Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:57 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Re: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
#105584 04/28/12 05:36 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
And now, in honor of tonight's election results, symbol # 160...

The Election Tyrant

[Linked Image]

I am a huge fan of the Tyrant.

His ruthlessness efficiency and single mindedness of purpose just warm the cockles of my heart so much that - when I decided to run for LMB Leader this year - there was no one else I would have even considered having on my ticket.

Sure... we didn't win... but that's no fault of the Tyrant. I simply mark that down to the ignorance and shortsightedness of the voting public.

For his symbol, I wanted to show a completely above board system... one where every voice is heard and each vote counts. I wanted to show that... but then I started laughing so hard that I couldn't complete the design. In lieu of that, I decided to simply show the real way that the Tyrant records your votes.

Bah... next year, E.T., this thing is ours! wink

(In all seriousness, though, huge congrats to Peebs and Jerry!!!)

Up next... we line up all the pretty pictures for group shot 2012.

#105585 04/28/12 09:32 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
And here we are... with the class of 2012 additions... Anita Cocktail, Blaze, The Election Tyrant, Googoomuck, Kid Chaos, Mediocre Boy, Owl Lad, Razsolo, Rokk Steady, and Shining Son:

The new LMB Mission Monitor Board:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

WHO'S WHO:

1. Abin Quank, Actor Lad, Anita Cocktail, Arachne, Arm Fall Off Boy, Arms Fall Off Boy, Awkward Pause Boy, Beagle Boy (Beagz)

2. Bicycle Repair Man, Blacula, Blaze, Blockade Boy, Blue Battler, The Boy with Ultra Powers (Matt), Caliente, Cleome

3. Cobalt Kid, The Crusader, Crymsun Kid, Dedman (Viridis Lament), Dev-Em, Director Lad, Doctor Mayavale, Doctor One

4. , Double Chinner, Drake B 3004, Enigma (C.J. Taylor), Eryk Davis Ester, The Election Tyrant, Everyday Girl, Exnihil, Fanfic Lady

5. Faraway Lad, Fat Cramer, Ferro Boy, Floating Foxlike Creature, Freekinos (Freek'd Kid), Frio, Future, Future King

6. Gamara, Gary Concord, The Gay Green Giant (3G), The Ghost of Numf-El, Giant Robotic Lesbian, Gigglebot Girl, Googoomuck. Grey Birdboy

7. Harbinger, He Who Wanders, Helena Handbasket, High Priestess Viviane, Hot Chick (Kalla Hrykos), Hrun the Barbarian, Icefire, Invisible Brainiac

8. Jailbait Lass (Lolita), Jerry, Jim Gallagher, Karie, Kenaustin, Kent Shakespeare, Kid Chaos, Kid Charlemagne

9. Kid Flash 2 Fan, Kid Marvel, Kid Prime, Kid Quislet, Kid Vudoo (rtvu2), Korbal, Krypton Kid, The Labradorian

10. Lad Boy, Lance's Realm, Language Arts Lad (Dave), Lard Lad, Lash Lad, Leap Year Lord (or Lass), l.e.g.i.o.nJOHN, Legion Reference File Lad (Chaim Mattis Keller)

11. Legion Tracker, Lightning Lad, l'il Rhino, Lonestar Ranger, Lone Wolf Legionnaire, Looks That Kill Lad, Loser Lad, Lucien Lad (Bevis)

12. Malvolio, Matlock, Matthew E, Mattropolis, Mechana, Mediocre Boy, Minesurfer, Monkey Eater Lad

13. Mystery Lad, My Whee Fem, Nightcrawler, Nova Girl, Novelty, Omega Man, Omni Craig, Outdoor Miner

14. Owl Lad, Pagan Lass, Paris Cub, Polar Boy, Portfolio Lad, Poverty Lad, Power Boy, Professor H-0011 (profh0011)

15. Quislet Esq., Raging Bull, Ram Boy, Razsolo, Reboot, Red Arrow, The Red Bee, Ricardo

16. Rickshaw, Rockhopper Lad, Rokk Steady, Rouge (Dave Hackett), Sam Pureheart, Sarcasm Kid, Saturn Girl, Seahorse

17. Semi-Transparent Fellow, Senor Widebottom, Set, Shadowplay in Candlelight Lass, Shark Lad, Shining Son, Sir Roy, Sketch Lad

