Roll Call
0 members (), 27 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20
Re: Any recommendations
thor2168 #961234 10/10/18 09:35 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Looked at the preview on Comixology and it looks like a lot of fun!

thor2168 #961235 10/10/18 10:39 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
The art samples I saw are stunning! I emailed my CBS to see if they either have it or can get it!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
thor2168 #961267 10/11/18 11:40 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I popped my head into the shop today, but it wasn't there. Neither was Impossible Inc #2. I got absolutely soaked too. whine...moan...Bah!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thor2168 #963399 11/20/18 12:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I really liked The Beauty so far. Its a bit light so does better in collected trades but the covers caught my eye and I gave it ago.

It reminds me kind of like Y THE LAST MAN, tho not AS good of course but still good. Here's why:

There is a Beauty disease that is the main plot, we've got two detectives investigating it.

But what is cool and what reminds me of YtLM is that the main plot has all these tangents of what it is like to actually live with (or without) this disease that makes you beautiful and how society is changing because of it.

Its not spectacular but I am finding I like it way more than I expected to. Art is pretty good, its a bit humorous and has action.

However, I think it would be nigh impossible to jump into.

Last edited by Power Boy; 11/20/18 01:01 AM.
thor2168 #967214 02/15/19 09:04 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I'm not too familiar with Ed Brubaker's multitude of crime drama collaborations with Sean Phillips, but yesterday I read their first OGN, "My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies," and I found it astonishing! I give it my highest possible recommendation, and I suggest anybody with preconceptions about modern crime comics leave them at the door, like I did.

In a word: WOW.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
thor2168 #967215 02/15/19 01:26 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I've heard a few positive things about the Brubaker/Phillips work. I'll really need to take a look.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thor2168 #967220 02/15/19 02:27 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thoth, the best part that I forgot to mention in my review is that while it's obviously part of something bigger, it's completely accessible and stands on its own. Brubaker has said that he makes an effort to do just that with his stories under the "Criminal" umbrella.

thor2168 #967223 02/15/19 03:01 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I didn't even realise it was part of something larger too. Always a treat if it's done well. Thanks Ms. Hebificks.

thor2168 #968767 03/20/19 01:50 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Just found out that, this Summer 2019, Hermes Press's ongoing collections reprinting the Phantom dailies are *finally* going to reach the early 1960s, and the arrival of Seymour "Sy" Barry on art!

YYYYAAAAAYYYYYY!

I don't know if I've ever shared this before in this forum, but as a child of the 80s, I got to enjoy the Last Hurrah of the classic adventure strips. My favorite of them all was the Phantom, and I certainly consider Sy Barry foremost among my formative artistic influences.

FTR, Phantom creator/scripter Lee Falk was still alive and active in the 80s, though it's possible he may have had other writers ghosting for him at this point. Sy Barry definitely had a lot of ghosts (including Joe Giella and Carmine Infantino), but I'm quite sure that he always contributed something to the finished art, otherwise I doubt the look of the strip would have been so consistent.

For any Phantom fan, from the casual to the hardcore, this is truly a milestone and I give it the highest possible recommendation. I'm ecstatic that I'll finally be able to see Barry (and company's) Phantom art from the 60s and 70s!

I'm walking on air right now!

Ann Hebistand #973240 06/28/19 01:50 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
I'm not too familiar with Ed Brubaker's multitude of crime drama collaborations with Sean Phillips, but yesterday I read their first OGN, "My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies," and I found it astonishing! I give it my highest possible recommendation, and I suggest anybody with preconceptions about modern crime comics leave them at the door, like I did.

Just read it myself. A gorgeous, moody, noirish book with a bit of a swerve near the end that puts the story in a new perspective. A fine example of the Brubaker/Phillips collaboration and an excellent self-contained yarn which also has connections to the larger "Criminal" universe. The connections are in no way essential to understanding the story. I'm looking forward to catching up soon on the latest Criminal volume that is already a few issues in.

