Roll Call
0 members (), 40 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 71 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 70 71
Re: Welcome to Legion World. Introduce yourself, why don't ya!
#174921 10/21/03 10:00 AM
Active
Active
I'll throw my hat in the teaching ring too. I teach English at the high school level. I've just finished a unit on Oedipus Rex where I covered ancient Greek theatre history and tragedy and now I'm delving into Hamlet. Anybody got anything on 11th century Danish history?

#174922 10/21/03 10:20 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Hamlet? It's not as much fun as the Legion?

I worked on a set for Hamlet once and the director was a right woos! The costumes were sumptuous though.... hmmmm very nice.....

#174923 10/21/03 10:25 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

Quis, I'm glad you like history too! I like They Might be Giants a lot, and am only starting to get into them. The song "Istanbul not Constantinople" is what really did it for me, it's one of the catchiest songs I've heard. In the last two years, I've gone through a phase where I've started listening to more underground type bands that have come out in the last decade (as opposed to earlier decades) including Flogging Molly, which you may be familiar with from Boston (an Irish punk band). I love many different genres of music, especially stuff like these two bands.
Haven't heard of Flogging Molly.

They Might Be Giants also do a song about James K. Polk. (one of my favorites of theirs)
In 1844, the Democrats were split
The three nominees for the presidential candidate
Were Martin Van Buren, a former president and an abolitionist
James Buchanan, a moderate
Louis Cass, a general and expansionist
From Nashville came a dark horse riding up
He was James K. Polk, Napoleon of the Stump

Austere, severe, he held few people dear
His oratory filled his foes with fear
The factions soon agreed
He's just the man we need
To bring about victory
Fulfill our manifest destiny
And annex the land the Mexicans command
And when the votes were cast the winner was
Mister James K. Polk, Napoleon of the Stump

In four short years he met his every goal
He seized the whole southwest from Mexico
Made sure the tarriffs fell
And made the English sell the Oregon territory
He built an independent treasury
Having done all this he sought no second term
But precious few have mourned the passing of
Mister James K. Polk, our eleventh president
Young Hickory, Napoleon of the Stump

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
#174924 10/21/03 01:09 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Ha, Quis, I never really listened to that song before, but I'm going to make it a point now!

#174925 10/30/03 09:01 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
BU--

Er, can't really bump when it's already there! frown wink

#174926 10/31/03 06:39 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Name: Paul MacNeil
Where you live: London, UK
What you do: Service Desk Supervisor

Legion info: Started reading the Legion back in the 80's. My first issue was Lord Romdurs Castle but I didn't really go mad for ituntil the Levitz era (a golden age in general for DC comics). I loved the TMK era but really didn't like the post ZH stuff until DnA came along. Fave Legionnaires are (Levitz era) Invisible Kid 2, Blok, White Witch, Element Lad, Dawnstar, Dream Girl, Magnetic Kid, Tellus & Quislet (TMK era) Rokk, Kent Shakespear, Dragonmage, Andromeda, Spider Girl, Element Lad, Veilmist (post ZH) Cosmic Boy, Brainiac 5, Shikari, Magno

Other things you like: I like sci-fi/fantasy/horror films and the odd weepy. Musicaly I like all sorts but tend towards indie/alternative stuff and I'm a big Pratchett fan. I also have a bit of a weakness for cartoons that have their own toys. Especially Pokemon and Transformers!

#174927 10/31/03 09:03 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Just checking in... It's 3am my time. Will post more when I am actually more human smile

#174928 10/31/03 09:13 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Ok I changed my mind... might as well do it now when I am pretending to be human!

Name: Shanton (which bloody rhymes with Clinton)
Where you live: Melbourne, Australia (where Kylie grew up)
What you do: Lecturer (or Manipulator of Young Minds)

Legion info: Started reading the Legion back in the 70's. My first issue was stuff from my Dad's treasure trove... no idea where it is but have loved Imra Ardeen ever since! Then stopped reading comics for a long time... Vaguely remember the Prophet and Sensor Girl and Polar Boy era, then there was the 5 Year thingy which I didn't have the patience to follow... avoided Archie Legion but have read ever issue at least 10 times since LOTD! Fav Legionanires? Imra and Tasmia since forever, and also more recently... Shikers and Jazzy. As you can see... we're on first names basis.

Other things you like: To quote Paul "I like sci-fi/fantasy/horror films and the odd weepy". One of me fav all time novels trilogy thingy is "Daughter of the Empire" by Feist and Wurts. I sing, produce and present a radio show, entertain myself and am generally a LURKER!

#174929 10/31/03 09:29 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I wasn't a huge fan of Daughter of the Empire, but I did like Magician: Apprentice and Master (I was a fan of Pug, I guess), as well as a couple of the later books in that series. Haven't read them in AGES, though...

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
#174930 10/31/03 09:30 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Galadhran:

But you're on the otherside of the planet! given the time difference who knows how old we really are wink

#174931 10/31/03 11:54 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Hey Shanton, hope you're enjoying it here!

And Paul, I haven't really 'seen' you yet on the boards, hope everything is good!

#174932 10/31/03 02:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Looks That Kill Lad:
Especially Pokemon and Transformers!
We really ought to talk more. laugh

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
#174933 10/31/03 06:19 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
Originally posted by Looks That Kill Lad:
[b] Especially Pokemon and Transformers!
We really ought to talk more. laugh [/b]
Pokemon is Cool... I have a personal stuffed Charizard... only coz my friend cou;dn't find a Charmander... my ALL time fav Pokemon!!

#174934 11/01/03 10:35 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
PIKA PIKA!

