Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/12/24 09:09 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
ZH members versus current members?
#17358 10/18/05 04:25 AM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Not a vote just wondering what you guys think. And I don't mean a battle but in terms of which ones you like most.

Cosmic Boy ZH vs. WaK Comsic Boy?

For me it's still to early to tell. Rokk isn't much different. This one may be a bit more annoying but atleast he isn't boring.

Livewire ZH vs. WaK Lightning Lad.

The WaK version all the way. I didn't care for the ZH Livewire much. Too immature...annoying, etc.

Saturn Girl ZH vs. WaK Saturn Girl.

The ZH Saturn Girl. This one hasn't done much for me yet. Though I like how she only speaks using telepathy.

Sparks ZH vs. Light Lass. tough call. I'm a fan of both. I like the costume on the WaK version...and her sassyness. But I like her better with lightning powers and Sparx was cool. Too early to call.

Dream Girl ZH vs. WaK Dream Girl. So far the WaK. The last version had a sweet costume towards the end but I like the WaK version much more. Favorite Dreamy since Levitz.

Star Boy ZH vs. WaK Star Boy.
Again too early to tell. I like both...but can't decide yet.

Ultra Boy ZH vs. Ultra Boy. Tell the truth neither did much for me...and Jo is my favorite Legionnaire! Give me the Levitz or v4 version. Right now I will go with the ZH. This guy so far seems like a poser.

Phantom Girl ZH vs. WaK Phantom Girl. ZH version. The costume (just the insignia) and origin on the WaK don't do much for me.

Leviathan ZH vs. WaK Colossal Boy. Not a big fan of either. Though I did like the name and costumes on Leviathan didn't care for him much. The WaK version wins here but he's very one dimensional thus far. But he's costume pretty good and he's getting good air time thus far. My Gim is long gone. frown

Cham ZH vs. WaK Cham. Again...neither. Both were air headed aliens. I would pick the ZH version cause his look was more like classic Cham. My Cham is the Sherlock Holmes of the Legion...not the pet.

Sensor ZH vs. Princess Projectra WaK. Not even close. I hated the snake. But the half snake wasn't so bad. Still WaK all the way. Super cool costume and look.

Sun Boy/Inferno ZH vs. Sun Boy WaK. Not even close...the WaK version rocks!!!

Brainy ZH vs. WaK Brainy. Not even close. Waid's Brainy rocks. The last one was too cute for me.

Invisible Kid ZH vs. WaK Invisible Kid. The ZH version was cooler IMO. This one? His jacket is too big. He's to young, short...I don't know. I don't dig him yet.

Karate Kid ZH vs. WaK Karate Kid. Tough one. I like them both. Too early to call yet.

Element Lad ZH vs. WaK Element Lad. I like the WaK version so far. Needs some help on the colors of his costume...but I didn't care for the ZH version.

Triad ZH vs. WaK Tripilicate Girl. Tough one. WaK version has a super cool origin. But Triad IMO is the coolest of ZH codenames...and she really was a cornerstone of the team. Lu never did much for me before until ZH. I go with ZH version.

Umbra ZH vs. WaK Shadow Lass. I'm one of the few that liked the codename Umbra. smile Yet I really like this one. Liked the ZH's aggressiveness...but this is kicks tail also. Too early to call.

So my scorecard?

ZH - 6 (Saturn Girl, Ultra Boy, Phantom Girl, Cham, Invisible Kid, Triad)

WaK - 7 (Lightning Lad, Dream Girl, Element Lad, Princess Projectra, Colossal Boy, Brainy, Sun Boy)

Undecided - 5 (Cos, Light Lass/Sparx, Star Boy, Karate Kid, Umbra)

How about you guys?

Re: ZH members versus current members?
#17359 10/18/05 05:23 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Jorg-EM:
Not a vote just wondering what you guys think. And I don't mean a battle but in terms of which ones you like most.
Cosmic Boy ZH vs. WaK Cosmic Boy?

Zero-Hour Cos... Until the new one sorts himself and his team out a little.

