Roll Call
0 members (), 43 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 49 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 48 49
Re: Visiting other Legions
Invisible Brainiac #1021521 12/30/22 08:20 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Back for more, yay, will comment as I read...

Your Retro is really believeable: He's kind of special and wants more than his lot at home, but doesn't realise how tough striking out on his own will be. Hopefully his chance overhearing of Brawler will lead to a redemption arc.

Nice charascterisation of Tel and Jed. unny we all have Tel as up-tight laugh Berta showing support for Tayla was sweet too.

An escape room? Haha great test actually, let's see them use their wits. Haha it would be Brin who'd want to see them fight. Nice move from Tayle, condensing water vapor like that.Tel wondering if the team had that been cavalier when he go through was funny.

Sizzle and Tellus to the rescue? Rather than a VR battle it looks like they'll have a real one to fight, ah the irony.

Gandpa's computer? Invisible enemy? okay... so the VR has gone rogue - yikes! That's right, Brawler has some IT ability. Though I don't remember you writing hm being able to maniplate reality like this, he's had a serious power upgrade. He took out the Legionnaires fairly efficiently too, so that's a worry.

"and stepped through...

... and was met with a purple fist in his face!"

Hahaha not what I expected at all. Jed and Tayla to the rescue! Very nice use of her abilities there too.

Great use of the cadets to take down Brawler, and nice to see them adapting quickly when their plans didn't work. So, of all the cadets, due to his lack of confidence Tellus probably wouldn't get my vote, but I'll wait and see where you take it.

"one must be as seaweed and go with the tide... but also that one must be like the coral, slowly and steadily growing..." great advice generally.

So, Retro didn't make it, and given this insight into his character I totally get why he shouldn't.

Brawler was manipulated and the mystery villain is... will have to wait and see, though throwing in the return of Mordru fpr now smile

Interesting that the team ask their new recruits to keep quiet about their Terran heritage, though it's a fair point really.

Nicely considered interactions between the new members and old-guard, though this stood out as it gave me a laugh - " Jed was trying not to stare at Ultra Boy's abs"

And so Tellus turned down membership. My initoial thought was "all the better to spy on the team for his masters in the Dark Circle..." but surely having one cadet being used the team is enough, two would be a great risk. But, anyway, I don't think your version of Tellus is ready for the team yet so am relieved he declined.

And so, celebrate they did. - great stuff! Nice ending to this part of your epic IB, and I've ran out of time again so will star my review next time at your membership list.

This is great fun, you've given us new members of the team, a new mystery and a feeling of a fresh start going forward. Looking forward to more, more, and much more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #1021525 12/30/22 02:02 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
yay! more comments, thanks Harbi smile

Glad Retro is ringing true!

yeah, what is it with Tel that it just is so fun and natural to make him uptight? or is it because Jed is so laidback, it's just natural...

happy that the Tayla/Jed curveball was not predictable tongue and you called it, Tellus (mine anyway) is just so unsure that I could not see him as a Legionnaire smile

I like your Mordru guess re Brawler's situation wink

glad Retro and Tellus not making it came through realistically, Harbi. ooh, Tellus as a Dark Circle mole would be a nice callback to TMK... (too bad as Tellus would indeed add some non-bipedal, non-mammalian diversity, but!)

as for Jed, I'm channeling some, uh, gay friends I have in real life - the ones who wear very revealing clothing and ogle all the cute guys tongue

and I'm pleased you liked it all Harbi, thanks tons!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/30/22 02:05 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021541 12/31/22 09:40 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Just caught up with the new Tryouts, and so far Aquamarine is my favorite, powers-wise. I like the idea of a character who can partially transform others to 'buff' them with animal abilities. Grow wings like a bird or gills and fins like a fish, for the appropriate environments, or perhaps other stuff like armored skin like a crocodile or great size and strength like an elephant? Making them an aquatic alien, using their power to operate out of water, is inspired (although I wish there was a picture somewhere of a Mellorian, so I had the slightest idea how to picture them in my head!).

I am intrigued by the notion of a Gil'd cadet as well, but I had no idea they had electrical generation powers, is that a Reboot thing? The 'old' version seemed to be mildly telepathic (enough to communicate, but never suggested to be anything really like a super-power like Saturn Girl) and have some abilities related to their teleportation tech (Hwyndyr could summon hostile forces through small portals for elemental attacks, Zymyr just created larger portals for transport).

It will be interesting to see if this Chinese-zodiac-themed group has any connection to what's going on with Brawler, who I suspect wasn't entirely an innocent pawn in some evil scheme, but had personal flaws that made him the ideal choice for their machinations...

I have always found the idea of a Chinese zodiac themed group to be amusing, because both Marvel (with China Force) and Aircel comics (with Dragon Ring/Dragonforce) have flirted with the concept, but stuck to 'cool' animals like Dragon and Tiger, Monkey and Snake, and kind of glossed over the less-cool animals like 'Pig' or 'Rabbit' or 'Rooster.' smile

Last edited by Set; 12/31/22 09:41 AM.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Invisible Brainiac #1021546 12/31/22 12:05 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
hi Set, glad you're liking!

re Mellorus, wish I could scan and upload here, I'm not techie enough for that.... a Mellorus person appeared in exactly one issue of the Reboot smile

Re Gil'd cadet, yes, the Reboot established that there are two Gil'd species: the Zymyr type, and the brains with tentacles in globes type - those are the ones with electrical powers too

you are absolutely correct, that Brawler had issues that were simply exploited. he's not completely brainwashed, but was already ripe for the plucking.

yeah, I've generally been disappointed with Zodiac themed groups in other publications tongue so I'm hoping to make this grouping more memorable... smile

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 12/31/22 12:06 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021555 12/31/22 01:12 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Oh yeah, loving to see more of Amp. She's one of my favorites among the 'new generation!'

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Invisible Brainiac #1021557 12/31/22 01:36 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Glad you’re liking Amp, Set smile I also love how useful her powers are

The Case of the Disappearing Daxamite
Invisible Brainiac #1021609 01/02/23 07:44 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

VOLUME 4: MOVING FORWARD

Legion World

Andromeda, Laurel Gand of Daxam; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers. flight
M'Onel, Lar Gand of Daxam; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers, flight

Andromeda fingered the red-sun bracelet that inhibited her powers. She insisted on wearing one while off-duty, even though as a Legionnaire she was exempt. Of all the United Planets worlds, only Daxamites needed to inhibit their natural abilities while off-world - a consequence of the White Triangle terrorist attacks* spearheaded by rogue, xenophobic and murderous Daxamites. Titanians had to wear a saturn symbol; and with Durlans going off-planet more often, there was talk that Durlans might need to wear something too, though their shapeshifting powers made that difficult.

Andromeda cleared her head as she looked at Obin Der, Daxam's Ambassador to the UP, and one of the few people outside the Legion that she trusted completely. And beside Obin were Linzi Rand and Armin Lur.

"I don't think we will need to bring you into protective custody just yet," Obin gently soothed Linzi and Armin**. They had been among the few dozen Daxamites who had migrated off-world since Andromeda herself had left; Daxamite culture was still very insular, even in the largest cities. Not everyone hated other races, of course, but most just weren't very used to it. Yet Armin's family were strong White Triangle supporters, while Linzi's were horrified at what the Triangle did. And so they had left without telling Armin's family where they were going - or even that they were in a relationship. A necessary measure to protect Linzi's family back home.

"I'm just so worried," Linzi began. "So is Con, even though he's moved in with that lovely Tharrian boyfriend of his, he's still a little edgy that his family will find him... I keep telling him that his homophobic parents will never leave Daxam, but he needs some time..." She buried her face in her hands. "I'm just glad that Daria is interning on Medicus One, she'll be safe there!"

Armin clutched Linzi's hand, lines of worry on his face. "Ambassador, have you heard from Dar Zel?"

"Dar is fine," Obin Der smiled soothingly. "He has no family on Daxam, so he doesn't need to keep a low profile." His smile turned serious; Obin Der's own family was either with him on Earth, or was under security detail back home; the White Triangle had been largely disbanded, but there were still many sympathetic to them. "And that leaves Teena..."

"We're a close group," Armin turned to Andromeda and M'Onel. "We left Daxam together, went through the cultural workshops and power training together, and we kept in touch..." Armin's own bracelet hung on his wrist. Each was calibrated just so, enough to give their wearers enhanced durability, strength, speed and flight - the UP wanted to ensure Daxamites off-world weren't a threat to others, but neither did they want them to be vulnerable to vengeful attacks. With this, Armin could fall down a cliff and be fine, but he wouldn't be able to knock someone's head off. A fine balance, indeed.

"Teena is such a lovely soul," Andromeda's voice was serious. She had met Teena once, and her spirit had uplifted Laurel. "I hope she's okay."

"We haven't heard from her in a week!" Linzi wrung her hands. "She was supposed to be travelling to Vyrga, then on to Talok VIII... She was always so fascinated by the less-touristed worlds!" She tugged unconsciously at her transuit. "What if she was exposed to lead?"

Obin Der placed his hands on the table, leaning slightly forward. "This is why we need your help, M'Onel, Andromeda. The Science Police are of course willing to take this case on, but a potential Daxamite disappearance..."

"If Teena falls into the wrong hands, it could be disastrous," M'Onel said grimly. He still remembered his own bout with lead poisoning; he thought every day about the dangers other Daxamites, besides he and Andromeda, faced.* He looked Linzi and Armin and Obin Der in the eyes. "I promise, we will find her."

Chameleon, Reep Daggle of Durla; shapeshifting
Invisible Kid, Lyle Norg of Earth (Australia and Israel); invisibility

Impulse, Kent Shakespeare of Earth (United Kingdom: England); enhanced speed, strength, durability and recuperative abilities (Legion World chief medical doctor and Reserve Legionnaire)

Brawler of Moxie; super-strength and durability, can mind-mesh with machinery to control it (former Legion Cadet)

Impulse looked up from the scans. "Sorry, gang. None of the tests detect anything unusual from Brawler's physiology. Other than his sudden boosted power levels."

Invisible Kid tapped a finger on his chin. "I know Brainy will hate to admit it, but... this reminds me of Magno's case***."

Impulse nodded. "Exactly like that. None of the tests could show what happened to him..."

"Mysa's on leave, and I don't want to call in Dragonmage just yet," Chameleon leaned against the wall. "But as soon as Mysa comes back, we should ask her to look at Brawler."

"In the meantime, Gear is reviewing our records," Lyle offered. "Checking the logs to see where Brawler has visited."

"The alternative is that he was compromised here on Legion World," Reep's voice was grim. "Our protocols help ensure that Cadets won't bump into random visitors, but..."

"Apparition, Spider-Girl and Violet are testing our security measures," Lyle offered. "Saturn Girl has scanned Brawler as well, but nothing has come up." A grim silence hung in the air. Reep considered; Brawler was only a Legion Cadet because he was one of three original students of the UP-run Legion Academy on Warnabros****... the Academy had shut down partly due to issues with student quality, where UP member worlds chose their own delegates without outside vetting. History bore this out, of the three Cadets, Cannus was rejected twice for cowardice; and Tomb showed no true interest in becoming a hero, opting instead for a support staff position. And then we had Brawler...

Chameleon's flight ring buzzed, putting an end to his reverie and the silence. After listening to his message, Reep saluted Lyle and Kent. "I'll leave you two gentleman, I have a mission. It will be a nice diversion..."

Andromeda, Laurel Gand of Daxam; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers. flight
Lume, of Silvan; energy being made of light
M'Onel, Lar Gand of Daxam; enhanced speed, strength, invulnerability, vision powers, flight
Shikari Lonestar of the Kwai; pathfinding, armored skin and claws allowing for flight and survival in space
Sizzle, Teela Spuunvil of Abaddonus; absorbs and converts energy

Shvaughn Erin of Earth (Ireland and Montenegro); Science police captain and Legion Liaison Officer (Honorary Legionnaire)

"So this is our away team, eh?" Chameleon looked around. "Small group, but excellently chosen."

