Roll Call
0 members (), 40 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 71 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 70 71
Re: Welcome to Legion World. Introduce yourself, why don't ya!
#174896 10/12/03 08:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
nice to make your acquaintance, carol ...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#174897 10/12/03 08:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Yeah, of course you pass.

#174898 10/12/03 08:39 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hi Carol, there is no pass/fail grade here. All that;s required for admission is a love for the Legion! Nice to meet you!

Vee

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#174899 10/13/03 09:48 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Hello Guys... my turn.

Name/Stats: Ted, 38 yrs old, Tampa, Fl

First started reading the Legion with Superboy and the Legion # 201. Thats why I love Infectious Lass. Favorite period would be the Cockrum/Grell issues. All I can say is thank god I had an older brother that had a roommate skip out on him, leaving all his Adventure Comics (which I got).

Favorites would be: Shadow Lass, Phantom Girl, Projectra, Infectious Lass, Element Lad, Invisible Kid

Other interests: Star Trek, Space 1999, Man from Atlantis, Action Figures.

Been reading some of the fan fic on here and want to try my own. Using the lesser used characters.

#174900 10/14/03 08:14 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
Welcome to you all! Hope you like it here at LW. smile

#174901 10/17/03 01:30 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Late as usual (see the description of the faraway power in that thread) lol but this is me.

Who Am I Thread?
Name Darden Coulthard

Occupation Civil Servant, Working in ACAS attempting to conciliate in Industrial Tribunal hearings

Where do you live a new town some 10 miles north of Newcastle upon Tyne in England (just)

Legion info I remember reading the Legion as a kid of around 7,8 9 something like that. Living in the frozen north it was very difficult to get copies of the legion on a regular basis but they were always my favourites. As I got older and “grew up” I left the legion behind. Then some ten years ago now I saw a Tales of the Legion comic on a second hand book stall in a market. I bought it for nostalgias sake and enjoyed reading about these childhood friends. So the next week I went back to find out what happened next. It was a fatal mistake. I was hooked again. It took me a long time to realise what was going on and to find out that the legion was still being published and to find a shop that had the new issues. But since then I have been a regular. I am getting close to my aim of having copies of every legion comic from 247 just a few more old adventures and odds and sods to get.

In terms of favourites I have to say I loved the Adventure era run. The storytelling the art and the general wildness of the stories still have a charm that is unique. Levitz and Giffen around the time of the GDS are good reads. And I do like the stories of DanA. Perhaps controversially I liked the “archie” legion artwork and think the Moy versions of the characters are amongst the best looking ever. Shame about some of the stories though.

Favourite characters are Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy, with honourable mentions to Superboy, Gates, and B5

In terms of other interests I have to admit to a love of History and if I am not reading the legion I am often found with my head in a history book. Although I like all periods my favourites are the 17th (English Civil War) and 18th (The Enlightenment). And that’s about it, what with work, two teenage kids the legion and real life I don’t have much time to be a huge fan of any other genre.

Faithfull
#174902 10/17/03 12:39 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Far, I'm a history buff too! I plan on getting my doctorate in history, mainly in Roman history and Medieval European. But there are plenty of other time periods that I'm really interested in! These include Byzantine, Medieval and Imperial Russia, and Late Middle Ages in Europe. One aspect of history I like is the Habsburg Empire centered in Austria, especially during the 17th and 18th century. Really, all history, especially European and Asian, are a big hobby of mine!

#174903 10/17/03 12:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Cobie,

I managed to get my Masters in 2001 with a thesis on the policing of industrial disputes in the late 19th century. But I just dont have the time or money to go any further. frown

Still I do enjoy a good session in the Archives (just for fun you realise) So if you want a hand in the work for the history of the LMB let me know

Faithfull
#174904 10/17/03 12:48 PM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Wow three history lovers (counting myself) Who also like a series about the future. wink

Cobalt Kid, I also noticed you seem to be a They Might Be Giants Fan too.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#174905 10/17/03 01:49 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I also like history, but for me it's just a hobby. I wish I had more time to devote to it (at the moment I'm interested in Japanese history...)

Juan

#174906 10/17/03 02:44 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Make that five. I minored in History (majored in International Relations). Favorite eras include Ancient Greece, Medieval, Renaissance, US History from Colonial Period through Reconstruction, plus an area which has had very little attention given it: Latin America from colonialization to modern day.

#174907 10/17/03 02:56 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Guys, that's awesome that we all like history. I'm currently in grad school going for my masters at Trinity college in Hartford, Ct., and I hope to go for Ph. D soon after. Like you Far, I don't know if I'll be able to have the time or money to keep a steady pace though.

Juan, I've never had the chance to get into Japanese history yet, but I certainly plan to. Ancient and Medieval Chinese have always facinated me, especially the Mongol period, and I hope to extend to Japan.