Tough call. Livewire really grew for me. I think I like the heroes with a streak of immaturity as then we can really see the character grow and progress. So it's prolly the ZH version for me so far...

ZH Saturn Girl. Even though she was a shameless hussy. wink

Sparks ZH vs. Light Lass.

I never liked Sparks. Light Lass leads the way already.

Dream Girl ZH vs. WaK Dream Girl.

If it's the ditzy space case of her first ZH appearance, then the WaK Dream Girl, but if it's the Khund-sharpened Dreamer of the DnA run, then definately ZH.

Don't get me started. (Stormy: You mean there's a Black Stormy somewhere?)

Ultra Boy ZH vs. Ultra Boy.

They seem similar to me so far. I liked the gang-banger past rather than the unfocused tough-guy persona.

Phantom Girl ZH vs. WaK Phantom Girl.

WaK version, owing mostly to the trippy origin/casting of Bgztl. But I don't think much of her anyway.

Leviathan ZH vs. WaK Colossal Boy.

Never liked ZH Gim, but this one has yet to annoy me, and is even vaguely interesting. So WaK version so far.

Cham ZH vs. WaK Cham.

I liked it when Cham was pretending he couldn't speak Interlac. wink

Sensor ZH vs. Princess Projectra WaK.

I didn't even read stuff with the original Projectra, and even I knew Sneckie was a worrying idea. She kinda grew on me, but I'd have preferred to see her introed as a character in her own right (a la Gates) rather than the new Jeckie. So WaK version so far, tho she better get some powers soon...

Sun Boy/Inferno ZH vs. Sun Boy WaK.

WaK version all the way.

Brainy ZH vs. WaK Brainy.

Hard to say. I like them both. Didn't like the 5.1 version that much.

Invisible Kid ZH vs. WaK Invisible Kid.

Don't get me started Part 2.

Karate Kid ZH vs. WaK Karate Kid.

Both were cool. Very cool. Let's put them in a cage match and I'll go with the winner.

Element Lad ZH vs. WaK Element Lad.

WaK version, though I'm unenthused about the ramifications of the new crimp on his powers.

Triad ZH vs. WaK Triplicate Girl.

WaK version, tho I'd like to see more of her personality.

Umbra ZH vs. WaK Shadow Lass.

Haven't seen enough of the new one, and liked the kick-ass ZH version.

Originally posted by Jorg-EM:
So my scorecard?
ZH - 6 (Saturn Girl, Ultra Boy, Phantom Girl, Cham, Invisible Kid, Triad)
WaK - 7 (Lightning Lad, Dream Girl, Element Lad, Princess Projectra, Colossal Boy, Brainy, Sun Boy)
Undecided - 5 (Cos, Light Lass/Sparx, Star Boy, Karate Kid, Umbra)
How about you guys?
ZH - 6 (Cosmic Boy, Livewire, Saturn Girl, Star Boy, Invisible Kid and Umbra)
WaK - 7 (Light Lass, Phantom Girl, Colossal Boy, Princess Projectra, Sun Boy, Element Lad and Triplicate Girl)
Undecided - 5 (Dreamer/Dream Girl, Ultra Boy, Chameleon, Brainiac 5 and Karate Kid)

So I got the same results, but with different characters. But I have to say that a big part of the old Legion was characters like Xs and Gates. I'd love to see WaK versions of them!

Wayne@OZ
#17360 10/18/05 07:05 AM
Deputy
Deputy
ZH Cosmic Boy vs. WaK Cosmic Boy?

Meh, don't like either of them, but at least WaK Cos has a personality. So, WaK Cos.

ZH Live Wire vs. WaK Lightning Lad.

WaK LL looks good on the surface but so far he's pretty much a blank slate. Live Wire was always bursting with personality. So, ZH Live Wire.

ZH Saturn Girl vs. WaK Saturn Girl.

ZH Saturn Girl was a nightmare. The jury is still out ont WaK SG, but she couldn't possibly be worse than her predecessor. Or could she?? Undecided.

ZH Spark vs. WaK Light Lass.

Spark never really grew on me, but the new one is a cutie. So, WaK Light Lass.