"Shikari to track, Chameleon for detective work and sneaking into places, and Lume and Sizzle to power our two Daxamites up in case you end up on a red sun world?" Shvaughn smiled.

"Excellently done, not that I would expect anything less from our Legion Liaison," M'Onel smiled. "Only thing you missed is that Lume can sneak around, as well."

"Indeed, allow me to demonstrate," Lume smiled. It shifted its body into its normal form, that of a small firefly-like ball of light. It flitted once around the room, then back to its seat before transforming back into its more familiar humanoid form.

"And just one small correction," Shikari pointed out, not unkindly. "I don't really track, I don't really follow others... but my sense is more to find where we need to go. I wish I could explain it better than that."

"As long as it works," Andromeda smiled. "I know it irks Brainiac 5 not to be able to scientifically explain it, but the rest of us are just happy it works."

"We talk about Brainiac 5 a lot, don't we?" Sizzle was jumping in her seat. Andromeda blushed slightly; Mentalla and Dr. Ryk'rr were still helping her through her feelings about Brainiac 5. She had progressed enough to understand that she didn't feel love, but she still wasn't sure if it was a crush, some gratitude for him saving her life,****** Thanks for choosing me," Sizzle said, almost breathlessly. "My first mission!"

"You always remember your first," Shikari joked. "Wildfire always says that."

M'Onel and Shvaughn exchanged looks; being older than the average Legionnaire*****, they picked up on the adult implications of Wildfire's phrase. They both carefully avoided saying anything to Shikari. Instead, M'Onel smiled at Sizzle. "You've earned your Legion membership, Sizzle. I'm sure you'll do great on this mission."

"Here's all the Science Police know about Teena Dav's movements." Shvaughn slid an Omnicom over to Chameleon. "Last movement was tracked five days ago. Unfortunately, I have to follow protocol before we officially declare her missing and share the files with the Legion... but I have been getting a bit forgetful lately," she winked.

"Why, Shvaughn, do Brainy and Rond know how lax you are with the rules?" Reep winked.

Shvaughn grinned. "I may give them a hard time when they do their time travel studies, but we all know it's to prevent them from blowing up half of Legion World," she chuckled. Andromeda smiled at that; she had been caught in a Brainiac 5 lab explosion at least once before*******, and every time she had crossed paths with the team between leaving and rejoining, someone had made a joke about Querl Dox's destructive scientific habits. Shvaughn turned serious. "I hope Teena's okay, and I share your concerns that someone might want to exploit her Daxamite powers for the wrong ends."

Chameleon began to click through the Omnicom contents. "Let's go over what we know; then we'll adjourn so everyone can rest and get ready. We leave 10 solar hours sharp tomorrow."

As the others glanced at the screen, M'Onel sat beside Shvaughn. "Do you wish you could come along?" he placed a hand very gently on hers. He, too, was wearing a power-inhibiting bracelet; though he could control his powers well, he didn't want to risk hurting Shvaughn.

"I'd love to be in the field with you," Shvaughn smiled. "But I have my Legion liaison duties, and besides, this isn't an official case yet." Then she patted his arm and stood up. "Now, you have to listen to the briefing, too!"

M'Onel smiled and tapped his ear. "Super-hearing."

Shvaughn laughed. "Well, I don't have that, and I'm terrible at multi-tasking, so let me focus..." She caressed his shoulder. "But you will have my full attention when you get back."

"I'll hold you to that promise," M'Onel smiled. Then he turned to face Chameleon, who was already outlining a list of supplies to bring.

IB's notes:

1) The White Triangle storyline climaxed in Legionnaires Annual 2, fallout in LSH 72. Brainiac 5 invented a lead serum to cure Andromeda and M'Onel, but it is keyed to their genetic structures; using it on other Daxamites (except perhaps for close relatives) would turn them insane.

2) Besides Obin Der, who appeared a few times in the Reboot (e.g. Legionnaires 23, 27), all the Daxamites I mention by name, first appeared in volume 1 - the Andromeda entry!

3) Legionnaires 50-53: Magno lost his powers in battle against Mordru (L*50). In L* 53, we see him go through a battery of medical tests, none of which could figure out what happened to him.

4) I didn't make it up! Brawler, Cannus and Tomb debuted in Showcase '95 #6. This was the one and only appearance of the Legion Academy, which didn't actually appear as the whole story took place en route there. L*43 confirms that the Academy was closed. Cannus made his last canon appearance in L*43, while Brawler and Tomb never appeared in-canon again.

5) Brainiac 5 cured Andromeda's lead poisoning in LSH 70. Unfortunately, the lead serum is keyed to her genetic structure; using it on other Daxamites, such as the White Triangle's Action Cadre, turns them insane (L* Annual 2). This is why the other Daxamites need to wear transuits all the time. Only Andromeda and M'Onel have the lead serum.

6) Shvaughn Erin was established to be a few years older than the team (LSH Secret Files 1, LSH 94). As for M'Onel, physically he's on the upper end of the Legion age scale (I think it was revealed in a letter column somewhere, he was 16 when he joined, and by my reckoning he should be at least 21 now!), but mentally he spent 1000 years in the Phantom Zone as Valor, so...

7) Legionnaires 37, Brainy blew up half his lab when Andromeda came to say goodbye, cause she wasn't rejoining the Legion7

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/09/23 05:13 AM.
Back to the Far, Far, Future!
Invisible Brainiac #1021615 01/02/23 10:47 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Feel daunted by the length of this thread? You can also check out the Recap Thread to catch up!

Legion World

Apparition, Tinya Wazzo of Bgztl; intangibility
Blizzard, Brek Bannin of Tharr; cold projection
Calorie Queen, Taryn Loy of Bismoll; consume all forms of matter, and conversion of same into super-strength
Density, Jed Rikane of Earth (Mongolia and Nepal) and Quothon; controls his body's density
Gear, I.Z.O.R. of Linsnar; bio-mechanical techno-morphing
Gravity, Tel Vole of Earth (Cambodia and Thailand); gravity manipulation
Lamprey, Tayla Skott of Earth (Maldives and Palau) and Neptune; underwater survival; hydrokinesis
Live Wire, Garth Ranzz of Winath; electricity generation and manipulation
Mentalla, Delya Castil of Titan; telepathic control of others' physical functions
Microbe, Drura Sehpt of Somahtur; generate and control harmful and beneficial microorganisms
Timber Wolf, Brin Londo of Zuun; enhanced speed, strength, durability, senses and regenerative powers
Umbra, Tasmia Mallor of Talok VIII; shadow casting
Wildfire, Drake Burroughs (energy gestalt of two beings); anti-energy being

Thunder, Cece Beck of 90th century Binderaan; SHAZAM-empowered human with enhanced strength, speed, durability, stamina, wisdom and flight powers

"First day as a full, active, Legionnaire, and you're already experimenting with your powers?" Wildfire joked as he sat in the Legion cafeteria. In front of him, Lamprey had created a revolving sphere of water between her hands. And across from her, Blizzard was slowly freezing it.

"It's useful for me too, Wildfire," Brek's tongue was sticking out in concentration. "Normally, my cold projection powers already allow me to freeze water vapor in the air OR liquid water on the ground... but I need to get better at freezing moving water."

"I'd say you're doing a great job," Lamprey offered as she watched the sphere turn into a lump of ice. "Now as for me, I need to get better at manipulating frozen water..."

"You've done a good job yourself, Tayla," Microbe smiled. "That's one reason we voted you in - you've really grown your powers."

Over at the next table, Density was scrolling through his Omnicom. "Nothing yet today..."

"Already looking forward to your first mission?" Calorie Queen laughed. "My first one wasn't too long ago, but it seems like ages..."

"You always remember your first one," Gravity sighed as he chomped on his egg salad. He always marveled at how Tenzil could make even the most boring, low-carb food taste so good. "Mine was a mess, we had to clean up a plasteel spill..."

Live Wire and Timber Wolf came over with their trays of food. "Any space here?"

"Oh, of course!" Calorie Queen was only too happy to make room for her teammates. Still reeling from their recent visit to the other Legion's universe, Taryn thought that their Garth was very lean and could benefit from a bit more muscle - but she did prefer the shaggier hair and overall hairiness of their own Brin.

"I'm still surprised your honeymoon was so short, Garth," Brin said before he began gobbling his steak. Density stared in surprise and envy; being naturally on the heavier side, he had to carefully watch what he ate so he didn't develop a belly. But Brin could scarf down tons of food and still remain fit!

"It seems short, but we were away for two weeks," Garth laughed. "And we only got interrupted that one time, when Dryad was reforming. That's already a win in my book, considering all the other things that made us postpone getting married."

"And how is married life, Garth?" Tel winked. "I've asked Tinya, but she's been so coy about answering!"

"What happens in our household stays in our household," Tinya smiled.

"Including all the times Ultra Boy puts his feet in his mouth?" Brin quipped. Tinya made as if to smack him, and he grinned. "Hey, hey, at least Jo and I actually say Hi to each other now!"*

"It's about time," Tinya smiled over her bowl of Bgztlian Blue ice cream. "Now Cub can actually see both his father AND his Uncle Brin at the same time."

"Speaking of," Jed's eyes lit up. "With Imra and Jo, we six are the only married Legionnaires! We should get together some time..."

"Oh, and the rest of us are just silly singles, eh?" Taryn teased.

"Jed!" Tel hissed.

"Hey, I'm just kidding," Taryn laughed as she placed an arm around Brin. "Singles have more fun, don't we?"

At the next table over, Umbra rolled her eyes in mock derision. "No wonder it takes everyone else so long to eat. They waste so much time on gossip and joking around!"

"Oh yes, we need to be more efficient," Gear quipped. "Maybe we should be like Babbage, who doesn't eat at all!"

"I think I'll propose that to Kid Quantum," Tasmia smiled wickedly. "What do you think, Mentalla?"

"Oh, I think it's good to relax," Mentalla began awkwardly.

"Hey, I know I'm intimidating, but I AM joking," Tasmia smiled. "You should see the celebratory feasts we have on Talok VIII. Each tribe has its own customs, but all of them take time out from battles and labor to relax and enjoy."

"Humor makes the job easier," Gear pointed out, even as he scooped up another bite of pie.

"You're right," Delya smiled. "I was just thinking that on Titan, our society tends to be a bit more austere... we sometimes share memories of food, which can color the perceived flavors we get of food. So chefs don't always do their best..."

"Whew, I'm glad that didn't affect the food at Imra and Garth's wedding!" Gear laughed. "If it had, I would have faked an emergency mission to get out of there."

"I haven't had many yet, thankfully," Delya laughed. "I hate dropping whatever I'm doing to scramble and -"

Before she could finish, a loud boom filled the cafeteria!

"Behind me!" Umbra summoned her darkfield, casting it protectively in front of Gear and Mentalla. "The rest of you..."

"I've got some of the others!" Density stood, arms spread out, bodily density increased. Apparition had phased where she stood. "Sorry, Tenzil," Calorie Queen muttered as she ripped a table out of the floor, using it as a shield.

Blizzard peeked out from behind the wall of ice he had created. "Is that..."

"Legionnaires! Friends!" Thunder emerged from the smoke, costume immaculate, but face full of worry. "I need your help! Binderaan is being attacked!"

"You've got our help," Umbra already had her flight ring to her lips. "I'm calling the Monitor room to send everyone else available over."

"No time," Thunder said. And the 14 Legionnaires were enveloped in a flash of light.

Steadying himself, Live Wire blinked the white spots out of his eyes. As his vision cleared, he found himself in looking at a very technologically-advanced city, much more futuristic-looking than even Colu or Robotica. He turned to Thunder. "We're in the 90th century, aren't we?"

"I'm sorry for not giving you more warning," Thunder was grim. "The wizard lent me enough of his power for only a few seconds."

