Roll Call
0 members (), 38 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 71 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 70 71
Re: Welcome to Legion World. Introduce yourself, why don't ya!
#175346 01/10/05 08:46 AM
Applicant
Applicant
Name: Proty

Well, let's see... I bought my first Legion comic in May of 1978, at the tender age of 8. I no longer have the issue, and can't remember anything about it, other than having bought it. In those days, I used to trade in my comics at a used book store, and buy other back issues with the proceeds. I can clearly remember buying SLSH 200 & 203, which I still have and dearly treasure. Anyway, I bought Legion comics off and on for the next 10 years or so, and then really got into the Legion in a big way while I was at college. I've bought darn near every Legion book since about 1988 or so.

And I guess I'm a curse for some of my favorite characters: Proty, naturally, & Blok, Quislet, & Kinetix. Others who have fared a bit better: Cosmic Boy, Sensor Girl (at least, before she was a snake), and Cham.

#175347 01/10/05 04:06 PM
Sorceress
Sorceress
Nice to see ya guys!

And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...
#175348 01/13/05 06:10 AM
Active
Active
Can't believe I didn't notice this thread before...!

Name: Will
Marital Status: Married
Base of Operations: Shelbyville, KY (though my heart's back in CO)
First Appearance: Doc Nimbus and the LSH #1.
History: My brother got me started on comics back when I was around 5. The first book I remember reading was Superboy and the LSH #203.. I think that's the number. The issue where Lyle gets crushed by Validus.. I became a diehard Legion fan, my favorite era being Levitz. My favorite guy characters are Cosmic Boy, Timber Wolf, Wildfire and Blok. My favorite girl characters are Dream Girl, Dawnstar, Light Lass, White Witch and Supergirl (Pre-Crisis).

Hobbies: I like almost any type of Role-playing games, from the medieval fantasy (D&D) to super-hero (Mutants and Masterminds). I also enjoy spending time with my kids (I have two, one boy, one girl), and playing City of Heroes with LWers!

Music: I like the Black-Eyed Peas and Evanescense(sic).
Movies: I loved Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter movies!
TV: Currently I watch Smallville, Lost, Alias, Desperate Housewives and Boston Legal. In the past I was a diehard Buffy and Angel fan(still am)!

"Your plan didn't work, now let's try it my way...brute force!"
#175349 01/16/05 08:02 AM
Applicant
Applicant
name john
age 40
single
sunny south fla
security guard
pre crsis legion fan
the shooter era

I am a stranger in a very strange
land
#175350 01/31/05 02:26 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Name: Scott Tatum
Where you live: Atlanta, Georgia
What you do: going to graduate school. About to begin a strenuous summer of vacationing.

Legion info:
Male chars: Ultra Boy (of course), Invisible Kid, Element Lad (before insanity), Color Kid and Karate Kid.
Female chars: Princess Projectra (Sensor), Mysa, Dream Girl, Saturn Girl.
Villians: Mordru, Emerald Empress.

First issue: hmmm well the one I remember most vividly has Ultra Boy on the cover in the maw of a dinosaur in space.
I have collected various Legion incarnations from the 80s, 90s up to the new Legion re-boot.

Other things you like: RPGs (D&D and Mutants and Masterminds currently), City of Heroes (see below for toons), taking classes, theme parks and roller coasters (love Islands of Adventure and Six Flags over Georgia has great coasters), swimming.

Anything else that you want to share! Love the site. The timeline posts have helped fill in gaps where I have missed some storyline progression.
Have also enjoyed grouping with other Legionnaires on City of Heroes. My toons are on Virtue server : Rain Bow, Ultra Boi, Northern Star, Invisible Lad, Astral Deva, Pride March, Electron Shell, Snow Lad. On Victory: Rainbow Pride.

See you online!
Scott

#175351 01/31/05 03:05 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Hi Scott, glad to see another Atlantan on the board. Hope you made it through the ice storm over the weekend ok.

Also a late welcome to john and the Doc!

#175352 02/03/05 05:21 AM
The girl from the future
The girl from the future
Name: Karyn Paul
Where you live: London (real home is Durban, South Africa)
What do you do: Secretary (dog's body) - druing the week, work at museums on weekends.

