Roll Call
1 members (Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker), 16 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/26/24 08:40 PM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Sarcasm Kid - 04/26/24 08:12 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/26/24 08:03 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/26/24 08:00 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: THE TITANS 1-50: Grayson, Faerber & Peyer
MLLASH #847267 04/06/15 07:41 PM
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
Ah. Sorry.

MLLASH #847268 04/06/15 07:42 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
No worries.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
MLLASH #847269 04/06/15 07:54 PM
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
Actually, I don't know if you guys remember, but a couple of years ago I interviewed Devin Grayson and Rick Mays about their work with Arsenal and the Titans.

MLLASH #847271 04/06/15 08:12 PM
I remember. It was a good interview.

Fanfic Lady #917169 11/28/16 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
I liked issues 23 to 25 because it featured the Kingdom Come Teen Titans and actually gave them more dialog and personality then they had in the actual story, and the main villain was Dark Angel who is my all time favorite Titans villain and a sorely underused character.

Those three issues are the only ones of this run that I've read to date, and then mainly because Donna's my girl. I enjoyed them despite their flaws (I recall reading in the Wikipedia entry for Hypertime that Faerber's original plans for the story got watered down.) I might get the previous 21 issues, I'm not very familiar with Devin's other work, but I do love me some decent Titans stories.

So, I've managed over the past twenty months to add bargain-priced copies of most of the first 22 Titans issues.

I'll start with what I liked -- I absolutely *loved* Jay Faerber's opening 2-part arc (Titans #21-22), with the Titans initially protecting but ultimately fighting Cheshire, and Deathstroke crashing the party. Now THAT'S the way to do a Titans comic right!! And reading it also gave me a new perspective on the next arc, with Donna and the Kingdom Come Titans versus Dark Angel -- I enjoyed it for the first few reads, but compared to Faerber's awesome opening arc, it does pale quite a bit. I also found out in the interim (thank you, Glen Cadigan, for Titans Companion 2, which my favorite auntie gave me as a belated birthday present) that Faerber himself was not very happy with the end results.

As for the Grayson and Grayson/Faerber issues, and it pains me to report that if Gail Simone wasn't so full of herself, I'd probably say that Devin Grayson is an even more overrated writer than her.

Bucky's art was nice, but ultimately there's only so much a good artist can do with such listless, clumsy scripts. Dear Ladies & Lords, after reading Grayson's snail-paced, badly structured, and just plain dull Titans stories, I'm almost afraid to check out *any* of her Bat-Franchise work, even the early stuff that got such rave reviews.

I might get to her better Bat-works eventually, but I still need to put more distance between myself and those Titans issues. Gah.

Finally, I still haven't read any issues after 25, because I am aware that there was a change in editors. For all that can be said against Eddie Berganza, I feel he did do a bang-up job editing Peter David's entire run on Young Justice, and who knows what else he and Faerber could have done together on Titans in the long run? Andy Helfer, OTOH, never edited any DC book that I can honestly say I like. Staton/Englehart GLC? Sorry, no. JLI? Not my thing. And so on. I think firing Helfer was one of the few wise moves made by the post-Kahn DC executive board, and that it had been long overdue.

I also give Faerber a lot of credit for pulling his punches when talking about Helfer in Titans Companion 2. I hate it when editors are so effin' heavy-handed in the way they end up dictating the entire direction of the book to the actual writer!! And, really, what's Helfer actually written himself that was any good? The only reason I've kept my issues of his Deadman mini-series is because Garcia-Lopez drew it -- TBH, I can't recall for sure if I ever even got all the way through all four issues. So, well done, Jay, very classy. (Shameless plug: I think Faerber's relatively brief run on Generation X, with Terry & Rachel Dodson on art, was wonderful, even though it took a few reads to grow on me, and that his original series Dynamo 5 is also very underrated.)

MLLASH #921147 01/26/17 03:24 AM
Active
Active
Man, y'all are stirring up a bunch of mixed feelings. There were things I liked and disliked about Grayson's run, but more in the like category. I really enjoyed her Starfire, which felt very different but true to the character's essence. I REALLY liked the Grayson/Faerber co-written issues, which I felt was the peak of this run. And I rapidly lost interest after that. I'm glad to hear that the problems weren't Jay Faerber, since I have really enjoyed several other series from him.

Considering that we had been subjected to the torturous end of Wolfman's run followed by a stint in limbo for the Jurgens team, this was definitely the best the property had been in several years.

I'm still mad about the end of the Technis Imperative, though. Really, Dick? You assemble the founding members of the team to fight for Vic's soul, rather than the ones who knew him best? His reason for not bringing Changeling was dumb, but why on Earth would Roy or Garth be a better choice than Raven or Starfire?

MLLASH #994390 11/14/20 03:57 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
bump BUMP

Thoth and I briefly discussed this era in the Legion forum earlier today.

I was going to wait until I found my copy of Titans Companion Two, but first I had a look at this thread and was pleased to see how many great details it already has.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
MLLASH #994633 11/21/20 05:52 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks for bumping this one Fickles. I've never read the second Titans Companion and will need to add it to my list of things to watch out for. Not on the Twomorrows digital list, or I'd probably already have it.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
MLLASH #994637 11/21/20 07:10 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
You're welcome, Thoth. There's lots of good stuff in it.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Caliente, Fanfic Lady 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,954
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Non-Magnetic Kid
Non-Magnetic Kid
We're coming Vee!!!!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star