Roll Call
3 members (Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Sarcasm Kid, Sarcasm Kid, Eryk Davis Ester), 52 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/14/24 01:30 PM
Errors on Main Forum Page
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 01:28 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 01:24 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 01:24 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 01:23 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 01:21 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
TITANS new ongoing series: Should I or Shouldn't I?
#142154 04/08/08 09:42 PM
Jerry Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Titans # 1 is out tomorrow. Should I buy it? Who's in? Who's out?

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
Re: TITANS new ongoing series: Should I or Shouldn't I?
#142155 04/09/08 06:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'll take a peek at the store. Love the characters, the writing and art team not so much.

#142156 04/09/08 10:02 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
I'll take a peek at the store. Love the characters, the writing and art team not so much.
Same here. Also, it kind of smells of 'trying to go home again' and I'm not sure I can handle another failed attempt at that.

#142157 04/09/08 10:04 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
It's Winick, and he's not writing Barry Ween.

PASS.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#142158 04/09/08 11:29 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't hang out with my high school friends. They aren't bad people, I've got fond memories. But since high school, we've went on to other things and haven't really kept in touch.

Now if DC wanted to de-age the kids, that'd be one thing. But with them having been aged and grown, forcing them into those same roles just isn't right.

I want the title to work but won't be collecting it.

Just spouting off.
#142159 04/09/08 12:53 PM
Active
Active
Review of #1 . So far, looks awful.

#142160 04/09/08 09:14 PM
Jerry Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
I did it. I bought the first issue and read it. I'm not super impressed, but the review Jailbait Lass linked to is pretty harsh. Probably a bit harsher than the issue deserves. On the plus side, the bloodbath from the Titan's East special turns out not to be as severe as originally implied. Only one confirmed death. The return of Trigon seems legitimate enough. It's really about the only plausible reason I can think of for this particular lineup to get back together.

The artwork had its moments, but is not really a style I'm overly fond of. The script didn't have any real zing or magic. I might give it a couple more issues...

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#142161 04/10/08 06:51 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Jailbait Lass, that review was @#$$#% awesome! Thanks for the link.

If anything has Winick's name on it, I avoid it like the plague. I don't see any reason not avoid it this time.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#142162 04/15/08 10:39 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
I don't hang out with my high school friends. They aren't bad people, I've got fond memories. But since high school, we've went on to other things and haven't really kept in touch.

Now if DC wanted to de-age the kids, that'd be one thing. But with them having been aged and grown, forcing them into those same roles just isn't right.

I want the title to work but won't be collecting it.
I don't have a problem with the Titans being realy tight, after all, they, like the Legion, have fought world ending threats together, and buried friends together, it makes sense that they would still be a big part of eachothers lives.

However, I agree with you that I don't like seeing them in the same ROLES as they were. It always seem like the Titans degress to their W/P roles, not taking into the fact that Wally runs with the League now (and has kids), Roy is in the League now also, Dick is still single, Donna has probably been through more than any of them, etc. I never see the changes in these characters lives reflected in their relationships with one another.

For example, in Geoff John's Flash he has Wally talking about Dick, how they used to be really tight and now they don't talk as much, he says the reason "I got married, he didn't" To me that was pure gold, because when your life changes your relationships change also. I know that if any Titan called another they would be their in a heartbeat, but I would love to see the distance caused by changes in themselves to come in through the book and not just for them to revert to the Wolfman/Perez characters.

Long Live the Legion!
#142163 04/15/08 07:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I wasn't too impressed by it. It was competent but not great. Will be saving my 3bucks from this point on.

The point about regressing to the roles given by Wolfman Perez is well-taken.

However I demand that Linda West be portrayed as the character that breaks up the Titans. Later Wally gets shot by a crazy guy in Central Park. Dick marries some photographer and forms a new super-hero team (the Wingsmen or something) . Then years later Mrs Grayson dies of some disease and he marries some daffy animal rights activist and has a nasty divorce where she tries to take him for all of Bruce's billions.

Roy suffers for years with addiction and eventually joins a superhero team full of old guys who used to be teen superheroes.

#142164 04/16/08 06:47 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Meanwhile, Garth, though the weakest link in the original Titans line-up, actually goes on to enjoy the most stable post-Titans career, moonlighting as an actor and marrying a former Bond girl!

#142165 04/16/08 09:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Tamper Lad & EDE - ^^^ LOVE. IT. !!! lol lol

#142166 04/19/08 09:53 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Since I started actively participating in what comics I buy & read at the CBR, I have always bought every Titans title that has come out. Well, with this issue, I have now *not* bought my first Titans #1. And I don't intend to buy any single issue while Winnick writes this cast. Not unless I see everyone on Legion World raving about how good it is.

#142167 04/20/08 03:24 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
http://www.thexaxis.com/misc/titans1.htm

Fairly an evisceration of the book, of the fun-to-read sort.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#142168 04/20/08 04:13 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I read the reviews, then, in a moment of veal-like weakness, I bought it anyway.

I didn't hate it.

Ian Churchill's art is pretty neat, and a lot of the stuff I saw complained about in reviews was less complaint-worthy on the page, IMO.

There were some bone-headed plot elements (warning other people, like the 35 other Teen Titans that have at least as much connection to Trigon as Speedy?) and a bit of mischaracterization (I don't care what anyone says, Raven does not wear thong undies and bubblegum pink lip gloss...). Ian Churchill's gift from drawing nekkid men doesn't seem to extend to drawing nekkid women, 'cause he somehow managed to give us three pages of nekkid Koriand'r that made her look blobby and bulbous and invertebrate. Otherwise the art was pretty awesome, and I was kinda surprised by that, since the reviewers pretty much uniformly excoriated it.