My first Legion comic was Legionnaires #1, and have been trying for the past 10 years to get the rest of them. There are just no comic book stores in Durban, so making the most of London stores =) and collecting every single Legion issue I can get my hands on.

Favourite characters are Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, Chameleon, Brainy, Ultra Boy, Invisible Kid, actually all of them.

I'm loving this site, there's so much I didn't know, and the sketches, and info are brilliant!!!!

I might live on the butt end of the world, but I get to see the days before anyone else.... mwaahahahahahaha

(I'm no good at evil laughing)
#175353 02/06/05 07:55 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Name: Matthew Elmslie
Where you live: Toronto, or close enough as makes no difference
What you do: itinerant cubicle monkey

Legion info: the first issue I ever read was the one where Blok joined, and I've had a soft spot for the big lug ever since. Several favourite eras, including the current one. Favourite story... it's hard to beat the Great Darkness.

Other things you like: baseball, ping-pong, ice cream, Canadian history, generational history, rock'n'roll.

#175354 02/07/05 06:39 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Damn, I've been posting so infrequently that I've missed welcoming people in here! (Not to mention in the numerous welcome threads.)

So...hello to Troy, Proty, Will, Scott, Karyn, and Matthew! I see a few of you are right around my age (34).

But, um, Scott...Astral Deva? Sounds like the name of a drag queen. Is there something we ought to know about you? wink

Dan
#175355 02/07/05 10:04 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by john:
I am a stranger in a very strange
land
You don't know the half of it.
I swear, the longer you stay the stranger it gets too.

#175356 02/08/05 04:03 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Once Batman stole my pants

True story that NightGirl

:polarboy:
#175357 02/08/05 09:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I knew Batman couldn't be trusted! I hope he doesn't expect to blame it on Composite Superman, some bitter rival, or even a clone-helper! Well, there's nothing for it but to not read any Batman books except S/B!

Dan
#175358 02/09/05 07:06 AM
R
Applicant
Applicant
R
G'day Everyone,

Name: Royd
Base of Operations: Perth, Western Australia
Legion Fan Since: circa 1977/1978
Hobbies: comics, original comic art, role playing games
Fave LOSH Artists: Keith Giffen, Stuart Immonen, Adam Hughes, Dave Cockrum, James Sherman, Mike Nasser
Fave LOSH Storyline: Great Darkness Saga
Fave LOSH Characters: Braniac 5, Wildfire, Ultra Boy, Karate Kid
Fave LOSH Female Characters: Dream Girl, Phantom Lass, Laurel Gand
LOSH (and other) Original Art: http://members.lycos.co.uk/liroyd/
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=111

The original art features some lovely Legion-related artwork including covers, pin-ups and sketches, most by good buddy, Stuart Immonen.

(Note: While I'm pleased to see that the Legion is still around, I'm afraid it's not the Legionnaires I grew up with so I find it hard to "relate" to them).

Best,

Royd

#175359 02/09/05 07:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Glad to have you around, Royd. What do you think of the new Dream Girl and Karate Kid? Since they're old-time favorites of yours, I'm wondering how you view the new versions.

Dan
#175360 02/27/05 01:23 AM
S
Active
Active
S
Hi, everybody.

I came over here from comicbookresources.com, where I moderate the Classic Comics forum. CBR has not had a Legion forum for several years, and the Legion threads on our DC Universe forum just weren't enough for me... I'm loving the new Legion so much that I just have to talk more about it. smile Thus, I followed my fellow CBR moderator Paul Newell to these forums.

Name: Aaron Kashtan
Base of Operations: Providence, Rhode Island / St. Louis Park, Minnesota
Legion Fan Since: 1994
Hobbies: comics, debate, video games, having a good time all the time, watching football
Fave LOSH Artists: Curt Swan, James Sherman, Mike Grell, Keith Giffen, Adam Hughes, Jeff Moy, Barry Kitson
Fave LOSH Storyline: Great Darkness Saga
Fave LOSH Male Characters: Invisible Kid I, Mon-El, Bouncing Boy, Colossal Boy
Fave LOSH Female Characters: Shadow Lass, Light Lass, XS, Phantom Girl, Shrinking Violet
Fave LOSH Androgynous Characters: Chameleon, Quislet

Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake
#175361 02/27/05 02:36 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That's the first time I've seen a fave androgynous category. Welcome Sir TIm - chatter on!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#175362 02/27/05 06:06 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
It is different, isn't it? It's funny, too, since Cham was never androgynous prior to Threeboot.

