Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Jfposey - 05/07/24 05:19 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 04:22 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Reboot Reread - Sundown/Trouble on Titan
Gaseous Lad #1017673 08/14/22 06:55 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
LSH 81 -

Really cool cover, just off the bat. smile

I liked returning to Dirk's situation from almost a year prior. And instantly I'm feeling bad for him, being kept a virtual prisoner since the events of the earlier Dr. Regulus battle.

I very much enjoyed the oil/water mix of Brainy and Zoe's interaction. She's trying to play it light and make a joke (totally in character) and he can't be bothered with all this pedantic BS and just wants to be left alone, yet has a gaggle of other Legionnaire problems to deal with. His frustration is palpable, but entertaining to me.

Despite his penchant for making problems, I've liked Thom Kallor from day 1, as his heart is in the right place, but he always seems to make things go sideways. Gim calling Thom a goon is a very memorable frame, as is Chuck's reaction to the facade. The characters are made to suffer over relatively minor things, but I found it entertaining.

The one page I wasn't fond of was that of the founders heading to Titan. Both the situation of Imra seemingly looking for a fight and Rokk's desire for Imra soured me here.

I also very much enjoyed the cafeteria scene. The interplay between Kinetix, Gates and the secret admirer reveal were fun. The "If there's no one there, it's Norg" line was something that came from the UseNet fandom at the time - one of the users was a big Lyle fan and that phrase came up a lot, so the creators, who did a regular AOL live chat at the time, snuck it into the book.

Of course, this reveals the secret admirer to be Lyle, from everyone's perception except Cham, who is obviously the actual admirer. This made me wonder - Cham is by nature sneaky - why couldn't he have turned into some kind of a critter and done the deed? I get why Cham was pissed, but c'mon.

Gim leading the team to a Xanthu mission kind of comes out of nowhere, but mainly acts as a means to get Gim out of the way for Kinetix to take command. Again the oil/water dynamic here, with Zoe bargins in with comedic effect - Page 14 definitely had a sitcom dynamic feel to it.

That leads us to the big confrontation and meat to the story - the Legion vs Dirk, all motivated because Dirk wants to spend time with his father. While Jan gets temporarily blinded, Jenni bringing back a specially polarized transsuit makes everything better.

Overall, I really enjoyed this issue quite a bit - the Zoe/Brainy dynamic very much worked for me to keep me interested in the story. He does have a point that the entire team is over-reliant on him, but I do think that he overplayed his drama hand, even with Zoe's tone deafness. Of course, it was probably a huge mistake of Gim to leave Zoe in charge anyway!

The Art wasn't too bad. Even though the Moder characters all look a bit too skinny, I'll deal. smile

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Gaseous Lad #1017676 08/14/22 09:43 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Legionnaires 38

I'm happy to be back with Jeff Moy art, and a fun dream sequence of Garth's - the obvious question is whether Imra caught any of Garth's dream, and it seems that she did, and we get to see that in context of a nice "catch-up" vignette before we get re-introduced to Aven, one of my favorite supporting cast members.

Then we get to meet Imra's parents, as I remember it, they are named after fans who were active at the cons and on Usenet. I'm sure they are/were members here at some point. Sydne's memory sharing is a perfect "parent meeting moment" for any teen/young adult. Garth's reaction is classic, but of course Rokk is all business. When he gets back, we get more of a storyline catch-up, with the interesting tidbit that Vi convinced Brainy to stay with the Legion after threatening to quit in LSH 81!

And funnily enough - reading this now makes Titanian telepath society seem like the Jedi and their padawans, years before that was introduced.

Speaking of introductions, Dr. Gym'll arrives on Triad Orange's behalf, not telling anyone else. It's kind of a S***show, in other words.

On Titan, the founders go to a Magnoball game between the Braalian and Titanian Magnoball teams, where Rokk gets to show off. (An aside here, but doesn't it seem like all Braalians would naturally have an advantage here??) In an interesting twist on the Romeo/Juliet trope, the Titan and Braalian ambassadors are secret lovers based on the private dialogue we are privy to during the game. But Cos wows the crowd. (Also, apparently the people in the crowd on page 13 are Legion fans who Jeff Moy took pictures of and included in the frame. )

A bomb detonates, looking back, reminiscent of the bombing in The Dark Knight Rises, injuring both representatives. In the aftermath, I felt like the Jancel interaction was going to pay off somewhere in the future, but it never did, which is a shame as I thought it was a nice beat.

