Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 08:27 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/07/24 08:07 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Justice League vs. The Legion of Super-Heroes #3 - Preview and Spoilers
#1014786 05/06/22 03:47 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer

Re: Justice League vs. The Legion of Super-Heroes #3 - Preview and Spoilers
Nightcrawler #1014800 05/07/22 06:52 AM
A
Substitute
Substitute
A
Dr. Manhattan on the last panel. No big deal.

Also remember that the new Legionnaires know who the Watchmen are, by name, from their initial series. I wonder if anything will happen with this particular thread.

Alexander #1014801 05/07/22 06:56 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
I noticed that, too. We'll see.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Nightcrawler #1014805 05/07/22 08:37 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Yeah, because EVERYONE enjoyed "Doomsday Clock" SO MUCH! :rolleyes:

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Nightcrawler #1014879 05/10/22 03:24 AM
A
Substitute
Substitute
A
lol the covered face was Booster Gold.

Decent issue, but as usual the dialogue is awkwardly worded and often requires two readings to understand, and not much movement was had on the overall plot. It feels like we should have been at this point last issue. I also noticed two of the time periods they visit are from the Millennium special.

Nightcrawler #1014894 05/10/22 07:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yeah it was OK but that's all. I'm trying to figure out why it felt a bit not as good as some other good dramatic tales. Perhaps it is that often in those while they still left further mysteries to solve and cliff-hangers each issue they still provided some revelations and movement forward. Here we have some changes as the team(s) get scattered through time but the only "revelations" I saw were Batman and Hawkgirl's discussion of their meeting with Epoch in the most recent Justice League Annual and his warning to destroy the Gold Lantern ring. The annual was also written by Bendis and was a funnish romp but until I looked back at it I had totally forgotten what happened.

Anyway there are a few fun bits in it and as Alexander says interesting to see those same time periods from the Millennium issues. At least the Legion was there this time. (Where is Rose by the way?)

Interlac translations

page 1 top

emergency
announcement
from legion
headquarters

page 1 bottom

superman
batman
wonder woman
aquaman
green arrow
black canary
hawkgirl
black adam
naomi

last page

to be continued

Nightcrawler #1014911 05/11/22 06:56 AM
Active
Active
Trying my darndest not to look or read any of the above spoilers! LOL!!! ...... can't wait to pick up and read my copy of this today! So excited!!! smile

In the present
Gaseous Lad Justice League Vs The Legion of Super Heroes #3 Review (Spoilers)
Nightcrawler #1014924 05/11/22 03:11 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Justice League Vs The Legion of Super Heroes #3

Released May 10, 2022
DC Comics, Color
24 Pages

The Gold Lantern Saga: Part Three

Brian Michael Bendis - Writer
Scott Godlewski - Art
Ryan Cody - Colors
Dave Sharpe - Letters
Editor - Michael McCalister

Synopsis

The Anomaly of Darkness between the 21st and 31st centuries is growing and the combined team tries to figure out what is happening. Batman quickly moves to try and find time-hopping criminals. The JLA team remembers the interaction with Epoch from the Annual who warned them that the Gold Lantern ring must be destroyed.

The anomaly erupts and the team is split. Batman and Cham remain in the 31st and are about to be arrested. Brainy, Mon-El and Naomi are stuck in the past with Kamandi. The Legion founders are in the Batman Beyond timeframe and meet Terry-Batman. Ultra Boy and Aquaman are in the distant past with the dinosaurs. Gold Lantern is stuck in a past Metropolis with an out of control darkness growing.

Commentary
(Spoilers ho!)

Just to put the bottom line up front here, the art is great - I really dig Godlowski's work in this series. The story takes another advance on the game board. Just one spot. Or more specifically, one spot on a forked game board, as now parts of the team have been split into different locations and been introduced to more characters (Kamandi, Batman Beyond). By the way, there is a HUGE chunk of the Legion (and a few Leaguers) we have zero line on at the end of this issue.

But its too slow. To put it plainly, the extra words that add nothing get in the way of a tighter plot. We're given a few extra tidbits here and there - the point of contention, or the "versus" in the title - is undoubtedly going to be Gold Lantern himself. But I feel like I should have been at this point by the end of LAST issue.

Don't get me wrong - I am definitely along for the ride on this, but a glacial pace after an extra month delay has not been helping things here. I think from here on out we are on a monthly cadence, so we should be ok in that department.