ZH Dreamer vs. WaK Dream Girl.

Tough one. WaK Dream Girl is (was?) wonderful, but DnA Dreamer was my favorite version of the character ever. So, ZH Dreamer.

ZH Star Boy vs. WaK Star Boy.

Always loved Star Boy in every incarnation, including the new WaK SB. Too early to tell. Undecided.

ZH Ultra Boy vs. Ultra Boy.

They seem pretty much the same to me. Undecided.

ZH Apparition vs. WaK Phantom Girl.

I couldn't abide Apparition, particularly towards the end. WaK PG is pretty much a blank slate but, in her favor, I love her costume and she's not drooling over Jo. So, WaK Phantom Girl.

ZH Leviathan vs. WaK Colossal Boy.

No contest. WaK Colossal Boy is ny favorite version of the character ever.

ZH Cham ZH vs. WaK Cham.

I haven't warmed up to the WaK Cham yet. Loved ZH Cham, so I have to go with him.

ZH Sensor vs. Princess Projectra WaK.

I consider them completely different characters (like Dawnstar and Shikari, but even more so). Comparison not applicable.

ZH Sun Boy/Inferno vs. Sun Boy WaK.

Huh? There was an an abominable SW6 Sun Boy/Inferno, but never a ZH version of the Legionnaire - unless you count the civilian Dirk Morgna who appeared in a few early issues, then disappeared without ever becoming a member of the team. Comparison not applicable.

ZH Brainy vs. WaK Brainy.

Tough one, but I have to go with ZH Brainy, especially as characterized by DnA. So, ZH Brainy.

ZH Invisible Kid vs. WaK Invisible Kid.

I have nothing against ZH Lyle, but WaK Lyle is the first version of the character I ever connected with. So, WaK Invisible Kid.

ZH Karate Kid vs. WaK Karate Kid.

Couldn't stand *any* version of Karate Kid until WaK. So, WaK Karate Kid.

ZH Element Lad vs. WaK Element Lad.

I figure if I wait long enough, the REAL Element Lad will reappear some day. Neither ZH nor WaK are it. Count me disappointed and undecided.

Triad vs. WaK Triplicate Girl.

WaK Triplicate Girl has not endeared herself to me. I'm going with ZH Triad.

Umbra vs. WaK Shadow Lass.

WaK Shady is great, but Umbra is still my favorite version of Tasmia. So, ZH Umbra.

The final scorecard is pretty evenly split:

ZH versions (6)
(Live Wire, Dreamer, Chameleon, Brainy, Triad and Umbra)

WaK versions (6)
(Cosmic Boy, Light Lass, Phantom Girl, Colossal Boy, Invisible Kid, Karate Kid)

Undecided (4)
(Saturn Girl, Ultra Boy, Star Boy, Element Lad)

Comparisons Not Applicable (2)
(ZH Dirk Morgna vs. WaK Sun Boy, Sensor vs. WaK Projectra)

#17361 10/18/05 07:52 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Cosmic Boy ZH vs. WaK Cosmic Boy

ZH Cos was more the charismatic and friendly leader type. Wak Cos is more the take-charge and somewhat distant type. WaK Cos is very interesting, but personally I prefer the ZH Cos' personality.

Live Wire ZH vs. WaK Lightning Lad.

ZH Garth all the way. WaK Garth is cool, but ZH garth I could relate to. Loved the immature streak and the slow grwoth of the character. Had great moments in Lost.

ZH Imra so far. Again, love the WaK Imra, but the ZH Imra had a lot of great moments. She was way complex and interesting.

Spark ZH vs. Light Lass.

Spark was okay, but Light Lass had me as a fan from the issue they went to Colu. WaK wins here.

Dreamer ZH vs. WaK Dream Girl.

Love the WaK version's quirkiness. Dreamer was a great character, focused and competent, but WaK Nura stands out more. I'm hoping for the best.

Hard to decide. Both have somewhat similar personalities so far. ZH Thom only grew on me after Worlds. Current Star Boy's already growing on me. Since it took me less time to like him, WaK Star Boy wins.