But the rest follows pretty predictably - Imra psychally discovers the truth about the two representatives and encourages the Braalian representative to live, but with the side benefit of a hint of foreshadowing for Imra. I think it's great that they focused on a same-sex relationship in this comic (especially the more "kid oriented" one of the two), but it highlighted THEN and even more so thirty years later that this team had absolutely no LGBTQ representation, which was kind of sad given Ayla/Vi in 5YL and the recent reveal of Ayla's secret admirer (which also, in the end, went nowhere). No one has spoken of this even all this time later, but I'm pretty convinces that editorial nixed anything around non-traditional relationships, especially after things we've heard around DC leadership the last couple decades.

And Vi wins the election! At this moment in the original read, I was happy, as my favorite character was getting put in the spotlight, but the warning flares went up, as it would not be typical for this to happen to that kind of person so fast. But we'll get to all that. smile

Along with LSH 81, another great setup issue for a bunch of things down the line, some sooner, some later. But well told regardless.

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Gaseous Lad #1017688 08/15/22 02:02 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
re LSH 81,

I ponder sometimes, what was the original plan with Dirk? He was introduced early enough to have joined the big shebang vs. the Fatal Five, but I guess there wasn't space to work him in - and with Brainy imprisoned (as Brainy and Jan together had to temporarily solve Dirk's problems), there was no way Dirk could be on the rescue squad?

re Cham and Lyle, both of them dropped the ball, but good point GL - if Lyle messed up, so did Cham. (I found that whole scene hilarious though)

re Zoe and Brainy, that was wonderfully entertaining - and Zoe really would make a bad, but hilarious, leader tongue and this is coming from a big fan

cool trivia re the phrase "if there's no one there, it's Norg" and its origin!

Gaseous Lad #1017689 08/15/22 02:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
oooh, Imra's parents being named after fans is so cool. I love how so many bits are taken from UseNet, shows the creators made an effort. love!

also not really sure how Magnoball works, and how teams from other worlds can hope to compete vs. Braalian players. (I get that they use magnetic gloves...) but oh well. I can suspend my disbelief tongue

I felt a bit for the gay ambassadors, though I did like how nobody had a problem with them being gay - the issue was they came from worlds with poor relations.

and yay, Vi as leader, whohoo!

Gaseous Lad #1017690 08/15/22 03:29 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Lydda was playing magnoball with Cos and Pol and Pol's beard*coff*girlfriend in the 70s or 80s I think? I assumed it would just be magnetic gear

Weird that this comes up now actually, I was just wondering last night if non-Carggites could do tri-jitsu as well!

Gaseous Lad #1017691 08/15/22 03:41 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
re tri-jitsu, I understand much of the art comes from knowing when to integrate and to triplicate again... so would be quite a bit tougher for non-Carggites to do, I think.

Gaseous Lad #1017692 08/15/22 04:43 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
hmmm that is a good point - although I think a team of Imskians/Durlans/Bgltzr people could replicate that part of it pretty well....I would assume it'd be an extra disadvantage but not a deal-breaker (which now makes me think how cool it would have been if Karate Kid studied with Duo Damsel at some stage! I don't recall OG Val really doing teamwork-dependant stuff, it would be a fun way to challenge him)

Gaseous Lad #1017697 08/15/22 10:55 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
These issues were strong on showing the emotional relationships between the different characters. I also enjoyed the Zoe-Brainy dynamic, much less angst-ridden than Laurel-Brainy. Zoe's fun, Brainy's not... it works. And I wonder what Vi said to get him to stay? Vi elected as leader was a surprise.

Harsh on the physical side, though - Dirk's physical status unresolved, Jan blinded, Garth losing his arm.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Invisible Brainiac #1017698 08/15/22 11:24 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I ponder sometimes, what was the original plan with Dirk? He was introduced early enough to have joined the big shebang vs. the Fatal Five, but I guess there wasn't space to work him in - and with Brainy imprisoned (as Brainy and Jan together had to temporarily solve Dirk's problems), there was no way Dirk could be on the rescue squad?

