Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 45 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/27/24 08:36 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:38 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 37 of 49 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 48 49
Re: Xanthu Reborn
Invisible Brainiac #1020400 11/16/22 12:05 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

VOLUME 4: MOVING FORWARD

Cosmic Boy, Rokk Krinn of Braal; magnetokinesis

Legion Support Staff

Dr. Ryk'rr of Jaquaa; Legion psychiatrist
Mandalla, Tari Wahlmunn of Takron-Galtos; projects a thought-sphere that affects the target's mental and physical functions

Sandy Anderson of Earth; pyrokinesis (Legion ally and former Workforce member)

Dr. Ryk'rr adjusted her glasses as she peered at the young blonde in front of her. "Before you begin, Infer-"

"Call me Sandy," she replied flatly.

Beside her, Mandalla sighed rather loudly. Dr. Ryk'rr maintained her composure - she had dealt with much more difficult patients, after all. Counselling poor Splitter after he had - apparently rather badly - failed the Cadet test - had evolved into a series of discussions about him never having truly gotten over his first failed Legion application*, and the poor Cadet had bawled like a baby before achieving some sort of peace. Besides this, Sandy was not particularly trying.

"Okay, Sandy. I understand you're not completely eager to meet this patient of ours, but if you approach him with an open mind, you may just find something interesting about your own past."

"I don't care about that," Sandy lazily created a ball of fire in her hand, and began tossing it. Across her, Cosmic Boy tensed up. He had seen enough of Sandy's tantrums** to know she could be unpredictable.

Mandalla grit her teeth in annoyance, but held her tongue - Dr. Ryk'rr was much better at this than she was.

Dr. Ryk'rr peered over her spectacles. "Well, under the agreement you made with Cosmic Boy, this is the only thing you have to fulfill before all the strings are cut, so to speak. I'm sure it would be nice to go out and explore the changes in our time... without causing any harm to this young man who IS your cousin." Any doubts of that had been dispelled once Sandy had returned to the present and had grudgingly consented to give some of her DNA for a test.

Sandy stood up; the flame in her hand went out, but more came out of her ears. "Look, I'm going to see this guy that I don't know from Adam-One because Mister Goody-Two-Shoes over there asked me to! I don't want anything to do with him; I don't want to hurt him, but I also don't want ANY responsibility for him, got that?"

Cosmic Boy himself stood up at Sandy's outburst, but Mandalla motioned for him to sit.

"And you won't have any," Dr. Ryk'rr continued calmly. "That was not the agreement. It would not be right to compel you to have a family relationship with him." At this, Sandy relaxed. "But," the doctor continued, "it would be harmful if you were this blunt with him," she finished. "All I ask is that you calmly but firmly explain your reasons for not knowing him, and for not being interested in knowing him further. HIs mental state is fragile, and rejecting him too assertively could cause a violent reaction..."

"I'm fireproof anyway," Sandy growled.

"... and even if we subdue him easily, it would require an investigation - which would delay your departure," the doctor finished. She calmly leaned back and waited for Sandy to react.

The flames around Sandy had gone out. "Well, I wouldn't want to have to try and burn my way out of here..." she said thoughtfully. "Fine, you win, doctor."

"Splendid and wise," Dr. Ryk'rr nodded.

"Once you're ready," Mandalla tried to hold the contempt from her voice - this Sandy would never have lasted a day in the Legion Cadet program! "I will use my powers to put him in a calmer state. Then you can go in and talk to him."

"We'll be out here waiting -" Cosmic Boy began.

"Don't bother. I just want to get this over with," Sandy stood up and walked to the door.

Mandalla and Cosmic Boy eyed each other. "Looking forward to having her flounce off forever, too," Mandalla whispered.

Sandy eyed the blonde man who was now lying listlessly on the bed in the padded room in front of them. There was no chance he could see them through the one-way screen, but she felt a small knot in her stomach.

He was family, of the flesh-and-blood kind. He did look like a masculine version of her, somewhat.

But that was all.

She had no concrete memories, and felt no connection. Nothing.

It made her feel hollow, sometimes. But she tried not to think about it.

"Ready?" Mandalla asked beside her.

"Whenever," Sandy didn't even look at the green-skinned woman. She made sure not to gasp as a translucent green sphere enveloped the man.

"He's taking medication to calm him; and this will calm him even more. Remember, he..."

"I know," Sandy cut her off. Not noticing Mandalla's glare, she walked in.

The man sat up. "Sandy?" he asked. He nearly fell out of bed. "Is that really you? Cuz?"

"Whoa, slow down there, big boy," Sandy held her hands up. "Martin, right?"

"Don't you remember me?" The pain was visible on his face. " We used to play together..."

"Once a year or so," Sandy finished. She scratched her head - sprock, this was tough. "Look, I don't remember much from that time, but I know my folks didn't visit grandma too often. We barely saw each other. We were young, and it's not like we became best friends forever or something like that." Looking at how forlorn he was, part of Sandy wanted to kick him and part of her wanted to pet him like a little puppy.

She looked at his bed. "Can I sit?"

"Y-yeah. Please." As Sandy sat, she motioned Martin to sit beside her. He meekly followed and sat down.

"Look, the little purple doc told me everything. How you've been looking for family ever since you were orphaned... and how you became obsessed with finding me cause I was the only living biological family you got. Right?"

Tears flowed down Martin's face. "I hated being so alone..."

"You don't have to be alone," Sandy said. As Martin looked up hopefully, she almost felt like a heel for dashing his hopes. "Look, I used to feel that way too, then I joined the Workforce. I didn't exactly make friends there, but I was part of something..." she paused. "Then I left to hang out with the Legion, and got stuck far far away for my trouble***... and I met a few gals there, but nobody I could really call a friend. And now..." Sandy sighed. "Now I realize I don't need people around me to make myself feel okay."

Martin pulled his legs up. "What do you mean? Don't you want to hang out like we used to?"

"I can't even really remember what we used to do!" Sandy said, a bit more sharply than intended. Then she inhaled and forced herself to remain calm. "But what I'm trying to tell you is that I won't be any help to you. I don't like people, family or not. But I can see that you do..."

"But I don't want to force you to hang around me if you don't want to..." Martin began.

"Look, kid, it's not you, it's me," Sandy almost rolled her eyes at the cliche. But she pressed on. "And you... you seem like a good kid. And you're in a place full of good kids, if you get what I mean." She stood up. "It's not for me, and I don't get why some like it, but you could become a Legion Cadet. Those nerds are always blabbing about how much like family they are..."

Outside the room, Cosmic Boy and Mandalla looked at each other in horror. "We didn't discuss that!" Cosmic Boy pointed out.

"Although..." Mandalla stroked her chin. "Martin Anderson has been fairly calm while talking his anti-schizophrenic medications."

Cosmic Boy tilted his head. "Well, part of the point of the program IS to help sentients hone their powers and find their place..."

They turned back to the room to see Sandy patting Martin on the back. Then she stood up and walked to the door, pulling Martin with her.

"Hey, nerds - Martin here says he'll behave if you let him join your Cadet program. What do you say?"

"You're the Active Legionnaire," Mandalla whispered as she nudged Cosmic Boy. Rokk sighed to himself. "I'm going to have some explaining to do during the next membership meeting..." They opened the door to a hopeful-looking Martin and a smirking Sandy. "Welcome to the Cadet Program, Martin Anderson."

"Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!" Martin launched himself at Rokk, grabbing the brunette in a bear hug.

"I'll write to ya, kid," Sandy winked. "Now, I'm gonna go get hopped up on Silverale to pat myself on the back for my good deed for today!"

IB's notes:

1) Splitter made it to the final round in Legionnaires 43, but also failed the final exam there!

2) Cosmic Boy and Sandy were among the group stuck in the 20th century in LSH 85-100

3) Seems odd not to admit it eh? but the Legion decided to keep being stranded in the 20th century a secret! The official cover was that the team was on a secret mission!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 04/23/23 11:30 AM.
Re: Dreamer
Invisible Brainiac #1020467 11/18/22 09:20 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

Legion World

Chameleon, Reep Daggle of Durla; shapeshifting
Magno, Dyrk Magz of Braal; magnetokinesis
Rebound, Chuck Taine of Earth (Canada and Uzbekistan); inflates into a durable bouncing form
Sensor, Jeka Wynzorr of Orando; sensory manipulation
Ultra Boy, Jo Nah of Rimbor; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers and flight, but can only use one power at a time

"You hear about that stunt Infer- I mean, Sandy*, pulled?" Rebound asked Ultra Boy as they flew to the Threshold chamber. Well, Jo flew and Chuck bounced; ever since getting his powers**, he had been using them as much as he could. "Imagine, getting her cousin on the Cadet program like that!" Chuck's tone was bemused at best - after all, he had kept the Cadet program running while the charter Legionnaires were lost in the mutiverse***.

"Yeah, sounds like her," Ultra Boy chuckled. "She always gave McCauley nass when we were on the Workforce* together... And she was always thinking of ways to get the rest of us to do the nass she didn't want to do."

"I guess that's why we never offered her membership, eh? That, and her being willing to kill..."

"Yeah... makes me think, McCauley's army of lawyers must have kept her from being prosecuted somehow..."

As they entered the Threshold chamber, they saw Chameleon and Sensor approaching from the other direction.

"Well, nice of you to stop playing Espionage Squad for a bit!" Jo teased. "Tinya's been shuttling around the galaxy with all of you!"

"There's been a lot happening, Jo," Chameleon replied grimly. "I can't shake the feeling that something big's about to happen. And Mysa can't give us a clue..."

"Have faith, Reep," Sensor forced herself to use her hands to pull her hair away from her face. As Shikari had once told her****, she had these hands now, so she might as well use them. "Brainy's continuing to think about it, and our other Squad-mates are on the case."

"Hmm, you're right, Princess," Reep smiled. "And anyway... we have a mission to do."

"I hope you sentients don't mind if I tag along?" Magno descended. "I heard you were thresholding to Takron-Galtos, and I thought..."

"Of course, Dyrk," Reep smiled. Everyone had heard of Dyrk's brother Omar being held for attempted murder by now; and though Dyrk and Omar hadn't had the best relationship, it must still be tough to see one's brother in jail. "If you want company..."

"Thanks, Cham," Dyrk smiled. "Jenni offered too, but it's fine. I need some one-on-one time with my brother."

"Okay, but we're here for you any time, Dyrk," Sensor said gently. Jo and Chuck muttered similar words of comfort.

"Thanks, everyone," Dyrk smiled. "So... let's get going?"

As the six flew to the Threshold, Chuck crept up beside Jo. "So, Jo... um... does Tinya tell you everything about her Squad missions?"

"No..." Jo said carefully. "Why?"

"Oh, well, it's just..." Chuck seemed embarrassed. "Lu generally tells me everything, even stuff about Cargg... so it's just a bit weird how tight-lipped she is about the Squad..."

Jo laughed. "Ah, I get you. Tinya and I fought about it once. But it makes sense - the Squad members get a lot of telepathic shields and stuff, in case they are ever captured. It's Grade-A stuff, time-intensive, not something that makes sense to extend to the rest of us. So the less we know, especially about active Squad missions, the better," he winked. "Imagine getting kidnapped by Tharok or the Dominators, and revealing the inner workings of the whole UP council cause you get your mind read..."

"Oh yeah, makes perfect sense!" Chuck laughed, a bit sheepishly. There was nothing to be insecure about, after all. "Thanks, Jo."

"Any time, bud. Now let's scoot, we don't want to get lost in Threshold-space!" Jo grinned as he flew after their Kwai guide. Chuck followed, though his smile slipped a little.

Takron-Galtos

The prison planet of Takron-Galtos changes continuously changes and grows, in order to adapt to new inmates with unique physical needs. Its size has earned it a special status in the United Planets; simultaneously both a UP agency and a de facto UP world, invited to UP debates without a full vote in the process. - Encyclopedia Galactica

"Ah, Warden Wafil!" Chameleon called out, bowing theatrically to the purple-skinned woman who came out to greet the Legionnaires. Despite her white hair, she looked youthful, perhaps just a bit older than Shvaughn Erin or Rond Vidar. However, she carried herself with grace and authority; and had overseen Takron-Galtos through some trying times.

"Chameleon. We barely exchanged a word last time you were here*****," quipped the Warden. "That was when you still pretended not to speak Interlac, yes? So those words probably sounded like Freeble or something."

"Flibble, actually," Reep smiled. "Durlan for Hello, you look like someone important and capable!"

The Warden shook her head, though she did have a small smile on her face. "No need to charm me, Legionnaire, I'm not an Ambassador - just here to do my job. The prisoner you need has been prepped. And believe me, I've kept triplicates of the paper trail on this one."

"Triad would be impressed," Chameleon grinned. Rebound flinched a bit, to Sensor's surprise. She made a note to follow up on it later.

"I'm taking my leave, gang," Magno waved. "I'm here as a civilian today, after all." Upon the Warden's acknowledgement, he flew off.

"Well, the rest of you come this way..." The Warden motioned. "Mano may have a lot of patience... but I don't."

Magno tensed himself as the viewscreen opened. He was sat in a small room for privacy; visitors entered in one side, prisoners in another. A screen bisected the room, allowing someone on one side to see and hear - but not touch - the other. At the other end sat his older brother Omar. "O-" Dyrk began.

"You've got some nerve, traitor," Omar glowered.

"You kept trying to kill Gangster, even when the threat was neutralized," Dyrk continued, heart pounding.

"He was a criminal, and he tried to kill a cop!" Omar retorted.

"I was a Sci-Cop too!**" Dyrk forced himself not to stand up. "I know the oath, Omar! Preserve life, only use deadly force when necessary, and it was not necessary then!"

"Are you a judge too?" Omar spat. "You already did such a good job on the witness stand..."

"Well, you did a good job too," Dyrk settled back. "You got discharged, with no chance of returning to the force..."

"Yeah, you took everything away from me! Might as well take my magnetics too!" Omar smacked at the screen; the cuffs limiting his abilities weighed heavy on his wrists. "Don't you feel one bit sorry?"

"I still remember how much sympathy YOU gave ME when I lost my powers!"** Dyrk couldn't stop from standing this time.

"You still can't get over me being the best Magz sibling, can you?"

"You were only the most self-absorbed, arrogant, bullying narcissist!"

Both Dyrk and Omar were standing now, faces twisted in anger. Dyrk bit his tongue; this was not helping anyone. More calmly, he sat down. "Have... mom and dad have been visiting?"

"As if you care..." Omar grunted. Then, without meeting Dyrk's eyes, he sighed. "Yes. The usual: dad says everything will be fine, mom says she wishes she were in here instead..." He looked up again. "I stand by my decision, though. And if the Science Police don't agree... I just have to go somewhere else." He tapped on the side of the screen. "Visit's over!"

Dyrk watched as Omar stood up and turned away.

"You." Mano's voice was calm and cold as he watched the five Legionnaires enter the room. He tried clenching his fists inside the cuffs that prevented him from moving them; there was enough space inside that he could wiggle his fingers, but he could not touch the sides. "The Defenders of the UP. Or of that war criminal, McCauley. One of you even worked for him."

"Hey, that was a long time ago," Ultra Boy protested. "I didn't realize then how many weapons he sold."

"And as I recall, Mano," Sensor's tone was grim, "you've killed a few innocents yourself."

"Not on the scale of McCauley," Mano sounded calm.

"You've changed, Mano," Chameleon's tone was light and friendly, a contrast to his teammates' serious faces. "You started out wanting to avenge Angtu; and you turned against Tharok when you realized he was going to shoot missiles at Titan*******". Yet you rejoin the Fatal Five in the end..."*********

"Maybe the Five grew on me," Mano said.

"Or perhaps you were planning to turn the Five in after accessing this thing?" Chameleon smiled. Mano barely twitched.

You're on the right track, Sensor "sent" to Chameleon. Though not a true telepath, she could read reactions at a low-level; as Brainiac 5 called it, a secondary aspect of her abilities, that helped make her illusions more realistic. Keep at it.

Chameleon lowered himself so he sat directly in front of Mano. "Mano, if you tell us where this thing is, we can retrieve it and keep it safe. Tharok, Empress, Persuader... none of them will ever get it."

Mano remained impassive. "Only we Five can access it together. You're wasting your time, Legionnaires."

Chameleon opened his mouth to reply... but before he did, alarm klaxons began to ring.

"Riot!" Ultra Boy and Sensor said, simultaneously. "I felt a sharp wave of anger!" Sensor spat out. Training his penetra-vision around, Jo pointed. "In the cafeteria. Sci-Cops are on the way, but there are a lot of inmates..."

"Go ahead," Chameleon said, not even looking behind him. "I'll stay here. Mano and I can chat one-on-one."

Mano allowed himself a small smile as Ultra Boy, Rebound and Sensor flew out of the room.

IB's notes:

1) Sandy Anderson used to be called Inferno, but she gave up the code name partly because Dirk Morgna took it up, and partly because she didn't want to go into costumed superheroics anymore. Ultra Boy and Sandy were on the Workforce together until Jo left (LSH 72)

2) Chuck got his powers in Volume 3!

3) Volume 1!

4) Legion 21!

5) LSH 79-80, L* 36. Chameleon pretended not to speak Interlac so he could impersonate Winema Wazzo, and get then-President Jeanne Chu to confess to various crimes

6) After the Blight and the Rift and the disbanding of the Legion, Dyrk Magz (then still powerless) became a Science Police Officer for about a year. Omar's lack of brotherly love when Dyrk was depowered, was seen in L* 53 and 56.

7) Mano's story: tried to suicide in despair over mass death on Angtu caused by McCauley chemical weapons (which were used by warring factions on Angtu) (L* 19), tried to kill McCauely in revenge (LSH 63/L* 20), joins the Fatal Five versus the Legion, as he was told the Legionnaires were mass murderers but turns against Tharok when he realizes it's a lie (LSH 80)

8) Legion 15-16, the (rest of) the Fatal Five try to break Tharok out of jail so they can recover a "thing". It is implied to be powerful and/or useful, and only the 5 together can access it

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 11/18/22 04:47 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1020473 11/18/22 11:37 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Takron-Galtos

Rebound, Chuck Taine of Earth (Canada and Uzbekistan); inflates into a durable bouncing form
Ultra Boy, Jo Nah of Rimbor; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers and flight, but can only use one power at a time

"Magno, a riot's breaking out!" Rebound's voice was a mix of excitement and breathlessness.

"I can see that, Chuck!" Dyrk replied as he magnetically slammed an inmate into the wall. "I'm in the visitors' area!"

