Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad, thoth lad), 52 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by thoth lad - 05/15/24 05:20 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:41 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:40 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Re: The LMB Wiki!
#193533 10/16/11 07:30 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
If you want to contact Cru, try Facebook. He's been a bit too busy to log onto the boards for a while now.

#193534 10/16/11 09:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Nothing specific... I was just saying if there was anybody who wanted an article written up, but either didn't feel like trawling through old posts for details, or just wasn't really into writing that much, that I would love to do it on their behalf. That said, Lardy, I wouldn't mind doing one up for old "Clive", if you wanted.
Go ahead, if you want--I'd love to see your take on his history! nod And, as I said, I'm a little too consumed with "Lord of the Oval" to do anything with the Wiki. Let me know if there are any blanks you need to fill.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#193535 10/18/11 01:20 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Whew... down the rabbit hole with Clive.

I started researching him yesterday and that is one complex history for a guy who only kicked around for a couple years! I like the challenge, though, and I think I'll be able to do it justice. I'll bounce it off you in a couple days.

So... a categorization question for anybody that wants to chime in:

What do you think would be a good category for people who are not themselves heroes, villains, or even allies of the LMB... just peripheral characters that one or more members might know? I'm looking for a blanket term to cover both personal associates and family members.

In a fictional setting, you could say "supporting characters" and that would cover people like Lois Lane and Alfred Pennyworth, but if we don't want to have references to the fictional nature of these stories, what would you call such people?

I was thinking that "associates" itself might just be best, but do you think that is too formal a term to be inclusive of family members, as well?

Thoughts?

#193536 10/18/11 01:26 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
They don't all live on Legion World, right? So we can't call them citizens.

Associates sounds good. Certainly better than "Others".

#193537 10/18/11 01:32 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I think either "supporting characters" or "associates" would work. I guess I prefer the former to the latter a little. Of course, there's also "Gen-Chars", though admittedly some of those have played a much bigger role than others.
Whew... down the rabbit hole with Clive.

I started researching him yesterday and that is one complex history for a guy who only kicked around for a couple years! I like the challenge, though, and I think I'll be able to do it justice. I'll bounce it off you in a couple days.
Yeah, I "saw" you researching some of Clive's highlights and took a stroll down memory lane. I know Clive as "Lard Lad Robot" first popped up during the time Lardy left LW to live on the Sorceror's World after he married Dru. He had a pretty steady presence. Then, after Lardy returned to active duty around Five Faces of Death, both Lardy and Clive had parallel storylines.

I wonder if you've discovered how Clive came to take his name? hmmm

#193538 10/18/11 02:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
I wonder if you've discovered how Clive came to take his name? hmmm
Come on now, brother, what sort of entry-level researcher do you take me for?

The night of July 9th 3007, the Lard Lad Robot dined at The Beacon restaurant with Babette, the android server from SHAKES. Being wooed by his charms, she referred to him as an Adonis, then remarked that his "smoldering, yet compassionate good looks" reminded her of the 20th century actor, Clive Owen. Asking her preference between the names "Adonis-bot," or "Clive," she chose the latter, and he changed his name accordingly.

Sheesh.. everybody knows that! wink

#193539 10/18/11 02:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
How in Hades do ya track down all that info, Ex?!?! I mean the "search" function ain't all that comprehensive! confused

In any cae...well done, my friend!

*sigh* Clive and Babette's brief courtship was fun!

#193540 10/20/11 12:30 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Ex, I'm really loving all your recent entries. The Floating Foxlike Creature one was brillaint and I know that poster would enjoy it.

Always let me know if I can be a resource for you as you do things. I have a list of people, places and events that I keep in my "LMB folder" that I plan to get to on the wiki, but I've just been busy in real life and with the Novella lately to do so. But I do plan to get started again eventually!

I love that you've offered to do an entry for folks who may not have the time or inkling to do so. I suggest people take up Ex on this generous and awesome offer!

#193541 10/20/11 08:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thanks a lot, man. I'm having a blast revisiting this project. I was pretty gung-ho when it first kicked off, but went into a extended lull for about six months or so. This is my second wind, I guess.

I've been doing a lot of clean up work the past couple of weeks, adding links, categories, etc. and trying to fill in some gaps using existing "wanted pages" as targets (mostly launching off of your "Triumvirate" and "LMB Leadership" articles).

Some non-character articles I've added over the past couple of weeks, but didn't announce here yet, are some smaller sub-team articles:

Legion World Founders
LMB Founders
Legion of Former Deputies

Some of the Legion World institutions:

Grand Central Space Port
Legion World Orphanage
Legion World Playground
The Museum of Legion Arts

A couple planets (from the whole N'Chaka thing):

Throon
Vuruna

A couple more Primary Color Gang articles:

Lifeline
Metropolis Place

and the newly revised, "definitive" Exnihil article:

Exnihil

Yeeeeeeah... it's been a slow couple of weeks at the office. wink

#193542 10/23/11 04:44 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Awesome, awesome, awesome! I've begun reading through them, loving them as I go.

One editorial suggestion I'd make is that on the LW Founders page, I'd add that their authority over the LMB exists only pertaining to matters for the governance of Legion World. (Since they have no official authority over the LMB other than the type a Government official like a Mayor might have over a citizen). When off LW, they have absolutely no authority except for how it would be applied within the LMB leadership system. One caveat, however, is because of their longtime role as figures of authority, parts of the LMB membership often looks to them during major decisions.

#193543 10/23/11 04:49 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
And wow, just read the Grand Central article! Well done! You totally connected it all together brilliantly--and I know it's never been laid out like that before.

When we do the next LMB history volume, I think it might have to be as co-writers since you enjoy it just as much as I do.

#193544 10/24/11 08:23 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Wow, Cobie, thanks!

Yeah, I completely dig the world of the LMB. It's pretty much the same phenomenon for me as the actual Legion, that type of massive universe just rife with minutia. A key difference though, and something I think make it even more enjoyable for me, is that because it is a collaborative work of so many different people with different styles, it's always so fun to try to make it contiguous. Every little bit, from the deadly serious to the silliest inanities, can be fit into a whole without having to jettison a bit. That just rules.

On the topic of the Wiki in general, over this weekend (and still ongoing), the site has been the target of massive spambot attacks. A question for anyone with previous wiki experience (I'm thinking Reboot), apart from simply blocking individual IP's, is there a more comprehensive safeguard that a general admin (that is to say, not the site owner) could enact to stem the spam tide?

#193545 10/24/11 12:31 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Wow. Just... wow. I haven't read all of them yet, Ex, but I love your Exnihil and Survivor: Marzal articles.

I just stokes me how together, we've created this awesome shared universe. Makes me proud to be part of it.

#193546 10/27/11 08:04 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
A question for anyone with previous wiki experience (I'm thinking Reboot), apart from simply blocking individual IP's, is there a more comprehensive safeguard that a general admin (that is to say, not the site owner) could enact to stem the spam tide?
Not really - even rangeblocks need tweaks to LocalSettings.php to enable. And I notice none of the extensions installed at LegionWiki are present on LMB Wiki .

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#193547 10/27/11 11:31 PM
Fabulous and Sparkly!
OP Offline
Fabulous and Sparkly!
Just a reminder on a related note to the bots that Ex mentioned: Please log in before you make any edits. It makes it much easier for us when we patrol for spam and vandalism when we can see that edits are made by a legitimate user.

The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."
#193548 11/15/11 09:36 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just an FYI for anyone planning on contributing to the wiki in the future:

After fighting off rampant spam-bot vandalism for a month or so, a couple of small safeguards have been added to the site. Nothing too excessive or inconvenient, just a couple things to try to keep the content legitimate:

- Anonymous editing has been blocked. That is to say, unless a registered user is logged in, no pages may be created or modified.

- A simple Q&A validation has been added to the registration process. Basically, when a new user first registers they just have to answer a simple Legion-related question. It's easy enough that anybody here would know the answer, but hopefully wouldn't be something that a bot could parse.

And that's it. Simple enough, and hopefully it does the trick.

#193549 11/15/11 09:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thank you EX !

#193550 11/16/11 02:58 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
WOW! What Power Boy said - thank you.

Just a Q - what if one of us forgets our password? Any way to retrieve it?

#193551 12/22/11 10:32 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Sorry for the delay in response, Ibby... I took a bit of a break from the wiki after the "Great Bot fight". I imagine if you ping Nightcrawler, he should be able to retrieve lost passwords.

So, it looks like the wiki has been spam-free for a while now, so it seems the stopgaps worked. Some recent articles added that I don't think I posted here yet are:

A couple bits that I think are tied into the Tempest pantheon:

The Forbidden Mountains
Maleficent

A very minor bit of the Primary Color Gang mythos:

The Micro de Sade

Celebrating his return in the Lord of the Oval story, charter member:

Goon Boy

and what I hope will actually be one of the most useful reference pages from the wiki:

List of LMB members

The latter still needs about 4 years worth of chronology and there is a ton of info missing for the list that I have so far, but I think it's a pretty good start.

I still plan on doing up an article for Clive, Lardy, I just took a break for this for a bit.

EDIT:

Boring day at work, so I did a couple more for some long absent honorary LMBers:

Cookie Monstress and
Series-5 Ranger

#193552 12/23/11 01:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ever wonder about the true story of Santa? The LMB wiki explains it all:

Santa Claus

Merry Christmas!

#193553 12/23/11 01:58 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I love it Ex! As I told you privately, the Goon Boy entry is incredible!

I would only change that Cobalt and Mystery Lad are genuine founders, not additional charter members. The LMB as an organization was not officially formed until they linked up with the other three. This goes along with Lash's original post, Cru's Founders Park, etc.

Gotta protect my resume wink

#193554 12/23/11 02:01 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
And lol on Santa!

Half of that I made up in a drunken haze I think. laugh

Is the other half from you? It's hilarious!

#193555 12/23/11 02:02 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Easy fix on the founder thing... done and done. smile

#193556 12/23/11 02:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
And lol on Santa!

Half of that I made up in a drunken haze I think. laugh

Is the other half from you? It's hilarious!
Nope... everything in that article (and almost all the ones I write) are sourced in full from Legion World, the Yahoo Group, or the LMB archive. The only time I embellish is for the sake of a smooth article flow, but I try to keep all the content as close to "real" history as I can.

#193557 12/27/11 03:54 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
A couple quick additions for some bygone LMBers from the earliest days:

Ding Boy and
Chip Ahoy! Boy

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,330
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Clovyr Crymsun Kid's Sidekick, timeless one
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
SCarlet
SCarlet
the Hive
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star