"Grife, now I know how Ferro must have felt when he first came to our time**..." Apparition looked around.

"I'll give you a tour later," Thunder said as she took to the sky. "But first, we have to make sure there's a planet left to come home to! I'll brief you on the way!"

Density shook his head as he followed. "Well, I definitely didn't imagine my first mission would be 60 centuries in the future!"

IB's notes:

1) Timber Wolf and Ultra Boy had a rocky relationship through much of the DNA series; there was some jealousy from Jo's part, as Brin helped Tinya while she was on Rimbor, and traveled with her for a bit back to Earth.

2) Ferro was born in the 20th century! The Legion brought him back to the 30th century because he was all alone there (LSH 100)

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/04/23 04:50 AM.
Re: Back to the Far, Far, Future!
Invisible Brainiac #1021616 01/02/23 12:54 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

90th Century Binderaan

6,000 years in the future from most of the Legionnaires' perspectives, but only 30 minutes ago from Thunder's...

Ilona Tusk tapped her foot, annoyed, as she scrolled through her MetaLink feed. Her last link had achieved 700,000 reactions... not enough. That upstart artist FlamingoCrest was regularly getting 850,000... she pushed her annoyance to the side and looked at her companion. "Are you not done yet?"

Magnificus Sivana XXXVIII jumped from the machine he was operating. Towering over 2 meters, with a physique that looked like it belonged on a soldier, Magnificus was a study in contrasts. "S-so-sorry, Miss Ilona," he boomed in a deep bass voice. "It's taking longer than I thought it would, and I needed to adjust the flux capacitor, and consult the-th-the manual that my great-great-great-great-great-"

Ilona scowled and slammed her palm on the armrest of her floating chair. "Just say ancestor!" she shrieked. Cursing, she activated the holo-mirror on her chair, and inspected herself. She had a press conference in three hours, and needed to look perfect. She primped her eyelashes. Frowning, she fiddled with the buttons on her sheer, glamorous gown. It had fit so well when she bought it yesterday, but now her belly bulged just so. She should not have eaten that fourth dumpling for lunch... Clearing her throat, she eyed Magnificus up and down. If he only actually worked out, that large frame of his could be transformed into a supermodel's. Or a pro-athlete's. As it was, he was just a large, hulking, timid, mouse of a man. At least his face was drop-dead handsome, with a chiseled jaw. Sadly, his strikingly green eyes were hidden behind gamera-shell frames. Ah well... She jumped out of her chair and poked her finger in Magnificus' chest. Though he towered over Ilona, Magnificus jumped back.

"Listen, I'm only here because you came to me saying that your ancestor had an invention that would harness the powers of these statues!" she pointed at seven dusty, grime-coated figures vaguely resembling humanoids. "You promised me riches and power, more than I have now." She kicked at a pebble that lay on beside them, then frowned as it scuffed her shoes. Ah well, she'd bought ten pairs just in case. "But I've been waiting two hours here now, and you haven't delivered!"

"I-I-I-It just takes time!" Magnificus protested. "It...oh, I got it!"

The machine, which resembled a desk wide enough to seat three Chuck Taines, began whirring and clicking. Lights began to flash and whirr. And the seven statues began to glow.

"Yes! Yes! It's happening!" Magnificus squeaked.

"What is happening?" Ilona screamed.

A red-and-white blur flew in front of them. "You don't know what you're doing, you're-"

The end of that sentence was muffled in a blur of light.

Thunder moaned as she struggled to stand up. Such a blow must have been caused by magic... she gasped as she remembered. The two with her...

"Ilona? Magnificus?" She clambered up. Ilona was gasping weakly, wig blown off, face burned. Magnificus was lying on his side, feebly stirring, glasses broken.

And the seven statues were gone.

Gritting her teeth, Thunder listened to the wisdom of Solomon. She needed help, and fast. Calling the emergency services to their location, she first made sure neither Ilona nor Magnificus was in any danger of being crushed by debris. Then, she clutched the amulet that the Wizard had given her; it would allow her to travel back to the 31st century, to the Legion of Super-Heroes, but only for a few seconds. It was meant to be used in a pinch, unlike how she normally would visit. Rubbing the amulet, she vanished in a flash of thunder and light.

Invisible Brainiac #1021643 01/03/23 12:29 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Tenazor-4

An extremely remote, completely undeveloped world. A Stargate introduced in 2999 made it marginally accessible from major trade lanes, but there was nothing on Tenazor-4 that could not have been gotten more easily somewhere else. The only event of interest in the last few years was a battle between the Legion of Super-Heroes and the Fatal Five*.

- from the Omniguide to Tropical Destinations, 658th Edition

Shikari Lonestar of the Kwai; pathfinding, armored skin and claws allowing for flight and survival in space

M'Onel shielded his eyes from the sun. Under Earth's yellow sun, he had enhanced vision as well as invulnerability; but under the orange sun of Tenazor-4, both his powers were halved. He and Brainiac 5 had spent hours trying to figure out why his enhanced vision didn't make his eyes more sensitive to light, and Brainiac 5 had theorized that evolution favored those with required secondary abilities to make use of their primary abilities, but...

... he shook his head. Teena Dav likely needed them, and the Science Police information and Shikari's pathfinding sense had led them here. He shifted his focus to following his winged teammate.

"Teena Dav's path leads here," Shikari pointed to a clearing. She landed in front between two trees that provided plenty of shade. "Here," Shikari said, her armored skin retracting. "I sense that she spent some time here."

Kneeling down, Chameleon inspected the grass. Then he elongated his trunk to inspect some of the branches. "I see some indentations here. Looks like she hung something.

Using his microscopic vision, M'Onel scanned the area. "I see traces of... processed foods... plasteel packaging... ashes from a fire..."

"Wow!" Sizzle breathed as she looked around. "I can't see any of that!"

"I was told that Teena is a very conscientious traveler," Andromeda smiled. "She would have taken care not to leave anything that would pollute this place."

"Do you see any traces of a struggle?" Chameleon asked. "Or anything that would indicate sudden teleportation, like grass being cut neatly?"

"No," M'Onel and Andromeda said together. Lar and Laurel smiled at each other; they usually went on different missions, as many of the threats or situations they faced didn't require two fully-powered Daxamites, so one would go and one would be kept in reserve for other threats. It was nice working together more often.

Lume coalesced into its humanoid form. "I don't see any strange wavelengths, either."

Chameleon sighed. "Well, that's one more world down."

Shikari opened her wings and closed her eyes. "Next world, then?"

Chameleon considered. "Before we go, there is one thing I want to check..."

"Koko! Koko!" The white monkey raised its arm.

"Koko! Koko! Koko!" A crowd of green monkeys surrounded it, chanting.

"Koko! Koko! Koko! Koko!" The white monkey said. The Legion flight ring on its arm, once belonging to Brainiac 5, glistened in the sun.

From far above, M'Onel shook his head. "And Brainy said Koko wasn't going to be an invasive species!"

From his perch, Chameleon, in the form of one of the local birds, chuckled. "Well, at least it seems to be a good change... near as I can tell, Koko has helped these local monkeys build their own society!"

"A second fib Brainy told was that he wouldn't miss Koko at all," M'Onel smiled. "I think he'll secretly be glad to hear Koko is fine, though."

Sizzle shook her head. "I wish I could see what you were seeing... I can't imagine Brainiac 5 owning a pet monkey!"

Chameleon and M'Onel both chuckled. "I think Brainiac 5 was Koko's pet, to be honest." Chameleon shapeshifted back into his usual form. "Well, time to go. Let's leave Koko to it."**

IB's notes:

1) LSH 121. The Omniguide blurb is also adapted from the actual blurb that was in that issue wink

2) Brainiac 5 "acquired" Koko in LSH 88/Impulse 21; Koko was brought along to the 30th century with Ferro in LSH 100; and Koko decided to stay behind on Tenazor-4 in LSH 121.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/09/23 05:13 AM.
Re: The Case of the Disappearing Daxamite
Invisible Brainiac #1021644 01/03/23 01:06 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Sataar

An average world in most aspects - size, population, economy, development. Sataar's one recent claim to fame was a case of two wraithlike parasites, local mutated wealthy landowners, who possessed Legionnaires M'Onel and Thunder briefly before being driven out by Invisible Kid and Karate Kid.*

- United Planets briefing for Earthgov Diplomats

Andromeda shivered as she watched Sataar's red sun sink. She had rarely felt so vulnerable before... and even when wearing her control bracelet, her powers were merely limited. Here, she could feel the yellow solar energy powering her cells depleting.

Sizzle sat down beside her. "Are you cold? I can help."

"It's okay, I..." Andromeda paused. Sizzle was new; and Andromeda herself remembered being a new Legionnaire, isolated and alone due to her xenophobic beliefs.** She joined the Legion only because her White Triangle-sympathizing family pulled some strings; and her only motivation then was to gain wondrous powers. But Sizzle was here because she wanted to do good and make friends... the least Laurel herself could do was encourage that. "Thank you," she made sure to smile. "That would be great.

Sizzle beamed. Taking in the red sunlight, she converted it to both yellow sunlight and pure heat. "I can only handle a small amount of energy compared to our teammates like Inferno, Spark, Wildfire, Particon... but at least I can convert one form into another."

"We all have our own gifts," Andromeda smiled back. "Like how Star Boy has greater range, but Gravity has better fine control; or how Saturn Girl and Mentalla specialize in different aspects of telepathy. You have your own niche, Sizzle."

"Please, call me Teela," Sizzle smiled.

"How do you two keep from being bored?" Shikari sighed as she tossed a pebble against a nearby tree trunk. "This waiting is so annoying!"

"Maybe I can help you practice your aim, Shikari," M'Onel offered. "I can throw pebbles at you, if you want to practice blocking or slicing them. It will help me too - I've been taking up batball in my spare time."

"Oh, did Shvaughn get you into it?" Andromeda teased.

Spots of color bloomed on M'Onel's cheeks. "She's quite athletic and sporty, isn't she?" Andromeda pressed.

M'Onel rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. "She IS a Science Police captain, after all, she needs to keep fit..."

Shikari and Andromeda giggled as M'Onel broke into a goofy grin. Sizzle just beamed; most of the Legionnaires had seemed so professional and aloof and stern while she was a Legion Cadet, but it was nice to see that they were human too, after all!

Chameleon, disguised as a generic, dark-skinned, middle-aged, average-looking humanoid male who could have been from Earth, Xanthu, Aleph, Cargg or any of a few dozen UP worlds, sat sipping his starshine lambanog. Empty glasses littered his table. A passing server rolled her eyes at the drunken man. Chameleon let out a hiccup for good measure, and spilled some of his drink. Two patrons at the table beside his laughed and pointed at the poor, drunk, pathetic man.

Except Chameleon had also shapeshifted a Bismollian's digestive system. Or at least, a portion of it - he didn't completely understand why, but apparently the Bismollian ability to digest matter was something he could not copy, making it a bona fide power like a Braalian's magnetism or an Imskite's shrinking. He was, however, able to copy a Bismollian stomach, which could hold the alcohol and keep it from seeping into his bloodstream. He made a mental note to thank Tenzil with a bottle or two of Bismollian synth-wine, the only substance that could actually make a Bismollian drunk. He would have to get the mercury flavor.

"Chameleon," came Lume's voice over the telepathic plug array. The two Legionnaires had set it to a private channel that only they could access. "I'm in." With Chameleon's guidance, Lume had infiltrated the inner security chambers. "One organic here, and I do not see any securi-cams."

"As expected," Chameleon replied. "After all, you're in the security chamber. Why would they watch themselves? Now, listen carefully..."

Following Chameleon's instructions, Lume quickly and silently took out a vial containing a powerful laxative. It had not been easy, but Lume had learned to carry small objects - like its flight ring and a small utility pouch - within its light-based form. As the security personnel, a bored-looking blue-skinned man, yawned, Lume put two drops into the drink on his desk. The man took a sip, and Chameleon cautioned Lume to wait.