ZH Jo all the way. This one's acted like a jerk too many times. ZH Jo at least had some intelligent moments.

Apparition ZH vs. WaK Phantom Girl.

ZH Tinya. WaK Tinya seems nice, but haven't seen enpugh of her yet. Loved ZH Tinya's relationship w/ Winema, her independent and sometimes saracstic streak and LOVED her look.

Hard to tell. Leviathan had more personality but WaK Colossal Boy's more likable. Didn't really like ZH Gim much, but he's been more memorable so far... Leave this one undecided.

Cham ZH vs. WaK Cham.
ZH Cham. Jorg, I don't think he was air-headed at all. His part in the Chu sting, and his role in Damned were great.

Projectra's definitely the better character. I know many consider them separate characters, but I personally consider them the same. WaK version all the way.

Yeah, ZH Dirk has a major handicap here. But let's remember that he was given some characterization, especially around the time the team fought Regulus, and based on what I;ve seen of their personalities WaK Dirk wins.

ZH Brainy. He's been around longer and I think he was more complex.

ZH Lyle. While I like WaK Lyle, ZH Lyle was a tremendous character.

Jury's out on this one. Both are cool but I haven't made up my mind yet which one I like. WaK Val seems a bit more human, though, so I'll tentatively give it to him.

WaK Element Lad's more fun. But ZH Jan was weird in an endearing way. Close call, but ZH Jan wins.

ZH Triad all the way. She wins on personality alone. Add her role on the team, and we've got a clear winner.

I love both, but Umbra grew on me more. I loved her in Lost.

Tally: ZH = 13 = Cosmic Boy, Live Wire, Saturn Girl, Triad, Apparition, Invisible Kid, Triad, Chameleon, Brainiac 5, Element Lad, Umbra, Ultra Boy, Leviathan

WaK= 5 = Dream Girl, Star Boy, Light Lass, Projectra, Sun Boy

#17362 10/18/05 09:56 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Cosmic Boy ZH vs. WaK Cosmic Boy

ZH Cos.

Live Wire ZH vs. WaK Lightning Lad.

WaK Garth, actually. He reminds me of the heroic preboot Garth, instead of the SW6/Reboot post-Proty revelation Garth, who kind of annoyed me.

ZH Imra

Spark ZH vs. Light Lass.

I actually like Light Lass right now too.

Dreamer ZH vs. WaK Dream Girl.

WaK Dream Girl, even though DnA did some cool stuff with Nura after she was shafted postboot.

ZH Star Boy. He was one of my ZH favorites for a character I never had much feeling about preboot. So far, he seems hesitant and needs to come into his own.

ZH Jo all the way. TMK Jo is probably my favorite version, but postboot/pre-DnA Jo was great too. Jo is one of my favorites and needs to be done right for me to *really* ever love the Legion 100%. He hasn’t been done right since TMK.

Apparition ZH vs. WaK Phantom Girl.

ZH Tinya. WaK just hasn’t done enough with her to remind me why she’s my favorite DC heroine.

WaK Colossal Boy, even though I loved ZH Leviathan. But I like this new version, and find him the most likeable the character has ever been.

Cham ZH vs. WaK Cham.
ZH Cham, although, to be honest, Cham has not been the same since the preboot, when he really kicked ass.

Princess Projectra. Sensor-snake outright sucked and is probably the single worst thing of the reboot IMO. Welcome back Jeckie.

WaK Sun Boy, considering the postboot writers left this longtime LSH character all but abandoned and in limbo. Welcome back Dirk.

This is probably the toughest one to call, since I like both. But probably the ZH Brainy, b/c he had more chance to be fleshed out. The real test will be when I answer this question in five years.

ZH Lyle. WaK Lyle is annoying so far (the most annoying one IMO), and ZH Lyle made the character totally awesome and one of my favorites. ZH/Post-boot Lyle is the best version ever of the character.