18. Sonnie Bloke, Space Ranger, Space Tart, Spellbinder, Star Boy, Stoopid Cat, STU, Suddenly Seymour

19. Superboy MDD Jr., Tamper Lad, Tempest, Thriftshop Debuntante, Timber Wolf, Time Teller Lad, Tromium, 235 Andy S

20. Ultra-Jorge, Varalent (Vee), Virgin Lad (Clive), Walk With Crowds, White Raven (Whitelighter), Xben, The Yellow Kid (YK), Zardi - The Eternal Man

#105586 05/06/12 09:14 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Up next, the eighth of ten new symbols, and the most recently registered addition to the symbol ranks (only two left until a newly symmetrical group shot... I'm so excited... smile ).

Normally, I'd wait a bit a little longer to see if a newbie is going to hang around a bit before taking a gamble on adding one of these but, given who vouched for him (and the fact that he already has his own LMB wiki article) I feel fairly confident that we'll be seeing quite a bit of:

Blaze

[Linked Image]

That is so cool and thoughtful, Ex smile Awww! I love it! I bet Blaze will too when he gets his butt over here.

Man, that Mission monitor Board is looking AWESOME.

#105587 05/06/12 09:20 AM
B
Deputy
Deputy
B
Up next, the eighth of ten new symbols, and the most recently registered addition to the symbol ranks (only two left until a newly symmetrical group shot... I'm so excited... smile ).

Normally, I'd wait a bit a little longer to see if a newbie is going to hang around a bit before taking a gamble on adding one of these but, given who vouched for him (and the fact that he already has his own LMB wiki article) I feel fairly confident that we'll be seeing quite a bit of:

Blaze

[Linked Image]

Blaze is, of course, the main squeeze of trusted LMB member, Invisible Brainiac, and the inheritor of the gifts of the "Order of the Sacred Fire". While not a full fledged LMB member yet - he is still honing his potentially deadly abilities under Ibby's tutelage - I have a good feeling that, before too long, he'll be proudly serving alongside us on missions.

Blaze's symbol is fairly straightforward, an Interlac "B" surrounded by a ring of fire, but it is worth noting that I used the same scaling on the letter as I did for that of the earlier Invisible Brainiac one, tying them together as a matched pair.
Oh my gosh, i love it Ex! Boy, I feel honored. Thank you. *blush*

#105588 05/06/12 09:26 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Blaze is so polite, isn't he?

And so cute when he blushes wink

#105589 05/30/12 03:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Ex,

Been away for a long time and look what I missed.

GiGi loves her logo. And a for me, Wow!!, A logo showing Faraway powers always seemed too abstract to show. So I really like the idea you had for this.

Faithfull
#105590 06/05/12 09:01 PM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
Oh, wow, these are awesome. I would use mine for my avatar if I knew how to do it...

#105591 09/20/12 03:23 AM
Lost In Time
Lost In Time

[Linked Image]
Novelty, for those who don't know, is a huge toy collector and particularly likes "The Masters of the Universe" figures, so if he had a power, the obvious one to me would of course be "The Power of Grayskull", the logo for which I chose here.
This is what happens when I go back to lurking on the KYLW thread... I'm not sure if I should be flattered or afraid that I have a stalker. LOL.

Exnihil: Novelty, if he had a power, the obvious one to me would of course be "The Power of Grayskull"
#105592 09/20/12 07:33 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
You've got a "Stalker"? Sweet!