This issue also abounds in odd wording and a couple spelling errors that take me out of this. I don't know if I'm reading a bad dialogue or if something was written to sound "future" or its just bad. With an extra month to wait for this, I'd think these issues would be all taken care of. (Verbatim example quote from Brainy - "We the UNITED PLANETS SCIENCE COUNCIL and the SCIENCE POLICE analyzing everyting that's happening, Ultra Boy"). McCalister needs to do his friggin job as an editor here. Just because its Bendis doesn't mean he or the letterer don't make mistakes.

Some things work well - I thought the founders being in Batman Beyond Gotham was kind of cool (except for the very end). Batman comes off great. Some things don't work - Mon-El comes off as an ass yet again (for the love of grife, can we just not use that name with him? He's not Mon-el in anything BUT the name).

At the end of the day, I've been doing a lot of reviews of various Legion books over the last year on this site. Most of them require a decent amount of space to summarize the plot, at least the way that I do it. This did not.

Grade - B- I'm being generous. Saved mainly by the art.

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Re: Gaseous Lad Justice League Vs The Legion of Super Heroes #3 Review (Spoilers)
Nightcrawler #1014931 05/11/22 08:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Every issue of Bendis's Legion is saved only by the art.

Except Future State, but I'm biased because I hate Rossmo's style.

Re: Gaseous Lad Justice League Vs The Legion of Super Heroes #3 Review (Spoilers)
Nightcrawler #1014938 05/12/22 03:22 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
thanks for the review, GL!

I found it a bit interesting (and strange) that we are only getting 2-4 heroes in each group. I fear this means we will simply skip over a whole ton of Leaguers and Legionnaires, which is a shame - then not everyone gets focus. I suppose one way could have been to only include a smaller bunch of Legionnaires, to give everyone screen time (like the old JLA/JSA crossovers)...

Nightcrawler #1014943 05/12/22 04:59 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Godlewski's art is very good -- his style reminds me of Ron Garney.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Invisible Brainiac #1014946 05/12/22 06:22 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
Every issue of Bendis's Legion is saved only by the art.

Except Future State, but I'm biased because I hate Rossmo's style.

There's a lot to be said to have a really good artist on a book with mediocre writing. Re:Rossmo, I think his style suits Harley Quinn, but I agree, I very much disliked the Legion Future State.

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I found it a bit interesting (and strange) that we are only getting 2-4 heroes in each group. I fear this means we will simply skip over a whole ton of Leaguers and Legionnaires, which is a shame - then not everyone gets focus. I suppose one way could have been to only include a smaller bunch of Legionnaires, to give everyone screen time (like the old JLA/JSA crossovers)...

It makes much more sense to NOT include every Legionnaire from a story cohesiveness perspective, so why not do that from the jump? There is the possibility that the other Legionnaires and Leaguers will be revealed next issue, but that's yet another thread on the plot, further diluting the story.

Nightcrawler #1014952 05/12/22 02:37 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
meh, if the story had been tighter we could have had a page or two for each group until we got to everyone

still waiting for Shrinking Violet to have some lines tongue or Matter-Eater Lad

Invisible Brainiac #1014956 05/12/22 03:26 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
meh, if the story had been tighter we could have had a page or two for each group until we got to everyone

still waiting for Shrinking Violet to have some lines tongue or Matter-Eater Lad

I've basically given up there. Even though DnA had their dozen or so favorites, they at least a) could put together a story and b) threw a bone to other characters every now and again.

Nightcrawler #1014976 05/13/22 02:50 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
yeah, even for the ones not featured, just,. I don't know. A page with 5 Legionnaires trying to escape a volcanic eruption from the past or something like that...

as it is, I fear that when the gang does get back together, most everyone will just appear again without us seeing where they had been

Invisible Brainiac #1014987 05/13/22 09:02 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Yep, I think its gonna be a bunch of panels with founders + Brainy talking and lots of others in the background

Nightcrawler #1015539 05/31/22 01:39 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
As an example of what you folks are saying, while Lemire's Legion story in Justice League United had problems, at least we got to see everybody - sometimes multiple versions of them.

Nightcrawler #1015544 05/31/22 02:59 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
that is true... mainly in the background, but it was still nice to see folks like Kinetix Kinetix, Magno Magno, Monstress Monstress Computo ComputoII, Dragonmage Dragonmage etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,188
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Merlion Man
Merlion Man
Singapore