Dan
#175363 03/21/05 12:17 AM
Candidate
Candidate
Hello, all. I'm a new old fan, or something to that effect.

Name: Damin J. Toell
Where you live: Astoria, Queens, New York
What you do: Attorney
Favorite LSH character: Tenzil Kem
Favorite LSH era: TMK

Been lurking on the boards for a little while, thought I'd finally join in case I felt the urge to contribute. I first got into comics around 1987, mainly with the SUPERMAN line and a few other DC books. Other favorite characters/titles over the years included GREEN LANTERN, SANDMAN, and CEREBUS, although I consistently read a wide range of DC Universe titles, as well as a selection of indies from Dark Horse, Image, etc. Never really caught on with Marvel titles at all. I became a letterhack in later years, and I was getting letters printed at least once or twice a week once I hit my stride. I haven't read any of my letters in years, and I'm sure I'd be horribly embarrassed were I to do so now. I don't recall if I ever got anything published in any of the Legion-related titles.

I got into LSH early on in the TMK run. I also own a selection of issues from the 3rd series (including the Great Darkness Saga), as well as the first five of the Archive HCs. I read the series consisently through late 1995, when I pretty much gave up on comics in general, as real life started to creep in on me as I prepared for college. This meant I lived through the entire ZERO HOUR mess, and I was quite disappointed at seeing so many years of continuity, characters and charm done away with so quickly. It was probably no coincidence that the end of my comics addiction came about not long after the death of Hal Jordan and LSH.

Since 1995, my contact with comics has been minimal. I finished out the run of SANDMAN and I kept up on CEREBUS via the phonebooks, but that's about it, other than the odd issue every couple of years (e.g., the Clark & Lois wedding issue of SUPERMAN). Now, almost 10 years later, LSH is being revived (again) and Hal Jordan is returning. I'm not sure if either of these will lead to anything worthwhile, but I am checking out both the new LSH series and the GREEN LANTERN REBIRTH mini. The excitement of this board has been fueling my interest in the new LSH, and we'll just see how far both that vicarious excitement and the actual quality of the run can take me. Since I have so little (emotionally) invested in comics at this point, there's really nothing for me to lose in this experiment.

I would still like to complete my collection of the 3rd series. This would probably be most easily accomplished by buying the entire series as a lot, if possible, and I assume that this would be most likely to occur by keeping an eye out an eBay. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Once I acquire the entire 3rd series, I'd love to read it and the 4th series (though surely not all in the same sitting).

Most importantly, I am fully shocked that Matter-Eater Lad wasn't taken already. Where's the love for Tenzil?

Best,
DJ

#175364 03/21/05 02:35 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Honestly, DJ, I too was shocked that there wasn't a Matter-Eater Lad yet. Welcome!

And welcome to all of those who have taken the plunge by joining up. Looking forward to what you guys have to say.

#175365 03/21/05 08:27 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Welcome, M-E Lad!

Don't sweat the name thing; you'll find plenty of love for Tenzil on these boards.

Legion World's Badwill Ambassador
#175366 03/21/05 10:41 AM
Candidate
Candidate
Thanks for the welcomes. From looking at the member directory, it actually looks like there was another M-E Lad, although he didn't use the hyphen ("Matter Eater Lad"). I just selected the name on a lark during registration, assuming it was taken. If there's any problems/confusions, I'm sure a mod will let me know.

DJ

#175367 03/21/05 11:55 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
TMK era, eh? So long as it's not much beyond the third year. I'm also pretty surprised no one had Matter-Eater Lad, but there are definitely M-EL fans around these parts!

