Roll Call
0 members (), 15 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 05/01/24 08:55 AM
Postlo3w stories *LATEST UPDATE 1 MAY*
by razsolo - 05/01/24 05:21 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:53 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:45 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:44 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/01/24 03:42 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 04/30/24 06:24 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Let's Plot the JLA/JSA/Timely Comics Crossover!
#1023886 03/13/23 09:13 AM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
So imagine that DC had bought Timely Comics in the late 50s.

No Marvel Age of Comics, but we get a cool 70s revival of the Timely characters on another Earth in an annual JLA/JSA crossover!

How would that go?

Re: Let's Plot thr JLA/JSA/Timely Comics Crossover!
Eryk Davis Ester #1023891 03/13/23 09:35 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Ooh, this is gonna be fun! Thank you, EDE!

Okay, right off the top of my head -- major roles for Golden Age Vision, The Destroyer, and the very cool-looking Thunderer!

Namor kicks Aquaman's butt.

More to come...

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Eryk Davis Ester #1023892 03/13/23 09:48 AM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
I figured you'd enjoy this one, Ann!

I imagine the Red Tornado/Human Torch interactions would be fun!

Eryk Davis Ester #1023893 03/13/23 09:49 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Captain America and Green Arrow discover their politics are more alike than they'd initially thought.

Wonder Women of Earths 1 and 2 teamed up with Miss America!

Flash outraces Whizzer.

Eryk Davis Ester #1023894 03/13/23 09:50 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I figured you'd enjoy this one, Ann!

I imagine the Red Tornado/Human Torch interactions would be fun!

Awesome idea, EDE!

Eryk Davis Ester #1023895 03/13/23 09:53 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Sandman/Vision team-up!

Eryk Davis Ester #1023896 03/13/23 10:01 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
So, possible rosters:

JLA: Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Red Tornado, Black Canary, Green Arrow, Aquaman

JSA: Wonder Woman, Robin, Green Lantern, Sandman, Starman, Mr. Terrific, Atom

Timely: Captain America, Namor the Sub-Mariner, Human Torch, Miss America, Whizzer, Destroyer, Thunderer, Vision

Eryk Davis Ester #1023908 03/13/23 05:53 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Crisis In Time

Four intrepid astronauts rocket from Earth-T on a pioneering flight, only to encounter something out there. An aeons old force that has been waiting for contact. Their actions result in the release of The Future Man (All-Winners Squad #21). But his escape has been anticipated. Not by any heroes. But by rivals who know they are destined to battle him across time.

As they wage war to leave one conqueror of time across the multiverse, The Future Man, Per Degaton and the Lord of Time use pawns from the timelines of their own universes. Only the added power of The Whizzer to the Cosmic Treadmill, allows the heroes a final assault on the fortress beyond time.

Justice League of America: Green Arrow, Black Canary, Flash, Red Tornado, Hawkman, Hawkwoman
Justice Society of America: Batman, Robin. Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Atom
All-Winners Squad: Captain America, Whizzer, Sub Mariner, Human Torch, Miss America, Toro & Bucky

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Eryk Davis Ester #1023927 03/14/23 01:03 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thoth, how did you find out about Future Man? You must know of a really good resource!

I confess I don't know anything about Golden Age Marvel villains, except the most obvious one, the Red Skull. I also have a passing familiarity with the heroes and villains which Roy Thomas retroactively placed in WW2, via The Invaders series from the 70s. But I don't think any of them would fit the purpose of this thread.

Ann Hebistand #1023928 03/14/23 02:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Thoth, how did you find out about Future Man? You must know of a really good resource!

I confess I don't know anything about Golden Age Marvel villains, except the most obvious one, the Red Skull. I also have a passing familiarity with the heroes and villains which Roy Thomas retroactively placed in WW2, via The Invaders series from the 70s. But I don't think any of them would fit the purpose of this thread.

The All-Winners Squad existed in 1946 with a membership of Captain America, Human Torch, Sub-Mariner, Bucky, Toro, Whizzer and Miss America. Thomas created the Invaders as a pre-cursor to that team during WWII. Invaders would not work due to it being a Marvel creation, but All-Winners would be the team that would be used in such a crossover as it also consisted of Timely's major heroes.

And Thoth's plot is brilliant. I wish we would have gotten that story.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 03/14/23 02:21 PM.
Eryk Davis Ester #1023967 03/16/23 03:54 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Fickles

Comixology have had a few Marvel Masterworks sales. Vol 1s were available for £0.50, while later ones were £1.49. I got quite a few. Some I targeted, such as All Winners vol 4, that contains the two All-Winners Squad stories.

At the end of one story, Future Man and his ally Madame Death are hurled through the past, after Captain America sabotages their time engine. My story starts, with them having gone back aeons, before crawling back second by second in temporal stasis within their craft. Time has frozen, but the solar system has moved on it’s journey. They need someone to make contact.

