Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 56 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:41 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:40 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:39 AM
Errors on Main Forum Page
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:35 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Harbinger - 05/15/24 02:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Re: What I found today at my LCS!
thoth lad #1021927 01/10/23 04:49 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by thoth lad
And I has a certain Mr Fixit issue!

Yay!

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
rickshaw1 #1021943 01/10/23 06:42 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Thoth, verra nice. I like PAD, but I never had the Fixit stuff.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1021949 01/10/23 07:55 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
Thoth, verra nice. I like PAD, but I never had the Fixit stuff.

The Fixit Era is not my favorite phase of PAD's long Hulk run. There's some good scripts, but most of the artwork is terrible and it's all a bit soft-edged.

But that's the main reason I'm so psyched about this new miniseries -- PAD is getting a chance to execute the stories closer to the way he'd originally envisioned them. And, like I said before, Cinar's artwork is, bar a few hiccups, solidly done.

rickshaw1 #1022759 02/04/23 04:43 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well, so I didn't pick up any Legion today, though I did put a few backissues in my pull for later at my LCS.

But, I did get a couple of my Holy Grail's today.

First up, Superman Number 279. I remember this cover from my childhood. Batgirl falling to her "death" with Superman flying up on for her to entreat him to save the city, not her. But, they were together again BY POPULAR DEMAND! I don't even care if the story is good. That cover is a childhood thing for my comics reading heart.

Next up, Showcase #101 Hawkman, Hawkgirl, and Adam Strange against some tiny green aliens. Never even saw most of the Showcase books on the spinner racks when I was a kid. I guess Zippy Mart and later Scotchman didn't like that particular series. Again, don't even care if the stories good, that's just a bonus. That cover though... Again, a hot redhead with curves. Any wonder I married one?

Next, an instant grail, in that, I'd never even seen this before but once I saw it, hadda have it. GIANT Weird Secret Origins. Six Strange Stories with Spectre and Dr. Fate on the cover. Dont' ask me why, but as a kid, the first time I saw the "earth 2" heros, I instantly liked them more the the earth 1 contemporary guys. They were just so much cooler.

And finally, the Flash 790, which is the first part of the inseries One Minute War storyline. I actually got the second part first.

I stopped by hoping for Nightwing 100, but they still don't have one for me.

Anyway, that's the pull. A couple of holy grails for me. Right there with Barry standing in front of the mirror, rocks phased into his body with Iris calling out for him.

Certain things were just effin cool

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1022762 02/04/23 05:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Great haul.

rickshaw1 #1022924 02/11/23 05:20 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
My haul was pretty small this week, but still kinda nice.

First up, Secret Society of Super-Villains #3. Captains Cataclysmic, or what I call, "Somebody ate some craaaaaazy <beep>. From an outer space romp to a high sees romp all in one issue. Don't tell me they were smokin' somethin in them old offices.

Green Lantern #191, the secret of the Predator. Or, as the cover looks...yaller yaller yaller.

Now for the good stuff. Superboy number 173, The Super-Clark of Smallville. Yeah, it was an okay lead, but I was really there for the Tuska drawn Legion backup. One of the quickest Mordru appearances ever, I'd guess, but still, a Mordru.

And Adventure comics number 336. The True Identity of Starfinger....long lost descendant of the cousin of Goldfinger and his girlfriend, Orangefinger.

Yup, that's it. Not a great haul, but one i like very much.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1023117 02/18/23 08:43 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Well, all I can say is that this week is pure Legion-y goodness.

First up, Adventure Comics #336, The Revolt of the Girl Legionnaires! or, Chicka Chicka Blam Blam, oh baby you dead.

Second, Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #199, the Gun that Mastered Men. Or, Brainy gets really Dramatic While Jeckie Runs Forward Into A Wall Facing Backwards.

And Lastly, Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #205, The Legion of Super Exectutioners. Granted, I've already got this one, but this copy is in much better shape than the one I already have.

That's it, folks. Not a big haul, but I think it's a quality haul.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1023148 02/19/23 02:54 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Good fun there, Rick!

From the odd SSoSV to the baffling origins of The Predator and SLoSH too.

There was a display case of comics next to the counter at my local shop a couple of weeks back. I saw some X-Men things I have going for a lot more than I ever paid for them, or would pay for them.
I was told they had expanded their back issues. So, I went back the following week, and up the stairs. They did have some Adventures and SLoSH, buit nothing I didn;t already have. They had a nearly full looking set of v4 ones too up to T&Ms departure. I tried and failed to recall which one of mine had the dunked biscuit disaster, and if I'd already replaced it.

I've not looked at comic prices in a number of years, but theirs would suggest that either
1) prices have rocketed on their way to a world where they will receive superpowers.
2) More likely that they are at it, and their prices are just silly.

Having said that, I came across a small bundle of '60s ones in a local market. All DC sci fi themed ones. They were pricey too.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #1023158 02/19/23 03:46 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
yeah, I love the old stuff, Thoth, but I still get second copies sometimes. I once tried to sit down and construct a database of what I did and didn't have over my entire collection.

Gave up after a few hours. Just waaaay to much stuff to list. I've been buying to read for decades now. The big money stuff, some of it I have originals, but they are well read and not in great shape. But that's not why I get the books. It's about the fun to me.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1023169 02/19/23 07:01 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I'd not know where to start with a list. The only one I had was a wants list from decades back. I'd have it on a little index card to take to comic shops/ marts.

Later, I'd generally focus on the one thing, making it a bit easier.

