Roll Call
0 members (), 74 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:17 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 10:28 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: An EDE Retro Review: Silver Age Titans Archives and Showcase!
#136282 10/02/05 01:29 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
It's also the last issue in The Silver Age Teen Titans, Volume 1!

Which means I'm going to have to start looking for something else to review...
The issue after the Ant is the one where Beast Boy tries to join the group, too. If only there was a Volume 2...

Follow me on twitter at https://twitter.com/#!/GlenCadigan

or check out my website at http://www.glencadigan.com
#136283 10/02/05 08:45 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Eric Davies Esther:
70s Teen Titans!!! One review is NOT enough.
That may depend on whether I can find any more of them. And if I have to pay $11 an issue for them...

I'm kind of considering picking up the New Teen Titans Archives. I've actually only read scattered issues of that (and not for twenty years) so it might be fun.

I'm also strongly considering the Doom Patrol Archives, now.

#136284 10/02/05 03:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
one thing that always cracked me up about these old issues is that wonder girl was so much more powerful than the others.

the boys would eb fighting bad guys one on one but wondy could fly and throw cars at people.

#136285 10/02/05 06:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Kid Flash had a few manuevers that enabled him to put the literal "spin" on the crooks.

#136286 10/02/05 07:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The 70s Titans was chock-full of powerless characters who relied soley on gadgets or their own natural prowess... Mal, Karen, Duela, Robin, Bat-Girl, Golden Eagle, Gnarrk, Speedy... I always kind-of liked that.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#136287 10/02/05 08:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Actually, LLASH, i kind of figured if they made a movie about the 70's Teen Titans, Jay (of Jay/Silent Bob fame) would make a terrific Charley Parker/Golden Eagle IMHO laugh nod

#136288 10/02/05 08:51 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
EDE RETRO REVIEW: Teen Titans #5

THE PLOT

So, this issue begins with the Titans checking their mail. They've got a letter from Speedy, who says how much he enjoyed working with them on the Olympics case (detailed in the previous EDE Retro Review in this thread). That's a little odd, considering that case supposedy took place two years previously, but I guess Speedy was a little too busy getting high and stuff to notice the passage of time.

Anyway, the actual letter that motivates the plot is from one of Robin's friends, Dr. Paul Turner, who runs Camp Lacklock, a facility for juvenile delinquents in the mountains. The Titans head there to find out what sort of problem he is having, and are surprised to find that Camp Lacklock lacks locks, or walls or anything, and that Dr. Turner's methods involve trusting the kids not to leave. And forcing them all to read Deliverance, I'd wager. That would certainly be enough to keep me from wandering out in the mountains by myself.

So Dr. Turner is worried because he thinks one of his best graduates, Eddie Whit, may have returned to a life of crime as the costumed supervillain the Ant, who has fantastic strength and agility. Turner asks the Titans to investigate, because he's afraid that people will think his camp is too soft if one of his graduates goes bad. So the Titans track down Eddie, who it turns out is being blackmailed into being the Ant to protect his kid brother. So the Titans have to help him outwit the criminal caterers who are actually the masterminds behind the Ant!

CATTIEST REMARK OF THE ISSUE DEPT.

After Aqualad insults her new hairdo, Wondy says of Speedy: "He's cute-- cuter than any of you characters!"

THE CLEVER PRODUCT PLACEMENT DEPT.

Kid Flash reads a Metamorpho comic at the beginning of the issue!

THE TITAN TECHNOLOGY DEPT.

Kid Flash tails the criminals and then contacts his buds by "Teen Radio"!

THE "WE'RE TRYING REALLY HARD TO MAKE AQUALAD USEFUL!" DEPT.

The crooks, having been lured to Camp Lacklock, flee from the Titans. But instead of, say, returning their cars... they hop in a rowboat!

THE OVERUSED JOKE DEPT.

Surely they could come up ant-references besides picnics!

SUMMARY

I liked the Ant a lot, and the basic story was pretty good, though there were a few major unexplained plot points. Like how exactly Eddie and his brother co-ordinated stealing the money from the crooks, and how exactly the crooks ended up at Camp Lacklock. But, other than that, it wasn't bad.

#136289 10/02/05 09:23 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Again with the hair!

#136290 10/02/05 10:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
"CATTIEST REMARK OF THE ISSUE DEPT.
After Aqualad insults her new hairdo, "

i think this can double as the gay titan alert.