I like the WaK Karate Kid a lot so far, especially after last issue. But the ZH/Postboot one was pretty kick-ass too, and I liked him, although I hated how we didn’t see much of him for so long. Once again, however, neither compares to the traditional Val, so we’ll have to see if they can ever develop WaK Karate Kid into something as special as preboot Karate Kid.

WaK Element Lad. ZH Element Lad started great but became incredibly annoying, and then, of course, the Progenitor. While a good story and good twist, it sucked for the character.

ZH Triad, like Lyle, was a shining light of the reboot. However, I like Triplicate Girl so far. Too tough to decide this soon in.

I liked ZH Umbra, but I loved preboot Shadow Lass too much to ever truly love her. I really like this Shadow Lass right now though too, so this is another hard one. Probably WaK Shadow Lass over ZH Umbra, but like many others, traditional Shady still wins and I can’t decide without mentioning that.

Er, not sure if I can tally this right, since its hard for me to compare these two without mentioning the preboot so often.

#17363 10/18/05 12:10 PM
Deputy
Deputy
To be honest, I'm not sure there's been enough character development for me to make a good assessment of whether or not I like one better. Reboot Legion had close to 10 years of continuity and character development, WaK has had less than a year of mostly plot-driven issues.

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#17364 10/18/05 03:49 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Juan, I don't think he was air-headed at all.
That was Jorg-em's comment, not mine. He and I are sharing avatars right now. And I agree with you, I don't think ZH Cham was air-headed at all.

Juan

#17365 10/18/05 03:54 PM
Leader
Leader

I guess I'd go with ZH Cos. Not that I liked him all that much but the new Cos is a prick.

ZH pre Jarth. We don't really know much about the new one yet except that he's once again coupled with SG (yawn) and his new costume's really ugly imho.

WaK Saturn Girl. I like how she only speaks using telepathy. I also like that she's wearing red again. Pink is too wimpy for this ballbuster.

Spark ZH vs. Light Lass.

tough call. I'm a fan of both. I like the costume on the WaK version but there are too many arrows. The ones on her back should go. Maybe on the gloves too. I think I'd go with Spark. We need more girls with umph.

ZH post Khund training. Hated the ditz at the beginning of the run. Loved the Khund warrior. The new one's dead and Dreamy's one of my faves so I can hardly vote for her as a corpse.

ZH Star Boy. I liked how he always seemed to be in trouble. The new one seems to have the same quality but I haven't warmed up to him yet.

I don't care for either of them really. Too much raging testosterone in both of them.

ZH version. The new origin sucks. Not that the identical cousins or the half Carggite thing were much better though . . .

WaK. He's alive. He's not called Leviathan anymore (thank God) and he makes fun of the little people which cracks me up.

Cham ZH vs. WaK Cham.

Again...neither. Both were air headed aliens. I would pick the ZH version cause his look was more like classic Cham. My Cham is the Sherlock Holmes of the Legion...not the pet. I agree completely

Not even close. I hated the snake. But the half snake wasn't so bad. Still WaK all the way. Super cool costume and look. I agree completely. Plus her star cruiser made her look fat. Laughed my ass off at that one.

Not even close...the WaK version rocks!!! I agree completely.

ZH. The new one is too sinister and manipulative for me.

The ZH version was cooler IMO. This one? His jacket is too big. He's to young, short...I don't know. I don't dig him yet. I agree completely.

WaK. He's too cool for school.

WaK. Hated the space flake ZH version and the Metamorpho like powers. Like the new limitations. Costume colors suck though.

Triad ZH vs. WaK Tripilicate Girl.

ZH Triad. I hate the new origin. I do like that she wears the same costume and has the same eye color now though. I just wish they'd color it purple (as I assume it should be) instead of black.

Umbra. Didn't like the name but I loved the attitude and the power up.

I guess that gives me 11 Z's, 6 W's and 1 neither.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#17366 10/18/05 04:58 PM
Deputy
Deputy
ZH Cosmic Boy vs. WaK Cosmic Boy?

ZH Cos. I really liked the Chu stunt.

ZH Live Wire vs. WaK Lightning Lad.

WaK LL. I hated Jarth vehemently, and really like the new LL's costume. Not much to go on otherwise...

