Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 69 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/29/24 12:25 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:28 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: LEGION COUPLES
Klar Ken T5477 #1030502 10/07/23 12:00 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
Originally Posted by Set
other characters like Element Lad stealthily get upgraded to have the power to sense whatever they are affecting, as a side-effect of their power, and it would make sense that Drura could sense disease organisms within another person, if she's able to manipulate them.

Oh, I went all out with this concept in my “Young Legion” fanfics

>> Dacey Ranzz can sense electric fields, like sharks and echidna
>> Pol Krinn II has Braalien Quantum Electro-Vision, like European robins, and infra-red vision, like mosquitoes and pit vipers
>> Durlans can sense molecular structure through ultrasonic vibrations from their antennae (this is well-established in canon)
>> Bgztlr have 4D vision, the ability to see around and inside objects. This operates something like x-ray vision
>> Coluans can see somewhat into the infra-red and ultraviolet, and can discriminate far more colours that Terrans
>> To Bismollians, every element has a different flavor. They therefore find ordinary food quite bland, as it is mostly composed of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon, and a little sulphur and iron.

I'm fairly certain that the bit for Braalians is canon, and was mentioned once. The Bismollan thing totally fits with how Tenzil seems to enjoy eating some stuff more than others. And I've always thought that Tinya must have some sort of X-Ray vision (or at least see surrounding matter as sort of ghostly, when she phases, so that she's not constantly phasing into people in the shower or whatever, unable to see where she's going, when she's be-bopping around the headquarters).

I like the idea of the lightning twins being able to sense electrical fields like a built-in stud finder, just because the notion of Ayla and Garth commiserating about how neither of them really is the target demo for a 'stud finder' amused me.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Set #1030503 10/07/23 12:56 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Set
Jacques, on the other hand, invisibility is the most awesome power *when you're solo,* but kind of sucks in a group where your power is to be invisibly in the line of fire of every zap that Lightning Lad, Sun Boy, Wildfire, etc. throw, and in the path of fast-moving unpredictable bruisers like Jo, Mon, Brin, Chuck, Dawny, XS, etc.

I've thought about this too! I think it's perfectly reasonable to posit that Brainy or someone, has added some functionality to flight rings (or maybe they wear contact lenses or something), so Legionnaires can see whether their more subtle teammates are using their powers

so the others can see Jacques/Lyle's outline; maybe Tinya appears to glow or appears translucent when she's phased; maybe there's a little marker showing shrunken Vi or a disguised Cham, or something like that...

Set #1030505 10/07/23 01:11 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
Originally Posted by Set
And I've always thought that Tinya must have some sort of X-Ray vision

Just found this on Hoopla: from Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane #50

[Linked Image from 64.media.tumblr.com]j

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Invisible Brainiac #1030514 10/08/23 11:25 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Originally Posted by Set
Jacques, on the other hand, invisibility is the most awesome power *when you're solo,* but kind of sucks in a group where your power is to be invisibly in the line of fire of every zap that Lightning Lad, Sun Boy, Wildfire, etc. throw, and in the path of fast-moving unpredictable bruisers like Jo, Mon, Brin, Chuck, Dawny, XS, etc.

I've thought about this too! I think it's perfectly reasonable to posit that Brainy or someone, has added some functionality to flight rings (or maybe they wear contact lenses or something), so Legionnaires can see whether their more subtle teammates are using their powers

so the others can see Jacques/Lyle's outline; maybe Tinya appears to glow or appears translucent when she's phased; maybe there's a little marker showing shrunken Vi or a disguised Cham, or something like that...

Even if the ring doesn't allow the wielder to see Jacques, it's got a communicator built in, and even today, we have friend-or-foe targeting identifiers, so it should be no thang for Brainy (or anyone, really) to program a ring to beep when you are pointing at (or flying at, at Mach A Lot) Invisible Jacques, so that you know not to send 40 gazillion killavolts or the heat of a 1000 exploding suns in that direction...