"Oh grife, do we need to help? Ultra Boy can ultra-speed over!"

"Not too many visitors here," Dyrk looked around. There were maybe a half dozen other civilians; and two guards. "I think we'll be fine." One of the guards was already ordering the civilian visitors over to one corner.

One of the inmates, a big hulking brute of a woman with red skin, ran towards the guard. She grabbed a chair, and raised it over her head.

"Hey!" Dyrk waved to call her attention. She scowled and threw the chair at him, which he dodged easily. "If you're here, you probably have someone visiting, don't you?" he motioned to the visitors, who were huddled against the wall.

"Mommy...?" said a red-skinned little girl. An older woman - probably the inmate's sister - clutched the girl. "Don't look, don't look..."

The inmate hung her head. The second guard quickly ran over and cuffed her, leading her away.

Magno looked around. "Omar, you okay?"

"Look out!" Dyrk heard Omar call. Turning his head, he saw a purple-furred feline man spring at him. Using his flight ring, Dyrk flew backwards, even while peeling off the metal strips on his uniform. He fashioned them into manacles that wrapped around the feline; the man fell to the ground with a clang, hissing all the while.

"Thanks... Omar," Dyrk said. Omar shrugged; he was standing, hands up, with other inmates who had surrendered. "You looked for me first. Fair's fair."

"I... I'll put in a good word for you after all this," Dyrk said.

"Whatever makes you feel better," Omar said. He still didn't meet Dyrk's eyes.

Dyrk sighed as he looked around. Why hope to repair a brotherly relationship that never really existed? He put Omar out of his mind as he swept the room to make sure everybody was safe.

"I don't know about you two, but this is exhilarating!" Rebound was all bubbly as he ricocheted into an inmate, then careened right towards another. "6 in a row over here!"

"Save some for me!" Ultra Boy called as he flew two more cafeteria staff to safety. "Only a few more there!"

"They will be safe with me," Sensor spread her tail out as far as she could, forming a barrier between the cowering staff and the rampaging inmates. She willed herself to focus; there was a lot of anger and pride flying around. Figures. When you have a bunch of hot-headed types in a large room, like this cafeteria... Out of the corner of her eye, she spied a tall, bald man with one eye running towards the staff. She flicked her tail just so at his leg, causing him to trip and crash into the wall with a yelp.

"Probably best to slow them down, though." Concentrating, she began to broadcast an illusion of blinding light.

"Nass!" "Sprock!" "What the frag?!" "Sprocking snake!"

"I resemble that remark," chuckled Sensor.

"Wow, what are you showing them?" Chuck asked as he bounced off the ceiling, using the leverage to bowl over a particularly large and broad Quothoni. Nadir, he recalled from the Legion files.

"Oooh!" Nadir toppled over like a stack of rock, flattening the four inmates standing behind him.

"Now I've changed it to total darkness," Sensor laughed lazily.

"You two are just too sprocking efficient," Jo said, half in jest, as he picked up two more staff members.

"We'll try to save some for you," Sensor chirped as she tripped a female Khund; the prisoner tried to stop her fall, toppling over a slim Talokian in front of her.

"This feels good!" Chuck exuberantly bowled over a muscular, trim prisoner who had shoulders even broader than Ultra Boy's. "Hah, those muscles aren't helping you now!"

"Chuck..." Sensor began. Jo was away, having flown off with the last of the staff; and none of the inmates was particularly nearby. She took a chance. "When Chameleon made that joke about Triad*, you reacted oddly... is everything okay between you two?"

Chuck fell silent as he bounced off a table. Using his flight ring, he ground to a halt mid-air. "Was I that obvious?"

"I AM a mentalist," Sensor said coolly. "Though I think even Brainiac 5 or Babbage would have noticed..."

Chuck landed in front of Sensor, facing sideways so he could keep one eye on the crowd, and one eye on her. "It's just that Lu... well, part of Lu... she always makes jokes about my big belly. And coos about fit guys when watching Love Planetoid. It's just..." He looked down, crestfallen. "I mean, pretty much all the other guys on the team are walking undergarment ads, you know?"

Sensor made eye contact, and at the same time used her powers to make it seem like she and Chuck were raving about Tenzil Kem's menu at Live Wire and Saturn Girl's wedding. "Charles, Luornu chose you for a reason. You make her comfortable... and Purple is the only one of her who does that, yes?"

Chuck nodded. "Sorry, excuse me." He picked up a tray and hurled it just so; it bounced off the wall and smacked an inmate in the back of a head. The man fell with a grunt. "Yes, Orange and Neutral always give her grief over it."

"And how do YOU feel about your own looks?"

"I... I never had a problem with it, though sometimes I think I need to work out and slim down and..."

"If you feel happy with yourself, and there are no health issues, why should you care?" Sensor rose up. "I'm accepting myself. Ferro accepted himself enough to want to take his mask off**, and now he can't. Even Candi made peace with her transformations*** despite other people calling her ugly. You shouldn't have to change yourself because of other people."

Chuck looked up.

Sensor pressed on. "And does Triad want you to change?"

"No," Chuck's eyes glittered. "She doesn't."

"There you go. Now, I think we need to get our heads back in the game," Sensor pointed at the mass of sixty or so inmates still on their feet.

"You saved some for me, after all!" Jo flew back into the cafeteria, grinning widely as he punched a six-armed inmate in the face. "Now it's time to rumble!" He gripped the arm of a being whose skin was made of interlocking plated armor, and flipped her upside down.

"Two silverales say I take out more than you do," Chuck smiled as he ricocheted into the fray.

Sensor smiled as she waded in. "I'll pay the Warden a visit to make sure the rest of the prison is clear."

*****************************************************************************************

"My teammates will go where you need them, Warden," Chameleon sent a message to the Warden. Then he focused his attention on Mano. "Do you think your fate is tied to the rest of the Fatal Five, Mano?"

"Tharok and the Empress would kill me in a heartbeat," Mano stared back. "Do you seriously think I will put myself in a position to lose any leverage with them?"

"They're locked up - "

"Hah! We've broken out, or been broken out, before," Mano laughed. "It will just take time. But why should I? My planet is gone, McCauley is dead****, what more do I have to live for out there?"

"You could find something, Mano, you could..."

"Chameleon!" Warden Wafil's face appeared on his Omnicom. "I've isolated the cafeteria, but I need you to help clear one of the visitors' halls - a small group of inmates have reached there, and I can't block it off!"

Chameleon sighed. "Warden, I can't leave Mano -"

"I'm sending six guards over there," the Warden's tone was commanding. "They can't fire safely into a crowd of prisoners mixed in with visitors. You're a shapeshifter, you can. Your teammates are all busy, too."

Chameleon sighed. "Fine." He looked at Mano. "We'll be back later."

Mano flashed his teeth. "Whatever you say, Legionnaire."

*****************************************************************************************

IB's notes:

1) Last post!

2) Legion Worlds 5

3) Candi was disfigured by a gene bomb, turning into Monstress (revealed Legion Lost 2). Her second transformation was coming back as Element Lass, in the climax of Volume 2!

4) McCauley's death was revealed in Legion 3, the work of Ra's al Ghul - who then impersonated him

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 11/18/22 11:37 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1020476 11/18/22 12:13 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Takron-Galtos

"Easy folks," Chameleon said gently as he cradled a pair of younglings into his arms. He sprouted iridescent wings from his back. "You ever fly with a giant butterfly before? It will be fun." The kids' sobbing gave way to excited laughter as he flew them to the other side of the room. As he did, he let his mind work. A riot, just as they were sitting with Mano... what perfect timing...

"My sister!" A slender young man who resembled a gargoyle - Cham had seen one at the Notre Dame Cathedral - pointed. "Please, help her!"

Reep chided himself on losing focus. He elongated an arm, thickening it like a mastodonian's trunk. "I've got her!" Putting himself in the moment, he began herding the rest of the civilians together.

Three hours later....

Rebound leaned back in his chair. The cafeteria was cleaned up again, and cleared of inmates. Non-security staff had all been given the day off. "Whew, that was tiring."

"Speak for yourself!" Ultra Boy laughed. "Felt just like the old gang days on Rimbor!"

"Not everyone has your ultra-energy, Jo," Sensor chided.

"Oh, it's fine, Princess," Chuck winked. "We're all individuals, and we should love ourselves as we are."

Sensor and Chuck shared a grin. Jo, puzzled, began to speak; but before he could ask, Warden Wafil, Chameleon and Magno all walked in.

"Thank you all again for your help," the Warden addressed the Legionnaires. "Nobody was critically injured, but I already anticipate a drop in visitor levels AND a summons by the UP Senate..." her face and tone showed what she thought of that.

"I'm happy to testify," Chameleon offered. "We've interviewed everyone AND reviewed all the securi-cam footage... there's no obvious breach in security." He sat down and grabbed a kono juice. "No obvious cause for the riot either, it's just like everyone decided to beat up the inmate closest to them all of a sudden..."

"I DID feel a sharp surge of anger," Sensor said thoughtfully. "I wonder if we had any emotion-manipulators on board? In any case, I'm happy to testify too."

"So am I, as an independent reviewer," Magno offered. "I saw that all protocols were followed."

"Glad you were here too, Dyrk," Chuck offered. "Too bad your day off was ruined, though."

"At least I got to visit my brother," Dyrk shrugged with a smile. "Could have been worse."

"So... we're also done with Mano?" Ultra Boy punched his fists together. "Did Cham weasel something out of him?"

"We tried," Reep sighed. "He wouldn't talk; makes sense, the other members of the Five need him alive to get that "thing" of theirs. And telepathy won't work, Imra and Mysa say they have magical telepathic shields, of all things... Nothing we can do about that."

Chameleon stared off into the distance as his teammates began to banter. Something was just too convenient about all this...

***************************************************************************************

Deep Space

Kono kept a wary eye on her companions as their ship flew through space. "We're here," she said abruptly. She looked around. "I don't see anything."

"That's why I'm here," hissed the Orandan snake. Well, Kono had figured out that the hissing was biological, and the voice she heard now was mentally broadcast. "I am one of the few Orandan serpents with mental abilities, after all... and that's why I, Slizz, the Snake." Facing outwards, the snake waved its tail... and a very tiny planetoid appeared.

Kono rolled her eyes. She herself was the Rat; all this mystical mumbo-jumbo made her head hurt. But if she got Sklar back... "Setting course to land," she muttered.

"Seven klicks north," said the Kwai female to Kono's right. She was the Rooster, though Kono thought she could have easily been the Snake too, with her armored skin and bug-like wings. "I can sense our path, now."

Kono bit her tongue. This whole trip had been insufferable; first, following Slizz closely through Takron-Galtos as the Orandan concealed them with her powers; Slizz nearly collapsed when she saw Sensor, Princess of Orando was there; but they had brought along that concealment orb thing or from the Luck Lords as backup at least. Then using a magical Totem to incite a riot by making inmates angry; sneaking into the room where the Legion had been interrogating Mano; and using the Pig's memory charm to figure out where the Fatal Five had hid the Serpent Crown. And then listening to the Kwai - Ckahuq - yammer on and on about paths and direction and placement and whatever. She had been tempted to phase-shift both of them into a star on the way... but they were needed.

She focused on landing their ship. Apparently, the Serpent Crown was one of the most powerful magical artifacts in the galaxy. Soon, soon, they would gather enough... She clutched at the anti-magical Orb the Pig had given them; it would dispel the enchantment the Emerald Eye had placed on the Crown...

She smiled a bit. When the Fatal Five finally came for the Crown, they would be left with a taunting message Kono would leave - anonymously, of course. Why not have a little satisfaction while they were at it?

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/04/22 04:21 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1020542 11/21/22 03:24 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
glad you liked the links! lol when I checked the dates re when I first started this, I was floored.. over a decade of my life!

It's pretty wild, I had the same reaction when I saw how long I had been doing mine! I only started my series to try and instill some self-discipline because I always fizzle out on new projects really quickly and now it's really the most committed creative endeavour I have done!

I get you on forgetting the fine details too...I am pretty sure I have changed background character names by mistake sometimes because I hadn't used them in like 5 or 6 years, and I'm sure Evolvo Lad's hair has gone from being brown to blond at some point laugh

On with the new instalments!

- flame shooting out of Inferno's ears when she's mad seems like such a Jeff Moy thing, I love it laugh

- I really liked the scene with Inferno and her cousin...you brought across really well how she's not as bad as she makes out, but she still isn't actually great at being a good person

- nice reminder that Jo and Inferno were on the Workforce together too

- and Jo came across pretty mature with his chat with Chuck...it's good to see he can respect that the Espionage Squad have to maintain some secrecy about the stuff they do

- hahaha was the warden's "I'm not an ambassador" line a callout to Ambassador Jeryl? laugh

- yay, Mano! Reboot Mano is definitely his best incarnation, it's cool seeing him again!

- Sensor's chat with Chuck was sweet....she was always so bitter after she got mutated we never really saw that side of her again in the comics; and Chuck's insecurity is VERY relatable!

- Kono! I dig the sound of this crew she's travelling with, sounds like they are based on the Chinese Zodiac? I am looking forward to seeing where they go from here, and I assume they are going to screw something up at some stage and need the Legion to save their nasses wink

Last edited by razsolo; 11/21/22 03:24 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1020551 11/21/22 07:33 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Raz, always a pleasure reading your comments wink kudos to you indeed for maintaining your wonderful fic - it’s a treat and a long-runner for sure

Glad you liked these bits! You got it right, it’s the Chinese zodiac, good spot - always wanted to do something with them

Yeah Reboot Mano was a complex dude, and I thrill he got shafted by DNA TBH - the previous creative team left him out of the Five in LSH 120-121 on purpose after all

Sandy is a treat, she’s genuinely decent but just has trouble with it wink

And i figure Jo has his hidden depths that need to be brought out

And sensor indeed was a voice of reason before her transformation wink

And glad Chuck came off well, I was worried a bit as he never really had those issues in other incarnations, but glad they came off realistic here !

Oh and the warden’s line was definitely a reference to Cham flirting with Ambassador Jeryl smile

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 11/21/22 07:42 AM.
Tryouts!
Invisible Brainiac #1020981 12/07/22 09:07 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Chemical Kid, Condo Arlik of Phlon; controls chemical reactions; informal media liaison

Hannah Wells of Earth (France and Mali); reporter

*******************************************************************************************

"Is there anything I should keep in mind before we go live, Condo? "I'm sure a lot of applicants will be nervous, and I don't want to exacerbate that." Chemical Kid wanted to shake his head. Hannah Wells' smile was much more genuine now, than it had been when she was known as Trudi Trusoe. She was also much more pleasant to work with these days, Condo reflected; as Trudi, she had been all about the big scoops and the drama.* As a budding reporter so many years ago, Condo had quickly learned to seek out better role models.

"We won't broadcast the actual tryouts," Condo smiled. "Other than that, you're free to speak to any Legionnaire or Cadet or Support Staff member you want... and of course, any applicant who agrees to speak with you..."

"... as long as they've been properly briefed," Hannah finished. "Thanks, Condo. It's good that you're managing the Legion's media relations. And how did you find Devlin?"

"Oh, he's totally eager," Condo laughed. "Like, mega."

*******************************************************************************************

Blizzard, Brek Bannin of Tharr; cold projection
Microbe, Drura Sehpt of Somahtur; generate and control harmful and beneficial microorganisms

Hotshot, Staq Mavlen of Shwar; breathes fire
Splitter, Floyd Belkin of Lallor; ability to detach his limbs from his torso

Devlin O'Ryan of Xanthu; reporter

Devlin O'Ryan was shaking in his boots. Here he was, in the Legion World welcome hall, introducing the coverage of the tryouts! "Wow, Microbe, this will be the first open tryouts, since, like, the one where Sensor, Umbra, and Magno joined!"**

"Well, not quite, Devlin," Microbe smiled. She didn't really like it, but appearing on camera often helped sentients relate more to her - a tactic that Chameleon had coached her on, as he had used it to get sentients more accepting of Durlans. "Those tryouts were for direct Legion membership. Now that we have the Legion Cadet program, these tryouts will be for that."

"Oh yes, of course," Devlin was almost bouncing up and down. "And am I to understand that accepted candidates will go into the Cadet program?"

"That's correct," Microbe nodded. "Of course, we do consider that some applicants will be skilled and experienced enough to deserve full Legion membership right away - any like that will be introduced into a compressed Legion course, focusing on our key processes, flight ring and equipment training, and the like. We hope that applying for the Cadet program instead, will help ease applicants' nerves. After all, many Cadets have used the program to learn about different options - and some have found that their paths lie elsewhere than with the Legion."

"That's right, that's right," Devlin babbled on. "And as a former Cadet yourself, what lesson from the program can you share with our viewers?"

"One has to learn about one's limitations," Drura smiled at the cameras. "When I started, I thought my powers would only work on organic sentients... but research and training has taught me to select microorganisms that can affect non-organic material, such as this piece of plastic..." she pointed at a plastic bottle on the table beside them. It slowly turned black and began to rot.

Devlin oohed and aahed, and after a few seconds Drura had to prompt him. "I'm not the only one who's learned from my Cadet experience, Devlin..."

"Oh yes, yes," Devlin stammered. "We have a few more guests here, sentients!" As he introduced them, Blizzard, Hotshot and Splitter flew in. Blizzard waved and smiled at the camera, and so did Hotshot; Splitter was a bit more somber.

"Blizzard! You graduated into the Legion together with Microbe, what can you say about the program?"

"It teaches us to use our powers safely," Brek smiled. "When I started out, I nearly froze half the class. Now..." With a theatrically flourish, Brek created a small sphere of swirling snow between his hands. "Control is very important. We work with sentients all the time, and we have to make sure we don't hurt anyone with our abilities."

"And I'm an example of someone who's graduating the program to go elsewhere," Hotshot grinned. Being in front of the camera came naturally to him. "I'm proud to announce that I, and my friend Stone Boy, are joining the Heroes of Lallor!"

Blizzard and Hotshot then explained that the Lallor team had forged an agreement similar to the one with the Amazers; the Heroes of Lallor become Reserve Legionnaires, and get first pick of graduating Legion cadets who cannot, or do not want to, join the Legion.

"As most of the work on Lallor is on-planet, my fire powers will be much more useful there. No limitations with sending me into space," Hotshot finished. He glanced over at Splitter expectantly.

Splitter looked up with a small smile. "I'm also happy that my time with the Cadet program has taught me a lot... I've honed my skills here and met sentients from all over the galaxy," he continued. "I'm... happy... to go back to Lallor to serve and protect my people."