#136291 10/02/05 10:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Is it any wonder Donna changed her look after the amount of punishment her pony-tail took both physically - and verbally? lol

#136292 05/04/06 07:12 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
EDE RETRO REVIEW: Teen Titans #6

THE PLOT

Beast Boy tries to get the Doom Patrol to let him join, but they won't without a permission slip from his guardian. So he goes on TV to contact the Titans for a tryout, but they won't let him join without permission from his mean old guardian either.

So he joins the circus, because apparantly they don't care whether his guardian approves or not. Or at least, the Great Baltzer, the guy in charge of this circus, doesn't seem to care. Anyway, Baltzer is a crook, and there's this other dude named Vorna who's apparently in love wth him. Anyway, Vorna is a hypnotist, and hypnotizes Beast Boy into turning into an "albino baboon", who then hypnotizes circus-goers into giving him their money and going out and pulling crimes for him as a mob of looters.

Well, the Titans are soon on to this goofy plot, and join the circus themselves to investigate in disguise as the Masked Mazeppas. Which of course eventually leads to them having a big fight with a hypnotized Beast Boy.

CATTIEST REMARK OF THE ISSUE DEPT.
Kid Flash says to Beast Boy: "What are your powers? Or do you just scare people with that face?"

THE OVERLY CONVOLUTED VILLAIN PLOT DEPT.
Okay, so Vorna can hypnotize people. Why exactly do they need Beast Boy to hypnotize people? Because he can do more at once? That's not made clear at all. And sending a zombie mob out to loot stores? Like that's not going to attract attention.

THE ROBIN'S LESSONS IN INTERNATIONAL LINGO DEPT.

Disguised as a Masked Mazeppa, Robin answers Baltzer "Si, Signor Baltzer!" cleverly maintaining his disguise as a Russian acrobat! (or at least, Mazeppa is most famously a Russian name...)

THE "WE'RE TRYING REALLY HARD TO MAKE AQUALAD USEFUL" DEPT.

First the caputured Titans get dunked in trunk underwater, then the hypnotized Beast Boy dunks him underwater. There is even, completely inexplicably, a shark in the pool of water in the circus ring!

THE GAY TITAN ALERT DEPT.

Kid Flash vibrating at super-speed while giving Aqualad a piggyback ride. Enough said.

GOOFY VILLAIN MOMENT DEPT.

Baltzer shoots himself out of a cannon to aid Beast Boy against the Titans, while waving magnesium flares for some unknown reason.

SUMMARY

Well, Baltzer the great is pretty much a loser of a villain, but I really enjoyed Beast Boy's presence in the issue, and it was, overall, a lot of fun.

#136293 06/14/06 08:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I demand more TT EDE RRs!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#136294 06/14/06 08:41 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
You know... I was just thinking today that I've completely stagnated on my Showcase reading. I'll get back to it, though!

#136295 06/24/06 06:52 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So I'm (finally) nearing the end of the TT SHOWCASE (I'm on issue 15).

I have thoroughly enjoyed it, but I am struck at the difference between the TT and the Legion tales of the 60s.

I mean, you'd be *really* surprised at the amount of TT foes that are nothing more than a punk on a motorcycle.

Then you have some abstract, never-explained weirdo like The Gargoyle or Mister Twister.

I see now the Bob Rokakis kept the 70s revival run of TT much in line with the original run.

Fun stuff but it simply cannot compare to the 60s LSH stuff storywise.

#136296 06/29/06 07:05 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
I'll get back to reading the TITANS SHOWCASE as soon as I get through the new SUPERMAN volume!

#136297 07/26/06 07:53 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
EDE RETRO REVIEW: Teen Titans #7

THE PLOT

The Titans are asked by Uncle Sam (the government, not the Freedom Fighter) to accompany rock star Holley Hip on his trip to Europe. Hip is suspected of being involved in smuggling precious materials between the U. S. and Europe. The Titans investigate and soon find out that the real culprit is "The Mad Mod", who supplies outfits to Holley, and was smuggling the materials in those outfits. So case closed, right? I mean... a fashion designer shouldn't be that hard to catch or anything. But still, The Mod seems to prove far more of a threat to the Titans than one would anticipate, as they are continuously thwarted in their attempts to catch him as he tries to recover the stolen materials!

THE COOL VILLAINS WEAPON DEPT.