ZH Saturn Girl vs. WaK Saturn Girl.

ZH Saturn Girl, just because I haven't seen much of the new one. I really liked the conflicted Imra of ZH

ZH Spark vs. WaK Light Lass.

I'm going to go with WaK Light Lass, but this is not a character I like very much. My favorite version of the character is Levitz's Lightning Lass from the LSV saga.

ZH Dreamer vs. WaK Dream Girl.

ZH Dreamer. Days passed before I could get that image of Dreamer sitting on the bed unable to sleep out of my mind. Creepy, but great.

ZH Star Boy vs. WaK Star Boy.

I'm going to go with WaK on this one. I just like the guy, and hope we see more of him

ZH Ultra Boy vs. Ultra Boy.

ZH, because I dislike the loud, uncontrolled WaK UB (the ZH one was only marginally better, though). But I miss the smart, worldly Jo from the TMK era.

ZH Apparition vs. WaK Phantom Girl.

WaK here, too. Love the new costume. Hated the Carggite origin. However, I don't like this new half-here half-there business (they must think she's insane on Bgztl!). Tinya is just not made to be ditzy.

ZH Leviathan vs. WaK Colossal Boy.

Yeah, WaK here, too. He makes me laugh. Can't wait to learn more about him.

ZH Cham ZH vs. WaK Cham.

WaK. He might become our resident Sherlock Holmes yet. And I actually like the LACK of antennae. Makes him look more otherworldly, less like a cute token alien

ZH Sensor vs. Princess Projectra WaK.

Oh, WaK, no contest! Hated the snake, although the terraformed version wasn't that bad. But the new Projectra is awesome.

ZH Sun Boy/Inferno vs. Sun Boy WaK.

WaK. He's in the Legion. Big improvement!

ZH Brainy vs. WaK Brainy.

WaK again. I think Waid just gets Brainy.

ZH Invisible Kid vs. WaK Invisible Kid.

ZH here. I don't know, I just haven't warmed to this new young Lyle yet.

ZH Karate Kid vs. WaK Karate Kid.

I think I actually prefer the ZH KK to this one. Quiet but wise. This one is less quiet, and I haven't seen much wisdom, either

ZH Element Lad vs. WaK Element Lad.

WaK. Anything is better than the Progenitor (although I must say I enjoyed that story). I want to see more of him, and I hope he gets a bit more 'down-to-earth'

Triad vs. WaK Triplicate Girl.

Tough call. Still, I'll go with WaK's Triplicate Girl on this one, I really like the new origin. And I like the fact that, in cases of extreme necessity, she could conceivably become "Myriad", one of the more powerful Legionnaires.

Umbra vs. WaK Shadow Lass.

ZH Umbra, by far. Loved her retro look and her no nonsense attitude. But I still have high hopes for the new Shady.

Final Scorecard: 7 ZH vs. 11 WaK

ZH: Cos, Saturn Girl, Dreamer, Invisible Kid, Karate Kid, Ultra Boy, Umbra

WaK: Lightning Lad, Light Lass, Star Boy, Phantom Girl, Colossal Boy, Chameleon, Projectra, Sun Boy, Brainy, Element Lad, Triplicate Girl

[/QB][/QUOTE]

#17367 10/18/05 08:28 PM
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
Some revisions.

ZH Karate Kid was cooler. He was wiser. Plus we saw him kick butt. This one was taken down by precog commandos.

Juan, you are right Cham can one day be the detective of the team. And the missing antennae don't bother me as much as the missing eyebrows. wink ZH wasn't an airhead but he still played alien that had a hard time understanding human culture. The Cham I know would teach legionnaire's about human culture. wink

#17368 10/22/05 07:18 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
originally posted by Juan:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Juan, I don't think he was air-headed at all.
QUOTE]That was Jorg-em's comment, not mine. He and I are sharing avatars right now. And I agree with you, I don't think ZH Cham was air-headed at all.

Juan

Oops. shocked Really sorry, Juan.

