Roll Call
0 members (), 47 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
LMB: The Fair Exchange
#125503 03/13/11 08:40 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Emily Sivana was unnerved, but not by the battle with the Red Bee. The Soul Gem Spirit was very demanding when it was not very understanding. It seemed to love her, but would be willing to kill any LMBers that would stand in the way of it's goal.

I was going to transform you into a goddess, have you decimate this Legionworld and the surrounding sectors. Zardi would fall and balance would be restored in the universe. But I see your love for Chief Lardy, for Power Boy, and for the world you call home. The Primal Love, the Highest Wisdom, and Divine Justice order me to chose another.

Emily said, "I am grateful. I did not know...love has that power? Is there power in mercy?"

Yes there is. There cannot be justice without love. Your friend Sebastian is deluded to think you can buy your way into Heaven. However, I think in time he will see the true light.

"So I must go to Shazam and give you to him. To the heir of my family's worst enemy..." She thought aloud.

Love your enemies.

Emily said, "So I have to find a way out of here without being detected. I could go back to the Tesserect and finish my other project. It's an upgrade of the Zeta beam."

Emily Sivana unsealed the Tesserect laboratory and finished the Zeta beam. "There is 90% possiblity I get there safely and 10% possibility I die. I like those odds." She began the physics reaction, taking care to stand out of the way until the very end.
~~~~
Emily found herself outside the Sivana Mansion on Venus. Unfortunately, her clothes were almost ripped to shreds due to the force of the reaction. She looked up to find her cousins Concordia and Georgiana looking down at her.

"Hello. It's been what, six years?" She smiled.

Concordia said, "Yes it has cousin. How was boarding school?"

"Boarding..."Emily smiled at the lie. "It was excellant. I learnt alot."

"I'm sure you did, given what you are wearing." Georgiana said. "We got to get you inside, Dad has been waiting for you to show up."

Concordia lent her a beautiful green and purple dress. She was then presented before her Uncle Lex Sivana. He greeted her friendly. He said, "I am glad you are back. How is your father?"

"I haven't visited him yet. That's what I have to do after I finish this business," She said.

"Of course. I must take you to all the sights in Fawcett City," Uncle Lex said. "You must be fluent in the geography so you can show Leonard Thawne around."

Emily kept her tongue. She did however ask, "What about the donations I asked about?"

Uncle Lex said, "They are granted, but further agreements will have to be negotiated. For example, I would be willing to invest in some industries if you help us renegotiate a contract with the Crocodile-Men of Punkus."

"Of course!" Emily beamed. "I love that species. I remember when I was four playing with them at the family picnic. I have to see the town now, Uncle Lex. There are so many things I don't remember."
~~~~
Uncle Lex, Aunt Venus, and her cousins (Concordia, Georgiana, and Ryan) showed her around the town. They toured Whiz Communications, which reminded Emily to buy some stock in Sousa Telecom. They paid their respects at the old radio tower where it all began, and saw other familiar old battlegrounds. Her family was at an eternal, almost endless war against the magical forces of the universe. They challenged the wizard Shazam himself.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Re: LMB: The Fair Exchange
#125504 03/13/11 12:58 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
"We have an obligation in the museum," Uncle Lex said without warning. He gathered the family into taxis and they drove towards the Captain Marvel museum. Emily thought this was highly odd. Concordia noticed her expression and said, "It's all about you, girl. Everyone is excited about the donation you are making."

"What donation?" Emily said. She was now afraid.

Georgiana said, "Chill out. You are going to marry into one of the most powerful families in the universe. Why, I think your engagement will be better than mine."

"I think anything would be better than an engagement to Huil Dox," Emily said. "He's just going to steal your research."

Georgiana was about to reply when their taxi cab reached the museum. Emily was greeted by a bunch of press. They asked, "Have you visited your father in jail?" Another asked, "How is Sivana Technology in comparison to Knight Industries this quarter?"