I agree - it was curious. Maybe it was because they had turned him into a cad and then a disaster of a figurehead in the prior run that they wanted to put him on the back burner.

re Cham and Lyle, both of them dropped the ball, but good point GL - if Lyle messed up, so did Cham. (I found that whole scene hilarious though)

Me too! laugh

re Zoe and Brainy, that was wonderfully entertaining - and Zoe really would make a bad, but hilarious, leader tongue and this is coming from a big fan

I think a whole issue/episode in the BTAS animation style of this would be amazing!

cool trivia re the phrase "if there's no one there, it's Norg" and its origin!

oooh, Imra's parents being named after fans is so cool. I love how so many bits are taken from UseNet, shows the creators made an effort. love!

Many of the Legion creative staff were very accessible to the fans back in those days, and the interplay was very similar to how Barry Kitson interacted with folks here back in the day. It was really nice to see. And that would then overflow to the conventions. I was never able to participate in that, but it sounds like it was a fun time.

razsolo #1017699 08/15/22 11:26 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
also not really sure how Magnoball works, and how teams from other worlds can hope to compete vs. Braalian players. (I get that they use magnetic gloves...) but oh well. I can suspend my disbelief tongue
!

Originally Posted by razsolo
Lydda was playing magnoball with Cos and Pol and Pol's beard*coff*girlfriend in the 70s or 80s I think? I assumed it would just be magnetic gear

Yeah, I remember that non-Braalians have been shown using equipment to play, it just occurred to me that Braalians would have a natural advantage if they played Winathians, say. It was just one of those things that surfaced in my head for no particular reason. laugh

Fat Cramer #1017700 08/15/22 11:27 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
These issues were strong on showing the emotional relationships between the different characters. I also enjoyed the Zoe-Brainy dynamic, much less angst-ridden than Laurel-Brainy. Zoe's fun, Brainy's not... it works. And I wonder what Vi said to get him to stay? Vi elected as leader was a surprise.

Harsh on the physical side, though - Dirk's physical status unresolved, Jan blinded, Garth losing his arm.

What Vi said to Brainy is a great question I would love to know the answer to! smile

I also noticed a small detail that I'm not sure is on purpose or not - Vi's hand is on the table console when her victory is announced.

Gaseous Lad #1017712 08/15/22 02:30 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
LSH 82 will reveal that Vi brings in Dr Gym’s to free Brainy up from medical stuff… for which Brainy is grateful and invents something for her… except L* 38 also shows that it was Triad Orange’s idea, so… yeah. Could have been both?

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/15/22 02:30 PM.
Gaseous Lad #1017713 08/15/22 02:38 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Hmmm - I guess we'll get to that next week, but I wonder if its editorial error or just a "Vi talks to Brainy, then Vi tasked Lu to recruit Gym'll specifically" thing

Gaseous Lad #1017715 08/15/22 03:45 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Either works for me smile

Gaseous Lad #1017736 08/16/22 01:59 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
LSH 81 was also one of the times I sided with Leviathan - I found his rage at Star Boy justified. Thom didn’t even notice it apologise for breaking through the facade… the only reason I didn’t rage at them myself was that he was concerned about Jo

Reboot Reread - Lifestyles of the Dead/Wishful Thinking
Gaseous Lad #1019883 11/01/22 09:57 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
OK folks, I think I've almost got all my shit together after Covid and finishing up the Threeboot. Honestly, I'm not sure which was worse.

Anyway, let's pick this up again, shall we?

Legion of Super-Heroes 82
Lifestyles of the Dead

Issue information

Summary:

An explosion destroys Brainiac 5's lab, to which his only reaction is "interesting". He rudely tells Chuck Taine and Violet to "be quiet" as he walks away, protected by his forcefield. He further tells Chuck that he could rebuild the lab by Tuesday, if he hurries. Violet soothes Chuck by saying that it would be nice for his employment to be extended; she also says that Brainy's intellect has been very useful, which is why they put up with his lab-destroying ways. Cos and Imra come running in alarm, and Vi tells Cos she is handling it. Cos apologizes for taking charge, and the two founders congratulate Vi on her recent leadership win.

In another lab, Brainy makes a note to invent something for Violet as thanks for increasing his lab time. Minor error: he credits Violet for bringing Dr. Gym'll in, though in Legionnaires 38 Triad claims credit for calling him. But Triad did give Violet credit for convincing Brainy to stay with the team.

Dr. Gym'll is examining Live Wire to see if he can regrow Garth's arm.

Ultra Boy wakes up in his quarters in pain.

On Xanthu, Leviathan is mercilessly teasing Star Boy. "Next stop: Hickworld!" An annoyed Thom tells Gim he comes from a city of 17 million; Gim retorts with "I've never heard of it!" Thom tells Gim to talk louder and be proud of his ignorance. Gates also calls Gim out for "perpetuating hateful stereotypes".