Blizzard and Microbe looked at each other; Splitter had insisted on speaking to Devlin, but he was still clearly disappointed about not continuing with the Cadets.

Devlin thanked the heroes before him. "Isn't it great, folks? We'll be back later for more coverage of the actual tryouts!"

As the cameras switched off, Blizzard and Hotshot approached Splitter. As Drura saw this, she went to Devlin.

"Hey, Floyd? Thanks for joining us for the interview," Brek began.

"I think it's super cool we'll be working together on Lallor," Staq smiled.

"Yeah..." Floyd said quietly.

"Hey, I know we're not joining the Legion," Staq continued. "I mean, it was a tough pill to swallow, realizing that my fire-breathing isn't quite as good as Inferno's powers... he can shoot plasma, after all... But we'll still be Legion Reservists, you know?"

"You'll still be a part of the Legion," Brek smiled quietly.

"Yeah, you guys are right," Floyd sighed. "I mean... being one of Lallor's primary protectors is still a big thing, you know..." He looked down for a bit, then looked up gratefully. "So... you wanna grab lunch?"

Brek and Staq smiled. "I'll get Drura AND Dag to come with," Brek said happily. "Let's toast, to new beginnings."

"And with Thresholds, we can still visit often," Staq winked as they headed to the cafeteria.

******************************************************************************************

IB's notes:

1) "Trusi Trusoe"'s epiphany came in Legion 35-38
2) Legionnaires 43!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/11/22 04:39 AM.
Tryouts!
Invisible Brainiac #1021034 12/09/22 12:21 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Amp, Ming Sul of Earth (Korea and Taiwan); amplifies the natural abilities of self and others
Nightwind, Berta Skye Harris of Earth (Iceland) and Enwa; wind and air manipulation, enhanced vision

Lamprey, Tayla Skott of Earth (Maldives and Palau); underwater survival; hydrokinesis (Legion Cadet and Reservist)

Checking her image in the holo-mirror, Lamprey said a quick prayer as she prepared to leave her bedroom. Today was her chance to show the Legion how much she had grown. She...

She nearly jumped as the door opened to show her friends, Amp and Nightwind. Tayla scolded herself mentally - she was ready, she knew she was! Why was she being so jumpy?

"I know that look on your face," Berta reached out to touch her friend. "I know you'll do well later, Tayla."

"I only wish we didn't have to wait so long!" Ming was bouncing up and down. "I mean, I GET that we might get an applicant who could be ready to join right away, but..."

"I can wait, I've waited this long," Tayla sighed as she hugged her friends close. "Thank you both, thank you so much!"

Berta and Ming hugged her back.

Gravity, Tel Vole of Earth (Cambodia and Thailand); gravity manipulation

Density, Jed Rikane of Earth (Mongolia and Nepal); controls his body's density (Legion Cadet and Reservist)

"I know you'll do fine," Gravity said as he paced back and forth in front of his husband, Density.

"Tel, we've talked about this..." Jed began. "Even if I don't make it..."

"But you will!" Jed leaped up. He grabbed his husband's hands. "Jed, you have to believe in yourself!"

"Tel! You're not listening!" Jed said, a bit testily. Softening his voice, he pulled his husband closer and held onto his face. "Mandalla, Cannus, Theena... they've all found permanent places with the Legion support staff... I can stay here on Legion World as one of those, if I don't make it."

"I know!" Tel stamped his foot angrily. "But you're acting so fatalistic! You should be more confident in yourself, Jed!"

"I am!" Jed stood up; being a head taller than his husband and nearly half as wide, he seemed to loom. Tel stepped back involuntarily. "I'm just saying that even if I don't make it today, I can stay here! I'm not as catastrophic in my thinking as you are, Tel! Why can't you understand that!"

Tel staggered back. "But Jed, I just... it just seems like you're not trying because you think nothing bad can happen!"

Jed inhaled. Then he sat down on the bed with a big bump. "Tel, sometimes you act like an overbearing parent, instead of my husband. And it hurts."

Tel began to tear up. "I just want what's best for you, Jed."

Jed stood up. "So do I, Tel. I wish you trusted me when I say I do, though."

"I... I..." Tel stammered as tears began to fall from his eyes. "I don't understand..."

"Maybe if you listened, you would," Jed turned away from Tel, and walked towards the door.

"Wait...!" Tel ran over and tugged on Jed's arm. "Please, I want to understand, okay?"

Jed turned to him, and took in the sight of his vain, normally perfectly-groomed husband with his hair in disarray and tears running down his face. How could he stay mad at that sight? He resisted the urge to laugh, even. "Oh, Tel... I know you mean well." He enveloped his husband in a hug. "Look... let's talk about this later, ok? I know you're just being high-strung..."

Tel rested his chin in Jed's shoulder. "Grife, I'm being stupid, aren't I? You're the one trying out, and I'm the one acting like a headless elvabird..."

Jed stroked Tel's hair - something he normally wouldn't be able to do without Tel throwing a fit - and smiled. "It's just who are you, my little bunny rabbit. I just want you to respect who I am, too."

Tel played with Jed's earlobe. "I do, my big buff bear, I do. I swear I do."

The two spent the next two minutes holding each other close.

Wildfire, Drake Burroughs (energy gestalt of two beings). Anti-energy being.

Sizzle, Teela Spuunvll of Abaddonus; absorbs and redirects energy
Tellus, Ganglios of Hykraius; telepathy and telekinesis

Wildfire looked at Sizzle and Tellus, who were sitting across him and watching the coverage from Hannah Wells. "Both of you are sure you won't be applying today, eh?"

Sizzle shook her head and smiled. "I know my limits, Wildfire. I didn't even score as high as Density and Lamprey did last time... I know I was a tier below them. I don't feel ready, you know."

Wildfire motioned. "Though you DO know you're getting better at drawing ambient energy, right?"

"I know," Sizzle smiled as she raised a finger. A bit of lightning crackled around it. "Like how I'm drawing light energy from this well-lit room... But I think I need a bit more practice." What Sizzle didn't voice out, was that she partly felt that way because of how much skill other energy-casting Legionnaires had now... she knew she was still a bit out of her league.

Fair enough," Wildfire nodded. He didn't mention it, but the strain on Sizzle's face was visible... and the tiny jolt of electricity she produced probably wouldn't even tickle a Hovering Hyacinth. Still, weeks ago she couldn't even manage that...

"And you, Tellus?" he gestured to the other Cadet in front of him.

"I... am... still..." Tellus shook himself, as if clearing his head. Wildfire sighed inwardly; despite being telepathic, Tellus was still so slow in communicating his thoughts. "It is still... very... overwhelming... for me... at times," Tellus finished. Wildfire nodded in understanding. "Well, that is the point of this program," he continued. "Just take all the time you need."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/11/22 04:39 AM.
Re: Tryouts!
Invisible Brainiac #1021109 12/13/22 07:25 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey IB, so sorry for falling so far behind!

So, from 7th Nov onwards, here goes:

Joine EartGov. get well paid and bring in the babes - hahahahaha! Is that one of Triad's selves flirting with poor Evert? The Espionage Team are on manouvres! Fabbo smile

Was the 'little tramp' on Rimbor Zoe? Searching for Tinya's wayward dad? And the Luck Lord being sent to his room is hilarious!

Ahh, so they are looking into the thefts of magical objects. You've had this plot bubbling away for a while so it's great to see it get more traction. And Sensor not knowing what to do with her arms when relaxing was cute.

Nice characterisation for Troy - he's a good egg. much better fit than the tradition Angry Young Man that he's suffered under. I'm enjoying Radion being snippy btw, these things always seem to pop up in groups so it's good to see even superheroes on space missions can be asses too. I love Element Lass, you have kept Candi's nature which is always great.

Nice interaction between B5 and Zaron - "the process would be thoroughly unfavorable." ah, yeah, that smile

Xao making reparations by teaching - nice! His affection for Mysa and apprehension of Dirk was well written.

Cannus speaking like Scooby Doo is hilarious! And Karate Kid showing his skills at not-punching things was nice.

That's huge team! And nice that you give everyone something to say or do! Is Brek a drinker in every version? Nice too that Jazmin let's Querl call the shots here wthout any ego-drama.Drake's show of empathy at Sizzle's impatient was sweet, he isn't always a hot head afterall.Nice differentiating between the psychics on the team, it's easy - and something I know I've done - to just see telepathy as being the same for everyone. And joining together the six Legionnaires was a clever. Thankfully the essence of Dryad wasn't angry at their intrference for long and was rational enough not to just say "sod you, I'm coming back."

That was a nice solution to that mission IB, the team using brains and compassion to stop the situation getting out of control.

And I've ran out of time, sorry, I'll finish reviewing your work later in the week.

This was great, you have such a good handle on the team it's always a delight to read your fic's,

More, more, more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #1021110 12/13/22 09:42 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Harbi! always a pleasure to read your comments, thank you! and please, no apologies needed for falling behind, real life happens (thanks for writing to me about it), and your comments are worth the wait!

Indeed, it was one of Triad's selves flirting with poor Evert smile the little tramp on Rimbor was actually Sussa (her long hair was hidden by Sensor's illusions, and she also kept it up to avoid anyone tripping over it) tongue I do think Zoe could have pulled it off acting-wise, but Zoe's not part of the Espionage Squad, so it fell to Sussa wink

Tinya's dad was caught and is still on Takron-Galtos, but there was that artifact he was using to hide himself - the Squad was trying to trace where he got it, as it disappeared (actually, stolen by Kono smile )

alas, I cannot take credit for Scooby-Doo Cannus, it was a canon thing (check out Legionnaires 43 as an example smile )

tee-hee, what IS it with Brek and drinking!

one of the things I like about Jazmin is she's no-nonsense, so no chest-thumping here, she knows Brainy is smarter than she is (at some thhings tongue )

indeed, your own work inspired me a bit to differentiate between the various telepaths smile

thanks a ton, glad you liked the various character bits!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/13/22 09:52 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021171 12/16/22 07:33 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Back for more, yay!

Echo is such a decent guy, isn't he. Though I'm with Pete - I would want t see a panet being formed too! Nice use of both their abilities btw.

Also nice scene with Particon and Radion - I don't know these characters but like how you write them. Particon in particular is compasionate enough to go talk to him but strong enough to set out her stall and not take his rubbish. Still, we've all felt what Radion feels too, left behind and annoyed at ourselves for missing opportunities.

Mysa and Xao, they have an interesting relationship - was she his mentor in the reboot?

Pig and Rat? Chinese zodiac? Interesting.... and happy to see Kono hasn't been forgotten.

I do love a bit of Imferno, she's so willful and unafraid it's always fun when she's in the mix. You're showing this side of her well while she's in the doctor's office bit it's touching that you mention that she feels 'hollow' at the lack of familial concern she feels towards her cousin, good characterisation there. Also, I love how she dealt with her cousin - straight talking but offering him a solution, that co-incidentally will inconvenience the Legion. That gave me a smile.

Nice explanation why the Espionage Squad don't talk about their missions. Perhaps that's not the only reason they don't talk about their potentially illegal activities, but a good one anyway smile

Got to love a good Encyclopedia Galactica entry!

Reep and the Warden - cute exchange between them. That wasn't the best of meetings between Magno and his brother, and Omar saying "if the Science Police don't agree... I just have to go somewhere else." - is this him plotting something? A potential LSV'er perhaps? Afterall, the Ranzz's shouldn't monopolise having a psycho sibling, should they? Mano in the reboot was a grey character then? Not the full on crazy s other boots? And Reep trying to get him to open up a bit is interesting - not sure what the thing is, though am sure you'll evetually reveal all. A riot? Just as the team arrive? That's a bit of a co-incidence...

Magno dealing with the red-skinned woman was well done, and then needing to get a bit more physical with the next rioter as they clearly not going to talk showed how smart he is - all that SPand Legion training paid off. Sensor and Chuck are great together, having fun dealing with the rioters - and of course nice illusions to give the team a clear advantage. Though is mid-riot the best of times to start asking personal questions? Haha Love Plaanetoid - ghastly to think Love Island format will survive but let's be honest it probably will...

Nice banter between Chuck and Sensor, and like Reep I too think it's all too convenient that the team go to speak to Mano and everyone gets angry enough to riot. Looking forward to wherever you are takin us with this.

Ah, so it was Kono and crew all along. Interesting that Sensor couldn't see through Slizz's illusions - so they can affect each other? And leaving a note taunting the Fatal Five is a brave move! I'm really looking forward to finding out if Kono ever gets Sklar back or if she's being used. And I wonder who is behind all of this - Mordru is the obvious suspect but I'm looking forward to finding out what you have planned out.

Nice to see Condo again, I forgot he used to be a reporter in the reboot, so nice nod to that. And you have Devlin too, sweet, I liked him in the 5YL canon. Nice to see Staq and Dag are getting to be full heroes - albeit being on Lallor. Great conversation between Tel and Jed too, highlighting how different their personalities are. I hope Jed does get in, just because I like him, though it would make for a more interesting story if he ddn't - what would Tel do? Drama!! Wildfire being supportive of te cadets is a nice nod to canon, and Sizzle's doubts, while understandable are not accurate to me - of all your cadets so far, she's the one I think will get in.

And that's it! I thought there was more, but guess I'm going to have to wait frown

Really looking forward to where you take the Kono story, and finding out who will be your new Legionnaire/s.

Keep going IB, you know you hve adoring fans desperate for more, more and more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #1021173 12/16/22 12:43 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Hi Harbi, thanks as always for your detailed and thoughtful comments!

original Troy's angry depiction always annoyed me, I like writing him as the thoughtful, competent guy that he is here wink and I'm with Pete too - thankfully, they'll get to watch the tapes (not that the rest of the team saw much, considering all the darkfield protection they needed tongue )

Mysa did indeed mentor Xao for a bit in the Reboot - she enlisted him vs. Mordru in L* 46-52, and helped him regain his magic in L* 71-74

you raise an excellent point about the Espionage Squad, a lot of the things they do are most certainly illegal tongue but Lyle and his Earthgov spy roots are very sneaky...

yup, Mano in the Reboot had a bit of color to him, I did like that characterization of his!

Slizz did have the benefit of a magical artifact to help conceal from Sensor

Glad Sizzle made an impression on you! I guess I made her more competent and level-headed than I thought wink

and don't worry. whether or not Jed gets in, he and Tel are so different that there will be plenty of drama to go around as long as they remain a couple wink

and hopefully the next part won't be too long!

thanks tons Harbi, really appreciate it!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/16/22 12:45 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021271 12/20/22 06:45 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Gates, Ti'julk Mr'asz of Vyrga; opens teleportation disks
Triad, Luornu Durgo of Cargg; triplication

Brawler of Moxie; super-strength and durability, can mind-mesh with machinery to control it
Chlorophyll Kid, Ral Benem of Mardru; plant manipulation
Crystal Kid, Bobb Kohan of Earth (Brazil and Peru); crystal generation and manipulation
Rainbow, Dori Aandraison of Xolnar; rainbow-based light powers
Retro, Deen Toro of Retcon; touch-triggered ability to rewind time, but leaving those affected with a memory of "future" events
Vision, Rhent Ustin of Earth (Egypt and Spain); microscopic, telescopic, heat, freeze, and hypnotic vision

"Ral," Triad began gently. "Are you actually comfortable in combat situations? Or are you just sticking to the Cadet program because you're the last one of the former Substitute Heroes* - except for Rainbow - still in it?"

Ral Benem twitched in his seat. Even when had been were stationed in Guyana under Blizzard's and Night Girl's leadership and training, he had been the wariest and most shy of the team during sparring sessions. "I... Miss Luornu, I..."

"You don't need to call me miss, Ral," Triad said gently. Only Orange was here today; the Luornus had agreed that Orange's gentle touch was needed, especially considering their co-interviewer...

"Have some more respect for yourself, Ral!" Gates snapped as he leaned forward. "You've done excellent work on all of our missions to help out with cases of famine, or deforestation, or anything!" He gestured wildly. "I stay in the Legion because I'm used to combat, but you're clearly not - think of all the good you could do, working full-time on relief missions!"

"I... sorry Gates, I..."

"I'm only saying this because you're excellent, Ral," Gates continued. "And you should have known me long enough to know that I don't give faint praise!"

"It's true, Ral," Orange smiled. "Please understand, the main reason we didn't score you higher in the last tests was your reluctance... in combat situations, you have to think fast. But on relief missions, you will have time to plan and consult, and you will have far less immediate violence to deal with."

"These play to your strengths, Ral," Gates added. "You get to help people in a thoughtful way."

Ral looked down, then slowly smiled. And this would mean he'd have more direct involvement with the Legion...

"Okay, sign me up," he smiled goofily.

Triad stood up as both Ral and Gates left the room. It had been tiring, but the Legion had made sure to take care of their current Cadets first. Each of them had gotten a counselling session to discuss options. Most had decided to stay; after all, many of the lower-scores in the last test, such as Crystal Kid, Vision and Comet Queen, had sufficient powersets to make it to active Legion membership, if they improved their battle tactics and teamwork. A few, like Chlorophyll Kid and Cannus and Theena, were better-suited for supporting roles within the Legion, and had been placed as such. And a very few others had chosen to pursue completely different paths, like Zaron Lux or Yera Liggle. Speaking of, Yera's new holo was coming out next week...

She scrolled through the Cadet list. Two more were left, and both had been marked as remedial cases. Brawler was too arrogant and unable to work with others. Retro displayed extreme cowardice, and lied about it. She wasn't looking forward to speaking with either of them...

"Yes, yes, I'm finally where I deserve to be!" Brawler flexed for the crowd as he stood on the podium; he had meticulously shaved his stubble for this occasion. Waring his newly-tailored costume, he watched as his new teammates, the other Legionnaires, applauded along with the crowd. After destroying everyone else's scores during application, and even beating a few records of current Legionnaires, everyone knew this was where he had to be. Kinetix was swooning, and Apparition was gushing, and even Andromeda blushed when he looked at her. Finally, he was where he belonged...

... and he woke up. Another dream. He chuckled as he looked at his reflection in the Omnicom. In one hour, he would tell the Legion about his intent to apply for the main team today. Sizing himself up in his holo-mirror, he smiled. With these good looks and his powers... he tapped on his console, letting his mind meld with it, and telling it to switch on the lights.

He was ready.

Retro poked glumly at his food. Knowing that he was the bottom-scoring Cadet had weighed heavily on his mind. But he had panicked, and lied about it, and thought he had nearly gotten some Legionnaires killed. Many of the others had made mistakes in battle, but he was the only one who had lied...

