Roll Call
0 members (), 16 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:51 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/01/24 03:50 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 05/01/24 03:08 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Set - 05/01/24 12:17 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:42 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Paul Levitz is writing for Marvel
#1020364 11/15/22 11:37 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
I thought of posting this in The 2nd All Avengers thread, but it deserves one of its own.

Levitz is currently fulfilling a life-long dream of writing the Avengers, with a 5-part miniseries titled Avengers: War Across Time, featuring the Silver Age roster.

The first issue is scheduled for January 2023.

Last edited by Ann Hebistand; 01/13/23 03:12 PM. Reason: Updating thread title

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Re: Paul Levitz is writing for Marvel
Ann Hebistand #1020367 11/15/22 11:45 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks for posting it. I shall be picking up at least the first issue. I didn't know he'd always wanted to write it. I can't imagine him anywhere other than DC. I can see his approach being a really good fit for the Avengers. Here's hoping.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ann Hebistand #1020370 11/15/22 11:49 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
I'm equally hopeful, Thoth. I also hope maybe they'll let him play with the Fantastic Four toy chest.

Ann Hebistand #1020377 11/15/22 10:53 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
I thought of posting this in the All Avengers thread, but it deserves one of its own.

Levitz is currently fulfilling a life-long dream of writing the Avengers, with a 5-part miniseries titled Avengers: War Across Time, featuring the Silver Age roster.

The first issue is scheduled for January 2023.

Oh wow, I was already on-board for this, after seeing that Janet and Hank would be present, but hearing that Paul Levitz is writing, I'm doubly excited!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Ann Hebistand #1020378 11/15/22 11:25 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
oh wow, Levitz would be a really good fit for old school Avengers! I'm glad it's just a mini-series because his last Legion stuff was a bit underwhelming, but it's exciting!

Also it's exciting just to see some old school Avengering, I think the train that Disassembled set in motion has well and truly taken us past where we're gonna get that feel in Avengers stories again in the main title.

I feel like he'd probably be good on a 70s era Fantastic Four story as well actually! Reed is basically classic Brainy with stretching powers anyway tongue

Ann Hebistand #1020382 11/16/22 02:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
That's good! I agree his last Legion series was a bit underwhelming, but also even at his worst he has only been underwhelming IMO, but never outright terrible. So this sounds good!

razsolo #1020387 11/16/22 06:00 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by razsolo
Also it's exciting just to see some old school Avengering, I think the train that Disassembled set in motion has well and truly taken us past where we're gonna get that feel in Avengers stories again in the main title.

I agree for the most part, but I did think No Surrender, the epic storyline which wrapped up the Mark Waid Era, was pretty decent old-school fun. I actually started out very skeptical because the Waid Era before that had been so lame, but it improved by leaps and bounds.

Originally Posted by razsolo
I feel like he'd probably be good on a 70s era Fantastic Four story as well actually! Reed is basically classic Brainy with stretching powers anyway tongue

And Ben is Blok with attitude. lol

Ann Hebistand #1020389 11/16/22 07:20 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
Yeah, I'm in. I agree with some of the other comments here where his last Legion wasn't great, but that was mainly at the end when there were outside pressures influencing things. Looking forward to what he comes up with!

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

Ann Hebistand #1020390 11/16/22 08:15 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Glad to see so much support and enthusiasm for Mr. Levitz. This could be the best thing to happen at the Big Two since Peter David was writing mostly for DC during the late 90s and early 2000s.

It occurs to me, Levitz also wrote what is arguably the best JSA ever, back in the 70s. I'd love to see what he'd do with Marvel's Golden Age characters.

Ann Hebistand #1020398 11/16/22 11:48 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
So DC gets Bendis from Marvel, and Marvel gets Levitz from DC?

Fans of either of those are going to think the other guys got ripped off. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Set #1020451 11/17/22 06:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Set
So DC gets Bendis from Marvel, and Marvel gets Levitz from DC?