Not three minutes later, the man's eyes widened, and a fart rang out. Lume gave silent thanks it did not have a sense of smell.

Taking care to walk like a drunkard, Chameleon stumbled outside the bar. As soon as he rounded the corner and into the adjoining dark alley, he shapeshifted into a tiny Tenazorian hummingbird; one of the many forms he had picked up on Tenazor-4. He flitted into the bar and into the employee toilet that the security personnel was now painfully and uncomfortably sitting in. The personnel would likely be here for a while, but it was Chameleon's job to ensure that he remained here, while Lume searched for the records they needed.

Only seven minutes later, Lume reported back. "I found the footage of Teena, Chameleon!"

"Good," Reep sent back. "Make a recording of it; and once you're done, I'll meet you outside." Behind him, Reep heard the personnel groan. "Don't worry, this guy will be here for a while... and he's the only one, nobody's substituting for him."

Chameleon made a mental note to nominate Lume for Espionage Squad membership. He had had his eye on the Silvan Legionnaire for some time now, and this mission made the perfect chance to test him out. Of course, Lume wouldn't be able to sneak around darkly lit areas, as it would be like a beacon to anyone around; but in well-lit areas like this, it made the perfect unnoticeable spy.

IB's notes:

1) See LSH 111!

2) Andromeda used to be a White Triangle member, though she merely subscribed to the belief that races/species should be kept separate. She was never a party to the genocidal part.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 04/23/23 12:20 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021728 01/06/23 10:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hey IB, happy Friday!

You have so many characters! I didn't realise how many until I was going down the list, seems I'm not the only one who is making the Legion an actual Legion smile Within your actual team I'd love to see more of Calorie Queen (I keep meaning to introduce her to my team), Spider Girl (I know she had a recent appearance with the espionage squad but more would be great), and I'm craving a Karate Kid action scene as he really needs to attle a planet into submission every now and again.

Just realised I know nothing about Tomb really so any little storyline with him/her/it would be appreciated too.

On with the story: Fieldtrip to another universe? I'm in!

"So did I, though most of that was absorbed by their Mordru," Kinetix quipped.* - sounds like my last holiday with my ex-hubby....

"Now, don't dawdle," - one of my favourite expressions to use when people are dragging their heels laugh

Why is Echo so interested in the other team not being an official arm of the UP - apologies if you've covered this but is he ex-UP staff?

Nice little bit of banter between Gates and PG, she's nobody's fool is she? Gates and Brin were cute, as was Amp's reaction. Jed and Tel are funny, love how we all have them as some sort of horndogs. XS introducing Sizzle to her old teammates was sweet. Lamprey, Dragonwing and Grava chatting about their counterparts was a great scene - Grava being unable to lie convincingly was a fab moment, it's so her! Marya jusy telling thr truth and then Tayla writing a motivational note to her counterpart was really good.

Nerdgasm - hehe.The two Dirks talking sexual conquests, I wonder how much of their conversation was genuine and how much was ego. I really don't want to know what they said, just speculating.

Yay! Calorie Queen! Even better, TWO Calorie Queens smile

The scene between Condo, Gim and Yera was sweet though once Zoe joined it became even better, her awkwardness and Yera's jealousy were great snapsots. Candi and Jan was very touching, they both have such empathy that they're are really good together.

And on that note it's time for the teams to go. You covered a lot of interesting groupings between the two teams and it's great that you're thinking of making it a regular event.

And I've run out of time again frown

So sorry, it's been a crazy day and I need to run now, I'll get onto the rest early next week.

As usual, I am really looking forward to more, more, more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Invisible Brainiac #1021732 01/06/23 02:25 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
hi Harbi, happy Friday too! what a nice way to start the weekend, reading your comments smile

I know, I have 49 Legionnaires now... and that's only the fully Active ones! I think I might stop at 50, and keep the team stable for a while tongue

thanks for your list wink Calorie Queen is on one of my two ongoing missions now, Spider-Girl will be in one of those after that... and I'll see where I can have Karate Kid and Tomb come in wink I think they will be perfect for one of the missions I have planned smile

Originally Posted by Harbinger
"So did I, though most of that was absorbed by their Mordru," Kinetix quipped.* - sounds like my last holiday with my ex-hubby....

ooph, I hope your ex-hubby doesn't blow planets up like Mordru does smile I just realized I missed a couple of words: should have read ""So did I, though most of that was while I was absorbed by their Mordru," Kinetix quipped.* oops, I relally should have proof-read better!

Originally Posted by Harbinger
Why is Echo so interested in the other team not being an official arm of the UP - apologies if you've covered this but is he ex-UP staff?

good question! I didn't envision him to be, he's just this Legion's straight-A student type. And I'll say he believes very much in the UP and its governance and all of that tongue

PG knows how to handle herself wink she's not one to be fazed by Gates tongue

re Jed and Tel as horndogs, yeah their fashion sense just lends itself to that tongue

Grava is just so sweet, I'm almost sorry I don't quite have space yet on my active roster for her... but the Reboot universe one will definitely pop up from time to time tongue

glad you liked all the bits! I didn't mentally delve too much into the things two Dirks would talk about either tongue you raise a good point that even Dirk would kind of want to one up his alternate reality counterpart sometimes tongue

happy the cross-universe field trip worked! I love all this compare-and-contrast between versions, so will definitely have it happen again in time tongue

Re: Tryouts!
Invisible Brainiac #1021804 01/08/23 06:59 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Hi IB! Looks like I have got quite a bit to catch up on, I will post my thoughts as I go!

- Drura being able to break down plastic is so clever! I never considered her power beyond making people sick!

- Jed and Tel's scene was cute, and a nice indicator that they're getting better at the whole relationship thing.

- poor Tellus, I imagine it must have been a steep learning curve leaving Hykraius - I like that he and Sizzle are both being realistic about their limitations here. If everyone mastered their powers straight away there wouldn't be a need for a cadet program I guess!

- Gates is a treat as always, and it makes sense that of all the Legion he'd be the one to see someone's powers more in the sense of how they can help a community rather than just combat applications. It was an inspired idea having Orange Triad partner with him to act as a social buffer too.

- thanks for the reminder about Retro's poor showing....I am intrigued to see what is gonna happen with him! And Brawler acted pretty much like I thought he would, the dream was a nice touch too hahaha

- X-Bomb Betty!! I am curious to see what you do with her as a fleshed-out character!

- aww, Violet and the other Legionnaires being nice to Cera Kesh is a much more palatable introduction than she got in the comics! And I really like the name Uplift for a telekinetic!

- Glow-Work cracked me up...what's a Legion tryout without someone with absolutely zero self-awareness making a spectacle of themselves? laugh

- I already like Fauna! Animal Man powers are fun!

- The Mess!! Wow, you are really going for the deep cuts! I have to admit I have always been interested in seeing what could be done with his power if you treated it seriously so I am very intrigued with his addition to the program!

- Swallowtail's visual is cool, and it sounds like she has a versatile power...another one I am looking forward to seeing more of!

- Glad to see Lamprey and Jed (and Sizzle!) made it on to the team, they deserve it! They have had quite a presence despite not being on the team...and it looks like we have a mystery on our hands with Brawler's shenanigans!

All of the above is very exciting and I am looking forward to seeing where it all goes! I will try and catch up on the rest this week if I can!

Oh I nearly forgot! Jed being distracted by Jo's abs was a winner as well, I feel like that would be a very relatable problem if I was in the Legion hahaha

Invisible Brainiac #1021806 01/08/23 02:09 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
hiya Raz, thanks for catching up! appreciate your read & review a lot smile

glad you liked the little bits smile I like finding new applications for Legionnaire powers too, and Drura's plastic-breaking-down power was inspired by a recent article I read https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottc...plastic-eating-bacteria/?sh=2e6ae1167406

yeah, I figure that Jed and Tel must be doing some things right in their relationship to stay married tongue

Gates' social applications of powers were inspired by a lot of real Reboot moments too, moments that made me love him: crying about homeless people (LSH 86), volunteering at a soup kitchen with Jo (LSH 94) with the hilarious side effect of scaring the staff and clients; and ranting about the money spent on the Legion being better spent on nutrition and education (LSH 120).

glad that Brawler's turn was realistic!

I'm super proud of the Uplift name myself smile

for a pic of Swallowtail's visual, here's the Wind elemental host (Flutter) from her homeworld in the upper left smile https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/m...71.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20081024012307

I'm supper gonna have to have Glow-Worm appear again tongue

The Mess was an inspired choice after scrolling through lists of Legion rejects tongue Fauna herself is inspired by Dawnstar, but also Animal Lad from before (and elements of Animal Lad's power appear in Aquamarine)

also happy to see Lamprey, Jed and Sizzle make it in, after all the scenes I've included them in - Sizzle was a bit of inspiration after your excellent use of her, AND Harbi's comment on her being her bet. (I was already toying with bringing Sizzle in later, but thought - better earlier than later!)

and my gosh yes, so many fit heroes in spandex lol! besides being distracted by my teammates' abs, I'd be super conscious about my diet and workout routine too lol!

Invisible Brainiac #1021831 01/09/23 04:29 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Okay Part 2 of my reading journey! I really like everything I saw here!

- I LOL'd at Jed and Tel thinking about having a foursome with themselves laugh

- poor Sizzle learning how hard it can be to keep up with Jenni hahaha...on another note, I wonder if it's weird actually for Vi and Ayla to know they're a couple in this reality? Vi in particular is probably the Legionnaire to diverge the most depending which of the teams you're looking at from Legion of Three worlds!

- speaking of randy Legionnaires, something tells me it wouldn't take TOO much convincing to get older Dirk to experiment a bit tongue

- Sooo much awkwardness in the Condo/Gim corner, I love it laugh

- aww poor Monstress...her scene with Jan kinda reminded me in the comics when older Jo met the SW6 batch's Phantom Girl for the first time frown

- this was a really nice bit of characterisation for everyone, IB! I'm glad the two teams got to just meet and chat without there being a fight or anything to take attention away from them!

- oh, also I like the little asides about the classic Legion all being more muscular and whatnot....it's a nice way of showing that the 247 Legion were generally all drawn more as lean teenagers than with the typical generic superhero body!

- OOOH TRIP TO THUNDER'S TIME! Love it!!

- haha nice Koko cameo! smile

Invisible Brainiac #1021832 01/09/23 04:43 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
hi Raz, thanks again and thanks a ton for your comments smile glad you're liking it!

TBH Jed and Tel's "foursome with themselves" is based a lot on concepts and discussions re: would one do it with an alternate universe version (or even clone) of themselves lol! I've talked about that with some guys I've dated too, so that spurred this scene lol! also this whole "boyfriend twins" concept tongue https://inmagazine.ca/2021/01/doubling-down-on-boyfriend-twins/

re Vi and Ayla, it's also gotten me thinking: could Reboot Vi and Ayla be spun to be bisexual? I'm dipping my toes into Vi being one at least...

LOL maybe younger Dirk's stories will be the catalyst for older Dirk to experiment!