She tuned them out and concentrated on the Soul Gem. This is all vanity, but go inside.Emily had learned by now that what the spirit said goes. It was a strange symbiotic relationship they shared.

Emily was not paying attention and bumped into a young man. He was dressed very conservatively, but he had a sad face. His expressions reminded him of someone very familar. She could not restrain herself from asking:

"Excuse me, are you Nasgerian?" She asked.

"Yes, I am from the planet Cabral in the Nasger Empire," The young man said. He was wearing several talismans around his neck. He looked a bit feminine with the eye-liner, but there was something behind the eyes she did not like. Be careful. He is not alone.

"Who are you?" Emily asked.

"I am Miguel Angelo Aligheri. My father is chair of Fifth Circle Banking," He said. "And you are?"

"I am Emily Sivana. My uncles are in the technology industries," She said.

"Ah, so this is all about you and your donation," The young man said. Then his eyes turned red. I am fond of talismans. May I see yours?

"No," Emily said. "I am giving it to someone else. Now excuse me, but I see strawberries!" She cheerfully removed herself from the situation and gorged on the strawberries. Emily was eating a tenth one when someone tapped her on the shouldar.

"Are you are bored as I am, Emily?" Uncle Thaddeus smiled.

Emily sighed, "Yes. This really isn't me. I would rather be fighting or working in the lab."

Thaddeus said, "I know what you mean. I'm working on a way to get you quickly back to Legionworld before too much time passes. Want to work on the final calibrations together?"

"Yes!" Emily said. Other party guests turned to stare, but thankfully it was perfect timing. Uncle Lex got up to the podium to make announcements.

"I would like to thank Whiz Communications, Fifth Circle Banking...and the Captain Marvel Museum for hosting this event. I am proud to announce the return of Emily Sivana from boarding school. I am also pleased to announce that she is donating that beautiful green necklace to the museum," Uncle Lex said. He gestured for her to walk up to the podium. As Emily walked up to the podium she felt disorientated. This could not end this way, she could not just give the Soul Gem to the museum. Emily could make out the faint smell of smoke as she touched the Soul Gem, as her uncle gently removed the necklace from her neck. He held it to his eye.

Riinnggg The fire alarm went off and the guests began to panic. Her cousin Concordia screamed for the high heavens. Everyone was grabbing their money and weapons. Her uncle dropped the Soul Gem on the floor and reached for his death ray. Emily used that moment to grab the Soul Gem back. As she got up, Emily saw a blue streak.

No...it can't be him. He's been dead for ages!

"Captain Marvel!" Uncle Thaddeus said in shock. Concordia said, "What happened to that funny looking kid that was hanging around the door?" Georgiana said, "This is no time to think about children!"

The blue streak moved closer to her, at which Uncle Lex aimed his death ray. Captain Marvel laughed, "Do you really want to kill Captain Marvel in his own museum?"

Lex was so shocked that it gave Captain Marvel the seconds he needed to knock out the death ray. He then appeared in front of Emily. "I heard you want to talk to the wizard. I can take you to him, still want to go?"

Emily nodded. Captain Marvel took her in his arms and they spun off to the Rock of Eternity. Inside was the seven statues of the seven deadly sins that plague mankind. Emily stayed silent as she saw images from all sorts of dimensions. She was then taken to the wizard Shazam himsef.

"I...I am Emily Lana Sivana," She said.

He said, "I know who you are. This is a very grave matter. Magic is going to try to eclipse the other six powers in the universe. Do you know what they are?"

"Yes I do. Space, Time, Mind, Power, and Reality. The Infinity Gems," She said.

The wizard Shazam continued, "Very good. I see the Sivana genius was not wasted on you. I am here to offer friendship. There is a war coming, and magic will be divided by itself. This war between magic and science, embodied by our familial struggle, must be put aside. We must work together."

"I agree with you. But I am too weak. I don't have any powers," She said.

