Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:35 AM
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by stile86 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Is the Legion Being Written Out of LGBTQ+ Comic Book History?
#1018765 09/21/22 02:34 PM
A
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
A
DC is releasing a big Pride book for 2023.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-dc-book-of-pride-a-celebration-of-dcs-queer-characters-for-2023/
Discover the rich history of DC's LGBTQIA+ Superheroes in this inspiring gift-title featuring detailed character profiles and comic book artwork Written and curated by DC expert Jadzia Axelrod, The DC Book of Pride profiles more than 50 LGBTQIA+ characters in detail, including Harley Quinn, Superman, Nubia, Robin, Batwoman, Aqualad, Dreamer, Green Lantern, and many more. Discover their fascinating origins, amazing superpowers, and key storylines. This title is an indispensable and celebratory companion to the DC Pride comic books. With stunning comic book artwork and an exclusive cover artwork by renowned DC comics illustrator Paulina Ganucheau, this book is a perfect addition to the collection of any DC fan.

So...I'm not as old as the average poster here seems to be (somewhere between "retiring soon" and "haggard crone", no offense to anyone). But I am a middle-aged gay man who is aware of the long history the Legion has with LGBTQ+ matters. That for a very long time it likely had the largest gay fanbase of any superhero book, the queer elements of characters and stories stretching back decades, Vi and Ayla's relationship, the metaphor of Lightning Lord's backstory, Element Lad's everything, etc. The Legion already had me as a fan when I found it as a teenager but discovering its gay themes and history is something I've cherished. The Legion is more than just a superhero team I happen to enjoy. Its a part of my gay history, and the gay history of superhero books as a whole.

I may be pessimistic here, but...DC has released a lot of Pride stuff over the last few years, now that doing so is profitable, but I feel that the Legion (with its historically queer fanbase, and its queer legacy, and its envelope pushing, and its everything else) has been deleted from queer comic book history. This new Pride book is going to have 50+ profiles and I can't shake the feeling that none of them will be Legionnaires, and if there are they'll be shuffled off to the back of the bus alongside Fire and Ice so the newer, sexier gay characters can get the attention. These kinds of books are what get sold to upcoming generations, and I fear DC is establishing a queer history that will be horribly incomplete. I consider it a vital part of the gay history of superhero books. I don't feel that one could create a collected queer history of superheroes without acknowledging the Legion as an integral part of it.

Again, I'm not as old as most of you, so I wasn't reading the Silver or Bronze Age stuff as it came out. But from everything I've read about that era, for the longest time, the Legion was pretty much where gay DC readers went. But now its like none of it ever happened. DC doesn't mention it, or even seem to know the Legion's history.

Or maybe I'm just becoming a haggard crone myself and want the new kids off my lawn.

Thoughts?

Re: Is the Legion Being Written Out of LGBTQ+ Comic Book History?
Alexander #1018768 09/21/22 03:10 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I am hopeful that some Legionnaires will be included - and I share your concern that Legion fandom will not be recognized. the Legion has always stood for acceptance and diversity for me, and got me through a lot of tough times with struggling with my identity (ironically, I am a Reboot fan, and even with almost no fully-confirmed LGBTQ+ characters in the Reboot, the message of acceptance rang true)...

Alexander #1018770 09/21/22 03:43 PM
C
Substitute
Substitute
C
It's certainly possible, but I suspect it has more to do with the fact that the Legion hasn't been among the most prominent DC properties for years.
When the higher-ups agreed to a book like this, I wouldn't be surprised if it was under conditions like "at least 90% of the characters must be from the Batman books or show up in animation and/or TV shows, preferably in both".

Alexander #1018772 09/21/22 04:52 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I retweeted the announcement from the author, Jadzia Axelrod, when she posted it.

I said I hoped for Ayla and Violet to be mentioned, and she liked my tweet.

So there's hope!

supragirl #1018773 09/21/22 05:02 PM
A
Substitute
OP Offline
Substitute
A
I said I hoped for Ayla and Violet to be mentioned, and she liked my tweet.

So there's hope!

That's good to hear! If they do show up, I wonder if it will be the classic Legion. DC seems resistant to portraying any Legion but the current one.

Alexander #1018776 09/21/22 06:24 PM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Well, yeah, just talk to our own Sarcasm Kid who had some involvement in the Legions cameos in this past years Pride special.

He's posted on it when that was released, but I do know he was pushing for the OG characters, but editorial mandated the Sook/Bendis designs.

That being said, it was only cameos, no actual story.

But CAs point of present relevance is likely true. Add to that, the Pride special (as well as other specials) are designed to sell other current comics. But it is disappointing that their legacy isn't honored.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Alexander #1018800 09/22/22 10:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Early days, maybe the LSH gets in under the "and many more" category. Regardless, a bit of encouragement to editors/creators might be worth something.

Holy Cats of Egypt!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,182
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
brigort
brigort
PEI, Canada