That's that Ditko sword and sorcery guy, right? What... did they make a figure of him as part of that "Warlord" action figure line in the mid-80's? wink

#105593 09/20/12 07:42 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks for the nice words, everybody!

Today we've got three LMBers who will have you seeing red: Crymsun Kid, Dave Hackett (also known as Rouge), and - because it wouldn't be a Legion without a traitor - our old turncoat, the Red Bee:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For Crymsun, I tossed around a couple idea (Crimson Tide, King Crimson) before finding something on the web claiming that the name, "Crymsun" signifies "bloodshed". Personally, I think that might be a bit dubious but, eh, any port in a storm. I used a swipe from the chest logo of the most recent incarnation of the Crimson Avenger from JSA.

For Dave, I thought of tying his Rouge name to the "Moulin Rouge" and maybe using a windmill... it's French... he's a big music fan... but decided that was too much of a stretch. Instead, I just kept it simple and went with the chest logo of the character he uses as an avatar, the "Legends of Dead Earth" Wildfire.

And for the Bee, uber-simple... but I think uber-effective, too. There is something about the combination of the size and repitition of the honeycomb pattern that just says "menance" to me. It suggests both a single minded efficiency and looming threat. How could the LMB not know he would betray them?

Up next:

"Hey! You totally forget one of the "red" ones!"

"I didn't forget her, I just thought she would be better grouped in a whole "Next Generation" LMB thing. It's the next one up, and you're in it, too."

"Right... I'm so sure."
Wow, I had never seen this before. Thanks so much!

Exnihil #766343 03/22/13 09:17 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Well... it's that time of year again... when we open the hallowed doors of the Mission Monitor Board Room to update our files.

Starting next week, ten new LMB Symbols will be added to our roster. We'll meet some new kids and honor some old kids who have made their way back.

But wait... 10? Won't that screw up the nice little 8-across design the board has going? Why, not at all, ye of little faith!

You see, in addition to inducting 8 new members into the LMB Logo Club, we will also be holding an official retirement ceremony for two of our symbols... to be replaced by a couple brand-spanking new ones to reflect two members' new personae.

So, let's take one last look at the 3012 board because, starting next week... it's all 3013!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Exnihil #766431 03/24/13 11:38 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
OK, well "Sunday" is technically "next week" so - you know what - let's get started early.

First up in our new logo additions is a fellow who kicks it old-school, both in his user name and his avatar...

Silver Age Lad

[Linked Image]

Silver Age Lad has been a member is good standing for about six years now (He's actually member # 1234 - how cool!). I don't believe I've posted alongside him, as he tends to mostly stick to the "Legion Clubhouse" forums in which I don't often go. When I do, though, my eye is always caught by his cool animated avatar, and the lively discussions he brings to the table.

For his logo, I went with a fairly literal graphic, but one that has some subtle additional implications. The center portion is simply the alchemical symbol for "Silver", but I like how the three arrows could also represent the three ages of the Pre-Crisis DCU - gold, silver, and bronze, with the center "silver" arrow being the highest.

The symbol is then flanked by an Interlac "A" and "G" - "Ag" being the chemical symbol for "Silver", but also being the beginning of the word "Age". Nice coincidence, that!

Exnihil #766440 03/24/13 02:44 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
And speaking of "Silver Age", perhaps no one's user name on Legion World typifies that era so well as that of our next Logo Club inductee:

Klar Ken T5477

[Linked Image]

Klar takes his name from one of the wilder (yet nearly forgotten) Weisingerian concepts of the Silver Age... The Future Superman of 2965, first featured in Superman #181 in November of 1965.

According to the story, Klar is the direct descendant of Clark Kent, and the twentieth to carry the mantle of Superman. He works for the Daily Interplanetary News (the 30th century version of the Daily Planet) along with Lyra 3916, Jay L3388, and his mechanical computer editor, Per Wye T7357. The more things change, apparently, the more they... well... you know.