Invisible Kid finally tells Spark that Chameleon is her real secret admirer, to Spark's consternation.

The Legionnaires are met by Xanthu's local superteam, the Uncanny Amazers - much to Thom's embarrassment. He even tries to pretend he doesn't know them, at first.

We meet: Lonna Leing, Insect Queen (nice play on Lana Lang there). Monstress is feeling the inferiority complex; she tells I. Queen "I guarantee you, they ain't heard of none of us!". She introduces herself as "The Monstress, that is my only name". Then she whispers, "Grife, that sounded stupid...". Boy, she sure is a far cry from the sweet Monstress we would come to know later. Rounding out the group are Atom'x and Kid Quantum II, with the latter being extremely hostile. Monstress tells Thom to forgive Kid Q's attitude, as she's been like that ever since her brother James died. Thom wonders if that's why Gim hates him so much. Thom surprises the Amazers by saying he doesn't plan to leave the Legion and return to Xanthu.

Jo's pains end when he calls Tinya's name. He jumps out of bed, thinking that he felt a rush of something undefinable... some "Tinya-ness". He goes into her room to investigate, only to scream as a hand phases through his chest and a voice tells him to get out!

Back on Xanthu, the Legionnaires mingle with the Amazers and other locals. We see many Xanthusians look down their noses at the Legion, though in a way that also suggests an inferiority complex. "We're as good as they are!" The Xanthusian President holds no illusions; he candidly tells Leviathan that, being on the edge of the galaxy, Xanthu has great need of its own defense force. He even says, "and, well, you saw the super-heroes we got. We could really use Star Boy." Gim is only too happy to let Thom go back to Xanthu, prompting Kid Quantum II to call him out for not standing up for Star Boy. "I see your leader's really sticking up for you, Star Boy. Just like he was there when my brother needed him." A shocked Gim stammers out an apology - "I'm very sorry for your loss, but I swear to you we did everything we could..."

Prefect Lamar (is a Prefect a Prime Minister?) whispers to the President about his plan: to have the Amazers face the Legion in a cage-match for the right to keep Star Boy. The President says he hates the plan, but reconsiders; he thinks some of the Amazers, suich as Kid Q, probably hate the Legion too much to work with Star Boy, so the plan does make sense. Let them get their aggressions out in the open, eh? Thom quickly accepts before a stunned Gim can say no.

The phased hand through Jo's chest is revealed to be Winema Wazzo, cleaning out Tinya's quarters. Jo tries to empathize with her pain over losing Tinya; she tells him not to touch her. "If you ever soil me with your touch like you soiled my baby, I'll have you killed!" Jo grits his teeth in anger, then suddenly collapses. And things begin flying around Tinya's room! Jo gets knocked out.

Cage match timne on Xanthu. Prefect Lamar tries to goad M'Onel into joining; he doesn't rise to the bait, but picks up the cage with one hand and says he needs to move it out of the draftg so he won't catch cold. Lamar eats his words, heh.

Kid Q has second thoughts about something she agreed to help Lamar do. Lamar tells her to stop thinking and just follow orders.

Match time: Star Boy, Spark, Leviathan, Chameleon and Gates (I guess Lyle was too busy being Invisible) versus Konk! (Floating Head Girl - thanks for the nickname, Gates!), Insect Queen, Monstress, Atom'x and the bald kid whom everyone insults and whose powers remain unknown. As the match starts, the Legionnaires find themselves inexplicably slowed down; Monstress scores an easy victory on Leviathan, Insect Queen wraps up Chameleon in webbing, and Konk headbutts Gates. Oops. Lamar cheers, telling Kid Q to keep up her quantum field. "If you win this for us, you will undo all the damage done by your br... errrrr." An angry Jazmin tells him off for not appreciating James' sacrifice in the line of duty, and tells him to fix his own match! With the quantum field off, Gim and Cham bounce off the floor and knock out Atom'x and the bald kid. And I assume Star Boy and Spark mop up the rest of their opponents - or Jazmin owns up to the cheating - because the next thing we know, M'Onel is congratulating Star Boy for keeping his Legion membership.