Point taken, Jorg, that preZH Cham was way more knowledgeable. But ZH Cham only played the "alien" card at the start of the 'boot. I think he was pretty savvy later on.

#17369 10/22/05 11:16 PM
S
Active
Active
S
I stopped reading the Legion slightly before the Peyer/McCraw/Stern team departed, and didn't start again until about #7 of the DnA run. So keep that in mind. Also, my opinions are based mostly on the Waid/Peyer/McCraw/Stern characters. Quite frankly, I thought DnA ignored most of the characters, and mishandled the ones they didn't ignore.

ZH Cosmic Boy was annoying, but at least he was fairly well-intentioned. For a while WaK Cosmic Boy seemed intent on betraying the very principles upon which "his team" was founded. He hasn't quite earned my loyalty back. ZH Cosmic Boy.

The ZH version was an immature child. I don't know what Imra saw in him. WaK Lightning Lad.

So far we've seen very little of WaK Saturn Girl, but I'll vote for her anyway, since ZH Saturn Girl was often perilously close to a villain.

Spark ZH vs. Light Lass.

I loved Spark, but the WaK Light Lass seems to preserve many of her good qualities. I'll go for Spark with the caveat that Light Lass might become my favorite, if we get to see more of her.

WaK Dream Girl, no question. I remember some heated debates about whether the ZH Dream Girl was really as stupid as she acted.

The ZH Star Boy had very little personality to speak of. WaK Star Boy.

ZH Ultra Boy. Mark has been writing Ultra Boy as an extremely shallow character, obsessed with sex, fighting and creature comforts. The ZH version was more of a diamond-in-the-rough. I'm not going to take into account the horrible quasi-deadbeat dad that DnA turned him into.

With great reluctance, I vote for the WaK version. At the beginning of the first postboot, Phantom Girl was hands down the best character in the series. I was thrilled when her romance with Jo finally took off, and devastated when she was killed needlessly. However, when she came back she was never the same again... she turned into a shrewish, jealous, clingy rhymes-with-witch.

We haven't seen much of WaK's version of the character, but she seems to have her head on her shoulders, and it doesn't hurt that she's the most attractive female Legionnaire.

Micro Lad. ZH Leviathan was an overbearing jerk. Perhaps Micro Lad is too, but he has a cooler power. smile

Cham ZH vs. WaK Cham.

WaK version. The ZH Chameleon started out with little personality, since he had no dialogue that the reader could understand, and ended up as a fairly generic character. The WaK Chameleon is appropriately weird and seems to have some serious complexity.

As far as I'm concerned, these are not even the same character. Sensor is so different from all other Projectras as to constitute an entirely new character.

I'll vote for the WaK Projectra, although I don't like either character very much.

WaK Sun Boy. I agree that this isn't close. The ZH Sun Boy could have been interesting but was never given enough exposure.

I thought I was a fan of the ZH Legion, but here I've voted for five WaK Legionnaires in a row.

WaK Brainy, obviously. The ZH Brainiac 5 was never a very interesting character. On occasion he seemed to reveal unplumbed depths, but those occasions were very rare.

Perhaps the toughest choice. The WaK Invisible Kid is the most important character in the series. I think that the fate of the universe may depend on the choices he makes. The story that focused on him (#4) was probably my favorite so far.

And yet, the ZH Invisible Kid was probably the best and most interesting character in his Legion (besides Tinya). I think he wins this debate, but by a slim margin.

WaK Karate Kid. The ZH Karate Kid was a generic monk/martial artist character. The new one seems more complex.

WaK Element Lad. He likes being naked, and that's enough for me. laugh I can't remember much about the ZH Element Lad... well, except that he turned into a cosmic supervillain and was killed by a former teammate, but that happened after I dropped the series.

Triad ZH vs. WaK Tripilicate Girl.

Triad. I preferred it when she had three independent personalities. I don't trust Triplicate Girl.

Oh, boy, is this an easy choice. The WaK Shadow Lass is a dark, passionate warrior, like the classic versions of the character. Umbra was just horrible. A standoffish, rude personality does not an attractive character make.

Total: WaK 13, ZH 5

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,256
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star