I'm all for some funny awkwardness, and I figure even super-heroes are just human (most of em anyway loL!)

one of the things I did love about early Reboot, was they really did look like teens! it felt more realistic for my own teenaged self, and I could enjoy the stories imagining them as peers, rather than some unattainable level of teen-that-looks-like-an-adult-Hollywood-actor-instead!

yeah, that Tinya/Jo thing hurt, and I really felt for Candi/Jan while writing them frown

glad you liked everything! Koko was an inspired touch, I was racking my mind for worlds that our missing Daxamite could have visited and remembered Koko, so... tongue

glad you're all caught up! next bits will focus on wrapping up the two threads/missions I started smile

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/09/23 05:01 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021834 01/09/23 05:38 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I've talked about that with some guys I've dated too, so that spurred this scene lol!
hahaha I remember this guy I used to be friends with saying he would immediately hook up with his own clone if it was possible.....I think I would just do my own head in, no thanks laugh

I think the benefit of the reboot Legion still all essentially being teenagers is that it's really not difficult to imagine most of them being whatever sexuality you want them to be because they're all at that age where they're learning who they are anyway...also I am generally of the opinion that in the Legion's bright and shiny future, people in general are probably just more open-minded about sexuality anyway smile

Invisible Brainiac #1021835 01/09/23 05:46 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Sataar

An average world in most aspects - size, population, economy, development. Sataar's one recent claim to fame was a case of two wraithlike parasites, local mutated wealthy landowners, who possessed Legionnaires M'Onel and Thunder briefly before being driven out by Invisible Kid and Karate Kid.*

- United Planets briefing for Earthgov Diplomats

Andromeda watched the footage again. Teena Dav had been sitting in the bar, eagerly scrolling through her Omnicom. A young man about her age had come up, chatting her up. And then they had left.

"I don't see him putting anything in her food or drink," Chameleon muttered.

"Everyone always commented on how open Teena was," Andromeda said as she clutched the chair in front of her. "She was always meeting new people..."

"Andromeda..." Sizzle began, seeing that the chair was largely intact despite Andromeda's grip. "Your strength is almost gone, do you want me or Lume to turn on the juice?"

"Thanks, Sizzle," Andromeda smiled absent-mindedly. "M'Onel and I can use our flight rings and transuits for now... you and Lume should conserve your strength."

"We need to find her quickly," Shikari was grim. And a tad frustrated; she had had little problem following Teena's trail to Sataar, but on-planet was something else. Kwai pathfinding was most effective in space, or in the interdimensional spaces encountered in the Thresholds; her people had honed their skills in such an environment, after all. But on a planet, with atmospheric and gravitational differences, and a multitude of small objects that she had to work around... it was taking an effort, for sure.

But as she did whenever challenged, she remembered her feat of guiding three Legion teams simultaneously through three different planetoids, and that gave her strength.

"Please, I need to concentrate," Shikari said as she armored up. Then she folded her legs up and used her flight ring to hover. And she used her mind to touch the pathways around her...

While Shikari focused, Chameleon was using his Legion authorizations to access Sataaran databases. Sizzle and Andromeda gathered around him, watching him input parameters such as age and biological sex.

"Age is so difficult," Chameleon muttered. "Some races, such as Naltorians, just naturally look young even into their 50s..."

"Maybe focus on height?" Sizzle offered. "Height is height, and can easily be judged."

"Good thinking," Chameleon said, causing Sizzle to blush. Andromeda replayed the video again, freezing it on the man. Magnifying it, she studied for a moment. "Teena is 185 meters tall, so I'm guessing the man is in the range of 185-190..."

"Let's figure out who he is later," Shikari called out. She extended her wings, ready to fly. "I've narrowed down Teena's location."

After nearly half an hour of flying, Shikari descended. Sizzle marveled at how her teammate seemed to orient herself so well! After leaving the city, they had flown over a vast, barren, dusty wilderness that seemed featureless. But then, she had grown up in a big city herself... more than once, those coming from less-developed worlds had remarked at how all buildings tended to look alike!

"Well, this should be easy," M'Onel looked at the installation ahead of them. A three-story building surrounded by a fence. "No sign of living beings, but there are a few robo-drones hovering. If you could power us up, Lume and Sizzle..."

"Sorry, M'Onel, we're not charging in," Chameleon stepped up. "We don't know what condition Teena is in..."

"No, I'm just going to use my x-ray vision," M'Onel's face was blank.

"Sorry, M'On," Reep bowed a little. "I didn't mean to imply anything."

"It's okay," Lar smiled, to show Reep he took no offense. "Better to be careful and prevent anything rash, right?"

Reep nodded in gratitude at Lar's understanding. The Legion trained extensively for different situations, and M'Onel was far more experienced and cautious about his powers than most of them. They had come a long way from the early days, when Apparition needed to coach Ultra Boy on which power to use for which situation...*

Sizzle stepped forward. She and Lume had discussed, and it took Lume comparatively more effort to switch its wavelength to yellow, than for Sizzle to simply draw in the red sunlight shining on her and convert it to yellow. Of course, Lume could produce more energy - but to activate M'Onel's vision powers, only a little was needed. She pointed at M'Onel, and watched as he drank in the sunlight.

"Hmmm...." M'Onel considered. "We have to be careful, there's something blocking much of my vision. I hope it's not lead, for Teena's sake."

"If they're holding a Daxamite, we have to assume it is," Andromeda could feel the anger inside her. She forced herself to tamp it down, and focus.

"I guess that's our cue," Chameleon nodded to Lume. Shifting into a desert mosquito, Reep took off.

IB's notes:

1) See LSH 111!

2) Yeah, early Reboot Ultra Boy was a bit of a numbskull sometimes, though mainly when with Apparition. See L* 26, L* 27, L* Annual 2, LSH 83 for instances where Tinya had to tell Jo to "be strong", "be fast", "be tough", or to stay grounded and use his flash vision to pick off flying targets... Though other times, Jo seemed very skilled at switching his powers in combat (LSH 64, L* 21).

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/09/23 04:17 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #1021851 01/09/23 11:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Sataar

"Do you need my help, Chameleon, Bright Legion?" Shikari sent over the telepathic earplugs.

"Thanks, no need to strain, Shikari," Reep replied telepathically - he did not want to shift his Venusian Googlipede form now to manifest vocal cords. "This building is not so large, and we need to be focused..."

"Okay, break a leg... not literally," Shikari signed off.

Reep resisted the urge to smile. When they had been lost in the Kwai Galaxy*, Shikari had used rather superficial nicknames such as Orange Legion, Green Legion and Large Legion. Through time, she had updated the nicknames to refer to qualities, such as Smart Legion; and later on, she had started to remember their code names and real names. But with the team growing so quickly and so much, Kari still sometimes slipped back to her nicknames for some of their newer teammates.

Chameleon crept along the ventilation shaft. Lume followed behind, its light dimmed; Lume had used its own very limited ability to change its shape to make itself appear more like a firefly than a glowing ball of light. This should be enough to fool anyone looking through a securi-cam.

Coming up on a vent, Reep changed into a Sataarian Desert Mosquito and flew down. The mosquitoes compounded eyes gave him a good view of what appeared to be a very large laboratory. Tubes filled with liquid were scattered around, as were specimens of what Reep assumed were local wildlife. He recognized some organisms that he had encountered earlier on Sataar, but many more were unknown to him. As he hovered around, he was surprised to recognize a Phlonian badger, an Alephian ornament-bird, an Imskian glo-beetle, and a Vyrgan ringworm. Whoever owned this laboratory had been very busy.

Lume, for its part, had focused on seeing if anyone was in the laboratory. Lume couldn't understand any of the machines here; it barely understood how to operate its Legion-issued Omnicom. Its homeworld of Silvan had very little technology or need for anything beyond the light of the stars, and had only recently began adopting some United Planets technology for entertainment. After all, what else would beings made of light need or want? Communications technology had only recently been installed to speak with Silvans offworld - all four of them, at least count. Again, beings made of light could also travel at light speed, so they hadn't needed any before now. "Chameleon, I don't see anyone..."

A cry caught both their attention. Signaling Lume, Reep followed the source of the sound. They turned the corner, and Reep bristled as he recognized the sound of sobbing.

"It doesn't matter if you cry or not, my dear." Reep recognized the man from the video; he had dark brown hair, and stood back straight, unmoving, with a dispassionate and almost blank look on his face. An older, tall brown-haired man in a dirty white coat hovered over Teena Dav, who was clad in a form-fitting jumpsuit. Reep noted that she also wore a transuit - which meant her captors wanted her alive and safe from lead poisoning. A good sign, at least.

Tears streaked down Teena's eyes; she could not wipe them off, as she was strapped down, her limbs bound. "You should be no stranger to pain; your marvelous Daxamite physiology was like a normal Terran's under Daxam's red sun, no?"

"Why are you doing this?" Teena mumbled.

"It will go easier on you if you just answer," the man said dispassionately, with no hint of a smile. "Now, tell me, was this worse than the last one?" Reep felt his blood boil as he heard a sickening whir. Teena screamed in pain.

"Ah, a little blood. Be a good boy, son, and collect the sample, will you?" the older man said.

The son turned his head. "Yes, father." Collecting a vial, the son dabbed at the blood with a specimen collector.

"Chameleon, we can't let this go on!" Lume sent with compassion and anger.

"Yes, I've seen enough. Watch out for guards or drones," Reep sent back. Then he morphed into a Naltorian Land Octopus. As Reep's new form landed on the floor, one tentacle yanked the son away from Teena and slammed him into the floor. Another roughly bound the father's arms together.

"This is Chameleon of the Legion of Super-Heroes. You're under arrest for unlawful detention and torture," Reep broadcast through his telepathic plugs. Tell me how to set her free," Reep constricted gently so that the father would feel how serious he was.

The father did not even blink. "Son."

"Yes, father." Before Reep could react, he felt a burning, biting pain in his tentacle. He cursed as he dropped the son, whose eyes were now glowing. Reep's own tentacle felt like it had been burned.

Reep quickly morphed the tentacle holding the father into a fist, and punched the father into unconsciousness. "Father!" cried in anger and fired a blast of vision at Reep's head. Reep evaded by turning into a tiny Plevitzian Flying Rabbit.

"Chameleon!" Lume coalesced into its normal form and sent a burst of light at the son, intending to blind him. The son did not even blink. Lume began to concentrate its energy into a laser; but before it could fire, an opaque bubble descended from the ceiling, trapping it inside. "I can't break through!" Lume sent to Reep in panic.

Reep flew over the son's head before shifting into a Lallorian Great Ape. Dropping down and lunging forward to punch the son, Reep howled as his fist connected into what seemed like a brick wall.

Screaming in pain, Reep shifted back to his typical humanoid form. The son lifted an empty examination table and slammed it on Reep, mercifully blasting him into unconsciousness. Watching his foe dispassionately, the son then ran towards the father. But before he could reach him, the far wall burst outwards.

"You've just made a terrible mistake," M'Onel flew through. Sizzle was right behind him; her right hand glowed red as she took in ambient red sunlight, and her left hand glowed yellow as she powered M'Onel up. Following right behind, Shikari flew in with Andromeda in her hands; as Sizzle was busy powering M'Onel up, Kari's greater speed let her bring Laurel to Teena's side.

"Are you okay?" Laurel asked frantically as she reached Teena. "Do you know how to operate this thing?"

"Controls... are..." Teena sniffed, trying to ignore the pain she felt. Laurel's stomach lurched as she saw the wounds covering Teena's arm and torso. Teena pointed with her lips. "Over... there..."

"We'll get you home safe, and this man will get justice," Laurel promised as she ran to the controls.

"I'll watch your back," Shikari called. Steeling herself, she watched carefully as the son began ripping up furniture and equipment and throwing them at M'Onel. M'Onel was not at his full strength yet, despite Sizzle powering up.

"Sizzle, Kari, I can't catch everything," M'Onel warned.

"Leave this one to me," Shikari sliced through a telescope, making sure the pieces fell nowhere near Andromeda or Teena.

Sizzle had entered the battle searching for an opportunity to use her powers to blast the bad guys, but found she needed all her focus on powering up M'Onel while dodging debris and equipment. Heart racing, she remembered what had been drilled into her during training: the Legion works as a team, and usually on missions everyone has their job. And her job was to support M'Onel. "To your left!" she screamed.

"Thanks!" M'Onel raised his arm, and a piece of equipment smashed itself to pieces on it. "We have to end this fast! I'm going on!" Lar prepared himself for impact as he rushed at the son.

"You hurt my father," the son glared. "Now, I will hurt you." He gestured, and Sizzle yelped in surprise as a gripping claw erupted from behind her. It wrapped around her with such force that she blacked out.