Paul, where are you? smile

#174935 11/02/03 09:46 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I just realized I haven't done this yet.

Name: Juan

Where you live: Vancouver, Canada. I was born and raised in Medellin, Colombia, so yes, Spanish is my native language. I also lived for seven years in Germany, a country that I really like.

What you do: I'm in the very last stages of a PhD in Biology (in fact I defend my thesis November 12th). So instead of studying, I post in Legion World. Essentially I use molecular data to try to understand evolutionary relationships of plankton species.

Legion info: My mother bought me my first comic book when I was five: the first issue of Colombia's must successful superhero, Kaliman (I always think it's quite a shame that North Americans have not yet been introduced to Kaliman, it's a very different style from super-heroing. I should tell you about it sometime... But I digress). My father bought me my first issue of the Legion (Wildfire's spotlight, late seventies) during a trip to the US. Big mistake, I bugged him for more ever since (I always told him that comic books were really helping me to improve my English. They may have...). My favorite era: Levitz/Giffen/Lightle/LaRocque. I am not a vehement opposer of v4, but I certainly prefer what came earlier. Hated Legion on the Run, and for that reason was not too disturbed with the reboot. The current era is quite good in my opinion, but I'm always left feeling that it could be SO much better, there are so many layers that exist in the Legion's mythos. Oh well, apparently there aren't enough fans to keep more than one title afloat, so I'll just be happy with what I can get...

Other things I like: When I was growing up I liked three things very much: languages, geography/history and biology. I guess I like things that help me understand this planet of ours. As you probably can guess, I absolutely LOVE travelling (which explains why it took me so long to finish my PhD. Some things for others, right?). More recently I'm finding myself interested in understanding the bases of the world's religions, not because I'm in any way religious myself, but because it helps me understand so much of the way people think, the way people express themselves through art, etc. It's really quite fun.

#174936 11/02/03 06:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I want this one headlined!

It's a Legion Board tradition, dammit!

#174937 11/03/03 08:48 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by STU:
[b]PIKA PIKA!

Paul, where are you? smile [/b]
I'm here Stu!

With you, me, Galadhran & Kid Prime we could start the LMBP Pokemon Squad!!

#174938 11/03/03 08:51 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Polemon's cool, but I was actually talking about the Transformers... laugh

#174939 11/03/03 09:02 AM
Substitute
Substitute
aha! The Animation Squad then smile

I'm more of a classic Transformers fan to be honest but I still like to watch the new stuff as well.

I managed to merge my Pokemon & Transformers fanaticism by naming my Pokemon after Transformers on my first game. My first Pokemon was a Squirtle called Seaspray.

#174940 11/03/03 09:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'm a TOTAL classic fan! I've been getting the classic toy reissues they've been offering here in the States at Toys R Us, and while the weapons are a bit different (to distinguish them from the originals,) the figure are still the same! I've managed to pick up Jazz, Prowl, Bluestreak, Starscream, Thundercracker, and Red Alert over the past year!

That's a good idea, naming Pokemon after transformers (once I get a Pokemon game, I'll have to do the same. I'm sure guys like Laserbeak, Rumble, Hound, Bumblebee, Ironhide... and others... would make great names.)

#174941 11/03/03 09:31 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I've kind of avoided the re-issues for now as I need to save money and I know if I buy one I won't be able to stop myself from buying them all.

A few months ago I was in a comic shop near me and I saw they had a corner for 2nd hand Transformers and they had Soundwave with Ravage and Swoop (The three I've always wanted but never got). It was all too expensive thought. I had to quickly leave before I did something my bank balance would regret smile

Using Transformer names is very useful with Pokemon.

#174942 11/03/03 09:52 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
They ARE addictive. Tracks and Hoist are next on my list, along with Skywarp. I wish they would reissue Soundwave!

#174943 11/03/03 10:06 AM
Substitute
Substitute
If/when I cave in my wish list is Soundwave, Ravage, Thrust, Ramjet, Swoop, Inferno (goes well with my Grapple), Jetfire, Shrapnel, Bombshell, the Predicons and Scorponox.

#174944 11/03/03 10:12 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
<Kid Prime looks longingly at his small collection> One day I'll have them all again. During my late teens nd early twenties, going to thrift stores and yard sales looking for Transformers was something of a hobby for me. I had amassed a collection of almost all of the originals... over 200 figures.

I sold them all for $1600 about 3 years ago. One of the decisions I have most regretted in my life.

Hey, have you seen the Transformers profiles I've been writing over in my thread "Kid Prime's Room" on this forum? I'm finally done with the original cast of characters and I'm about to move on to the 'bots and 'cons introduced during the first year of the cartoon. If you have any thoughts on the characters, I'd love to hear them!

(You do have to wade through a lot of non-transformer-related posting in the thread, buut there's about one profile per page. I'm pretty proud of my writing and the pretty Transformers pictures I've been putting up.) smile

#174945 11/03/03 10:28 AM
Substitute
Substitute
I still have all my old ones in my mums house somewhere. I'm pretty sure I kept them all, although my collection was far from complete. I was buying them up until around the headmaster/target master era I think. The standard of the toys dropped considerably and I just had no interest in them anymore. Although I still go weak at the knees when I see the classics.

I did get some of the Beast War ones which were actually very good (although I had one that combined and you needed a physics degree to do it).

I've actually been scanning your thread right now. Take me a whikle to get through it though as I'm really supposed to be working smile

Are the character descriptions your own? That was one of the things that made me love the. The profiles & the stats.

Page 7 of 71 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 70 71

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,116
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Copycat Girl
Copycat Girl
Somewhere in New Metropolis. Got lost looking for Legion Headquarters.
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star