"Are you well, Retro?" Retro nearly jumped as Vision sat beside him. He forced himself to look at Vision's four big, red eyes; though he was wary that if his classmate lost control, he could be fried by heat vision... "Just thinking, Vision."

"About your next move?" Vision cocked his head. "Crystal Kid, Rainbow and I talked about it a lot, and we all decided to stay... our powers are unique enough to possibly get us in, if we improve."

"We're definitely improving," Crystal Kid sat down, a satisfied look on his face. "Last time Wildfire blasted at me, I didn't even flinch!"

"Rebound showed me how my scores went up, too!" Rainbow's aura was painfully bright with excitement, and Retro looked away in annoyance.

"But none of you are applying today, right?" Retro cocked his head. Crystal Kid scowled a bit, Rainbow scrunched her lip, and even Vision blinked. "Well, you know the only ones invited to apply today were the ones who scored in the first two tiers during that VR room test, right?" Crystal Kid's tone was rather testy.

"So, that leaves Density and Lamprey, who ARE applying, and Sizzle and Tellus, who are not," Rainbow sniffed as she dug into her pudding. "And what about you, Retro?" She smiled, a bit too much and too sweetly. "I know most of us are planning on slugging it out as Cadets - though I hear Tomb just accepted an offer to join the Legion medical staff. But the rest of us rejected offers for various Legion departments. Bobb and I thought joining the Laboratory staff would be super boring."

"I hear Sarge Stuffypants was really sad Vision didn't join Search & Rescue," Crystal Kid snickered.

Retro tried to hide his blush. Each of them had gotten some sort of offer? All he had gotten was a talking-to from Kid Quantum about being honest to your teammates... and he didn't even get to join some backwater super-team like the Heroes of Lallor, not like that spaz Splitter!

"I'm.... not hungry anymore..." Retro stood up, grabbed his tray, and left without a word.

Bobb, Dori and Rhent looked at each other awkwardly. "I was just trying to make conversation," Dori shrugged.

"You did pry a bit, you know," Rhent said, looking at Retro as he left.

"He did bomb our VR test really badly," Bobb shrugged. "And he also lied about what he did, unlike Cannus."

The last thing they heard was a slam, as Retro exited the cafeteria.

"You will regret this!" Brawler smashed his fist on the desk separating him from Triad.

Triad folded her arms and stared at Brawler. Though it was Orange, she knew how to deal with temper tantrums. "Your reaction shows our decision not to allow you to test was correct," Triad continued. "Now, leave my office or I will have you escorted out."

Brawler grit his teeth. He kicked at the chair he sat on, and stomped to the door. He slammed his fist on the panel, willing it to open. "I will make the whole Legion pay... my dream will come true, I saw it!" As he stomped out, he saw that pipsqueak coward Retro blinking at him, mouth open.

"What are you looking at?" Brawler shoved Retro to the side. The pale young man landed on the floor, grunting in pain.

"You nasshead!" Retro spat. But Brawler was already walking away. "My dream... it must be true!"

"Are you okay?" Triad asked as she bent down to help Retro, glaring at Brawler as he walked away.

"Yes ma'am..." Retro stared after Brawler curiously. What he said...

"I'll deal with Brawler later," Triad said firmly as she helped Retro stand up. Sensing his distraction, she asked, "What's wrong? Are you hurt?"

"No... it was just..." Retro thought for a minute. What Brawler said seemed weird, but would saying anything make HIM sound like the weird one? Or a tattletale? "Just... a bit shaken, Ma'am... but I'm fine. Let's get started."

Retro tried not to think too hard about things as Triad led him into the office.

IB's notes:

1) L* 43 and L* 49 showed that Blizzard and Night Girl did form a Substitute heroes in the Reboot! The rest of the membership was never shown though, so the actual membership here is my own doing.

2) To keep track of the Legion Cadets, check out this recap of the results of the last test!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/20/22 06:45 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021289 12/21/22 05:51 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Amp, Ming Sul of Earth (Korea and Taiwan); amplifies the natural abilities of self and others
Andromeda, Laurel Gand of Daxam; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers, flight
Babbage, I-45ENG/Nth Series of Robotica; combat mechanoid
Karate Kid, Val Armorr of Omega Colony (Earth colony: Japan and Myanmar); skilled martial artist
Shikari Lonestar of the Kwai; pathfinding, armored skin and claws allowing for flight and survival in space
Violet, Salu Digby of Imsk; shrinks and grows own body
Wildfire, Drake Burroughs (energy gestalt of two beings); anti-energy being

About one-fifth of the current Active Legion membership sat in the Jan Arrah audience hall, showing the importance of these Cadet tryouts. Some time ago, during Legion Day, a cadet named Retro had asked why Jan Arrah* had not been celebrated in the same way that other then-dead Legionnaires were*. This prompted some self-reflection from Saturn Girl, who had witnessed Jan's evolution into the Progenitor**... and the Legion had decided to honor Jan's time as Element Lad with sensitivity. As Shikari had said then - "The Progenitor was my galaxy's god, who created and destroyed... but I watched your mission tapes, and Element Lad was a good person, and that part should be remembered."

And so, there they were. Nine Legionnaires (an odd number to avoid ties), mainly volunteers, with Amp and Babbage to represent former Cadets. After all, who better to judge a potentially good Cadet, than one who had been through the program?

"How many more do we have?" Shikari asked, trying to hide her impatience. Andromeda looked at her gratefully; both had only been nudged to join by Kid Quantum and Nightwind, who had wanted them to be more involved with the Cadets. Every Active Legionnaire was required to give two hours a week; most gave more, but both had so far given only the bare minimum.

Triad Neutral (Purple was outside keeping order) scrolled through the list of applicants. "Pre-screening's weeded out quite a few who are underage, or who have no actual inherent powers****... next one is # 12 out of 37 so far."

Shikari stifled a sigh, and Wildfire patted her hand affectionately. Shikari bit her lip; she understood that the Legion simply couldn't accept everyone as a Cadet, as they had to allocate sufficient resources AND ensure Cadets could accept the rigors of the program. Still, she wished others with more interest were in her place now... though Leader Legion HAD gently told her these could be her future teammates, so she would strive to pay attention.

"Our next candidate is Louie Lee of Pluto," Triad Neutral said. "Please enter."

An androgynous-looking dark-skinned bipedal humanoid entered, flashing a big smile.

"How would you like us to address you, Louie?" Cosmic Boy leaned forward.

"They, please," Louie's eyes twinkled. "I identify as non-binary... but my hero name is Battering Ram."

"Nice to meet you, Louie," Rokk smiled. "As a reminder, our Cadet program is for those who want to develop their powers and abilities based on the Legion's principles; we do not expect that everyone will graduate into the Legion proper, but we do expect everyone will apply themselves to reach their full potential."

"Thanks, Cosmic Boy. I know several graduates have taken spots with the Legion support staff, or with other super-teams, or with UP offices," Louie smiled. "My heart is set on fully joining the Legion, so I'll do my best!"

"That's the spirit," Cosmic Boy continued. "Now, we've set up our VR technology in this room, so you may proceed..."

A blinking light indicated that the VR tech had begun. Four menacing-looking sentients of various shapes and sizes materialized, each carrying a frightening-looking weapon. Louie braced themselves, and their hands began to glow a pure white. Blasts of concussive energy leaped at each sentient in quick succession; one was hit in the jaw, another in the solar plexus, one on the knee, and the last was missed by inches.

"Sorry, I'm still working on my aim," Louie said, a tad embarrassed. A fifth blast hit the last attacker's hand, causing him to howl in pain as it dropped its gun. A sixth blast finally hit true, hitting the man in the chest and causing him to crumple in pain to the ground.

"Although your aim is not yet the best, your power rationing is very good," Babbage intoned. "The strength of those blasts was just enough to incapacitate most sentient beings without causing lasting harm."

"I've been very cautious of that," Louie admitted. "I don't want to kill anyone by accident."

"Good powers and attitude," Wildfire pointed out. "I think we know how this vote's gonna go, eh?"

And after the vote passed, Louie Lee sank to their knees in joy as they entered the Cadet program, taking the codename Battering Ram.

The next applicant was a shoo-in as well. Mend'rr of Jaquaa, the homeworld of Dr. Gym'll and Dr. Ryk'rr. Mend'rr explained that Jaquaans believed in health first, hence the large number of their species renowned in the medical field. Mend'rr had been caught in a lab accident while testing some new healing technology, and had developed the ability to accelerate natural healing. "And I can boost the effects of my power, by borrowing strength from others," he explained.

Demonstrating with VR sentients, he touched one healthy one and one injured one. As a rainbow glow surrounded them, the injured one's gaping wounds closed up in front of them (and to his credit, Mend'rr didn't even flinch at the sight, or at the smell of blood!) However, the healthy sentient slumped forward, exhausted, after all was done.

"I'm really eager to learn the limits of my power," Mend'rr noted. "I don't want to accidentally cause someone to die, because they volunteered to help someone else heal..."

And Mend'rr became the next Cadet, codenamed Healer.

Betty Shell of Ventura***** sashayed her way into the Jan Arrah hall. "Hello, boys, girls, and other sentients," she smiled as if she were looking into a holo-cam, hands on her shapely hips. Violet gave a little sniff, and Andromeda snapped the iron bar she had been playing with. Wildfire, though, leaned forward and whistled. Shikari and Karate Kid both glanced at him, to which he shrugged. "I may be an energy being, but I still have feelings, you know!"

"I call myself X-Bomb Betty," Betty smiled, fluttering her eyelids. "I can cause small explosions."

As the VR simulation whirred, Betty pointed at a couple of combat drones. They exploded into so many bits of hard plastic, raining debris down around her. Then she turned to face her next attacker...

... and stopped. Face blanching, she aimed instead at the ground. The blast threw the flesh-and-blood man backwards with a sickening snap.

"Oh my sprock, oh my sprock!" Betty ran forward, checking the man's pulse. She pulled a little medi-kit from her belt. "He's still alive, but I need to call for help now!"

Ending the simulation, Cosmic Boy and Violet came down to comfort Betty. "You don't have the best control yet, do you?"

"No," Betty said, tears causing her eyeliner to streak. "That's why I wanted to join - I think I can do a lot of good with this power, but I don't want to hurt anyone, you know? I've been trying... like, that's why I targeted the ground, but... I just can't do it on my own, right?"

Andromeda's frown softened, and Violet clasped Betty's hand in empathy. Those tears and that good heart were real, despite Betty's outward appearance. And she had taken precautions, such as bringing a medi-kit with her. And because of that, X-Bomb Betty became the Legion's newest Cadet.

IB's notes:

1) In Legion 25! At that time, the dead Legionnaires also included Kid Quantum I (James), Leviathan (Gim), Live Wire (he's better!) and Monstress (now Element Lass!)

2) Legion Lost vol 1!

3) For those keeping count: the former Cadets among the Active Legion membership now are Amp, Babbage, Blizzard, Calorie Queen, Echo, Gravity, Mentalla, Microbe, Nightwind.

4) Yes, this Legion still has the "only inherent powers rule!" But obviously, no "no duplicate powers" rule, though they DO encourage having a variety of powers!

5) And yes, it is THE X-Bomb Betty from the SW6 era! XBombBetty

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/21/22 07:38 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021290 12/21/22 06:39 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

The next candidate stepped forward quietly, though with back straight. Maintaining eye contact, he introduced himself as M'Rissey. "I have good planning skills," M'Rissey explained.

Eyebrows raised among the Legionnaires. "And, have you considered applying elsewhere, like with the Science Police?" Amp asked. "That is impressive, but perhaps not in the field... Unless you're interested in a Support Staff role?"

"I actually am," M'Rissey smiled. "Though Mentalla and Echo encouraged me to meet you. They thought we would all benefit from a testing of my abilities."

Babbage stood up; as the Robotican in the room, it was best served to do that. Tapping on its arm, Babbage displayed on the viewscreen in front of M'Rissey a sheet of data showing Gil'd; the percentage of oceans restored, the populated areas which had been repopulated, the population still off-planet.* "Can you develop a scenario for accelerating our restoration of Gil'd oceans?"

"Hmm..." Fingers tapping quickly, M'Rissey began to magnify exhibits and scroll. "Could I request for economic and budgetary data for the worlds hosting Gil'd refugees that are at least 10% of that world's home population? This will let me consider whether any of those worlds are overstretched. And I'd like some data on the inhabitable spaces restored for each of the 10 biggest cities on Gil'd, to see which cities can accept more returning Gil'd residents. And..."

As M'Rissey's mind worked, Babbage nodded. "This is truly advanced planning," it intoned. "I would say M'Rissey's scenario planning is 70% of Brainiac 5's own abilities. Not as rapid, but I calculate that M'Rissey's strength is in identifying and considering variables, modelling scenarios, and refining complex plans."

Triad's eyes twinkled. "I'm calling Gates, Kinetix and Microbe in*. I think we've found a great candidate to manage our Disaster Relief and Development program."

"And if you can pass an interview with Gates and Kinetix both, you can work with anyone," quipped Violet. At Cosmic Boy's shocked face, Violet laughed. "Kinetix is my best friend, I know how she can be..."

M'Rissey passed that interview with flying colors, with Gates in particular very happy that someone could deal with the details of the program full-time.

**********************************************************************************************************

Cera Kesh of Earth***** entered with a whisper. In sharp contrast to X-Bomb Betty, Cera was dressed very plainly and had a permanent downcast look. Violet immediately warmed up to her.

"I... I can levitate objects," she whispered.

"It's okay, honey, you can speak up," Violet said warmly. "Do you know your upper limit?"

"It's not a lot, and I really need to concentrate..." Cera smiled with gratitude. "Truthfully, I don't want to fight crime or anything like that. I just want to control it well, I imagine I can use it to carry the wounded or help people with groceries, or make kids bounce around and be happy..."

With difficulty, Cera managed to levitate a desk stacked full of objects across the room - though the ride was shaky, and by the end nearly half of the objects had fallen off.

"I really need to work on it," Cera said, abashed.

"That's what we're here for," Karate Kid smiled reassuringly. "All of us had to start from somewhere."

"Cera, if I may..." Amp flew from her seat, landing beside the girl. "My power is to amplify powers, but that amplification is a certain factor of existing abilities. It's not exact, but would you like to try? Maybe we can figure out your upper limit."

"S-sure! That would be great!"

And as Amp's red glow enveloped her, Cera felt alive and powerful. Pointing around, she lifted not only the desk, all the objects that had fallen... but also herself and all nine Legionnaires present! "Oh, it feels like I can fly!" Cera clasped her hands.

"You have quite a lot of potential, dear," Amp smiled, even as she used her flight ring to land herself.

"Not far off from Kinetix's power levels," Violet pointed out.

"And a refreshingly helpful spirit," Andromeda added. "Lots of desire to uplift people."

"I like that word," Cera said, laughing as she floated in the air. And Cera joined the Cadet program under the name, Uplift.

**********************************************************************************************************

Eryk Davis Ester of Touston***** entered the room with hope. His case had been brought by Kent Shakespeare to Brainiac 5 and Invisible Kid, and together with the likes of Gear and Chemical Kid, they had devised a temporary solution for his problem. A device monitored his body chemistry and helped him control his ability to zero in on an object's weak point and exploit it, often destroying the object completely. Unfortunately, his power had manifested when Eryk reached his 14th birthday - the age of majority on his world - with disastrous results; his family home had been destroyed, and only timely intervention by Science Police rescue units and a few Legionnaires had ensured that everybody escaped alive.

"I just want to live a normal life, you know?" Eryk explained. "I just want to learn how to control this, so I can live without fearing that my home will fall apart."

With difficulty, and only because of the device he wore on his left wrist and around his forehead, Eryk focused on a metal block. The block began to shake, and with a lot of clangs, it crumpled all over itself.

"It won't be easy," Karate Kid said gently, "but in time we should be able to get you some level of control.

And though he didn't particularly care for a codename, Eryk joined the program as Calamity.

Juan Joey MacNamara of Uranus leaped with excitement, landing in front of the Legionnaires with a ta-da! Even before Cosmic Boy could speak, Juan Joey began. "I call myself Glow-Worm - watch me dazzle you!" And without warning, Glow-Worm let loose a blinding light that made most of the Legionnaires - save Andromeda, Babbage and Wildfire - flinch. Shikari only escaped by having her armor-skin cover her face. Thankfully, all the rest had goggles in their belt pouches.

"Glow-Worm, you should learn to warn your teammates before you use a power that could hinder them!" Triad snapped as she fastened her goggles securely.

"Oh... but... if it stops the bad guys, why does it matter?" Juan Joey genuinely looked perplexed. "I mean, you'll all get better, right?"

The Legionnaires looked at each other grimly. Triad tapped on her Omnicom. "Hmm, looks like we're getting a report from Calorie Queen... highlights include..." The atmosphere in the room shifted very quickly. Apparently, Juan Joey had several civil lawsuits pending, from sentients whose eyesight he had damaged - and only two as a result of stopping crime. He had temporarily blinded ten people while exploding light at the Pride event in New Orleans...

Psych scans and a psychological evaluation had not shown any severe pathologies, but had detected a rather shocking lack of empathy and consideration.

When confronted with this, Glow-Worm just shrugged. "I mean... I guess I could be more careful, but you know?"

"You do know that the United Planets courts are empowered to require power-inhibiting devices for sentients who consistently display a disregard for others, don't you?" Cosmic Boy's face was thunderous.

"I did hear that was the most likely outcome of my court hearing tomorrow," Glow-Worm said lamely.

"We can't have someone who does not even recognize the consequences of their actions," Triad kept her tone level, with difficulty. And so it was that Umbra came in, enveloped Glow-Worm's body in her darkfield, and escorted him out to the nearest UP court, hastily convened by emergency call from the Legion.

IB's notes:

1) Gil'd's oceans were taken away by the Water Elemental (L* 71-74), the Legion is helping restore it now

2) Yes, it is the M'Rissey from the 3boot smile MRissey Why Gates, Kinetix and Microbe? All 3 helped start the Disaster Relief and Development arm of the Legion. I thought it made sense: Gates is communist/socialist leaning, Kinetix's origin showed her wanting power to help people (though I interpret it as her being a bit selfish, in wanting to feel useful), and Microbe is also altruistic AND thought it would be good PR for her planet (but Gates/Kinetix approached her cause of her useful power).