When the Mad Mod and his goons try to throw an unconcious Kid Flash off a pier, Aqualad intervenes! Fortunately, the ever-prepared Mad Mod had left his robotic shark at that very pier!

THE GAY TITAN ALERT! DEPT.

Poor Aqualad is so confused about his feelings towards cute Holley Hip! First, he's annoyed because he's "coming on too strong", then spends the entire plane ride sulking in the back after becoming the butt of one of Holley's jokes!

THE WONDER GIRL'S AWKWARD RELATIONSHIPS WITH GUYS DEPT.

The story opens with the Titans checking out their message board, with various notes left to the members (like "Batman called... etc."), and are surprised to discover an autographed picture of Holley Hip that Wonder Girl had place there, because he's "a dreamboat". However, since the picture of Holley Hip is signed with the same handwriting as the various messages to the Titans, which means either a) Holley Hip has been answering the Titans phone and mail, or b) whoever took the messages forged Holly Hip's signature! Because Wonder Girl seems like the most obvious candidate, this seems to be evidence that she's going a bit bonkers over the guy! And let's not even go into the later scene where she makes out with a cardboard cutout of Holley!

THE NAKED TITAN IN A BARREL! DEPT.

Robin's wearing a barrel after lending his costume to Holley Hip is in a category unto itself!

SUMMARY

The issue isn't bad, but somehow I was expecting more from the debut of the Mad Mod.

#136298 07/27/06 11:48 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
EDE RETRO REVIEW: Teen Titans #8

THE PLOT

So the Titans are called to the town of Lansford, where there's a big ruckuss going on over the High School's foreign exchange student program. A group of "patriotic" townspeople, a group called the Vigilantes, are all upset over the three exchange students being there. Tensions are ratched up a notch when one of the students is believed to have stolen an experiment jungle fighting robot, "Honey Bun", from the local military industrial plant! The Titans have to clear Hans of wrongdoing, while catching the real foreign spy, who of course ends up using Honey Bun against them!

THE GREAT FROGS AUDITION DEPT.

Wonder Girl is not impressed by Kid Flash and Aqualad's performance of "All I Wanna Do is Hold Your Foot!"

THE GAY TITAN ALERT DEPT.!

Aqualad shows way too much interest in a young lady who writes a letter and mentions the fact that she is blond, blue-eyed, and five-foot four. I mean, really, how can you tell someone is attractive just from that description? He's obviously over-acting. Poor kid! If only he could just come out of the closet!

SUBTLE POLITICAL MESSAGE DEPT.!

A number of the vigilantes picket signs have words mispelled on them! Thus contrasting them with the exchange students, who are interested in education!

THE GOOFY VILLAIN MOMENT DEPT.

The Vigilantes actually try to tar and feather Hans!

THE CLOTHED TITAN IN A BARREL DEPT.

The Vigilantes then try to put Wonder Girl in the tar barrel!

THE LIKELY TO END UP IN A GULAG DEPT.

Heroic Hans helps the Titans foil the actual spy from his homeland! I'm sure there won't be *any* repercussions once his tenure as an exchange student is over and he has to go back home!

SUMMARY

An enjoyable read, but the plot was a bit convoluted, even by 60s Titans standards.

#136299 07/28/06 08:51 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I've read the earliest Silver Age Titans stories here and there, and I think Eryk's summaries might be more enjoyable at some points wink

I agree with Lash, no comparison to Silver Age LSH. However, I'm one of those people that likes to read what's come before, no matter what it was like, so one day I'll check them out...

#136300 07/29/06 02:50 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Regarding #7: check out WG in the second panel of the last page

#136301 07/29/06 02:52 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
[b]EDE RETRO REVIEW: Teen Titans #8

have words mispelled on them! [/b]

#136302 07/29/06 09:35 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
That and the lack of an apostrophe in "vigilantes" go under the category SUBTLE EDE HUMOR DEPT.! wink

#136303 08/03/06 12:09 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
EDE RETRO REVIEW: Teen Titans #9

THE PLOT

So the cool thing about reading these old Titans issues is how much one learns about how the lives of young people have changed over the years. Case in point: Spring Break. These days, of course, its all about getting drunk and hooking up with as many people as you can. But apparently, back in the old days, before the sexual revolution, gangs of college kids would spend their break going to the beach and fighting with kids from rival colleges!