While I'm at it, I'll recommend Kill or Be Killed (by the same creative team), which I thought I connected with even more than Fatale or The Fade-Out. Okay, maybe I'm not in love with the ending and the unexpected spin it puts on the series-long narration, but otherwise, I thought this modern vigilante tale was excellent and a real page-turner.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #973339 07/01/19 05:35 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Paladin

Just read it myself. A gorgeous, moody, noirish book with a bit of a swerve near the end that puts the story in a new perspective. A fine example of the Brubaker/Phillips collaboration and an excellent self-contained yarn which also has connections to the larger "Criminal" universe. The connections are in no way essential to understanding the story. I'm looking forward to catching up soon on the latest Criminal volume that is already a few issues in.

While I'm at it, I'll recommend Kill or Be Killed (by the same creative team), which I thought I connected with even more than Fatale or The Fade-Out. Okay, maybe I'm not in love with the ending and the unexpected spin it puts on the series-long narration, but otherwise, I thought this modern vigilante tale was excellent and a real page-turner.

Glad you enjoyed "My Heroes," Lardy. I don't remember if I said this in my original review, but I found it very refreshing how EB and SP went against the grain of noir-comics tropes, with those bright, soft colors and the lack of typical noir archetypes among the cast.

And I will check out those Criminal arcs you've recommended. Thanks!

thor2168 #977253 09/25/19 03:49 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Some recent New Warriors reminiscing with Myg Andy S in Spaceopoly makes me really wish Marvel would get it together to collect Fabian Nicieza's 52-issue NW run in a cohesive, coherent way.

Last year, they finally reached up to issue #36 with the NW: Darkness and Light trade, so I haven't entirely given up hope.

In the meantime, here's what I consider the very best of Fabian's NW stories, the ones most worth seeking as individual issues:

- #1-6 and Thor 411-412: Team forms, fights Terrax, fights their rival team Psionex, meets the Inhumans

- #10-26: Lots of good stuff here: a battle with the Hellions, an alternate universe created by the Sphinx, rematch with Psionex, the return of Terrax, clash with Gideon, Vance Astro's horrifying last-straw confrontation with his abusive father, and shocking revelations that shake the team to its very foundations.

- Night Thrasher: Four Control #1-4: He's not my favorite team member, but this solo mini-series is a solid piece of work.

- #31: Spotlight on Firestar, guest-starring Cannonball and Warpath; my single favorite NW issue!

- #32-34 and Annual 3: Guest-starring every shadow-related character in the Marvel Universe.

- #40-42: NW goes cosmic! Darick Robertson fans -- this is a must-have for you!

- Time and Time Again event (NW #47-50, Night Thrasher #11-12, Nova #6-7): Despite the inconvenience of having to buy issues of other series, this is the Nineties at its most Nicieza...or Nicieza at his most Nineties...either way, that's a GOOD thing!

- #51-52: Fabian ties up loose ends before leaving.

thor2168 #978130 10/19/19 12:08 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Probably not a surprise that I'd enjoy it, but Superman Smashes the Klan is pretty awesome.

Ann Hebistand #978890 11/19/19 05:55 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Just found out that, this Summer 2019, Hermes Press's ongoing collections reprinting the Phantom dailies are *finally* going to reach the early 1960s, and the arrival of Seymour "Sy" Barry on art!

YYYYAAAAAYYYYYY!

I don't know if I've ever shared this before in this forum, but as a child of the 80s, I got to enjoy the Last Hurrah of the classic adventure strips. My favorite of them all was the Phantom, and I certainly consider Sy Barry foremost among my formative artistic influences.

FTR, Phantom creator/scripter Lee Falk was still alive and active in the 80s, though it's possible he may have had other writers ghosting for him at this point. Sy Barry definitely had a lot of ghosts (including Joe Giella and Carmine Infantino), but I'm quite sure that he always contributed something to the finished art, otherwise I doubt the look of the strip would have been so consistent.

For any Phantom fan, from the casual to the hardcore, this is truly a milestone and I give it the highest possible recommendation. I'm ecstatic that I'll finally be able to see Barry (and company's) Phantom art from the 60s and 70s!

I'm walking on air right now!

Finally arrived yesterday, after a five-month delay.

It was worth the wait.

Barry's art did not disappoint, and the interview with him at the beginning of the volume is fun.

The second arc that Barry drew turned out to be a spotlight for the Phantom's long-distance lover, Diana Palmer. She's my favorite character from the Phantom Universe.