3) Yes, it is the Cera Kesh from the SW6 who became an Emerald Empress CeraKesh

4) Yes, it is THE Calamity King from the Preboot! CalamityKing

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/21/22 07:42 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021294 12/21/22 08:17 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

The next candidate was a graceful young woman from Starhaven*****, a planet known for its close attunement with nature. Her dark red eyes mesmerized the Legionnaires as she spoke. "My birth name is Cats-Eye. I am here today to offer my gifts to you..."

"Says here you have... animal empathy?" Wildfire titled his head, a mannerism from the days when he had a human form.

"Yes... I understand them... and they understand me..." Cats-Eye smiled. "And if I beseech them nicely and respectfully, they can lend me their abilities. If I may demonstrate..."

The Legionnaires watched in fascination as Cats-Eye knelt down carefully, placing her hands on the floor. A tiny mouse appeared from her sleeve and scampered to the floor. Fauna squeaked, turning her head and twisting her ears, and the mouse appeared to do the same.

"I am thanking her for lending me her strength," Cats-Eye smiled. Then she stood up, and a soft red glow surrounded her. "I can hear... the Legionnaire called Gravity calling the next name outside... and..." She took a running leap, and clambered up the walls, tucking her legs in under her as she pulled herself up.

"A very interesting ability for sure!" Shikari nodded.

"Very, very, interesting," Wildfire chuckled.

Taking the codename Fauna, Cats-Eye took care to introduce herself individually to every single Legionnaire and Cadet and staff member that she could.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

In terms of powers, A'rmie of Gil'd was a shoo-in: the brain-like, tentacled applicant had telepathy and could produce electricity, like all others of its Gil'dan sub-species. What got A'rmie a resounding YES vote was its heartfelt motivation for joining: "I know that rogue elements of my people have caused trouble for the United Planets before by supporting the Dark Circle*. But when the Water Elemental** damaged my world, the UP and the Legion continued to help... and joining the Cadet program will help me atone.

Encased in a plastic water-filled sphere while on Legion World, A'rmie rejected the codename, jokingly suggested by Wildfire, of Brain Globe. It instead would choose the codename Neuron, a more fitting description of its powerset.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Oulan Calhoun had just recently retired from the UP Navy, having served with distinction under Fleet Admiral Everett. Calhoun had decided that military life was no longer what she wanted, though she still did believe in security. As Everett had worked very well with the Legion, playing key roles in the fight against Mordru***, Oulan's application ended up in front of the Legion jury.

"I'll cut to the chase, Legionnaires," Oulan leaned forward, assertively if not a little aggressively. "I'm only here because I respect Admiral Everett greatly. She thought I could use this to get ideas of what to do after retirement." The tall woman with close-cropped red hair and rippling muscle all over seemed to loom over the team. "She thought it could help me adjust to civilian life, but I feel like I'm too set in my ways to learn your Legion ways."

"Hmm... survival skills, highly enhanced endurance, able to operate without food or water for double the galactic average time..." Cosmic Boy had a twinkle in his eye.

"Way ahead of you, Cos," Triad smiled. A quick call to Spider-Girl, and the red-headed Legionnaire had gotten her former Workforce teammate Evolvo on the line. "To what do I owe this pleasure, Legionnaires?" asked the diminutive white-skinned man with the oversized cranium.

"You told me you were looking to boost your Workforce numbers," Spider-Girl smiled. "Well, have I got the candidate for you!"

Oulan Calhoun, call sign Survivor, managed to negotiate quite a lucrative contract with Evolvo. She became field leader of the Workforce, and made very sure to include a clause that the Legion and the UP could call upon the Workforce to assist in emergency situations classified as a Red or higher. Evolvo was only happy to allow it, though he made a show of hemming and hawing; after all, it made good business sense to stay in good standing with the Legion.

And for their part, the Legion and the UP were happy to have such an upstanding former Navy member in a place to help keep Evolvo in line... after all, Evolvo, much more than any other Workforce member, had been intimately involved with many of Leland McCauley's not-very-ethical schemes, once upon a time.*****

Meyer Qayd****** of the Sol Asteroid Belt seemed to float on a cloud of dust particles. "It's not very pretty," Meyer admitted. "I have to wear a transuit pretty much all the time. Once I hit puberty, my body started to attract small particles, and well..."

"That must have been difficult to deal with," Andromeda remarked sympathetically.

"Yeah... My parents were grateful this didn't start when I was a baby," Meyer said drily. "I just want to learn how to turn it off, you know."

Babbage consulted some reports. "It appears that your ability can attract objects with a maximum diameter of one millimeter... lower limit is as yet unknown."

As with some previous candidates, Amp offered to boost Meyer's own power. And the room gasped collectively in awe, as Meyer's eyes glowed. "I... I can FEEL each individual particle! And..." he began to form them into shapes. First, he spelled his own name; then he formed a replica of the Legion symbol. "Oh... oh my gosh..." He eagerly stepped out of his transuit. "I can feel the air again... it's been so long..."

Amp gave poor Meyer a hug as he teared up. "We'll get you free of that transuit, bit by bit, Meyer."

Poor Meyer did have quite a sense of humor; that was what helped keep him sane all these years. Because, all this time, nobody had ever thought his power could be useful, he chose to call himself The Mess.

IB's notes:

1) See Dark Circle Rising, L*62-65 and LSH 106-108

2) L* 71-74

3) L* 48-52!

4) One of those was the exploitation of the Space Anomaly, to sell Anomaly teleporting technology to the Affiliated Planets (AP) - though at least McCauley and Evolvo didn'tknow that the AP then was a front for the Dark Circle! And once they knew they were in too deep, they did cooperate with the UP!

5) This is Starhaven's first Reboot appearance - I thought that, even with the Kwai existing in the Reboot, Starhaven deserved a place too smile

6) You may recognize The Mess as THAT Adventure Era reject Mess

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/23/22 10:27 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021297 12/21/22 09:16 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Akiko Li was the picture of nervousness, hair disheveled, fingers nervously tapping against each other as she watched the assembled Legionnaires. "So... you have the power to make people question things?" Violet asked.

Akiko nodded, biting her lip. Her power always worked, but it was also always thus far an unpleasant experience.

"You can demonstrate on me," Karate Kid smiled. Akiko nearly bit her tongue as she watched Val Armorr's adorable eyes grow smaller as he smiled. "I have no secrets, and my time with the monks on Steeple* has taught me some things about myself.

"Okay..." Akiko nearly tripped as she stepped forward! Cursing silently, she stood in front of Val and activated her power...

... and as her normally black eyes turned a solid white, she seemed to transform. She stood up front, her mannerisms and tics subsided, and her high-pitched voice became smooth and suave.

"Why are you a Legionnaire?"

Val's eyes betrayed his shock, though years of training meant his face did not. And his mind was clear. "After I left the Workforce**, I realized I had a responsibility to use my skills for good."

"And why do you stay? Why do you not join some other group?"

"If the Legion were only about stopping criminals, perhaps I would..." Val continued. "But the martial arts I practice are an extension of various ancient philosophies, and I am able to use my talents during relief missions, for example..."

"Is that all?"

"No... the Legion is my family now, too, and I want to help it grow..."

"I think this is a great demonstration," Cosmic Boy cut in tactfully. "That's pretty amazing, Akiko. Though tell me, is the Legion your main goal?"

Akiko's eyes turned black again, and once more she seemed a bundle of nerves. "Well, honestly I just want somewhere my power is valued, you know!"

Triad spoke up. "I have an idea, Cos." After a hasty conference between the Legionnaires present, plus Invisible Kid as head of the Espionage Squad, and Shvaughn Erin in her role as Science Police liaison, Akiko was presented with an offer. "The Legion and the Science Police cooperate extensively on many cases," Shvaughn began. "We'd like to offer you a role as a negotiator and interrogator."

"But we also understand that the different discipline and training in the Science Police isn't for everyone," Invisible Kid said, a twinkle in his eye as he recalled his own flouting of authority as an Earthgov spy***. "So, we'd like you to join the Legion support staff... and in case the Science Police request your services, a Legionnaire or Shvaughn will always accompany you."

Akiko nearly tripped again in her haste to say yes. She would go on to have a brilliant career, earning the nickname "The Question."

In contrast to Akiko, the next candidate, Giselle Smith of Triton*****, had most of the makings of a Legionnaire: combat prowess, an interesting powerset that included enhanced base levels of speed and strength and durability. Nothing too remarkable, certainly not strong enough to lift a Legion cruiser with one hand, but serviceable. But her VR scenario showed she lacked imagination. When faced with six enemies all charging at her, she fought them one at a time, ignoring the props around her.

"Doesn't look good..." Amp muttered.

"Let me try something..." Cosmic Boy noted. "Giselle, why don't you use that beam to hit the enemies?"

"Oh... yes, great idea!" Giselle broke off punching a pink-skinned woman, then picked up a wooden beam. Using it as a club, she finished off the rest of the enemies.

Turning the VR scenario off, Cosmic Boy addressed Giselle. "Giselle... I have to say, you don't really show a lot of inventiveness. But, you fight well. And you seem to take commands quite well..."

Giselle nodded, confusion on her face.

"You may instead be interested in the Science Police..."

And later on, Giselle joined other Cadet applicants, such as Bogdan Tarka of Doopa*****, whose personalities seemed more of a fit for the Science Police, in an information session. Lieutenant Gigi Cusimano and Officer Sybelle Deacon were only too happy to explain the daily duties of an Officer, and noted that Legion Cadets in particular were often sought after for postings on Legion World. Of the 10 Cadet applicants referred by the Legion to Gigi, 9 enrolled as Science Police officers within the next week, including Giselle and the invulnerable Bogdan.

Swallowtail, a butterfly-like humanoid from Swizzar, was a sight to behold. Having been caught up in the Air Elementals**** awakening on Swizzar, Swallowtail remembered being battered by sharp, slicing winds that tossed and turned her around like a moopsball in a hurricane. That had left her comatose and near-death; but somehow, miraculously, it had also awakened a dormant power within her. Her body had formed a healing cocoon; and when she emerged, she had much greater speed than the average Swizzan, with much bigger wings. And more than that; her wings could shed scales that refracted light, and caused a variety of effects on anyone caught in the scales that she willfully shed; hallucinations, hypnosis, paralysis, sleep...

Swallowtail explained, quietly but not shyly, that she had been hailed as a miracle on Swizzar... but that not everyone was welcoming or accepting of her otherness. At the same time, she didn't wish to turn her back on the UP peoples; nobody deserved to suffer, like those caught in the maelstrom on Swizzar.

Using her given name as her codename, Swallowtail would spend many free days as a Cadet happily tending to the gardens on Legion World, striking up an especially close friendship with Chlorophyll Kid.

1) Legion Worlds 5 until Legion 22

2) LSH 103

3) This part of Lyle's past was revealed in LSH 67 and L* 66!

4) L* 71-74; the Air Elemental had possessed one of Swallowtail's people, a woman called Flutter

5) Giselle Smith debuted as Gazelle, and Bogdan Tarka as Turtle, in the Threeboot

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/21/22 04:29 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021298 12/21/22 11:55 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Aquamarine of Mellorus waddled uncomfortably into to the room. From an aquatic world dominated by a piscine species,* Aquamarine was naturally adapted to the water. However, her power of inducing transformations in herself and in others manifested - luckily enough - while her family was visiting the waters of Earth as tourists. She had accidentally turned herself into a land-based form, complete with legs and arms instead of fins! The lucky part was that she had been near land then, and had been pulled onto a boat safely; if she had been on Mellorus, she would likely have drowned. After calming herself down and getting Legion assistance, she had experimented with her powers; she could also transform herself into an air-based form, gaining wings.

The more startling part had been when she had accidentally given Ultra Boy wings, and given Apparition gills! Luckily, by then she had had enough control to reverse her transformations right away!

Blessed with a spirit of curiosity, Aquamarine thought her future lay in exploration - using her abilities to visit new habitats and new worlds. But that could wait, until she discovered the limits of her powers. As she relayed what she could - and could not - do, the Legionnaires carefully tracked that against her file. Confident that she was conscientious and careful in her use of her abilities, Aquamarine was welcomed by them as a Cadet.

Apollo and Artemis Chiang of Eros entered with the confidence of people who know they are attractive, and are comfortable with the attention it brings. Yet there was a distinct lack of arrogance in their movements. Having grown up poor and orphaned on the asteroid Eros, they had known many hungry nights. One night, the weakened twins had been attacked by a very predatory man; their powers had manifested then, and as the man was bisexual they had been able to convince him not to hurt them - and to feed and clothe them before releasing them unharmed.

After surviving until their late teens with their powers, they had determined three things: that they were (thankfully) immune to each other; that they wanted to better their lot in life; but that they also wanted to use their powers with dignity and only on those who deserved it, so to speak. No innocents.

After several reassurances from the team, Apollo turned his power on. Violet, Triad, Andromeda, Amp and Shikari had all leaned forward immediately. "Well, I see why Invisible Kid's write-up on you was so glowing," Triad had flirted.

Apollo turned his power off; and Artemis turned hers on. Cosmic Boy, Wildfire, Karate Kid and - again - Violet - were all caught in it. "I can see you being a star at crowd control," Cosmic Boy beamed.

After Artemis turned her power off, the twins waited anxiously. Cosmic Boy rubbed his temples. "Well, now that I can think properly again, I do see that your powers will be great in crowd control and similar situations... though unless you can aim it selectively, it might be a liability in combat. But you're definitely Cadet material!"

The twins would later grin at each other as they moved into their adjacent Cadet quarters; they had never known such luxury in their lives! The nature of their powers would also earn them the codenames Dream Boy and Dream Girl.

Jackie Idonno, a hermaphroditic humanoid from the aptly-named planet Hermaphrodite, had often been described by their friends as an energy vampire. They complained that Jackie was just so negative somehow, and Jackie supposed it had been their tendency to constantly worry about and search for the best possible outcome when making decisions. However, as time passed, Jackie had noticed that appliances and equipment also seemed to drain faster around them. It was not until Jackie's skycar suddenly lost power and fell a few meters to the ground that an injured and shaken Jackie had asked for a battery of tests.

And then, Jackie had learned that they were a living energy drain. Energy from humans, from objects, from electronics, from machinery... Jackie could absorb it for themselves. Yet Jackie was somehow not very effective at converting energy for their own use; Jackie could drain a dozen of their friends, with only a miniscule increase in their own mood and energy.

With a great deal of effort, Jackie was able to learn how to turn this field on and off. Unsure of what to do, Jackie thought about the Cadet program...

... and that's how Jackie found themselves now, facing Element Lass, Wildfire and Spark.

"Wow, they are actually pulling my energy form into them," Wildfire commented.

"I can't even generate a bolt!" Spark complained.

"And that uranium I transmuted isn't radioactive anymore!" Element Lass remarked.

Jackie turned their field off. "But like I said when I applied, I can't turn this on and off..." Jackie shrugged. "I only came here because I didn't know where else to go... but I imagine I won't be much use in big fights or things like that."

"You're insightful," Wildfire mused. "But..."

And that was how Jackie Idonno, adopting the moniker Vampire with pride, became a member of the Clean-Up crew under the Legion's Disaster Relief and Development program. Jackie would be sent to areas like Xanthu's nuclear wastelands or to accident sites, where Jackie's energy draining field could ensure the environment was safe for others to follow... Jackie even got sent to a couple of riots, of course backed up by Legionnaires with long-ranged powers, to keep Jackie safe.

Solana Xatu of Korugar was flushed with excitement as she waited for the Legionnaires to assess their VR tests. She had been placed in a hostage situation, and she had taken care to ensure the hostages safety, first taking out the goons guarding them. After ensuring the hostages had escaped, then she had taken out the rest.

The Legionnaires looked at her, smiling, though she could sense some sort of confusion among them.

"Solana..." began Andromeda. "You clearly are at peak strength for a Korugarian, certainly very impressive... but our scans show you are not quite superhuman."

Solana's smile slipped a little. She had always been faster, stronger, tougher than everyone around her, which was part of why she had developed a career as a coach and trainer - she loved making others better, as well. But she had thought... hoped... that her impressive physical abilities would have received more of a welcome here. Though on the other hand, she had thought often about it - was it all her, or had she gotten lucky when she was born?

"On the other hand," Babbage continued. "Considering what you shared of your training routine, your age, everything... well, you are in remarkable physical condition for a sentient of your age and sex..."

"... but tell us, why do you want to be a Legionnaire, instead of going into a career in sport, or joining the Science Police?" Triad finished.

Solana clenched her hands. "My homeworld, Korugar, suffered under the oppressive rule of Sinestro before finally claiming freedom. I respect that the Science Police stand for order, but the Legion - you - you all stand for hope!" Solana pleaded at them, fixing each with her eyes. She watched as they began to sit up straighter; Amp smiled, Shikari beamed. Even Babbage seemed to look up. "I want to inspire others, to take charge of their destinies, and to be the best that they can be!"

"That was a great speech," Cosmic Boy mulled.

"A Rokk-level speech, eh?" Violet winked.

"But indeed, we've all had enough experience to know that there is something more there than an amazing orator..." Cosmic Boy's eyes twinkled. "Solana, have you ever had any... psychic experiences?"

"What?" Solana was perplexed.

After a quick call to Saturn Girl, who consulted with her mentor Micah Aven, and a quick scan of Solana...

... she sat down with a thump as she read the readouts.

"I can boost confidence in others?!" That explained a lot - why her trainees and clients often said she made them feel like they could push themselves more!

"I know it's a lot to take in," Triad said gently. "Believe me, though, you're a product not just of your power, but of you."

"As speeches go," Babbage intoned, "you said all the right words - so it was a combination of you and of your power."

"Hey, your speech was great!" Wildfire gestured. "But we've all been through Cos speeches, and we could just tell there was something more, an extra push, behind it, you know?" He held out his hand. "So you're an amazing physical specimen AND a posthuman! Welcome to the Cadet program, Solana!"

Solana would relish this moment, and also relish every time she used her power for good, while learning how to best use it as the Cadet called Paragon.

It took nearly ten hours in total to see each of the 52 candidates who made it to the jury. After 5 hours, the nine Legionnaires who met the candidates changed. But the pre-screening had worked; of the 52, 26 were accepted into the Cadet program. Another 11 were offered places in the Legion support staff, and 14 more were referred to partners such as the Science Police or UP Military. Only one, the rather unempathetic and careless Glow-Worm, were outright rejected for attitudinal or personality issues. A testament to real-life learning from mistakes; after Glow-worm, the Legion had been more stringent in the pre-screening.

