Roll Call
0 members (), 32 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 41 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 40 41
Re: Critic's Corner (post here about any fanart or fanfic)
#101299 05/24/11 09:42 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Ex, your compliments hit on the number one goal I shoot for with my characters, which is to make them as believable, as well-rounded....as REAL as I can make them be. So you've paid me the highest possible compliment you possibly could have! Thanks so much, for the kind words! hug

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#101300 05/24/11 10:03 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I should also mention that I've written with and collaborated with Cobie for many years now, and Ex absolutely nailed what an astonishing vision Cobie has for big picture-type things! It's true that he studied history in college, but I doubt that even that can account for the sheer imagination he puts into these! He's extremely talented, and I think that extends to his character work, too.

Dev, I've been working with and reading his stuff for a pretty short time, but Ex is right...you can really "see" what's happening in his writing in a big way. I'm so glad that Dev is in our creative "think tank", now! I'm a big fan of his!

In fact everyone who has contributed so far has just hit it out of the park. I'd be hard-pressed to find the weakest link! Some have written more than others, but I'm grateful for what they've done and hopeful that there will be much more to come! nod

Truthfully, I'm much more interested in reading stories set in the LMBverse than any fanfic about the Legion or other properties. The LMB is 'ours", so it feels like each and every story 'matters' if that makes sense. I'm not knocking anyone who chooses to write the other non-LMB fanfic--hell, my first ONEVISION was LSH-related, as well. Everyone should write about whatever really moves them. For me, that's the LMBverse, and I'll write the heck out of it and read whoever else's stuff who wants to write about it!

#101301 05/27/11 09:41 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Ex & Lardy, I really appreciate the compliments. I really try to inject a 'world-building' mentality into my LMB stories and so those kind words mean a lot! I was a history major in college and got a Master's in history too (focus in Roman History and the Middle Ages among other things) but I've done a tremendous amount of research on my own in the years since on culture, religion, military, etc. My economic background which stems from my profession has added another layer to how I view 'world building'.

I'm quite a fan of your work too, Ex! I really love the unique and fun style you write in, which has a way of drawing me right in.

And I'll echo your compliments of Lardy as well. I think Lard Lad is the most fully realized character in LMB lore and Lardy injects that same type of character sensibility into all of the characters he writes. Like he said, we've collaborated for a number of years now and I like how our strengths play off one another and our two different writing styles mesh. He has a way of bringing things back down to character so seamlessly (well it reads seamlessly to me though I know he works hard at it).

I also am enjoying Dev's contributions immensely. You guys are right about the 'sense of movement' in his posts. I kind of see a similarity between Dev's writing and all the really great comics of the 80's--particularly the artists. Dev has a way writing a scene that reads like Perez, Layton, Giffen, etc., were drawing it, if that makes sense.

For my own writing I know one of my tendencies is to embrace the complexity of a scenario. Even though I realize if I had an editor they'd be telling me to tone it down, I purposely indulge myself in keeping things complex because that's how I know these types of things would be.

I've also over the years grown into writing Cobalt Kid as somewhat not easy to relate to or understand, and kind of stoic and distant. It fits into how I see him and the type of tension and mystery I've built for him; sometimes though it creates less character time for Cobie (something I hope to change as we get deeper into the Novella). Sometimes he says and does things and I don't actually write why he did that, just leaving it implied or open to interpretation. In contrast, I'm able to delve deeper into Lolita's personality much easier.

And yeah, like Lardy, I'm more of a reader of LMB-related stories than regular fan-fiction.

#101302 05/28/11 07:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Okay, I'm totally blushing now. I keep reading all of your kind words (and what you said does make sense to me Cobie), and I keep thinking you're all reading more into it than is there. I did go back and read some of the stuff I have written, and can see what you are referring to. The funny thing is, I havenever realized that I was doing that...it's an unconscious thing with how I write. Which makes me feel better on a certain level, because that means I cannot really screw it up at this point.