Shazam smiled, "No, but you have genius level intellect. You just haven't had to apply it because others had fit that role in the Thunderbolts. You are also very brave and very loving. Yes you have made some mistakes...but I think that is a part of science is it not? You learn not from your sucesses."

"Yes, that's quite right! Thomas Edison said that he did not fail ninety-nine hundred times, he found ninety-nine hundred ways not to make a lightbulb," Emily thought. "But what does this have to do with me?"

"You want the equations, do you not?" He asked.

Emily said, "Yes I do. I am willing to make a fair exchange."

Shazam said, "Of course. I will give you the equations in exchange for the Soul Gem." He opened up his hand. Emily took off the necklace and the Soul Gem said, Thank you for protecting me. He loves you, remember He loves you.

Shazam said, "Thank you. First, you will receive the equation that gives you intangibility." When Emily's expression was blank, he clarified, "What your ancestors called the equation that lets you walk through walls. But intangibility is the proper name. The second equation is Johnny Quick's superspeed, I suggest giving it to the secular lord that you love. The third I give you is an equation to summon my champion, give it to the secular lord who will grow to love you."

Emily said, "Thank you. May I ask the name of my friend?"

"I am Freddy Freeman," The wizard said. "And you are free to call the enemy the Big Red Cheese. Do not be afraid," He said.
~~~
Since the Rock of Eternity belongs to all dimensions, it was like Emily never left the party. Everyone was getting cabs and hurrying off home. Emily quickly thanked everyone and called her own cab. There was something she had to do before she went back to Legionworld.

"Where to?" The cab driver said.

"Opal City," She said.

Emily enjoyed the beautiful night sky above Opal City. This place was teeming with history. She looked in the shadowy alley, wondering if the Shade was stalking her again. It turned out to just be an alley cat. She walked through the park, and found a statue of her ancestor Ted Knight aka Starman. Emily took one of the flowers she brought and place it beside the plaque. She then silently went on her way to the cemetary.

"Mother," She said prostrating herself on the ground. "Mother, I hope I am doing the right thing. I want to be just, because I do not want to be responsible for their deaths! I love Legionworld and want it to be well. I want peace...I really do..." She was in tears. All the memories of their deaths and the Lard-bots took their toll on her psyche. She did not understand what she did wrong.

"Please get up. I don't think Alison would want you to be so unhappy," A voice said. She turned around to see a cloud of mist hanging above her. It was Uncle Kyle Knight. He reconstituted himself and landed besides her. She reached out and gave him a hug, he hugged her back. They made a little conversation and he took her inside the house.

"I have alittle surprise for you," Kyle said. He turned on the lights and all her maternal relatives were there. It was a classic JSA party. They took shifts to make sure super-villains wouldn't crash the party. Emily was beside herself with happiness.

"Thank you very much!" She said. Emily enjoyed the cake and there were so many presents. Uncle Kyle said, "Before you ask, I have started the donations. Of course business and business and further contracts would have to be negotiated. Maybe you can get the Thanagarians to actually talk to us."

"That makes sense. Where is Grandpa Kalim?" She asked. Her uncle was hoping she would not ask this question. "He is still ruling that moon. Uncle Todd, Uncle Thomas, and I are disinherited from ruling for various reasons. Uncles Tedd, Billy, and Sylvester are stated to inherit a third of the moon. He gave you a large present though, you'll find it in your bank account,"He explained.

Emily said, "Oh. Uncle Kyle...I did something I think might have been wrong. I did it because I loved Legionworld and didn't want more innocent people to die. But I think what I build did the opposite of what I planned. Nobody died, but it didn't go the way I hoped."

"Our house founder, Ted Knight, felt the same way after he helped build the first atomic bomb. He suffered a complete nervous breakdown," He said. "And I think you were going to do the same if I did not find you. But I think he went about it the wrong way. Science is about learning from your mistakes. Science in the end is a tool for good or evil, and in many cases good and evil. The scientist has a moral duty to look beyound the politics and think about what is best for the universe. So instead of going crazy, I want you to promise me to think about the universe."

"I promise to think about look beyound politics and to think about the universe," Emily replied.

"Good. Now cheer up, the ice cream is starting to melt," He said.

THE END

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Re: LMB: The Fair Exchange
#125505 03/17/11 10:58 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Bonus Feature - A Tour of Charltonburg

Question Lad looked down from the building into the streets. The rent was average and the people walking below were average too. I wonder what they think about Legionworld. I wonder what they think about us...and more importantly how much they know. Everyone thinks I'm going to use their memories to blackmail them.

I'm not. He smiled down and gazed at the key to the building. The address was at 1927 Giordano Drive, just off the O'Neil Highway. He glanced across the street at Keyes Communications, which was a center of journalism. Sebastian Sage took out his wireless communications device and checked his appointments. Yes, time to meet with George Argenti.
~~~~
"As always, I am grateful for your help. The government here is very tight-lipped," George Argenti said. While his name was human, he was a native of the planet Vyrga. He did not want to carry prejuduice and stereotypes with him, for those got in the way of power.