Fans of either of those are going to think the other guys got ripped off. smile
This made me laugh. Good on ya Set.

stile86 #1020452 11/17/22 06:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This has peaked my interest. Avengers is a book I try to follow anyway but seeing what Levitz, a proven team writer, can do is intriguing. In addition he won't have the baggage that his last Legion stint had with being inevitably compared to his earlier run (well his second Legion run after his Earthwar attempt but you know what I mean).

Last edited by stile86; 11/17/22 06:54 PM.
Ann Hebistand #1021706 01/05/23 01:43 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Be sure to mark Tuesday January 10th and/or Wednesday January 11th on your calendars. That's when the first issue is out.

And a reminder to please post your comments in here, rather than The 2nd All Avengers Thread.

Ann Hebistand #1021709 01/05/23 03:40 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks for the reminder Fickles! Looking forward to it.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ann Hebistand #1022040 01/13/23 01:04 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Huh.

I have to admit I'm a bit underwhelmed, but it has a lot more to do with Alan Davis's art than Paul Levitz's writing.

For one thing, it isn't inked by Mark Farmer, but rather by Davis himself. In theory, this shouldn't be a problem. Davis inked most of his Outsiders stories, as well as New Mutants Annual 2, one of my single favorite comic books ever published. But that was back in the 1980s, and there's just no escaping that Davis is now in his late sixties, and that he's been doing comics for most of his adult life. His work here looks tired and murky.

Levitz's script is pretty decent, though, with lots of Easter eggs and some truly sparkling moments. The pace feels a bit drawn out (a recurring problem for Levitz from the Baxter Legion Era to the present day) but otherwise it shows enough promise to satisfy me and keep me buying anything he writes for Marvel (as I said earlier in this thread, I'd love to see him do for the Golden Age Marvel characters what he did for the JSA in the 1970s.)

7 out of 10 Taryns:

CalorieQueen X 7

Ann Hebistand #1022059 01/14/23 04:08 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
I had read the early Avengers stories only a couple of years back*. I was pleased that they didn;t bother rehashing much of the Spidey story right before this one, as it was one of the weakest for me.

On the other hand, I had reread the Ultimates only a while ago too. Battling one of their own through the streets of New York for most of an issue had a lot of parallels with that.

These Avengers are able to withstand a lot more punishment, getting up time and again to battle their foe. A repeat of a member coming in to save the day, resulted in it feeling, as Fickles said, a little drawn out
To be fair, Iron Man did appear from an appearance in the Silver Age, and it matches the continuity of the time. So, it wasn't jsut to pad out the panels. And thinking back, any number of comics were, or are slugfests. An Alan Davis drawn slugfest is still well worth sitting back and enjoying.
As it's a finite series, Levitz will be structured a little differently form what we'll normally have seen from him. So certian parts leading up to plot points, will have more or less padding as required to get us through the 5 issues.

Levitz gave us eary Avengers easter eggs, as Fickles also mentions, such as Iron Man's roller skates, There were also some darker moments, with the irradiated heart of one of them still a functional power source in Kang's time.

The plot, from what I recall, does fit nicely into the growing threat of Kang in the Avengers comics at the time too.
Fickles notes that Davis is inking himself. It does have a little less polish than when inked by some of his usual collaborators (because they are really, really good inkers). But it does have a looser feel to it too.

*Legion version of the early Avengers stories available at all good Legion World Bits.

Ann Hebistand #1022064 01/14/23 10:47 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Interesting you mentioned the Ultimates, Thoth. I suppose in some ways this is the all-ages version of that series' battle with the Hulk.

Upon re-reading the first issue last night, I noticed some subtle stuff from Levitz that I'd missed before. Kudos to him for hinting at both the darker and the naughtier sides of Janet and Hank's relationship with a refreshing lightness of touch. Levitz also shows that Hank has good qualities, making him the first to start cleaning up the Avengers' collateral damage, as well as the one who comes up with the way to defeat the Hulk. Finally, Janet's friskiness also synchs with a personal fanwank of mine: that she's secretly a cocaine addict.