At the end of the day, all involved retired with much exhaustion, except for Babbage - who took it upon itself to update the personnel files.

Though Babbage knew the biggest update would come tomorrow, as the testing for full Active Legion membership would take place - though based on today's results, only four current Cadets and no new joiners were eligible to join. The whole of Legion World was already abuzz with thoughts about which of the four would make it.

Ah, organic beings and their emotions.

IB's notes:

1) A native of Mellorus appeared in a single panel in LSH 104

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/21/22 07:40 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021326 12/22/22 04:33 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Legion Cadets

Brawler, Brash Knightley of Moxie; super-strength and durability, can mind-mesh with machinery to control it
Retro, Deen Toro of Retcon; touch-triggered ability to rewind time, but leaving those affected with a memory of "future" events

Retro tossed around in his bed. No matter how he tried to clear his mind, he couldn't put his meeting with Triad out of his head.

"Retro," she had said, we understand that not everyone is cut out for the field - not everyone is brave enough to put themselves in danger like that. And that's fine - some of your fellows like Cannus and Chlorophyll Kid have taken non-combat positions. But you do understand and remember that lying about it is something else, yes? We need honesty in the Legion, Retro. Even among our staff.

Retro had nodded, meekly and sullenly.

We're giving you one more chance, Retro... take some time to think. I've linked a fresh organizational chart and descriptions of each Support department to your Omnicom... you may choose whichever, but remember that you will be under heavy probation. We need to know that we can trust you.

Retro sighed. He ran away in battle, and he lied about it. Now he had to live with it. Cursing, he jumped out of bed. Maybe a short walk to clear his head...Why was he here, anyway? Well, to get away from the boring work of taking over the family business back home on Retcon... and he thought becoming a Legion Cadet would be fun and exciting.

It had its moments, but it was also a lot of hard work... and maybe excitement was not what he craved.

Muttering to himself, he pulled on his favorite shirt and his bedroom slippers, then headed out to the pantry...

... and then he heard that nasshead Brawler, who had the room next to his, mumbling.

Remembering Brawler's weird statements about dreaming last time, Retro inched closer to Brawler's bedroom door. The door was oh so slightly ajar... Retro remembered Brawler bragging about always getting fresh air while sleeping, or some such nonsense. Whatever.

He peeked through the door to see Brawler on his side, facing away from him. "Gonna.. gonna... show them..."

Taking a gamble, Retro gently touched the door and rewound it with his power ever so slightly, so it opened a fraction more. Wow. Was Brawler sweating so?

"Won't stop me taking test... show them... show them I'm the best... yes... tamper with the VR room..."

Eyes widening, Retro almost stumbled backwards. Was he hearing this?

"Yes... dangerous... but... way to show I can do it..."

Scrambling backwards silently, Retro stood up shakily and walked briskly towards the pantry.

Invisible Kid, Lyle Norg of Earth (Australia and Israel); invisibility
Nightwind, Berta Skye Harris of Earth (Iceland) and Enwa; wind and air manipulation, enhanced vision
Spark, Ayla Ranzz of Winath; electricity generation and manipulation
Timber Wolf, Brin Londo of Zuun; enhanced speed, strength, durability, senses and regenerative powers

Legion Cadets and Reservists

Density, Jed Rikane of Earth (Mongolia and Nepal); controls his body's density
Lamprey, Tayla Skott of Earth (Maldives and Palau); underwater survival; hydrokinesis
Sizzle, Teela Spuunvil of Abaddonus; absorbs and redirects energy

"Good luck, hon," Gravity kissed Density. "Be confident, ok?"

"I think you're more nervous than I am," Jed laughed gently as he kissed his husband back. "Thanks, I'll do my best."

Tel resisted making a quip about his husband's relaxed confidence. That had always been one of their major differences... but at times when he was feeling tense, Tel did appreciate Jed's easy calmness. He moved over to join Nightwind, who was here to support Lamprey. Berta had just given Tayla a good luck hug.

"Ready to watch?" Berta smiled at Tel.

"I'm not sure I can look, to be honest," Tel whispered back. "I'll just be a bundle of nerves the whole time!"

"Eh, what's the worst that can happen?" Spark stuck her tongue out. Together with Invisible Kid and Timber Wolf, she would referee and judge the VR test - with the authority to stop the test at any time if the situation became dangerous. The rest of the Active membership would have 24 hours thereafter to watch the footage and vote. Gravity and Nightwind had recused themselves from being judges.

Timber Wolf headed over to Sizzle and Tellus. "Last chance, both of you - it's still a no?"

"Still a no," Sizzle smiled. "Thanks for asking, though."

"I am also not ready..." Tellus communicated.

"Fair enough. Then I guess we can begin." Invisible Kid ushered Sizzle and Tellus out; not taking part in the test meant they shouldn't watch it. Then he gave some last-minute instructions to Density and Lamprey, before sending them into the main VR chamber. "Good luck, you two," he smiled as they put their VR goggles on.

"Where are we?" Lamprey looked around. It was too dark to see anything. Though she could hear some vague humming, and the sound of animals moving in the distance. Her first instinct was to get a glow-buib, but.... "Sprock, our utility belts are gone. And so are our flight rings."

Being careful to narrate his actions, so that Lamprey and the judges could follow his thought process, he said "I'm gonna increase my density and feel around..."

"Good idea," Lamprey encouraged him. "I'm not going to use my water powers until we know I won't damage anything."

Feeling around, his left hand found what appeared to be metal bars. "I think we're in a cage, Tayla." He began to follow the cage around...

"Really, Lyle? An escape room?" Ayla stuck her tongue out again, as she watched the screen that showed what Jed and Tayla were experiencing. "You have been watching too many reality game show holos..."

"Oh, wait until you see what else I have planned," Lyle stuck his tongue out back.

Decreasing his density allowed Jed to stretch his arm a little bit more. "Just.... a bit... more... got it!" He stood up, clutching a thin metal needle.

"Perfect!" Lamprey took it and began poking around into the lock they had found. "Now if I remember our lessons right... there!" Smiling in satisfaction as the lock of their cage opened, she grinned. "I am so glad the Legion's been training us on what to do if we're stuck on a low-technology world!"

"Enough cloak-and-dagger stuff!" Brin growled at Lyle. "My turn, let's test their battle reflexes!"

"Jed, behind you!" Tayla yelled.

"Thanks!" Jed said gratefully as he lowered his density so he could leap higher than normal. Just in time, as a laser burned the ground he had been standing on. Leaping in the laser's direction, his foot connected with something that made a metallic clang. "Droids, I think?"

"I know!" Tayla yelled back. "I can see another!" She rolled forward, avoiding a blast.

"Hold on!" Jed called. "I'm coming!"

"No, I can manage, thanks! I've been practicing!" Normally, Tayla would use the water in her belt pouch as a weapon, but she would have to get creative. Concentrating, she began to condense water vapor from the air. Forming it into a thin stream, she fired right at the attacking droid's eyes, shorting it out.

"Nice!" Jed gave her a high five.

"Way to go, girl!" Berta clapped. "I knew your practice would pay off!"

"They have definitely mastered their powers more," Lyle noted.

"Told ya, that last test just had too many Cadets in it for them to shine," Brin clapped Lyle on the back.

"Were you all THIS cavalier when I was part of the tested group?" Tel asked, almost incredulously.

"Nah, but that had more than 20 of you at a time," Ayla laughed. "Now, there are only two of them... and they did well last time. Now we can focus on testing their progress on the specific feedback we gave, which was mostly on power versatility."

"Oh, okay then," Tel smiled. Jed and Tayla had been working hard, after all.

Sizzle sighed as she rounded the corner from the VR room. She HAD decided to skip the test... she hoped she wouldn't regret it. "Well, Tellus, what say we get a drink?"

"I... thank you... Sizzle.. but... I... need to... review my lessons on... United Planets history..."

"Well, we can study together, and... huh?" Sizzle looked up to see an angry Triad and a very pale Retro running towards her. "Stop him!" Triad pointed.

Sizzle turned around and gasped.

"Computer up ahead," Tayla pointed. She examined the console. "Looks like a pretty old model..."

"Great-grandpa had something like that," Jed noted. "Switch was on the bottom right..."

"Found it! Let's see if we can find out what we're dealing with... huh?" Tayla stopped as the computer in front of her began to shimmer and blink, like it wasn't there.

"Weird... maybe we should step back," Jed said, increasing his density as a precaution.

"I'm with you, I... hey!" Tayla felt herself thrown back with brutal force. Arcing her body like they learned in training, she braced herself nonetheless for an impact.

"Got you!" Jed caught her. "What was that?"

"Whatever it is, it's not visible... or organic!" Tayla was pointing at the space in front of her. "Not only can't I see anything, I can't sense any water molecules at all in front of me... Nothing to manipulate."

"You can -" Jed began, but didn't finish. Something rammed into his side. "Ugh!"

"That seems a bit rough, no?" Ayla smacked Brin.

"That's the problem, Ayla. It isn't me!" Brin gripped the controls. "This thing is acting on its own!"

"What?!" Tel jumped beside Brin. "You're not kidding, are you?!"

"Oh no!" Lyle pointed down. The very walls of the VR chamber were rippling and tossing Tayla and Jed about like rag dolls. "This is impossible! And I've already tried shutting the program down!"

"First priority is to get them out!" Berta began to fly down to the chamber.

Before she could get far, the door opened and a familiar figure stepped in with a grin. "Rest your pretty head, Nightwind... Brawler is here to save the day!" With a flourish, he touched the floor and commanded it to manifest five seats. "All of you sit down, I'll handle this!"

"Wait a minute!" Gravity used his powers to crumple the nearest chair back down to the floor. "Do you have something to do with this, Brawler? Why are you suddenly here?"

"Oh, good old Brawler just happened to be passing by," Brawler's bloodshot eyes nearly bulged out of his head. "Now have a seat!" Touching the floor again, he forcibly created a chair just behind Tel, pushing him into it with such force that Tel fell unconscious.

"But... you're not this powerful!" Berta gasped. Brawler just grinned.

"And his eyes, his voice... something's wrong," Lyle continued. "Like he's crazed! Calling for Saturn Girl or Mentalla..."

"Enough of this!" Ayla blasted at Brawler. Berta followed with a gust of wind. Brawler simply grinned as he caused a section of the floor to block their attacks. Then he made the floor under Ayla and Berta erupt, knocking them both out.

"Now where were we... ah!" Brawler yelled as he felt claws slash into his back. Then a booted foot kicked him in the face. Brawler reacted quickly, covering his entire body with material from the walls and floor, and sending waves of metal crashing into his assailant. With a groan, Timber Wolf fell to the floor, bleeding.

"Not bad. You would have finished me off if I hadn't gotten more powerful, recently," Brawler looked at Brin in satisfaction. Four Legionnaires down. Now he could rescue those two stupid, outmatched classmates of his, and...

"Aaaah!!!" he screamed as a stinging spray filled his eyes. Rubbing them, Brawler willed himself to be quiet. There was a fifth Legionnaire in the room...

"Lyle here! Brawler's done something to the VR room, control panel locked, can anyone hear me?"

"I don't need to see you, when I can hear and feel you!" Meshing his mind with the walls, Brawler commanded the whole room to ripple. With satisfaction, he heard Invisible Kid gasp and fall to the floor. Brawler made the floor erupt; and Lyle groaned again, slumping to the floor, his unconscious form shifting into visibility.

Grinning madly, Brawler looked around in satisfaction. "I just beat 5 Legionnaires! And now for those two losers down there!" Turning towards the VR room, he readied himself with glee. Density and Lamprey thought they were better than him, eh? Well, he would show them. Oh yes...

He pressed the button to open the main VR chamber with satisfaction, and stepped through...

... and was met with a purple fist in his face!

"What have you done, Brawler?" Density bellowed as his second fist struck Brawler. Brawler also felt water splashing around him. Wiping his eyes, Brawler saw that Density was riding a wave of water controlled by Lamprey. They had somehow freed themselves from the VR scenario!

"How? You were being bounced around while..." Brawler spat. He touched the floor, forcing it to erupt in spikes.

"That's enough of that!" Lamprey concentrated on Brawler's form. She felt the water molecules permeating his body... many of them were in tissue and organs and muscles, but she just had to tug on the free ones floating around, and...

Brawler gasped as he felt himself weaken. "What...?"

"I'll see to the others!" Density called as he headed for the VR control room.

"No, this won't stop me!" Brawler began to stand. "I have the Legionnaires in death traps, just need to squeeze and they die and..." He cast around with his mind, feeling Gravity slumped forward in the metal mass above. This would hurt Density the most. He began to squeeze...

why was he feeling so hot? he was sweating, he...

And Brawler sank into blessed unconsciousness.

The Active Legion membership was somber as they reviewed the footage. Triad had annotated it. But most things were clear.

Density and Lamprey recognized the VR scenario they were in was going wrong; they had exited from it, though were still stuck in the VR chamber.

Triad, having been warned by Retro about Brawler's odd behavior, had called the Monitor Board right away. They had followed Brawler to the VR room, encountering Sizzle and Tellus on the way.

Brawler, displaying irrational behavior and inexplicably boosted abilities, had subdued the 5 Legionnaires in the VR control room. This fact unsettled everyone in the room; they had been taken off guard, but still, for one assailant to down five of their number was grave. It also showed how Brawler's power had inexplicably grown. Not only that, but Brawler had somehow jammed flight ring signals coming into and out of the room.

During all this, Tellus had telepathically made contact with Density and Lamprey. Together, they formulated a plan - Density and Lamprey were to distract Brawler, while Retro would try to rewind the VR room door so they could enter. That part failed, so the plan shifted; Sizzle tried to absorb electrical currents and ambient light, channeling it into a fine laser that would allow them to enter the room. But when Brawler threatened the Legionnaires inside, the plan altered again - Sizzle turned her absorbed energy into heat. Coupled with Density's and Lamprey's other attacks dehydrating Brawler, they were able to knock him out.

Triad highlighted the quick thinking of Lamprey, Density and Sizzle in particular: Tayla and Jed had thought to wear their transuits just in case, and Sizzle had had the presence of mind to shift to taking out Brawler quickly. The Legionnaires had decided not to re-test Tayla and Jed, but to proceed to a membership vote. And Tayla and Jed had insisted that Sizzle and Tellus be included in the vote, too.

A solemn Invisible Kid, Spark and Timber Wolf went through the VR room footage, pointing out good behaviors by Lamprey and Density.

But everyone on the team knew that the Cadets' actions against Brawler played a bigger role in the voting that followed...

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/09/23 05:14 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021331 12/22/22 05:17 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Tellus felt his heart beating even as Mentalla gave him the news. Considering how adamant Density and Lamprey had been, that defeating Brawler had been a team effort, he had expected this... But was he ready? He drew on the wisdom of his elders, who said that one must be as seaweed and go with the tide... but also that one must be like the coral, slowly and steadily growing...

**************************************************************************************

As soon as Density saw Spark coming to see him, he knew. Ayla Ranzz was not one to try keeping a poker face. Jed guessed that his husband Tel had asked for someone else to give him the news...

**************************************************************************************

Sizzle sat, stunned, even as Wildfire leaned forward, clasping her hands. When she woke up today, she had never imagined that this would happen.

Lamprey resisted the urge to use her powers to clean up her tears. Instead, she mumbled a thank you as Triad passed her a handkerchief.

Retro breathed a big sigh of relief. Who knew that telling true tales would keep his position in the Cadet program safe? Apparently, he had regained enough trust to remain a Cadet in good standing, though just a Cadet and not a Reservist. Fine, he knew he had to do more to become a full Legionnaire, if he did want to be one. For now, he was just happy to stay a Cadet and have fun. Some of the new Cadets looked interesting... he put his hands behind his head and thought about the poor chumps who would be graduating out and become real Legionnaires. More work and responsibility for them. He hoped they would not regret their decisions.

Brawler stared, glassy-eyed, at the ceiling. Several Legionnaires had come to see him; a telepathic probe by Saturn Girl, recently returned from her honeymoon, had found nothing. Chameleon, Invisible Kid, Kid Quantum, Triad, Rebound... all had questioned him, but he had told them the same thing. His dreams gave him the idea. He had triggered the VR Room to come to life, so he could show how worthy he was. It all came to him in a dream...

The Legion World Members' Cafeteria

"Get your cupcakes here, get your cupcakes!" Tenzil Kem called as he waltzed through the crowd, towing two anti-grav trays of cupcakes with him. They were decorated in red, green and purple, in honor of the three newest Active Legionnaires on the team.

"Oh Tenzil, how thoughtful!" Lamprey was all smiles as she picked a green one. "It matches my skin tone exactly!"

"You're welcome, my dear Lamprey, Legionnaire #48 out of 49," Tenzil winked. "And please, tonight, call me Matter-Eater Lad - I even wore my costume for this!" He tugged at his green-and-black costume, with the shiny white tooth insignia on his chest. "Everyone's in full regalia!"

"You didn't make cupcakes with MY skin color when we were inducted!" Amp teased. "And vanilla doesn't count, Tenzil!" she pressed before Tenzil could respond. Hugging Lamprey close, she kissed her friend on the cheek. "All our training sessions together paid off, look at us now!"

"I'm just so glad, Ming, so glad."

"So are we," Kid Quantum smiled as she grabbed a red cupcake. "Say, Lamprey, can I borrow you for a moment?" Behind Jazmin were Density and Chemical Kid. Jed was beaming like a star, and had his arm around Condo. "Man, we're finally gonna go on missions together!" Jed squeezed Condo's shoulder. "Tel is already planning how to redecorate our room..."

"I hate to bring business up during this celebration," Jazmin said. Density and Lamprey both listened attentively, while Condo looked a bit embarrassed. "So I'll keep it short - Condo's going to transmit the press release tomorrow morning. But I wanted to ask you both... some UP delegates have been making noise about the Legion having a disproportionate number of members from Earth, and not enough from other planets. Now, I have to repeat again that we voted you in based on merit, without considering origin, but given that Jed's father is from Quothon, and Tayla's mother is from Neptune, would you mind if we used both your homeworlds in our press release?"

"Not a problem," Jed shrugged. "Haven't been on Quothon since I was three, but no big. Though my father moved to Earth when he was a kid himself."

"I was born on Earth, and so was my mother," Tayla said cautiously. "I only reacquired Neptunian citizenship because my grandparents still live there. Though I know Berta also announces herself as being from Earth and Enwa both, so I'm fine with embracing my Neptune heritage."

"Great," Jazmin smiled. "I'm sorry we have to think about imaging, but..."