I definitely had a point, a long time back on whether I was going to take it all seriously, and get into buying/ selling. But it was a short train of thought, as, like yourself, I buy them because of the fun of reading them.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #1023627 03/05/23 02:40 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Small this week. Just Nightwing 100 and 101. Gotta be honest, getting tough to read Nightwing. Squishy is about the best way I can describe it. Then, got part 4 of Flash's one minute war. Okay. Not great, just okay.

But, I found that last Legion story where the Fatal Five kills so many and the series ends at Ollies for about three bucks. I was digging some of the art, like that new Empress, but it wasn't super great to me.

Just kinda...flat week.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1023820 03/11/23 06:39 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
So, all older stuff this week.

Iron Man #90 Crushed by the Controller, or "Mom, I'm 17, I'm not a baby anymore!" Great Kirby Cover.
Justice League of America #109, Black Canary practices guitar fretwork while Superman falls through a door.
Justice League of America #114, frankly, nothing funny here, JSA in tha house folks! The Original still tha best.

Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes #236, triple story action with an Iron Mike Grell cover. His sci fi covers were just so damn good.

The Legion of Super*Scratch that* Substitute-Heroes. Never had this one before. Bwa Ha aaah never mind.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1024434 04/01/23 06:41 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
So, today was a holy grail sort of day for me. Sam is home for the spring break so I took him and Carol to Charleston. The rest of the day was great, a good time had by all. But, at the last stop, which was Ollie's on River's Ave. in Charleston, well...

First up

Worlds Finest Comics Guardians of Earth. Featuring some of Superman's greatest Team-Ups! Superman and Hal Jordan getting ready to go at it with Dr. Fate saying "Let the Battle for Earth Begin!" Now, not a holy grail per se, never even knew it existed, but it made me very happy, so I grabbed it.

Next up: NEW GODS by Gerry Conway. This stunning book, with art by Newton and Adkins ...just...holy fecal matter, Batman. But, still, as great as this was/is....

THE SILVER AGE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES Omnibus Volume 1! Holy freakin' shit on a shingle served with Horse Crackers! A hundred dollar book, in absolute great shape...for $12.999 ! I mean...JEEZ!

Guys, I love my LCS, Legends in Florence, SC. And that's where I spend my money. They take care of me, find books for me, do right by me. But I've never even heard of these books, much less seen them at Legends. And to think we were tired and almost skipped stopping.

I cannot wait to start reading the nearly 700 freakin' pages.

I just can't tell ya'll how happy it makes me.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1024437 04/01/23 07:28 PM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
THE SILVER AGE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES Omnibus Volume 1! Holy freakin' shit on a shingle served with Horse Crackers! A hundred dollar book, in absolute great shape...for $12.999 ! I mean...JEEZ!
Wow, that's super cool!! I woulda pounced on that too! smile

razsolo #1024455 04/02/23 05:38 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar

That's wonderful, Rick. I love bargains like that. And there's lots of great stories in there. Happy reading!

rickshaw1 #1024463 04/02/23 09:10 AM
G
Leader
Leader
G
HOLY CRAP! What a great find, Rick!

It's a great volume, too.

Interested in the Post-Zero Hour Reboot Legion? Check out:

The Reboot Legion Timeline

Fan Fiction: The Legion of Super-Heroes v4.1 (continuing the reboot from issue 126!) on LW or here (external)

rickshaw1 #1024469 04/02/23 02:22 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Rick

Lovely find Rick, and that price just makes it all the sweeter. Lots of Silver Age fun ahead.

I had another peek through the back issue bit of my local shop. I didn;t see many of the ones that stood out last time, so they must have been picked up sharpish by a customer based starved of seeing these things up close. First Issue specials are going for a lot more than the ones I bought (makes mental note). I did ask, and they are all part of a Tom King thing. he's also writing Human Target apparently. I stopped myself saying the only people markes as targets are the poor sods who are willing to pay 15 quid for Codename:Assassin.

I did note they had reduced a Kirby thing. Not price tag on a 4 graphic novel boxed set. So, I had a peek online, and saw that one was nearing the end. Popped home and got that for a third of the price. A nice feeling when they arrive, and the paper quality will be better than the single issues I have. Looking forward to Glossy Kirby Dots!

rickshaw1 #1024476 04/02/23 04:01 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Enjoy all the Kirby Kraziness, Thoth. What's the title, or titles?

rickshaw1 #1024479 04/02/23 04:49 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Thanks Guys. Thoth....niiiiiiiiice.

Something pithy!
Ann Hebistand #1024483 04/02/23 04:56 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand

It has The New Gods, The Forever People, Mister Miracle, and Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen. I got a number of issues a half dozen years back. But I don't have them all, so it will be a treat.

rickshaw1 #1024490 04/02/23 06:48 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Man, I was excited when I got the recent Silver Age Batman Omnibus for a third off, and that was still 70 bucks!

rickshaw1 #1024497 04/03/23 12:41 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Terrific find Rick. Congrats.

rickshaw1 #1024551 04/03/23 06:08 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Thanks, Stile, I think I got very lucky. EDE's, I thought it was gonna be about $30, even on discount because it had a sticker saying that. But when they checked they dropped it to $12.99, for which I truly thanked the good lord. I was struggling to justify that 30. Thirteen, yeah, I could go with that muuuuuch better. So I completely get where you are coming from.

Something pithy!
thoth lad #1024581 04/04/23 11:02 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar

It has The New Gods, The Forever People, Mister Miracle, and Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen. I got a number of issues a half dozen years back. But I don't have them all, so it will be a treat.

Is that the collection where they're all in black & white except Jimmy Olsen?

Ann Hebistand #1024588 04/04/23 02:14 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive

Is that the collection where they're all in black & white except Jimmy Olsen?

All in colour. Arrived in the post today! Looking forward to some nicer weather to sit outside and read them.

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,327
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden