Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad, thoth lad), 35 Murran Spies, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by thoth lad - 05/05/24 12:36 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 31 of 71 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 70 71
Re: Welcome to Legion World. Introduce yourself, why don't ya!
#175521 09/20/05 03:39 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Yeah, hi & welcome - jump right in and join the fun.

Hic!
#175522 09/20/05 09:56 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Welcome, Everyday Girl.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
#175523 10/26/05 06:33 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Now that I've read this entire thread, I supposed I should add my info too.

Name: Laurie
Where I live: Suburb on the western side of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
What I do: You mean, like a job? I earn my keep as a software engineer.

Legion info: Blame my parents. First, when I was about seven, my dad stopped by the local pharmacy which in those days carried comic books. He didn't know much about the current comics characters, but he knew I liked super-heroes and brought home an issue of Adventure. The story was "Heroes for Hire", I think near the end of the Adventure run. One issue and I was hooked.

I didn't know how to find more issues in a series then. But I knew other characters like Superman, and it was luck that I found Action comics just as the LSH resumed there in the back-up story. By then I was getting the hang of looking for specific titles. Followed the Legion to Superboy and never looked back.

And I said that both parents were to blame? Mom was my enabler. She bought the books for me before I had the funds myself, on the condition that she read every comic book I picked. A conscientious mother must know what her daughter is reading, right?

What else I like: Drawing and painting, writing fiction, needlework (mostly knitting these days), studying foreign languages (Japanese at the moment), reading, watching animation (American and Japanese anime), spending time with my wonderful husband and our cat, moderating and teaching for my volunteer job at OekakiCentral . My tastes in reading have broadened over the years--I still love comics and science fiction and fantasy, but now also include manga and historical fiction. Never have been too much into the music scene, but there's some artists I like: Fleetwood Mac, Alan Parsons Project, Led Zeppelin, ELO. Have I dated myself enough with those admissions?

Name droppings: I haven't attended the really big comics conventions, but we've had many folks come to our local comics con. Among LSH creators, I've had a chance to meet Mike Grell, Dan Jurgens (who lives here), Curt Swan and Murphy Anderson. It stunned me to no end when Mr. Grell *remembered* me after about 15 years from when we first met and he saw some of my work, back in the 1980s. When Mr. Anderson was here a couple years ago, he brought his wife on the trip, and she sat at the con table with him. She was knitting! So I got to talk art with him and knitting with her.

#175524 10/26/05 07:33 PM
S
Stu Offline OP
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
S
Nice to meet you, Suncat!

#175525 12/07/05 08:50 AM
F
Applicant
Applicant
F
First post on the board. (Thanks to Nightcrawler for the assist!)

Name: Chuck
Job: Security in Information Technology

Info: One of the first comics stories to really affect me (by that I mean "hook me") was the death of Triplicate Girl at the hands of Computo. Way back when!
I prefer the Legion from the Cockrum/Grell era.

Like Suncat above, I've been privileged to meet Curt Swan, Murphy Anderson, Mike Grell and Dan Jurgens, along with other Legion creators like Mark Waid, Alan Davis and Chris Sprouse and of course my fave , Dave Cockrum (he lives just a few miles down the road from me).

Gentlemen all!

Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
#175526 12/08/05 12:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Suncat:
Now that I've read this entire thread, I supposed I should add my info too.

Name: Laurie
Where I live: Suburb on the western side of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
I'm not alone in exile!
Welcome Suncat!

Just spouting off.
#175527 12/08/05 12:21 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
And hello Fearsome1.

These last two posters have me wondering how many states, and how many countries are represented here on LW.

Oh, look a butterfly...

Just spouting off.
#175528 01/05/06 05:32 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
These last two posters have me wondering how many states, and how many countries are represented here on LW.

Oh, look a butterfly...
We could probably ask Nighty to create a map of the world which could be populated with flags representing members etc. etc.

You know, when he's got nothing better to do with his time.

Now, where did that butterfly go ........

Hic!
#175529 02/06/06 01:30 AM
Rejected Substitute Reservist
Hey guys. Typed this up on a whim and thought you'd get a kick out of it smile

'Not-So-Bad Lad'
Name: Holus Adelr
Home Planet: Myar
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 310 lbs.

History: Holus was destined to never amount to much. As one of the few inhabitants of Myar without an leaning towards alchemy, he constantly brought shame to his family with his flippant attitude and lacadasical lifestyle. He was content with a menial postion at a local Starship Refueling Center, and a life of carefree activities. One day, while visiting his cousin, Hart Druiter, he was accidently exposed to the remains of Hart's destroyed alchemical potion, and was granted powers by the crude potion derivitive. Holus cared little about this new change, until the betrayal of the Legion of Superheroes by his shameful relative. Holus, trying defend the honor of his planet and his family, applied for the Legion as Not-So-Bad Lad, his name being both a metaphor for his power and his stance on his people and planet. Unfortunatly, Holus' powers were considered power duplication, and limited in their application, and he was denied. Thankfully though, his easygoing and gregarious attitude relieved the Legion of the stigma left by Nemesis Kid, and he became close friends with several Legionnaires, including Matter-Eater Lad. Tenzil suggested he tryout for the Legion of Substitute heroes, but after a 'misunderstanding' between him and Infectious Lass over a cigarette, he was elected off of the team, but allowed to stay on as an Auxiliary Substitute.

Then, the unthinkable happened. Due to the machinations of Glorith, Mantis Morlo, and The Super Moby Dick of Space, the universe began to unravel. Only the quick thinking of Holus, the dancing abilities of Tenzil Kem, and the tastiness of certain fungi saved existance from certain...nonexistance. Unfortunatly only Tenzil, Holus, Cosmic Boy, and Wildfire remembered anything about the event, due to the instability of the timestream at the time, and Holus was still ineligible for Legion Membership. Rokk, however, decided to keep his number handy incase another such event occur, and Not-So-Bad Lad was named the first Secret Honorary Auxilary Substitute Legionnaire!

Powers: Being exposed to the containmenated remains of the alchemical formula that spawned the powers of Nemesis Kid, Holus is capable of imperfectly replicating the powers or abilites of those around him. For instance, if he were to duplicate Sun Boy, he could generate heat of up to 185 degrees farenheit around his body. For Matter-Eater Lad, he would be able to eat many thing humans would consider unpalleteable. Not-So-Bad Lad could also recreate, albiet imperfectly, abilites that are inherent in others. If he were to be around someone who spoke Spanish, he would be able to understand the language, but not speak it, or speak it, but without being able to inflect properly.

Personality: Holus is a sincere, generous individual, with little in regards to rancor or anger for anyone else. Carefree and jovial, there are few in the Universe who would not befriend him, and even fewer who would regard him with illwill. That being said, Holus is unyeilding in his attitude, leading him to grate on the nerves of more serious minded individuals. There is absolutly no one in the universe above good natured ribbing for Holus, no authority above wisecracking, and no situation grim enough to not warrant a bad joke. While he is aware that he annoys several people, Holus is way to busy smiling to care. All in all, he's not so bad. smile

How do ya'll like it? Thought I'd give another dimension to what is otherwise a useless (but cool In My Humble Opinon) screen name. smile

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#175530 02/06/06 06:44 AM
Welcome.

Your erudite knowledge of Legion mythos is quite impressive for someone as young as you.

Originally posted by Not-So-Bad Lad:
If he were to be around someone who spoke Spanish, he would be able to understand the language, but not speak it, or speak it, but without being able to inflect properly.

Let's see if you understand this:

Espero que disfrutes de todo lo que ofrece Legion World. Diviertete mucho.

#175531 02/20/06 12:24 AM
I flunked Spanish twice. The only Spanish I can remember is the first verse of 'Dr. Worm' by They Might Be Giants I transcribes for a project. Got an 'F' too... wink

"I weighed the odds of this working versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid and, well, I did it anyway,"

- Crow T. Robot
#175532 02/21/06 06:19 AM
Fair enough. What it said was, "I hope you enjoy everything Legion World has to offer. Have a lot of fun."

But now I notice something I missed before -- you've been here since 2004. Oops. Sorry.

#175533 02/25/06 11:57 PM
Applicant
Applicant
Name: Catrina
Where you live: Massachusetts
What you do: er, yearbook?

I've read most of the series, except for some bits in v2 I missed (mainly around when Dawnstar joined). My favorite incarnation was post-ZH (apparently I'm one of the 12 people out there that likes it); I was actually introduced to it through someone's icon of Brainy kissing Lyle, then went out and picked up a few issues. I've always liked Brainy, and I didn't even realize how much I liked Lyle until he kicked the bucket in the first continuity. I thought Jenni was adorable (actually read the Impulse issues with her first, very much ;_;), I was fond of Sensor, and I was growing a soft spot for Jan until he went loco (that page in the Legion where Imra talks to the cadets about him totally broke my heart).

I don't like it when stories get blatantly fourth-wall breaking (Morrison's Animal Man? Good. Superboy telling everyone to read the miniseries in YJ? Good. 'We must do this to fix the <strike>continuity</strike> timeline!' Not so good.), and I solidly dislike blatant retcons (I'm never comfortable with preboot Andromeda/Laurel, because my brain keeps going 'but but but Kara!' Pre-Crisis Kara and PAD's Linda were my favorite Supergirls, and I can't stand the new one). Also, comic book writers need to take five minutes to Google a BMI index or at least a height-weight chart sometime because if I see one more 5'11" athletic superheroine that weighs 120 pounds and she's not snapping in half like a twig, I'm going to scream.

In other comic stuff, I like Robinson's Starman, Ellis's Transmetropolitan (pretty much anything by him, really), and BKV's Ex Machina and Y: the Last Man. Art-wise, I love Stuart Immonen, Adam Hughes and Tony Harris.

Other than that, I do lots of random writing and drawing (usually oekaki... this one was quick, but at least not terribly embarrasing). I play video games a lot (namely the Final Fantasy series, beat most of them and replaying 6 right now), and I spend a ridiculous amount of time playing the Sims (I've got a Legion of Sims 2--and general DC--which is awesome, Brainy made Hal Jordan cry).

My username comes from one night of pwning my way across TFC as a soldier; the nickname stuck. Also, I use the word totally because all-encompassingly doesn't really roll off the tongue.

'What the--a robot shark!'

Be warned--I liked post-ZH.
#175534 02/26/06 02:17 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Ghost of Numf El:
We could probably ask Nighty to create a map of the world which could be populated with flags representing members etc. etc.

You know, when he's got nothing better to do with his time.

Now, where did that butterfly go ........
Here 's a temp attempt. I'll try to create a customized local version when I have a chance.

#175535 02/26/06 08:11 AM
Welcome, Sollie.

#175536 03/01/06 12:56 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Here[/URL]'s a temp attempt. I'll try to create a customized local version when I have a chance.
Gary - what can I say?

F'n'A! You RAWK!

Can I suggest that we give it a thread of its own, that way everyone can see it and register.

Hic!
#175537 03/01/06 01:01 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Sollie - it's good to have you on board.

<Edited to remove uncalled for, presumptious comment - Sorry!>

laugh laugh

Hic!
#175538 03/01/06 03:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Welcome, Sollie!

you'll find plenty of fans of each era here. He generally don't rag on people for thier tastes, except in jest, (although no one's yet really admitted to liking the Gerry Conway years best wink ).

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#175539 03/04/06 09:54 AM
feelin' hot hot hot
feelin' hot hot hot
Welcome, welcome Sollie!!

I've actually only read the reboot and 3boot, so... yeah. I don't like it more, exactly, just don't have the patience to go through preboot eras too.

I also love XS, btw. wink XS But I'm a pretty big Flash Family fan, so... there we are. laugh

Anyway, can't wait to see more of your art posted in the Bits section (I hope) and YAY for having another teenager on the board!! (19 is still teen. wink )

#175540 03/06/06 07:10 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
As I am to all younger people on this board, I, the mature 24 year old Cobalt Kid will always be available in a mentor capacity!

Can't wait to see your art!

#175541 03/07/06 09:06 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Ghost of Numf El:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Here[/URL]'s a temp attempt. I'll try to create a customized local version when I have a chance.
Gary - what can I say?

F'n'A! You RAWK!

Can I suggest that we give it a thread of its own, that way everyone can see it and register.
The map thing is very cool, Gary. Thanks!

Just spouting off.
#175542 03/19/06 06:49 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Dang! Another "oops"! My own fault (of course) for hardly ever mentioning my actual physical location but I see that Oklahoma City doesn't have a red dot to represent ME.

Love the map G.

#175543 03/24/06 06:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The map wouldn't load for me. frown

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#175544 03/26/06 09:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
Dang! Another "oops"! My own fault (of course) for hardly ever mentioning my actual physical location but I see that Oklahoma City doesn't have a red dot to represent ME.

Love the map G.
Thanks! You have to sign up there, YK. It's separate from the board and isn't even located on our server. (Yet! I plan to dismantle the code and steal...er...borrow it for over here, one of these days when I have a free afternoon or two.)

Originally posted by Kent Shakespeare:
The map wouldn't load for me. frown
Unfortunately, I have no real control over it. I'll test it out here (see above^).

#175545 03/29/06 12:39 PM
Active
Active
Name: Will
Live: Austin, Texas

Legion info: I first read the Legion in the Summer of 1974. I spent that entire summer at my Grandparent's house. They owned a convenience store and because of that they had a ton of old comics lying around their house that their older grandkids and kids had brought home from the store. They had racked up an impressive, if heavily worn, collection going all the way back to the 40's and 50's. They had a ton of old Superman, Jerry Lewis and a lot of those great Warren Horror Magazines. I spent that entire summer reading those old books and that was my introduction to the world of comics.

Among those comics were quite a few Adventures featuring the Legion. I must have read those old Adventures a hundred times that summer...specifically the one where Lightning Lad dies and the arc that introduced Mordru.

Even though I missed the Silver Age Legion when it first came out...those were the first Legion stories I read, and because of that I have always been a huge fan of the Silver Age Legion, and more or less a Silver Age Legion fan, in particular the Shooter/Swan stories.

By far my favorie comics ever are the two parter that introduced Mordru.

After that I picked up a few issues here and there..the story by Levitz about the extended 30th century life span, the tail end of the Earth War..the tabloid that came out in the 70's.

The story arc that got me hooked on the Legion permanently was the arc by Roy Thomas...the Ultraboy, Superboy, Reflecto arc...after that I was hooked.

I am definitely a fan of the Sci-Fi elements of the Legion that featured prominently in the Hamilton, Siegel and Shooter Legion.

I am not a big fan of the Levitz Legion. I actually liked his first run better and found his second run to be pretty depressing after getting off to a great start.

Favorite Legion Characters(in order): Superboy, Karate Kid, Mon-El, Chameleon Boy, Duo Damsel, Phantom Girl, Supergirl,(as you can see, I wasn't a real big fan of what the Crisis did to the Legion),

Braniac 5, Ultra Boy, Matter Eater-Lad, TimberWolf, Gates, XS, Devlin O'Ryan, Laurel Gand and Thunder.

Favorite Villans: Mordru, the Fatal 5(Mano), Darkseid and the Dark Circle.

Least Favorite Villian: John Byrne

Favorite Legion Stories(in order): The first appearance of Mordru. The one shot hero. The Reflecto Arc. The Great Darkness Saga. Just about all of the Matter Eater Lad stories by Giffen and the Beirbaum's in the 89 Legion series.

Favorite Writers(in order): Jim Shooter, Edmond Hamilton, Roy Thomas and Keith Giffen(cept for killing Karate Kid).

Favorite Artists(in order): Curt Swan, Barry Kitson, Dave Cockrum, Steve Lightle, John Forte, and Keith Giffen(the pre style change Giffen).

I really like the direction Barry's art is taking and he has easily moved into my second all time slot of favorite Legion artists. I wasn't a big fan of his during his L.E.G.I.O.N. years, but the stuff he is doing now is freaking awesome...the chracters are so well drawn and his work has developed a gracefullness that reminds me of Curt Swan at his peak...but he also has a style all his own at the same time. I really like his 31st century and space backgrounds.

It's great seeing an artist hit one of those exciting periods where they come into their own and finally hit their creative stride and prime...it looks to me like Kitson is hitting one of these periods right now on the Legion and it is very exciting. I hope it lasts longer than Giffen's prime.

I am undecided on Waid...he is one of my favorite modern writers, I loved his Flash stint. But I was not a big fan of his first tenure on the book...this time around he's doing some good stuff, but I still haven't recovered from the 94 reboot. Still, I like just about everything else he has written aside from the 94 Legion so I have high hopes for this Waid/Kitson team. I hope DC is going to support them in making the Legion Great again...it'd be nice.

Movies and Books: I am big Sci-Fi buff...I love horror movies and science fiction and can't get enough of that stuff...and a big part of the reason why is from reading those old Legion stories.

My thoughts on the current Legion: It's already my favorite extended era since the Silver Age Legion...and it's very reminiscent of that era. I hope it keeps up...I hope the series has a heavy Sci-Fi edge and I hope we again start seeing the expansion and growth of the 31st century, specifically in the villian and planet department. I hope they bring back all of the elements that make the Legion the Legion, and then I hope we can move on to bringing in new characters, new worlds and new villans...I am ready for us to move out of the cycle of continually retelling and reintroducing, I want that stuff back, but I am also ready for some new stuff so I hope we get there quickly.

Nice to meet you all and I look forward to participating in Legion discussions on this board.

Here's to hoping someday John Byrne gets written out of the Legion's continuity. smile

Page 31 of 71 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 70 71

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,117
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Comic Addict Lad
Comic Addict Lad
Somewhere in the 30th Century
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star