readers not buyers. Thank you for supporting your LCS!!!! So many have closed in my area. I blame greedy landlords and evilBay (yes I am guilty of shopping there too)! And it's not just LCSs but many family local owned businesses. And the pandemic didn't help.

Also I am in the middle of finally bagging and boarding about nine long boxes of comics when my husband just found his and his brother's "stash"! Well I have to go back for more boxes, bags and boards. At least it will get me a chance to visit my friends, Eric (shown a sketch cover he did for me on the forum) and Amy. They own Counterplay Comics, Collectibles & Cosplay in Burlington, MA.

Last edited by Jfposey; 01/08/22 03:21 PM.
rickshaw1 #1011199 01/08/22 05:09 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Yeah, they had some books I would have liked to get, but they were in the $20 price range, and that's a bit outside my reach. Great finds, but.... However, I don't begrudge them at all. If they can sell at that price and it keeps them open, I'm happy about it.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1011218 01/09/22 04:53 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Rick, J-Pop, you both are bringing back some wonderful memories of mine, of hanging out at comics shops, looking through the back issue bins... long live the small local comics shops!

big milestone for Sam, rick. he's growing up fast! I'm sure you two will still have a lot of quality time.

J-Pop, best wishes on the packing!

rickshaw1 #1011404 01/15/22 04:52 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
Well, the change has come. Sam is sixteen now and has a driver's license, so no mo runnin' mah little buddy around. So, I actually had a few minutes to look today.

How's he taking to being given your wants list and drivign himself to all the stores to look for you? I mean, surely that's what you've been training him for, all these years?

Karate Kid #14

Legion Worlders all put on their sequined Shirley Bassey frocks for a rendition of ..Diamondeths Are Forever!

Finally face to face with stargfanger...bud'et whut kost?

smile About 20 credits was the cost, and that was due to Strafinger's shoulder pads damaging doorwys on the way through.

bunch of detroit era Justice League.

Reduced in my LCS from ?120 quid to a little below ?100 the last I looked. I could only look. It's not as though you can lift it from the shelf without super strength. You could have picked up the originals for relative buttons.

Not a great haul, but better than nothing. I had a few more boxes to look through, but some guy had camped out at them, I was tired and out of personal go go juice, so I left.

Anyone with a brain cell knows their time is limited, and that they can swap boxes. If not, it's a polite but firm excuse me, or a you don't mind if I take a quick look at... That doesn't escalate further. We're both likely to have read comics with Darkseid in, and no one wants it to escalate into those sorts of stares.

rickshaw1 #1011422 01/15/22 06:20 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Hehheheheh. Pretty good, Thoth.

Well, today's haul was pretty decent.

Found at Ollie's Discount:

Clive Cussler and Robin Burcell's The Oracle. A Sam and Remi Fargo Adventure. I know, not comics, but still.
My real treats:

Rann-Thanagar War TPB. $2.99.
JSA: Princes of Darkness TPB. $3.99
JSA: Mixed Signals TPB. $2.99
Green Lantern Volume 1 Sinestro TPB. $2.99

At my LCS:

Steve Englehart and Marshall Roger's Mister Miracle #19. Love me some Barda.
Titans United #5.
Justice League Vs. The Legion of Super-Heroes. 1

Well, time to dig in and have some fun.

Last edited by rickshaw1; 01/15/22 06:21 PM. Reason: Clarity

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1011461 01/16/22 05:08 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I ordered some UK based comics for my boithday. I ordered them a while ago, but it would have felt wrong posting them before the day. smile

One I didn't know about was a book containing more reprints of UK comics from the 60s/70s.

Quote=Rick]Steve Englehart and Marshall Roger's Mister Miracle #19. Love me some Barda.[/quote]

I read that one not that long ago!

Have fun with the others. Always good to get them in a sale.

rickshaw1 #1011690 01/23/22 01:06 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Rummaging through the dollar bins at the local comic shop, I found issues 35-70-ish of the 'reboot' Legion and picked them up to read.

