Roll Call
0 members (), 118 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Teen Titans #16
#138068 09/28/04 09:34 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by minesurfer:
The bottom line is the writing shows a little bit of unfamiliarity with The Legion. I think both the editors and writers have a hand in that.
Okay, I see your points. I would disagree with your usage of the word "unfamiliarity."

I am willing to bet money that a pow-wow session between Johns, Waid, Berganza and Wacker produced both Teen Titans #16 and Teen Titans/Legion Special #1 (again, because TT #16 leads into the Special #1 which leads into the Re-boot #1, Waid and Wacker need not only to know what is going on in TT #16 but to have a hand in it as well). Wacker and Waid are definitely familiar with the Legion.

Flight rings can't activate transuits (or naturally protect their wearers from the vacuum of space)? Okay.

It's silly to have the Persuader's ax cut through parallel dimensions? Okay.

In that case, I would say the creators "cut corners" in order to set up both the meeting between the Titans and the Legion and the imposing threat of Fatal Five Hundred as quickly as they could.

They needed to bring the conflict from point A (Teen Titans in the 21th century) to point D (the Fatal Five Hundred rampage on 31st century Earth), and the only QUICK way they felt they could do that is via Point B (flight rings activating transuits) and Point C (Persuader's Ax cutting through parallel temporal realities).

Contrived and silly? Sure, it can be looked at that way.

As I see it, the fuss about the flight rings is really not worth arguing about (innovations do NOT have to occur on-panel), and the Persuader's Ax is one of those super-hero comic book "science-fantasy" elements that you either swallow and continue reading or laugh hysterically at and drop the book.

It's the same when in the mid-1980s in a Paul Levitz/Greg Laroque LSH, Vol. 3 issue Mon-el brought a white dwarf star into Legion headquarters to act as a power supply for one of Brainy's contraptions.

Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php
#138069 09/28/04 10:10 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I'm willing to take a leap of faith here. I'm trying not to be a stickler on the corner cutting and the off panel innovating. I know Waid and Wacker are familiar with The Legion, the thing that really bothers me about this whole thing is this:

The minister of paranoia seems pretty anxious to overlook these minor infractions. It just makes me think that something a little more sinister is going on here than what we've been led to believe.

Seriously though, I think that the creators need to be criticized and praised accordingly. I see that happening here.

Something Filthy!
#138070 09/28/04 10:17 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to post. ShrinkingViolet

Move along, nothing to see here.

Something Filthy!
#138071 09/28/04 10:26 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Oops, sorry. Didn't mean to post. ShrinkingViolet

Move along, nothing to see here.
Liar. Trying to pad for yer thousandth post, weren't ya, Mr 999 tongue

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#138072 09/28/04 10:34 AM
Deputy
Deputy
It was an honest error. I went to edit my previous post and accidentally hit the reply with quote button and add new post before I realized what happened.

Let me just add that I'm not sorry I posted it, and specifically didn't delete because I didn't know if that would take my count back down or not. tongue

Something Filthy!
#138073 09/28/04 11:01 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So then I get to congratulate you on your REAL 1000th post.
Cool.

#138074 09/28/04 12:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Seriously though, I think that the creators need to be criticized and praised accordingly. I see that happening here.
I agree totally. In this case, I think the creative people behind this issue (whoever they may be) did a diservice to both of the teams with this contrived and hurried set up. With the price of comics being as high as they are now, I expect a lot more.

This is all my opinion of course. But I'd like to state it. Thanks.

#138075 09/28/04 01:25 PM
Active
Active
The minister of paranoia seems pretty anxious to overlook these minor infractions. It just makes me think that something a little more sinister is going on here than what we've been led to believe.
I'm not performing my ministerial duties, huh? Well, since SoM/Reboot won't be leader for much longer, I thought I'd slack off on the job. What's he going to do? Fire me! Heh, heh, heh. Lame duck Leader. laugh

If we can lump all those responsible for producing the comic book as "the creators" and blame them for a comic book we don't like, I don't have a problem with that. I just don't like it when one particular professional (in this case, Geoff Johns) gets singled out and blamed for something we really don't know originated with him.

(I actually just wrote an article for SBC.com on this very topic that should be posted soon.)

#138076 09/28/04 06:42 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by capt._dallas:
[b]The minister of paranoia seems pretty anxious to overlook these minor infractions. It just makes me think that something a little more sinister is going on here than what we've been led to believe.
I'm not performing my ministerial duties, huh? Well, since SoM/Reboot won't be leader for much longer, I thought I'd slack off on the job. What's he going to do? Fire me! Heh, heh, heh. Lame duck Leader. laugh [/b]
Oh, I've got a much, much better idea... laugh

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#138077 09/28/04 07:00 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Reboot:
Oh, I've got a much, much better idea... laugh
Uh oh..., I don't like the sound of that. I thought my paranoia days would end with SoM/Reboot's term. frown

Excuse me while I hide in the closet and peek out for signs of danger.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Caliente, Fanfic Lady 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,974
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
AndrewNolan
AndrewNolan
Pennsylvania
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star