Roll Call
0 members (), 40 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 71 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 70 71
Re: Welcome to Legion World. Introduce yourself, why don't ya!
#175071 02/18/04 10:48 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Question for Juan, Sharky and generally everyone:

How many languages do you know? I ask because as I slowly attempt to get my Ph.D in the next 8 or so years, I'm going to have to learn a variety of languages, since it's in history. Since I'm going to specialize in Roman history and the Early Middle Ages, here are the recommended languages I was told I MUST know:

Ancient Latin- to translate ancient texts for myself!
Ancient Greek- ditto! What fun!
French- to argue with French scholars in their own language!
German- Ditto!

and...Arabic, preferably Ancient Arabic! Why, because everyone knows those other four, and it'd help to make myself stand out! They said go for Italian too if I get bored!

Although I'm being sarcastic, this is what I really need to learn! I'm slightly proficient in French and Latin, but I have no skills in German and Ancient Greek, let alone Arabic. It should be an interesting next couple of years...

What other languages do you guys know, and did you have to learn them for school?

#175072 02/18/04 01:12 PM
Leader
Leader
Just for giggles I ran Cobies last post through bable fish, translating from english t french. Then I took the translation and rand it back through into english...

Question for Juan, Sharky and generally each one:

How many languages do you know? I ask because while I slowly try to have my Ph.D in the 8 next approximately years, I will have to learn a variety from languages, since it is in the history. Since I will specialize in the Roman history and the average ages young person, here languages recommended that I was known as that I MUST know:

Ancient Latin to translate the ancient texts for me!
Ancient Greek idem! What a recreation!
French to be discussed with the French disciples in their own language!
German Idem!

and... Arabic, Arabic preferably ancient! Why, because each one knows these others four, and helps of it' D to be made the stand outside! They said go for the Italian too much if I obtain tedious!

Although I would be sarcastic, is this what I must really learn! I am slightly qualified in French and Latin, but I do not have any qualification in German and Greek ancient, even less Arabic. It should be forthcoming interesting years...

What of other languages you of the types do they know, and you had to learn them for the school?

#175073 02/18/04 01:16 PM
Leader
Leader
Same game using Chinese:

The question is Juan, Sharky and common everybody:

How many languages do you know? I request because when I slowly attempt to have my Ph.D in the next 8 several years, I must learn various language, because it is in the history. Because I specially study the Roman history and the childhood middle ages, this I am told the language which recommends me must know that,

Ancient Latin translation ancient text for I! Greek same! Any pleasure!
French and the French scholars argued uses they language!
German same!

And... Arabic, well ancient Arabic! Why, because did everybody know these other four, can help with it to make the oneself standpoint! They said for Italian too if I obtain tastelessly!

Although I am the satire, this is any I truly needs to learn! I am slightly skilled with French and Latin, but I do not have the skill to use German and Greek, 更不用说 Arabic. What should this be interesting next 23 years...

other languages you the person knows, and you will have to learn them for the school?

#175074 02/18/04 01:18 PM
Leader
Leader
OK, I'm done hi-jacking your thread now. Thanks for the diversion.

#175075 02/18/04 01:31 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
lol Just a little reminder how much fun it'll be for me to translate stuff in the next fifty years smile !

#175076 02/18/04 04:58 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Question for Juan, Sharky and generally everyone:

How many languages do you know? I ask because as I slowly attempt to get my Ph.D in the next 8 or so years, I'm going to have to learn a variety of languages, since it's in history. Since I'm going to specialize in Roman history and the Early Middle Ages, here are the recommended languages I was told I MUST know:

Ancient Latin- to translate ancient texts for myself!
Ancient Greek- ditto! What fun!
French- to argue with French scholars in their own language!
German- Ditto!

and...Arabic, preferably Ancient Arabic! Why, because everyone knows those other four, and it'd help to make myself stand out! They said go for Italian too if I get bored!

Although I'm being sarcastic, this is what I really need to learn! I'm slightly proficient in French and Latin, but I have no skills in German and Ancient Greek, let alone Arabic. It should be an interesting next couple of years...

What other languages do you guys know, and did you have to learn them for school?
I speak Spanish, German, English and French, and stutter heavily hispanized Italian. No Latin whatsoever. And I would love to know some Greek (modern Greek, mind you), but alas, I don't.

As to whether I had to learn them for school..., well, no, not for university, if that's what you mean. Having grown up in Colombia, my mother language is Spanish. I went to a German school my whole life, so I started studying German as a small child. It's a good thing, too, because it's not an easy language to learn, especially coming from Spanish. I started English in high school, and ended up learning it mostly through movies and comic books that my father used to bring me from the States. And French..., well, I had a few months time between high school graduation and the beginning of University. At first I wanted to work a bit on my English, but then I changed my mind and ended up in France, where I took an intensive course in French for four months. It actually worked, but boy, talk about jumping into the deep end of the pool! I was 19 years old then, and arrived with absolutely no French whatsoever... A great time, though. I enyojed that so much, that later on I took another intensive course in Italy (I had less time, just a month and a half, and that's probably why I don't do Italian that well).