Amusingly, they read at first just like Bendis, because the team was getting split up and teleported around by Mysa or Mordru or whomever at the beginning of some arc, and forever just sort of reacting to stuff happening to them, rather than actually doing anything proactive or heroic feeling. But that faded and it got better.

Gosh, I'm glad I didn't get to read these books when they came out (cause we didn't have a comics store in the podunk mountain town I was in, and they'd gone direct market and no longer sold comics in convenience stores and supermarkets). I would have hated Lori Morning with a fiery passion, back in the day. smile Now, she's just, 'meh.' One of those annoying kid characters who gets to pull the lever that shouldn't be pulled or push the button that all the sensible people know not to push to put the plot in fast-forward (without making any of the protagonists look like idiots). The design for her Fireball persona was aces, and I wouldn't have minded see more of that one, in particular.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
rickshaw1 #1011692 01/23/22 04:24 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Now we know where Bendis' true inspiration for his Leiogn version is from smile

>notstalgic sigh at rummage for cheap comics<

Set #1011720 01/24/22 05:27 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Set
Rummaging through the dollar bins at the local comic shop, I found issues 35-70-ish of the 'reboot' Legion and picked them up to read.

Amusingly, they read at first just like Bendis, because the team was getting split up and teleported around by Mysa or Mordru or whomever at the beginning of some arc, and forever just sort of reacting to stuff happening to them, rather than actually doing anything proactive or heroic feeling. But that faded and it got better.

Gosh, I'm glad I didn't get to read these books when they came out (cause we didn't have a comics store in the podunk mountain town I was in, and they'd gone direct market and no longer sold comics in convenience stores and supermarkets). I would have hated Lori Morning with a fiery passion, back in the day. smile Now, she's just, 'meh.' One of those annoying kid characters who gets to pull the lever that shouldn't be pulled or push the button that all the sensible people know not to push to put the plot in fast-forward (without making any of the protagonists look like idiots). The design for her Fireball persona was aces, and I wouldn't have minded see more of that one, in particular.

Knowing what ultimately happens to Lori Morning (joins Workforce, loses H-Dial) makes it easier to stomach some of her worse earlier moments wink

Invisible Brainiac #1011730 01/24/22 01:00 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Knowing what ultimately happens to Lori Morning (joins Workforce, loses H-Dial) makes it easier to stomach some of her worse earlier moments wink

Yeah, I recognize the narrative use of such a character, to advance the plot by doing foolish, impulsive things that you don't want to put on your more likable protagonists, so that the only 'idiot ball' they end up holding is 'why do we hang out with this person?' smile If Lori Morning wasn't there, given the writers desire to have stupid choices propel the team into danger half the time, they'd have to make an actual tolerable character do these stupid things, and that would be even more annoying (particularly for fans of that character) than to have someone like Lori do it.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
rickshaw1 #1011736 01/24/22 02:13 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
very excellent point! better than ruining a Legionnaire tongue

rickshaw1 #1012412 02/21/22 12:44 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thor Annual 13. Thor vs Mephisto. Cover by Walter Simonson. Interior pencils & inks by John Buscema, co-creator of Mephisto. Decent, readable condition. Reasonable price. Happy Fickles.

rickshaw1 #1012524 02/26/22 04:02 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Purchased today>>>

Justice League 72. I don't know, something else ramming Black Adam down our throat. Canary looked hot though.
Titans academy 12. I get why it's ending. Just flat out looooooong and boooooo ring.
Blue and Gold 6. Not bad. Not great, but not bad.

And the best.

Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes 213. Ubbie gets NUTZ. Had it before, but it wore out. Grell-y goodness.
Legion of Super-Heroes Annual 1. Who Shot Laurel Kent? Just mentioned this on another thread, but shidgizz...who do'od it?

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1012527 02/26/22 07:07 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Purchased today>>>

Justice League 72. I don't know, something else ramming Black Adam down our throat. Canary looked hot though.

That's our Emanuela! She draws the best women of any current artist, in my opinion.

Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,335
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires