Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:45 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/03/24 02:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:47 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Bitter End: New Titans 126-130
#1025913 05/21/23 06:55 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
I recently gave Marv Wolfman's final Titans storyline, the aptly named "Meltdown," my first ever reading.

To give you some idea of what the working conditions must have been like: the book changed editors mid-story, and the first issue marked with "Meltdown" on the cover is actually a fill-in issue by a different writer (this issue does have one thing going for it: Rick Mays, a talented artist whom Sarky recently brought to my attention.)

"Meltdown" proper begins in issue 127. And, again, the artist, this time one William Rosado, performs waaaaayyyy above and beyond what the script deserves -- in many spots, it reminds me of my beloved Steve Epting!

As for the story, it's probably the best Wolfman could have done under the circumstances, which is to say it's merely laughable rather than truly awful. The definitive Titans are mostly reunited (Nightwing only shows up at story's end), Robot Vic regains his capacity for human emotion, Garfield and Raven are both purged of evil, and...that's pretty much it.

Another telling detail: the letters page disappears after the editorial shift, never to return. Wolfman says goodbye in a very awkward, teeth-clenched caption on the last story page.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Re: The Bitter End: New Titans 126-130
Ann Hebistand #1025926 05/21/23 03:40 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Wolfman hated every last bit of it. Whatever control he once had over it, had long since gone. I think Nightwing appears in the last panel, because the Bat-Office didn;t want to release the character back to the guy who created him. That's how toxic that was.
Twomorrows' Teen Titans Companion has a Wolfman interview of that whole period.

I picked up the Rick Mays issue, and enjoyed it. A new cast, lots of interaction, solid dialogue and lovely art. It had a good take on Roy Harper and his daughter too. I enjoyed it enough that I started picking up other issues. Helped completely by a discount comics catalogue, I got a lot of them very quickly. That issue was one of the highlights.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ann Hebistand #1025931 05/21/23 03:48 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Yes. That interview is morbidly fascinating to read. He seems so bitter -- granted, with some justification.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #1025935 05/21/23 04:24 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
It must have been tough, having the writer's block while watching and having to go along with the changes. I've read a few of the letter columns when Wolfman split up the team around Crisis. Lots of complaints with some editorial assurances that things would get better. By the Time of Titans Hunt, they got sidetracked into all the other books and events, that the storyline really broke things up. From the deliberately non interrupted Wedding of Donna and Terry as a creative triumph to the strength of the characters to the completely interupted Wedding of Dick and Kory going right back into shock territory. I don't entirely disagee with teh editor who shook things up. Only that the attention to the dynamics and structure of the previous successes got jetisoned along the way.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ann Hebistand #1025961 05/22/23 03:37 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Writing can be tough! I joined a writer's club in university, and we always said writing is a full-time job!

Ann Hebistand #1025974 05/22/23 04:05 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Unless you were writing about your part time job, as you'd then have to give it up to write about it, which you couldn't because you'd given up... ow. head hurts...

Moderated by  Caliente, Fanfic Lady 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,084
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
LegionFan223
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Querl Dox
Querl Dox
Saline, Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star