Vi, Cos and Imra rush to help Winema deal with the disturbance. Winema uses Jo's flight ring to bring him to the infirmary, thinking to herself that she "can't hate a sick child" despite despising Jo for so long. She interrupts Dr. Gym'll telling Garth that he can only regrow his other armif he gives up his lightning powers. Gym'll finds an unknown variety of ectoplasm in Jo's body, which turns out to be...

Apparition!

Tinya reappears, and the flying objects stop. Tinya says she somehow hid in Jo's body when they were atacked by the Daxamite (Legionnaires Annual 2), and has been trying to get out ever since. Except, she can only be seen and heard by Jo and Winema... and nobody at all can touch her. Jo and Winema are just happy to have her back, though.

Thoughts:

Rather a gorgeous and dramatic cover, of an intangible hand phasing through Ultra Boy's chest!

Well, we get quite two subplots wrapped up here - Jo's mysterious pains, Thom's Legion membership. That's quite a lot of developments. I don't know if I'm particularly satisfied with how they did it. I did like the exploration of Xanthu's inferiority complex and views towards Earth, and it was good seeing another side of Winema besides the harsh tiger mom.

Gim is such a jerk here, but I can't 100% blame him. Back in college, I used to act that way towards a classmate whom, I felt, was pig-headed and arrogant and incompetent. I can see where Gim is coming from; it's not the best behavior, but it's so very human AND understandable. Two quibbles: one is Gim is teasing Star Boy by belittling Xanthu (and not Gim himself); and as Gates observes, this is very much against the Legion's mission. Two, is his poor handling of expressing condolences to Kid Quantum II, especially when he himself was so broken up over Kid Quantum I's death way back. I felt this was a missed opportunity to give Gim some depth and show another side to him. Actually, a third quibble, and possibly the greatest - Gim directly disobeys RJ Brande's orders, and tries to foist Star Boy back on Xanthu. For someone who prides himself so much on his discipline and his background...! Gim must really think Thom is unsuitable!

I love the Xanthusian President. Candid, honest, and with a keen knowledge of human nature! Certainly one of the better politicans we have met.

The Amazers:

Monstress sounds more like The Thing here, certainly a far cry from her "sweetie" speech patterns later on. I suspect that she was initially intended as a joke character and pastiche of The Hulk/The Thing, and when the writers decided to make her a Legionnaire they went in a different direction, making her "sweet" to make her more unique.

Atom'x. I read that he was supposed to be Atmos, but the art went wrong. Explains why Atmos would appear later in the issue without any lines. Remembering back to Legionnaires 0, Atmos was mentioned (and had a cameo), along with Star Boy and Kid Quantum I.

And, here's my corroboration on Atom'x's origin.

Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I read a theory (can't find it anymore) that Atom'x was actually a misdrawn or miscolored Atmos.

Yeah, he was supposed to be Atmos, but because of some sort of artistic miscommunication, he ended up being drawn as looking nothing like Atmos. So, he became a separate character, who was named after Tom McCraw's screenname, a fact that Tom was completely unaware of when choosing the character's color scheme.

Kid Quantum II. Why not? A direct legacy character! Stasis fields are a useful power anyway. I liked her standing up for her brother James, but I like even better that the writers let her have second thoughts even before Lamar insulted James. Shows her good character.

Insect Queen is a nice update on Lana Lang.

Legionnaires 39
Wishful Thinking

Issue Information

Summary:

Kinetix meditates in her room, trying to find a trace of the Emerald Eye. "Why must power be so elusive?" She thinks to herself that she searched for powers so she could continue to help the Legion. Lori peeks in and disturbs Zoe's concentration. Zoe snaps at her, then apologizes. Lori came to ask for advice, as Violet recommended Zoe as a "worldly person". She wants a guy (Rond!) to notice her; Kinetix tells her to slow down and remember that, while physically she is an adult, mentally she is only ten. Lori walks out, annoyed.

In space, a quartet of Science Police officers are flying Dr. Regulus to Takron-Galtos. Regulus burns out of his prison, and we hear the pained screams of two of the Officers.

Violet greets Leviathan's team on their arrival from Xanthu. Gim congratulates Vi on winning the leadership election, and complains about his mission - Thom gets to stay; he kept trying to fly the cruiser (despite everyone NOT wanting "Crash Kallor" to do so!), Spark is hostile to both Chameleon and Invisible Kid, and apparently Gates never stopped speaking the whole time (to which Gates retorts, "Oh, like you're such a great conversationalist!"). In the commissary, Gim is concerned about M'Onel's Detached Agent status letting him take off pretty much whenever he wants. He thinks it will be bad for morale. Vi counters that it IS a special status for him, and the rest of the team is on board and in good shape.

Ultra Boy tells Spark "Everything's wonderful, we're very happy," a reference to Apparition's return in LSH 82 (though only Jo and Winema can see her).

XS asks Spark about her secret admirer. When Spark reveals it was Cham instead of Lyle, XS blurts it out to the whole commissary - much to Ayla's, Cham's and Lyle's consternation.

Triad argues amongst herself, with Orange freaking out that Cham's not humanoid and Purple being supportive. An annoyed Neutral forcibly reintegrates, embarrased that they were arguing so in public.

Zoe chases Lori to get her to calm down. "Nass, I sound like my mother!"

Brainy suddenly realizes that nobody has pestered him the entire day.

Gallan is a remote world owned by McCauley, and we see how grim the pollution situation is. Spider-Girl wakes up fellow Workforce member Inferno, who sleeps with ALL the lights open. Hmm.. McCauley complains about falling production levels, to which a worker explains that most other employees have left because of the poor environmental and health situation. McCauley will have none of it, and further complains about the Science Police cruiser which landed without notification. Uh-oh...

Zoe is still looking for Lori, and encounters Triad. Poor Lu has a horrible headache. Zoe offers to help as she has some healing experience. Triad mentions that she cannot find Brainy.

Lori is in Rond's lab, and kisses him. A surprised Rond falls down, and an annoyed Lori says she felt nothing despite always believing the first kiss would be special.

In the Monitor Room, Cosmic Boy and Saturn Girl kiss. Shvaughn calls in with a report that the Science Police (SP) cruiser carrying Dr. Regulus was diverted to Gallan; and because Gallan is a private holding, the SPs have no jurisdiction. Cos notifies Violet, who assembles a team at once -

Violet leads Chameleon, Cosmic Boy, Leviathan, Kinetix, Spark, Triad, Ultra Boy and XS. We will see next issue that Apparition is along for the ride. And Violet chose to bring Dirk Morgna, despite Gim's misgivings. Dirk is understandably aggressive towards Regulus, which makes Gim push back. As the cruiser dives into the atmosphere, a beam burns a whole in the cruiser, and Violet orders the team to bail. They head for McCauley's industrial center, where we find him cowering in the dark. Evolvo, as an apeman, tries to start a fire. Spider-Girl complains about not going with Inferno and Karate Kid to check on the blackout. The Legion enters, and McCauley tells them all he knows - which is that the SP Cruiser landed, that a petrochem plant was wrecked and that the power went out. Vi deduces it was Regulus' doing, and splits the team into squads. Spider-Girl suggests she tag along with Ultra Boy's squad, but Jo rebuffs her. Poor Sussa.

Squad 1: Cosmic Boy, Kinetix and Triad. Another new thing for Zoe, she uses her telekinesis to agitate air molecules to provide light. Not a magic thing, though. They find and rescue Karate Kid from under some debris. Val was ambushed by someone with armor - Regulus.

Squad 2: Chameleon, Spark, Ultra Boy and XS face a panicked Inferno, whose fear of the dark is causing her to throw fire everywhere. Cham narrowly saves Spark, who warms up to him and apologizes for giving him the cold shoulder. XS zips in and slaps some sense into Inferno.

Squad 3: Leviathan, Violet and Dirk Morgna. As the only one to provide light, Dirk takes point (!). In no time at all they find Regulus, who tries burning them. Dirk realizes that Regulus can "see" heat signatures; and when he tries to attack Regulus, his own fire is absorbed. Regulus gloats that his armor's circuitry is linked to Gallan's planetary power grid, and that he can absorb energy! Cos' squad arrives to reinforce Vi's; and Zoe flirts with Gim a bit. Triad triplicates, only for each of her three bodies to be physically different - each has a different costume and hairstyle. Before they can figure out what happened, Regulus creates a shockwave through his new "command of electromagnetic forces", and tells the Legionnaires they will die!

Thoughts:

I love Jeff Moy's art, and his roll calls are a nice touch. Here we have Spark snubbing a concerned Chameleon as a sight gag. I especially loved the panel where XS blurts out Cham's identity as Spark's admirer - Ayla spills coffee all over her face (with a big SPOOT!), Lyle drops his tray and Cham's antennae stiffen! I also love how Moy worked in clues that Brainy was undetectable - we see Brainy right in the middle of the commissary, and succeeding panels show Chuck, Lori and Zoe all passing him, all without anyone noticing him at all.