On the other hand, it's Winnick, so I'm expecting Kory and Donna to be bumpin' it soon, and Speedy/Arsenal/Red-Douchebag-who-has-nothing-to-do-with-this-story-anyway to come down with a scorching case of the hiv. Only, space-hiv, from that Thanagarian stuff he's been dipping into.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#142169 04/20/08 07:41 PM
I read it just before I came over to Legion World.

Paul O'Brien's reviews at the X-Axis always brighten my Sunday nights.

My favorite part:

As I picked it up, I couldn't help thinking: Oh god, it's a DC book. It's bound to be some sort of hideous multi-part crossover mess. But then I stopped, and I reminded myself not to be so cynical. After all, it isn't labelled as a crossover. And even DC couldn't be so stupid as to launch a new series in mid-storyline.

So, after buying it and opening it up, what do I find on page 2?

"The Fickle Hand, part two."

Part two! Two! In issue #1!

And do you want to know the best bit? It doesn't even tell you where part one appeared. I had to Google it. Part one was in Titans East Special #1, which came out last November. You couldn't make it up. Shower of bloody amateurs.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#142170 04/20/08 09:33 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I paged through it inside the comic book store out of morbid curiousity and have had to wash my hands 8 times a days since to get the smell of hack writing off.

#142171 04/21/08 10:36 AM
Active
Active
Lol, good one.

You know, I still can't believe they opened it with "Part two." I mean, I understand that the Titans East Special was set-up, but Part Two, really (and I laugh at the people who paid $3.50 for this, you didn't get ANY extra story for the extra money, Winnick is just does not write that densely).

Long Live the Legion!
#142172 04/21/08 11:25 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I read it and tend to agree with all of you. I forgot what review I read for New Avengers but they basically stated that Bendis is a shock writer. They revolve a story around a shocking moment that usually isn't even really happening in the comic. Shock jocks of writers were listed as Bendis, Millar, Winick.

While I've enjoyed works by all three I have read some of their works that read like a What If...with characters acting/talking out of character.

#142173 05/04/08 08:36 PM
Active
Active
I don't think anybody has started this thread, but has anyone checked out this new series?

I only pick up my comics once a month, so I didn't even clue in that the Titans East special was a part 1 to the new Titans #1 series.

It seems really great to see the original Perez/Wolfman version of the team together, but I'm still reserving judgement. Raven as a high school student? I still don't quite understand her reincarnation as a teen. Anyone care to explain? Why is Beast Boy not called Changeling? I still don't get the reason for that name change.

The return of Trigon? This jury is still out.

#142174 05/07/08 06:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Had a few extra bucks...and really wish I hadn't.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

#142175 06/11/08 10:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
From here on in this is a SPOILERS thread!

I read issues 1 & 2 last night, and you can prepare your rotten tomatoes that have been recalled from all the fast food places, but... I liked 'em.

Power Boy was the only fatality from the previous Titans East special (that I did NOT buy).

I liked both Churchill and Benetiz' artwork, especially the equal opportunity T&A of # 1. I wonder if Caliente saw THAT pic of Wally...? Benitez' work on # 2 was different... I especially liked his Trigon.

The "Sons of Trigon" storyline has me on board... here's hoping Winnick can rectify past mistakes (like Lilith's untimely and STUPID demise).

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#142176 06/11/08 03:08 PM
Active
Active
Hm... liked the art in the first issue, didn't like the Benitez at all! Though Trigons portrayal was kind of funny, I don't think it is a great idea to try to return to old grandeur with old stories...

How often has Trigon returned from the dead??? Five times? Isn't this a little bit redundant?

Hope Benitez won't stay as a regular penciller. way to sketchy / manga for my taste.

My biggest hope for this series? Starfire and Nightwing finally getting together... never got over their spoilt wedding in the 90s...

#142177 06/15/08 03:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Your biggest hope got some mileage in #3-- but not in any ongoing sort of way.

This issue was good enough to keep me buying, even though several characters just aren't themselves (a possible explanation for this is included in the plot, however).

I find myself wandering what might've happened if some of the pairs ended up at alternate destinations? For example, would Donna and Flash have had an interlude between the stacks of cardboard boxes?

I agree that there's some spark missing from this cast being together that should be there. I'm hopeful, however.

#142178 08/08/08 01:03 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Power Boy was the only fatality from the previous Titans East special (that I did NOT buy).
And his hand seemed to be twitching after they got him off of the tree, so it looks like they're leaving that 'death' open as well. It's like a cliffhanger, only bad, instead of gripping.

Instead of, 'ooh, how will they get out of this!' we got, 'oh, they're all dead.' [flash forward six months] 'huh, they're not dead and there's no explanation for why?'

I liked both Churchill and Benetiz' artwork, especially the equal opportunity T&A of # 1.
I was a little disappointed that Churchill seemed to lavish such loving detail on the nekkid picture of Wally (and the clothed shots of Nightwing, which looked pretty 'the camera loves you, Biblically...' as well), and yet his pictures of nekkid Kory made her look blobby and grotesque.

I couldn't pick up issue two. The art was too much for me to take.

I'm an art snob. Yes, Muffy, there it is. Pour me another cognac, would you?

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Caliente, Fanfic Lady 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,274
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Lightning Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Impulse I
Impulse I
Nashville, TN
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star