Roll Call
0 members (), 17 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/30/24 04:44 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/30/24 04:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/30/24 12:48 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/30/24 12:47 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/30/24 12:46 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/30/24 12:46 AM
Annfie's Legion (and Non-Legion) fan art
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 11:08 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Why all the Legion reboots and retcons really don't matter
#1014733 05/04/22 01:49 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Re: Why all the Legion reboots and retcons really don't matter
Klar Ken T5477 #1014740 05/04/22 10:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That was great fun! Steve Shives often come sup on my Youtube "suggestions" but I have usually skipped it because I don't have the time for his longer videos, but now having watched this one I thik I will make the time. Great commentary.

Klar Ken T5477 #1014745 05/05/22 01:29 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I skimmed through it - usually I don't have the attention span or time to watch videos, but I did like how he explains (some) stuff! I'll need to make time to finish watching smile

Klar Ken T5477 #1014753 05/05/22 08:26 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
The main thesis of this comes at the end. To paraphrase, "If you open a book that has good writers and talented artists, there's a chance you may be reading the best comic ever."

So yeah in the end, it doesn't matter a whit. When a new writer or even editor comes on board a title that has been going for years, the tone is going to change based on the direction they want to take. Levitz taking the reins in the early 80s is a great example, as is DnA in the reboot.

I think the issue becomes when the characters are altered to such a degree they become almost unrecognizable from what they were before. Which may or may not coincide with the quality of writing wink

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Gaseous Lad #1014755 05/05/22 08:32 AM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
Gaseous Lad

*LIKE*
The relevant portion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Ff-OA65_o&t=1724s

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Klar Ken T5477 #1014756 05/05/22 08:35 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Bingo - I didn't know you could link to the second on YouTube. I really wish they would have a transcription feature for all their videos.

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Gaseous Lad #1014757 05/05/22 09:52 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Gaseous Lad
The main thesis of this comes at the end. To paraphrase, "If you open a book that has good writers and talented artists, there's a chance you may be reading the best comic ever."

So yeah in the end, it doesn't matter a whit. When a new writer or even editor comes on board a title that has been going for years, the tone is going to change based on the direction they want to take. Levitz taking the reins in the early 80s is a great example, as is DnA in the reboot.

I think the issue becomes when the characters are altered to such a degree they become almost unrecognizable from what they were before. Which may or may not coincide with the quality of writing wink

I agree... continuity is also important to an extent, as long as the character embodies the spirit of the original iteration.

Invisible Brainiac #1014759 05/05/22 10:35 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I agree... continuity is also important to an extent, as long as the character embodies the spirit of the original iteration.

This is right, I think. Its one of the reasons that I think the v4/5YL had so many problems - they completely over-tied themselves to the past continuity (and editorial whims) that overburdened the story (IMO) to such a way as to make it difficult for new readers, instead of just doing their thing and telling the story. But the *characters* were there and that's why it mattered and so many people liked it.

I submit that if Giffen had just said "OK, no supes references" and changed/altered names without going through retcon story after retcon story, 5YL would have been a much more streamlined story and, perhaps, more accessible.

Klar Ken T5477 #1014776 05/06/22 06:34 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
The one other thing that I thing DOES matter to the Legion with regards to the constant rebooting are the characters that get left behind. It happens way too often, and the characters between boots are what keeps interest alive - meaning most of the time, Cosmic Boy is the basically the same guy, and if you like him as your fave, all is good. But if you like a new one, and that character is not represented moving forward, then you're less inclined to read the book anymore.

You can get away with doing that with side characters in a Batman or Superman comic, but on a team book like the Legion, that can become problematic.

Gaseous Lad #1014777 05/06/22 07:20 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I submit that if Giffen had just said "OK, no supes references" and changed/altered names without going through retcon story after retcon story, 5YL would have been a much more streamlined story and, perhaps, more accessible.

Agreed 100 percent.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Klar Ken T5477 #1014779 05/06/22 12:29 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I dunno. While I agree the obsessive retconning was a huge problem for 5YL, I kind of hated the Retroboot strategy of introducing a Legion that basically looked like the Legion circa Crisis, would occasionally reference pre-Crisis stories, but made pretty much no efforts to figure out a coherent continuity for the team.

There has to be a balance somewhere in-between.

Eryk Davis Ester #1014780 05/06/22 01:27 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I dunno. While I agree the obsessive retconning was a huge problem for 5YL, I kind of hated the Retroboot strategy of introducing a Legion that basically looked like the Legion circa Crisis, would occasionally reference pre-Crisis stories, but made pretty much no efforts to figure out a coherent continuity for the team.

There has to be a balance somewhere in-between.

I'm always up for a creative challenge. How about...combine the basic concepts of the Retroboot and the Five Year Gap, and have the Five Year Gap happen immediately after the tryouts in Baxter Legion issue 14?

Klar Ken T5477 #1014784 05/06/22 03:27 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Well, not just the obsessive retconning, but the obsessive adherence to every little event that happened, which to some degree drove some of that retconning. (I'm thinking here of the Reflecto story wrangling they did, but I know there were tons of others).

Just tell the story and let the past come in when needed, but don't shackle the story to it to that degree, especially when the events in question happened in the early sixties! Every now and then that kind of reference is cool, but not a whole run.

Gaseous Lad #1014785 05/06/22 03:28 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Well, not just the obsessive retconning, but the obsessive adherence to every little event that happened, which to some degree drove some of that retconning. (I'm thinking here of the Reflecto story wrangling they did, but I know there were tons of others).

Just tell the story and let the past come in when needed, but don't shackle the story to it to that degree, especially when the events in question happened in the early sixties! Every now and then that kind of reference is cool, but not a whole run.

And again, I agree 100 percent.

Klar Ken T5477 #1017514 08/08/22 11:47 AM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
As I said, I follow Steve Shives on YouTube.

Advice to Young Potential DC Comics Fans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnj-4gjyEPU&ab_channel=SteveShives

Klar Ken T5477 #1021357 12/23/22 05:44 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
Now That James Gunn And Peter Safran Have Taken Over Here Are Six End-Credit Scenes Which Never Had A Payoff In The DCEU (and never will)

Superman appears at the end of Black Adam (No more Henry Cavill Superman)
Mr. Mind appears at the end of Shazam (Does not appear in Shazam 2, and there will be no more Shazam movies)
Asteria appears at the end of Wonder Woman 1984 (No more Gal Gadot Wonder Woman)
Martian Manhunter appears at the end of Justice League (That JLA is history)
Deathstroke appears at the end of Justice League (That JLA is history)
Sinestro (in yellow) appears at the end of Green Lantern (Well, we have known for a long time there will be no more Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern)

Klar Ken T5477 #1021376 12/24/22 06:51 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
well, there we go. Another victim of DC's endless reboots and retcons

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,010
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blacula
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star