I feel that the interpersonal conflicts and little moments were much better than the action in this issue, which consists of the Legionnaires searching for Regulus and stumbling around in the dark. There are some clever power uses though, such as XS outrunning Inferno's fireballs; Spark using electricity to disrupt the flames; Zoe using telekinesis to shield the team from debris; Cos wrapping Regulus up in metal. And Apeman Evolvo is just too funny.

My biggest criticism is the threat of Regulus. I still don't understand how he could get so powerful, even going so far as to create earthquakes and stuff. There isn't even any futuristic science explanation. It feels a bit lazy, unlike earlier stories with more solid science (Planet Hell's magnetic fields protecting it from the sun, the chemistry used to stop the Composite Man...)

The one-liners continue to entertain - Zoe's "Nass, I sound like my mother!" while chasing Lori; Gates' "Like you're such a great conversationalist" to Gim; and Thom's "Crash Kallor" nickname (Thom's pained comment, "one little accident and they never let you forget it", is hilarious too).

Zoe's powers continue to confuse - now it seems she's a generic magic user in addition to having telekinesis (conjuring an image of the Emerald Eye; helping heal Triad). At least the glow-in-the-dark thing is explained by telekinesis.

Bringing Triad along on the mission is an odd choice; her headache was so bad she was crouching in the hallway back in Legion HQ. I would have thought she would have been left behind, as her pain only started easing after the cruiser made the Stargate jump to Gallan. Bringing Dirk is an interesting choice as well - he shows no signs of being trained for these types of situations. And oh, Vi's puppy love is showing - grouping herself with Gim!

Alas poor Sussa, she still definitely has a thing for Jo. Well, he did pretty much drop her to go with Tinya, and we never saw him break up with her for good (the whole time, it was implied that he just "ghosted" her, heh). This always bothered me a bit, and I think that when Sussa finally gets over him she will definitely let him hear about it.

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 11/01/22 11:33 AM.

Re: Reboot Reread - Lifestyles of the Dead/Wishful Thinking
Gaseous Lad #1019884 11/01/22 10:19 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
LSH 82:

Watching Vi be the hyper-competent leader is fun to read.

What's with Jo? The cover image is really compelling and I'd say is definitely the lead story thread here. The Xanthu story just seems to be an excuse to get some characters away. However, we do get the next twist in the secret admirer saga between Cham and Ayla.

The Amazers are... interesting, although this is just an introduction and these four will have much more impact later on. Strange as it may sound, I like Jasmin with a chip on her shoulder about her brother's death. And Candi is interesting here - very much a Hulk clone versus what she would turn into later.

The Legion titles were good in that the cover images usually had some direct connection to the story content, and we get that here with the reveal of the arm sticking through Jo to be Winema. They are incredibly contentious, and I was a bit shocked at Winema's reaction to Jo's touch.

Gim becomes a bit more fully realized here. He's still the jerk he usually is around Thom especially with the prospect of getting rid of him, but when confronted by Jasmin, Gim's a bit more humble. When it comes to the cage match, the Amazers get the jump on the Legion, but only because Jasmin was cheating. The revelation about the Xanthan authorities being corrupt and using this to undo the supposed shame that James Cullen's death brought worked well and Jasmin comes out looking very positive. Also, I love Konk. smile

Then we get the return of Apparition as a real, well, apparition. This bothered me a lot as I thought they should have kept her dead, but its obvious from the "there are three of you" line in Legionnaires annual 2 that this was getting set up from then. So fine, she gets brought back. They are all in the room with Garth and Gym'll, so why doesn't Garth know about Tinya? Surely Jo and Winema would have addressed the fact that Jo is having a conversation with someone that only Jo and Winema can see. I dunno, it just bothered me.

I also have to say that I really enjoyed Moder's work in this issue, when I don't normally. Not sure what was different here, as its the same normal team on art, but it just looks better somehow.

Last edited by Gaseous Lad; 11/01/22 11:33 AM.