"...the only way a government can be of service to national prosperity is by keeping its hands off," Question Lad quoted.

George Argenti winced, "I hate Rand. Rand is horribly flawed and dated."

He replied, "Yes, I just recently realized I can't be a Randian. One, I worship the Lord Most High and believe he was incarnated in the flesh as Ultor. Two, I believe a strong government is nessecary in order for there to be justice and peace. People do not like to invest in regions without justice or peace. Three, my powers naturally make me a parasite...and I don't think that is a bad thing. Parasites keep the insect population in check."

"Like the Red Bee," George Argenti smiled. "Have you read Machiavelli yet? That is timeless lessons."

"Yes, I reading The Prince along with Lives of the Caesars and the Terran Bible," He said. "But you are in agreement with Sousa Telecom?"

"Yes, I have come to an agreement with Ferdinand Sousa. I think the Legionworld masses would like a Tournament or two," Argenti said. They signed some advertising agreements and shook hands.

Sebastian Sage walked past the buildings and came to Skeates Park. There was a group of students photographing butterflies. A young man, had to be no older than thirty, was lecturing them on what parts of the butterfly they must label on their diagram. A dragonfly caught Sebastian's attention and he decided to take a photograph.

"Ah! Class turn and see what your classmate has discovered. The dragonfly is delicate insect, but it eats mosquitos and bees. A devil to Europeans but a sign of courage to the Japanese," He explained.

I will have to keep that in mind, Sebastian said. He played along until the Professor told the students to get back in the vans. The signs on the van read: Magnus University- Legionworld. Sebastian walked up to the Professor and said, "I am not a student in your class. I am a businessman who is impressed by your lecture. I am going to donate a large sum of money to your institution."

The Professor was shocked,"I am delighted but... that wasn't a good lecture. This is my graduate school assignment. My true research is in the field of radiation treatments."

"No matter," Sebastian said. "I am friends with a Sivana. I'm sure she will match my investment with a grant to your college."

The Professor said, "Thank you! And make grant out to Mikhail Ivanosky." He looked around to all his students were in the bus except for one girl. He said, "Alice, I know this is thrilling but we have to go."

Alice said, "I don't want to go home. All that's there for me is a dying fragrance store."

Sebastian interjected, "Is your mother a businesswoman?"