"We are more effective if sentients trust and like us," Condo finished with a shy smile. "A lesson I learned while working in media."

"Now, go and have fun, you two!" Jazmin ushered the two back into the crowd. "Oh, and - don't drink too much. XS, Gates and Kinetix will see you in Brainiac 5's lab tomorrow at 10."

"Uh, okay?" Jed and Tayla looked at each other, then shrugged. Soon, Tayla found herself chatting with Inferno and Blizzard about combining their powers; while Jed was trying not to stare at Ultra Boy's abs as he chatted with him and Tinya, pointing out that they represented two of the three married couples on the team and should get together more socially...

Over at the buffet table, Sizzle was smiling at Wildfire and Timber Wolf. "Thank you both, for your confidence in me," she said.

"Hey, kid, you earned it," Wildfire gave a thumbs up. "You're a quick study."

"You definitely think fast," Timber Wolf winked. "Just glad you made the decision to trust yourself, kid. Hey, why the long face, Cham?"

Chameleon looked up. "Oh, just thinking about the weirdness with Brawler. One of our Cadets, somehow compromised and changed... when did it happen? How did it start? I think we'll need to start digging into his movements. But..." he shook his head visibly, then approached Sizzle with a smile. "But let's not let that dampen tonight, eh? You're a full Legionnaire now, Sizzle, welcome! And you know you have to dance to celebrate, right?" Sizzle giggled as Chameleon pulled her towards the dance floor.

Tellus watched as most of the Legionnaires began to gather in the middle of the room. Then he turned to his companions. "I appreciate... your... asking again... Gates and Sensor, but..."

Gates clicked his beak in exasperation. "But, you seem so reluctant to admit your capabilities, Tellus!"

"Leave it, Gates," Sensor said calmly but forcefully. "Tellus is the best individual to judge whether he is ready."

"Oh, but we should get more non-bipeds on the team!" Gates fumed. "And really, Tellus, you got a strong majority wanting you to join..."

"I thank you all indeed..." Tellus intoned. "But... I... do not feel ready to... live up to your high opinion of me..."

"It's fine, Tellus." Everyone turned to see Live Wire. "I'm usually the impatient one, but I get it... If you don't feel ready, you don't feel ready."

"Bah!" Gates threw his hands up. Live Wire laughed. "Maybe we can look at your training plan, Tellus. See which areas you would most like to improve in."

"Well..." Tellus hesitated. "I mean no offense... Live Wire... but..."

"Go on, what is it?"

"I... just... dealing with... sentient mammalian minds... is... a challenge... for me..."

"Hmm...this looks beyond my pay grade, but maybe Imra can consult with Aven and propose something..."

"But for now," Sensor interrupted firmly. "Tonight is a night to celebrate, and celebrate we shall."

And so, celebrate they did.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/23/22 03:28 PM.
Updated Roll Call (Dec 23, 2022)
Invisible Brainiac #1021332 12/22/22 05:18 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Updated Legion Roll Call.

Definitions: quoted from LSH Secret Files 2

1) Active members - must have at least one genuine and intrinsic super-power (which does not need to be unique relative to all other current active members); be able to fully control said power; and be courageous and of good character
2) Reserve members - must be a former active member, an honorary member, or a worthy candidate for active membership not elected to active membership
3) Honorary members - not defined; may be proposed by any Active member

IB's note - for Honorary members, I've also listed the reasons why they were elected to Honorary status

Active Legionnaires

Kid Quantum II, Jazmin Cullen of Xanthu; time manipulation. Current Legion leader.

Andromeda, Laurel Gand of Daxam; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers, flight
Apparition, Tinya Wazzo of Bgztl; intangibility
Babbage, I-45ENG/Nth Series of Robotica; combat mechanoid
Blizzard, Brek Bannin of Tharr; cold projection
Brainiac 5, Querl Dox of Colu; 12th level intelligence and force field powers
Calorie Queen, Taryn Loy of Bismoll; consume all forms of matter, and conversion of same into super-strength
Chemical Kid, Condo Arlik of Phlon; controls chemical reactions
Density, Jed Rikane of Earth (Mongolia and Nepal) and Quothon; controls his body's density
Dreamer, Nura Nal of Naltor; precognition
Echo, Troy Stewart of Earth (South Africa and Trinidad and Tobago); sound manipulation
Element Lass, Candi "Princess" Pyponte-LeParc III of Xanthu; transmutation
Ferro, Andrew Nolan of 20th century Earth (USA); previously could turn his body into durable iron, but now stuck in his iron form
Gear, I.Z.O.R. of Linsnar; bio-mechanical techno-morphing
Inferno, Dirk Morgna of Earth (USA and Russia); pyrokinesis, can see heat signatures
Insect Queen, Lonna Leing of Xanthu; morphs into various insect forms, gaining the powers of the forms she takes
Invisible Kid, Lyle Norg of Earth (Australia and Israel); invisibility
Karate Kid, Val Armorr of Omega Colony (Earth colony: Japan and Myanmar); skilled martial artist
Kinetix, Zoe Saugin of Aleph; telekinesis and animation of objects; affinity for magic
Lamprey, Tayla Skott of Earth (Maldives and Palau) and Neptune; underwater survival; hydrokinesis
Live Wire, Garth Ranzz of Winath; electricity generation and manipulation
Lume, of Silvan; energy being made of light
Mentalla, Delya Castil of Titan; telepathic control of others' physical functions
Microbe, Drura Sehpt of Somahtur; control harmful and beneficial microorganisms
M'Onel, Lar Gand of Daxam; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers, flight
Particon, Jennifer Sanchez of Earth (India and Philippines); "hard light" energy casting and manipulation
Saturn Girl, Imra Ardeen of Titan; telepathy
Shikari Lonestar of the Kwai; pathfinding, armored skin and claws allowing for flight and survival in space
Sizzle, Teela Spuunvil of Abaddonus; absorbs and converts energy
Spark, Ayla Ranzz of Winath; electricity generation and manipulation
Spider-Girl, Sussa Paka of Luna; prehensile hair
Star Boy, Thom Kallor of Xanthu; gravity manipulation
Timber Wolf, Brin Londo of Zuun; enhanced speed, strength, durability, senses and regenerative powers
Umbra, Tasmia Mallor of Talok VIII; darkfield casting
Violet, Salu Digby of Imsk; shrinks and grows own body
White Witch, Mysa of Zarrox; sorcery
Wildfire, Drake Burroughs (energy gestalt of two beings); anti-energy being
XS, Jenni Ognats of Aarok; super-speed

Reserve Legionnaires (Not Legion Cadets or Support Staff)

Dragonmage, Xao Jin of New Shanghai (Earth colony); sorcery (teacher)
Magnetic Kid, Pol Krinn of Braal; magnetokinesis (magno-ball athlete)
Thunder, Cece Beck of 90th century Binderaan; SHAZAM-empowered human with enhanced strength, speed, durability, stamina, wisdom and flight powers

Reserve Legionnaires (also Legion Support Staff)

Chlorophyll Kid, Ral Benem of Mardru; accelerated plant growth (Disaster Relief & Development)
Impulse, Kent Shakespeare of Earth (United Kingdom: England); enhanced speed, strength, durability and recuperative abilities (Legion World chief medical doctor)
Matter-Eater Lad, Tenzil Kem of Bismoll; consume and digest all forms of matter (Legion World head chef)
Mandalla, Tari Wahlmunn of Takron-Galtos; projects a thought-sphere that affects the target's mental and physical functions (Legion medical staff)
Tomb, unpronounceable of Sarccus; controls others' bodily functions (Legion medical staff)

Reserve Legionnaires (Still in the Legion Cadet program) - Partial List

Arachno of Arachnidia; enhanced abilities of spiders
Catspaw, April Dumaka of Earth (Ghana and Tanzania); enhanced agility, speed and claws, cat-like senses
Comet Queen, Grava of Quaal III; super-speed flight and emission of comet-like gases
Crystal Kid, Bobb Kohan of Earth (Brazil and Peru); crystal generation and manipulation
Dragonwing, Marya Pai of Earth (Singapore and Tibet); breathes fire and secretes acid venom
Flying Fox of H'lven; levitation, enhanced agility and strength, claws
Rainbow, Dori Aandraison of Xolnar; rainbow-based light powers
Veilmist of Khundia and ??; teleportation
Vision, Rhent Ustin of Earth (Egypt and Spain); microscopic, telescopic, heat, freeze, and hypnotic vision

Other Legion Cadets - Partial List

Aquamarine of Mellorus; induces transformations in self and others to land-based, water-based, or air-based forms
Battering Ram, Louie Lee of Pluto; concussive force blasts
Calamity, Eryk Davis Ester of Touston; disintegrates objects uncontrollably
Dolphin, F'e1lpz of Dili-Tawi; can hold his breath indefinitely
Dream Boy and Dream Girl; Apollo and Artemis Chiang of Eros; charismatic attraction of those attracted to their sex
Fauna, Cats-Eye of Starhaven; animal empathy and borrowing of animal attributes
Healer, Mend'rr of Jaquaa; accelerates natural healing by borrowing strength from others
Martin Anderson of Luna; pyrokinesis
The Mess, Meyer Qayd of the Sol Asteroid Belt; telekinesis affecting small-diameter objects
Neuron, A'rmie of Gil'd; telepathy, electricity generation
Paragon, Solana Xatu of Korugar; boosts others' confidence
Polecat, Dafe Meron of Venus; emits a foul stench
Swallowtail of Swizzar; flight, scales from wings can refract light and cause effects such as hallucinations, sleep, paralysis
Uplift, Cera Kesh of Earth (Antarctica); levitation
X-Bomb Betty, Betty Shell of Ventura; causes small explosions

Uncanny Amazers of Xanthu - have a cross-Reservist arrangement with the Legion

Atmos, Marak Russen of Xanthu; nuclear energy blasts, flight, enhanced strength and durability
Kal Bodo of Xanthu; phrenology and psychometry activated upon touching another's head
Konk!, of Xanthu; detachable floating head, if she fails to reattach her head to her body, a new one with a different personality grows
Night Girl, Lydda Jath of Kathoon; super-strength in darkness
Porcupine Pete, Peter Dursin of Earth (Jamaica and Mexico); ejects quills from his body
Radion, Roy Travich of Earth (Italy and Madagascar); flight and emission of radiation
Spectrum, Ulu Vakk of Lupra; changes the color of people and objects

Heroes of Lallor - have a cross-Reservist arrangement with the Legion

Beastmaster, Ilshu Nor of Lallor; transform into any animal
Hotshot, Staq Mavlen of Shwar; breathes fire
Splitter, Floyd Belkin of Lallor; ability to detach his limbs from his torso
Stone Boy, Dag Wentim of Zwen; turns self into stone
Vapor, Tal Nahii of Lallor; transforms her body into gases

Honorary Legionnaires (they get flight rings too!)

Rene Jacques Brande of unknown; telepathy of unknown levels (See L* 52!); Legion Founder/Financier and United Planets Ambassador to the Second Galaxy (recognized for founding the Legion! and being their continued supporter all throughout)

Shvaughn Erin of Earth (Ireland and Montenegro); Science police captain and Legion Liaison Officer (recognized for helping the Legion on several missions, such as being stranded in the 20th century (LSH 85-100), resisting the Blight (Legion of the Damned LSH 122), and piercing the Robotican shield (Legion 14)

Superboy, Kon-El of 20th century Earth/Krypton; tactile telekinesis that simulates super-strength, flight and invulnerability (recognized for helping save Valor - now M'Onel - from the Phantom Zone in L* 31)

IB's note: prior to receiving his powers, Rebound (Chuck Taine) was also an Honorary Legionnaire, for helping the Legion vs. the Rift (Widening Rifts, LSH 124-125/L* 81) and as part of the SUBS (Legion Worlds 3, Legion 1-4). A depowered Magno (Dyrk Magz) also kept Honorary status after losing Active status, due to playing key roles in missions such as defeating the Fatal Five (LSH 121) and resisting the Blight/helping against the Rift (Legion of the Damned/Widening Rifts).

Other Legion Support Staff or residents of Legion World (staff also get flight rings as a matter of practicality, but are not honored to the same level as Honorary Legionnaires

Cannus of Anthropologia; skilled tracker, canine senses and abilities (Search & Rescue)
Cub Wazzo-Nah of Bgztl and Rimbor; son of Apparition and Ultra Boy, confirmed phasing abilities
Dr. Gym'll of Jaquaa; Legion physician
Dr. Ryk'rr of Jaquaa; Legion psychiatrist
Dr. Mollie Dennum of Hephaestus; materials scientist
Gigi Cusimano of Mars; Science police lieutenant and commander of the Science Police contingent on Legion World
Lenzslo Philish of Athram; lead of the Legion World Athramite contingent; chief designer
Lori Morning of 20th century Earth (USA); RJ Brande's adopted daughter
Mabuhay Corazon of Aleph; fashion design student and Legion costume consultant; childhood friend of Kinetix
Marla Latham of Earth (Germany and Sweden); Legion adult advisor
M'rissey of Mercury; advanced scenario modelling; manager of the Legion's Disaster Relief and Development arm
Proty of Vyrga; shapeshifting and limited telepathy
Question, Akiko Li of Venus; makes people question their inner motivations; Intelligence and Negotiation
Rond Vidar of Earth (Greece and Iran); scientist specializing in time studies
Theena of unknown; attached to a symbiotic alien able to open "viewscreens" allowing communication across distances (Communications, Search & Rescue)
Vampire, Jackie Idonno of Hermaphrodite; energy draining field (Clean-Up)

Other Allies

Devlin O'Ryan of Xanthu; reporter
Hannah Wells of Earth (France and Mali); reporter
Hegga Hanzo of Winath; Science police officer on Winath; childhood friend of Spark and Live Wire (along with her twin Megga, with the UP Aid Program)
Micah Aven of Titan; extremely skilled telepath and tutor of the most promising adepts
Sandy Anderson of Luna (formerly Inferno of the Workforce); pyrokinesis
Winema Wazzo of Bgztl; United Planets President
The Wolfpack of Rimbor; Timber Wolf's former gang (leader Crody; Hubble, Mash, Race, Rn'drr)
Yera Liggle of Durla; shapeshifting (actress)
Zarox Lux of Colu; 10th level intelligence (UP Disaster Coordination)

The Workforce of McCauley Industries; may be called upon by the Legion and United Planets in grave emergencies

Amber of Dendron, projects a sap-like gel
Evolvo, Sev Tcheru of Lallor; shifts self between human evolutionary states, including a super-strong ape-man and a telekinetic, hyper-intelligent futuristic human; current CEO of McCauley Industries
Lupine of unknown, wolf-like humanoid form
Sandstorm of Mica, body composed of animate dust particles
Survivor, Oulan Calhoun of Mars; enhanced durability and endurance, UP Navy training; field leader of the Workforce

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/09/23 05:12 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021333 12/22/22 05:19 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
And because our emojis are so cool

(ones without emojis are either canon characters from one of the realities, or my original characters)

KidQuantumII AmpGirl Andromeda Apparition Babbage PolarBoy1 Brainiac51 CalorieQueen Chameleon ChemicalKing CosmicBoy1 PowerBoy Dreamer Tyroc Monstress Ferro Gates Gear :Gravity: SunBoy InsectQueen InvisibleKid1 KarateKid1 Kinetix Lamprey LiveWire Lume Magno Mentalla InfectiousLass MOnel1 Nightwind1 Particon ChuckTaine SaturnGirl1 Sensor Shikari Sizzle Spark SpiderGirl StarBoy1 TimberWolf1 Triad UltraBoy1 Umbra Violet WhiteWitch Wildfire1 XS

Dragonmage MagneticKidII Thunder Cannus ChlorophyllKid Impulse MatterEaterLad Mandalla Theena Tomb

Arachno Catspaw CometQueen CrystalKid :Dragonwing: :FlyingFox: RainbowGirl Retro Tellus Veilmist VisiLad

:Aquamarine: :Armie: :BatteringRam: CalamityKing :Dolphin: :DreamBoy and DreamGirl: :Fauna: :Healer: :MartinAnderson: Mess :Paragon: Polecat :Swallowtail: CeraKesh XBombBetty

Atmos :KalBodo: :Konk!: NightGirl PorcupinePete Radion ColorKid

BeastBoy FireLad ArmFallOffBoy StoneBoy GasGirl

:RJBrande: :ShvaughnErin: :Cub: Reflex :DrGymll: :DrRykrr: :DrMollieDennum: :HannahWells: :Hegga and Megga: :Lenszlo: LoriMorning :Mabuhay: MarlaLatham :MicahAven: MRissey Proty :Question: RondVidar :SandyAnderson: :Vampire: :WinemaWazzo: :Wolfpack: :Yera: :ZaronLux:

:Amber: EvolvoLad: :Lupine: :Sandstorm: :Survivor:

Visiting other Legions
Invisible Brainiac #1021347 12/23/22 11:44 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World, Brainiac 5's lab

Brainiac 5, Querl Dox of Colu; 12th level intelligence and force field powers
Calorie Queen, Taryn Loy of Bismoll; consume all forms of matter, and conversion of same into super-strength
Chemical Kid, Condo Arlik of Phlon; controls chemical reactions
Density, Jed Rikane of Earth (Mongolia and Nepal) and Quothon; controls his body's density
Echo, Troy Stewart of Earth (South Africa and Trinidad and Tobago); sound manipulation
Element Lass, Candi "Princess" Pyponte-LeParc III of Xanthu; transmutation
Inferno, Dirk Morgna of Earth (USA and Russia); pyrokinesis, can see heat signatures
Kinetix, Zoe Saugin of Aleph; telekinesis and animation of objects; affinity for magic
Lamprey, Tayla Skott of Earth (Maldives and Palau) and Neptune; underwater survival; hydrokinesis
Sizzle, Teela Spuunvil of Abaddonus; absorbs and converts energy
XS, Jenni Ognats of Aarok; super-speed

**********************************************************************************

"We're going on a field trip to another universe!" Echo was bouncing on his feet. "I can't believe it!" The rest of the Legionnaires present, mainly the newer ones, were also buzzing with excitement.

"Yup, a social call to that other Legion's universe," XS smiled. "Gates and I spent quite some time with them, you know."*

"So did I, though most of that was while I was absorbed by their Mordru," Kinetix quipped.*

"This trip is also a learning experience," Brainiac 5 admonished. "It is a different universe from ours, many similarities but also many differences. That's why we waited until now to arrange this meeting with our counterparts; the barrier between our universes thins irregularly, and we have a good crop of new recruits and a returnee* to introduce." Several of the new Legionnaires brightened visibly at Querl's praise.