Dan
#175368 03/21/05 12:24 PM
Candidate
Candidate
Originally posted by ferroboy:
TMK era, eh? So long as it's not much beyond the third year. I'm also pretty surprised no one had Matter-Eater Lad, but there are definitely M-EL fans around these parts!
I loved it at least through the destruction of Earth, and stuck to it pretty much until Zero Hour. Hey, there was still a Tenzil issue after Earth blew up!

DJ

#175369 03/22/05 12:23 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Hi, everyone. It's great to find an active, healthy Legion forum. I kept hearing about a dedicated, enduring fan base, but I didn't know where y'all were hiding out.

Name: Julia Claire
Base of Operations: the consensual hallucination known as Vancouver, British Columbia
Legion Fan Since: 1996 or 1997, lost track around 1998-2004, back on board as of 2005
What you do: Graphic designer, art student, writer/artist/filmmaker-type creature
Hobbies etc: making up weird stuff and trying to get paid for it, assorted outdoors activities, yelling at CNN, masqurading as a mild-mannered marketing intern, so on...
Fave Legion Artist/Storyline/Character: I don't think I've seen enough of the overall history of the books to really judge yet. From what I have read, I thought 'Legion Lost' was a great storyline. It's hard to pick favorite characters when everyone's being written so well, but I'll go with Garth, Brainy, M'Onel, Cos, Triplicate Girl/Triad and Lyle. For now. tongue

I'm a bit of a comic book dilettante in general. I came into the hobby as a pretty standard X-men and Elfquest fan and eventually diversified out to various DC and independent titles. I started buying LSH books on a whim during the Post-Reboot era. I was buying 'Generation X' at the time, and I actually was 16, so I found it easier to relate to teenage characters. The first issue I bought is hard to recall exactly because I bought a ton of back issues too. I think it may have been Legionnaires #49 or #50. I lost track in early 1998 when I sort of fell out of the comic buying habit. My little sister and brother divided up my comics when I went off to university. They've since been scattered to various friends and friends of friends. But both my siblings are, or were, Legion fans by exposure.

I glanced back at comics over 1998-2000, but the X-books were such a mess that it wasn't worth bothering with. The Legion books of that time seemed too dark and strange after the shiny/happy Peyer/Moy Legionnaires I was used to. Ironically, this era has become my favorite now.

I have a really hard time explaining to people why I like the Legion series because I generally don't like Campbellian storytelling, the pure superhero genre or shiny retro futurism. I like Frank Miller-style realism, Morrison-style weirdness, Bendis-style character writing and Shirow-style cyberpunk dystopia. So, how can I like a series about 'silver age-tinged teenage superheros in a stylized and optimistic future' anyway? I'm not sure. I can't come up with any concrete reason beyond a nebulous intersection of characterization, theme and atmosphere. But I do like it. smile

There is something undeniably compelling about this series, but I can't really put my finger on what it is. I've never seen anything that had the same kind of interpersonal dynamics. There's nothing in 'superteens in the brightly colored future' to explain where that came from. There are plenty of other superteen books, some of them futuristic. I can't figure out what it is that makes this one work the way it does.

I wonder if it's just the decades of character development that have refined the cast into something that works so uniquely and well. The DC flagship characters have a longer history, but I would guess there was a lot of pressure to keep the characters in fairly blank, familiar archetypes and to maintain their series at the status quo. It seems to me that the various LSH writers would have had more freedom to tinker with the concept and write complex, difficult, less 'lowest common denominator' characters. I wonder if, ironically, the fractured history and uneven sales of the Legion books has actually worked in it's favor.

Eh.. I really didn't mean to write an essay for an introduction post, either. I'm just stuck at home with the flu and bored stiff. I'm really going to have to think about this more when I've had more sleep and less tylenol, but there does seem to be something very unique about the LSH.

...and it's just occurred to me that all of the above is probably painfully obvious theorizing that you guys analyzed to death years ago. So please excuse my newbie chatter. smile Nice to meet you all.

#175370 03/22/05 12:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Those were some lovely thoughts, Julia. Thank you for such a thoughtful moment, and welcome! We... ARE Legion Fandom! lol

White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.
Page 24 of 71 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 70 71

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,116
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Mediocre Boy
Mediocre Boy
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star