Roll Call
0 members (), 35 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by thoth lad - 05/05/24 03:56 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/05/24 03:49 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 03:36 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 03:34 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added EYEFUL ETHEL & SUNSWORD 5 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:51 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:13 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/05/24 01:11 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 130 of 186 1 2 128 129 130 131 132 185 186
Re: Legion Trivia 6
Invisible Brainiac #1017410 08/04/22 10:10 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I'm pretty sure IB's was the one I was thinking of actually, I got my wrong stories confused laugh

Invisible Brainiac #1017419 08/05/22 01:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
ah these star-crossed lovers

there was a Reboot Brainy / Matrix Supergirl story during Team 20, was that it? I remember a love potion was involved...

razsolo #1017420 08/05/22 01:33 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by razsolo
I'm pretty sure IB's was the one I was thinking of actually, I got my wrong stories confused laugh

great minds think alike wink

Invisible Brainiac #1017434 08/05/22 08:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Matter of fact I started to reply why this wasn't the incident when I realised I too was describing the one Ibby brought up!

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
ah these star-crossed lovers

there was a Reboot Brainy / Matrix Supergirl story during Team 20, was that it? I remember a love potion was involved...
Not during the reboot. Their first kiss happened long before any mentioned so far.

Invisible Brainiac #1017438 08/05/22 11:52 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
hmmm....it wasn't that time Brainy built a Supergirl sex doll robot in his sleep, was it? I know Kara saved him in the end, but I don't remember there being any kissing in that story

Invisible Brainiac #1017440 08/06/22 12:09 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Did Kara and Brainy rig the random kissing selector machine in the Silver Age?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
stile86 #1017443 08/06/22 03:51 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by stile86
Matter of fact I started to reply why this wasn't the incident when I realised I too was describing the one Ibby brought up!
great minds really do think alike tongue

razsolo #1017457 08/06/22 06:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
hmmm....it wasn't that time Brainy built a Supergirl sex doll robot in his sleep, was it? I know Kara saved him in the end, but I don't remember there being any kissing in that story
They did kiss but that wasn't their first.

The robot story was in Superboy #204 "Brainiac 5's Secret Weakness". Towards the end the real Kara arrived just in time to save Brainy from deadly radiation and he learnt how far his sometimes unstable mind had gone. Supergirl had come to the 30th Century to tell her friends that with her life so mixed up at the moment, not even being sure she wanted to keep being Supergirl, she just couldn't remain a legionnaire even part-time, "but someday I will return ... and maybe then ... you and I can pick up where we left off." The last panel has them sharing a farewell kiss. This is the image you might have seen where her cape is sort-of wrapping itself around Brainy.

Definitely getting closer but still have to go back further - although I will say the reason for their first shown kiss has similarities to this case. (Not the robot bit! Kara was far more "understanding" than Querl had any right to expect.)

thoth lad #1017458 08/06/22 07:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Did Kara and Brainy rig the random kissing selector machine in the Silver Age?
HA ha! No, that wonderful machine was in Adventure Comics #342 and was included to show how Star Boy didn't want to participate in the fun ("It's a riot!" says Lyle) because he is pining after Nura, which leads to his trial for murder (or at least manslaughter). Supergirl only appears in the guilty/not guilty verdict screen and Brainy is too busy playing a futuristic space battle game with Superboy to join in the fun.

You are however in the right era.

Invisible Brainiac #1017459 08/06/22 07:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
There was such a meeting and it did indeed end in a kiss in Supergirl v4 Annual #2.

This was the Linda Danvers Supergirl formed from a merger of Matrix and Linda, not quite the Angel she would become but still having faced some demonic villains. When her locale goes a bit crazy and wanting some help she calls Clark/Superman asking for the smartest person he knows, and he refers her to Reboot Brainiac 5 of the LSH during their 20th Century exile. Lots of shenanigans ensue, mostly at Brainy's expense, and although Mae flirts a bit purely for the purpose to get Brainy not to quit, they both rub each other largely the wrong way. (Figuratively! Not the other way!) In the end the problem involves a disruption of reality that can only be solved by statements of truth, so they both have to say what they are feeling and what they are afraid of. In Mae's case this is that she was leading him on, that Brainy was cute but not what she was looking for. Brainy admits his attraction to her and that his attitude is due to his self-hatred and his fear that he would be attracted to any powerful blonde haired woman. They are about to go their separate ways when Brainy asks what Supergirl is looking for, and she responds with a kiss and tells him with a smile "honesty".