Last edited by Ann Hebistand; 01/14/23 10:51 AM.

Ann Hebistand #1022075 01/14/23 06:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That was fun. I enjoyed how it had much of the feel of the original Avengers comics while having just that little bit of something that made it not feel dated as well. The artwork was enjoyable too.

Enjoyed reading your comments above. Male sense. Not much else to say. I just found it a fun read.

Ann Hebistand #1022084 01/15/23 04:32 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Interesting you mentioned the Ultimates, Thoth. I suppose in some ways this is the all-ages version of that series' battle with the Hulk.

Upon re-reading the first issue last night, I noticed some subtle stuff from Levitz that I'd missed before. Kudos to him for hinting at both the darker and the naughtier sides of Janet and Hank's relationship with a refreshing lightness of touch. Levitz also shows that Hank has good qualities, making him the first to start cleaning up the Avengers' collateral damage, as well as the one who comes up with the way to defeat the Hulk. Finally, Janet's friskiness also synchs with a personal fanwank of mine: that she's secretly a cocaine addict.

Finally getting to read the early issues, mae me realise just how dynamic Giant Man could make the panels. I'd pretty much just had COlossal Boy to go on, and that was done better by some artists than others. WIth such a small grup, Hank gets more panel time, and more occassions to see his powers used. This would be before the whole team descended completely into squabble mode, with Hank being part of that. He was probably still doing heroic things, but here, it's not right after a big huff.

Jan was uber flirty in the early issues. There's a little bit more of an adult follow up in a couple of panels here. Victorian Chaperone Lass disapproved. Well, Jan is a very social socialite. If she isn't I'm sure she knows plenty of people who do. The Ultimates could certainly have thrown that in.

Ann Hebistand #1022323 01/20/23 03:07 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Jan (and Tony!) were 100% doing the old nose candy when they were hobnobbing with Warren Worthington and Emma Frost at the Hellfire Club back in the day hahaha

Thanks for reminding me this came out y'all, I am gonna pick up a copy this weekend!

Last edited by razsolo; 01/20/23 03:07 AM.
Ann Hebistand #1022324 01/20/23 06:10 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
You're very welcome, Raz.

Looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

And you just reminded me, there's one scene from Avengers volume one, around the time of Hank's trial, where Janet lunches with Reed and Susan at a fancy-schmancy NYC place, and she says, "Excuse me, I have to go powder my nose."

Ann Hebistand #1022891 02/10/23 01:23 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
The 2nd issue of Avengers War Across Time has better art and lots of cute moments, including a cameo by a certain adorable redhead (I can't say who it is, the CAT has got my tongue.) But it doesn't move the story forward much, and it lacks the dense feel of the 1st issue.

CalorieQueen X 5

Ann Hebistand #1022898 02/10/23 04:24 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
And here's me having to go past the comic shop tomorrow...

Ann Hebistand #1024041 03/18/23 03:49 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Avengers War Across Time #3 is a return to form for both Levitz and Davis. I'd even say this is Davis's best art out of the three issues so far. Levitz gives us Easter Eggs such as the appearance of a minor character from my favorite Silver Age Avengers story. And I'm really savoring the way most of the Avengers just SOUND right, like they're icons again.

CalorieQueen x8

Ann Hebistand #1025600 05/10/23 10:13 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Avengers War Across Time has proven a pleasant diversion, but I'd be lying if I said my expectations weren't for something greater than that. I suppose that was inevitable, given the circumstances and the talent involved.

I give it an 8 for effort, but a 7 for execution.

CalorieQueen x7

Hopefully Levitz will continue to write for Marvel. As I said earlier in this thread, I'd love to see him write the old-school Fantastic Four (with an artist along the lines of Mike Allred or Tom Grummett or Dale Eaglesham or Erik Larsen or Ladronn) or the Golden Age Marvel characters (Steve Epting on art would be my top candidate.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,047
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
kidflash2fan
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
COMPUTO Jr.
COMPUTO Jr.
Remnants of father's labratory
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star