Originally Posted by Nighty
…but All-Winners would be the team that would be used in such a crossover as it also consisted of Timely's major heroes.

And Thoth's plot is brilliant. I wish we would have gotten that story.

Thanks Nighty. Nice of you to say.

The All Winners Squad gives the JLA & JSA an already established super team for the crossover. No retcons, or grab bag of heroes required.

The JLA/JSA rosters could be tweaked, as they are similar to the Earth-S crossover ones used at the time. None of us could resist a Tornado/ Torch encounter. A lot was to get the JSA of the golden age to meet the Timely characters. Robin is there to meet the Earth-T sidekicks, Wonder Woman to meet Miss America,
Batman with Captain America etc. The Atom there as his Atomic punch will be part of the finale. I’d consider an Earth-2 Hawk due to the reincarnations of that character, fitting the story.

You could play the above plot as a straightforward annual Crisis crossover.

But EDE’s post said “No Marvel Age of Comics.” So, my “Four intrepid astronauts” are a certain Richards, Grimm and Storm siblings. No need to show them getting powers, just sowing seeds.

Who is the biochemist, with the determined financier who gives vital information on the The Plague Swarm from Year Z (to give a Morrison title to things that are in the original crossover books)? Why, it’s a certain Mr Pym and a Miss Van Dyne.

Mr Blake, fleeing from bio-armoured Wicing warriors, finds an artefact in a cave system.

After the heroes win, companies are quick to salvage technologies from across the timestream. None more so than Mr Stark.

Little bits of throwaway fun.

Taking it a step further, we add EDE’s “we get a cool 70s revival.”

Just the period a certain someone was at DC…

As the 4 astronauts rocket from Earth-T, Jimmy Olsen watches their Eath-1 counterparts (Morgan, Davis, Haley and Robbins) launch into space to investigate an anomaly at the same co-ordinates.

As the Future Man is released, not only are Per Degaton and The Lord of Time warned of their foe from another universe. On a utopian world, an angry, out of place warrior is summoned to meet his society’s leader at a wall of prophecy.

One of the Plague Swarm could be a certain, reluctant Forager. Again, nothing that overt. Just seeds.

None more so than the finale. The “fortress beyond time” might be the final escape of the villains. But it’s not something they created. It’s a rocky, barren looking world, lit only by massive fire pits throwing death into space around it. The reason for the young warrior’s summons is revealed. Darkseid now knows of the multiverse.

And off into Kirby’s New Gods we go…

After JLA/JSA crossovers, a lot of the characters dip back under the radar. They would return in Crisis. Beyond that, they would be part of DC’s Legends.

Which means one of them will be selected for the All New Justice League.

Captain America’s Golden Age outlook versus Guy Gardner? If the Timely heroes are plucked out of time for the above crossover, could post crisis DC have a story about hero found frozen in ice?

Would the “America” in the heroes names be a problem for a team going international? Or could Miss America also be added in #7?

How do the DC heroes feel about the aggressive nature of Namor, even as the Sub-Mariner is locked in a post-crisis civil war with their old colleague, Aquaman?

Martian Manhunter, fresh from burying his colleagues due to Ivo’s androids, could now have an android (J'Onn never spend much time on the team with Reddy) and a flame based one on the team.

Barry Allen gave his life to save the multiverse. Wally West’s powers continue to kill him, while Jay Garrick had retired and is now helping prevent Ragnarok (Thor appearance). Will The Whizzer takes on the mantle of The Flash, and join the League?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Eryk Davis Ester #1023973 03/16/23 04:38 PM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
Commander Steel was originally created by Gerry Conway as an homage to Captain America.

Why create the homage when you can write actual Captain America stories?

And of course an elderly Steve Rogers creates the compound that JLDetroit uses as its headquarters, as well as putting his grandson on the team.

There's a whole backstory about how he transferred to Earth-1 some time in the intervening years, which we may or may not get before Crisis.

Eryk Davis Ester #1023974 03/16/23 04:38 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Okay...um...I think Thoth's story is very good, but it's a million miles from what I had in mind.

EDE, is it okay if I do a whole separate thing?

Gods, this post was so hard to write. I don't want to minimize Thoth's story and all the work he put into it, and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Eryk Davis Ester #1023976 03/16/23 04:42 PM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
The more ideas the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.

People can throw stuff out, and if other people want to pick up on it... cool.

I had a half-formed idea where it's basically a rehash of the Earth-X story, but with communists in the place of Nazis. Probably not something DC would have actually published at the time, though.

Eryk Davis Ester #1023978 03/16/23 04:47 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Okay. Good. I'm relieved. Thanks.

Yeah, the Planet Soviet idea wouldn't have flown in the 70s, with the real-world attempts at thawing the Cold War.

Applying the same idea to the 80s, OTOH...the mind boggles. LOL

Eryk Davis Ester #1024072 03/19/23 03:16 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by EDE
Commander Steel was originally created by Gerry Conway as an homage to Captain America.