So, yes, I reiterate my highest possible recommendation.

thor2168 #978896 11/19/19 04:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The Phantom is quite well known here in Australia. A local publisher, Frew, has been reprinting the newspaper strips along with additional stories from Scandinavia like Fantomen since 1948 and is still a regular staple at newsagents.

I too thoroughly enjoyed Sy Barry's art. Ray Moore and Wilson McCoy had interesting and distinctive styles but when Barry took over it took the strip to a whole new level.

I never got into the Fantomen side of things. With the writing and artwork it just felt too different, although I am aware they have had some very interesting tales.

I still follow the current writer Tony De Paul and the artist Mike Manley and I think they both do a good job of maintaining the same style in the strip, but I still prefer Falk and Barry.

Totally agree with your recommendation.

thor2168 #978999 11/23/19 06:09 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks, Stile.

Always nice to find out another Legion Worlder is a Phantom fan.

thor2168 #983852 03/31/20 08:04 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Just a quick elaboration on a recommendation I made in the Re-Reads thread:

... Joe Kubert's Silver Age Hawkman work -- He only did six issues, and they received wildly mixed reactions at the time. Probably not a million miles from the reactions to Bill Sienkiewicz's "New Mutants" work 2 decades hence. Personally, though, I find them a real breath of fresh air amidst the visual primness of the other SA features from the Julius Schwartz stable (i.e. Gil Kane before he found his mojo, and Carmine Infantino, and Murphy Anderson, and Mike Sekowsky.)

I forgot to specify that the Kubert Hawkman stories in question first appeared in: Brave & the Bold numbers 34, 35, 36, 42, 43, and 44. They have been reprinted in: Hawkman Archives Volume 1 and Showcase presents Hawkman Volume 1 (the former in color, the latter in black & white.)

There's also a 1989 Hawkman trade, in color, which you might be able to find a used copy of at a reasonable price.

thor2168 #1009978 11/25/21 12:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It's been a while since I've recommended anything, not because nothing's been worthwhile, just me being too lazy to review.

I picked up a sampling of recent DC books to see if anything would stick and found 3 I liked:

Catwoman Lonely City by Cliff Chiang - one of the Black Label books. It's ten years after the death of Batman, Joker, Nightwing and Commissioner Gordon and Selina's just gotten released from jail. I love comics about older women kicking ass and this one fits the bill.

Dark Knights of Steel by Tom Taylor and Yasmine Putri - Superman and Batman as young men in a medieval/Camelot setting, along with assorted versions of Justice League characters. A few good twists on the classic Supes/Bats origins and relationship and very much in the spirit of the best of the Elseworlds books.

The Human Target by Tom King and Greg Smallwood - it was the art that caught my eye on this one; I knew the character existed but that was about it. Looks like it's could be a bit funny with the involvement of classic JLI characters. It's supposed to be dark - Christopher Chance has to solve his own murder - but I heard an interview with King that hinted at a lighter touch.

Also picked up Superman Son of Kal-el #5 by Tom Taylor and John Timms - not a strong recommendation, but just based on this one issue; I haven't read the previous ones. The story was mostly Superman flying all over Earth helping people because he has to burn up excess energy, nothing really new there. The last pages, when he collapses and is helped by purple-haired boyfriend Jay, were better - the relationship felt authentic and uncomplicated. Also, Jay has an interesting power of his own
he can phase through anything.
In sum, the relationship is well done, but the villain/action scenes didn't particularly grab my interest.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #1010228 12/04/21 02:39 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
The Human Target by Tom King and Greg Smallwood - it was the art that caught my eye on this one; I knew the character existed but that was about it.

Same!

thor2168 #1010662 12/18/21 12:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wonder Woman Historia: new history of the creation of the Amazons. A unique story by Kelly Sue DeConnick and truly stunning artwork by Phil Jimenez, very rich visually, almost like eating too much chocolate cake. 50 pages of dense story telling.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
thor2168 #1010665 12/18/21 12:51 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Mmmm, Jimenez back drawing Wonder Woman. Quite tempting. Thank you, Cramey.

thor2168 #1014278 04/15/22 10:58 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Could a moderator please delete this post? I realized too late it was better suited for the Big Ass Pile o'Trades thread. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ann Hebistand; 04/15/22 11:04 AM.

Page 20 of 20 1 2 18 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
EmeraldEmpress
EmeraldEmpress
London, UK
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star