Cut off from his power source, M'Onel could feel himself weakening. But he had to buy Andromeda enough time to free Teena. Gritting his teeth, he steadied himself as he slammed into the son... what followed was a sickening crunch as M'Onel dropped to the floor, unconscious.

The son began to walk towards where Andromeda was helping Teena.

"No!" Shikari jumped in front of him. "Stay back, I'm warning you!" The son lunged at her; Shikari dodged and pivoted to kick him. The son caught her foot and slammed her into a wall.

"Now father will have two more Daxamites to study, and four other specimens as well," the son said, without a hint of glee, as he advanced on Laurel and Teena.

"Teena, hold on, I'm going to fly us out of here," Andromeda said desperately. She had no chance against the man advancing on them. If she could escape, though...

"No..." Teena whispered. "Bring me to controls... know how to stop...trust me..."

Laurel looked at her teammates, strewn around the room. Then, saying a prayer she had learned from the Sisters of the Eternal Cosmos**, she took a leap of faith. Flying erratically so she could dodge the son's attacks, Laurel flew Teena to the console. "Quickly!" Laurel said, looking behind her.

The son began to run faster.

"Teena!" Laurel called.

"It's here... know it..." Teena slammed her fist into a button.

The son's eyes suddenly went blank, and he fell forward.

Laurel set Teena gently on a grav-chair, then rushed to check on the son. "I... I can't feel a pulse. Is he dead?" Laurel asked.

"He's not alive," Teena sobbed. "He's an android!"

Laurel recoiled; this was the most lifelike android she had ever seen! "What happened here..." she whispered. Then she stood up, looked around at the unconscious forms of Chameleon, M'Onel, Sizzle and Shikari, and the trap that Lume was caught in. She sighed as she brought her flight ring to her lips and called for help.

IB's notes:

1) Legion Lost vol 1 of course smile

2) This refers to space-nun Sister Andromeda, a period was depicted from L* 46 to L*65 (and that lasted until at least the end of the Reboot canon, before Andromeda's sudden reappearance, as normal, in Legion of 3 Worlds)

Invisible Brainiac #1021852 01/09/23 11:19 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World

Shvaughn Erin of Earth (Ireland and Montenegro); Science police captain and Legion Liaison Officer (Honorary Legionnaire)

"She's traumatized, but physically she will be fine," Andromeda sighed as she sat down. She had just been to visit Teena. The poor girl had endured days of torture. After questioning the father, they had determined he was a scientist who simply wanted to study a Daxamite captive. This meant Teena was tortured more to understand her physiology, rather than with the intent of causing pure pain. But Teena had also been terrified this whole ordeal; Laurel hoped that her being instrumental in defeating the android son would help her heal.

"We've catalogued and dissected every bit of data in his systems," Shvaughn reported. "We've found no indications that the doctor was working for anyone. But..." she tapped gently on her screen. "It seems that he's had dealings with the Dominators... and the Tyrrazzians."

"The Dominators could have been funding him in secret," Chameleon's face grew dark. "And the Tyrrazzians could explain the android..."

"We do need to establish whether these were rogue actors," Shvaughn said gently. "I know it's frustrating, but both are still members of the Affiliated Planets. Openly, both planets say they've purged themselves of any Dark Circle elements*, so we need to proceed cautiously."

"All the AP worlds said that," Sizzle shook her head. "Doesn't mean they actually have!"

"I know," M'Onel said grimly. "But the Dark Circle are crafty, so we do need to be very careful in investigating this."

"Well, we already have our first lead," Chameleon said. "I'm positive he's not a mole, but he may know something that can explain his father's actions or history."

"And you don't mean the android, do you?" Shikari asked. She was still disturbed by the reports they had received. While the father was imprisoned, the android lay inert and in stasis on Legion World because of its power.

"No, I don't," Chameleon said quietly. Lume picked the report up, and scrolled slowly down to the conclusions. It couldn't believe what it had read, either.

The name of the doctor was Mar Londo of Zuun. And genetic testing had shown that he was indeed the father of their teammate: Timber Wolf, or Brin Londo.

IB's notes:

1) The Dark Circle Rising storyline in L* 62-65, LSH 106-108 ended with the Dark Circle breaking up; many of the Dark Circle Worlds stayed together in the puppet Affiliated Planets, attempting to turn it into a legitimate organization.

Re: Dreamer
razsolo #1021853 01/09/23 11:37 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by razsolo
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I've talked about that with some guys I've dated too, so that spurred this scene lol!
hahaha I remember this guy I used to be friends with saying he would immediately hook up with his own clone if it was possible.....I think I would just do my own head in, no thanks laugh

I think the benefit of the reboot Legion still all essentially being teenagers is that it's really not difficult to imagine most of them being whatever sexuality you want them to be because they're all at that age where they're learning who they are anyway...also I am generally of the opinion that in the Legion's bright and shiny future, people in general are probably just more open-minded about sexuality anyway smile

hahahaha! it takes all sorts... and I super agree, I imagine in the bright and shiny 31st century nobody cares what sexuality anyone has! smile everyone's accepted love

Back to the Far, Far Future
Invisible Brainiac #1021965 01/11/23 07:17 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

90th Century Binderaan

Blizzard, Brek Bannin of Tharr; cold projection
Calorie Queen, Taryn Loy of Bismoll; consume all forms of matter, and conversion of same into super-strength
Density, Jed Rikane of Earth (Mongolia and Nepal) and Quothon; controls his body's density
Gravity, Tel Vole of Earth (Cambodia and Thailand); gravity manipulation
Lamprey, Tayla Skott of Earth (Maldives and Palau) and Neptune; underwater survival; hydrokinesis
Mentalla, Delya Castil of Titan; telepathic control of others' physical functions
Microbe, Drura Sehpt of Somahtur; generate and control harmful and beneficial microorganisms
Timber Wolf, Brin Londo of Zuun; enhanced speed, strength, durability, senses and regenerative powers
Umbra, Tasmia Mallor of Talok VIII; shadow casting
Wildfire, Drake Burroughs (energy gestalt of two beings); anti-energy being

Thunder, Cece Beck of 90th century Binderaan; SHAZAM-empowered human with enhanced strength, speed, durability, stamina, wisdom and flight powers (Reserve Legionnaire)

Thunder had briefed hear teammates on everything she knew, and now the 14 Legionnaires were rushing to their destination. "I wish Shikari and the White Witch had been among you," Thunder sighed. "But I'm sure we will manage. No offense, I know you're all capable and I trust you with my life, but the threat we face..."

"We'll face it together," Live Wire smiled. Deep down, though, he wasn't so sure. Magic still made him uneasy.*

"Are you feeling okay, Gear?" Microbe cast a worried eye on her teammate as they flew through the sky.

"I'm a bit... overwhelmed..." Gear sounded out of breath. He squinted, trying to focus on responding. "This time is sensory overload for me... too many signals, too much noise..." In their own time, Gear dealt with a comfortable level of input from the machinery and computers around him. As a techno-organic being, he received signals much like Terran human beings would see, hear and smell other humans.

But 60 centuries in the future... it seemed everything was a machine! "The number of artificial organs broadcasting their owners' bodily functions to medical installations' monitoring... it's too much..."

"Can we help in any way?" Microbe's worry was evident.

"Thanks, but no... I just need to deal with it, or..."

"Can you block some of it out?" Mentalla approached from Gear's other side. "I know when I left Titan, I needed to work on filtering out the telepathic noise. Could that help?"

"I... think... trying... Apologies, if I can just..." Gear was now being overwhelmed by his internal systems.

Suddenly, a gray aura enveloped him. Gravity smiled as he, too, approached. "Here, this should help. I'll carry you along with us, so you don't have to concentrate on flying."

Smiling gratefully, Gear said, "Thanks. Pardon me for being rude a bit, but I need to withdraw from you all for a moment." Going silent, Gear began to review his machine sensory settings. "Block out economic broadcasts... political information... health transmissions..."

Wildfire gave Gravity a thumbs-up, as the Legionnaires continued to fly onwards.

Thunder pointed up ahead. "The Science Police have told me about a disturbance ahead. This way."

"Go on ahead if you need to," Apparition called out. "We can track you with our flight rings. But take Wildfire and Density with you."

Thunder flashed a grateful smile. Density commanded his body to concentrate his mass, making him shrink ever so slightly as he became more compact. "This should make it easier to carry me," he smiled as he latched onto Thunder's back. As soon as he was secure, Thunder arced ahead. "Yahoo, advance force time!" Wildfire gunned his thrusters.

Jed was grateful for his transuit as Thunder sped forward; he had foolishly tried out his flight ring once without wearing one, and had gotten a face full of dirt and dust for his trouble. At least now he could keep his eyes open... and as they neared their destination, he could see seven golem-like figures in the middle of the city. "I see them!" he yelled into his flight ring. "Too many civilians though, I don't dare jump!" He tried to shut out the screams, and focus on the targets.

"This is a job for me, then!" Wildfire raced ahead, adjusting his suit controls to fire thin streams of anti-energy. "Clear away, everyone! We'll keep you safe!" Wildfire addressed the crowd as he fired blasts to herd the seven figures together. He flew in a circle around the seven, trying to separate them from the civilians.

Jed jumped off Thunder's back and barreled into one of the figures, driving it back from a terrified family huddling together. "Leave these sentients alone!"

"You're going back to your prison!" Thunder grabbed two more, using Hercules' strength to slam them together.

"How dare you!" uttered one. But the other one just smiled. "Foolish children... these golems are our prison as well. Or they were... but those two idiots who freed us from that cave also freed us from these."

Thunder's eyes widened as the wisdom of Solomon kicked in. "We have to leave, now!"

"Oh no, no you won't," smiled one of the golems. Then it opened itself up and swallowed Thunder whole.

"Okay, team," Live Wire called out as they approached the battle site. "Remember, we can't risk damaging or cracking the statues. Calorie Queen, Blizzard, Gravity, Umbra, Lamprey, we'll help Thunder's group collect the golems. Apparition, take the rest and evacuate civilians."

Gear's eyes opened, and he gave a thumbs up to Gravity. "Looks like I'm just in time. Thanks for the lift."

"It looks like we're too late for the party," Timber Wolf pointed out. "Our friends were too efficient for us."

Below them, Thunder, Density and Wildfire were standing over seven golems. They had been tied up together with scrap metal. Live Wire's brow furrowed; why then, were civilians still running away? Also, Thunder had clearly said that the threat was bigger than it was. "I don't like this. It seems too easy. Be on your guard..."

"Are you underestimating how capable we are? Then eat this!" Wildfire stretched his hand out and fired at them.

"Behind me!" Umbra's darkfield snaked out, meeting Wildfire's anti-energy head on.

Thunder grabbed Density's form and hurled him at the Legionnaires. "I missed you, husband! Your sexy stubble, your revealing costume..." Gravity began to sweat as he focused his power on Jed. At that velocity, it would be tricky to slow him down...

Mentalla reached out to Thunder's mind with her telepathy. "Don't move, Cece!" Mentalla grit her teeth. Thunder was just so powerful...

"We don't even have to move," Thunder smiled. "Now!"

Four of the golems began to glow, and a dark mist emerged from each. One passed through her darkfield and hit Umbra square in the chest. Another surrounded Gravity, who was straining as he held Density in his gravity field. One more slammed into Calorie Queen, who had just set down a damaged grav-car. And the last swirled around Blizzard, who had been trying to freeze the golems solid.

The rest of the Legionnaires shielded their eyes as their four teammates began to glow. The light was so bright that Timber Wolf dropped to the ground with a snarl; it was too much for his senses. And Mentalla found herself driven out of Thunder's mind. Even Gear had to morph a visor to withstand the brightness.

"Ah, how adequate. Finally, a vessel fit for me!" Umbra looked at herself in satisfaction as she joined Thunder.

"Hmph, I'm too skinny. I wish I had more muscle," Gravity sounded annoyed as he compared himself to Density.