I think this is the only meeting between these particular versions of the characters. Interestingly the next but one portrayal of the two is in Supergirl volume 5 Annual #2 where the post-Crisis Kara Zor-El had been accidentally thrown into the Original/Retroboot 31st Century very early in the Legion's history and spent some time there (this is after her visit to the Threeboot 31C which she finds strange), completing a number of the missions that the Pre-Crisis Supergirl did. Most of the story is about Brainy and Supergirl battling Satan Girl (a real demon this time) who has taken over Earth thanks to a mistake by Brainy. The interaction between them is fun also because although this is Brainy's first time meeting her, Kara had met the much older Retroboot Brainy during the "Last Stand of Krypton" arc just a few months previous which had been her first meeting him, so cross-time fun. Needless to say they succeed together and the Legion manage to return her to her own time whereupon she gives Brainy a kiss and tells him if he wanted to come back sometime and take her on a real date she would be all for it.

Invisible Brainiac #1017464 08/07/22 03:03 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
wow, you are such an expert, stile! thanks for these summaries. you've triggered my memory re the Matrix/Reboot Brainy story, which was a good one for both of them.

still blanking on the kiss though. maybe...

Adult Legion Christmas party, with adult Kara and Brainy kissing under the mistletoe?

Invisible Brainiac #1017467 08/07/22 03:54 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
That time they were going to write out Superboy? Only to rapidly reverse, possibly based on sales figures? The sky was green and the super teens had to leave. A strong contender for a goodbye smooch between the two.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #1017475 08/07/22 08:14 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
I totally forgot about that Supergirl annual with the other Satan Girl! I should look that up, I liked it when it came out!

Invisible Brainiac #1017496 08/07/22 05:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
wow, you are such an expert, stile! thanks for these summaries. you've triggered my memory re the Matrix/Reboot Brainy story, which was a good one for both of them.

still blanking on the kiss though. maybe...

Adult Legion Christmas party, with adult Kara and Brainy kissing under the mistletoe?
Not sure about the expert, maybe just someone with time on their hands.

The Adult Legion Christmas party is a good guess and does involve kissing under the mistletoe, but not Kara and Querl. That was that time that Supergirl decided she had to find a mate for Superman and one of her tricks was to "houseclean" the Fortress at super-speed and when Superman asked her how he could show his appreciation she told him to follow her into the future to the time of the adult Legion at Christmas. She then arranged for Superman to meet Imra under the mistletoe and they proceeded to kiss - twice in fact. No objection was raised by Imra but there certainly was one raised by Garth who wanted to know why Superman was kissing his wife twice. The two Supers hurriedly made their apologies and left.

A couple of other Legion bits from this story. This seems to be the first time a future marriage between Garth and Imra is mentioned, coming years before Shooter's adult legion and even before the fake "Weddings that Wrecked the Legion" or any of the Adventure stories like LL' s sacrifice for Saturn Girl. Secondly as Christmas gifts Superman and Supergirl retrieve an anti-gravity meteor from space which the legionnaires can use to create flying belts to replace their "bulky jets".

Even though the DC wiki lists Brainiac 5 as attending I can't spot him. No kiss between him and Kara.

Last edited by stile86; 08/07/22 06:32 PM. Reason: grammar
thoth lad #1017497 08/07/22 06:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by thoth lad
That time they were going to write out Superboy? Only to rapidly reverse, possibly based on sales figures? The sky was green and the super teens had to leave. A strong contender for a goodbye smooch between the two.
And we have a winner! Adventure Comics #350 "The Outcast Super-Heroes" has Superboy and Supergirl both summoned from the past to be informed that a ring of green Kryptonite now encircles the Earth in the 30th Century so they can no longer be part of the Legion. There are a few failed attempts to solve the problem followed by some parting gifts memorialising past adventures, and farewell kisses from Duo Damsel(s) for Superboy and a farewell kiss from Brainiac 5 for Supergirl - just before he performs brain surgery on the two with Violet's help to make their memories of the future go away (oh and they take back the gifts they had just given for the same reason). This has great art by Curt Swan including a close up head shot of our lovebirds kissing.