I really enjoy languages, they really open up worlds. It's actually very difficult to describe why it's so much fun learning them, you just live differently speaking other languages, you think differently. It's really not a matter of learning to say things in other languages, to me, it's more about being able to listen to what people have to say, in their own way. You get so much!

Professionally, I've benefited greatly from speaking different languages. For one thing, I got to study in Germany, for Biologists that's really one of the main places to be. And University there is very cheap, too, even for foreigners (not so many go there, precisely because of the language barrier). I also benefit greatly from being able to read European papers in the original languages, and from being able to talk to European scientists in their own terms. Actually, one of the things I'm thinking about now that I've finished my PhD is learning another language. Maybe something Asian this time.

So, my advise is, plunge in. If you can possibly manage to go to either France or Germany, and study French or German there, do it, it will be quicker and much more enjoyable. Heck, it's a great lot of fun. You'll have to come up with some funding, though. German is not easy, coming from English you'll probably need at least 5-6 months of an intensive course. Unfortunately you can't do this intensive thing with Latin, as far as I know. But maybe you can do it with Greek? How about studying Ancient Greek in Greece? Will you get hopelessly confused with Modern Greek? Good luck!

As for Arabic, I also played with the idea of learning Arabic, it's really quite an interesting language. But Arabic has a very big problem: it's extremely dialectal. In other words, the Arabic you learn in one country will not necessarily be understood (at all!) in other countries. And everybody just writes Classical Arabic, the language of the Koran, a language that nobody speaks anymore! That turned me off a bit from learning Arabic, since, as I said, my main objective is always to be able to listen to people. But for you it might work, if you just learn Classical Arabic. Just don't expect to be able to talk to anybody.

(Just as a bit of a final note, the same is true for German, it's an extremely dialectal language. When I arrived in Frankfurt for the first time, after having spent years in high school learning German, I couldn't understand a word! Not one! It was quite disconcerting at the beginning! But Germans do all speak 'high German'if asked, the German that you learn as a foreigner, so it's OK. That's also the language that they use on TV, at the University, etc. But definitely NOT on the street! There, it's a whole different ballgame.)

All I can say is... enjoy!

Juan

#175077 02/18/04 05:11 PM
Active
Active
We had to take one language at school until we were 16. Latin was the easiest so I did that!

The only other language I know is German. And the only things I can say in that are " That is a table" and "Willy Schmidt is next to the bowling alley."

#175078 02/18/04 07:20 PM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
What? I missed 'em!

Oh yeah, that reminds me! I have two pics of myself I want to post! Now I just need to learn how to do it!
Not to worry Cobie. I'll show 'em to you if you'd like.

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#175079 02/18/04 08:00 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
Originally posted by Varalent:
Not to worry Cobie. I'll show 'em to you if you'd like.
Define "'em"... laugh

#175080 02/18/04 11:56 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Sounds good Vee, I'm curious! (And I promise to post my other pics!)

Juan, thanks so much for the feedback! All I can say is WOW!!! That's a lot of languages, and majorly impressive! Like you said, I'm going to have to dive right in, and really make it a part of my life to learn and adapt to other languages in the next few years--luckily, this is something that I've always wanted to do and have been prepared to do for some time! Still, knowing all those languages is extremely impressive!

Like you said, going to France and Germany is probably the best option for learning the languages, and a trip over there has been in my mind for some time. Latin I can learn as I go (I've already started), and Ancient Greek may work in Greece, I'd have to see about that. Classical Arabic is what I'd need to study anyway (despite no one speaking it), since that is what the documents that I'd be researching would be in! It all sounds like so much work and so overwhelming, but I know it can be done...I know people who've done it, like you!

Thanks for the feedback! You may not know it, but this has been EXTREMELY encouraging smile !

#175081 02/19/04 09:04 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
Hee hee!

Soon you'll be able to spell "creatively" in lots of other languages, Cobie! wink laugh hug

#175082 03/07/04 06:08 PM
Active
Active
Blimey! This thread is on it's last legs no? Next question anyone?

OK! Here's one! "When were you last sacked from your job? And what did you do wrong?"

Here's my answer! "Well, it wasn't the last job I got sacked from. But a few years ago I worked in Pret A Manger (for 11 days) and got sacked because I made 250 bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches and accidently left the tomato out."

NEXT!

#175083 03/07/04 07:47 PM
Active
Active
OK! Here's one! "When were you last sacked from your job? And what did you do wrong?"
The last time I was actually "sacked" would have been back around '73 when I was dismissed from my job at a plumbing supplies warehouse. I don't think I did anything wrong, they just didn't need two guys on the loading dock anymore.

More recently, I've had a couple of companies go bankrupt on me. I worked for a programming house that wrote software for in-circuit test and when it finally shut its doors in '90 I wound up going freelance for a couple of years while I made ends meet by running a SuperCrown bookstore.