Well, that's just the sort of situation that motivates this issue of the Titans. The citizens of Baxter Beach call the Titans in to help prevent a rumble between rival college gangs. So the Titans do so, and manage to convince the college kids to do more productive things with their time than fighting. So they organize them in this big environmentally friendly beach reclamation project. And then pirates attack. Yes, really.

WONDER GIRL'S AWKWARD RELATIONSHIPS WITH BOYS DEPT.

Poor Eddie the mailman is introduced as having a crush on Wonder Girl at the beginning of the issue, but she doesn't pay attention to him at all! I mean, he's a little old for her, but it's revealed later that she digs college guys, so maybe that wouldn't have been a problem.

THE COOL VILLAIN WEAPONS DEPT.

Okay, maybe the weapon itself isn't that cool, but how often does a villain get to blow open a bank with a torpedo?

THE TRYING REALLY HARD TO MAKE AQUALAD USEFUL DEPT.

I mean, the storyline is set on a freakin' beach, they're fighting freakin' pirates, and Aqualad just barely manages to be as effective as the rest of the Titans. Which, considering they all get their butts handed to them by the pirates and have to be saved by the college kids, is pretty pathetic.

THE MORAL OF THE ISSUE DEPT.

So, instead of fighting one another over silly differences like which school we go to, we should band together and start fighting pirates.

SUMMARY

So this is basically one of those sixties beach movies adapted to a Titans comic. If you really like those, you might like this. It bored me to tears.

#136304 09/02/06 02:53 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
EDE RETRO REVIEW: Teen Titans #10

THE PLOT

The Titans head out west to judge a "scramble" by a teen bike club called the "Wheeler-Dealers". The scramble takes place in "Wildcat", a old town that dried up when its old well did as well. Anyway, the grandpa of the guy who invited them there is convinced that there's still oil in them there wells.

Anyway, this biker dude called "Scorcher", whose biker outfit inexplicably includes a fireman's hat and an iron cross (and another biker wears a swastika), shows up with his gang, "the Hyenas", and demands a place in the scramble. The hyenas then precede to ambush the Titans and take out the Wheeler-Dealers over the course of the race, which is later revealed to be because they want to use the abandoned town as a place to store loot from their crimes. By the end, the Titans manage to rally against these deadly foes and they find oil. Yes, really.

THE WEIRD FLIRTATION SCENE DEPT.

Scorcher: "It's that knocked out chick, Wonder Doll! You're for me babe... Scorcher digs rough livin'"

A little later, after Wonder Girl rejects his advances...

Scorcher: "Va-Va-Voom! We could make such crazy jazz together-- but you're too much out of sight! If you let old Schorcher get vertical again, I'll take you to your leader... yeah! yeah!"

THE OVERLY CONVOLUTED VILLAIN PLOT DEPT.

"Hmm... should we take over the nearly abandoned town on one of the 364 days of the year when there's no one there, or wait for the big bike scramble which the Teen Titans are coming to? Let's do it during the scramble!"

THE TRYING REALLY HARD TO MAKE AQUALAD USEFUL DEPT.

There in the middle of a desert, so how could Aqualad be useful? Well, he gives Wonder Girl the opportunity to give the reader a nice lesson about how to find water in the desert by extracting it from a cactus, something she learned when she was "in the Girl Scouts" on Paradise Island!

THE "MAYBE THIS WHOLE TEEN SIDEKICK THING WASN'T SUCH A GREAT IDEA" DEPT.

The Titans are almost killed by a freakin' motorcycle gang! Okay, it's apparantly a freakin' NAZI motorcycle gang... but still! I mean, come on! At least Ding Dong Daddy had specially gimmicked motorcycles and such! this is just pathetic!

SUMMARY

Probably the weakest issue I've read thus far in the volume.

#136305 09/08/06 11:47 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Do the later issues get any better, EDE? I was thinking of getting this, but chose ESSENTIAL AVENGERS #3 instead.

If they ever do a volume 2, I know I'd get that- as it'd have some Nick Cardy art and feature the debuts of Lilith and Mal and several stories I've never read.

I'd pick #1 up on sale, maybe.

#136306 09/09/06 01:55 PM
L
Wanderer
Wanderer
L
This is just my 2 cents, Mystery Lad, but no - throughout the entire run of the original Teen Titans, it doesn't get much better. There is the occasional bright spot, but mostly, you either better like the artwork or have a serious appreciation of "camp."

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Caliente, Fanfic Lady 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,988
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Pulsar
Pulsar
Arizona
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star