Klar Ken T5477 #1030519 10/08/23 02:31 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
#16 Saturn Queen (Eve Aries of Titan) and Matter-Eater Lad (Tenzil Kem of Bismoll)

A romance begins when the hero rescues the damsel in distress.

Superman saves Lois. Popeye saves Olive Oyl. Mario saves Peach. Ron Weasley saves Hermione Granger.

This is a centuries-old trope, but it is renewed with the story of Tenzil and Eve.

While imprisoned in a pseudo-Hell Dimension on Evillo’s Tartarus, long enough that he loses his seat in the Bismollian Senate, Tenzil rescues Saturn Queen and Evillo’s other eleven wives.

Eve is actual royalty on Titan, with a claim to the throne, and in the presence of Saturn’s rings her eeevil tendencies are suppressed.

One requirement for her ultimate ascension to political power is that she must be married. Tenzil is game. As for Saturn Queen, it has been pointed out that Bismollians have the most powerful tongues and jaw muscles in the DC Universe.

It is a political alliance, and Tenzil is, among many other things, a political animal, so he becomes Saturn Queen's second husband.

One qualification is that the two are evidently expected to produce an heir.

There have been worse foundations for a relationship through history, and this sort of an arrangement benefits from low expectations. But I have a real fondness for the idea of Tenzil and Eve together.

This relationship only existed in 5YL. When the Universe resets, so do Tenzil and Eve. Saturn Queen becomes more evil; Tenzil generally becomes even more of a joke.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Klar Ken T5477 #1030522 10/08/23 05:35 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Their relationship was fun for a laugh (as was most of Tenzil's 5YL appearances) but I was never really emotionally invested in it. Just a fun story.

Klar Ken T5477 #1030689 10/15/23 01:49 PM
K
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
K
#17 Blok & White Witch (Mysa Nal / Zola Aq)

Maybe I should have saved this one for Halloween.

There have been magic stones throughout mythical history and literature. The Philosopher’s Stone. The Golem. The Black Stone of the Kaaba. The Lapsit Exillis. The Elfstones of Shannara. The Dreamstone. The Nightmare Stone. All I am saying is, Magic and Stone are not entirely incompatible.

“I… I was not aware the humans here were so… so…”

When Blok first meets Mysa, he still has his stone collar and nose, although he is slightly slenderer than in his original appearance. Mysa has been transformed by exposure to magic from a Lana Lang look-alike into a levitating, crystalline, semi-insectoid sorceress apprentice. We know that adult female Dryads are crystalline in appearance, although Strata had far more breadth and avoirdupois than Mysa; this may also be part of the basis of attraction. It is also noteworthy that Mysa wears a crimson stone at the base of her throat, right on the suprasternal notch. It does not appear to be attached to a choker; maybe it is held on with superglue.

Mysa and Blok are OK together. They get along. They are friends. They support and protect and inspire one another. “It was you, Blok, that opened my soul to that final vision. {You} are the stuff of which worlds are made, my stone-hearted friend. Thank you for our salvation,” Mysa tells Blok at the end of Magic Wars.

There is no explicit romance between the two up to this point. They do appear as very good friends, possibly members of a mutual admiration society. Then somewhere during the Five-Year-Gap, Mysa becomes wife and caretaker of the semi-reformed, semi-depowered, semi-amnesiac Mordru. Blok goes off to meditate his way through puberty on the Puppet Planetoid. Neither enterprise goes well. A highly traumatized Mysa must be rescued from Sorcerer’s World by Laurel Gand, and Blok is reduced to a pile of rubble by Roxxas.

Man made of granite.
Step lightly on the roses.

Blok and Mysa’s careers are exemplified by change. They each metamorphose over time through many physical appearances, costumes, personalities, and powers.