I agree with something Lardy says...everyone has strengths in their writing here. Some of the imagination that goesinto the work that Ex just finished is amazing to me. Tempest has a great big imagination as well. Cobie, you do have such a grasp of the structure of our shared universe it boggles my mind.

Lardy has a rich history to draw off us with all of his characters, I am envious of that as well, and am trying to give my characters a sense of history (in Lons case) and establishing a big arc (for Dev) to give them more depth.

I have been nblessed to work with Faraway on this endeavor (at least half of what I am doing) and am blown away by what he comes up with.

Overall, we have some of the best fan writers around here on LW. Maybe that's because we play by our own rules...

...and I know that I didn't nmention everyone, but rest assured that Power Boy, Emily, Abin and everyone else do things that I find really awesome as well.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#101303 05/29/11 10:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Big thanks to Lardy for his help with that last post in the Novella.

#101304 06/04/11 11:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Guys could you give some feedback to Candle? She was nice enough to do these micros for me.

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001220

#101305 06/08/11 09:54 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I am grateful to Candlelight for her tireless effort in helping me create cards. And with this post I return from my hiatus in China. I think Legion World needs more Asian cities now. I'm also in the mood for fourth-wall breaking so if Abin or anybody needs me let me know.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#101306 06/09/11 08:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Stellar entries to the Novella by Sharky and Abin today.

#101307 06/11/11 09:00 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This line: <span class="spoiler_containter"><span class="spoiler_wording">Click Here For A Spoiler</span><span class="spoiler_text">"Let me go! You imbecile!” Sebastian struggled trying to pull his hand free from Sam's grip.</span></span>

Is just perfect for this character's personality. He has a lot of insults and taunts in his vocabulary. There is so many unintential shades of Seto Kaiba in his character.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
#101308 06/13/11 04:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
MIght I just say... "The Lord of the Oval" is a thing of beauty...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#101309 06/17/11 01:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I need help with regards to shipping (romance). I enjoy writing these type of stories, and it goes hand and hand with the universal theme of love (Power of Love) that guides alot of my writing. Namely, what to do with my two characters. Sebastian was created because I needed someone for Emily to ship with, given the majority of the established characters are much older than she is. I quickly realized they have very similar personalities, and Sebastian ended any tension with a "like brother and sister" line during the recent civil war. However, I wonder if other characters perceive them as a couple? Do you, the audience, perceive them as a couple?

Do you think they would be better off with others? If so, what sort of relationships would you like to see? (Examples: Arranged Marriage, Clingy Jealous Girl, Beast and Beauty) Do you think Sebastian is best as a loner due to the nature of his powers, cultivating friendships instead? (I am starting to lean towards this one for sake of both my own and the character's sanity)

#101310 06/17/11 03:08 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Personally, I think Emily should have an affair with Cobalt Kid! I mean, he's younger than most of our characters and stuff... nod

And, I dunno, it seemed like Sebby and Sam Pureheart have something kinda goin' on, as well. And, well, they can touch, too... shrug

#101311 06/17/11 05:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
How old is Cobie in the LMB Universe? Cause Lon is around the mid twenties...being about 15 years or so younger than Dev. Dev being around 40ish.

#101312 06/17/11 06:35 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Real life Cobie turns 30 in July. I dunno if LMBverse Cobie might be little younger or not. LMB Lardy is in his early-to-mid thirties (maybe 35?), while real-life Lardy is 41. (LMBverse Lardy is taller than real-life Lardy, too! tongue )

#101313 06/17/11 06:52 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
This might be a good time to plug the LMB Wiki . Some folks have opted to include a character's birth year in the article, including the articles for Cobalt Kid (2982) and Rockhopper Lad (2979). That's totally optional, of course, but if you would like that particular bit of information "settled" for your character, that's a good place to do it. laugh

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#101314 06/17/11 07:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Real life Cobie turns 30 in July. I dunno if LMBverse Cobie might be little younger or not. LMB Lardy is in his early-to-mid thirties (maybe 35?), while real-life Lardy is 41. (LMBverse Lardy is taller than real-life Lardy, too! tongue )
Yeah, and the LMB Dev is a little younger than I am...and definately not as fat.

#101315 06/17/11 08:37 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I'm short (barely 5'7"), so I figure my fantasy self has a right to be taller! I've got 'im right at about 6 feet tall! laugh

#101316 06/17/11 08:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Dev's height was/is always variable due to the Durlan aspect of his powers, but I figure him at around 6'6" at this point (with those in check.)

Lon is probably around 6' give or take an inch, with Furball being well over 7'.

#101317 06/17/11 10:20 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Cobalt is a year younger than I am in real life, so he's just on the verge of 29 now. He's been am LMBer since he was 17.

He's of course incredibly handsome and dashing looking. More rugged than a pretty boy (moreso now than his youth). He's 6'2, about an inch taller than I am in real life. Naturally he's carved out of stone with a muscular build. laugh

I imagine him with eccentric tastes in minor things. Like he loves pears, apples and other fruit but hates dessert food. Maybe he loves nectarines above all others and that's a quick way to please him. Cobie drinks scotch and gin now but not many non-alcoholic drinks besides coffee and water.

I like little things like that, like Stonewall Jackson loving to chew on lemons (which isn't actually true).

#101318 06/17/11 11:11 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Rocky is ten years younger than I, though I've never explicitly stated how long Pyngwyny live. When he first appeared on LW, he was in his mid-twenties, while I was in my mid-thirties.

He's no taller than I am (5'8"), but he's slim and wiry, a build I've always wished for.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#101319 06/18/11 07:54 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Personally, I think Emily should have an affair with Cobalt Kid! I mean, he's younger than most of our characters and stuff... nod

And, I dunno, it seemed like Sebby and Sam Pureheart have something kinda goin' on, as well. And, well, they can touch, too... shrug
He would fit right in with the Sivana family, that's for sure. Uncle Lex would welcome him in warmly. A family that Slays Together wouldn't care about a ten year age difference.

Sebby/Sam (Samby?) is possible too, would really create the beginning of a Love Dodecahedron. If the interest is there and Abin's okay with it, I would write it.

What do the rest of you (my collaborators and audience) think?

#101320 06/18/11 08:46 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
That could be a fun and interesting romance to pursue after the Novella! (Cobie / Emily).

It would certainly be complicated!

#101321 06/18/11 11:14 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Sebbie & Sam? That could get wild. I wonder which one EDG would shoot first?

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#101322 06/18/11 01:28 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
For Cobie/Emily my imagination is running wild! Crazy Fawcett City, with tons of crazier relatives. In Sivana family meetings, which are held in the style of the Howards in The Boleyn Girl.

Sebbie/Sam would be fun simply cause they are complete opposities. We have realism vs. surrealism, introvert vs. extrovert, blond vs. brown hair, Smart Guy vs. Bruiser, to make a short list.

Abin: EDG should shoot Sebbie first if she knows what's best for her.

#101323 08/20/11 11:31 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Updated my website again, to add Blood Ties (retitled 'Beautiful Woman'), the Tryouts of Warhawk and the Composite Supergirl, and Brave & the Bold 3000 (the team up of Hate-Face and Leeta 87).

My last fanfic excursion was something to do with introducing Zoe Saugin to the classic continuity, but it turned into a book, and I'm attacking it with a weed-whacker, trying to trim it down to a novella...

And yeah, I still have to get around to writing up some *male* characters, some day, and focus a little less on Belladonna, Saucy Jones, Krypton Girl, the Composite Supergirl and Laser Ape.

Maybe a new Super-Companion fic idea will come to mind... They're manly men. Mostly. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Page 29 of 41 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 40 41

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Neemers
Neemers
Oregon
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star