I had to move from Anaheim to San Jose to get another job in the electronics industry only to have that company go bankrupt '02. They were bought by another another company but I was out of work for six weeks before the new company hired me back.

Every other job I've had I've left of my own volition, unless you count getting kicked out of the Coast Guard for admitting that I had unnatural feelings for the guy in the upper bunk.

I've basically had two careers: retail management and electronic engineer/test programmer. I actually prefer retail management (especially the two bookstores I ran), but being an engineer is a lot more lucrative. Oddly enough, all through High School I thought I would become an English teacher. Luckily that didn't happen since I can't stand kids. smile

Ken

Yes, but now I'm back! I'm back FROM the future!

Vist Hyperion Ranch!
Guided tours of Chateau Crowbar now available!

http://hometown.aol.com/kidcrowbar/myhomepage/ranch.html
#175084 03/07/04 11:09 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally posted by Proty II:

Luckily that didn't happen since I can't stand kids.

Guess I should stay out of your way, then? laugh

Sounds like you've had an interesting life, though. Are you kind of a jack-of-all-trades now?

#175085 03/08/04 06:44 AM
Active
Active
Guess I should stay out of your way, then?

Sounds like you've had an interesting life, though. Are you kind of a jack-of-all-trades now?

Don't worry IB. Anyone who's a Legion fan is wise beyond their years.

And no, I wouldn't call myself a jack-of-all-trades. I have my little niche in test engineering and quality and that's about it. I worked in retail until I was 30 (I'm 48 now) and was able to fall back on that when I was in-between engineering jobs. Aside from that I'm pretty useless.

Ken

Vist Hyperion Ranch!

#175086 03/08/04 07:28 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Nah, I wouldn't say that. Your fanfic is pretty cool.

#175087 03/08/04 09:02 AM
Active
Active
smile

Thanks!

Ken

Vist Hyperion Ranch!

#175088 03/10/04 05:46 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Back to the "sacking" question....

I got sacked from a job as hotel porter for drinking on duty (not being drunk - just drinking).
It probably didn't help my cause that I was 17 at the time........

Hic!
#175089 03/10/04 06:50 PM
Active
Active
**Purr**

I got sacked once but I clawed my way out.

**Purr**

When you're in Danger or in Trouble I will be there on the Double.
#175090 03/11/04 06:15 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Ok here is something about me
i am 39 single living in sunny south fla,
I have been a fan of the legion since sunboy
had his big fight with regulus in a superboy comic
193 i think, i love the first shooter era and i love
curt swan, i like to listen to my police scanner
because you hear some rather interesting things at work

I am a stranger
in a really strange
land
#175091 03/11/04 03:12 PM
K
Applicant
Applicant
K
Age 35
Name Kelley

Well my love of comics came at a early age.I can remember the day and the events that led me to be a comic fan.I was 8 yrs and was sick my Late Mom took me to the Doctor and later to the drug store.It was there that I found my love of comics there was a comic rack in the drug store and I walked over to it.I remember looking at all the comics and heros on there covers and then one stood out(Avengers 182)Hawkeye was on the cover with bow in hand and I said I wanna be like him.Well my Mom came over and asked if I wanted some comics 30cent at the time I said yes ma'am and she bought me some along with Avengers 182.Since then my mother pasted away in june of 1999 I still have that issue of Avengers 182 framed in my home and I get misty eyes every time I see it because my Mom started my love of comics and she will always be great memory.Btw I am a big Legion fan Dc also.Right now I read mainly Dc comics JSA,JLA,Batgirl,Legion,Froniter,Green Arrow,and such.I also got the chance to open my own comic shop for a few years that was a dream come true.

Well thats all be well

#175092 03/12/04 04:44 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Cool! Nice getting to know you two, josum64 and Kid Apocalypse.

#175093 03/13/04 10:37 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
[ Cool! Nice getting to know you two, josum64 and Kid Apocalypse.

IB you are not so bad yourself dude, asa matter of fact this is such a great board with great people.

I am a stranger
in a really strange
land
#175094 03/16/04 12:21 AM
L
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
L
Originally posted by Varalent:
Yes, I was born in Cuba (on the day Castro marched into Havana and took personal control of the government) but my family fled to the States when I was about 2 1/2 years old.
Cool!
My parents are from Cuba!!

tu primo,
lil'rhino

#175095 03/16/04 01:02 PM
Sorceress
Sorceress
Name: Theresa
Where you live: Anaheim, CA
What you do: I'm a high school student, planning to study acting

Legion info: My favorite character is Kinetix, and I obviously like the era she is included in, I have only begun to start reading

Other things you like: I like acting, reading, and idolizing celebs.

Anything else that you want to share: Cute things are cute like me, but if you make me mad I get nasty

And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...
Page 13 of 71 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 70 71

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,114
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Querl Dox
Querl Dox
Saline, Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star