"I'm glad I could come along again," Chemical Kid was a tad giddy. "Lyle and I visited before to bring news, but I didn't get to meet that many of them."

"Now, don't dawdle," Brainiac 5 continued. "We have three hours for this visit, any longer and we risk being trapped. And I still have to examine Brawler when we return..."

*************************************************************************************

In another Legion's universe

The visit started off a bit formally, at first. The other Legion's leader, Phantom Girl, a version of Apparition, greeted them. They got a short tour of the HQ, then filed into a meeting room for a presentation of this Legion's membership, history and duties.

"There sure are many more Boy, Girl, Lad, Lass codenames here," Density whispered to Amp. "Tell me about it... I might not have dropped the Girl from my codename if I existed here," Amp whispered back.

Brainiac 5, and especially Gates, pointed out key differences this Legion had - such as a 25-member limit for much of its history (Sizzle had gasped that she would never have gotten in with a membership cap like that!); a no-duplication of powers rule (Gravity had said the same!); not always being an official arm of the United Planets (Echo had leaned forward at that); and having a Legion Academy instead of a Legion Cadet program.

Gates rather bluntly said this was probably why several rejected Legion applicants became outright villainous, prompting the other Phantom Girl to acknowledge that her Legion could have done better, but also that those villainous rejects had been trouble to begin with psychologically; and she had rather deftly asked about how Cadet Brawler was doing. "I read the briefing your Brainiac 5 sent over," she winked as Gates turned quiet.

"We've also supplied your team with a great portion of our own archives," she continued, smiling without a hint of satisfaction at shutting Gates up. "So you can peruse on your own time... let's use the rest of our time to actually get to know each other."

And she had led the group to a large cafeteria with drinks, snacks, and a good dozen of the other team beaming at them.

*************************************************************************************

"Hey, little bug!" The other Timber Wolf high-fived Gates. Gates replied, "Hey, hairy mammal!" Amp almost spit out her drink.

Gates eyed her. "Am I surprising you, Amp?"

Embarrassed, Amp wiped at her mouth. "Ah... it's just... well, I know you have a sense of humor, but this is really much more casual than I expected from you, Gates."

"Brin and I were trapped in this reality's 21st century for a bit," Gates explained. "Having been through that once in our own time** made me try to cope in, uh, different ways."

"Anyway, I'm Timber Wolf, and I suppose you've met my counterpart?" The Other Brin shook Amp's hand.

"Yeah... I'm Amp, I don't think I have a counterpart here..."

"Maybe not yet," the Other Brin smiled. "Who knows what will happen?"

Density and Gravity stared through the viewscreen at their counterparts, both of whom were former Academy students and Science Police officers in this reality. They'd already read the files, so knew the story; the other Jed had graduated from the Academy without a Legion membership offer; the other Tel would have gotten an offer for helping beat a villain, but decided to leave as one of his classmates had died in that fight.***

"I think we're only a few years older than you two?" Other Jed asked, looking their counterparts up and down.

"I think so," Tel replied. "We, uh, look good in Science Police uniforms."

"Kinda sexy," Jed sent through their tele-plugs. "Too bad they're not here, we four could..."

"Jed! Not now!" Tel fought to keep from blushing. "Also, they are us in a way, that's like..."

"Come onnn Tel, you know we've talked about what it would be like to do naughty stuff with ourselves," Jed sent back. "Though I don't usually go for older dudes, but they're not that much older..."

And on the other side of the viewscreen, the Other Jed was saying, "And I don't usually go for younger dudes, but..."

"Let's talk about it later, honey," the Other Tel playfully pinched his husband's bottom. "Let's not make this weird." Clearing his throat, he beamed at their younger counterparts. "So, uh, has becoming Legionnaires been all you dreamed of?"

XS was pulling Sizzle along. "I didn't stay active with this team that long, but I did make a few good friends I want to introduce you to!"

"Please, XS," Sizzle tried not to throw up. XS had carried her once in training, but even some of the most veteran Legionnaires had said that kind of super-speed would take getting used to! "I'm still trying to remember to use Phantom Girl for their Tinya, instead of Apparition! Can we take a break?"

"Oh, Lightning Lass! Shrinking Violet!" XS dashed to two women. "Meet Sizzle, she's new!"

"Just joined yesterday, and it's been a whirlwind," Sizzle smiled self-deprecatingly as she shook hands.

"So our counterparts haven't made it to the big leagues yet, eh?" Dragonwing folded her hands over her chest.

"Our Dragonwing and Comet Queen are Reservists and Cadets in good standing," Lamprey began carefully. So far, this Marya and Grava seemed very much like her own, but you never knew...

"I'm sure our brilliant selves are gonna reach Big Bang level soon!" Comet Queen clapped her hands. Lamprey only understood her because of practice with her own Grava!

"So, is my counterpart free, you think?" Lamprey scanned the crowd. "I know she's in the Science Police, but if you're in touch with her, do you think I can call her while she's on break?"

"Oh, uh, she's been like asteroidally frenzied with work," Grava began. Tayla raised an eyebrow; another commonality of Gravas appeared to be their utter inability to lie.

"Oh, cut it out, Grava," Marya shook her head. "Look, our Lamprey was in the Academy class ahead of us, and she's definitely not yet over graduating without a Legion offer. We asked her, but she blew us off." Tayla gripped her drink in consternation. "She used to say that maybe if she had your powerset, she could have gotten in as it was more unique*****, but our Lydda said that she just didn't do well enough in the tests, and that was that."

"Oh, I see..." Tayla was shaken. Hearing this, she appreciated her own Legion's view on second chances a bit more. "Are either of you in contact with her? I'd love to pass a message along..."

"Oh, that would be starshiney!" Grava clapped. "Here's my Omnicom, nebula!"

Tayla smiled in thanks, and she began to write. Imagine that, encouraging her alternate universe self not to give up, and to appreciate herself...

"Looks like the Brainiacs are having a nerdgasm," Sun Boy tilted his head towards Querl and Querl. The two Coluans were talking animatedly - for them - as they viewed a holo-dashboard of each others' experiments.

"Heh, maybe we should slip some porn links in there, see how they react," Inferno winked as he sipped his drink.

Sun Boy threw back his head as he laughed. "So, younger me, you bedded anyone from the team yet?"

Inferno bought time by sipping his drink a bit more. Five minutes into their conversation, it had become apparent that his counterpart was considerably more indulgent. Dirk himself had always abided by the "don't sprock where you work" policy... and also, he found flirting fun in itself, an act of wits and getting attention. This Dirk seemed like a bona fide sex machine. Of course, this universe's version of his dad seemed a lot less attentive and loving than his own dad, so maybe that was why. He mentally made a note to call his father tomorrow. Looking his counterpart in the eye, he answered. "Ah, I don't play around where I work," Dirk said. "I still remember the one and only employee I slept with, at dad's place. He fell in love with me, and when I said I wasn't interested in anything serious, he smashed his Omnicom and quit on the spot."

"Whoa, hold on, hold on!" Sun Boy held up his hands. "He? Like a man?"

Dirk's jaw dropped. "You're not bisexual?"

"Straight as an Elvabird feather!" Sun Boy answered. "But hey, different universes, you know." He downed his drink, then poured another. "So, is it true that guys do it better than girls?"

Inferno looked around to make sure nobody else was in earshot. "Well..." and for the next half hour, the two Dirks traded stories on their escapades, and tips on acts each thought the other would like to try.

Calorie Queen willed herself to focus as she spoke to this reality's Tenzil Kem. But it was so difficult! The Legionnaires here were a little bit older... and they just seemed so much more mature and sexier! More revealing outfits, more suave... and while their Tenzil was a bit of a skinny beanpole, THIS Tenzil obviously worked out. Everyone here was just so mega-sexy!

"Yeah, our Tenzil was a chef first, and he's a really good one," Taryn replied.

"Hm, maybe I should try my hand at cooking," Tenzil winked.

"Oh please!" Taryn turned, and froze as she seemed to look into a mirror. It was her! A bit older, and with a considerably more revealing outfit, compared to her own costume in the standard Legion style, arms and legs covered. But her counterpart had cleverly cut holes in her outfit! "You couldn't cook a meal edible for a Bismollian, Kem!"

"Ah, Calorie Queen, meet Calorie Queen, my assistant in the Senate," Tenzil winked.

"Deputy, Kem. You agreed to that," older Taryn laughed. "So, nice to see my counterpart with a flight ring!"

Taryn swallowed, then shook her counterpart's hand. "Let me tell you about OUR Kem, I think you'll love the stories..."

Chemical Kid spied someone out of the corner of his eye at the buffet table, and turned. "Oh, Colossal Boy, Chameleon Girl! Good to see you!"

"Condo!" Gim beamed. "Hey, you remembered our codenames! I keep calling your Jed "Power Boy"," he confessed.

"Haha! I used to be a reporter, remembering stuff was part of the job," Condo smiled.

"Ah, yeah... our Condo had trouble controlling his powers from a young age, so he never really pursued a career..." Gim shuffled uncomfortably.

"Ah..." Condo looked down, wishing he could disappear into his plate."

Chameleon Girl chucked as she stepped in between the two. "Okay, boys, Brainiac 5 posited that there could be an infinite number of universes out there," she said as she extended her neck to kiss her husband on the cheek. "There are universes out there where each of us is evil, or dead... It just so happened we found one where each of you is dead." She grasped her husband's hand, and also patted Condo gently on the back. "I'm glad that my counterpart followed an easier path into the Legion's world than I did, at least. And I'm glad her acting career seems to be taking off faster than mine!""******

Gim and Condo looked sheepishly at each other. Taking a sudden burst of inspiration, Condo smiled. "Well, if you put it that way... I'd actually love to hear more about your Condo... and your Lyle."

Gim smiled warmly. "Only if you tell me more about your Gim, too."

"I never actually met our Gim, but..." Condo looked around, spotting Kinetix. "There's someone who knew him well! Hey, Zoe!"

Kinetix floated over. "hey, Condo... oh! and Yera and Gim!" She began tapping on her utility belt nervously.

"Um..." Condo bit his lip. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea. "We were just gonna share stories about our counterparts, and I thought you might want to..." he trailed off.

Zoe's face froze. Then she put her hand on her neck, and sighed. "Sorry, I'm being ridiculous. I, uh, flirted with our Gim for a bit," she confessed.

"Oh..." Gim looked like he wished he could shrink instead of grow.

"Oh no, no, I'm being a nasshed," Zoe smiled. "Our Gim's death taught me not to waste time, and now I'm dating a really good guy...***** You know, our Vi also had a big crush on him."

"OH!" Gim said again, and this time Yera fixed him with a stare and stamped on his foot. "Sorry, love," Gim said sheepishly. "Just not used to all that attention..."

Kinetix laughed as she telekinetically grabbed four fresh glasses and a bottle of punch. "Come on, let's go sit, and I'll tell you everything."

"A dimension-shifting island? Whew!" Echo spread his hands in surprise. "Now that's something! I don't think Marzal even exists on my Earth!"

"So I take it you led a normal life on Earth?" Tyroc asked. "How was it, growing up black?"

Echo's face turned serious. "I know history," he began. "But our Earth has changed since then... I've never felt different because of my skin color. Most UP planets now have the same physical differences we do... There are interplanetary tensions, like between our Braal and Titan, but it has nothing to do with looks."

Tyroc raised his hands. "Hey, well, not to paint a wrongly negative picture of our Earth, it's improved since then," he continued. "That's why I joined our Legion, they showed me how Earth had changed for the better."

"That's good to hear," Echo sipped his drink. "So, what WAS it like in Marzal's dimension?"

Tyroc chuckled as he grabbed a bottle of Venturan wine. "Brother from another Earth, we're going to need full drinks to get through all that."

Element Lass' heart wanted to break. She sat across the other Element Lad, and he looked just like their own Jan Arrah... just older, taller, a bit more mature, and quite a bit more muscular. But it was Jan. It was really Jan.

"So... I'm glad that there is still a transmuter in your Legion, too," Element Lad smiled. "I know the story.... about what happened to my counterpart... your Jan..."

"Yes, it was..." Candi struggled with her words. Their Jan... her Jan... "I choose to believe he didn't try to kill me, but rather to evolve me..."*********

"I choose to believe the same," Jan smiled.

"Element Lad... Jan... I..." Candi licked her lips. "I'm sorry, it's just..."

"It's okay," Jan smiled. Just like their Jan used to. He was so sweet and kind... "It's okay."

Sobbing, Candi broke down even as Jan comforted her.

Brainiac 5 looked up. "Legionnaires, we have to go."

Saying their goodbyes, the Legionnaires of two universes promised to meet again soon - this time with the other universe hosting. The two Brainiac 5s confirmed that they had arrived to the same calculations for the next time they could meet.

And the two teams parted ways again... but they knew they would meet again.

IB's notes:

1) XS and Gates were with the Retroboot Legion reality for a bit after the end of Legion of 3 Worlds, while Kinetix was absorbed by Mordru in Legion of 3 Worlds. See my Volume 2 for how they came back! Monstress/Element Lass was presumed dead during this time, too, so hasn't yet visited the Retroboot.

2) Poor Gates! First, part of the Team 20 storyline in LSH 85-100, then being part of Legion Lost vol 2!

3) Adventure Comics vol. 3 #529. Variable Lad dies stopping Cosmic King, who dies too

4) Retroboot Lamprey could generate bioelectric blasts instead of controlling water!

5) Reboot Yera is my creation, she joined the Cadet program for publicity to further her acting career; Retroboot Yera, as we all know, impersonated Violet out of good faith for a time.

6) Kinetix is dating Blizzard now. For her mutual flirting with Gim, see LSH 66, LSH 67, L* 37 and L* 39. And for Violet's one-sided crush on Gim, see LSH 76, LSH 83, L* 40, L* 52 - Reboot Gim's death was the trigger for Vi going full Emerald Violet!

7) See Legion Lost vol 1... Element Lad became the godlike Progenitor, and killed Monstress then. Her return is my doing, see Volume 3!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/09/23 05:13 AM.
Re: Visiting other Legions
Invisible Brainiac #1021473 12/29/22 04:56 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey IB, you've been busy! I'll try to get through as much as possible though might run out of time before the end.

Ral working in the disaster relief team is inspired! Great idea and looking forward to seeing more of this side of your team.

Brawlers dream is worrying...

Retro's introspection is well done. He really was an idiot last time so good to see a bit of character growth there. Your Retro is very different to mine so I'm keen to see where you take him. Rainbow was a bit to eager to chat there, wasn't she? Love these little interactions that show how they react to each other. Retor's doubts as everyone else was offered another role isn't going t feed well into his insecurities. Are you setting him up to become a bitter potential villain? Sarge Stuffypants, hahaha! Ah. will Retro save the day when Brawler tries to live out his dream?

The Jan Arrah hall? Nice! Cleverly carrying on from Retro's comment in canon. And nice that Amp and Babbage are there to represent former cadets too.

Battering Ram - yay, you are creating your own characters IB, hoping there will be more! Healer, cool, the team need more members with helpful abilities like that which are non-destructive, though I suppose potentially he could knock out opponents by draining their energy. And nice character work on X-Bmb Betty - the Nura-esque confidence alongside her fear of hurting people.

M'Rissey is a great background character, isn't he? Disaster Relief is perfct for his skills.Cera Kesh, ummm didn't she become the Emerald empress? Interesting that you bring her in, perhaps this time she'll have a more positive storyline. Calamity getting support so he can live an ordinry life is poignant, shows another side to the cadet program.

Glow-Worm - massive fail! And, indeed a justifiable use of the power-inhibiting regualtions. The first real potential villain in your try out so far.

Fauna - your Animal Man, but with access to an inter-galactic array of animals to mimic. Looking forward to seeing how she goes, could be very interesting, though the obvious limitation is she can't exactly carry a zoo around with her. Neuron the Brain Globe - ace! I do love alien legionnaires. Survivor - was that a set-up to get someone onto the Workforce? The Mess - haha, I always saw him like some character from Peanuts. Good of you to take him on and give him some credibility.

Akiko Li - the Question - that's somene I imagine the secrey service would want pretty badly!

So, your Gazelle and Turtle are of to join the SPs, hopefully we'll see them again. Swallowtail - another Oc? And another non-humanois character - great stuff. They have an interesting powerset and it'll be interesting to see where you take them.

Aquamarine is interesting - wonder if they can alter beings to survive in space, or lava, or a methane atmosphere? Dream Boy and Dream Girl - great to see their abilities being on the right side of the law (so far!) as often these attractive ypes are villains - Charma and also Apollo from the Devil's Dozen spring to mind. Vampire is interesting, and neat use for them being part of the Disaster crew. Paragon is certainly unique - boost confidence in others? That could be pretty useful, so long as she stays on the teams side. Again this is the sort of sneaky power that would usually be given to a villan, so it'll be fun seeing what you do with her in future.

So, I'm out of time for today but will try to finish this off tomorrow for you. Really enjoyed it so far and of course I'm looking forward to more, more, more!

Re: Visiting other Legions
Invisible Brainiac #1021480 12/29/22 10:33 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
hi Harbi, what a treat to read your commentary, thank you again for making time!

Indeed, I'm glad to find places for some great characters, like Ral, who may not fit on the "main" team (either due to powers, personality, or there simply being so many of them already!)

Our Retros sure are different, yours is gearing up to become an ace Legionnaire, mine is a bit of a slacker tongue It does look like Retro's future will be brighter than Brawler's, at least!

thanks, glad you like some of these originals smile X-Bomb Betty in particular was a touch of inspiration, as she came across quite mean and snotty in her one SW6 appearance... so I'm glad to give her some hidden depths

you remember correctly, Cera Kesh did become the Emerald Empress in the SW6 continuity smile

Glow-Worm is a total idiot, though he's more uncaring and unempathetic than totally evil smile but indeed, villain potential!

Let's say the Legionnaires saw a good opportunity with Survivor, someone who would make Evolvo happy - so win win wink she's not exactly a spy, but will help keep Evolvo in check

I love me my SPs, so Gazelle and Turtle will show up from time to time don't worry smile

ooh, you make some good comments re Aquamarine, thank you! I can see a natural evolution of her powers!

Dream Boy and Dream Girl were indeed inspired by Apollo and Charma smile thought it would be interesting to see how those powers could be spun for good

thanks tons Harbi, really appreciate it!

Page 37 of 49 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,962
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Nick Vinson
Nick Vinson
Texas
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star