For Klar's symbol I did a take on the Classic Superman shield, using the double X as a roman numeral to signify his status as "Superman XX".

Exnihil #766451 03/24/13 08:16 PM
L
Applicant
Applicant
L
Nice work!!!

Exnihil #766461 03/24/13 10:17 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Great looking stuff Ex

Exnihil #766464 03/25/13 04:06 AM
And then there was steak!
And then there was steak!
Wow! Looks great! I really like SAL's a lot!

Exnihil #766476 03/25/13 12:51 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Thanks everyone!

One of the nicest things about this project (especially now that I'm just doing smaller updates) is getting to know some of the folks whose names I always see popping up, but with whom I never really post that much, as they frequent different sub-forums than I.

One of those people is our third 2013 addition,

Stuorstew:

[Linked Image]

Like me, stuorstew was one of the "Class of 2008" - an influx of users like cleome, Sarcasm Kid, and a bunch of others who all joined LW over the course of a couple of months about 5 years ago.

I blush to admit this, but - until fairly recently - I was actually under the mistaken impression that stuorstew was the same person as the poster named, "STU", but - nope - they are completely separate people.

For stuorstew's symbol I've gone slightly more abstract than usual, but that might be a necessary evil of trying to represent a non-descriptive name. In any case, what you're looking at is take on what is called a "Logic Gate". It's a symbol used in Discrete Mathematics (and electrical engineering, as well, I'm pretty sure) to represent the output value based on two or more inputs.

The specific gate used in this image is the "OR" gate (or, if you want to be more specific, the "Exclusive OR" or "XOR") which means that in order to achieve the desired output, at least one of the inputs has to meet a certain criteria.

BO-ring! What are you trying to say here, Ex?

Long story short... I'm showing two paths into a gate. If one is "stu" or the other is "stew", than... bingo... stuorstew!

Sigh... leave me alone... it's a hard name to do. wink

Exnihil #766489 03/25/13 09:19 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
You, know... the more I looked at that Stuorstew logo above, the more I felt it wasn't quite done.

It felt too busy, and I thought it would benefit from another once over... so:

I kept the same idea, but eliminated the extra bar from the "Exclusive OR" gate, just making it an "OR" (which it should be, anyway). Then I scaled down the gate itself, giving more prominence to the Interlac "S", and - by doing so - gave move room to fashion the input paths so they'd be a more accurate representation of the "S" shape themselves.

Now...

[Linked Image]

Yep... much better. Less is more in this case, I think.

Exnihil #766503 03/25/13 11:55 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Stuorstew isn't the same as STU? wow! learn something new everyday!

Cannot wait to see the rest of your symbols, Ex! They really give me chills (in a very good way) when I look at all of em together like that.

Exnihil #766553 03/26/13 02:50 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Oh... it's chills you want, Ibby?

Well, just wait until you check this next one out. smile

A little peek behind the scenes, here:

Although, for display purposes, I post the completed ones here on the board at a scale of 200 pixels square, I actually work them at twice that and then reduce them. Every once in a while, I lose a little bit of detail in the reduction, but mostly it doesn't make much difference.

Not so with this next one. Trust me, double the size is double the creepiness with this one.

Mostly found in the "Legion Clubhouse" forums, our fellow poster from Valencia, Spain...

EmeraldEmpress:

[Linked Image]

AAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

shudder

Exnihil #766558 03/26/13 03:41 PM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
I like the redesign on the Stuorstew symbol (and until you posted about it, I had always assumed he was an alt id of STU as well)
And its been quite a while since I looked at electrical diagrams, but if I remember correctly the symbol you are using for the logic gate "or" is the exact same.

Originally Posted by Exnihil

Although, for display purposes, I post the completed ones here on the board at a scale of 200 pixels square, I actually work them at twice that and then reduce them. Every once in a while, I lose a little bit of detail in the reduction, but mostly it doesn't make much difference.