Vee, as I said, I love the Medieval period, and I have a special love for Ancient Greece. The tale of the 300 Spartans is by far one of my favorite periods of history, and one of my favorite historical stories. Latin America is definately a area of history that deserves study, I'm glad to see your interested in it! Likewise, I've become very interested in Byzantine history, Medieval Middle East and the Balkans, all other areas that haven't had the enormous amount of previous research that some have.

Quis, I'm glad you like history too! I like They Might be Giants a lot, and am only starting to get into them. The song "Istanbul not Constantinople" is what really did it for me, it's one of the catchiest songs I've heard. In the last two years, I've gone through a phase where I've started listening to more underground type bands that have come out in the last decade (as opposed to earlier decades) including Flogging Molly, which you may be familiar with from Boston (an Irish punk band). I love many different genres of music, especially stuff like these two bands.

#174908 10/17/03 03:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
You can add a sixth to that list. While my formal education has been more technologicly oriented. I have always been facinated by history. In particular, the classic Greek and Roman myths and legonds.

Although, I do have a certain fondness for Harry Turtledove's versions of history.

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#174909 10/17/03 04:12 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Chuck, that's great! As I said, I have a fondness for those eras too!

Roman History is my main focal point in my studies, and what I hope to teach if and when I become a professor!

#174910 10/17/03 05:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Let me know when you start teaching. Storrs is only about 45 min away. I could audit the course and sit in the back describing the content for legion world. lol lol

Just imagine that! laugh laugh

Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...
#174911 10/17/03 05:39 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Wow, I didn't know you were that close! Pov lives about five minutes from Storrs (or actually in it)! We're all right near each other!

If I teach, you guys should definately audit! We'll all get laptops and go online at Legion World and write tag threads smile

#174912 10/17/03 05:41 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Chuck, I just read that you're from Westerly Rhode Island! I love Westerly!

I go ever summer to Misquamicut Beach at least for two weeks! It's always one of the highlights of my summer. Great place!

#174913 10/17/03 05:42 PM
Active
Active
#7 right here. I've been teaching history to junior high and high school students for five years now.

Cobalt Kid, that's awesome that you get to teach it. Nothing like talking about your favorite things to a captive audience!

I teach at a small Christian school so I pretty much cover all of the history-related classes (World, U.S., Geography, Government). While it's loads o'fun, I sometimes feel like a Jack of all Trades and Master of None. frown I enjoy studying the Roman Empire, Byzantines, Mongols, Church History, French Revolution/Napoleon, and 20th Century. Japanese history sounds intriguing, Juan, and one of these days I may spend some time reading up on it.

#174914 10/18/03 03:01 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
#7 right here. I've been teaching history to junior high and high school students for five years now.

Cobalt Kid, that's awesome that you get to teach it. Nothing like talking about your favorite things to a captive audience!

I teach at a small Christian school so I pretty much cover all of the history-related classes (World, U.S., Geography, Government). While it's loads o'fun, I sometimes feel like a Jack of all Trades and Master of None. frown I enjoy studying the Roman Empire, Byzantines, Mongols, Church History, French Revolution/Napoleon, and 20th Century. Japanese history sounds intriguing, Juan, and one of these days I may spend some time reading up on it.
SLK: I taught at a catholic high school for a few years after college and taught US 1 & 2 as well as a World Issues course (as well as all the Spanish courses) I developed that World Issues course as a junior & senior elective course which dealt with a distinct hot button issue each quarter. Turned out to be the most popular course in the school, which was really great! There's no better feeling than teaching a course to a group of student that really want to be there and participate.

#174915 10/18/03 11:17 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
SLK, that's great, it's good to see another history buff here! It's pretty cool that you and Vee have had the chance to teach history before! I had the experience to be a teaching assistant at UCONN (as an undergrad, a pretty prestigious position) in sociology, which has the undergrad teaching program. I really can't wait to get to teach history though. Since I want to teach on the college level, I'll be teaching kids only a few years younger than me. That must have been a pretty cool feeling Vee!

And SLK, I like the Jack of all Trades approach to history! Don't sell yourself short!

#174916 10/20/03 06:38 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I taught elementary school (briefly) before spending five years as a high school counselor ... I liked teaching social studies the best ... just thought I'd put my two cents in ...

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...
#174917 10/20/03 07:13 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Looks like we can start a local of the Social Studies and Affiliated Disciplines Union (SOSAD U? urk ) here.

#174918 10/20/03 07:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well I taught high school one year and I taught senior year economics. It's like history, just lying a different way.

#174919 10/20/03 07:27 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
lol lol lol

#174920 10/20/03 08:26 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Name: Rody

Powers: super-strength (for a rat), super-speed, flight, invulnerability, heat vision, x-ray vision, super-scurrying, etc.

Affiliation: Legion of Super-Rodents

Hobbies: squeaking, eating cheese, rising up against humanoid tyrants

Favorite Legion moments: The ones featuring rodents. What? Can't think of any? That's right! Those guys are speciesists!

[Rodent-English translations provided courtesy of telepathic earplugs.]
Page 6 of 71 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 70 71

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,116
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Comic Addict Lad
Comic Addict Lad
Somewhere in the 30th Century
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star