Gaseous Lad #1019886 11/01/22 10:38 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Yay more Reboot reread goodness! Will post more later. For now, it was a great seeing Tinya’s partial return - I always related to her more for her overbearing mom troubles and her willingness to speak out against perceived injustices

Gaseous Lad #1019887 11/01/22 10:41 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Re Gim being confronted by Jazmin, was it really humility though? He seemed to lack empathy, and was woefully unprepared. His reply was just “we did everything we could…” i felt it was a missed chance. He just comes across as a jerk for making fun of Thom the whole time - I wish there had at least been a short speech re “Thom I don’t like you because you don’t even give a think about collateral damage when using your powers, how can you be a Legionnaire that way”

Good point re Garth and Gym’ll should have known about Tinya - surely Jo and Winema would have said something…

Also the Monstress characterisation here is hilarious, especially after comparing to her later changed personality

Invisible Brainiac #1019888 11/01/22 11:37 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
You may be right - humility may not be the correct word here. But he is definitely shocked to reality when he realizes that James' death isn't just about him (Gim, that is). He definitely is more of a jerk than not. Winema's reaction to Jo did much more to soften and bolster her character here when she took him to the infirmary.

Its funny how when I think of Monstress, I always have the chirpy nice rich girl in my head, so when I read this and she's Ms. Ben Grimm, I just have to laugh. laugh

Gaseous Lad #1019889 11/01/22 11:39 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Also - interesting note about the origin of Atom'x character name. Although I like Attaboy better smile

Gaseous Lad #1019891 11/01/22 12:02 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
LOL at that Attaboy bit.Was realistic seeing Atom'x and Radion beating their chests over Kinetix... and Zoe didn't even pay either of them any mind lol! She was too worried about Vi tongue

and yeah, Winema being all "well, I can't hate a sick child" and figuring out how to use a flight ring to save Jo, were nice touches.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 11/01/22 12:03 PM.
Gaseous Lad #1019892 11/01/22 12:22 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Legionnaires 39 -

I *really* love this scene with Kinetix and Lori. It shows off so many aspects of Zoe's personality in a short space of pages. Something I didn't note before - Zoe was fixing in on the Eye's location and Vi happened to send Lori to Zoe for advice just then. Coincidence?

A nice detail I always appreciated about Moy's drawing of the Legion's word is that things made sense. The SP cruiser is clearly based on the same design as the Legion cruiser, which makes sense in universe.

God the scene of the Xanthu mission returning and heading to the commissary is probably one of my favorite scenes ever. Off-duty moments are where some really golden character moments can be found! Jenni's letting loose the secret admirer truth to everyone is great, as is Gim eating like a pig. I agree with Ibby; its cute how Vi is making sure she is spending time around Gim officially versus telling him how she feels.

Brainy being left alone the entire time from going through the commissary to his lab should be a major red flag! smile

Lots of smooching going on. I'm still not a fan of an Imra/Rokk romance, to be honest.

Boy Gim is pretty much abrasive with EVERYONE, Dirk, even Vi. The scene in the cruiser is cute - Zoe working to heal Triad, Spark being... sparky, Rokk in love, and Cham looking over his shoulder.

I was fascinated by the tracking down of Inferno. First we get a description of how Zoe uses her powers, which tells us she can manipulate things at a very micro level, to Inferno's phobia of the dark. One would think that her powers would be able to stave off that, but its a fascinating aspect. I wasn't quite as convinced by Ayla's sudden turn of heart around Cham, even though he did save her life.

And then we end with the confrontation with Regulus. I think I noted this before, but its worth mentioning again. Things start to really get weirder when Zoe flirts a bit with Gim after he's knocked down. That's exactly the moment when Triad completely splits into three different people. I'm not sure if this is a direct causal relationship here, but looking back, it seems like it to me.

This is one of Jeff Moy's best issues in a series where he does consistently great work. This issue is probably one of the single best issues of Legionnaires across the run. Great art and a TON of stuff happening in 22 pages. This is how the Legion is supposed to be.

Gaseous Lad #1019893 11/01/22 02:06 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
makes sense Vi would say Zoe is worldly and all that!

Moy is amazing... and indeed this issue was well-written, lots of character moments, and also action. The large cast is very well handled

Gim is not making many friends, is he?

I wonder if part of Ayla warming up to Cham is the Eye's influence? it WA a bit abrupt, but on the other hand she only acts grateful towards Cham and says she is ready to talk to him

and indeed, love how Moy can paint so many pictures, like that scene in the cruiser - so many things going on without being overwhelming! and he moves the plot (or at least characterization) along even without dialogue!

Gaseous Lad #1019894 11/01/22 02:09 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Also, the poor sci-cops at the start. They made me care about Hawley dang it!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,196
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
LegionFan223
LegionFan223
Orando