Blok loses his collar to Darkseid, and his nose to Omen and the Prophet. As he matures, he grows immense, and develops smoking caldera instead of acne. When we see him in 5YL, he has chimneys growing out of his shoulders. Always rugged and strong, he occasionally manifests a new power: the ability to absorb mass and energy, reflect or redirect energy, communicate telepathically with other silicon-based life-forms, resist organic telepathic attacks and mind-control. His personality varies from calm, careful, and philosophical to the raging anger of an avalanche-- although this may be a dissimulation.

We first meet Mysa as an ugly hag, who transforms into a young freckle-faced ginger named Zola Aq. We next see her in her crystalline moth-girl form, then human again in the thrall of Mordru, then the Avatar of Amethyst, then a purple-haired flirty teen-ager.

When the Original Recipe Legion returns in the Retroboot, it is Blok that rescues Mysa from Mordru on the Sorcerer’s World, and their romance becomes more explicit. Darkness infects Mysa as she becomes the Black Witch, and she passes some of that on to Blok, his appearance changing from granite to obsidian.

Despite the brief nature of the relationship, and the odd juxtaposition of their incongruous appearances and personalities, I have a fondness for Blok and Mysa together. I see in my mind’s eye a crystalline, moth-woman Mysa standing with the fully mature, smoking, smokestacky Blok, an encounter that we never actually see on the page. Perhaps during the Five-Year-Gap, when Mysa went to say one last good-bye to her friend, before she went off to her ill-fated marriage to Mordru?

These are two characters whose arcs are defined by change: I love to imagine them together, in every incarnation.

=======================================================================

That’s all I’m going to do.

Honorable mention (some already mentioned en passant):

>>Zynthia & Star Boy

>>Princess Elwinda of Nadir & Chameleon Boy

>>Janice Warren (Elwinda’s Terran doppelganger) & Chameleon Boy

>>Iresa & Bouncing Boy

>>Myla & Invisible Kid I

>>Dori Aandraison (Rainbow Girl) & Sun Boy

>>Circe & Sun Boy (5YL only, and it was just icky)

>>The love triangle of Ethyl Eyeful & Matter-Eater Lad & Tusker

>>An Ryd & Ultra Boy

>>Captain Frake & Ultra Boy

>>Zera Vultan & Drake Burroughs

TTFN

Klar Ken T5477 #1030691 10/15/23 06:26 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I was never that invested in Mysa-Blok, but for some reason the Mysa-Brin flirtation at the very end of the 5YL era really worked for me.

Klar Ken T5477 #1030692 10/15/23 07:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I enjoyed the friendship/deeper relationship between Mysa and Blok. The way it was not overstated (until retroboot) but always there and shown as having depths of affection was appealing to me. I don't object to the Retroboot depiction, it just shows a further development of their commitment to one another.

One other relationship I will add to your list is Brin and Marella Tao, reporter. They met during Universo's takeover in the Universo Project and continued their romance after for a while. We see her a few times, consulting with Shvaughn and Gigi about legionnaire romances, on a date with Brin a few months later during Starfinger's "ring" attack, and chatting with Brin via holophone during Brainy's trial. We get cameos of her reporting during 5YL but it would seem their relationship ended some time previously, probably by Black Dawn at the latest. The start is portrayed well but then it isn't really pursued as other plots push it out.

Last edited by stile86; 10/15/23 07:57 PM.
Klar Ken T5477 #1030704 10/16/23 01:38 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
Mysa and Blok are OK together. They get along. They are friends. They support and protect and inspire one another. “It was you, Blok, that opened my soul to that final vision. {You} are the stuff of which worlds are made, my stone-hearted friend. Thank you for our salvation,” Mysa tells Blok at the end of Magic Wars.

My pet theory about Blok is that he's somehow absorbed the spiritual essence of his people (sort of like how Threeboot Projectra did the angry souls of Orando?), and that his ability to absorb mass is going to cause him to grow and grow, eventually becoming an immobile colossus, gravitationally drawing ever more mass into himself until he literally becomes a new Dryad homeworld, from which will emerge the next generation of his race.

'Cause I like the notion that Blok's a baby planet. smile

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,983
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Singularity
Singularity
Texas