"Yes, we own Reed's New Age Fragrances on 1996 Walnut Street," She said.
~~~~
A few miles later and Sebastian had arrived at Reed's New Age Fragrances. The girl was right, this place had seen better days. There was a huge clearance sale, which Sebastian took advantage of. He needed candles for the various fasts and rituals required for this season. He went up to the counter to find a middle-age locking up the cash register.

"Hello," Sebastian said.

The woman looked up, startled. Her face then turned into a smile. "It's so nice to have a customer! I'll ring those up right away." Sebastian exchanged cash for the candles and asked, "How is business lately?"

"Business is...still here. I really don't understand it at all. We have a perfectly good location, but over the course of fifteen years my business has slowly declined," She admitted.

"Would you be interested in alittle deal?" Sebastian asked. He pulled up a business proposal he had been working on and showed it to her. At that moment the bell rang and a delivery boy came in with a box and something for the woman to sign.

"Gorgeous day," The delivery boy said.

"It is indeed," Ms. Reed replied, signing for the package while at the same time looking at Sebastian's offer.

"I think we are going to have alot more sunny days" He said.

Sebastian laughed, "You sure are optimistic." The deliveryman took the sheet back, thanked Ms.Reed, and left as quickly as he came.

"Brian Mitchell has alot of bright ideas. He wants to go to Earth to study religion," She explained. "Anyways, back to our business. You will pay for some advertisements, and in return you would like to be repaid with a small percent of interest. Let's do that then."
~~~~
Sebastian Sage walked out of Reed's Fragrances with a signed contract. He felt very pleased with himself. This was so much more beneficial to the common people than fining them. I did what I did for love and a steady income. He walked out and looked at the beautiful night sky. Unlike Legionnopolis, the lights were muted and there was a noir quality to this suburb. Sebastian was reminded of his childhood in Salvador and as he made his way across the cracked sidewalks.

Sidewalks. It's wonderful to live in a country where the government actually makes sidewalks when the people want them, Sebastian said. He kept his eyes down at the grown and did not notice the men with guns standing on the street corner. He looked up and realized he was in a different part of town.

"You with the Tyrian?" One of them whispered.

Sebastian paused. His mind went into Red Arrow's memories about a drug lord named Tyrian. But he was from a different dimension? Did he cross over? Was he a...

"We don't got all day," The biggest one said.

"No. I don't belong to anybody and neither should you," He said. Question Lad took off his gloves and the kids held up their guns. He reached into the memories and disarmed the biggest one, and placed his hand on the mans face. The man collapsed unconsious and the other two men went off running.

"Cowards, both of them. But really interesting memories here. It appears I'm not the only one investing in the future of Charltonburg," He said aloud. A taxi cab pulled up in front of the building. An older man wearing a suit emerged from the vehicle, his red and blue tie perhaps the brightest colors in this landscape.

"I'm here for my due," The man said. "Where is Tyrian? Is he really going to keep the Vice-Mayor of Charltonburg waiting?"

Question Lad said, "Scratch one parasite, find another. How much is Tyrian paying you?"

"More than whatever your boss could afford," The man said. He was reaching for a rifle, but Question Lad was quicker. "I could take you in for corruption, but I don't think that would be justice. You could buy out the jury if not the judge. Instead I want to offer a counter proposal."

"Speak!" The man said.

"Sage Minerals contributes to the next mayoral race campaign, with you on the ballot as mayor. In exchange you fire all the Tyrian associates in your government," He says.

The vice-mayor said, "You have good sense, boy. I agree with your proposal. Mayor Alexander Mcintosh has a nice ring to it."
~~~~
Sebastian Sage got in the taxi back to the Security Office. He look out his Susanoo 3000 and clicked the link to Keyes Communications. The front page article was Argenti's scorching attack on Legionworld government and the Security Council. There was an advertisement for Reed's Fragrances, and on the O'Neil Highway he spotted a billboard. In the local section was an article about Professor Ivanosky's work at Magnus University-Legionworld. The politics and worlds section featured arguments for and against Mcintosh as mayor of Charltonburg.

He flipped to the business section, expecting a full article about Nasgerian investments. Instead, he found a large article about Emily Sivana's charitable donations, along with assessments about Sivana Technology and Knight Industries. Sage Minerals was only mentioned in the "Going Public" column. Sebastian didn't mind it though.Let them underestimate me. I won both peace and justice today.

THE END

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Positive Man
Positive Man
Lisbon
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star