This is the first story I could find where they actually kiss.

The next is is almost two years later in Adventure Comics #368 "Mutiny of the Super-Heroines" where it is the (pictured) memory of kissing Brainy that snaps Kara out of evil Thora's spell. Only a memory this time but still depicted. (This should not be confused with the earlier "Revolt of the Girl Legionnaires" from Adventure Comics #326 where Kara uses the promise of a kiss to Chameleon Boy to trap him in a phantom like state.)

There are a couple of times when the pair are shown being physically affectionate (arms around each other and so forth) but the next kiss is not until Superboy #204 and the android Supergirl.

After that they frequently appear together on special occasions like weddings or even later during Crisis but no more for original Kara.

After that we have a couple of kisses between Brainy and the 5YL Supergirl replacement Laurel. First in LSH v4 #45 with the adult Brainy and Laurel when it seems they are about to be killed on a ship attacked by zombie Trommites and Laurel grabs Brainy for a last kiss - which after they survive she immediately insists never happened. Second in Legionnaires #8 when the SW6 legionnaires are on Colu and Brainy is being brainwashed to stay there but overcomes it by concentrating on his love for his friends and Laurel. The youngsters kiss as their spaceship flies away with Alchemist and Saturn Girl saying it's a good thing they are along to chaperone.

We then have the previously mentioned Supergirl Annuals with the kisses between Reboot Brainy and Linda Danvers/Matrix Supergirl, and between young Retroboot Brainy and post-Crisis Kara.

That's not quite the end. I have generally not looked at Elseworlds and imaginary stories but there is one more worth mentioning. In the Legion of Super-Heroes Bugs Bunny Special from 2017 Kara is in a magical coma but Bugs and Brainy manage to wake her, with an immediate kiss occurring (between Kara and Brainy, not Bugs). What's more the whole story is told twice in two very different styles (in two different realities?) so they actually kiss twice in the same issue!

That's every Kara/Brainy kiss I could find. Not many for such a long time period but then it was always a long distance relationship and such scenes were rarer in the early days. Were I to count up Jo and Tinya I imagine it would be more especially in the later years, but others like Mon and Shady are also likely to be low. Anyway it was a fun dive into Legion history and I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I did.

Your turn Thoth.

Invisible Brainiac #1017504 08/08/22 02:27 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
nice Q stile, and great thinking thothy!

Invisible Brainiac #1017753 08/18/22 12:21 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Bump Thoth

Invisible Brainiac #1017836 08/21/22 02:52 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
L.E.G.I.O.N. have successfuly, with the help of Lobo, managed to remove canine scientist Professor R' NT' NT' N from Khundian captivity. But what went wrong as they sped away from the Khundian ship with the scientist?

Invisible Brainiac #1017838 08/21/22 03:11 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Lobo revealed he'd had to decapitate the good professor because the bomb was connected to him?

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Invisible Brainiac #1017846 08/21/22 04:53 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Got it in one Ann!

After I posted the question I noticed it was an Alan Grant written issue. Lots of character sub plots, Lobo seems to get away with murdering pretty much everyone he encounters.

Over to you!

Invisible Brainiac #1017867 08/22/22 06:03 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks, Thoth.

I'll think of a new question very soon.

Invisible Brainiac #1017868 08/22/22 08:18 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
In LSH Baxter issue 37, Ayla exhausts herself charging up the time travel device. Which Legionnaire gives her a gentle shoulder-rub afterwards?

Invisible Brainiac #1017875 08/22/22 03:18 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Magnetic Kid?

Invisible Brainiac #1017877 08/22/22 03:56 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
No.

Invisible Brainiac #1017879 08/22/22 03:57 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Vi?

Page 130 of 186 1 2 128 129 130 131 132 185 186

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,130
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
walkwithcrowds
walkwithcrowds
Glasgow, Scotland
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star