"I like this girl. She's been eating a lot," Calorie Queen nodded in approval. "More than most puny humans can."

"Can we just get this over with?" Blizzard created an ice cushion and sat down. "I want to nap."

"Oh no... we're too late," Lamprey began to pale. "What should we do, Live Wire?"

Garth's hands began to crackle with electricity. "These aren't our teammates now, gang. But those are still our teammates' bodies. We have to stop them without hurting them."

"If only they'd be careful about not hurting us..." Microbe sighed as Thunder began to laugh.

"Yes, you'd prefer to be one of our vessels once we're done with you," Thunder smiled cruelly as she began to advance on the remaining Legionnaires. "The Seven Deadly Sins are free once more, and we won't let you take this away from us."

IB's notes:

1) On Live Wire and magic. After encountering Emerald Violet (L*40-41), being kidnapped by Mysa (L*42), Garth was so fed up with magic that he rejected Dragonmage on the spot at his tryout (L* 43). Garth did warm up to Mysa and Dragonmage when they fought against Mordru though (L*48-52).

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/11/23 07:37 AM.
Re: Back to the Far, Far Future
Invisible Brainiac #1021973 01/11/23 01:01 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

90th Century Binderaan

The Seven Deadly Sins

Sloth - possessing Blizzard, Brek Bannin of Tharr; cold projection
Gluttony - possessing Calorie Queen, Taryn Loy of Bismoll; consume all forms of matter, and conversion of same into super-strength
Lust - possessing Density, Jed Rikane of Earth (Mongolia and Nepal) and Quothon; controls his body's density
Envy - possessing Gravity, Tel Vole of Earth (Cambodia and Thailand); gravity manipulation
Pride - possessing Umbra, Tasmia Mallor of Talok VIII; shadow casting
Wrath - possessing Wildfire, Drake Burroughs (energy gestalt of two beings); anti-energy being
Greed - possessing Thunder, Cece Beck of 90th century Binderaan; SHAZAM-empowered human with enhanced strength, speed, durability, stamina, wisdom and flight powers (Reserve Legionnaire)

"Legionnaires, make sure they don't hurt any civilians!" And with that, Live Wire launched himself at Umbra. Experience training with her taught Garth that her darkfield was great against physical attacks, but that other kinds of energy might have a chance...

Pride/Umbra laughed as she eyed her attacker. "Please, Live Wire, you're not even as strong as your sister Spark*, and I could beat her in my sleep. I'll swat you like the gnat you are." With a flick of her wrist, Umbra sent dark bands at Garth.

"I don't need a lot of power to beat you," Garth smiled even as the bands wrapped around him. "Now, Tayla!"

"I can beat both of you!" Pride/Umbra laughed as she looked around and spotted Lamprey. "Here, have some darkness to snuff out that annoyingly cheery personality of yours."

Tayla didn't even bother to answer; she could quip later. Instead, she focused on sending a spray of water from the supply she carried right at Umbra's feet. "Garth!" she called.

Though his limbs were wrapped, Garth unleashed a burst of electricity from his eyes and at the puddle around Umbra's feet. "AYYEEII!" Tasmia screamed as she fell unconscious.

As the bands vanished from around them, Garth and Tayla flew at Tasmia. Tayla quickly checked her vitals. "She's unconscious, but otherwise fine." Garth quickly pulled his flight ring to his lips. "Team, they have our friends' memories but not their battle skills or experience."

“yeah, I’ve fought Umbra in practice and she relied on her combat skills as much as on her darkfield,” Lamprey observed.

"I can see that," Timber Wolf growled as he faced off against Gluttony/Calorie Queen. The blonde smiled in delight as she ripped the doors off a grav-car and devoured them. "Ah, I adore this form," she licked her lips. "Now I can eat ANYTHING!" She burped as she squared her body and looked at Brin. "I could even eat you. I've always wondered what fur tastes like..."

Brin just snarled as he circled Calorie Queen. Once she made a move...

"Don't make me wait, big boy," she laughed. Bending over, she slammed her fists into the ground.

Brin waited for the shockwave to reach him. Then he leaped up into the air, using it to propel himself forward. Retracting his claws, he instead formed a fist and smacked Calorie Queen right in the face.

"Owwww! Don't damage my teeth!" Gluttony spat. "If you stop me from eating..." she countered by swinging around wide. Brin somersaulted backwards, avoiding the hit. "I'm okay here, Garth," he reported back. "Gluttony over here fights like a wet noodle. No memories of any Legion training." Not even waiting for a response, Brin launched himself forward again. Gluttony's eyes flashed, and she began throwing objects at Brin. Making sure to keep his leaps short, Brin dodged and wove his way through them.

"Stay away!" Gluttony screamed as she threw a hoverbus at Brin. Brin quickly pivoted his body so his feet met the bus; he then propelled himself to the right, and twisted again to bounce off a pole. Before Gluttony could react, Brin's feet slammed into her face. Not even Calorie Queen's enhanced durability could withstand the kick, and she crumpled to the ground.

Microbe crouched low as she stalked her target. Sloth/Blizzard was leaning back, yawning, on the snowbank he had created to lie on. "I love possessing beings with long-range powers," he sighed. "Just makes it so easy..."

Drura thought for a moment. On one hand, Sloth always seemed like the easiest Sin to defeat. On the other hand, she knew very well that Brek could freeze her in an instant. She had at least a dozen microbes that could withstand sub-zero temperatures and do the job, but getting them near Brek was another matter... she watched him carefully; he seemed to be projecting the cold outwards in all directions. How could she...

"Ah," she smiled. Drura clumped snow together into a snowball, then commanded a few million microbes to inhabit it. Taking to the air, she carefully positioned herself directly above Sloth. Then she dropped the snowball. As it fell closer, she called out, "Hey, lazybones, up here!"

Sloth/Blizzard looked up to see the snowball zooming towards him. "How tiresome," he sighed. "I hate cleaning things up, so..." He sent a couple of pointy icicles at the snowball, breaking it up into a flurry of snow. "And now for you, you pale little... HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!" Sloth gripped his chest as he doubled over, coughing. "What... HACK... have you... HAAAAAAAACK!"

"I just had to get close enough to deliver the payload," Drura smiled as she felt the temperature around her begin to rise again. Now that Brek couldn't focus, he couldn't use his powers either. She flew towards Brek and mercifully knocked him out with a nerve pinch. Making sure he was unconscious, she commanded her microbes back into her body. "Sloth deserves what he got, but I wouldn't want poor Brek to have a bad weekend," she smiled.

"You think you're so sprocking good, just because you sprocking joined first!" Envy/Gravity's power enveloped Gear, slamming the Legionnaire into a wall. Gear made sure to grunt out in pain. He knew that even with all his techno-morphing, he was potentially outclassed against both Gravity AND Density.*** Tel had the range, after all. But maybe, just maybe, Envy and Lust could be tripped up...

"Please..." Gear whispered, commanding his body to go limp. "You know I'm not the Legion's best combatant, I'm more of a support team member."

"Hah, you've been on plenty of missions," Lust/Density giggled. "I know cause I've seen the vids." Lust openly ogled Gear. "I like your tall, slim frame..."

Envy/Gravity rounded on Lust. "You always look at other men! You used to only have eyes for me!"

"Now, now, there's plenty of me to go around..." Lust/Density reached out and touched Gravity's lightly-furred bare chest. "And there's plenty of you, too. What say we collect some more guys and have fun?"

Gear couldn't keep from rolling his eyes. Not only were these Sins unable to control themselves, but they were so engrossed in their spat that they weren't even looking at him! Making sure to keep the bulk of his body limp and struggling, Gear slowly morphed one arm into a blaster cannon...

... Density's hand didn't even finish travelling down his husband's abs as both men were knocked out by a sonic wave.

As the gravity field holding him in place vanished, Gear caught his two teammates' forms. "I just wish I could unhear their hot and heavy flirting," Gear muttered.

"Release me, worm!" Greed/Thunder raged as she strained to flex her muscles. "I did not choose the most powerful of you to possess, just to be trapped her, unable to move!"

Mentalla grit her teeth as she strained to hold on to both Thunder and Wildfire. "I can control a handful of sentients at a time, but Wildfire's energy form and Thunder's power are..." she began.

"Let me help you out." Apparition turned intangible and dove at Wildfire.* "After all, I've become good with machines, and this containment suit IS a machine..."

"Oh, shut up, princess!" Wildfire raged as streams of energy burst from his suit. "Little rich girl thinks she's better than me!"

"Tinya-!" Delya cried out.

"No worries, Delya, an apparition is never in the way." Tinya calmly flew through Drake's energy blast. As she reached his suit, Tinya plunged her arm in. "I'm glad I spent time studying this. Now, we don't have a spare here, so we don't want to destroy it, but rather..." She phased her hand carefully through the circuitry in the suit that locked its controls from anyone other than Wildfire. Keeping her body carefully in phase, Tinya solidified ever so slightly so that she could touch the circuitry without damaging it. "I have control, and now..."

Wildfire's containment suit dropped, inert, like a sack of Winathian onions.

"He's off until we turn him on again," Tinya smiled as she stepped back.

"Looks like a wrap," Live Wire called from above. Lamprey, Timber Wolf, Gear and Microbe all converged on Apparition and Mentalla, the unconscious forms of Umbra, Density, Gravity, Calorie Queen and Blizzard in tow.

Greed/Thunder stood stock still, eyes blazing with anger and hatred even as Mentalla commanded Thunder's body to stay still.

"That was the easy part," Lamprey 's heart was beating. Her first mission! "I'm so glad we came up with that plan."

"The historical records and Thunder's knowledge were clear," Microbe's eyes twinkled. "The Seven Deadly Sins like possessing sentients... but they don't tend to make those sentients more powerful."

"I'd guess that their long imprisonment in those statues also made them weaker," Gear pointed at the vessels around them. "

"So it made sense to lure them into some of us," Apparition continued. "That also let us keep the status whole and safe, so we can return the Sins to them."

"I'm just glad I wasn't one of the possessed..." Mentalla shivered. Everyone nodded in acknowledgement - they had all been willing, but everyone was relieved to not be taken over.

"Yeah, now that's the part we didn't figure out yet..." Timber Wolf muttered. "We have to get them out of our friends."

"Well, Thunder did explain how she normally travels to our time," Live Wire offered. "Some of us could go back, fetch Mysa, and maybe she can figure something out."

"Actually..." Mentalla said as she felt Thunder's body struggle. "We didn't have time to discuss this as a group, but I maintained telepathic contact with Thunder. Just before she was possessed by Greed, she had a flash of Solomon's wisdom. Coupled with what her old Wizard told her..." Mentalla quickly explained their theory. "Of course, it's only a theory," she stressed.

"Well, it beats having Microbe keep everyone sick, and Mentalla keeping Thunder motionless, while we go for reinforcements," Timber Wolf shrugged.

"Risky, though," Gear pursed his lips. "What if they jump into us?"

Mutters of debate broke out. Then Live Wire, as the senior Legionnaire, held up his hand. He locked eyes with Apparition, the next most senior, and both nodded.

"I appreciate the hunch, Mentalla, and this is by no means an indication of the faith we have in you and Thunder, but..." Live Wire began.

"We do have the situation in control now, so we don't have to take unnecessary risks," Apparition continued.

"I understand and agree," Mentalla smiled. "We could be wrong, after all."

"Glad we're on the same page," Live Wire smiled.

Legion World
back in the 31st century

Brainiac 5, Querl Dox of Colu; 12th level intelligence and force field powers
Kid Quantum II, Jazmin Cullen of Xanthu; time manipulation. Current Legion leader.
White Witch, Mysa of Zarrox; sorcery

Kid Quantum II rubbed her temples as she listened to Live Wire's story. She had just been sitting with the White Witch, Violet and Invisible Kid, reviewing the Espionage Squad's findings on the disappearances of magical objects around the galaxy. Jazmin had needed to calm Mysa down, as Mysa was always edgy about Mordru potentially getting free of his prison on JS-1967.***** It had taken a bit of soothing for Jazmin to convince Mysa to look into the findings after checking up on Mordru again. Even now, Mysa was sitting with her arms crossed, frowning.