Ah, that makes sense. Just thinking back to Commander Steel’s original series and how he is transformed into a superhuman.

Why create the homage when you can write actual Captain America stories?

Originally Posted by EDE
And of course an elderly Steve Rogers creates the compound that JLDetroit uses as its headquarters, as well as putting his grandson on the team

It also explains why Steel’s original costume in the Justice League Detroit is similar to Fighting American’s (created by Simon & Kirby in response to, Timely successor Atlas’, version of Captain America)

click to enlarge [Linked Image from pm1.narvii.com]

This would be around the time Conway & Thomas were looking at those old costumes. Move the skull to be a face and you change Black Terror into Mr Bones (with a nod to Blazing Skull along the way)

It also adds another layer to Conway deliberately looking to emulate the Avengers of Cap, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye. A group built after the big guns have departed, at odds with themselves and as a team.

As an aside, with Aquaman leading the Detroit team, you have another character very similar to a Timely one. Sadly, Bill Finger’s issue with a breakdancing hero never reached the printers. smile

Originally Posted by EDE
There's a whole backstory about how he transferred to Earth-1 some time in the intervening years, which we may or may not get before Crisis.

In the JLA crossovers and All-Star Squadron you use to get splash pages of heroes nipping across between parallel worlds. Thomas determinedly moved a load form Earth-2 to Earth-1 even as the Crisis arrived to render such things meaningless to the new DC (if not some fans and writers)

In the case of Commander Steel , it was the arrival of Harbinger on Earth-2 and the Crisis that resulted in his transfer between worlds.

Originally Posted by EDE
I had a half-formed idea where it's basically a rehash of the Earth-X story, but with communists in the place of Nazis. Probably not something DC would have actually published at the time, though.

For the JLA/Timely crossover, I hadn’t settled on whether to make them Timely heroes in the ‘70s. Or, due to the time travelling villains, have been scooped from the 1940s.

The astronauts, echoing the FF, were definitely in the ‘70s. My first thought when typing away was that it would be a grim, downtrodden world where the horrors of WWII had been replaced by the paranoia and fears of the cold war. There would be secrets behind the launch because 1) the encounter with Future Man may not have been chance and 2) such a journey was a technological advance on the world they were in.

That actually fits in with Simon & Kirby’s Fighting American, and other ‘50s anti-communist stories where the reds had replaced the nazis.

It also fits in very nicely with your use of the older Steve Rogers backing the Justice League. He was considered to be a very conservative figure, leading to his attacking the League in the end.

Conway’s Commander Steel series couldn’t survive the DC implosion. But it, like Vixen, was clearly on his mind when he got to rework the JLA. So, it makes perfect sense that we might well have ended up with Captain America’s grandson in the JLA.

As you mentioned the Earth-X heroes, they did have a run in with a version of the All-Winners comic main stars, grouped as The Crusaders. in Freedom Fighters (1977): The Americommando (Captain America); Barracuda (Namor) and Fireball (Human Torch).

[Linked Image from ]

Meanwhile a Crusaders group would appear in Roy Thomas’ Invaders, as analogues of the Freedom Fighters. (One of li’l thoths early back issues was an Invaders issue with the Crusaders in it. li’l thoth was a bit meh about it, as I recall. smile )

[Linked Image from ]

As you say EDE, why have the homage, when you can use the originals? So, scope for another crossover between Earth-X and Earth-T. Well, the Freedom Fighters had moved over to Earht-1 for their series (see how easy it was smile ). So, there’s an easy story seed of them trying to get back. But meeting the Earth-T heroes instead.

Eryk Davis Ester #1024088 03/19/23 10:27 PM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
You know... I've never read either The Invaders or The Freedom Fighters series, but they both seem like books I should check out.

I love the idea of the Freedom Fighters/All-Winner's Squad teaming up on a regular basis, as a kind of alternative to the JLA/JSA teamups.

Eryk Davis Ester #1024099 03/20/23 05:12 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
My 2p on Invaders:

The writing is consistently solid, because even though Roy Thomas eventually delegates it to another writer, that writer is the talented and versatile Don Glut, who went on to write many episodes of Transformers.

The artwork, unfortunately, ranges from functional to awful.

Eryk Davis Ester #1024164 03/22/23 03:52 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
You know... I've never read either The Invaders or The Freedom Fighters series, but they both seem like books I should check out.

I love the idea of the Freedom Fighters/All-Winner's Squad teaming up on a regular basis, as a kind of alternative to the JLA/JSA teamups.

I was going to say that you're not missing much. But I might be doing the Invaders a disservice. I think I'd want to take another look at the art again. It might be one of those that I have more of an appreciation of now. I remember a brief moment with thinking a back issue of All-Star Squadron might not be that engaging, based on my thoughts of The Invaders issue I had. Presumably the Ordway art won me over.

The next time I'm at my folks, I might see if I can put my hands on it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,041
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
kidflash2fan
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star