I do the same thing with all of my art as well (except vector based stuff)
Generally for drawings I scan and then colour at 2x original size and 600dpi.

For my photomanips its an extended process, but the short version is
- expand photo to 3x original and increase dpi to 600.
- run a bunch of custom actions to clean up and sharpen the image
- reduce size back to 2x original and to 300dpi
- run more cleanup and sharpen actions
- Actually do the photomanip
- reduce down to original size or smaller

Exnihil #766639 03/28/13 12:08 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
For our next three symbols, we'll be taking a break from the Primary ID's and taking a little journey into the Alt community, starting with our fifth new symbol:

Angdar Fel

[Linked Image]

Angdar is our Thanagarian member who first aided the LMB in the "Lord of the Oval" saga and has since joined us here on Legion World as a member of the newly formed Academy.

His symbol is basically a direct lift of the Hawkman logo, but with the knocked out eye portion taking the shape of an Interlac "A", titled at an angle which gives it - I think - a slight suggestion of that classic Thanagarian rage.

Exnihil #766719 03/28/13 11:46 PM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
For our next alt ID (and sixth of ten new symbols), I'll post both the full sized image and the reduced one so you can see what I mean about detail occasionally being lost in the sizing. Up next...

Kinetix (Zoe Saugin):

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

So, obviously, for this logo - representing another of the LMB Academy kids (also active in Invisible Brainiac's Security Office) - I went with a lift from the chest insignia of the LSH Kinetix.

However, since I thought it looked a bit bland with just the two moon shapes, I gussied it up a bit by including the filigree pattern from the "Moon of Koll" artifact featured in Kinetix's origin story.

I think it looks really nice at the full size, but the smaller version - while still rather nice - seems to lack some of the punch.

C'est la vie, I suppose. shrug

Exnihil #766787 03/30/13 09:16 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Our third member of the LMB Academy Alt class (and the seventh of our ten new logos) is the girl who - in honor of her late heroic brother - has chosen to take on the code name...

Reflekto

[Linked Image]

For this one, I wanted to to use the scientific symbol for "Reflection" but - oddly - there doesn't seem to be a standardized symbol for that. Weird, right? You would totally think that there would be. Oh, well.

What there is, however - he said, seemingly non-sequitorially - is a symbol for the 80's new wave band, Duran Duran, who just happened to have a big hit with their song, "The Reflex". Curious what that single cover looked like? Well...

[Linked Image]

So there you are. An adaptation of the old "D2" logo, using the female symbol... and we've got ourselves a Reflekto logo, suitable for framing.

Up next... Rookie of the Year!

Exnihil #766850 03/31/13 11:48 AM
Exnihil Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
So, each year, we have quite a few folks join Legion World. Some make a splash for a month or two, then disappear back into the ether-webs; some quietly make a post or two about once a month; some are content to just toil away as a member of the lurking class.

But every once in a while, someone will join who - almost immediately - begins to blend seamlessly into our community such that, in a very short time, it's as though they've always been a part of the LMB.

Cleome... Emily Sivana... Shining Son... and this year...

Conjure Lass

[Linked Image]

Every magician knows that their art is one percent invocation... but ninety-nine percent preparation, and that's why Connie came to Legion World well prepared with her own logo (as seen on the "More Pictures of Members" thread over on the MMB).

I've tried to do a fairly faithful lift of her chest logo here - just slightly re-angled to fit within the workable space of the logo template.

As yet, we've yet to see the extent of Conjure Lass's magical powers. Is she a force for good as Pagan Lass was... or does she have her own agenda like Zardi? Is she a talismanic mage like Kenaustin... or a living conduit for the eldritch forces like STURat was? Time will tell but, for now... welcome to the club!

Up next... "Dead is Dead"

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,240
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
JackMythos
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Bedlam Lad
Bedlam Lad
Bradford, UK
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star