"So..." Jazmin sighed. "Apparition and five others are watching over seven possessed teammates of ours 6000 years in the future... and Mentalla thinks she knows how to un-possess them, but this theory was crafted with Thunder - who is now one of our possessed."

"That's about it," Live Wire shrugged. "Oh, and we think the original vessels are still intact, but we can't be absolutely sure."

"Well, just another day in the life of a Legionnaire, eh," Jazmin sighed. "Querl?"

Brainiac 5 looked up from his Omnicom. "Triad and Marla Latham have already liaised with the President's office, and we have our authorization," he said drily. Having once been imprisoned for unauthorized time travel******, he had been very conscientious about not doing it again. "And we've been traveling through time so much recently, another round trip shouldn't hurt."

"Right," Jazmin said. "Very well, Garth, lead the way."

90th Century Binderaan

Gear had finished checking the statues for damage, and given the all-clear. Apparition had liaised with the local authorities of the team; they had been helped by files from Thunder, who had - in her foresight - explained who the Legionnaires were. Brainiac 5 had his forcefield up for protection; Kid Quantum was ready to freeze time around their teammates; and the White Witch had done some magical research to test Mentalla's theory. And a privacy screen had been set up to keep civilians from approaching or observing the team.

"I think we're as ready as can be," Kid Quantum noted. "Delya, you're up."

Mentalla fixed her concentration on Thunder. She had explained to her teammates that she didn't simply tell people what to do; she went into their minds and pushed the levers and buttons that made actions happen. So commanding someone to speak what she wished, required her to move the mouth and tongue just so. But she had been practicing.

Greed/Thunder's eyes bulged angrily as Mentalla forced her way in. "Cap- Cap- Captain Marvel!" she whispered.

Magical lightning struck Thunder and the six unconscious Legionnaires around her, and a huge thunderclap erupted. Then, seven shrieking spirits vacated their host bodies and were driven back into the vessels were imprisoned in.

Kid Quantum immediately enveloped each of the seven statues in a quantum bubble. "Perpetua," the White Witch chanted; as her magic surrounded a statue, the bubble around it shrank inwards, embedding itself into the statue's material.

"It is done," Mysa intoned. "The stasis bubbles will keep these Sins frozen as long as my spell remains undisturbed."

"Oh, moley, I'm so glad you figured it out!" Cece Beck, who looked just like Thunder even without her powers*****, ran to Mentalla. "I didn't have much time, but I'm so glad our gamble worked!"

"Heck, just getting you all possessed by the Sins was a gamble in itself," Lamprey laughed. "But I really am glad it worked!"

Microbe slowly commanded the sleeping sickness bacteria in her teammates to recede; she had chosen the Andromedan strain, as the only real symptom was drowsiness. Though given the differences in physiology, Umbra at least would have mild muscle pain for the next three days. As they stood up, Calorie Queen immediately made a face. "Ew, what did I eat while I wasn't myself?"

"I, uh, just want everyone to know that I won't hit on someone like a creep," Density said, embarrassed.

"I think I need to hit the gym," Blizzard sighed. "All that lying around gave me cramps."

"Looks like all's well that ends well," Kid Quantum surveyed her team. "But remember, Dr. Ryk'rr is on-hand in case any of you want to talk about your possession..."

"It felt like I was on the outside, looking in," Umbra muttered. "Like I was watching someone who wasn't me. I hated it, but it was nothing compared to the Blight. And not nearly as long.********"

"Alright, but remember, there's no shame in talking to a professional if any of you need it," Kid Quantum reminded gently. "I trust you all to take care of yourselves."

"So," Cece began. "I'd invite you all to have dinner with my parents and I, but..."

"Absolutely not!" Brainiac 5 cut in. "I insist we go home before I observe any more future technology, and invent something dangerous!********"

"The Wisdom of Solomon agrees with you, Querl," Cece laughed. This was exactly why cross-time visits were so rare, to minimize damage to the timestream. "It's okay, you all already helped with clean-up. I can bring the statues back to the cave myself. And the ones who set them loose are still in custody, so we should be fine."

"Well, we'll see you back in the past, then," Wildfire waved. And Thunder waved goodbye with a smile as Brainiac 5 triggered the time platform to bring her teammates back to their own time.

"Moley, I love being in a team," she smiled to herself. "Thanks, Captain Marvel!" Transformed back into Thunder, she grabbed two of the statues and flew back to the cave where they had been hidden.

IB's notes:

1) Spark died and was resurrected in LSH 101, when Live Wire drew electricity around Korbal to jump-start her. A side effect was not only restoring her to life and returning her lightning powers, but also making her more powerful than Garth. This development hasn't been mentioned since...

2) See Legion 12, the battle against a holographic JLA, for more examples of Gear's trickery and playing possum!

3) Apparition learned how to affect machinery and electronics in LSH 87 (a swami drew from Tinya's essence to become a poltergeist type, and Tinya was left with the ability to affect electronics)

4) Mordru was imprisoned there, dormant, in L* 50. He almost woke up once in L* 73 even!

5) When Thunder was an Active Legionnaire in the Reboot (LSH 110-123, L*67-80), she was a preteen as Cece Beck (think Billy Batson age). In Volume 1, I aged her to be about the age of the Legionnaires.

6) Brainiac 5 was jailed by then-president Jeanne Chu in L* 32, and was only pardoned by RJ Brande in LSH 80!

7) Umbra was among the Blighted Legionnaires in Legion of the Damned, LSH 122-123 and L*79-80.

8) Brainiac 5's dangerous inventions are also a running joke in the Reboot: he invented a time machine that got him arrested (L* 30-32, LSH 74-75); he invented COMPUTO to return to the 30th century, but COMPUTO went rogue (LSH 98-100).

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/09/23 04:31 PM.
Re: Back to the Far, Far Future
Invisible Brainiac #1021978 01/11/23 01:47 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard

Legion World
back in the 31st century

Kid Quantum II, Jazmin Cullen of Xanthu; time manipulation. Current Legion leader.
White Witch, Mysa of Zarrox; sorcery

*************************************************************************************

"We debrief tomorrow, team," Kid Quantum said as the Legionnaires arrived back on Legion World. "It's been a long day, get some rest." Sighs of relief abound, as the other Legionnaires filed out of the room.

She nodded to the White Witch. "Mysa, I'll see you and Lyle together in two days?"

Mysa nodded, a bit distractedly. Apparition, noticing her teammate's discomfort, gave her a squeeze. "Mysa, I know you're worried. If you'd like to sit and talk...?"

Mysa inhaled. "I feel weary, Apparition. I think I'm going to bed now. But..." she smiled with genuine warmth. "I really do appreciate your concern - and I would love to have breakfast with you tomorrow, if you're free?"

"It's a date," Tinya smiled. "I'll see you in the cafeteria. Link you later for the time."

"See you, Tinya," Mysa waved as she left. Tinya smiled; this was the first time Mysa had addressed her by her first time.*

"Well, Tinya, I don't want to go to bed without dinner," Timber Wolf laughed. "You want in? How about you, Kid Q, Cal?"

"I think I've eaten enough for today, but I wouldn't mind some synth-wine," Calorie Queen smiled. She had hung back precisely hoping to catch some time with Mister Brin Londo - he had just been so agile, so powerful, so animalistic during their fight while she was possessed by Gluttony...*

"Ah, sorry Brin, I have one thing before you go," Kid Quantum's smile vanished.

Brin cocked his head. "it can't wait, boss?"

"I don't think you want to wait on this, Brin," Jazmin smiled a little bit, in sympathy. "If I could have a word in private...?"

"I'll wait outside," Tinya said quickly. "Uh, me too," Taryn said. But she couldn't resist looking back one more time before the doors swung shut.

"So... how are you enjoying being a Legionnaire?" Tinya smiled at Taryn. It was obvious that Taryn was crushing on Brin; she had such a goofy grin on! Taryn, startled out of her reverie, turned to focus on Tinya. "Oh, it's just been amazing. Fabulous! Like, it's more fun than I ever imagined, and now I feel like life is just full..."

"That's great," Tinya smiled.

"And how about you?" Taryn asked. "I mean, you've been here longer than I have, you've met your husband through the team, you have a kid..."

"I'm really fortunate," Tinya grinned. "It just all came together, and..."

They were interrupted by the door slamming open. Timber Wolf stalked out, and Tinya had never seen him this angry before. Not even on Rimbor**. He was basically frothing at the mouth now. "Brin, what's -"

"It's my father."

Tinya gasped. Brin had told her the stories...

"He's here on Legion World," Kid Quantum said quietly. After all, Brin had opened the topic up.

"I'm going to slice that squaj open."

Jazmin raised her voice. "Brin, Mar Londo is a prisoner under investigation. I sympathize, as it's personal, but you will follow protocol when visiting him."

Brin bared his teeth.

"Brin," Jazmin said sternly.

"Fine."

"I can go with you, Brin, if you need..." Tinya began.

"Thanks, Tinya, but I need to do this alone."

Jazmin considered; Chameleon and Shvaughn Erin had been hoping that Brin could shed some light on Mar Londo's experiments, but now was clearly not the time. "He's in cell 1278, Brin."

Brin stalked off without a word, while Tinya, Jazmin and Taryn all looked at him.

"Well," Tinya smiled at the other two. "Do you want to grab dinner, and let's see how hungry Brin is after he talks to his dad?"

Taryn was still watching Brin storm off, and Jazmin had to call her a couple of times before she answered with a shaky yes.

If looks could kill, Mar Londo would have dropped dead on the spot once Brin Londo walked outside Mar's cell. A Science Police officer - he recognized her as Sybelle Deacon - walked up behind him.

"I'm interviewing this prisoner alone," he growled. Sybelle, known for her snark, saw the look in Brin's eyes and swallowed the retort she had been going to make. Brin watched as she walked off.

He knew that Legion protocol for this section - full of prisoners under investigation - meant their conversation would be recorded. He didn't care.

"So, I see you're still alive," Mar began.

"No thanks to you."

"Son, I did it to-"

"Don't call me that!" Brin snapped. "You're my father only biologically."

"I did it to help you," Mar finished. "Without my experiments, you wouldn't be where you are today."

Brin clenched his fists. He remembered the intense pain, and him wishing for death. Days and days of suffering. That had only ended when the experiments finally mutated him, gave him his powers; and he had smashed his way through Mar Londo's laboratory to freedom.

"I never wanted powers," Brin glowered. He was grateful for them now, but if he could have avoided everything that he went through to get them...

"Well, they made you special," Mar sat down.

Brin stepped up to the door and looked Mar straight in the eye. "If I ever see you walk out of here, I'll make you swallow the head of that damned sprocking Karth Arn android of yours****, and then cut your hands off so you can never do this to anyone again." And without waiting for Mar's reaction, he stalked out of the prison.

Mar Londo watched his son leave. Then he sat down, silently, in the corner of his cell.

IB's notes:

1) Apparition's been making an effort to befriend White Witch; this has roots in L* 74, when they bonded over having terrible fathers (Mordru for White Witch, Luonel Burdo for Apparition - he was a sentient-trafficker and con artist who had sold part of her into slavery; don't worry, he got caught). )

2) Last issue wink

3) See Legion Worlds 6; Apparition was on Rimbor finding a connection to Ultra Boy (who was then Lost in Legion Lost); she saved Timber Wolf's life and they became friends.

4) Timber Wolf was never given a canon Reboot origin, so I decided to reboot it myself. Yes, it is THAT android, the one that gave M'Onel and company such a hard time!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/14/23 08:28 AM.
Page 38 of 49 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 48 49

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Nekogami
Nekogami
Canada, Earth
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star